• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UOGuide down?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's a bit more than that. The devs want to control what is and what is not in the wiki. This is why in the current iteration, everything is going through a gate keeper, just to make sure you are playing the game the way the devs want you to.
Do you really believe that BS you just typed or could it be that they want to make sure that the info is good and not a bunch of BS that I am sure you would try to put in.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
*deletes snarky post - add with something else*

UOGuide is a community effort, just as Stratics is.
UO's official wiki is dictated by Broadsword, and just as any other official game guide, does not go in-depth because the majority of the game's enjoyment is in the discovery.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

UO's official wiki is dictated by Broadsword, and just as any other official game guide, does not go in-depth because the majority of the game's enjoyment is in the discovery.

Is this the wiki or is there a better one?

It leaves a little to be desired even in the best of "the majority of the game's enjoyment is in the discovery" :)

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Is this the wiki or is there a better one?

It leaves a little to be desired even in the best of "the majority of the game's enjoyment is in the discovery" :)
I agree it is not a fun way for me since I used to buy guides before I play games. I had to read the UO guide book before I played, so I didn't make an account until October 24,97.

But, UO and most every game made back in the 90s was based on discovering things. Discovering easter eggs or cheats. We were different back then.
You could see the Ascii code and search it to find things to change and have whatever amount of gold in something like Sim City.

Mariah will add things if you are not an ass when you ask. She also will add things for the asses. She is a person like you and I, there is no need to act like you deserve something. Somehow news and information about games spread before there was an internet. We also could drive to someones house without a smart phone, and we talked to people using phones. I think Ill make a million on an app that does that. :lol:

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I disagree. Give me formulas. The enjoyment is from playing the game, not trying to figure out what math they used for something.

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I disagree. Give me formulas. The enjoyment is from playing the game, not trying to figure out what math they used for something.
Part of the magic of UO is that everyone wants and plays differently. I fall in line with you, give me the math, show me the formulas, let me use it and make a build that walks on the bones of anything in their path. But not all players are like this, that's why we have builds with herding or camping or even sampires.

Have to have a public facing guide on the official page that is welcome to all of the above.

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
The part I bolded is what we agree entirely upon and was my point.

But then, why would you want to be given the formulae? What is the fun in that? In just about every game I've ever played (and I've been gaming since 8bit on a Commodore64) any sort of guide book distributed by the publisher gave the following:
* Premise of the game (story arc)
* Controls (either with joystick, keyboard, or controllers)
* Bare-bones-basic on certain key features (mobs, toons, npc, etc.)

I do not remember seeing a formula for DukeNukem weapons. Easter eggs were published via gaming magazines and were *gasp* discovered by players. Even easter eggs in production programs (how many graphic designers found the alien in Quark Press?) were a thing of discovery.

For hardcore mathematicians who like statistics, the joy is discovering those formulae without dictation from those who created the formula. I remember the early days of Stratics, and figuring out the hit vs. crit percentage of a Vorpal Katana made so many people giggle with glee. After all, part and parcel of what made Stratics is in its name (Strategy and Statistics). If said formulae were published by the devs, what fun would that be? May as well play Farmville.

For visual consumers, it is the joy of discovering the landscape. For PvPers (and most PKers) it is finding others to fight. For role-players, it is making new friends with similar ideals.

I used "discovery" as a very wide and subjective verb in a general context.

Too many games today are walkthroughs or guided games. Even Elder Scrolls has been "dumbed down" for modern players.

Is sad.

But I digress...

I'm sure JC is working on the UOGuide's server/software. He's not disappeared...
Although users cannot log in to make additions/changes. :(

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Part of the magic of UO is that everyone wants and plays differently. I fall in line with you, give me the math, show me the formulas, let me use it and make a build that walks on the bones of anything in their path. But not all players are like this, that's why we have builds with herding or camping or even sampires.

Have to have a public facing guide on the official page that is welcome to all of the above.
And where do you all think all the formulas came from here on Stratics and UO Guides, OMG the UO DEVs gave them to them.

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
And where do you all think all the formulas came from here on Stratics and UO Guides, OMG the UO DEVs gave them to them.
Not quite true.
In the early days, they verified what players discovered.
Very different from giving which would have resulted in NDA violations and mass firings.

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Nice condescension. Really helps promote further conversation. Keep it up!

See Kirthag's response. The formulas have been posted publicly a lot longer than you realize. I will concede that some of them have been adjusted or outright provided by Devs, but the overwhelming majority have not.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you really believe that BS you just typed or could it be that they want to make sure that the info is good and not a bunch of BS that I am sure you would try to put in.
Oh, you mean they created the wiki because they wanted something better than UOGuide? Talk about failing miserably.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm glad that they shared the information, it was a neat time when those conversations happened. This all said they do have the access to all the information, far beyond what we have in our heads, and should be able to compile a better wiki than what is presented.

I think it's a bad business model to rely upon third party sites to host critical information for the subscription fee's given that this is where the income flows from. Who knows, maybe they see that the new accounts are rarely from fresh IP's and therefor things like SSI calculators, how imbuing works or how to make a pet shouldn't be freely available.

As a player wanting to come back and play the game in all it's depth asking me to sort out which runic fletching kit I want to use to make a clean 40ssi comp bow to imbue is mind boggling.

It was ash, but I need to reforge, not imbue or fletch. Just grand Artifice, Inspired - animated of haste but not powerful. Found that information here in the forum not on uoguide and far from the official site.

Thank goodness for stratics despite all the times I annoyed it or it annoyed me.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not quite true.
In the early days, they verified what players discovered.
Very different from giving which would have resulted in NDA violations and mass firings.
Yes they verified our guesses that we were close to the right idea and provided us with the real formulas but there was no way you were going to guess the exact timing of anything without having full and open access to the main operating program so please do not try to make me believe that anybody could guess with in a nano second of what was going on. What NDA violations. We signed NDAs when we did testing for future PUBs but are you trying to tell us that the DEVs were under some sort of NDA, I find that very funny considering how freely they talked here and in game.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sounds fun those stories about the 90s and Commodore 64s, I got some too. Just not sure what this has to do with 2020. But I think thats also the main problem with the official wiki. It's run like it's the 90s still.

I guess JC has more class than this, but he should take down UOguide for a week or two if Bonnie eventually brings UO to the "biggest audience". Some people seem highly desunional about how much areas of a computer game they figured out by themself.

Now someone just give me another story how he figured one game mechanic in 1997 and now wants everyone else to figure it as well. It's not the reality I expereince when gaming. Most people are exactly looking for this kind of information so they can enjoy their actual gaming experience over grinding spreadsheets.

Most people I met in UO were always craving for helpful information and never looked at it as spoiling their fun. Only a small portion is actually refusing help over doing the complete journey themself.

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
is this what yer lookin' for?
:troll:

But on a more serious note, I am looking for a community run wiki hosted on platform that has proven somewhat reliable. Once the current editor resigns (she has become bitter with literally any UO community not doing as she pleases), I am looking forward to Bonnie herself keeping it up. Not like the sole current editor cried about all others having left and she the only one doing all the work :D Plus it's not even true, she just does not credit the people providing information to her.

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@kelmo I'm not sure if you are either trolling or just never played anything other than UO. At leastwe don't have to be scared here that a single troll will render the discussion locked :)

This thread on the official forum might give you some insight into what we other players are actually talking about: Search tip for the uo.com player wiki. It's basically going into the same direction. Maybe it helps seeing you the actual point of this discussion my friend :)

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@petemage those tips on searching the wiki were added after someone in our alliance (the one Petra is in) pointed out how difficult it was to find anything if you didn't know exactly what you were looking for, which new and returning players often don't. It seems that some people find it harder to use than others, I don't use it myself as I found it a bit too fickle.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@petemage those tips on searching the wiki were added after someone in our alliance (the one Petra is in) pointed out how difficult it was to find anything if you didn't know exactly what you were looking for, which new and returning players often don't. It seems that some people find it harder to use than others, I don't use it myself as I found it a bit too fickle.
One thing that is great about UOGuide is abundance of hyperlinks. So specific organization does not matter too much. If you find something related, there is probably a link to what you need.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My biggest gripe with that post is that if there's going to be an "official wiki," I shouldn't need to read the forums for how to use it. Call me lazy, but I like my information quick and easy. Blame the millennial on me.
I believe they hired the lowest bidder web designer to make the forum and the wiki for them. The money for that project is spent and we have what we have for the foreseeable future. Look at the forum UI. It's just as stone age as the wiki. Basic functionality such as being able to tell which page of the thread you are on is missing. Forum feedback sub serves no constructive purpose, etc. So I suspect, the official wiki is destined to be like armor refinement - it's there, they spent resources on it, they did not think it through, hardly anyone uses it.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Was talking about hot guild site. But that appeared to be on death bed a few months ago alot of errors

JohnnyO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Looks like it's still down. Is it working for anyone?

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Page had a lot of errors and its been about 4 days

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think UO.com has been down all day also. Cant buy things from the stores either. Players wanted the potion for Deceit today.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Just bought the potion 5 minutes ago without issue.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was able to buy from the store over a hour ago