• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

If the Devs Announced That Scripting Was OK...

• Thread starter Morgana LeFay (PoV)
  • Start date
  • Watchers 8

Would you quit if the Devs said they were not fixing cheating?

• Yes - I would cancel all of my accounts and quit.

Votes: 44 24.6%
  • Yes/No - I would cancel some of my accounts and hope they changed their minds later.

Votes: 14 7.8%
  • No - I don't care if other people cheat, I just want to play UO.

Votes: 83 46.4%
  • No - Why would I quit? I am a cheater!

Votes: 38 21.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nails

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
they ban people and burn their houses to the ground who dupe and do all sorts of cheating... as usual your wording is wrong, the poll is fine.
I'm not sure how many people actually know this but all those houses that burned were from one player and his luna sales houses and out of luna macro houses. That guy had to have the same set up on every single shard and selling on ebay and his own site to finally get them to do something. I wouldn't celebrate that too much. it was like taking a pee on a wall in front of the whole police department.

Paulonius

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would add a response to your Poll: "I will close all of my accounts if EA makes it impossible to script". That would be my response.

I like developing characters and running vendors. I don't have a lot of time to play, but when I do I don't want to spend it mining or camping a spawn for gold that isn't fun. I think the little vending I do is probably good for the game economy, but we can disagree on that if you like.

Bottom line, scripting that allows me to develop characters and resources goes away and I close my accounts.

I think there are a lot of people who, like me, script to make the game enjoyable, but are happy to see EA police people using 3Pprograms that affect the client and allow players to dominate PvP with speedhacks and the like. In the 13ish years I have been playing I think game devs have done a decent job of staying on top of these sort of hacks. There is always a new one to defend against, so there will always be someone using one that works.

Just my 2 cents.

XIIxOveR

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suppose I script a little bit. ;)

Frankly, it's scripting that's kept me playing this game for more than 4 years now. I couldn't imagine evaluating loot by hand again. Those days are sooooo 1997.
ROFL!! I LOVE this guy!! No, seriously...I do. ;) TM you sound like my daughter "Dad, that is SO last year!".

Not everyone scripts to have an advantage over other players by the way. Most people I know do it for, in order of importance, 1) training skills, 2) gathering resources for their own use or small-scale vendoring operations, and 3) easing tasks such as what TM mentions above (loot eval). Many are adults with busy lives that get to play an hour or two a few times per week and just want to maximize their experience. I know this doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of people out there doing more, just that they don't represent the majority.

I don't script nor do I condone it :D . However, if it wasn't for the fun of writing them, using them, and tweaking them I would have cancelled my accounts a long time ago. I'll certainly be disappointed when the day comes where that activity is "shut down" but I'll have zero regrets as I pull the plug on my multiple account, 8-year legacy and turn to other, likely more fulfilling pastimes.

I voted "No, I don't care if other people script, I just want to play UO" - which obviously means playing UO the way I like to play UO.

XIIxOveR

Paulonius

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just an addendum to my previous post. I noticed someone suggesting that the reason non-scripters don't gather resources and stock vendors is that the market is ruined by scripters. My experience suggests that this is off and I doubt people would jump in to fill the shoes of folks stocking vendors with the fruits of scripts. Make a couple of characters on some of the less populated shards and poke around Luna. You won't find much. My guess is that every Luna would look the same and it would be that much less fun to play.

T

Trailmyx

I don't script nor do I condone it :D
XIIxOveR
A little birdy told me that this might be a bit of a fabrication.... ;)

I'm always amazed how GRUMPY the Stratics folk are. lol. I have never played for profit in this game; if I need boards, I chop them. Ingots? Well, I mine those. It's funny to me that most of the pot-banging that goes on around here regarding anti-scripting are people who are trying to "make a profit". So I guess scripting isn't all that bad for me because I play to have fun and strike a balance between my R/L demands and those required by my UO addiction.

When I start getting bent out of shape about other people and how they play the game is when I need to evaluate what motivates me to continue to play. So I just "chillax" and have fun. I highly recommend it!

-TM

Lord Chaos

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, even if speedhacking were legal, it wouldn't prevent you from being the slowest pvper on the shard. Do you see how this works? If it's legal, it's very nearly compulsory.
Its no more or less compulsory than it is now. You have a choice, at least if it was legal you could gain equal footing.

Gathering resources is a basic income source. Or they can be parlayed into crafts. In either case, the principle is the same. A human player doing a few hours a day simply cannot compete with a bot that runs all the time. The market collapses, and the miner/lumberjack/etc thinks "screw this, I can make 20 times as much in the few hours I play by camping x with my cookie-cutter sampire". It strips out the diversity and replaces it with monoculture.
Its always been more profitable to hunt than it was to mine overall. And again, nothing prevents you from gathering resources for yourself and not play "I want to make a profit" miner. Also keep in mind that mining is often without risk and as such shouldn't be more profitable than risky hunting.

Now, you may say rampant scripting already exists and there's virtually no lucrative market for resources now anyway, but that would only be reinforcing my point.
There has really never been much of a lucrative market for resources like wood and ore. Just gather for your own need.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they did come out and say that, I would feel much better for all of the hours I let a program train my characters through so many skills.

Granted, I never used a script for anything more than skill training, I wish someone whould have created a program to let me steal more. :) ...la

L

lucksi

I´d still play and I´d still use scripts.

Yes, I do use scripts. While I don´t use the resource gathering scripts, I will always use a looting script, cause there is no way in hell I dig through the mountain of trash on a corpse which is smaller than a post stamp on my monitor. Or can I sue EA for eye surgery when my eyes fail cause they force me to have my head 5 centimeters from my monitor? Sod this really.

And before the original client got the "craft x amount of items" from the EC, I also didn´t click a button hundreds of times because I needed some new potions.

If that makes me a cheater, then meh. Never been paged upon, never seen a GM.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm not going to vote in the poll because if the devs say something is ok, it is no longer cheating, and that isn't covered in the questions.

What I have a problem with specifically when it comes to the issue of cheating is rules that aren't enforced, or even remotely consistently enforced, as has been the case with UO since it's earliest days. What happens in that situation is you end up with the honest players playing one game, and the cheaters playing another game, and the game that the honest players are playing will be much more difficult than the one the cheaters are playing, and they essentially become sheep for the cheaters to do with what they will.

If they were to clearly state that scripting is ok, go ahead, knock yourself out, I would probably not have that much of a problem with that decision because it would mean that everyone was playing on a level playing field. But they would have to adjust the game design to account for that, because it would be a game changing announcement. Would it change the game for better or for worse? Well, the answer to that question would probably be "yes". As is the case with most things, there would be positives and negatives about a decision like that.

But the big problem is that even if they announced that scripting was fine, they would still have to effectively police their game, unless they were to turn it into a wild west of exploitation. All the decision to allow scripting would do is move the dividing line between the honest and dishonest players, it wouldn't get rid of it.

xxmoondancerxx

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there a poll for whiners? I would like to vote on that. :lol:

Oh yes and someone did mention so the people who said they would leave and cancel their accounts. Why haven't you done so already? Wake up call. Scripting has been around a long time. I think you should cancel it before you need to pay that extra money come your billing cycle!! So that is a great question. Why have ALL NON Scripting people (who whine) stop playing? Oh btw when you do please contact me. I want your stuff! LOL

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh what a shocker...2/3 of the people voting are not against scripting! Sorry morgana looks like your little poll backfired on you :sad4:

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I´d still play and I´d still use scripts.

Yes, I do use scripts. While I don´t use the resource gathering scripts, I will always use a looting script, cause there is no way in hell I dig through the mountain of trash on a corpse which is smaller than a post stamp on my monitor. Or can I sue EA for eye surgery when my eyes fail cause they force me to have my head 5 centimeters from my monitor? Sod this really.

And before the original client got the "craft x amount of items" from the EC, I also didn´t click a button hundreds of times because I needed some new potions.

If that makes me a cheater, then meh. Never been paged upon, never seen a GM.
Yes that does make you a cheater. You can use the EC now to right click to loot. There are no excuses for using a loot script. Loot scripts at idocs or in Felucca are incredibly unfair. I remember hearing some cheaters talking about their loot scripts at an idoc a few years ago. The honest players might as well not have showed up, they had just about 0 chance of getting anything of value.

T

Trailmyx

I'm really not all that surprised with the present results, even here at Stratics. I've played from the beginning (I've never quit) and have always been open-minded about different ways of playing the game so I've talked to lots of people confidentially regarding script usage. More often than not, I've found that people use scripts at one level or another.

But I applaud Morgana for posing the poll.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let me ask you something then Llewen, if a script is emulating something possible in the EC that is not in the old client how can you honestly sit there and state that it is cheating?

N

NASA

There's an old saying, people who live in glass houses shouldn't thow stones.

If you've ever sat at the bank in Luna so your character wouldn't log out. Your cheating by exploiting the game mechanics for your own benifit.

If you've ever set a huge pile of hides as your last target so you can put it on your cursor, cut it up, and send to the bank w/ a BOS. You are cheating by exploiting a bug.

If you have ever bought gold or item w/ cash from a reseller. Your cheating (how do you think they got all those resources they are selling) by proxy.

And the list could continue on and on.

Here is an article all about the reason you are addicted this this game.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html

All that being said. Here is a farmers tale.
There once was a farmer. His day was long and hard. He got up before the dawn broke, went out to the fields and bug the furroughs and planted his crops, all by hand, since he had no tools to help him. He didn't live very long since the work and his existance was so hard.
His son, of which he had many to help with the work, came up w/ an idea. And he invented the hoe, which made the work a little easier. He was able to do the work his father had done plus a little more. This helped him and his family improve there lot in life. But it was still a short and hard life.
This farmer also a several children, and one invented a plow that could be pulled behind an animal. And farming became even easier. He was able to send his children to school and bring in more crops and feed more people than his father or his grandfather.
One of his children invented the steam powered tractor. And the family grew more prosperous, bought more land, and more children went to school.
One of his children invented the gas powered tractor.
And one of his children invented the combine, another the satelite.
And a third said, "why don't we use the satelite to control the combine"
So low and behold the automatic combine was created, and all the farmer had to do was sit back in airconditioned comfort, listening to a little music or mabye reading a book while the machine did all the work, while he kept an eye on things to make sure they ran smoothly.
Do you think that great great great great great grandpa, thought they were cheating, or was he proud that they found a better way to deal w/ the skinner box of life.

Just my 2 cents

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Let me ask you something then Llewen, if a script is emulating something possible in the EC that is not in the old client how can you honestly sit there and state that it is cheating?
Let's just take that loot script at an idoc that I was talking about as an example. It had some kind of database for values for every item in the game. It could be set up to only loot items over a certain value. It could do in seconds what it would take minutes for a person to do, and it would do it without making a mistake.

It would search through a container, and it would miss nothing. Everything it did could be done legally by a human at a keyboard, only it would do it ten times faster than even the most accomplished legal looter, and it never made a mistake. The person using the loot script got every item of value from every container in range.

The only person that would beat that script was someone who managed to get incredibly lucky, or someone else using the same, or a similar script. How you can fail to see that as cheating, is beyond me.

Illegal pharmaceuticals and procedures don't make athletes do anything they couldn't do without them, they just make them do it faster, and with more strength, and with more endurance.

T

Tinsil

This isn't accurate though imo..

Stratics seems to have an unproportionally large number of self-righteous do-gooders or people who don't admit they cheat/have cheated.

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well they made valuable ore spawn at random locations in order to prevent scripters from exploiting. either they will fix it at the root or something similar of the ore issue could trickle down into SA resource gathering.

something else that needs to be said. today's players seem like young immature spoiled pos that think they are entitled to everything. there is no 'scripting' in RL.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
All that being said. Here is a farmers tale.
There once was a farmer. His day was long and hard. He got up before the dawn broke, went out to the fields and bug the furroughs and planted his crops, all by hand, since he had no tools to help him. He didn't live very long since the work and his existance was so hard.
His son, of which he had many to help with the work, came up w/ an idea. And he invented the hoe, which made the work a little easier. He was able to do the work his father had done plus a little more. This helped him and his family improve there lot in life. But it was still a short and hard life.
This farmer also a several children, and one invented a plow that could be pulled behind an animal. And farming became even easier. He was able to send his children to school and bring in more crops and feed more people than his father or his grandfather.
One of his children invented the steam powered tractor. And the family grew more prosperous, bought more land, and more children went to school.
One of his children invented the gas powered tractor.
And one of his children invented the combine, another the satelite.
And a third said, "why don't we use the satelite to control the combine"
So low and behold the automatic combine was created, and all the farmer had to do was sit back in airconditioned comfort, listening to a little music or mabye reading a book while the machine did all the work, while he kept an eye on things to make sure they ran smoothly.
Do you think that great great great great great grandpa, thought they were cheating, or was he proud that they found a better way to deal w/ the skinner box of life.
Ridiculous. We're talking about a game here, not someone's farm. The essence of a game is it's rules, and the essence of a multiplayer game is competition within the limits of those rules. Winning a game should be about planning, determination, skill and intelligence, not about who managed to find the most inventive ways to break the rules of the game.

If there are no rules, there is no meaning to the game being played. If the playing field is not "level" and if everyone is not playing the same game by the same rules, there is no meaning to the competition. These are fundamentals of game playing behaviour, fundamentals which cheating violates.

Cheating in a game isn't an act of creative genius which should be applauded, it is cheap, dirty and most often accompanied by other destructive behaviours, such as bullying. It soils the reputation and accomplishments of everyone who plays the game, and it destroys the integrity of the game.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would write a script for the owner of my shop to be logged in 24/7.... in character of a grumpy old coot.... wandering around babbling things, restocking vendors and randomly ejecting customers.

N

NASA

Ridiculous. We're talking about a game here, not someone's farm. The essence of a game is it's rules, and the essence of a multiplayer game is competition within the limits of those rules. Winning a game should be about planning, determination, skill and intelligence, not about who managed to find the most inventive ways to break the rules of the game.

If there are no rules, there is no meaning to the game being played. If the playing field is not "level" and if everyone is not playing the same game by the same rules, there is no meaning to the competition. These are fundamentals of game playing behaviour, fundamentals which cheating violates.

Cheating in a game isn't an act of creative genius which should be applauded, it is cheap, dirty and most often accompanied by other destructive behaviours, such as bullying. It soils the reputation and accomplishments of everyone who plays the game, and it destroys the integrity of the game.
So you have never done any of the first three things mentioned???

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I believe there already is one. I was perusing through the crafting forums, and found it funny that the method that most are using to raise Imbuing, just so happens to match exactly the most popular Imbuing script on the 3rd party page. Right down to the number of items, and how many it should take, and the properties to use....Oh but those folks aren't scripting...too funny.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
This isn't accurate though imo..
This is perfectly accurate. I was there, and I witnessed what happened. At that same idoc someone placed a castle the second the old one fell using a script (this is no longer possible). The cheaters entirely cleaned up that day, and the honest players might as well have stayed home.

What made it even better was that this idoc was in Felucca so there was a lot of pvp, and of course the cheaters cleaned up in pvp that day as well. I'm ashamed to admit I was allied with the cheaters, and I was in their Vent, which is how I knew exactly what was going on.

When this happened I tried to pull my guild out of the alliance, and when I failed at that I resigned from my guild and declared war on the guild that I now knew was full of cheaters. It was great fun, and made me feel pretty terrific to be honest. I terrorized them for a long time before I took a break from the game, and I did it without cheating... ;)

This is one of the main reasons why I don't run with a pvp guild. I know that most, if not all of them, have cheaters in them, and I don't want to be on the same side as cheaters. I was once, and I don't want it to happen again. I am very much hoping that the new 3rd party cheat detection works, if for no other reason than maybe it will eventually help me find some clean allies...

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
So you have never done any of the first three things mentioned???
It is impossible to do anything in this game without it being tainted by cheating. If you buy anything from any vendor in the game, or loot anything from an idoc, there is a very good chance that it was obtained using a cheat.

All I can say is I have never knowingly purchased anything from a vendor that I knew was obtained using a cheat, but I am certain that I have purchased plenty of items that were obtained using a cheat unknowingly.

I would like that situation to change. The only way not to support cheaters and cheating right now is to stop playing UO. I happen to enjoy the game, and I already quit once in part due to that reason, at this point I am not going to do it again.

At this point my strategy is to stay with the game and attempt to get it cleaned up from the inside. It's the best I can do, and you are not going to succeed if you are trying to assign blame to my actions. I certainly am not accountable to you, and I have done nothing to be ashamed of.

I have never even downloaded "The-Program-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named" or any of the similar programs that have been available over the years other than UOA, which I also never downloaded or used until it was legal. Cheaters love pointing the finger for their own reasons, but if you are pointing them at me, you are pointing them in the wrong direction.

I play the game clean, I pvp clean, and I've done my best to dismantle the culture of cheating that exists in UO over the years. That's the best I can do, and I certainly am not accountable to you in any way shape or form... ;)

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
There's an old saying, people who live in glass houses shouldn't thow stones.
I'll put to you this way:

- In over seven years of playing UO I have never had a character of mine jailed.
- In over seven years of playing UO I have never received even a temporary ban on any account of mine, of any duration, or any mark on any account of mine whatsoever.
- In over seven years of playing UO I have never even received a warning from a GM about anything whatsoever.
- As I said, I have never even downloaded "The-Program-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named", let alone installed it, or any similar program.
- And now that third party cheat detection is live, I have absolutely nothing to worry about. It could have a 100% detection and accuracy rate, and I would have nothing to worry about.

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let's just take that loot script at an idoc that I was talking about as an example. It had some kind of database for values for every item in the game. It could be set up to only loot items over a certain value. It could do in seconds what it would take minutes for a person to do, and it would do it without making a mistake.

It would search through a container, and it would miss nothing. Everything it did could be done legally by a human at a keyboard, only it would do it ten times faster than even the most accomplished legal looter, and it never made a mistake. The person using the loot script got every item of value from every container in range.

The only person that would beat that script was someone who managed to get incredibly lucky, or someone else using the same, or a similar script. How you can fail to see that as cheating, is beyond me.

Illegal pharmaceuticals and procedures don't make athletes do anything they couldn't do without them, they just make them do it faster, and with more strength, and with more endurance.
I don't get it. Your response was in no way related to the thing you quoted.

Balinor of Pk?

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I personally think that the route the devs have taken so far to curtail scripting has been very positive. Instead of fighting tooth and nail with scripting, they've taken steps to curtail it. Anyone that knows anything about the way UO and scripting works, will know it's entirely impossible to eradicate scripting from UO. It's GOING to happen in some form or another. It's not scripting that's the issue. It's creative programming that will win the day for the non scripters here. Ala: Instanced corpses... progessively harder spawns ala champs/mini champs, random resource spawn locations... all of these things are great ideas and went a long way to curtailing scripting in general. UO needs more of that. Fighting with scripting will make it worse I bet. Not better. Curtailing it without a big fight is a very positive and mature way to handle it. I for one applaud the devs for being so far sighted. I hope they continue with more of the same. Lets throw down the creative gauntlet! Not rattle the scabbards. Honestly if you look at some of the enhanced client features, they look a lot like some of the things people have been clamoring about that scripting allows. One thing I've always wondered tho is why all this free/cheap talent goes untapped. :) Stratics polls are not a good indicator of what things should and should not be done. This poll proves that. You touch on a topic that more than just Stratics goers are interested in, and look at the numbers... I bet those will rise in favor.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Ah well, I have a head cold and I'm a bit out to lunch - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! I misunderstood what was posted. Just imagine he posted what I thought he did and it will all make sense... :)

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You seem to be the biggest hypocrite in all of UO. You claim that these scripters believe they are "entitled to everything," sounds to me like all of your complaints are instances where YOU did not get EVERYTHING. A script cannot POSSIBLY loot everything at an idoc of value before everyone else...there are wait times built into UO for dragging items which limits even the power of a script. Not to mention something has to be within 2 tiles of said scripter for them to be able to loot. Sounds to me like your just a sore loser when it comes to the pixel rat race that consumes the trammy of UO.

- As I said, I have never even downloaded "The-Program-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named", let alone installed it, or any similar program.
See, the biggest problem with you scripter hate-mongerers is that you have no idea about the very thing you're arguing against. How can you sit here and dictate to me what is fair about something you have never attempted to use and know absolutely nothing about? Please make an attempt to at least be informed on the situation before you enter the argument.

P.S. You don't "install" the program...

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'll put to you this way:

- In over seven years of playing UO I have never had a character of mine jailed.
- In over seven years of playing UO I have never received even a temporary ban on any account of mine, of any duration, or any mark on any account of mine whatsoever.
- In over seven years of playing UO I have never even received a warning from a GM about anything whatsoever.
- And now that third party cheat detection is live, I have absolutely nothing to worry about. It could have a 100% detection and accuracy rate, and I would have nothing to worry about.
And I'll add this. There are plenty of others who could say the same things I have in this post. The cheaters would have you believe that "everyone is doing it", but that is a lie. Everyone is not doing it.

There are plenty of cheaters in UO, and they may even be in the majority, but there are still plenty of clean players as well, although the point I was responding to in the above post is taken. I expect everyone who has played UO for any amount of time at all has been tainted in some way by cheating, it's pretty much unavoidable. You can't do much of anything in UO without inadvertently being the beneficiary of someone's cheating.

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah well, I have a head cold and I'm a bit out to lunch - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! I misunderstood what was posted. Just imagine he posted what I thought he did and it will all make sense... :)
The correct response would have been to quote me and then give a long dissertation on gardening.

XIIxOveR

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well they made valuable ore spawn at random locations in order to prevent scripters from exploiting
All the randomization did was make it even more necessary to script in order to get enough higher-level resources to accomplish anything. It didn't "prevent" scripting, it supported it!

Think about it. You're an "honest" player. Maybe you're like me and only get to play 5 or 6 hours a week. You've been collecting BOD's once or twice a day on a few characters by hand and suddenly, after 8 grueling years of BOD collections, you somehow manage to be one of the lucky people to actually get a Valorite Runic large BOD (I've gotten 1 single small Val BOD in 8 years and it was for 20 Normal Metal Shields (gee...ummm...thanks?) but this is unrelated). You go and find all the smalls you need to fill from various BOD vendors, many who scripted the BOD retrievals to begin with of course, and are ready to get down to business and fill that bad boy!!

But alas, you pop open your long-ignored resource container only to find that you are down to your last 100 Valorite ingots :( Oh No! Now you have to go get enough Valorite to fill that Runic BOD! What do you do? Now, you could shop for and buy the ingots from another player but you are "Mr Honest Player" who knows that the only people providing these resources more than likely scripted them anyhow and you certainly don't want to support such activities, so you load up the shovels, setup your favorite UO or UOA macro, and you hit the mountains to start mining by hand.

I can tell you with 100% surety that mining 1000 Valorite ingots will likely take you over 24 hours unless you get on a lucky streak. Considering, in this scenario, that you can play about 6 hours per week, you're looking at a month of nothing but mining to even get a shot at enough Val for that runic hammer. If you ran a script you could get it within a day or two.

Tell me again that the randomization change was meant to curb scripter's appetite.

X

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You seem to be the biggest hypocrite in all of UO. You claim that these scripters believe they are "entitled to everything," sounds to me like all of your complaints are instances where YOU did not get EVERYTHING. A script cannot POSSIBLY loot everything at an idoc of value before everyone else...there are wait times built into UO for dragging items which limits even the power of a script. Not to mention something has to be within 2 tiles of said scripter for them to be able to loot. Sounds to me like your just a sore loser when it comes to the pixel rat race that consumes the trammy of UO.

See, the biggest problem with you scripter hate-mongerers is that you have no idea about the very thing you're arguing against. How can you sit here and dictate to me what is fair about something you have never attempted to use and know absolutely nothing about? Please make an attempt to at least be informed on the situation before you enter the argument.

I said that.
No I see it the exact opposite way... since >I< do have everything, scripters don't want to put in the time that's needed to get what's worth having. The 'easy way out' defines so much more about someone than them just scripting in UO imho.

Y

Yalp

You forgot the response that says...

"EA can't fix the illegal 3rd party program issue, so starting next month for $9.99ea or $99.99 for 10 on UOGamecodes we will be selling programs written by our own development team to help augment the UO experience"

1)-SpEEdyGonZales.... helps you move like the wind
2)Gottagetathing..... loot that corpse with a push of a single button
3)Chuggachug-a...... pop the cork get those cure/heal/str/dex in your tummy lickity split
4) Ghost-modders..... hate running into walls, trees, gravestones? This ones for you!
5) XpickX..... Gather ye resources where ye may!

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are plenty of cheaters in UO, and they may even be in the majority, but there are still plenty of clean players as well, although the point I was responding to in the above post is taken. I expect everyone who has played UO for any amount of time at all has been tainted in some way by cheating, it's pretty much unavoidable. You can't do much of anything in UO without inadvertently being the beneficiary of someone's cheating.
Ok so you want EA to go against the majority, simply because YOU want it that way? I would give up everything "illegally" obtained if it meant avoiding the mundane, pointless tasks that are frankly outdated in UO. By the way, those IDOC's you mention are usually a direct result of scripting, therefore anything you loot is in turn illegally obtained.

Y

Yalp

Ok so you want EA to go against the majority, simply because YOU want it that way? I would give up everything "illegally" obtained if it meant avoiding the mundane, pointless tasks that are frankly outdated in UO. By the way, those IDOC's you mention are usually a direct result of scripting, therefore anything you loot is in turn illegally obtained.
once the EA team gets rid of all the illegal means of getting ahead in the game.. there is nothing.. NOTHING preventing anyone from promoting a change to the coding which legally allows some action of the illegal program to be legally implemented.

Have to have the loot sorted and pulled automatically for you? Have to move faster on foot, while casting, than 6 mounted players who are chasing after you? Have to be able to run a pot/box/apple script so you can live through a ganking of 5v1? Want to avoid the mundane task of training skills? Don't have the time to sit and farm resources?

Then advocate for the change to the game that these illegal program offer to you, so that all may benefit from the increased abilities of the game.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
A script cannot POSSIBLY loot everything at an idoc of value before everyone else...there are wait times built into UO for dragging items which limits even the power of a script. Not to mention something has to be within 2 tiles of said scripter for them to be able to loot.
Irregardless of built in delays, a script can still loot much faster, and much more thoroughly than a human controlled player can. On the specific day that I am speaking of there was more than one person script looting, and they were busy telling us all what they were getting as it popped into their pack. They even had a wave file that played for them when they found something really special.

Sounds to me like your just a sore loser when it comes to the pixel rat race that consumes the trammy of UO.
Ah the old meaningless "trammy" insult that the cheaters love to throw around when they can't think of anything else to say. I was pissed that day, thoroughly pissed. I was pissed because a friend of mine that was playing legitimately wanted to place a castle, and I had asked the others who were supposedly my friends and allies to come help us defend the idoc so he could place.

One of them said, "Woohoo!" Set up his script, and the instant the castle fell his script placed a new one. It was so fast the location barely blinked. Which incidentally placed all the loot in a pile under the sign, which was perfect for him and his script looting buddies because they didn't even need to move around to loot. They just sat there and ran their scripts.

I don't particularly care whether I got anything out of that idoc or not. It seems to me I did get a Soul Seeker which wasn't that big a deal back then, but I was thoroughly pissed about the castle and being back stabbed by people I thought were my friends.

Whether you "install" "The-Program-Which-Shall-Not-Be-Named" or not is irrelevant. I have never used it, so I wouldn't know. What I do know comes from discussions I have been a party to, and from reading a few of the scripts themselves, as well as some of the threads where the scripts are posted, which would include version notes, and descriptions of what the scripts do.

I have also been around online gaming for well over a decade, including hosting game servers (Half-Life and Source) for six years, during which time I have been exposed to the anti-cheat community for those games. So while I may be fuzzy on some of the details, and occasionally make factual errors when I discuss specific scripts and scripting capabilities, I actually do have a pretty good idea what I am talking about when I discuss this issue.

MiNi MaGi

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Scripting- as in running a *script* for resources, i have a huge prob with this.
now if your talking about other *programs* being used for *pvp* im 50/50 caus ei would love to see them removed. but at the same time i just do what i have to so i have level pvp.

o and if ea said do what u want.. the game would go to **** within a month...

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
they ban people and burn their houses to the ground who dupe and do all sorts of cheating... as usual your wording is wrong, the poll is fine.
Speaking of i found 2 burning houses on GL last night!! woulda been nice to see it IDOC instead :(

L

lucksi

Yes that does make you a cheater. You can use the EC now to right click to loot. There are no excuses for using a loot script. Loot scripts at idocs or in Felucca are incredibly unfair. I remember hearing some cheaters talking about their loot scripts at an idoc a few years ago. The honest players might as well not have showed up, they had just about 0 chance of getting anything of value.
I am only using a script to loot from my kills. I didn´t even know there was a script that loots at IDOCs.

And no, I won´t use the bleeping EC client. Screw them for wasting time on two new sucky clients and not giving the OC the same functions.

I will continue to script and maybe I´ll get banned. But you know what? At least that will finally get me to quit after 10 years. Only when everything is gone, there is no incentive to coming back :D

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You forgot the response that says...

"EA can't fix the illegal 3rd party program issue, so starting next month for $9.99ea or $99.99 for 10 on UOGamecodes we will be selling programs written by our own development team to help augment the UO experience"

1)-SpEEdyGonZales.... helps you move like the wind
2)Gottagetathing..... loot that corpse with a push of a single button
3)Chuggachug-a...... pop the cork get those cure/heal/str/dex in your tummy lickity split
4) Ghost-modders..... hate running into walls, trees, gravestones? This ones for you!
5) XpickX..... Gather ye resources where ye may!
:lol::lol::lol::lol: i'll take a crate of number four please.

and for those times you need to wipe out the entire shard in utter revenge,
UberGod-mode for $999.99 for 24hrs of killing power !

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Scripting- as in running a *script* for resources, i have a huge prob with this.
now if your talking about other *programs* being used for *pvp* im 50/50 caus ei would love to see them removed. but at the same time i just do what i have to so i have level pvp.

o and if ea said do what u want.. the game would go to **** within a month...
Three of the most common as dirt lies cheaters tell themselves.

- I have to cheat.
- I cheat to "level the playing field".
- UO will die if something is done about cheating.

- You don't have to cheat, no one is forcing you to cheat. That is a choice you make, and no one else makes it for you.

- You don't even need to cheat to "level the playing field". There are plenty of people, myself included, who pvp clean. You don't cheat to level the playing field, you cheat because you don't want to lose. Plenty of people who don't cheat pvp, and while they might not do as well as they would if they did cheat, and they don't win all the time, they are still competitive.

- UO will be better off in every way if the cheaters are dealt with and the cheating monster is finally tamed. It will never be killed, but it can certainly be beaten into submission, and if that happens EA will make more money off the game, and their clients will have a better experience. The only ones that will lose are those who are banned for cheating.

U

UOKaiser

For those that say make resource gathering and trammel things easier goes to what am saying the end of trammie life. When people can get everything they want easily there is no challenge the game ends.

So that the pvp crowed understand what it means of making things in trammy life easier, is like EA putting in a all kill button and all you need to do is log in press the kill switch and the whole shard drops dead. Sure this is going to bring you enjoyment for a little bit of time but after a year of loging in and pressing the kill button you will get bored and say to yourself is this it? I won UO and you will move on so you can spend your money on something challenging and up to date.

Ls Jax Ls

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Top 10 people who love to post meaningless and pointless lists:

-Llewen
-Llewen
-Llewen
-Llewen
-Llewen
-Llewen
-Llewen