• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Video Posted

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Woodsman

Higher resolution art!

Working on the client so that new players can start while downloading the client in the background!

Working on bringing in new players!

:thumbup1:

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks, Cal!
I like the bite-size chunks of content part. That should work well for many of us.
Is UO going to be f2p? I know, I know... video House of Commons. =)
I would prefer that UO not become f2p, but I would love to see new players join the game.

BlissMarie

W

Woodsman

I like the bite-size chunks of content part. That should work well for many of us.
It'll also work well with new players, especially the bit about the quests moving away from "kill 10 things or gather 10 things" - they really needed to avoid some of the boring/leveling-style quests of other games and this would work.
Is UO going to be f2p?
They are giving us a better client and high resolution artwork, it won't need to be f2p.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Will someone help Kaleb please?

- C
Sure, they're working on the future of the game right now. Not working on the past. (It won't happen unless it's something someone feels like doing in their spare time.)

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I do not think there is a need to discuss Classic shard here as that would be off topic and the answer has been given in the other thread that I provided a link for

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good idea on making the download smaller, most computers are heavy enough as it is.

W

Woodsman

Sure, they're working on the future of the game right now. Not working on the past.
Amen. The booster pack stuff did not feel like it was working towards the future of the game. I like the idea of utilizing under-utilized areas such as parts of the ocean, and I wouldn't mind seeing it happen elsewhere in Britannia, but without things like more work on the EC or graphics that take advantage of post-2005 computers, it felt like a bone to toss to the remaining players.

Higher resolution artwork plus work on the client is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for, as far as a sign that they were serious about the future.

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i dont have an issue downloading a gig, but i see how those with slower connections might be getting the "oh i started this download then forgot all about it - now where was i? oh... <insert a completly different thing here>" syndrome.

W

Woodsman

I'm guessing Magincia won't become Luna 2 with a bunch of housing, and the fate is instead determined by the players on whether it's rebuilt or whatever.

Which means that it could in theory be lost for good....

Deaol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Sounds like some good things to look forward too... :party:

Any ideas being put into affect to attract and KEEP new players is always good.

Hoffs

Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"We have Event Moderators on every shard."

Yeah, right....

Mongbat137

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Regarding newbie experience:

NEWBIES NEED RUNEBOOKS!

They need a way to access content better than running around New Haven all day until they finally go "So what else is there?" and I drop 50k they would never make on their own buying them runebooks.

NEWBIES NEED TO BE TAUGHT TO USE INSURANCE!

Letting them lose all their crap the first time they die outside of young status is a good way to get them to quit.

Vlaude

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We had to wait until way past mid-January for that? Come on man, you're killin me.

Kaleb, the classic shard stuff is in the very opening of the video, it's the first thing Cal talks about.

PS - Cal, your energy was good ;)

Good luck to UO I wish this game and its devs and players the very best (even the sycophants).

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So far sounds good. Like some of what I hear. The EC looked very good in the video. Is that (EC) with some of the new development you all added on your end or is that what we have now?

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
All I can say is, I would like to have seen the full version. That was good, and exciting, but it was also pretty small for something that was made such a big deal of.

Alvinho

Great Lakes Forever!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i dont have an issue downloading a gig, but i see how those with slower connections might be getting the "oh i started this download then forgot all about it - now where was i? oh... <insert a completly different thing here>" syndrome.
The gist of the '200 mb' initial download is it's for new players looking round the new 'introductory' area - rest of the client downloads while they play in that bit of the game, so they can get up and running quicker. Reasonable enough.... waiting for a gig download to even see if something looks fun is probably best avoided.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"We have Event Moderators on every shard."

Yeah, right....
It's for extremely low values of "every"

Perhaps all the UO dev machines and servers are still running on old pentiums? That would sure explain the RNG also...

W

Woodsman

Definitely NOT worth going past the January deadline for that tidbit, I am thinking this was a last minute job, there was not anything i seen in that video that warranted being a month and a half late........
Cal said "all the things that have happened between January 3rd and now" in the other thread implying that a lot happened over the last month and a half, so I'm assuming that the mystery will be cleared up next week either in the chat or the longer video.

We probably won't find out any particulars, but I wonder what was involved with them getting the resources to bring in high-resolution artwork, and if that was the "all the things that have happened between January 3rd and now" bit. Upgrading the artwork had to have been a tough sell to EA.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good idea on making the download smaller, most computers are heavy enough as it is.
I haven't played too many of the newer games, but Darkfall was a 7 gb download for what was like a three-day free trial or something lol.

R

Righteous

I found it humorus that at the bottom it had a link to watch the UO2 trailer that EA cancelled in 2001.

Righteous

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good stuff! I understood the Higher Resolution Art to be a compliment of the EC, Not that it's something new that's coming though.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know, but a small client to download could means 2 days of autopatch at the first start :D

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mesanna: "We have event moderators on every shard" ... durr Siege!

And what the ... we're getting away from mob kill quests and focusing on the story? Then Cal is like we don't need long story arcs? ROFL I'm pretty happy with how UO is right now, but you guys need to sign a COMM major. NO ONE SHOULD DISLIKE KILL 10 QUESTS! It's the obtain 10 items that suck. I mean, it depends on the person, killing 10 mongbats will keep your wrists healthier than making 10 broadswords.

New player area ... so we had Haven, then we had New Haven, what is this one going to be called? New New Haven?

As for the earlier response in this thread regarding the higher-resolution bit, am I wrong, or is Brinkman just talking about the EC as the "higher-resolution" client?

All in all I'm fairly underwhelmed by the video, but I'm the kind of guy who likes to see a bulleted list of what we can expect, in concrete terms, heh. Not "we are getting rid of kill quests to focus on story but not too much story."

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everybody deserves to play this game ?

What about us (and I speak for alot of DITCHED honest helpers) the seers, counselors and companions... ?

There is a statue in britain on every shard, to our honor ?

We have a strange vision of honor these days, and it inclused ignoring, not making the part of things and being extreemly ungrateful.

Anyone who knows what siege represents, and what meaning Richard Gariott gave it when he went away, will see the bigger picture.

What a sad, sad joke. Not funny...

Noooo...

I said I would join siege because of what happened, and I did. I am paying once again to play... I spent a whole day on siege actually, and I have not seen one player.

Not at britain bank, nor in my long wanderings in all my favorite historic spots and whatnot... a whole day of vacation spent, for not a soul.

W

Woodsman

He was talking about the client and kind of summed it up and then said it's "always been a dream of ours to get a higher resolution environment artset" and they showed two different videos - one zoomed in and one zoomed out, and the one that was zoomed in didn't seem pixelated. Granted, the video was 360p instead of 720p, but the artwork seemed to reflect higher resolution, because at that zoom level, it really looks bad with the current art work.

If they put all that effort into the new player experience and don't roll out new artwork, that would be hilarious. And sad. It would be something that EA would do :(

But I think we are okay and the artwork looks different.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I believe there are improvements to the artwork also!

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Siege is slow..slow..slow man

Like most of the slow to dead shards there is too much landmass and not enough players to allow for community interaction. Siege has also been kinda left to its own devices my the developers

Tis a shame really...it truly held the essence of what UO really was before they decided to change the game to appease some of the masses

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure, they're working on the future of the game right now. Not working on the past. (It won't happen unless it's something someone feels like doing in their spare time.)

"That kind of diversity of life has still never been recaptured in any game since, and it's something I hope to recapture in my next work," -Garriott

it's okay, a real person who actually knows what they are doing will provide it for us :thumbup1:

just a shame it had to be this way.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can't wait for EC improvements, hope to see more at the HoC/full video.

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"That kind of diversity of life has still never been recaptured in any game since, and it's something I hope to recapture in my next work," -Garriott

it's okay, a real person who actually knows what they are doing will provide it for us :thumbup1:

just a shame it had to be this way.
I would certainly cancel and account or two if Garriott started up another game similar to UO fantasy :)

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Been Playing Ultima since Ultima 1....... Great job on this! I can't wait to see the full video. One thing I always loved about Ultima. Everytime it came out with the next edition it was always cutting edge graphics and interacion!!!

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As for the earlier response in this thread regarding the higher-resolution bit, am I wrong, or is Brinkman just talking about the EC as the "higher-resolution" client?
What does improve the EC art mean EXACTLY?

Is it we will just only change the male paperdolls? That is all. Mission Accomplished.
Is it we will totally revamp Factions and just only move the location of a base?
Is it we will stop cheaters and just only ban 10 accounts?
Is it we will dedicate dev time to Siege after this publish and nada?
Is it we will rebuild Magincia and a year (or 3) later you are still saying we will rebuild Magincia?

Or is it

We will turn the EC into a 3D client this year
We will redo every single bit of EC art this year
We have hired 2 new full time experienced artists from Activision

So what precisely has been done to improve EC art recently, what precisely will be done, and when will this be completed. Otherwise yet again it is just only empty words.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What does improve the EC art mean EXACTLY?

Is it we will just only change the male paperdolls? That is all. Mission Accomplished.
Is it we will totally revamp Factions and just only move the location of a base?
Is it we will stop cheaters and just only ban 10 accounts?
Is it we will dedicate dev time to Siege after this publish and nada?
Is it we will rebuild Magincia and a year (or 3) later you are still saying we will rebuild Magincia?

Or is it

We will turn the EC into a 3D client this year
We will redo every single bit of EC art this year
We have hired 2 new full time experienced artists from Activision

So what precisely has been done to improve EC art recently, what precisely will be done, and when will this be completed. Otherwise yet again it is just only empty words.
I... what

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Regarding newbie experience:

NEWBIES NEED RUNEBOOKS!

They need a way to access content better than running around New Haven all day until they finally go "So what else is there?" and I drop 50k they would never make on their own buying them runebooks.

NEWBIES NEED TO BE TAUGHT TO USE INSURANCE!

Letting them lose all their crap the first time they die outside of young status is a good way to get them to quit.
I died and was looted clean within 5 minutes of entering uo. the idea of a game with danger was intriguing.

Amber Moon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe they are going to focus on the correct things. They finally have there heads on straight.

Yes, focus on continuing to bring in all the fresh blood that you can. Old games die from just old age if this is not attended to.

And some new content flow for the existing players.

These seem like worthy goals to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.