• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UOGuide down?

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is shocking how reliant this game it on that site...I can't believe that UO doesn't have the same information relayed in some form one way or another...it is insane.
I disagree, uo.com is much more up to date and it can have “some” more accurate info, but as someone just mentioned the navigation IS horrible, i wish they could add calculators that would be cool, those “3x1.5xtactics-swords/300+eval” are useless :p

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I disagree, uo.com is much more up to date and it can have “some” more accurate info, but as someone just mentioned the navigation IS horrible, i wish they could add calculators that would be cool, those “3x1.5xtactics-swords/300+eval” are useless :p
Everybody needs to remember that the uo.com wiki is basically authored by a single UO player (apart from patch notes).

Meanwhile UOGuide is a community effort authored by dozens of players.

My favorite part of the uo.com wiki is still the meet and greet section, which was updated exactly once in february 2016. It's only the 4th topmost link on their wiki start page lmao. Apart from that the main page is nothing but a list of links. Not even worth a paragraph of text or two. Very welcoming.

Communitywise it's a huge step back, which is not a problem for Broadsword, but for the players. The level of information given in the official wiki is pretty shallow (dosn't go much further than what patch notes tell you). They don't have monster stats, they don't give damage formulas.

Take Spell Damaga Increase: Artifact & Collection Spell Damage Increase items – Ultima Online

That's all the official wiki has on it. The items are not linked or don't even have their own pages. There is no damage formula at all. No pictures. It's a very sad experience.

In general it feels like there are little to no cross links on the new wiki.

I tried to communicate some points, but my experience getting additions or corrections into the uo.com wiki was nothing but horrible. IMO not worth the time in the current shape.

Many wiki today are on gamepedia, which works pretty good getting the community involved. You don't have the gatekeeper problem there nor will the information being held hostage.

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Champion spawns: Champion Spawns – Ultima Online

- Not a single dungeon linked (do they even have pages?)
- No map locations whatsoever
- Not a single monster linked to its page (do they even have pages?)

Let alone strategic advice on templates, weapons, etc for the different champions.

Let's face it, the uo.com wiki is purely a cosmetic beginner wiki. I doubt there is any intention to provide deep insights into the game beyond this bit of feel good wiki.

Or there is some bigger picture to it that I don't grasp yet. But could go for hours wondering how little use most pages over there have and why they need to reinvent the wheel.

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I mean look at this discussion: Macro Command List

People have to beg the uo.com wiki gatekeeper to add information for advanced users. And her answer:
I guess the same way most of us have, by trial and error. There has never been a comprensive guide issued - the devs like us to find things out for ourselves
Like "Let's not add information to the wiki and have every player find out by himself". WTF.

When UOGuide goes down forever, UO won't have a place for indepth information anymore.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Well, we do have a wiki here at Stratics, though UO is far too huge for me to build it alone. Anyone can edit; I'd welcome any contributions! :)

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's a bizarre experience coming back to the game and attempting to figure it all out again. Here is my take on the first few weeks(the RONA inspired me to come back).

I'm "wealthy" in game, came back to about 1Bil in gold on 3 shards and have old friends who have given me items which would seem to be all good but....I want to do the most simple of asks: build a new axe for paladin. Thankfully I have mules, but my ingots and supplies are gone as I forgot to put all that crap away before my houses fell. Where on earth do I find the information about this except uoguide.com? Looked here, it use to be but that seems to be gone(?) and I can't find it on UO.com or the forum which is so clicky I can't believe it.

The process involved is deep, we all know it but a noob wouldn't and it's omgoodness without a link: Make item, pof, imbue then enhance with tool if you know about it. Seems easy enough but even with transfer shields and cash gathering all the needed items has been daunting and very time consuming.....The whole reason for wanting to even look into this was a simple dps thought I had....nothing more.

I have a EJ account and wanted to send it to the abyss to farm imbuing stuff but I can't remember how to get inside, have watched some youtube videos but still haven't done it as it made me sigh trying to figure it out. There is nothing on the UO site anywhere to help me, of course.

PvP is brutal, so very far behind in items, templates and timing. Bok mage splinter something uh and dead 2 seconds later...ok cool.

I understand UO is old, the game evolved like nothing else and the community grew around the game but WOW, from this view I can't see how it will do anything but die without some type of good UO sponsored information page. It is illogical.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, we do have a wiki here at Stratics, though UO is far too huge for me to build it alone. Anyone can edit; I'd welcome any contributions! :)
BUT BUT BUT aren't you suppose to do it all by yourself just like UO.COM. Just like here you can submit info to UO.COM for the Wiki so please tell everybody to get off their high horse and submit info here and UO.COM.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just like here you can submit info to UO.COM for the Wiki so please tell everybody to get off their high horse and submit info here and UO.COM.
If anyone needs to do that it's the owner of UO Guide, who I will not name since he doesn't have a Stratics account anymore and cannot defend himself, who refuses to collaborate with any other website in any way because he wants to protect the ad revenue that goes directly into his pocket despite UO Guide being a community built effort. We tried to combine the Stratics, UO Guide, and official UO wiki's but he would not budge whatsoever unless he was the sole person in charge of all three websites.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Champion spawns: Champion Spawns – Ultima Online

- Not a single dungeon linked (do they even have pages?)
- No map locations whatsoever
- Not a single monster linked to its page (do they even have pages?)

Let alone strategic advice on templates, weapons, etc for the different champions.

Let's face it, the uo.com wiki is purely a cosmetic beginner wiki. I doubt there is any intention to provide deep insights into the game beyond this bit of feel good wiki.

Or there is some bigger picture to it that I don't grasp yet. But could go for hours wondering how little use most pages over there have and why they need to reinvent the wheel.
Mariah Posts: 1,031Moderator
8:55AM Flag
Other navigation tips:
Always scroll to the bottom of a page, several times 'child' pages are linked there, for example
Champion Spawns – Ultima Online
has at the bottom:
Some pages are 'extra' to main pages, consolidating information in a different way, for example
Artifact & Collection Spell Damage Increase items – Ultima Online
is a list, requested by players, gleaned from the main artifact pages. The page for the relevant collection is linked in the right hand column. Following that link will lead you to the image and stats of the item.

UO is large and complex, it isn't always easy to decide which of the given categories a page should be in, the search function is often the easiest way to find what you seek, when used with the tips earlier in this thread.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If anyone needs to do that it's the owner of UO Guide, who I will not name since he doesn't have a Stratics account anymore and cannot defend himself, who refuses to collaborate with any other website in any way because he wants to protect the ad revenue that goes directly into his pocket despite UO Guide being a community built effort. We tried to combine the Stratics, UO Guide, and official UO wiki's but he would not budge whatsoever unless he was the sole person in charge of all three websites.
I am talking about the people here on Stratics submitting info to Stratics Wiki and UO Wiki just like all those people that did it for UOGuide. I said nothiong about UOGuide submitting his info. UO Players built UOGuide and there should be no reason that UO Players can not build UO and Stratics Wikis the same way by submitting info.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I am talking about the people here on Stratics submitting info to Stratics Wiki and UO Wiki just like all those people that did it for UOGuide. I said nothiong about UOGuide submitting his info. UO Players built UOGuide and there should be no reason that UO Players can not build UO and Stratics Wikis the same way by submitting info.
Well, if anyone needs any help to edit here, please do drop me a line! :)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
UOGuide is back!!! I use it or UO.com more than once a day usually. Someone gave me a Torture rack just now. I wanted to look it up.

He put this message on the pages:
May 4, 2020: Red crystal glowing.gif The site is experiencing some issues for the first time in many years. Working on it. Red crystal glowing.gif

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well this is quite the choosing beggar comment. "He just needs to be the one to do all the work and submit all the information in exchange for making less money". Yea what an amazing offer!!!!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well this is quite the choosing beggar comment. "He just needs to be the one to do all the work and submit all the information in exchange for making less money". Yea what an amazing offer!!!!
You misread. He would only accept if he was the one who did all the work. He did not want the community involved. Only his opinions and formulas are correct. Stratics is a community effort.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You misread. He would only accept if he was the one who did all the work. He did not want the community involved. Only his opinions and formulas are correct. Stratics is a community effort.
That's why I had rather liked to see a new wiki on a neutral platform like Wikia.

Your description also better fits the uo.com wiki. I never had any problems adding information to uoguide, not once I had to argue with a gatekeeper like on uo.com.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I for once am looking forward to doing the same work 3 times and arguing with Petra whether your input is worthy or not lol.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
He did not want the community involved.
That is not correct. I do add information on uoguide if I search for something and didn't find it. After finding out how something is, work, looks I add it.
This is seldom but I do it.
Not a whole bunch like content of a publish.
Just before jc was kicked or left here, he makes a competition where you can write an article on uoguide. I won a token worth 10$.
So a wiki is a wiki, it lives from its contributors. Here or there.
It up on you to raise the quality of a wiki.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mariah Posts: 1,031Moderator
8:55AM Flag
Other navigation tips:
Always scroll to the bottom of a page, several times 'child' pages are linked there, for example
Champion Spawns – Ultima Online
has at the bottom:
Some pages are 'extra' to main pages, consolidating information in a different way, for example
Artifact & Collection Spell Damage Increase items – Ultima Online
is a list, requested by players, gleaned from the main artifact pages. The page for the relevant collection is linked in the right hand column. Following that link will lead you to the image and stats of the item.

UO is large and complex, it isn't always easy to decide which of the given categories a page should be in, the search function is often the easiest way to find what you seek, when used with the tips earlier in this thread.
That's exactly my point. You don't need any tips or forum posts explaining UOGuide. But instead of trying to improve the uo.com wiki, feedback is rather greeted with a manual how to use the official wiki and by adding another chapter to it. It's closer to one player's personal blog than a real wiki.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's exactly my point. You don't need any tips or forum posts explaining UOGuide. But instead of trying to improve the uo.com wiki, feedback is rather greeted with a manual how to use the official wiki and by adding another chapter to it. It's closer to one player's personal blog than a real wiki.
And considering some of the ways feedback is given on these forums I would tell you to go to hell too. All info on UO.COM is being vetted to insure it is correct and I hope it is done here also. UOGuide did have disinformation on it at times and JC and others had to go in and correct it. That is the big problem with a wiki that allows anybody to add/change things.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And considering some of the ways feedback is given on these forums I would tell you to go to hell too. All info on UO.COM is being vetted to insure it is correct and I hope it is done here also. UOGuide did have disinformation on it at times and JC and others had to go in and correct it. That is the big problem with a wiki that allows anybody to add/change things.
You would be suprised how many mistakes in the UO.com wiki have been reported and how many are still unreported. It's vetted by a single person and I don't believe it's possible for a single player to be a master of all UO arts. Misinformation is not really a "big" problem and can easiely be handled by moderation. The DaoC wiki does not seem to face any issues either, despite being publically hosted at fandom.com. IMO that would also be the best solution for a unified UO wiki.

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You would be suprised how many mistakes in the UO.com wiki have been reported and how many are still unreported. It's vetted by a single person and I don't believe it's possible for a single player to be a master of all UO arts. Misinformation is not really a "big" problem and can easiely be handled by moderation. The DaoC wiki does not seem to face any issues either, despite being publically hosted at fandom.com. IMO that would also be the best solution for a unified UO wiki.
That "single person" does not do that great of a job with the accuracy of the information. o.0 GOD FORBID, you try to tell her something is wrong even in the nicest way possible. :eek: You'll get a rude, snotty reply for your trouble. :slap: Apparently she doesn't make mistakes. :facepalm:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That "single person" does not do that great of a job with the accuracy of the information. o.0 GOD FORBID, you try to tell her something is wrong even in the nicest way possible. :eek: You'll get a rude, snotty reply for your trouble. :slap: Apparently she doesn't make mistakes. :facepalm:
Reading the posts you make. I doubt you know what is correct or incorrect.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If I said either of the last two comments, I'd get a mark for trolling.
No, you wouldn't have. Both of those posts were reported and I closed both reports as no violation. Neither post attacked the other person in real life so they were not personal attacks, and neither of them were enough to be considered trolling, just an opinion on someone's posting style and a retort to it.

Your warning history is one of the more random ones though for sure, seems like you accidentally included a few words in each post that caused the warning by changing the meaning of the rest of the post, not necessarily because your posts themselves were issues.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's all good, Norry. Wasn't being 100% cereal.

Most of my warnings come from losing my intent in the contextual form. It's all good. I do have some where I was being stupid and did deserve them. Ha. I was still laughing tho.....didn't mean nothing harmful.

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bahahaha

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk
Bruv, isn't it a shame? I mean, do people really get offended that easily? Maybe they should start giving infraction points out to the people that report nonsense. That would balance the game.

To keep this back on topic, still haven't heard from Link. Guess he is alive tho.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's unfortunate. And surprising. With population being what it is, surely that ad revenue can't be much?

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Most recently I invited players to send me their favorite macros so that I could build a page of examples. My email, which I included in the invitation, [email protected] remains empty.
I will just leave that here to underline why UO needs UOGuide. She just doesn't understand that nobody is going through the hassle of arguing typos or one sentence edits with her. Still she seems to wonder. Oh lord..

The last time I got an mistake corrected it took 3 attempts. Ignoring the first two and then acting like she never heard of. Needlessly to say it wont try again.

Chap

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know the author of the UO.com official guide, many hours if not days has been spent on the work, this is unpaid work all volunteer from one individual.
I am very gratefull for the work and effort.

That being said, a solo individual can only do so and so much, its the devs/broadsword job to hire someone to work on it, but they dont.
Atleast we got a an update on uo.com, remember how it was for over a decade with EA wasnt much of a guide then.

Last edited:

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That being said, a solo individual can only do so and so much, its the devs/broadsword job to hire someone to work on it, but they don't.
It's a bit more than that. The devs want to control what is and what is not in the wiki. This is why in the current iteration, everything is going through a gate keeper, just to make sure you are playing the game the way the devs want you to.