• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Video Posted

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

canary

"aims to entice players with a better starting experience."

UUUGHHHH. That's not what's turning people off to UO. Haven does a fine enough job at easing new players into the game. Myself, I haven't seen a "young" player in a couple years.

The game needs to look better. That's stupid and superficial, yes, but that's what is going to get their attention and get them to even give it a try. And not higher res textures, the models need a redo...everything from the look to the animation needs to be done over with a much higher quality standard.
Actually, New Haven and the new player experience are really bad. New Haven looks like it was designed by interns.

That said, it will take more than that to DRAW new players. I mean, seriously... this game is ugly compared to most onlines. On both clients it looks just not good. At all. And especially since it has a monthly fee, I doubt few will try this over, say, LotR or EQ2 or Runes of Magic. Because, lets be honest, from a visual level it just can't compare in the slightest. And let's also be honest here that for someone just looking around for a game, VISUALS ARE IMPORTANT.

Get the game looking decent. That really should be the focus if you want new blood.

W

Woodsman

"aims to entice players with a better starting experience."

UUUGHHHH. That's not what's turning people off to UO. Haven does a fine enough job at easing new players into the game. Myself, I haven't seen a "young" player in a couple years.
I recently did the Haven thing and it was not good. There was plenty that could be improved. Nothing against the teens and college kids these days, and I'm not saying necessarily that they need their hands held, but at this point, anybody picking up UO for the first time is going to need some help. Most of us still around had at least a passing experience with the Ultima games and could slide right into UO from VII (VIII does not exist).

I think the Blackrock Golems in New Haven did help with the immersion a bit :party:

The game needs to look better. That's stupid and superficial, yes, but that's what is going to get their attention and get them to even give it a try. And not higher res textures, the models need a redo...everything from the look to the animation needs to be done over with a much higher quality standard.
It would be very dumb if they put so much effort into the new player experience and didn't upgrade the graphics.

However, in the video when he talks about a "higher resolution environment artset", unless things have changed, in the past environment referred to the world and not the client.

Some of you may remember Dave Brown, aka CatHat, or maybe that was before your time. Anyways, he was an environmental artist and he was not doing artwork for the client interface - he was doing in-game artwork.

It's possible that the definition of "environment" has been changed from the game world and monsters to the client, this is EA after all, but I'm guessing that environment still refers to the types of things that CatHat did.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm at britain bank/park... :thumbup:

I for one, yes I haven't played since age of shadows, but I still kind of should have something. I'm a beta vet and I logged on my old account only to find my characters erased, and no veteran rewards...

I can't even get an ethy even if I played and even contributed to this game so much.

I have to buy gold to chinese underage workers and get one in LUNA.

wooo...

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually, New Haven and the new player experience are really bad. New Haven looks like it was designed by interns.
Personally, I like how New Haven looks and how it is setup for new players.

But sure, if they can find a way that is improved in any way for when a new player enters this world then I´m all for it...

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Or just download one of another thousand MMO's and try one that doesn't make you walk uphill both ways. Hrm...
While you're into it, why not just download a single player game that starts off at the victory screen at the end? Since challenge and effort seem to be the sticking points, why not?

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or just download one of another thousand MMO's and try one that doesn't make you walk uphill both ways. Hrm...
but if you try and make the game a clone of other games, they will all beat us via experience.

I myself have always been a trader in UO, but it was the thrill of danger around every corner that made it worth playing to me.

I'm also a trader in EVE, it's much easier to stay alive in EVE than old school UO, but at the same time it never gets my heart racing like old UO did.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I had the "rough time" starting out, ended up creating and ditching a few characters before really getting the hang of things. Stuck with it why? Because as I put it in another thread "There's just something about Britannia" to an Ultima fan that goes beyond the various issues the game had and has.

For people who were more about online gaming and less about Ultima, it was mostly due to the fact that until EQ, there wasn't anything that equalled what UO was at any significant level. Sure there were MUDs, but those were text-based and only sported a few (in comparison) players at any given time and rarely allowed the players to have the level of impact that UO allowed.

But the beginning (i.e.first character created experience) of UO now vs the beginning of UO in 1998 doesn;t really exist in a vaccuum either. Sure UO (in our crotchety old vet minds) is a lot easier to start out in than it was in 1997, 1998, 1999, etc., the video game genre as a whole has become this way.

You used to get plopped down in the middle of somewhere and basically told "Go!" (SOMETIMES the game manual would have a starter's walkthrough to get you through the first few hurdles, sometimes not). Now you get a "tutorial level" easing you into every nuance the game offers. Basic controls, movement, inventory management, etc all are done step by step in an "idiot's guide" fashion.

It's not the fault of the player just trying to get started, it's just the way it has become.

W

Woodsman

Personally, I like how New Haven looks and how it is setup for new players.

But sure, if they can find a way that is improved in any way for when a new player enters this world then I´m all for it...
Set up a trial account for somebody who has never played UO. It's not intuitive - you get the basics, but you're still left hanging, and lacking in some knowledge that we take for granted. If you're talking about somebody who has played other MMORPGs, it's a little better, but not much - there is a lot about UO that is so unique to UO that a lot of people who have played other MMORPGs would skip right over certain things.

It is good they are putting a lot of effort into the new player stuff as well as high resolution graphics.

I wouldn't mind them pushing out Ultima I - VIII and the Underworlds and the Underworlds and even the Worlds of Ultima through some kind of free offering with a DOSBox setup, or on the iPhone/iPad. Those would help generate interest in UO. Other companies are aggressively monetizing their old IPs on the iPhone/iPad and in some cases there has been enough renewed interest to start a franchise back up.

The big thing I want to know next week is if the artwork upgrade will be finished by the 15th anniversary next year, and I'd love to know what happend to the lost month and a half between January 3rd and now.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You two and claim it was so great all you want. I couldn't give away UO accounts to people who knew what UO had to offer when EQ came out. There is a very good reason for that. EQ did well back then as well. As I recall, it's still going. I hear it even has a classic server Lolz.

W

Woodsman

... I had the "rough time" starting out, ended up creating and ditching a few characters before really getting the hang of things. Stuck with it why? Because as I put it in another thread "There's just something about Britannia" to an Ultima fan that goes beyond the various issues the game had and has.
We now have a a generation of gamers who really have no experience with Ultima and I think that hurts a little bit. If you look at somebody who is 18-22 years old, they might have experienced Ultima IX, which is a negative thing in my book. If they think of Ultima, they are either going to think of that old guy that went into space or of an outdated MMORPG that is occasionally mentioned or of some browser game.

I've played the Ultimas on my iPhone (well not VII, not yet at least) and it's not a bad way to experience it - it's nothing like the high-resolution revamps they did of the Monkey Island games, but it's very doable.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is an example of the current competition on the market today:

YouTube - Aion Gameplay HD

When perspective new players are considering a new game...which do you think they might choose...the above, or the below?

YouTube - Ultima Online - Elf or Human new character creation (enhanced client) - TGN

I am not trying to be snarky here (for once)...but he is right. There is no way that UO is going to draw new players with the current clients. The EC, even if it is higher rez, still looks amateurish at best when compared to modern games that UO has to compete with. The gameplay isn't as dissimilar as some would like to claim anymore...so please, do tell...what exactly in that video is going to draw new players? Faster download times? You can get most games on DVD now at your local Target store.
If you compare the Free To Play Everquest II and Free To Play LOTRO clients to the EC, rationally UO is the last game new players will try, and that isnt even taking into account the F2P aspect.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A better new player experience is surely worth some effort. Our days of new players in mass numbers is over. But those who do join up should be encouraged to stay and a good new player experience can help a lot with that.

-Galen's player

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You two and claim it was so great all you want. I couldn't give away UO accounts to people who knew what UO had to offer when EQ came out. There is a very good reason for that. EQ did well back then as well. As I recall, it's still going. I hear it even has a classic server Lolz.
I'm kinda surprised EQ didn't kill UO. Now I know the target playerbase was only 10k when UO came out, however...

EA and OSI hated each other, even before they became 'one'.
UO lost all of its founders and core people around the time EQ released.
EQ was an 'updated' game with less grief

I remember when EQ came out I saw a lot of "left for everquest" on house signs.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

We now have a a generation of gamers who really have no experience with Ultima and I think that hurts a little bit

It definitely hurts from an Intellectual Property level, no doubt about that.

I've played the Ultimas on my iPhone (well not VII, not yet at least) and it's not a bad way to experience it - it's nothing like the high-resolution revamps they did of the Monkey Island games, but it's very doable.

I just put DOSBox and Ultima 6 on my netbook (screen resolution works better on a 12in screen than a 23in).

Personally I'd love to see at least 4 through 7 remade in the UO engine (with either Legacy or Enhanced graphics). I'll freely admit that one of the biggest "Ok now I HAVE to get Stygian Abyss" moments was walking through the area outside Tomb of Kings for the first time and realizing that it was a VERY faithful (down to tree and bush placement) of the gargoyle land in U6.

C

canary

I'm kinda surprised EQ didn't kill UO. Now I know the target playerbase was only 10k when UO came out, however...

EA and OSI hated each other, even before they became 'one'.
UO lost all of its founders and core people around the time EQ released.
EQ was an 'updated' game with less grief

I remember when EQ came out I saw a lot of "left for everquest" on house signs.
EQ didn't hurt UO, imo, as much as SWG did when it came out. It seems like most the people I know fled UO for that game.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

EQ definitely hurt UO, even the SirBruce chart shows it. Yes, at the time UO was still gaining subs, but the gain rate had slowed tremendously due to people leaving (just at the time more were entering than leaving) causing the chart line to flatten out considerably while EQ's shot past UO's numbers that took about a year to achieve in less than a month. And it was NOT due to graphics... sure EQ was 3d, but in the late 90s, 3d was NOTHING special and style and lookswise at the time (at least in my opinion) was several steps backwards from the fluidity and detail of 2d. There were also plenty compaints about the style of play the game used (considering it coined the term "catassing" by Lum and others to refer to the sheer amount of time it took to do anything in the game). Which boils down to the PvP argument. EQ allowed the choice. UO at the time did not. People made the choice.

UO:R, Trammel, and yes, Factions helped UO regain a better upward curve which it retained until Third Dawn which everyone knows was released an incomplete mess and was simply too early for its time technologically. LBR was a complete dud flattening out the subscriber base. AOS, despite claims otherwise, caused at least a temporary rgain in accounts (Mainly due to customized housing, Chivalry and Necro, Doom possibly to a lesser extext) before the slide began.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is an example of the current competition on the market today:

YouTube - Aion Gameplay HD

When perspective new players are considering a new game...which do you think they might choose...the above, or the below?

YouTube - Ultima Online - Elf or Human new character creation (enhanced client) - TGN

I am not trying to be snarky here (for once)...but he is right. There is no way that UO is going to draw new players with the current clients. The EC, even if it is higher rez, still looks amateurish at best when compared to modern games that UO has to compete with. The gameplay isn't as dissimilar as some would like to claim anymore...so please, do tell...what exactly in that video is going to draw new players? Faster download times? You can get most games on DVD now at your local Target store.
i would also suggest taking a look at darkfall YouTube - Darkfall is coming, the closest mmo to old school uo, many current subscribers to darkfall have played uo from 97-99 and quit, this is what a game should look like this day and age and to me it definitely has an old school uo feel, felucca only, risk in everything you do, pks could be anywhere, full loot, no instances

W

Woodsman

I'll freely admit that one of the biggest "Ok now I HAVE to get Stygian Abyss" moments was walking through the area outside Tomb of Kings for the first time and realizing that it was a VERY faithful (down to tree and bush placement) of the gargoyle land in U6.
Whoever worked on and designed that had a lot of love for U6.
EQ didn't hurt UO, imo, as much as SWG did when it came out. It seems like most the people I know fled UO for that game.
Some of that was people following Raph Koster. He has a huge fanbase, even now. I've even tried almost everything he's worked on. Also it was Star Wars, which has a built-in fanbase in and of itself.

It's funny how in the early years UO had even less of a new user experience, but I do think an improved user experience is needed. At least back then people had the Ultima games to prepare them.

I wonder if the higher resolution artwork is the KR or if it's something else. I can't imagine them not using the KR artwork and just tweaking it.

L

Longforge

That said, it will take more than that to DRAW new players. I mean, seriously... this game is ugly compared to most onlines. On both clients it looks just not good. At all. And especially since it has a monthly fee, I doubt few will try this over, say, LotR or EQ2 or Runes of Magic. Because, lets be honest, from a visual level it just can't compare in the slightest. And let's also be honest here that for someone just looking around for a game, VISUALS ARE IMPORTANT.

Get the game looking decent. That really should be the focus if you want new blood.
Yet UO is the oldest and best one out there. End of story. It's still awesome and better than the graphics card killing ones out there.

People aren't looking for scenery, they're looking for a multi-faceted game. As Richard Garriot said... you're a citizen here in UO.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

People aren't looking for scenery, they're looking for a multi-faceted game

Why do people think these two are mutually exclusive?

C

canary

Yet UO is the oldest and best one out there. End of story. It's still awesome and better than the graphics card killing ones out there.

People aren't looking for scenery, they're looking for a multi-faceted game. As Richard Garriot said... you're a citizen here in UO.
That sounds great, you know. sadly it is far from the truth.

People are not clamoring for a game looking like UO, they just aren't. YOU may find it awesome, but facts are that when people are looking for a new game, it isn't UO they are going to try out. And the look of it is indeed NOT a bonus for potential new players.

And no, it isn't 'end of story'. Oldest does not equal 'the best'. To YOU, maybe. But if we look at actual subscription numbers, no... you would be dead wrong.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Whoever worked on and designed that had a lot of love for U6.

I believe that would be Draconi.

Kat

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let´s get back to the lie Mesanna told in the video:

"We have Event Moderators on every shard."

Siege Perilous has NO Event Moderator.

Now, a question to Mesanna or some other dev that might know.

Has someone recently been appointed as an EM on Siege and will begin there soon or is it what I wrote earlier, just a lie?

Or is it just further proof that the devs have no interest in us (Siege) whatsoever and will keep ignoring us to death?

I´ll await an answer to this shortly. Thanks.
Mesanna - Thanks to your inability to find the time to train him, Siege does not and has not had an EM for quite some time.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Will someone help Kaleb please?

- C
No offense, Cal, but if you addressed the issue directly by saying, "Right now, it just doesn't make sense for us to move forward on a classic shard," instead of cryptically saying (paraphrase), "A secondary ruleset that's basically a checklist wouldn't please everyone, so we're going to work on what brought those players into the game..." then Kaleb probably wouldn't need help.

I mean, no offense, Cal, but that doesn't directly answer the question, and it sure doesn't even set out a direction.

Now, I know you caveat all of this with, "We'll talk more about this in a few days," but seriously, after MONTHS of waiting for that particular answer, if I were a Classic Sharder, I'd be offended by the indirect answer and lack of a respectful, classy response. Secondly, we waited WEEKS UPON WEEKS for this "video," which could have been summed up with a post on the Herald.

This video thing, truly, and regardless of the usual suspects in the cheering section, is a PR disaster, and should have been handled much better. I respect that the team is much smaller than it should be, but that doesn't excuse good, straightforward communication, and this video is more carrot less communication.

P

Playhardgopro

A guy just posted this on the video page and it's great:

"I worked for Origin back on '00 on the Renaissance Edition, and have worked on other games with "legacy" issues, thus I can appreciate the challenges here. You have, in essence, a Massively Single Player game with too many long time players who resist change with a religious passion while too many others become more obsessed with the buying and selling of UDIs than with game play. All quests are single player and most are Fed-Ex quests. Plus, culturally, it's actually considered an achievement to solo bosses, which is understandable but a sad commentary on the state of the game. Thus even people of good will, intelligence, and fine intent will need to take significant risks to make this game enticing to new players.

In the eight months I've been back, after ten years away, I've seen one major expansion and at least six major patches - or "publishes" as they like to call them. I've seen Thanksgiving gifts, Holiday gifts, Anniversary gifts and even Valentine's day teddy bears given out. Yet there has not been a single upgrade to the new player experience or to the woefully out of date gear new player quests deliver.

In UO - and I don't mean this as sarcastically as it sounds - it's a "You have to have been there to be here" game.

Twenty fewer skill points

Shy five stat

You can't use this

And you can't use that

This is the new player experience. It sounds harsh but I know the team is small and the demands placed upon them are enormous. Thus I do not mean for this to - in any way - imply that the current development team is inept or stupid. They're not.

The UO free trial page give you two choices: a Classic client that would look dated to the grandparents of most new prospects or an Enhanced Client that you're told remains in beta. Sadly, quaint doesn't play in contemporary computer gaming and the word, beta, is an off-putting prospect for anyone starting out.

You get 1000 gold in a game where anything useful costs millions and the street price of UO gold is fifty cents a million. Oh, and you get a candle, a fireworks wand and a blank book.

There is no checklist provided, based on the character type you've created, for the character advancement quests that are available to you. Instead there is a bot outside the bank that repeats "Click on me for help" ad nauseum but provides little when you do.

Oddly, the first step in most of these is to pay 400 of that 1000 gold to get the first 40 points of skill, with the next 10 coming from a quest. Why in blazes those first points are not part of the initial character creation process defies understanding as does the price point. At the end you get an item may have been useful prior to the most recent major expansion.

Clearly you need more information. If you go to the official site you get a message that its content is being "updated soon." Stratics, the site most new players are told to try next, has information that, in some cases, has been out of date for up to a decade. Go to the forums and you're told to read a readme before posting, basically saying that you have to earn the right to ask questions and nobody wants to hear a question that's been asked before.

Many players in-game try to be helpful but most are so steeped in the lexicon of the game that they do not know that their answers make no sense. How do I train archery? "100% poison wep on a Gollum, Enemy of One." Yes, that was an actual answer. I asked the player who posed the question if he understood a single word of that. Of course his answer was no.

Scroll over a weapon and you'll get an incomprehensible list of attributes, such as Hit Lower Defense, Hit Poison Area, Use Best Weapon Skill, Repond Slayer....sorry but it simply makes no sense at all.

You're trying to hook up with another player who tells you to go north. Good luck with that. The UO compass is canted 45 degrees to the east. You have a positive experience with a player and want to see that player again. Good luck with that too. There are no friends or buddy lists in UO. There are Guilds and your Client has Guild invitations set to Ignore by default. There is not dating in UO, only marriage.

My apologies. This is getting too long and a bit tedious. Allow me to summarize what I believe the new player experience needs to be:

One client and not the Classic one on the free trial page. This means getting the EC out of beta which should happen before any more updates, expansions, or even gifts are delivered in the game.

More points given during character creation

More information, if the player wants it, on the character creation screens

Dump the part about customizing the template disqualifying you from new player quests. It's not true.

Provide players with a checklist of quests based on the character they've created along with a "Take me there" button next to each, and save this to the player journal which is highlighted until either the player's young status is aged off or the player declines the quests.

Spot new players at least 1 million gold. Yes, players will create new characters just to get the gold and a veteran player could start on any shard with 6. So what? 6 million UO gold is worth 3 dollars. The million gold is worth fifty cents. The games costs 13 dollars a month for the subscription.

All players begin with the 720 skill point cap. The 5 extra stat points can remain a six month veteran reward. Other veteran rewards should be cosmetic, not tactical. It's okay that a 13 year veteran player can ride around on an ethereal armored Boura (a cross between a water buffalo and a Ice Age ox) or wear dazzling clothing, but it's not okay to put new players at a fundamental disadvantage from the start. Lots of these folks will want an actual game, after all, and all games since the beginning of time are based on human competition. Even Solitaire is PvP.

Players leaving the new player island of New Haven should depart with at least a 100LRC/70s suit (no ingredients needed to cast spells, maximum armor protection is 70 percent). Nobody is going to farm this stuff because, as players advance, they will get equipment with more tactical attributes. Mages should have full spellbooks. Warriors should have at least one weapon with the fundamental capability bonuses. UO relies heavily on tactical bonuses added to jewelry - up to five for each piece (ring and bracelet). New players should leave New Haven with a ring and braclet with at least 3 bonuses of medium intensity each. And they should leave with the skill level currently provided by the Advanced Character Token - not enough to be deadly but enough to make the journey to become deadly more interesting and congruent with the game activity they desire.

There should be a matchmaking service if guilds want to register for it. Siege Perilous (the forbidding sounding server where the old, Hobbs State of Nature rules apply) has a guild called NEW that players can join for up to 30 days. It has players who have volunteered to help new players with basic gear and game help. Yes, some will make up griefer guilds and can do so in minutes, but that can be remedied with a few checks for guild age and history of harassment complaints of guild members.

I'd like to suggest a one year feature freeze with bug fixes only but that's likely outside the realm of what the team can decide on their own to do.

Oh, and lastly for now, stop telling new players, every time they log in, that they are too young to receive a gift. Just stop it. Rather, give them a gift if it's a genuine new account, and the player has completed the quests he agreed to take.

The rest falls into realms of SEO and guerilla marketing. I doubt there is much of a budget for much else, but that's another matter entirely.

If you've made it this far, thank you.

Jonathan"

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Spot new players at least 1 million gold. Yes, players will create new characters just to get the gold and a veteran player could start on any shard with 6. So what? 6 million UO gold is worth 3 dollars. The million gold is worth fifty cents. The games costs 13 dollars a month for the subscription.

All players begin with the 720 skill point cap. The 5 extra stat points can remain a six month veteran reward. Other veteran rewards should be cosmetic, not tactical. It's okay that a 13 year veteran player can ride around on an ethereal armored Boura (a cross between a water buffalo and a Ice Age ox) or wear dazzling clothing, but it's not okay to put new players at a fundamental disadvantage from the start. Lots of these folks will want an actual game, after all, and all games since the beginning of time are based on human competition. Even Solitaire is PvP.

Players leaving the new player island of New Haven should depart with at least a 100LRC/70s suit (no ingredients needed to cast spells, maximum armor protection is 70 percent). Nobody is going to farm this stuff because, as players advance, they will get equipment with more tactical attributes. Mages should have full spellbooks. Warriors should have at least one weapon with the fundamental capability bonuses. UO relies heavily on tactical bonuses added to jewelry - up to five for each piece (ring and bracelet). New players should leave New Haven with a ring and braclet with at least 3 bonuses of medium intensity each. And they should leave with the skill level currently provided by the Advanced Character Token - not enough to be deadly but enough to make the journey to become deadly more interesting and congruent with the game activity they desire.

Why not just give them a castle, a full set of artifacts, and max stats while we're at it? Why even HAVE a newbie zone? Might as well turn all the shards into Test Center.

The rest was decent stuff, but the part quoted above, not so much IMO.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Concerning the stability of the Enhanced Client at the moment it is very bad and not as stable as described in the video, you should take a look at that in the near future. It was stable long time for me, but the last patches broke it and bring it to the state of KR for me, i got a lot of random movement crashes especially in housing areas, seems to be only in the same areas, but i cant define what caused it.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He was talking about the client and kind of summed it up and then said it's "always been a dream of ours to get a higher resolution environment artset" and they showed two different videos - one zoomed in and one zoomed out, and the one that was zoomed in didn't seem pixelated. Granted, the video was 360p instead of 720p, but the artwork seemed to reflect higher resolution, because at that zoom level, it really looks bad with the current art work.
Okay, I'll watch it again and check it out. I was hoping the first response meant hi-res 2D artwork, heh. Oh well.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I've watched it a couple times and framed through it... both footages are of the current EC, I've already identified the UI being used, and the textures are an older version. I believe that Storm also knows the source of the videos.

The video itself almost regardless of zoom is really too small to show the pixellation and distortion.

Vampyre Kitty

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will prolly sound rather ungrateful here.. but at this point I could care less... we waited HOW long for this video.. and this is it? This is a preview right.. because if this is it in it's entirety that's sad... I don't even see wth PR had to do to edit here.. you blink and the things over... it's crap like this that makes me glad I chose to close 3 of 4 accounts.. my other is running out soon and at this point I'll be saving another 12.99 a month.. UO likes to dangle the carrot to players further and further it seems like.. it's almost like they don't even care anymore.. yet WE are the ones that fund their paycheques imagine that.. they do nothing but empty promises.. and wonder why subscriptions have prolly fallen to an all time low.. they don't listen to the most important things players want.. they seem to just care about how much revenue they can pull in a month... oh well.. I'm tired of empty promises.. I'll find a game where devs actually care what players want and listen.

W

Woodsman

You are right, with only 360p, it's hard to tell.

The environment thing though is definitely related to the in-game artwork. I looked around at past artists that had environment/environmental in their title and they all worked on the in-game artwork and not the clients. CatHat is the better known artist to me, but there were others.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Concerning the stability of the Enhanced Client at the moment it is very bad and not as stable as described in the video, you should take a look at that in the near future. It was stable long time for me, but the last patches broke it and bring it to the state of KR for me, i got a lot of random movement crashes especially in housing areas, seems to be only in the same areas, but i cant define what caused it.
I made a point in another thread that when you have a small dev team working on 2 clients for patching they are doubling their work load. I can see where mistakes can happen when they are going back and forth on 2 clients. They need to focus on one client.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Mesanna - Thanks to your inability to find the time to train him, Siege does not and has not had an EM for quite some time.
Didn't you see the @2009 copyright at the end :p 2 years ago Siege had EM's :p

C

canary

I will prolly sound rather ungrateful here.. but at this point I could care less... we waited HOW long for this video.. and this is it? This is a preview right.. because if this is it in it's entirety that's sad... I don't even see wth PR had to do to edit here.. you blink and the things over... it's crap like this that makes me glad I chose to close 3 of 4 accounts.. my other is running out soon and at this point I'll be saving another 12.99 a month.. UO likes to dangle the carrot to players further and further it seems like.. it's almost like they don't even care anymore.. yet WE are the ones that fund their paycheques imagine that.. they do nothing but empty promises.. and wonder why subscriptions have prolly fallen to an all time low.. they don't listen to the most important things players want.. they seem to just care about how much revenue they can pull in a month... oh well.. I'm tired of empty promises.. I'll find a game where devs actually care what players want and listen.
Indeed. Of all the onlines I play, UO is the only one I find the communication and output of things by its dev team so lacking I feel the need to complain. There is something wrong, very wrong at Mythic offices that needs corrected. This kind of dismissive attitude towards those who help pay their salaries is insulting.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A guy just posted this on the video page and it's great:

"I worked for Origin back on '00 on the Renaissance Edition, and have worked on other games with "legacy" issues, thus I can appreciate the challenges here. You have, in essence, a Massively Single Player game with too many long time players who resist change with a religious passion while too many others become more obsessed with the buying and selling of UDIs than with game play. All quests are single player and most are Fed-Ex quests. Plus, culturally, it's actually considered an achievement to solo bosses, which is understandable but a sad commentary on the state of the game. Thus even people of good will, intelligence, and fine intent will need to take significant risks to make this game enticing to new players.

In the eight months I've been back, after ten years away, I've seen one major expansion and at least six major patches - or "publishes" as they like to call them. I've seen Thanksgiving gifts, Holiday gifts, Anniversary gifts and even Valentine's day teddy bears given out. Yet there has not been a single upgrade to the new player experience or to the woefully out of date gear new player quests deliver.

In UO - and I don't mean this as sarcastically as it sounds - it's a "You have to have been there to be here" game.

Twenty fewer skill points

Shy five stat

You can't use this

And you can't use that

This is the new player experience. It sounds harsh but I know the team is small and the demands placed upon them are enormous. Thus I do not mean for this to - in any way - imply that the current development team is inept or stupid. They're not.

The UO free trial page give you two choices: a Classic client that would look dated to the grandparents of most new prospects or an Enhanced Client that you're told remains in beta. Sadly, quaint doesn't play in contemporary computer gaming and the word, beta, is an off-putting prospect for anyone starting out.

You get 1000 gold in a game where anything useful costs millions and the street price of UO gold is fifty cents a million. Oh, and you get a candle, a fireworks wand and a blank book.

There is no checklist provided, based on the character type you've created, for the character advancement quests that are available to you. Instead there is a bot outside the bank that repeats "Click on me for help" ad nauseum but provides little when you do.

Oddly, the first step in most of these is to pay 400 of that 1000 gold to get the first 40 points of skill, with the next 10 coming from a quest. Why in blazes those first points are not part of the initial character creation process defies understanding as does the price point. At the end you get an item may have been useful prior to the most recent major expansion.

Clearly you need more information. If you go to the official site you get a message that its content is being "updated soon." Stratics, the site most new players are told to try next, has information that, in some cases, has been out of date for up to a decade. Go to the forums and you're told to read a readme before posting, basically saying that you have to earn the right to ask questions and nobody wants to hear a question that's been asked before.

Many players in-game try to be helpful but most are so steeped in the lexicon of the game that they do not know that their answers make no sense. How do I train archery? "100% poison wep on a Gollum, Enemy of One." Yes, that was an actual answer. I asked the player who posed the question if he understood a single word of that. Of course his answer was no.

Scroll over a weapon and you'll get an incomprehensible list of attributes, such as Hit Lower Defense, Hit Poison Area, Use Best Weapon Skill, Repond Slayer....sorry but it simply makes no sense at all.

You're trying to hook up with another player who tells you to go north. Good luck with that. The UO compass is canted 45 degrees to the east. You have a positive experience with a player and want to see that player again. Good luck with that too. There are no friends or buddy lists in UO. There are Guilds and your Client has Guild invitations set to Ignore by default. There is not dating in UO, only marriage.

My apologies. This is getting too long and a bit tedious. Allow me to summarize what I believe the new player experience needs to be:

One client and not the Classic one on the free trial page. This means getting the EC out of beta which should happen before any more updates, expansions, or even gifts are delivered in the game.

More points given during character creation

More information, if the player wants it, on the character creation screens

Dump the part about customizing the template disqualifying you from new player quests. It's not true.

Provide players with a checklist of quests based on the character they've created along with a "Take me there" button next to each, and save this to the player journal which is highlighted until either the player's young status is aged off or the player declines the quests.

There should be a matchmaking service if guilds want to register for it. Siege Perilous (the forbidding sounding server where the old, Hobbs State of Nature rules apply) has a guild called NEW that players can join for up to 30 days. It has players who have volunteered to help new players with basic gear and game help. Yes, some will make up griefer guilds and can do so in minutes, but that can be remedied with a few checks for guild age and history of harassment complaints of guild members.

I'd like to suggest a one year feature freeze with bug fixes only but that's likely outside the realm of what the team can decide on their own to do.

Oh, and lastly for now, stop telling new players, every time they log in, that they are too young to receive a gift. Just stop it. Rather, give them a gift if it's a genuine new account, and the player has completed the quests he agreed to take.

The rest falls into realms of SEO and guerilla marketing. I doubt there is much of a budget for much else, but that's another matter entirely.

If you've made it this far, thank you.

Jonathan"
I liked most of the post. Giving new players all the stuff is a little to much. He also forgot that after 7 days you can delete a character to make a new one so with extra accounts a person could make with 6 chars a week x 4 weeks equal 24 million gold in a month. Now thats a gold farming account that could be for anybody with no effort but just creating and deleting characters.

So at 50 cents per mil street value ( god I feel like Im talking about a drug deal here) is 11 dollars it would of cost me to actually buy 24 million gold. So a person pays 2 dollars more a month and own their own gold farming account. Now 13 dollars a month for the extra account and I would farm the gold all for myself and no middle man to deal with. Not a good idea imo.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh I should add do that on all shards and resell that gold. That monlthy 13 dollar sub be nothing to what I would be profiting.

$11.00 per shard x 16+ shards = a minimum $176.00

Big Wang

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How many more empty promises.."soon you will see the best thing ever happen on UO..." ..we are working day and night to improve this....

omg i know 2 years now that's all i've heard!! (and STILL hearing apparently)

In the past year alone UO has lost any luster it had left. Seriously I thought I'd be playign it till THEY TOOK IT AWAY FROM ME...never did I think I'd willingly quit UO...2 of my 3 accounts are off, im cleaning up my last account to shut it off as well because all it will ever be is the same BS said to make players hope it will change and months go by with nothing changing and things only getting worse and the same excuses given as to why. It's horribly sad when Runescape looks better than UO..:lol:..and i don't even play Runescape so that tells you just how pathetic UO has become.

As far as the video..lol..it's like watching the 3 stooges beat a dead horse....
it's dead..bury the f'er already! And the best thing is what their bringing for the new players..lol..what new players?

One moment in UO I won't ever forget, a moment that made me realize how lazy the team behind UO really is...Thanksgiving 2010...same BS drops..same everything from 2009 even the bottles had 2009 date on them..thats pretty pathetic....

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How many more empty promises.."soon you will see the best thing ever happen on UO..." ..we are working day and night to improve this....

omg i know 2 years now that's all i've heard!! (and STILL hearing apparently)

In the past year alone UO has lost any luster it had left. Seriously I thought I'd be playign it till THEY TOOK IT AWAY FROM ME...never did I think I'd willingly quit UO...2 of my 3 accounts are off, im cleaning up my last account to shut it off as well because all it will ever be is the same BS said to make players hope it will change and months go by with nothing changing and things only getting worse and the same excuses given as to why. It's horribly sad when Runescape looks better than UO..:lol:..and i don't even play Runescape so that tells you just how pathetic UO has become.

As far as the video..lol..it's like watching the 3 stooges beat a dead horse....
it's dead..bury the f'er already! And the best thing is what their bringing for the new players..lol..what new players?

One moment in UO I won't ever forget, a moment that made me realize how lazy the team behind UO really is...Thanksgiving 2010...same BS drops..same everything from 2009 even the bottles had 2009 date on them..thats pretty pathetic....
Sooo, if hearing anything good from their plans for UO simply means bs and empty promises to you then what would you want to hear from them? You sound like someone who wouldn't believe anything anyone has to say ever. I think I would tell you don't be too hasty to bash something when they just said. But then again I enjoy the game I play and would expect it to last much longer as it always has been doing.

T

Tazar

so with extra accounts a person could make with 6 chars a week x 4 weeks equal 24 million gold in a month. Now thats a gold farming account that could be for anybody with no effort but just creating and deleting characters.
* 20+ shards (X-shard the gold with folks on another shards) and you'd be a billionaire in a few months...

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I would guess it has to do with the syndrome that turns the Dev statement of "We would like to do X" into "THE DEVS PROMISED US X!!!!"

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
* 20+ shards (X-shard the gold with folks on another shards) and you'd be a billionaire in a few months...
LOL. I had to much gold as it is on my old accounts. I would loot anything I kill. Sell anything under Luna prices and make gold faster while they sat in Luna trying to sell the same items.

They should try to revamp the gold system and add new coins to maybe stabilize the in game economy.

Big Wang

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sooo, if hearing anything good from their plans for UO simply means bs and empty promises to you then what would you want to hear from them? You sound like someone who wouldn't believe anything anyone has to say ever. I think I would tell you don't be too hasty to bash something when they just said. But then again I enjoy the game I play and would expect it to last much longer as it always has been doing.
First off i didn't hear anything good from the video..i heard same old same old..hence me saying the 3 stooges beating a dead horse bit.I would want to hear from them that they finally have stopped beating that dead horse and laid it to a peaceful rest.

Ive been hearing things for the past 6 years and every year believed...until i realized this past year im basically wasting my money and decided to stop doing that...which,last i checked, is rightfully my decision since it is my money that has been paying for 3 accounts for years now... on a game that won't ever be anything past what it is right now. For me UO was great back in the day but now it's just all gone to hell.

And I think I would tell you to get the wool cover off your eyes and see them and the game for truly what it has become.

Status
Not open for further replies.