• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Drops for the new encounter.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We appreciate constructive criticism, and certainly welcome it. I'm really glad you enjoyed the quest as much as we've enjoyed building it and can't wait to release the next parts as well!

Understanding that this question is going to get answered differently by anyone potentially asked, I'll go ahead anyway - what is it that you "need"? Not promising that responses are going to become a reality, but there's nothing wrong with a little wishful thinking :)

If you are going to be handing out weapons as loot, then it HAS to have mana leech. Period. Either that or it reduces the cost of it's specials (that are worth using).

When the idea came about that weapon users needed to have a use for their mana and tying them together... that makes mana regeneration paramount. Because of that one design decision you have limited the scope of what is a usable weapon.

It's going to take something really overpowered to get people to use a weapon that doesn't have mana leech on it.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We appreciate constructive criticism, and certainly welcome it. I'm really glad you enjoyed the quest as much as we've enjoyed building it and can't wait to release the next parts as well!

Understanding that this question is going to get answered differently by anyone potentially asked, I'll go ahead anyway - what is it that you "need"? Not promising that responses are going to become a reality, but there's nothing wrong with a little wishful thinking :)

I think alot of people forget just how hard it is nowadays thanks to imbuing/reforging to make an artifact that is competitive to it, but let me do my best to give some suggestions:

1. For PvM Weapons need Mana Leech, or they will just not be competitive with anything you can make. Its also really hard to compete with anything that has ability to AI. Mage artifacts that have harder to get properties like FC/FCR might give more flexibility on what you use instead of sticking with the same ol same ol. I think the bow is the most complete of the new arties as far as mods.
a. Captn Johne's Blade suffers from no Leech/bad specials. If it had been a longsword/broadsword it would see alot of use.

2. For PvP:
a. Hit Curse is useless since it passes through a resist check. Most pvpers have 120 resist, hence it will NEVER go off. If Equivocation was meant for PvM it suffers from the whole, no leech/no good specials problem.
b. Craven seems alright, but it wont be used for a couple of reasons. First off, replace the HLA with HLD which is essential in pvp. The Splinter is only really useful in pvp, so I take it this weapon was designed with that in mind. Remove the slayer, replace it with another useful mod such as a hit spell.

3. Pincer - Not sure if it was designed for PvP or PvM, but its a good weapon. It again suffers from some of the mods. Replace the life leech with Mana leech. Add SSI in place of the stamina regen. It instantly becomes a useable PvM weapon.

4. The Difficulty of the boss is where it SHOULD be. The drop frequency isn't high, and its not too low. I think an important part missing tho is maybe adding some kind of "Deco" drop. People buy deco, and people will go kill a boss knowing that A: they can sell that deco drop or B: Get the deco drop for themselves. With the Deco you don't have to worry about mods or competing with reforging. Look at the new stealables down there - That statue/bell/anchor are selling for over 160m each. If you put stuff like that, as drops on the boss it definitively would give people a reason to go kill it.

EDIT: Know what else works as drops? Clothing with mods. Add new clothing items available with new kind of mods, youll see alot of that get used somehow. IE stuff with luck/DCI/HCI/Nightsight/Regen ect ect.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Overall the questing, keys, everything involved is much better than any other boss encounter added since SA came out.

Last edited:

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I think weapons artifacts were a bad idea, with reforging and new loot generator now, we can have the high end weapons we all need. Also you guys should focus on revamping doom exemple or finish other anti virtues dungeons instead of adding new areas and new quests (note that I like this new quest tho but not really worth in the end if we look at drops) You're asking what poeple need artifacts talking ? I like the idea of random stats like the slayers weapons tho, or random resist much like the despicables quivers. You guys could do the same with sashes (random 10% resists sashes), There are no gloves with spell damage increase, no shield with spell damage increase in-game right now aswell, hrmmm what else is the game missing, a +100 luck sash or earrings, hrmm, theres not many sleeves artifacts in the game right now (midnight bracers and leviathan bracers come in my mind), maybe some kind of sleeves for warriors with swing speed, or some sleeves for mages with a +10 mage skill or maybe +10 defense chance. Im just throwing some random stuff but think about what the game is missing right now.

Last edited:

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Well what I/(we) need is a loaded question. I guess to simplify it you would have to look at it like this. We have imbuing and reforging now that can cater to and satisfy any build you could possibly want to be in the game. So to deem a armor or weapon piece as "needed" would be a hard task. So not only would you have to provide something on the weapons that people desire and can't get via reforging/imbuing (which you did with the bane property), you will also have to make the addition mods viable and useful in builds both pvp or pvm related. As they are right now with their set values I can't work that in to any dexxor build I use.
So to handle that vast list of possibility's you could either;
A. Make the additional properties random. This would give people the drive to farm it.
Or B. Make the items more clean with the ability to be imbued.
This is my idea for any weapon or armor piece drops.

Another way of looking at it is... Look at some items currently desired by the community.Most people pay a lot to get this items.
Crimson Cinctures
Conjurers garbs
Conjurers trinkets.
Lieutenant sash replica's
These are just 4 examples of drops that almost everyone uses in their suits in some way. So maybe you can expand on this in some way. Offer something slightly better or equivalent. Or maybe come up with some new item that can not be outdone via imbuing and reforging. Those are just some of my ideas. =)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Another way of looking at it is... Look at some items currently desired by the community.Most people pay a lot to get this items.
Crimson Cinctures
Conjurers garbs
Conjurers trinkets.
Lieutenant sash replica's
These are just 4 examples of drops that almost everyone uses in their suits in some way. So maybe you can expand on this in some way. Offer something slightly better or equivalent. Or maybe come up with some new item that can not be outdone via imbuing and reforging. Those are just some of my ideas. =)
Add Tangle... and you pretty much have it.

Dexers want SSI, and HML on things...

Mages want SDI and such on things...

With a mage I want FC/FCR on stuff.... but even dexers who use Chivy for healing want a lot of FC/FCR on things.

I won't hardly look at jewelery that doesn't have that...

Most Dexers use the Conjurers Trinket and Primer of Arms.

Mages like the new Mana phazing orbs... I'd like one too as a dexer if it came with SSI...Or a combination of HCI, DC and SSI...

I'd be happy with boots that had 5% DCI... or 2 Stamina Regen... or such.... Earrings as well but not to forget our Gargish friends...

I'd also like some slots added to the paperdoll for like a ring/necklace and such that are no mod... I'd like to be able to wear the ankh pendant with my suit... and my wedding band. If we are talking what we want I could make you list so long it'd take you years ... careful what you wish for.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Look at the new stealables down there - That statue/bell/anchor are selling for over 160m each. If you put stuff like that, as drops on the boss it definitively would give people a reason to go kill it.
Thanks for taking the time to write about the stealables! I was stupidly looking at the highlightable bell thinking it had some use.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We appreciate [...]
Another vote for HML to be on any Arty, as it currently stands (for PvM). I'd love to see something new--like Bane, or Berserk--but nothing has replaced the need for HML yet.

Having Bane is an interesting twist, but the mod has to be more consistent to compete with HML. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but the first thing a melee fighter wants is a base weapon that has good speed and nice specials. After that, we need the mana to keep the specials going and a way to heal in order to stay alive in the fight. Then the weapon is valued as either a PvP, PvM, or PvE type of weapon. The bow, for example, is PvE, something anyone is going to want if they have an archer. Other than that, I don't see any of the other items being too desirable.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet are special hued one-use dyes. We all like to dye our existing items :p.

sibble

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Honestly, with crafting/reforging/imbuing nowadays, I'm going to say that the best stuff being used is the stuff that gets customized by whoever is using it. With that being said, I think it would be AWESOME to ditch some of the properties on these weapons and make them imbue-able.

But that's just my 2 cents.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I haven't been able to finish it (curse of the solo player and being on TC1, haha), though I did enjoy the quest as well, and I can't wait for the rest of it - it was so much better than the mindless "all kill" spamming my tamer usually employs. Frequent deaths were not something I am familiar with on a tamer, nor can you just use "all kill" on Mercutio, the Djinn, and the Orcs (well, I got it to work on the Orcs...), without it being a massive headache and/or time-consuming.

Anyway, as someone who predominantly plays mages, I look for:

Mana Regen, SDI (which is "more important" in PvM, since PvP caps it on items), LRC, LMC, FC/FCR, and finally, DCI for PvP'ing.

The Real John

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think something with the mods of a conjurers trinket that provided a random slayer would make me drool all over myself.
I vote this I could and would spend days, weeks, months farming for a full set of trinkets.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'll add my must have mana leech into the hat. Its really hard to do anything over a blood elemental without mana leech.

I feel like you guys don't go far enough making hard to get artifacts powerful. Generally were lucky if they are better than simply imbued stuff, let alone reforged/enhanced.

I think it would be pretty sweet to have a few OMG Orny circa 2005 level artifacts. The kind of item that has a real impact, and when its drops its a serious event for the person who got it. There are a few items like this out there, but not enough IMO.

Other ideas would be items with exclusive properties like Bane... and nothing else, so you could make the bane wep you want. Or Bane and 50SSi... you get the idea. Maybe a "masterwork" (or whatever) items that have no mods but come with +100 imbuing cap (if thats even possible). Those kinds of things would be high level artifact quality drops I think.

LetheGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Prime.

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Neon Pink Spring dyes ;p

Apetul

Rares Fest Host | LS April 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I agree with most ppl here, useful artys means at least mana leech for pvm and hit spell for pvp. AND, if u want to make sure that ppl that already got the weaps for his template continue doing that boss.. u just need to add a very rare hair dye that is only obtainable from that boss, for example a Marble Hair Dye. Make it very rare, and ppl will go there just to get one and use it or to sell it.

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
what is it that you "need"?
Like I said, any weapon without 100% Hit Mana Leech is simply not going to be used, as I can reforge 100% on my weapons and any other choice is inferior both offensive and defensive.

After the armor revamp, I'm not using any armor except bone/studded as the 3% LMC is just too good, so don't bother to drop any metal armor for me either.

So what I'd need:
* A radiant scimitar with 100% mana leech and a reliable hit area effect.
* Bone or Studded armor with Lower Mana Cost, Dex/Stamina and Luck
* An Orc Helm with Hit Lower Defense to replace ugly Mace and Shield
* 100% hit mana leech weapons on 1-h weapon types with armor ignore and a few useful extra's such as slayers.
* Something like conjurer's garb, but in Fancy Dress form
* A gorget with 300 luck like Leurocian but with stats for fighters
* A better version of Museum Order Shield with 15 HCI and 15 DCI and Luck, but with martial stats instead of spell channeling
* Spell damage increase mage gear, like those 30% SDI books that no longer drop
* Spell damage increase gear for Gargoyles
* Belt items with awesome stats that is not an apron

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Like I said, any weapon without 100% Hit Mana Leech is simply not going to be used, as I can reforge 100% on my weapons and any other choice is inferior both offensive and defensive.

After the armor revamp, I'm not using any armor except bone/studded as the 3% LMC is just too good, so don't bother to drop any metal armor for me either.

So what I'd need:
* A radiant scimitar with 100% mana leech and a reliable hit area effect.
* Bone or Studded armor with Lower Mana Cost, Dex/Stamina and Luck
* An Orc Helm with Hit Lower Defense to replace ugly Mace and Shield
* 100% hit mana leech weapons on 1-h weapon types with armor ignore and a few useful extra's such as slayers.
* Something like conjurer's garb, but in Fancy Dress form
* A gorget with 300 luck like Leurocian but with stats for fighters
* A better version of Museum Order Shield with 15 HCI and 15 DCI and Luck, but with martial stats instead of spell channeling
* Spell damage increase mage gear, like those 30% SDI books that no longer drop
* Spell damage increase gear for Gargoyles
* Belt items with awesome stats that is not an apron
Though I would rather have something like a Circlet rather than an Orc Helm... I am not putting any stinky dead thing on my head.

And any luck filled Gorget is better than that hideous Mempo! Like to see my pretty face when I hunt. So a new one for mages would be nice too. Could drop both a mage and non-mage version my personal favorite gorget is the Hide Gorget.... but maybe you could use that and not have the elves only(but then honestly isn't it about time we did away with that silliness?). We need a lucky sash... a nice lucky sash with the 5% DCI would be perfect.

P.S. And if we are talking doing away with Silliness isn't it BEYOND time we did away with not being able to have spellweaving without doing that stupid quest? Spellweaving ought to be able to be gotten with an Advanced Character or Mythic Token really... ML is not new anymore it's time to loosen the noose on it. Keep the quest to get the book but lighten up on the rest...... Oh and for pity sakes let the silly scrolls be crafted except the ones you have to get from the quests.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Normally I 100% agree with Shakkara, but I have a slight disagreement here... I'd be happy with ML ~70%

Tanieran

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
What do we need?
Well, in keeping with some of the most asked for items in the thread and the ocean/shipwreck (AWESOME) theme of the quest:

A pirate flag we can display as a banner in our house/on our ships. (DECO) Alternatively a shadowlord themed flag/banner that can do the same.
A really big hat. (With "useful" item properties that people in the thread have already defined).
Rum. Rum that works like a drinkable potion and grants temporary bonuses.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

What we need is an item that prevents Tamers and Vortex mages being teleported; I know it's a major gameplay element, but it's not a fun one, especially when it means teleporting into the middle of Corgul's explosion which still causes a memory leak in the Enhanced Client, and then being frozen solid there. To balance it up, place it on an item that can't be Imbued, so people have to sacrifce that slot for the ability perhaps.

As it would drop on the Shadowlord of Falsehood, maybe call it "The Bracelet of True Standing" or similar, as it works to nullify his powers.

As for the arc itself, I've yet to play it fully myself, but it's clearly based on the story of Ultima V; so what ever stats are on the blade, I would like the Captain Johne's sword, for sentimental reasons...

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As for the arc itself, I've yet to play it fully myself, but it's clearly based on the story of Ultima V; so what ever stats are on the blade, I would like the Captain Johne's sword, for sentimental reasons...
It is. I did some reading the other day and found out about it myself - I knew the Ultima games existed, and that this is based on them, but I knew nothing about the games themselves. Unfortunately, if they're going to duplicate elements from Ultima V, some things are going to be impossible.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Confirmation that the devs either don't play the game or are oblivious to the people that do play the game. Have you not read any of the million threads about sampire/wammy builds,
How is that confirmation that they do not play or are oblivious to folks who play? I would submit the fact of him posting and asking for feedback shows they are not oblivious to the people who play. When it comes to them playing or not playing in all honesty that does not matter at all. One does not need to play a game to code what the game does. I would much rather have a dev working on code/bugs etc than browsing a million threads on sampire/wammy builds, or bank sitting in Luna or Fel Yew gate checking out folks gear to see what mods they should put on the next drops. They have people on the staff that DO play (last I checked Mesanna still plays a LOT), and they have people who's job it is to test the game and track down bugs that people report to them.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Confirmation that the devs either don't play the game or are oblivious to the people that do play the game. Have you not read any of the million threads about sampire/wammy builds, have you not looked at the trading forums and noticed what items/properties are selling for high prices, have you not sat at Luna bank or Fel Yew gate and noticed the same items and properties that are on everyone's suits/weps?!?!?!?! These things have been pretty consistent since shame loot came out, most have been the same years before the loot came out.
Or it's just confirmation that we are open to hearing what you'd like. It was pointed out elsewhere in the thread that making weapon artifacts is extraordinarily difficult in a post Imbuing/reforging world, and this is very true.

I also like to believe that not every player is interested in playing a "whammy" for the sake of playing a whammy. From my own main character's personal perspective he would never be interested in doing anything but being a swordsman because that's the persona that I've chosen to create for him over his 14 year history. Different people play different templates and we try to provide something for everyone.

All that being said, everyone's responses have been an extraordinarily helpful exchange and I hope you will be most pleased moving forward.

kongomongo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
I guess I'm one of the few people that just treat this as a game, no more no less. I'm not invested in my character's history or "persona." If their template is ineffective I change it. There are only one or two effective solo pvm templates so those are the two I play. None of the items released in this new quest are useful, for any purpose. Yeah making artifacts that can compete with imbuing and reforging is probably tough. You guys consider that when you roll out ANOTHER new crafting system.

Don't be so naive. Has the Sampire template always been in the game? No. New skills/arties/mechanisms change the game. Why should they continue to make even-better-ultra-sampire-gear? Really no need imo.

Last edited:

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I guess I'm one of the few people that just treat this as a game, no more no less. I'm not invested in my character's history or "persona." If their template is ineffective I change it. There are only one or two effective solo pvm templates so those are the two I play. None of the items released in this new quest are useful, for any purpose. Yeah making artifacts that can compete with imbuing and reforging is probably tough. You guys consider that when you roll out ANOTHER new crafting system.
This is a 16 year old game that has swaped hands and has been through many episodes of being neglected and revamped. We finally have a team that plays the game and cares enough to listen to us. Nothing happens overnight, and they have taken many baby steps improving the game and its content for us.
Attitudes like this will do nothing but aggravate and upset people. He didn't have to post here and ask what we would like to see but he did. That alone says something. Please don't bring angry negativity in to a conversation that up until now has been very productive.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't be so naive. Has the Sampire template always been in the game? No. New skills/arties/mechanisms change the game. Why should they continue to make even-better-ultra-sampire-gear? Really no need imo.
Since SE's introduction, technically, yes, it has - Combining Necromancy/Chivalry/Bushido wasn't difficult. It simply replaced (or, perhaps it'd be more correct to say it added to) the Necro/Chiv hybrid previously used by dexers. However, the fact remains that it wouldn't have been anywhere near as effective back then, compared to today's UO.

Kyronix: perhaps more replica items in the future? Specifically the Conjurer's Garb - as someone who didn't have an account active in 2009, I missed out on the Halloween events.

He shouldn't have to post here. That's my point.
You're right. He shouldn't have to...but would you want:

a) A Dev Team that just throws things in for the hell of it, not listening to the playerbase at all, or
b) A Dev Team that asks the players for feedback, because the players would know what they want/need better than the devs themselves would?

I don't know about you, but personally, I'd say B is the winner in a landslide.

Last edited:

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dunno, as far as the Bane weapons not being as good as they were thought to be, Bane was nerfed before anyone was able to test it extensively.

It originally started to proc at the targets 50% HP mark, dealing upto 30% of the targets max life, capped at 900 damage.
Now it's all the same, except it's capped at 350 damage.

If the damage wasn't reduced by the targets physical resistance (maybe Direct Damage), it would be good enough to not have mana leech on the weapon, and still be useful IMO

New Item Property Bane is found on certain weapons. This on hit property will only trigger when the targets health is below 50%. As the targets health decreases the chance for the property to fire will increase along with the damage inflicted. Bane has the potential to damage the target for up to 30% of the targets max hit points in physical damage. This damage cannot exceed 350 physical damage.
IMO The damage from Bane should be 'Direct damage', and NOT be reduced by any resistance types. (cap it at 20% max hp for PvP would be about 30 damage to someone at 150 hp.)

Also as some people suggest items with bane should be imbuable, so people could add what they'd like.

Or these Bane items could drop similar to 'Assassin Honed' weapons from wrong, where the only property would be 'Bane' and you could further imbue the item to whatever you wish it to be within the item weight/cap limit. I know I'd farm the boss near endlessly to get a set of weapons for my chars.

That would be awesome too, especially if it could be any random weapon (the drops/combinations could be near endless), it would also extend the life of this content. (the boss)...

So far, the drops I have not seen In-game, are the book (If it exists), and the gargoyle version of the Adhorrence bow.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah B would be nice, but asking for feedback about weapon mods?!?!? That's such a simple thing to know what is and is not useful that it shouldn't have to be asked. If they were actually taking feedback on stuff before developing it, like with despise revamp and the virtue v. vice hooha that's supposed to come through, I'd appreciate that a lot more. Asking why we all need ML and not 6 stam regen, or HLD over HLA, is something that should go without saying. If you have any basic understanding of the game or even just look at what players are doing for 10min it's pretty obvious. Hence the frustration.
He didn't ask about weapon mods. He asked very generally what type of things the players "need". That is a Pandora's box question that has been answered (surprisingly) very openly and professionally by most of us. And most people decided to comment about weapon properties. This is not specifically anything he asked about. he just asked what we need.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah B would be nice, but asking for feedback about weapon mods?!?!? That's such a simple thing to know what is and is not useful that it shouldn't have to be asked. If they were actually taking feedback on stuff before developing it, like with despise revamp and the virtue v. vice hooha that's supposed to come through, I'd appreciate that a lot more. Asking why we all need ML and not 6 stam regen, or HLD over HLA, is something that should go without saying. If you have any basic understanding of the game or even just look at what players are doing for 10min it's pretty obvious. Hence the frustration.
Right. Mana Leech is a given, same with HLD. Stam Regen, eh - Stam Leech exists (as do Refresh pots), and HLA is pointless - disarm exists. However, what a PvP char would want and what a PvM character would want are different, after all - you don't need HLD for PvM. A quick glance at Felucca would tell you what they want, I agree, but you can't just design loot for one playstyle or character class.

Despise revamp: I won't argue that one. I hate it, just like everyone else.

Virtue/Vice: if it doesn't suck, it doesn't suck. If it sucks, people won't bother with it.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He didn't ask about weapon mods. He asked very generally what type of things the players "need". That is a Pandora's box question that has been answered (surprisingly) very openly and professionally by most of us. And most people decided to comment about weapon properties. This is not specifically anything he asked about. he just asked what we need.
He asked right after everyone said how useless the current weapons were. It's assumed that's what he was asking about.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also like to believe that not every player is interested in playing a "whammy" for the sake of playing a whammy. From my own main character's personal perspective he would never be interested in doing anything but being a swordsman because that's the persona that I've chosen to create for him over his 14 year history. Different people play different templates and we try to provide something for everyone.

All that being said, everyone's responses have been an extraordinarily helpful exchange and I hope you will be most pleased moving forward.
Then can you please explain how you get around needing mana leech on your weapons? Whammy/sampire not withstanding (honestly, in most situations a straight paladin with HLL on the weapon can be just as, if not more, effective).

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Despise revamp: I won't argue that one. I hate it, just like everyone else.
You know, despise would be amazing IF it had a place to farm mobs in it. That's the only thing wrong with it, a 3 level dungeon devoted to one encounter.
An interesting concept, but it's the only thing you can really do in despise, ephemeral items can be good, but the problem with them (the wisp vendor ones) is if you build a suit around an item you get from the wisp, what are you going to replace it with, when it finally breaks?

This is why most people don't care so much for the despise revamp, aside from the fact some players use to train their lowbie chars there.

HP_Zoro_HP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Dunno, as far as the Bane weapons not being as good as they were thought to be, Bane was nerfed before anyone was able to test it extensively.

It originally started to proc at the targets 50% HP mark, dealing upto 30% of the targets max life, capped at 900 damage.
Now it's all the same, except it's capped at 350 damage.

If the damage wasn't reduced by the targets physical resistance (maybe Direct Damage), it would be good enough to not have mana leech on the weapon, and still be useful IMO

IMO The damage from Bane should be 'Direct damage', and NOT be reduced by any resistance types. (cap it at 20% max hp for PvP would be about 30 damage to someone at 150 hp.)

Also as some people suggest items with bane should be imbuable, so people could add what they'd like.

Or these Bane items could drop similar to 'Assassin Honed' weapons from wrong, where the only property would be 'Bane' and you could further imbue the item to whatever you wish it to be within the item weight/cap limit. I know I'd farm the boss near endlessly to get a set of weapons for my chars.

That would be awesome too, especially if it could be any random weapon (the drops/combinations could be near endless), it would also extend the life of this content. (the boss)...

So far, the drops I have not seen In-game, are the book (If it exists), and the gargoyle version of the Adhorrence bow.

Wouldnt it still be usable on "Wammies" though? (similar to sampire except instead of vampire form they go wraith form for MANA LEACH.) Then again I guess it would need to have life leach on the wep atleast.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wouldnt it still be usable on "Wammies" though? (similar to sampire except instead of vampire form they go wraith form for MANA LEACH.) Then again I guess it would need to have life leach on the wep atleast.
It would to a degree, the thing about Wammies, is that they Steal mana from their target, So this means, once the target is out of mana, you no longer get mana from hitting the target. So mana leech is still preferred.

Wammies use "Curse Weapon" to heal themselves. you need Spirit Speak to make Curse weapon last long enough to be effective.

For the record, Mana Leech, doesn't "Leech" mana, it generates it. Meaning your targets mana does not diminish when your mana leech procs.

Last edited:

HP_Zoro_HP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
It would to a degree, the thing about Wammies, is that they Steal mana from their target, So this means, once the target is out of mana, you no longer get mana from hitting the target. So mana leech is still preferred.

Wammies use "Curse Weapon" to heal themselves. you need Spirit Speak to make Curse weapon last long enough to be effective.

For the record, Mana Leech, doesn't "Leech" mana, it generates it. Meaning your targets mana does not diminish when your mana leech procs.
VERY HELPFUL.. I always wondered how on earth in wraith form on my caster I would stop getting mana back from the target when a sampire could use a mana leach weapon and go all day getting mana lol.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll repete myself as always. In the early views on Imbuing. How the list of artifacts would have a longer list of artifacts becoming deco or turn in points. That leads into how lame it was to not allow us to Imbue artifacts. Then you monkey pile on the revamp dungeon loot. That leaves little room for catching players fancy on any new artifact drops.

What I saw back then was a need for future artifact drops to have unique mods that was not on the imbue list. Then the rest of the artifact would be bare and with maybe different levels of higher imbue point caps. To have something like an artifact generator for armor that just had a random 15 skill points on it. With all the armor out there randomly spawned with a skill like 15 points of Taming. Even a bare boned Dragon Scale sleeves with 15 Taming and 600 imbue cap would be a more desired drop then what the current armor possibilities are. Even male characters would get in on a bidding war over a Bonnet with 15 Tailoring on it. Even artifact armor with SSI, HCI, DI or SDI and the rest left to the Imbuer's whim would be better. (Hey greed mongers. Think what theese type of artifacts would do for the Origin store sales on a certain tool!)

If the new Bane mod weapons just spawned with a 550 one hander 650 two hander cap on imbue. Random weapon type. Only mods being Bane and a random slayer/or SSI base off weapon speed would of been a better hit. At least there would be a snowballs chance for Lajatang or Scepter lovers to get a Bane weapon.

If an artifact blows or spawn to much. Boils down to, is it worth more in the trash or unraveled? Blank artifacts would be at the owner's option to leave virgin for vendor bait or Imbue to their liking. Artifacts that suck after Imbuing would be players fault. Only let down would be the random weapon generator for some and a win for another wanting to have a set of Crescent Blade Bane slayers in the bankbox. There is a reason vanilla ice cream is still around. The ability to control the size and ammount of Oreo cookies pieces added. Or Nutter Butters with Cherry Craisins.

Last edited:

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is why most people don't care so much for the despise revamp, aside from the fact some players use to train their lowbie chars there.
Pretty much. I loved Ogre Lord Island more than anything else in there. Recall in with pets in tow, train them for a bit, watch the corpses pile up, leave when bored. If they're gonna keep it as is, maybe move it to a dungeon that never gets used, like Hythloth? idk. Either that or restore the original spawn on the bottom level for those who don't want to do the revamped version.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^QFT

I look at mods like Hit Mana Drain and think, these could create interesting items. An artifact with Hit Mana Drain 100%, for example, could give a dexxer a new strategy as far as taking out a mage. Now all you need to worry about is specials, firebreath, melee, and minions...but then, it would still take awhile for that 100% drain to reduce the target's mana to true zero.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let's see, so like a Dark Father has 5,000 Mana. Hit Mana Drain reduces current mana by 20% of the damage inflicted, so if you hit for, say, 100 damage, you reduce the current mana by 20 points. That's 250 consecutive hits without considering mana regen rates.

With an Abyssal Blade, which has a 50% Hit Mana Drain, you're talking 500 consecutive hits (assuming perfect odds). At a rate of 2 seconds a swing assuming static 150 stamina, that's 16 and a half minutes before the target reaches 0 mana. That's way too long considering the variable of whether or not you'll hit, the variable of whether or not you'll proc., and the variance in current stamina.

The Impaler's Pick is even worse, as it has a 10% Hit Mana Drain. If my math is right, that's an average of 1 and a third hours before you reduce a Dark Father to true zero. Ain't nobody got time for dat!

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Impaler's Pick is even worse, as it has a 10% Hit Mana Drain. If my math is right, that's an average of 1 and a third hours before you reduce a Dark Father to true zero. Ain't nobody got time for dat!
You could probably kill 10 of them in that time...

Shakkara

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wholeheartedly agree with this, but the reality of the game is different.

Right now, the only real way to make good money in the game is to attend events and get event items to sell for 1 billion or more gold.

The only reliable way to get these items are by using hyper-optimized templates to end up on the top of the damage list or healing list or preferably both. It's always the same few people getting these items, and they cross-transfer to get these items on all the shards. Guess what: The creatures that drop these items typically aren't melee-able. Are you going to change the way these items are distributed any time soon to back up your claim that you want to provide something for all people, regardless of template?

I would dream of a game where all the templates are viable and it would actually be possible to play the game with a plain suit of platemail bought off an NPC vendor. Instead, we get more and more and more properties thrown at us every major update. This time we get Bane weapons. Half the item properties are useless as it stands, instead of fixing those or god forbid, fundamentally rebalancing the game to undo the damage that Age of Shadows did, we (well mostly YOU as developer) are stuck in a threadmill for more and better numbers. With the complexity of suitbuilding, if an item doesn't offer fundamentally stronger properties than the last one, noone is going to use it.

Then again the games that did progression right can be counted on one hand... Pre-AOS Ultima Online and Guild Wars are the only two that I know.

Example of best weapon in Guild Wars:

Example of a weapon that is considered so bad that people throw it away:

With a little bit of crafting it looks like this however:

Or maybe go with different stats entirely:

It's always funny that the 'worst' possible upgrades are have a modifier of 27, 18 or 9 while the best ones are 30, 20 or 10 respectively. And having only three properties per item to worry about is just great. Seriously, how did we end up here? From a pre-AOS system where you could run around with a GM-crafted suit and tackle all the content the game had to offer, to this?

When I'm designing games with an item based progression system, I have the very simple rule:
THE BEST POSSIBLE ITEM IN GAME MAY NOT BE MORE THAN 25% BETTER THAN THE WORST POSSIBLE ITEM IN GAME.

Last edited:

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter

These would be useful additions for drops:

- Alternative for Conjurer's Garb (Robe with DCI 5, MR 2)
- Alternative for Conjurer's Trinket (DI 20, HCI 10, HPR 2, STR 1, Undead Slayer)
- Alternative for the Ranger's Augmentation Cloak and Warden's Wing Armor
- Alternative for SDI spellbooks (SDI 30, LMC 5, FCR 2, DCI 10)

The top four don't drop any more (unless you have some of those yellow crystallized essences that also no longer drop in game. Their value has increased exponentially and they financially out of reach for many players. And yet, they are vital in so many suit builds. So in general, these are the sorts of things that I keep finding myself wishing for in drops:

- Useful Artifact Talismans (try one for a warrior type such DI 20; HCI 10; HPR 2; Random Slayer) or a Slither like alternative for a mage/tamer/bard/etc (DCI 10; MR 2; STR 10)
- More artifact Clothing options (to rival the Conjurer's Garb and Augmentation)
- Armor pieces with unusual mods (like something with HLA or skill increase)
- More elven glasses with different mods (or let us just craft basic glasses so we can imbue custom mods like you did with the clockwork leggings)
- Crimson Cincture or Tangle Alternative - Half apron with STR 10, SR3, SDI 5, DI 10
- Ring or Bracelet that rivals the Orny with FC 2 and other caster friendly mods
- Maybe an alternative location to drop the replica valiant commendation scroll

If you are going to put in weapons, have their types randomly vary so there are different weapon specials. I agree with the notion here that HML is a requirement for useful warrior weapons. I can imbue a weapon with HML on it... if I get an artifact and it doesn't have HML (and usually HSL) then it goes right into the turn-in point system. Artifact weapons should exceed the power of the imbuing system (i.e. equivalent to 650-700 intensity). I would like most to have HML and HSL. Those sorts of things would get me excited about challenging the new boss.

-OBSIDIAN-

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I was just thinking about my post and I want to revise it slightly. What I really want is the ability to have a Treasures of Tokuno like turn in system. What I realizes is we have one now with the Clean up system. So I would add some is the items I mentioned above to that system. And then make it so you can get some better artifacts from the boss drops, but thei point value needs to equal the amount of time put in. So these drops should all give 20K points off the Shadow lord. And the. Have a Conjurer's Garb replica, for example, on the turn-in list for 200K points. Of course you'd need more than that to add to the turn-in system, but you have a good basis in place. Now you need to add more useful items for suits and weapons.

Just a twist to my original post.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I am in agreement with Obsidian on this, even his revision. I am all for keeping the value up on things that hit for a limited time (Conj Garb, Trinket etc) but once the event is over and they no longer spawn there should be a way to keep them in game on a [Replica] basis. Personally I was not a fan of them dropping without the luck after the event ended, imo they should have kept the luck on them and just added a replica tag to any gotten after the arc ended.