• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Scheduled Maintenance 7/13/10 – All Shards

T

Toolbox2010Leg

if you're on global chat on TC (since that one shard works, and none of the others do), who could you possibly be? All I'm following is the rantings and ravings of a few prepubescent teens...
well im not on now but i was on long enough to see the rants of that kid chaos and a couple others complaining about the longest six hours.... i was on neighbor

S

Stewpid

well im not on now but i was on long enough to see the rants of that kid chaos and a couple others complaining about the longest six hours.... i was on neighbor
lol... Yeah, followed that too. Longest 6 hour downtime in a while... I'm thinking more like 12-18, but who knows with the communication we've been getting...

T

Toolbox2010Leg

lol... Yeah, followed that too. Longest 6 hour downtime in a while... I'm thinking more like 12-18, but who knows with the communication we've been getting...[/QUOTE

lol really...... but from the herald, im assuming they are done and just testing now... so hopefully they will be back up soon

Update 7/13/10 - 10:10PM EST: We continue to run tests to ensure the update deployed properly to all systems. There remains no ETA and we will update again at 11:00PM EDT or when new information is available, thank you.

Exgirlfriend

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As long as i dont log in and discover im in Order again running around server hoping in buc's den I dont mind waiting...but then again Order/Chaos was alot of fun! How about reverting that system wile your at it?

T

Toolbox2010Leg

As long as i dont log in and discover im in Order again running around server hoping in buc's den I dont mind waiting...but then again Order/Chaos was alot of fun! How about reverting that system wile your at it?
that would be nice

J

James_Mythic

To clear up confusion I'm on the community team - we handle broader messaging and customer feedback.

That said - I do apologize if anyone was irked by my post, that wasn't my intention. We absolutely do take these matters seriously, and realize that for many of you its primetime and you simply want to play tonight.

This is why we provide updates regularly and post additional information when we can. If you prefer I can post simply that I have no additional information at this time, or not at all besides on the Herald - Personally I'd rather crack some nerdy jokes and hang out with you guys a bit.

Speaking of which, I'm watching Ong Bak 2 right now...its pretty awesome.

I'll brb, time to update das Herald :)

S

Stewpid

Update 7/13/10 - 10:10PM EST: We continue to run tests to ensure the update deployed properly to all systems. There remains no ETA and we will update again at 11:00PM EDT or when new information is available, thank you.
If they can make the 11pm time, they would miss their padded 6 hour downtime estimate only by 3 hours. I seriously doubt that!!!

C

Cal_Mythic

We are currently testing character transfers between live shards. It looks good so far.

We are again testing house placement.

As shards come live we will continue to monitor status.

T

Toolbox2010Leg

We are currently testing character transfers between live shards. It looks good so far.

Thanks to you AND James

S

Stewpid

I'm watching Ong Bak 2 right now...its pretty awesome.
Did you just start watching it or have you been for some time. It's an almost 2 hour long movie, and I'm sure you wouldn't have started it if you wouldn't be able to finish it tonight....... Gives us "payers" some time frame to look forward to....

G

gjohnson5

Re: [UO Herald] Scheduled Maintenance 7/13/10 - All Shards

Those databases have their own servers, and in this case the software is developed by Oracle. As with anything the software for databases improves with new versions, and takes advantage of the features newer hardware has to offer, and hopefully becomes faster, and more stable - bugs are fixed, etc.

So while upgrades for the databases for MMO's don't happen often, at some point it becomes a very good thing to do, and that is what is happening now. The database server and client software is being updated to newer (newest?) versions. And because database server software, and the databases themselves, are so complex, and crucial to the functioning of the game servers, upgrading them is an extremely complex task involving a lot of planning and preparation.
Oracle DBA here and I want to know what version of Oracle RDBMS they were using and what they were upgrading to.

Secondly in terms of schema complexity I would be curious if how much ORACLE ultima online uses? If the Schema and the data structures aren't using the more complex features of Oracle, the main reason for upgrading would be continued TAR / Oracle Support. The functionality of the database can vary greatly with updates. Many older features are infact desupported in updates. In some cases unexpected results can happen if ones are not looking EXACTLY at what is being upgraded and how the functionality of the data structures changes via updates. In many cases its better to just leave the database alone.....

Upgrading Oracle has nothing to do with Hardware. That's the OS and the hardware compatibility the OS provides the hardware. However Oracle Owns SUN , so SUNOS would provide hardware support for SUN based OS's
Anyway the database will make a application level request and the OS will decide how that request will be handled on the OS / device driver level

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i got 4 kicker solobaric l7 15s in a custom ported box tuned to about 36 htz with 4 kicker zx2500 amps, 2 200 amp alternators 2 kinetic 1800 batteries, 50 farad soundstream cap, 7 inch no name in dash dvd player, and fosgate prime door speakers with 2 sets of fosgate prime tweets, one set in the front doors the other directly below my radio so i can actually hear the music haha... truck is also supercharged with nos, lambo doors, and some custom lighting, and is for sale with everything but the motor/supercharger/nos setup (ill put stock 4.6 back in) for 5500.00
Wow, I don't need to go deaf in such a speedy fashion as yourself:)

I'm running "vintage" PPI Amps PC2100 for the front stage and a PC4100 for sub and a PPI 2 channel electric cross from the same series. Took me 2 years to find a bridge plate for the amps as they were made in 1998 and the plates are rarer than near anything.
Polk Audio SR6500 for fronts housed in custom made kick panels and 1 Polk SR124 for the sub. Custom made AlumaPro 5 farad plate which was bench tested at the factory producing 7.5 Farads. Older Pioneer dvd screen with Satnav and sirius(not using the internal cross as the PPI is of much better quality).

Rest of the car is stock, trunk is fully finished with push/pull venting, neon etc.

T

Toolbox2010Leg

Wow, I don't need to go deaf in such a speedy fashion as yourself:)

I'm running "vintage" PPI Amps PC2100 for the front stage and a PC4100 for sub and a PPI 2 channel electric cross from the same series. Took me 2 years to find a bridge plate for the amps as they were made in 1998 and the plates are rarer than near anything.
Polk Audio SR6500 for fronts housed in custom made kick panels and 1 Polk SR124 for the sub. Custom made AlumaPro 5 farad plate which was bench tested at the factory producing 7.5 Farads. Older Pioneer dvd screen with Satnav and sirius(not using the internal cross as the PPI is of much better quality).

Rest of the car is stock, trunk is fully finished with push/pull venting, neon etc.
nice.... have you put it on an SPL meter yet?

T

Toolbox2010Leg

well crap.... kids are in bed now.... i cleaned the whole house and garage, built the speakerbox, washed the truck, and the muddy driveway after lol.... now im gonna stare at the wall for a bit i guess lol

S

Stewpid

Ummm...
Thanks for not telling the engineers to stop working on getting everything up and running just to tell stratics what exactly the delays are in engineer jargin that probably half here would understand.
Perhaps you are dumbing down the stratics community. They may actually know more than more think...

Oracle DBA here and I want to know what version of Oracle RDBMS they were using and what they were upgrading to.

Secondly in terms of schema complexity I would be curious if how much ORACLE ultima online uses? If the Schema and the data structures aren't using the more complex features of Oracle, the main reason for upgrading would be continued TAR / Oracle Support. The functionality of the database can vary greatly with updates. Many older features are infact desupported in updates. In some cases unexpected results can happen if ones are not looking EXACTLY at what is being upgraded and how the functionality of the data structures changes via updates. In many cases its better to just leave the database alone.....

Upgrading Oracle has nothing to do with Hardware. That's the OS and the hardware compatibility the OS provides the hardware. However Oracle Owns SUN , so SUNOS would provide hardware support for SUN based OS's
Anyway the database will make a application level request and the OS will decide how that request will be handled on the OS / device driver level
I'm sure there are others who know the this technology well too, perhaps able to give a few pointers to the "experts" doing the upgrade? And maybe give us "laymen" some kind of time frame, like "what they are trying to do takes at least 24 hours to accomplish, no matter what their proficiency"...

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator

No rush! Take your time! You should see all the news I am getting done *Hears loud screaming* Utoh!!! "An Lor Xen"

M

mjolnir131

James ty for all the updates and hard work you too Cal, but just making sure you two understand that the EC is still offline when trying to connect to UO

J

James_Mythic

Hey all,

Its diffuclt for the team to provide an ETA right now as its a matter of debugging and waiting for tests to finish. Its important we dot the I's and cross the T's but if an unforseen issue arises that could add additional time.

I updated the Herald at 11:20, in anycase we should have additional info soon.

As always your continued patience is appreciated while we complete this upgrade.

S

Stewpid

James ty for all the updates and hard work you too Cal, but just making sure you two understand that the EC is still offline when trying to connect to UO
I'm guessing they forgot about the EC, and were going to turn the servers on when some player noticed the problem. They then went into "OH SH*T" mode, and have to start from square one.....

T

Toolbox2010Leg

At least an hour left on your movie, think you'll be able to finish it while at "work"?
in James defense, he did say this....

To clear up confusion I'm on the community team - we handle broader messaging and customer feedback.

Movies are fine by me as long as he isnt on the DEV team lol

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is why we provide updates regularly and post additional information when we can. If you prefer I can post simply that I have no additional information at this time, or not at all besides on the Herald - Personally I'd rather crack some nerdy jokes and hang out with you guys a bit.
The time to crack jokes is when the servers are not down. When there is a problem and (this most importantly) you are going to fix it just update us.

I can speak for many when I say we would love to for you to hang out and crack jokes with us. Why not do it when nothing is going on?

So let's keep it all business when there are issues at hand and we'll see if you come back around when this is over. I don't recall seeing many of you Mythic guys when there is nothing to smooth over(or cause worse.) Change that.

J

James_Mythic

At least an hour left on your movie, think you'll be able to finish it while at "work"?
Heh, I had it on pause for a while actually. The nice thing about Netflix is that even if I don't finish it now, I can always start up where I left off later :p

I'm able to do these sorts of updates from home fortunately, so when I say "watch" its really more background entertainment while I focus on the maintenance :)

I have no idea whats going on right now in the movie, I'm not even sure if this movie has Dialog tbh, haha.

S

Stewpid

in James defense, he did say this....

Movies are fine by me as long as he isnt on the DEV team lol
Sorry, this is just a lame attempt by me to get some sort of absolutely rough estimate of when they may get the screw up fixed. It's either:

1. We see the problem, and if that's it, should be less than an hour.

2. It's bigger than we thought, but should be less then 4-5 hours more.

3. We really have no clue, but if we hit the right buttons in the right sequence, it may be up day after tomorrow.

Any of those very vague responses would work for me now....

edit: Being forced to watch the entire all star game should not only entitle us to some monetary compensation, but perhaps some criminal charges for cruel and unusual punishment... /sarcasm...

T

Toolbox2010Leg

Sorry, this is just a lame attempt by me to get some sort of absolutely rough estimate of when they may get the screw up fixed. It's either:

1. We see the problem, and if that's it, should be less than an hour.

2. It's bigger than we thought, but should be less then 4-5 hours more.

3. We really have no clue, but if we hit the right buttons in the right sequence, it may be up day after tomorrow.

Any of those very vague responses would work for me now....
ORRRRRR>......
we just graduated from devry and are still learning..... give us a week or three.....
jk, i hope

M

MariamATL

ORRRRRR>......
we just graduated from devry and are still learning..... give us a week or three.....
jk, i hope
Did you post all 49 of your posts on this topic tonight???? You really need to step away from the keyboard. Go enjoy those kiddos - they grow up fast.

G

gjohnson5

Ummm...

Perhaps you are dumbing down the stratics community. They may actually know more than more think...

I'm sure there are others who know the this technology well too, perhaps able to give a few pointers to the "experts" doing the upgrade? And maybe give us "laymen" some kind of time frame, like "what they are trying to do takes at least 24 hours to accomplish, no matter what their proficiency"...
I'm crossing my thumbs. Hopefully the game comes up just fine. This stuff I'm reading about testing is worrisome. I would think that a separate database, login and shard server could have been setup with the application and database changes so that all of this could have been tested days / weeks ago. Hopefully the entire system wasn't upgraded and then separately tested after the fact.... That ALWAYS leads to unforeseen complications in the middle of an upgrade and then computer people who may not necessarily have the expertise may have to just fix stuff. Alot of times a small budget hurts your ability to plan. Hopefully that isn't/wasn't the case

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Just wanting the record to show:

Yesterday, 07:47 PM #4
Dermott of LS
Crazed Zealot

Default Re: [UO Herald] Scheduled Maintenance 7/13/10 – All Shards

Everyone get your "backup" gaming scheduled for tomorrow!

I told you so :)

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

That said - I do apologize if anyone was irked by my post, that wasn't my intention. We absolutely do take these matters seriously, and realize that for many of you its primetime and you simply want to play tonight.

Speaking of which, I'm watching Ong Bak 2 right now...its pretty awesome.

I'll brb, time to update das Herald :)
As the person to whom your needless snark was directed, I might respond sometime after things are back.

-Galen's player

T

Toolbox2010Leg

Did you post all 49 of your posts on this topic tonight???? You really need to step away from the keyboard. Go enjoy those kiddos - they grow up fast.
lol my kids helped me do everything i did today... not hard to stop off at the keyboard every now and then... and they are in bed..... thanks for the parental advice though..... i never thought of that!

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

To be fair Galen, we DID have warning and they are providing updates. Better to have spent this (soon to be past) evening engaged in a different activity (another game, movie, house work, etc etc etc) and give them time to get this migration done CORRECTLY instead of rushing it and logging into a gameplay and customer service NIGHTMARE.

EDIT: And of course the shards came up while I was posting this :p