• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Video Posted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xalan Dementia

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For those who are complaining about this video being so short, Go back and read cals post. This is a shortened version, kinda like a teaser.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Higher resolution art!
Saying that it's always been a dream of theirs to have higher resolution art and actually saying, "We're working on providing higher resolution art," are two entirely different things.

Brinkman also seems to think the Enhanced Client is "almost there."

I challenge that assertion.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Pinco's UI + Copper Texture pack featured in the EC video portion...

WIN

High reolution EC art... SORELY needed,good to hear it mentioned.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I noticed that myself! It is hard to tell from the video if the art is high res but it sure looked good

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For those who are complaining about this video being so short, Go back and read cals post. This is a shortened version, kinda like a teaser.
I'm actually amazed that after months of this video taking time to appear that people are going to fill in the blanks for Mythic in a way that gives them the benefit of the doubt.

Cal did not imply, did not state, and has certainly not even intimated that there is any more to this video that will be forthcoming.

What he said is that this is shorter than the original version, and that they'll talk more at the next HoC.

No where is there an implication that we'll actually ever see the "uncut" version of this video.

And for as long as it took for them to get this video out the door, for as little as it appears that they'll be doing for UO over the course of the next few months, I have to say, I'm not exactly impressed. Now, I say that with the caveat that I understand UO's on a skeleton crew and that I do truly believe they're doing the best they can with the staff they have. I don't question that hard work is going into UO.

I simply question that it's enough.

T

Tazar

I died and was looted clean within 5 minutes of entering uo. the idea of a game with danger was intriguing.
exactly, learn the hard way to be safe from then on.
The first time I logged in, I wondered why the game was in black and white... then I realized that I was PK'd and looted dry before the log-in process was complete and visible on my monitor. Sorry, but there is no "learn the hard way to be safe" from that for a new player.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is that watchertoo's footage of my most-recent Magincian Crusade event I see in there?

Or am I just nuts?

-Galen's player

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You should clarify if this is the video (and this less than 2.5 minutes was all you could get EA to approve, because, let's face it, they kinda suck out there), or if there's more from the video itself coming.

If this is the final version, shortened though it may be, it should still be on the Herald, along with an advertisement for the HoC.

-Galen's player

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Higher resolution art!
Saying that it's always been a dream of theirs to have higher resolution art and actually saying, "We're working on providing higher resolution art," are two entirely different things.

Brinkman also seems to think the Enhanced Client is "almost there."

I challenge that assertion.
Yes what specifically has been done and will be done to EC art?

Otherwise it is just another carrot... like a Classic shard.

I am in the 'when I see it I will believe it' camp, because in last years State of the Game, Cal highlighted a total faction pvp revamp and eliminating cheating as priorities and in both cases effectively nothing has been done.

MrWilliams

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for clearing up the classic shard issue Cal, it has finally provided me with the closure I need. UO was always very dear to my heart and I'll never forget those fantastic moments I had pre AoS. I understand that a classic shard may not seem like such a good business venture for the company, probably even more so now since the exceptionally successful release of a recent classic free shard, which really would be difficult to compete with for a variety of reasons. Probably, mostly because they really understand and connect with what classic sharders desire and are able to take a focused approach in one direction without having to please the entire populace. My UO adventures no belong elsewhere.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I am in the 'when I see it I will believe it' camp, because in last years State of the Game, Cal highlighted a total faction pvp revamp and eliminating cheating as priorities and in both cases effectively nothing has been done.
Umm.....Actually stuff was done. They did a Faction revamp, aimed not at Factioners per se but at hard-core PvPers in general, and it was received badly.

They did a small-scale banning aimed at cheaters and people simultaneously complained that it was too much and wasn't enough.

You could, of course, reasonably complain about what they did. The Faction changes, for example, were pitched at entirely the wrong audience; tone-deaf if you will. And the bans obviously didn't have the ripple effect they probably intended.

-Galen's player

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I died and was looted clean within 5 minutes of entering uo. the idea of a game with danger was intriguing.
exactly, learn the hard way to be safe from then on.
The first time I logged in, I wondered why the game was in black and white... then I realized that I was PK'd and looted dry before the log-in process was complete and visible on my monitor. Sorry, but there is no "learn the hard way to be safe" from that for a new player.
Did you ever log in again and continue to play for 10+ years ?? My guess is people did and whether they went on to be pvpers or standard pvmers...most got a "rush" when they saw they were getting attacked :)

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was hoping they would announce a total rebuild of the paper dolls in the EC and all the wearables. Thought the female version of what we have now is much better, they really need to be more statuesque and less posed

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I was hoping they would announce a total rebuild of the paper dolls in the EC and all the wearables. Thought the female version of what we have now is much better, they really need to be more statuesque and less posed

Like this?

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Like this?

I like the face of that model, But the hand looks dodgy.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Probably they got tired of doing nothing and started doing what I did 10 years ago, custom modification ? :popcorn:

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

That's the EC paperdoll for male event moderators (and probably any male "hooded-robe" character like a GM (or counselor or Seer if they were still around)).

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Noone really clarified me about that EC thing... when you zoom out, do you also see players from further away ?

That would be the biggest advantage in PvP that I could think of in a tile based game, godlike I would say...

is it ?

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Umm.....Actually stuff was done. They did a Faction revamp, aimed not at Factioners per se but at hard-core PvPers in general, and it was received badly.

They did a small-scale banning aimed at cheaters and people simultaneously complained that it was too much and wasn't enough.

You could, of course, reasonably complain about what they did. The Faction changes, for example, were pitched at entirely the wrong audience; tone-deaf if you will. And the bans obviously didn't have the ripple effect they probably intended.

-Galen's player
Not saying nothing was done. Saying effectively nothing was done.

You can say I will improve the EC art, and even if all you do during the year is just only add higher resolution art for a mongbat, technically you have improved the art in the EC, but effectively you have done nothing.

So maybe some clarification on what exactly will be done is needed, because if all that is going to happen is mongbats will get higher resolution art, saying the EC art will be improved are just empty words.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

That's the EC paperdoll for male event moderators (and probably any male "hooded-robe" character like a GM (or counselor or Seer if they were still around)).

Well it makes a hell of a difference. It isn't my perfect vision of what the paper doll should look like. But it's its enough to shut me up about it.... for now :)

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
HD... as much as you have evolved and complexified your views in the last months...

You're just talking to talk here ; there is no argument that making UO simply work is a challenge, I did some code work myself... it's nice at first, but when you get script clogs and memory allowance problems you don't think it's any better than C++

I'm sure many UO producers wanted to redo the art, some kind of could, but then were cut the grass under their feet. The whole process is too expensive, until they realise what UO is truely worth...

They are like US presidents, truely kings in many ways. They will go down in history as to how and when they used their hearts and fought the guardian.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

The first time I logged in, I wondered why the game was in black and white... then I realized that I was PK'd and looted dry before the log-in process was complete and visible on my monitor.
Ummm...the very first time you logged in was OUTSIDE of town?

Not bloody likely.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not impressed by this video in the slightest way...

UO doesn't get new players, we haven't in years, lets face it when the new generation of gamers finds out what an mmorpg is, they aren't going to want to try some horrible graphic 13 year old game, no they wanna try games like WoW, or darkfall, or star wars the old republic, etc... the enhanced client looks horrible compared to any modern day MMO fyi... it looks better than KR but its nothing compared to other games

Also i don't see the point of the new starter area, 1 gb is nothing to download, most games i play are atleast 5 gigs or more, a lot of people have 1 tera byte harddrives these days so its no problem, maybe 5 or 6 years ago it would be more of a problem but 1 gb really is nothing

Every Shard does not have event moderators, I haven't heard from the EMs on legends in like 2 months now so i dunno what they've been up to, the drachenfels EM quit at the beginning of january and still no EM, the Lake Austin EM quit around halloween and it took like 3 months to replace them, there are plenty of players out there willing to be EMs so i don't see why it takes so long

after all the hype this video received, i expected it to last at least 15 minutes, not 2 minutes and change.... the player that posted his own video did a 10x better job and his lasted a lot longer too. Put Origin back in charge of the game please, i don't like what you people are doing to it, thanks

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not saying nothing was done. Saying effectively nothing was done.

You can say I will improve the EC art, and even if all you do during the year is just only add higher resolution art for a mongbat, technically you have improved the art in the EC, but effectively you have done nothing.

So maybe some clarification on what exactly will be done is needed, because if all that is going to happen is mongbats will get higher resolution art, saying the EC art will be improved are just empty words.
Sorry; I flat-out did not notice the effectively. I know you didn't retroactively edit the post either, which is a not uncommon habit on these boards, because it's in my reply too, so it was clearly in the post I replied to and I just missed it.

With the "effectively," of course you're correct, because while they did work on Factions, they didn't implement it, and while they did work on anti-cheating, it didn't amount to much.

Frankly, I mistook your post for one of those dozens of "nothing real is being done" posts, when what's really being said is "nothing I like is being done."

Sorry!

-Galen's player

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It is hard to tell from the video if the art is high res but it sure looked good

It is too difficult to tell based on the video size and the zoom level provided.

Also after a second hearing, the statement about higher resolution graphics for the EC were not as definite and straight forward as they might seem, but then there could be extra context missing due to the cut of the video.

I guess we'll have to pester them at the HoC chat about it.

Neutron Bomb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Cal. Despite all the humbuggery, I believe you have the best intentions, and I feel you are the right man for the job, despite differences on that other shard idea.

Keep up the good work, and look forward to seeing what you guys churn out.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In case anyone doubts this, I'll confirm it.

It was a common practice in the pre-Trammel days, when UO's lack of competition ensured it got a lot of new players. Things like this used to send people, sighing, into the arms of Nexus: Kingdom of the Winds and then later Everquest.

If you're wondering how this occurred, it was that the NPCs didn't always call guards back then (or the NPCs were lured away, I forget which), guard whaking wasn't always automatic, the new player didn't necessarily know to call guards or didn't think to (or was dead before he or she finished logging in for the first time), etc.

-Galen's player

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Morgana, please don't snap at people ?

If he logged during the time of the explosion bug, it's very possible that a pack of reds could have gotten him.

I can think of many other instances, where he would.

This is a nice perspective Demonous, it is true that it has to radically change to survive.

They will realise this too, but the guardian has every incentive to keep that from happening.

He's very content to hold the "all seeing eye" and... oh that right, it's now PG-13... I'm sorry I can't say it but it would make you angry.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Also looking at the EC portion of the video, that's an older version of the Copper Texture pack for Pinco's UI, so I'm going to venture a guess and say that the EC fottage is of the current client, not an updated high ress one.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Let´s get back to the lie Mesanna told in the video:

"We have Event Moderators on every shard."

Siege Perilous has NO Event Moderator.

Now, a question to Mesanna or some other dev that might know.

Has someone recently been appointed as an EM on Siege and will begin there soon or is it what I wrote earlier, just a lie?

Or is it just further proof that the devs have no interest in us (Siege) whatsoever and will keep ignoring us to death?

I´ll await an answer to this shortly. Thanks.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like you are right again, you like it don't you ? :thumbup1:

huhuhu keeping cool blood has never been easier

Your point thereby stands peer-reviewed.

I should try the EC at least once... heh.

To be honest I'm more like an old... shipwreck right now, I'm devastated by the state of even the accuracy of the history of my shard.

At least I have a good excuse, overpowering nostalgia.

*ps in reply to Dermott

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Morgana, please don't snap at people ?

If he logged during the time of the explosion bug, it's very possible that a pack of reds could have gotten him.
Again, I state...not bloody likely. More likely he is posting that for effect.

Now, if he were to say something like "there were many times when I logged in dead", I'd have to shout out a great big ol' amen to that! I cannot remember the number of times I awoke in Hythloth or somewhere...somewhere I DID NOT log out at...surrounded by reds and looking at a black and white screen.

However, the very first time you logged on to the game was always in a town...so pardon me if I choose not to buy it.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
we have been discussing this in skype and came to the same conclusion actually I know whose vids those are and where they came from ! Ill give you a hint one of them is staff here :)

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah I knew you'd show up tjalle, mr 33 degree...

You bend alot of confluence on a woman that did probably more for UO than you know, the mere takeover of the AMT on atlantic and many other community "restorations" have occured.

But here we are talking about a game that is now PG-13, with all the political baggage it infers.

Sit and think before you type, please let's keep this civil this time.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe not buy it, but steal it, just like the good ol emulators ?

I have a point, I don't merely intervene for the sake of friendship ; friendship is dynamic and active, it has to happen in the now.

ps : momentary lapse of reason... you are letting the PoV stone decay ?

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can see why that video took so long to make. The graphics are tremendous! Cal and company looked like real people. Wish they had the time to include elves and gargoyles too.

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In case anyone doubts this, I'll confirm it.

It was a common practice in the pre-Trammel days, when UO's lack of competition ensured it got a lot of new players. Things like this used to send people, sighing, into the arms of Nexus: Kingdom of the Winds and then later Everquest.

If you're wondering how this occurred, it was that the NPCs didn't always call guards back then (or the NPCs were lured away, I forget which), guard whaking wasn't always automatic, the new player didn't necessarily know to call guards or didn't think to (or was dead before he or she finished logging in for the first time), etc.

-Galen's player

polar bears... well that's what I used to make a living off real estate agents. there was a time you could sick the polar bears (on NPCs at least) and hide before the guards came, they would not kill the polar bears. just walk in circles and then vanish.

but man I miss that, made millions on each shard (from people dragging deeds onto the NPC, causing it to go into their backpack)... that's actually how i got my start as a broker =D

there, the secret to my start is out lol.

C

canary

I can see why that video took so long to make. The graphics are tremendous! Cal and company looked like real people. Wish they had the time to include elves and gargoyles too.
Agreed. Those WEEKS with PR really paid off.

J

jaashua

"aims to entice players with a better starting experience."

UUUGHHHH. That's not what's turning people off to UO. Haven does a fine enough job at easing new players into the game. Myself, I haven't seen a "young" player in a couple years.

The game needs to look better. That's stupid and superficial, yes, but that's what is going to get their attention and get them to even give it a try. And not higher res textures, the models need a redo...everything from the look to the animation needs to be done over with a much higher quality standard.

W

Woodsman

Agreed. Those WEEKS with PR really paid off.
I actually think we are pretty lucky, EA had a huge launch this week on the Xbox/PS3/PC. I expected the video to get pushed back another week or two while PR was dealing with this week's launch.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

The game needs to look better. That's stupid and superficial, yes, but that's what is going to get their attention and get them to even give it a try. And not higher res textures, the models need a redo...everything from the look to the animation needs to be done over with a much higher quality standard.
This is an example of the current competition on the market today:

YouTube - Aion Gameplay HD

When perspective new players are considering a new game...which do you think they might choose...the above, or the below?

YouTube - Ultima Online - Elf or Human new character creation (enhanced client) - TGN

I am not trying to be snarky here (for once)...but he is right. There is no way that UO is going to draw new players with the current clients. The EC, even if it is higher rez, still looks amateurish at best when compared to modern games that UO has to compete with. The gameplay isn't as dissimilar as some would like to claim anymore...so please, do tell...what exactly in that video is going to draw new players? Faster download times? You can get most games on DVD now at your local Target store.

Status
Not open for further replies.