• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Video Posted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vampyre Kitty

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sooo, if hearing anything good from their plans for UO simply means bs and empty promises to you then what would you want to hear from them? You sound like someone who wouldn't believe anything anyone has to say ever.
Viper~ seriously it's more like the boy calling wolf one too many times... Devs has promised countless things for a very long time.. only to fall short each time... why should ANYONE believe what they say anymore..? They candy coat it all and introduce pixel crap for money to cover it up...their quick fix is hey heres some new dye to buy! Basically acting like they don't hear a damn thing...reminds me of someone who has a kid and they say something inappropriate in front of someone else.. they shove a candy bar in their mouth to shut them up as a quick fix lol... They knew all along there wouldn't be a classic shard probably.. yet they made everyone who wanted one have hope.. told hold on to bascially nothing... probably cus they knew once they finally got the nerve to say it they would be loosing alot of pissed off customers... I'm sure alot of people feel rather lied to.. instead of just being honest from the getgo... the lack of communication in this game is truely pathetic.. they fire the good people that actually do something on the game and replace them with people who would rather run it into the ground...hell I remember when Jeremy used to work for Mythic and she would update us quite frequently.. she really got involved on the boards here and listened to peoples concerns.... and what does she get for her devotion? A kick in the ass out the door :( We as players deserve to know whats going on with the game.. not be left in the dark wondering gee are they pulling the plug tomarrow because it's so quiet? It's ridiculous how a company can work like that ... I seriously don't understand it... you want people to like your company and stick with them not go and find a replacement.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now, I know you caveat all of this with, "We'll talk more about this in a few days," but seriously, after MONTHS of waiting for that particular answer, if I were a Classic Sharder, I'd be offended by the indirect answer and lack of a respectful, classy response. Secondly, we waited WEEKS UPON WEEKS for this "video," which could have been summed up with a post on the Herald.

This video thing, truly, and regardless of the usual suspects in the cheering section, is a PR disaster, and should have been handled much better. I respect that the team is much smaller than it should be, but that doesn't excuse good, straightforward communication, and this video is more carrot less communication.
There is a game I like to play, it is call "Guess Who Is An EM Here?"

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
call this bias but I'd like to see the Helm passed over to Mesanna and let her hire a few people of her choice. I bet you all of my gold that things would get done finally. From my experience with her, she wants things done asap and wants to cut through all the crap to get there. also, she's open minded and not afraid to dance around with words, she'll tell you her thoughts straight out.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
call this bias but I'd like to see the Helm passed over to Mesanna and let her hire a few people of her choice. I bet you all of my gold that things would get done finally. From my experience with her, she wants things done asap and wants to cut through all the crap to get there. also, she's open minded and not afraid to dance around with words, she'll tell you her thoughts straight out.
50 cents a mil ( street value). How much gold you got :p lol.

Did you know Mesanna is watching this thread atm or you just did that by coincidence? lol

I rather see one client to be fully worked on not 2 clients at the same time but thats just my opinion. I just want to make it easier on the small dev team.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmmm... I expected a little more information.
"We're getting away from quests that you go out and just kill MOBs, and we're getting more into a story of a quest."
Well, today every quest is about killing MOBs. (One reason why I hardly attend any EM events anymore.) Does this mean, this will change for the better?
"As far as performance and stability are concerned, the client has come a long way."
What client are they talking about? Classic Client is ridiculous, playing there looks like a slide-show. The Enhanced Client has been suffering from memory leak and extreme performance fall-off (when you have lots of particle effects on the screen) since its release. Recently it suffers from random crashes. Does that mean, they finally are able to fix this?
"It has always been a dream of ours to get a higher resolution environment art set."
Well, what about the rest of the artwork? As soon as you zoom in a little everything (except the ground) turns into a low-res pixel mess.

The only news from this video is the new player area, which certainly is a good idea. But it needs more to bring new players to Britannia.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First off i didn't hear anything good from the video..i heard same old same old..hence me saying the 3 stooges beating a dead horse bit.I would want to hear from them that they finally have stopped beating that dead horse and laid it to a peaceful rest.

Ive been hearing things for the past 6 years and every year believed...until i realized this past year im basically wasting my money and decided to stop doing that...which,last i checked, is rightfully my decision since it is my money that has been paying for 3 accounts for years now... on a game that won't ever be anything past what it is right now. For me UO was great back in the day but now it's just all gone to hell.

And I think I would tell you to get the wool cover off your eyes and see them and the game for truly what it has become.
Wool cover? Lol, there is no wool cover. Only thing I see is a game I still enjoy playing. I don't give a rats ass what EA plans to do for UO or not, all I know is I can still find enjoyment in this game. If they have plans for the future then awesome, I look forward to the possible. Tell yourself whatever the hell you want to believe. If you don't enjoy this game and want to convince yourself all they plan to do is give us empty promises then go right ahead. Sounds like you should have quit long ago. I know I would stop paying for a game I don't enjoy.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
50 cents a mil ( street value). How much gold you got :p lol.

Did you know Mesanna is watching this thread atm or you just did that by coincidence? lol

I rather see one client to be fully worked on not 2 clients at the same time but thats just my opinion. I just want to make it easier on the small dev team.

hehe well, okay so it might not be a HUGE bet... and honestly I didn't know she was reading it... now I feel stupid :(

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hehe well, okay so it might not be a HUGE bet... and honestly I didn't know she was reading it... now I feel stupid :(

LOL its cool. She hasnt posted anything and highly doubt she will. She probably scheming now to get Cal's postion...with your help of course :p She just may need more gold on that bet...get to farming :)

J

jaashua

I recently did the Haven thing and it was not good. There was plenty that could be improved. Nothing against the teens and college kids these days, and I'm not saying necessarily that they need their hands held, but at this point, anybody picking up UO for the first time is going to need some help.
I said "good enough" job. UO is so massive and complex, there is zero chance that any in-game tutorial is going to be able to cover even a very small fraction of what, realistically, you need to know without overwhelming a new player. Haven gives you a safe place to learn the UI and complete a few quests.

Truthfully, most of us get so excited to see a genuine new player, we're all too eager to explain how the game really works and give stuff to the player. If anything, offer some kind of guild reward for adding characters from young accounts or something.

I hope you're right that higher res art means models too, because right now the EC makes the entire game look like a grotesque marionette show and is a bigger turnoff than even the CC. Mythic has some amazingly talented artists who all know Gamebryo. I'm telling you, there is NO excuse for not sparing the talent to get this client up to date. What, are they too busy merging servers on their failed MMOs to dedicate some resources to the one that has stood the test of time?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you need to put on your glasses old man...re-read that cause i didn't see any word in my post that said ..Woot?

Theres no convincing myself of anything, it's been empty promises for a couple years now, i'm just tired of wasting my money on nothing when i can spend it on something worth a measly 13 bucks. And when i quit is my say so, just like my opinion is mine, if u don't like it then i suggest you don't read it...or in your case..MISread it lol.

Sounds like you're all riled up..lol..many people are saying same thing as i've said..go back and read some..don't forget your glasses old timer :lol:
Ah yes, mis-read, big deal. Everyone does it time to time. Still doesn't change the subject of your post one bit nor the response one bit...

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They knew all along there wouldn't be a classic shard probably.. yet they made everyone who wanted one have hope.. told hold on to bascially nothing... probably cus they knew once they finally got the nerve to say it they would be loosing alot of pissed off customers... I'm sure alot of people feel rather lied to.. instead of just being honest from the getgo...
I knew they would never make a Classic shard. Dangling the carrot was so wrong in so many ways. Making empty promises may help in the short term, but when your credibility is shot and when the majority no longer believes anything you say anymore, your a dead man walking.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I see some people here that say they are unhappy and dont like the game any more my question is why are you still here?

C

canary

Mythic has some amazingly talented artists who all know Gamebryo. I'm telling you, there is NO excuse for not sparing the talent to get this client up to date. What, are they too busy merging servers on their failed MMOs to dedicate some resources to the one that has stood the test of time?
By 'Mythic' you must mean their OTHER games, because the art we get usually in UO is pretty rotten, the rare occurrence aside. I mean, they don't even understand correct perspective in the UO client.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see some people here that say they are unhappy and dont like the game any more my question is why are you still here?
I hung around for a classic server. today I demolished my spare homes, shut down all accounts except for my main one. Reason I'm still here? I care about the community still and I want to keep my spot as the LS Mage tower Curator.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL its cool. She hasnt posted anything and highly doubt she will. She probably scheming now to get Cal's postion...with your help of course :p She just may need more gold on that bet...get to farming :)
Farming gold for me is impossible! since 2003 I've RPed a pacifist, so I'm not allowed to take a life, even in self defense ;)

yes yes I could sell stuffs but bah!

hrm, maybe if I started a letter drive, and I hand wrote 17,242 different letters to EA (all in different handwriting of course) and then drove around the country (don't forget Canada!... screw Mexico) and dropped them all in different mailboxes (gotta keep the return address and postmark different!) stating "we the players wish to have Mesanna promoted to the 'allmighty-God-Like spot of UO" maybe, just maybe it would work... bwahaha

*is off to get some rather severe writers cramp*

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lets get the "art" argument out of the way for the time being...

Bioware Mythic other 2 games were built from the ground up. DaoC which at that time was not under control of EA and Warhammer Online which is under control of EA. Those games had a chance with art and can be easily improved since its newer code and they are very familiar with it.

In UO's case, Bioware Mythic inherited EA's aging old client and old code game. So not to scrap the current UO the devs have been trying to get the art up to par with what they can work with. I'll definetly give them that. They could scrap alot of the art and just redo it all. How many rares would that hurt if they did such a thing? Its like trying to add a 2011 Ford engine to a 1908 Ford model T. They are trying and the EC has potential to be more modern and imo that can be easily worked with.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nah...You didnt miss anything Vyal. Just Kelmo running by just with a smile on, streaking and playing the song from Ray Stevens.."The Streak"

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"We have Event Moderators on every shard."

Yeah, right....
I was gonna say something... That statement dev team, unless something changed really recently, is incorrect. Siege has no EM.

J

jaashua

By 'Mythic' you must mean their OTHER games, because the art we get usually in UO is pretty rotten, the rare occurrence aside. I mean, they don't even understand correct perspective in the UO client.
Right. You don't need these guys to learn the server code, they just have to whip out some new nicer art. I don't see why, since it's all Mythic now anyway, you can't put together a team to dedicate to this.

The things you can do in UO would blow the average WoW player's mind. Designing your own freaking house. Setting up a vendor. Taming dragons. Firing cannons from a ship. Retrieving a buried treasure by decoding a map. Marking your own teleport locations. On and on. With really good graphics (and some tweaking to PvP :) ) there is no cap on the number of players this game could draw and KEEP. Doubling it within a year I'd think would be conservative. But nobody is going to even give it a shot as it is. That is proven fact.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right. You don't need these guys to learn the server code, they just have to whip out some new nicer art. I don't see why, since it's all Mythic now anyway, you can't put together a team to dedicate to this.

The things you can do in UO would blow the average WoW player's mind. Designing your own freaking house. Setting up a vendor. Taming dragons. Firing cannons from a ship. Retrieving a buried treasure by decoding a map. Marking your own teleport locations. On and on. With really good graphics (and some tweaking to PvP :) ) there is no cap on the number of players this game could draw and KEEP. Doubling it within a year I'd think would be conservative. But nobody is going to even give it a shot as it is. That is proven fact.
I'm a die hard CC fan. I HATE EC, however as I said before if they actually make a client to pull UO into the new era, I'd ditch CC in a heartbeat.

Amren

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I lol'd at this. It's kinda pathetic, really, that UO players are so easily amused. Just give them their housing tiles and some new pets and they will be happy. Just forget about how there are other play styles in this game, that pay the same monthly fee as everyone else, and get nothing.

I also find it quite ironic that:

UO looks like this

And

The Future looks like this

EA is pathetic. It's like listening to a Blackberry user trying to convince their iphone friend that their phone is the better.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I lol'd at this. It's kinda pathetic, really, that UO players are so easily amused. Just give them their housing tiles and some new pets and they will be happy. Just forget about how there are other play styles in this game, that pay the same monthly fee as everyone else, and get nothing.

I also find it quite ironic that:

UO looks like this

And

The Future looks like this

EA is pathetic. It's like listening to a Blackberry user trying to convince their iphone friend that their phone is the better.
While the Android guys are laughing at both of them.....

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Players leaving the new player island of New Haven should depart with at least a 100LRC/70s suit (no ingredients needed to cast spells, maximum armor protection is 70 percent). Nobody is going to farm this stuff because, as players advance, they will get equipment with more tactical attributes. Mages should have full spellbooks. Warriors should have at least one weapon with the fundamental capability bonuses. UO relies heavily on tactical bonuses added to jewelry - up to five for each piece (ring and bracelet). New players should leave New Haven with a ring and braclet with at least 3 bonuses of medium intensity each. And they should leave with the skill level currently provided by the Advanced Character Token - not enough to be deadly but enough to make the journey to become deadly more interesting and congruent with the game activity they desire.
There's some mileage in this, with a couple of tweaks - firstly, let the young player see just HOW much better that setup is than 'standard' armour, or they'll just assume 'this is what armour does' and get a hell of a shock whan they replace pieces of their starter set.

Make the stuff low durability, 'brittle' so you can't PoF it, non-imbueable,and give it the 'account bound, no drop' property of the Britannian ship. That way it's damn useful and you'd feell like it was 'yours', but you know it's going to decay fairly quick, and you want to get hold of as good or better stuff fairly quickly.

As mentioned, the cash and potential 'realse' could be a problem - so now is the time to create shard-wide cash banks for all your characters to share their money without needing a house. That way you can let an account have a set 'starting pool' of cash, and if you think a new player needs more or there's a danger of losing it all in one silly error, start with a smaller portion and pay in the 'million' (or whatever is decided on as a sensible amount) in stages, for their first 90 days..... so they know more is coming even AFTER they run through the 30 day 'trial' of the game.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Many of you completely miss the point that was made a few hours earlier...

the system UO is built unto, encourages those types of behavior...

I look even at a few posts here that display a vehement negativity towards EA, well its an establishment and I'd be willing to assure you that as long as one person has an account open, one of the UO servers will stay up.

So now it becomes even more competitive, you have in game compartmentalisation (is that even a word ?) and you have out game complixifaekation of all combat systems.

It sounds great, at first... then you realise what it means, especially if you have money as the point of reference... a million is 50 cents !

But the trail of people who's million was worth 1 dollar, and 10 dollars, and 100 dollars behind ? Ok ok someone stop me here, I'm not one of numbers...

But you cannot call that a PG-13 "game" anymore.

I know I am a companion of the avatar ; but do I think that Messana is not human that she is not also avatar ?

Derium is happy, and I'm happy he's happy to be the mage tower "curator"...

Well I have worked on the mage tower concept of guilds with Tifric himself ; the concept which inspired those to exist in the first place. It was with I that the principles of the mage tower was created and I was with him (and many others, Greypawn deserves a special mention here for enduring all this pain)...

Yet the Atlantic Mage Tower has no curator... I can't even be the guy who cleans the washroom !

Go figure, but somewhere ; hearts could be broken if secrets remain.

It is not so much a game anymore.

Amren

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So now it becomes even more competitive, you have in game compartmentalisation (is that even a word ?) and you have out game complixifaekation of all combat systems.

It sounds great, at first... then you realise what it means, especially if you have money as the point of reference... a million is 50 cents !

But the trail of people who's million was worth 1 dollar, and 10 dollars, and 100 dollars behind ? Ok ok someone stop me here, I'm not one of numbers...
:confused:

G

georgemarvin2001

I saw the video. Didn't read all the posts, just a few that caught my eye, so I apologize in advance for any duplicates of points that have already been hashed over.
1. Were they really patting themselves on the back about the slightly higher resolution graphics in the EC????? The truth is that most of the EC graphics look like crap, especially when you zoom in. And some of those really bright spell effects actually hurt the players' eyes. If they are serious about getting new players, they need to hire some real artists full-time to update all the art in both the CC and EC.
2. The other thread with the update about the video stated that the classic shard isn't going to happen. Disappointing, but expected. Guess I don't need to try convincing any of my guildies to come back to the official game. Oh, well.
3. It looks like their scarce developmental resources will be a little scarcer. I'll still come back for the major expansions, but I sold my house and gave away most of my stuff, so I don't have to re-subscribe every couple of months or risk losing all my stuff anymore. I have a couple of characters with bank boxes full of million gold checks and my crafter has a box full of resources, so even if the new content makes all my characters' stuff obsolete, I should be able to handle acquiring new equipment when I come back.
4. Somebody said UO's subscription base is 50k now? The last hard data I had was from fall of 2009, when an industry tracking firm pegged it at 78k. That's a HUGE drop in just 1 1/2 years. The stuff to bring in new playes had better be good, or EA just might pull the plug; Star Wars is very likely to suffer the same fate as Warhammer. 5. From the looks of it, I would say that EA has very poor management; they lost about $650 million dollars last year, while they paid their marketing and management over $1 billion, and believe the goodwill of their customers is worth $1.3 billion on their balance sheet; without that massive amount of invisible, intangible equity, they barely have more assets than debts. If a small game like UO doesn't turn a tidy profit, they are likely to kill it in favor of sinking more money into some of the massively expensive projects that the execs' careers are riding on, or direct bonuses to top marketing and management. After all, when something as big as EA is losing as much money as it is, top management would be fools if they didn't grab every dollar they can before it comes crashing down.
6. From the lateness of the video, and the comments and lack thereof, it looks like EA has its hands full with the launch of SW. Which means we can expect a skeleton crew working on UO for the next couple of months. The fast, bang! Boom! storylines will be a result of short staffing, not a real change in the way UO is developed. It also means that the classic shard was probably a victim of SW as well.
Well, it's late and I need sleep. Good luck everybody.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let me put it simple for you Amren...

UO + good devs + passion = uo to t2a

then :

money + corruption + political status quo + UO * time = UO gets molded to fit its "model"

but UO + humans + original mold * time * dimentions =

emotional tension...

It's like the difference between... *censored* and... *censored* with love.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, you've released a video with mis-information in it.

Mesanna : there are no EM's on Siege.... stop ****ing around with us.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it really necessary to twist the knife in the wound ? Its not like you didn't know it was painfully obvious by now, but that the harm done can never be repaired and yada yadadlidlada...

Just what is wrong with everyone today...

J

jaashua

Wait. That was the whole video? I thought this was a teaser of the full video.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. Were they really patting themselves on the back about the slightly higher resolution graphics in the EC????? The truth is that most of the EC graphics look like crap, especially when you zoom in. And some of those really bright spell effects actually hurt the players' eyes. If they are serious about getting new players, they need to hire some real artists full-time to update all the art in both the CC and EC.
I agree.

http://media.xfire.com/content/events2009/screen_lotro_mom1.jpg
http://vnmedia.ign.com/screenshots/eq2/3587401.jpg

The above are screenshots of the competition. Both games are Free To Play.

versus this... http://images.mmosite.com/photo/2009/05/06/ultimaonlines10405f386812.jpg

V

Vyal

I'm at britain bank/park... :thumbup:

I for one, yes I haven't played since age of shadows, but I still kind of should have something. I'm a beta vet and I logged on my old account only to find my characters erased, and no veteran rewards...

I can't even get an ethy even if I played and even contributed to this game so much.

I have to buy gold to chinese underage workers and get one in LUNA.

wooo...
Actually beta accounts never stop getting older even if the account is inactive.
Very rare to have them, I had mine stolen from a broker site...

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to quote a comment from the video as he gives a very good advises:

Luscombe said:
I worked for Origin back on '00 on the Renaissance Edition, and have worked on other games with "legacy" issues, thus I can appreciate the challenges here. You have, in essence, a Massively Single Player game with too many long time players who resist change with a religious passion while too many others become more obsessed with the buying and selling of UDIs than with game play. All quests are single player and most are Fed-Ex quests. Plus, culturally, it's actually considered an achievement to solo bosses, which is understandable but a sad commentary on the state of the game. Thus even people of good will, intelligence, and fine intent will need to take significant risks to make this game enticing to new players.

In the eight months I've been back, after ten years away, I've seen one major expansion and at least six major patches - or "publishes" as they like to call them. I've seen Thanksgiving gifts, Holiday gifts, Anniversary gifts and even Valentine's day teddy bears given out. Yet there has not been a single upgrade to the new player experience or to the woefully out of date gear new player quests deliver.

In UO - and I don't mean this as sarcastically as it sounds - it's a "You have to have been there to be here" game.

Twenty fewer skill points

Shy five stat

You can't use this

And you can't use that

This is the new player experience. It sounds harsh but I know the team is small and the demands placed upon them are enormous. Thus I do not mean for this to - in any way - imply that the current development team is inept or stupid. They're not.

The UO free trial page give you two choices: a Classic client that would look dated to the grandparents of most new prospects or an Enhanced Client that you're told remains in beta. Sadly, quaint doesn't play in contemporary computer gaming and the word, beta, is an off-putting prospect for anyone starting out.

You get 1000 gold in a game where anything useful costs millions and the street price of UO gold is fifty cents a million. Oh, and you get a candle, a fireworks wand and a blank book.

There is no checklist provided, based on the character type you've created, for the character advancement quests that are available to you. Instead there is a bot outside the bank that repeats "Click on me for help" ad nauseum but provides little when you do.

Oddly, the first step in most of these is to pay 400 of that 1000 gold to get the first 40 points of skill, with the next 10 coming from a quest. Why in blazes those first points are not part of the initial character creation process defies understanding as does the price point. At the end you get an item may have been useful prior to the most recent major expansion.

Clearly you need more information. If you go to the official site you get a message that its content is being "updated soon." Stratics, the site most new players are told to try next, has information that, in some cases, has been out of date for up to a decade. Go to the forums and you're told to read a readme before posting, basically saying that you have to earn the right to ask questions and nobody wants to hear a question that's been asked before.

Many players in-game try to be helpful but most are so steeped in the lexicon of the game that they do not know that their answers make no sense. How do I train archery? "100% poison wep on a Gollum, Enemy of One." Yes, that was an actual answer. I asked the player who posed the question if he understood a single word of that. Of course his answer was no.

Scroll over a weapon and you'll get an incomprehensible list of attributes, such as Hit Lower Defense, Hit Poison Area, Use Best Weapon Skill, Repond Slayer....sorry but it simply makes no sense at all.

You're trying to hook up with another player who tells you to go north. Good luck with that. The UO compass is canted 45 degrees to the east. You have a positive experience with a player and want to see that player again. Good luck with that too. There are no friends or buddy lists in UO. There are Guilds and your Client has Guild invitations set to Ignore by default. There is not dating in UO, only marriage.

My apologies. This is getting too long and a bit tedious. Allow me to summarize what I believe the new player experience needs to be:

One client and not the Classic one on the free trial page. This means getting the EC out of beta which should happen before any more updates, expansions, or even gifts are delivered in the game.

More points given during character creation

More information, if the player wants it, on the character creation screens

Dump the part about customizing the template disqualifying you from new player quests. It's not true.

Provide players with a checklist of quests based on the character they've created along with a "Take me there" button next to each, and save this to the player journal which is highlighted until either the player's young status is aged off or the player declines the quests.

Spot new players at least 1 million gold. Yes, players will create new characters just to get the gold and a veteran player could start on any shard with 6. So what? 6 million UO gold is worth 3 dollars. The million gold is worth fifty cents. The games costs 13 dollars a month for the subscription.

All players begin with the 720 skill point cap. The 5 extra stat points can remain a six month veteran reward. Other veteran rewards should be cosmetic, not tactical. It's okay that a 13 year veteran player can ride around on an ethereal armored Boura (a cross between a water buffalo and a Ice Age ox) or wear dazzling clothing, but it's not okay to put new players at a fundamental disadvantage from the start. Lots of these folks will want an actual game, after all, and all games since the beginning of time are based on human competition. Even Solitaire is PvP.

Players leaving the new player island of New Haven should depart with at least a 100LRC/70s suit (no ingredients needed to cast spells, maximum armor protection is 70 percent). Nobody is going to farm this stuff because, as players advance, they will get equipment with more tactical attributes. Mages should have full spellbooks. Warriors should have at least one weapon with the fundamental capability bonuses. UO relies heavily on tactical bonuses added to jewelry - up to five for each piece (ring and bracelet). New players should leave New Haven with a ring and braclet with at least 3 bonuses of medium intensity each. And they should leave with the skill level currently provided by the Advanced Character Token - not enough to be deadly but enough to make the journey to become deadly more interesting and congruent with the game activity they desire.

There should be a matchmaking service if guilds want to register for it. Siege Perilous (the forbidding sounding server where the old, Hobbs State of Nature rules apply) has a guild called NEW that players can join for up to 30 days. It has players who have volunteered to help new players with basic gear and game help. Yes, some will make up griefer guilds and can do so in minutes, but that can be remedied with a few checks for guild age and history of harassment complaints of guild members.

I'd like to suggest a one year feature freeze with bug fixes only but that's likely outside the realm of what the team can decide on their own to do.

Oh, and lastly for now, stop telling new players, every time they log in, that they are too young to receive a gift. Just stop it. Rather, give them a gift if it's a genuine new account, and the player has completed the quests he agreed to take.

The rest falls into realms of SEO and guerilla marketing. I doubt there is much of a budget for much else, but that's another matter entirely.

If you've made it this far, thank you.

Jonathan

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LotRO actually just recently went free-to-play, it required a paid subscription for what, 3 years? Now you still need to pay to get all the good stuff, but still.

I like the EC, the graphics are for the most part decent, but there's still so much room to improve.

R

RavenWinterHawk

This is an example of the current competition on the market today:

YouTube - Aion Gameplay HD

When perspective new players are considering a new game...which do you think they might choose...the above, or the below?

YouTube - Ultima Online - Elf or Human new character creation (enhanced client) - TGN

I am not trying to be snarky here (for once)...but he is right. There is no way that UO is going to draw new players with the current clients. The EC, even if it is higher rez, still looks amateurish at best when compared to modern games that UO has to compete with. The gameplay isn't as dissimilar as some would like to claim anymore...so please, do tell...what exactly in that video is going to draw new players? Faster download times? You can get most games on DVD now at your local Target store.
Simple. Its a leveling game. Simple UO offers other stuff. Simple... people will take a look.

Yes graphic matter, no... all people don't only look a graphics.

Cool graphic leveling games is still leveling.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wait. That was the whole video? I thought this was a teaser of the full video.
Cal needs to clarify that.

But my guess is that this is the video, and this is the story.

They made a video that was considerably longer. Shipped it off to EA. Which sat on it. And sat on it. And sat on it. And never got to it.

Whereupon Cal started to realize what an idiot he was for pinning so much on this video.

Then finally decided he was in effect faced with no video at all, not anytime soon, or run with the 2.5 minutes he had approval for.

And he ran with what he had and figured the upcoming HoC would answer our more specific questions, at least to some degree.

And, hopefully, he's learned a lesson about pinning so much on something that would require extensive review and approval from EA, a company which would rather spend $10 million to make $12 million than spend $1m to make $5m. (All number are hypothetical.)

-Galen's player

J

[JD]

My comments….

I like that you are working on getting NEW (not just reactivating) players into the game… I’ve been saying this forever. A lot of the reason people leave is that their shard died, or their friends left (in addition to getting bored). New blood means new friendships and more people to interact with. It also means the economy will get a boost since there will people looking for all those items the vetrans just throw away or unravel.

A graphics update will go a long way towards helping attract new players. But the EC graphics right now are sorely behind the competition. It looks like a crappy web based game right now in comparison. Try checking out Rift screenshots… holy crap they are insane. I have some at home from the beta I can prolly post later. Details matter... things like every dragon in the EC appearing red, when in reality they can be red or green in the CC.. are dissappointing to EC users. More variety/shades/textures. More detail. If you don't have the art staff to do it, open the image format up and allow player submissions.

With the goal of getting new players in mind, you do also need to revamp the new player experience. Several of the points of the first poster (Luscombe) on the video link are valid. Please re-visit the new player process from the perspective of someone who has never been in UO before; someone who does not understand the terminology, or mechanics. UO is a confusing, unforgiving game in the beginning. There will always be veterans to come in and help, but it isn’t a guarantee, and you shouldn’t rely on existing players to do your work for you.

I don’t really think the size of the art is such a big deal… Rift opened on the 24th and the download was 9GB. Large updates upon installation are common. Though anything to break it up is cool, it’s just not as crucial as other things.

I also would like to hear what you mean by getting back to the feel of things which attracted players in the first place. It sounded really passionate but without definition didn’t really make sense.

W

Woodsman

Mythic has some amazingly talented artists who all know Gamebryo. I'm telling you, there is NO excuse for not sparing the talent to get this client up to date. What, are they too busy merging servers on their failed MMOs to dedicate some resources to the one that has stood the test of time?
Mythic lost a lot of people in 2009. A lot.

Whatever is left is probably getting sucked up within the Star Wars vacuum cleaner. DAOC fans aren't much happier than UO fans for that matter, and Warhammer fans, well UO fans are probably way happier than they are.
And, hopefully, he's learned a lesson about pinning so much on something that would require extensive review and approval from EA, a company which would rather spend $10 million to make $12 million than spend $1m to make $5m. (All number are hypothetical.)
I don't think they are that hypothetical.

They are spending over $300 million on Star Wars. I've wondered how much money they could make if they shaved off a few tens of millions of that and dumped it into UO and DAOC - they could add a classic shard or two to UO plus overhaul the graphics and upgrade the EC substantially with that kind of money. I don't see that last few tens of millions pushing Star Wars over into profitable territory.

I'm surprised that they are going to upgrade the graphics and work on the new player experience, but I'm wondering if some of that is due to the influence of BioWare. There was an interview posted this week where BioWare found out that a large amount of people stopped playing Dragon Age after an hour or two. It really concerns them that so many people gave up. They discussed how it became important to them with Dragon Age 2 to keep players past that first hour or two.

The video Cal posted sounds almost like something BioWare would tell all of its properties including UO - work on improving the first few hours of play.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
all of you that is doing nothing but flaming, keep in mind that UO Devs are held in a tight leach from EA - budget wise. they are doing the best they can with the budget they have.

And thumbs up for KR high res graphics back in 2.5d client.. which i presume is what it is?

W

Woodsman

That doesn't tell the whole story - they have the Unreal 3 Engine running on the iPhone, just as an example:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/sy2hXtUN2t0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKPclHd-7d0

That's from Epic Citadel, which is a demo of the engine that is running Infinity Blade for the iPhone/iPad.

It's more than just graphics, but graphics are what's going to get people to take a look.

I don't think they should worry about updating anything for the CC at this point. It has not helped UO at all to keep starting and stopping and starting a dual-client development environment - they need to move to one client and people can skin it how they want, whether it's with a CC feel or with Pinco's UIs.

W

Woodsman

Now that would bring players back to UO...
Ultima Online using the Unreal Engine, sign me up.
They already tried that, it was called Ultima X :gee:

They would have to keep the isometric perspective as a default even if they went full 3D. What would be cool is using the isometric perspective one moment and then dropping down to a FPS angle.

The house decorators would love it.
Thats not Unreal 3 btw ;)
this is though
YouTube - Core Blaze gameplay video
It most definitely is based on the Unreal Engine 3. Epic (the people behind the Unreal Engine) put together a nice little FAQ about what it took for them to port it to iOS as well as what it's capable of:

Epic Citadel | Epic Games

The crazy thing is, once their devs ported the engine over to iOS, it was primarily one person who assembled the content for the demo over 8 weeks. Granted that was all existing artwork, but still interesting.

And speaking of using pre-existing content, I do wonder if we'll see new artwork or the KR art. My guess is KR.

T

Tinsil

The EC sucks imo.. KR looked much better all around, the only issue I had with it was it was unfinished and the terrain blurred together too much.

On the new player issue, I'd rather not see TOO many resources go into this. Face it, at $13 a month with this old of a game, we aren't drawing in many completely new players anyways..

I also wish the event thing wasn't just talk.. There is literally no player interaction in these shard-wide events.

Status
Not open for further replies.