• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Scheduled Maintenance 7/13/10 – All Shards

S

Stewpid

Right now Net Engineering is looking into the status of the "Warehouse" the server managing character housing data.

At this time we are checking the status in the dev environment before deploying to production.

Translated: We are testing the fix on our side before making the system live.

Sorry, for the delay guys. We have had a few years of data to backup and validate.

I'll keep you updated.

- c
Glad some news, better than the stupid jokes. Any approximate times? Can be vague, less than an hour, between 1-4 hours, greater than 4 hours? Just curious, and your best guess is fine too... :)

T

Toolbox2010Leg

You're flipping out over one night of not being able to play? Dude, you pay $13 a month for access, so you've lost 39 cent of playtime. Actually, it's not even been a full day, more like a third of a day, so you've lost 13 cent. Someone credit that man his 13 cent immediately. Perhaps he can use it as a down payment on buying himself a life.

3 deployments to iraq, 2 purple hearts, bullet to the shoulder, shrapnel to the abdomen back and neck, and now on terminal leave from surgery... and staying in the military.... yea i got no life right now, fool.... it doesnt matter about the 13 cents at all, it matters that i pay for this and when someone who represents the company makes a joke out of it, i dont find it funny....

C

Cal_Mythic

Thanks for the update and from a paranoid data technician THANK YOU for taking your time, backing up and validating the data!
As an English Major with a Bachelor of Science in Engineering ... and a Java Developer when it was JRE 1.31 ...

Always have a plan "D" ... :)

Thanks for your patience everyone ..

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
3 deployments to iraq, 2 purple hearts, bullet to the shoulder, shrapnel to the abdomen back and neck, and now on terminal leave from surgery... and staying in the military.... yea i got no life right now, fool.... it doesnt matter about the 13 cents at all, it matters that i pay for this and when someone who represents the company makes a joke out of it, i dont find it funny....
Can't take a joke? Then take a break instead. Updates to the core system are a part of every online game. And with core system work delays can be a part of it. Get use to it.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As an English Major with a Bachelor of Science in Engineering ... and a Java Developer when it was JRE 1.31 ...

Always have a plan "D" ... :)

Thanks for your patience everyone ..
I'm dropping in a new san environment, sql database, and some other equipment this weekend. Hopefully we don't have issues!

T

Toolbox2010Leg

Can't take a joke? Then take a break instead. Updates to the core system are a part of every online game. And with core system work delays can be a part of it. Get use to it.
one thing ive learned over the years, especially since we dont make a whole lot.... i dont joke with money, every cent lost is a cent that could have been invested in something else.... and since i learned that, i havent once lived paycheck to paycheck like i used to

Z

Zyon Rockler

Hey, I can't log into UO. Anyone else having this problem?

I really enjoyed the pics of UO Oddesy X. It looks like they sold it and it became WoW. I'm glad we didn't end up in a leveling system but with those kind of graphics, I would switch to a new version of UO if it was done right. It would be neat to transfer into a world like that. I saw Medussa, The Fire Daemons in those pics. Seems like alot of the concepts are being filtered in, just none of the graphics or world changes.

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We've got an Exchange 2010 Migration coming up...

Hopefully it goes better than our last Migration which went like this:

Sendmail --> Lotus Notes --> Sendmail --> Exchange 2003.

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a war veteran myself, what the heck does military service have to do with UO?

T

Toolbox2010Leg

Hey, I can't log into UO. Anyone else having this problem?

I really enjoyed the pics of UO Oddesy X. It looks like they sold it and it became WoW. I'm glad we didn't end up in a leveling system but with those kind of graphics, I would switch to a new version of UO if it was done right. It would be neat to transfer into a world like that. I saw Medussa, The Fire Daemons in those pics. Seems like alot of the concepts are being filtered in, just none of the graphics or world changes.
cant even get to server screen? it did that to me earlier for a while too, but the servers are all down except for test, they are doing the maint. on them....hopefully they will be up soon(ish)

T

Toolbox2010Leg

As a war veteran myself, what the heck does military service have to do with UO?
nothing except why i have the time to actually sit here and play... he said i had no life, i agreed with explanation

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

we are going through our current migration to new equipment because we had a data center over heat over a weekend last summer when air units failed. our environment monitoring didn't alert properly, and the data center baked for 3 days in 100+ heat outside, and the room had to be 140+. I started wlaking up the stairs of the old building and felt the heat and just knew what had to have happened. We pulled all of our servers out on a sunday when a doctor called and said they couldn't remote in, and we found we couldn't get to anything. Had to wear a pair of mechanics gloves to pull them out of the racks because they were searing hot to the touch (my arm learned it quick), and the cat5 cables were so flimsy u could stretch them.

We managed, amazingly, to only have minor damage (only one server had a cooked mb, another a power supply, all under 6 hour hp warranty), but we have noticed the service has degraded quickly so we are getting $200,000+ out of the insurance for the equipment and just revamping and retooling our organization in the process. =/ I dunno whats worse, fixing a cooked data center, or rebuilding a new one over a weekend smoothly lol.

Could be as bad as a few weeks ago, we had terrible storms, the whole bldg is on generator/ups power but jsut to be safe we went in on a friday night and took it down for the weekend. Came abck on sunday only to find out a terminal server wouldnt boot back up, turn around, and find out the warranty on the stupid thing expired 3 days prior and the email about it was in my junk mail lol.

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

we are going through our current migration to new equipment because we had a data center over heat over a weekend last summer, our environment monitoring didn't alert properly, and the data center baked for 3 days in 110+ heat. We pulled all of our servers out on a sunday when a doctor called and said they couldn't remote in, and we found we couldn't get to anything. Had to wear a pair of mechanics gloves to pull them out of the racks ebcause they were searing hot to the touch, and the cat5 cables were so flimsy u could stretch them.

We managed, amazingly, to only have minor damage, but we have noticed the service has degraded quickly so we are getting $200,000+ out of the insurance for the equipment and just revamping and retooling our organization in the process. =/ I dunno whats worse, fixing a cooked data center, or rebuilding a new one over a weekend smoothly lol.
Very nice they paid out!!!

Cooling has been a big issue for us because the person who built our data center initially was not qualified so its been a constant battle. We've replaced two AC units so far but I think we finally have an adequate solution in place with some custom venting and higher rated units. Time will tell but those days sucked when we took shifts staying with the IT room to adjust fans/portable AC units, had to keep the doors open, etc. Ugh...

We were fortunately able to keep the temps low enough to prevent damage though. If we had ever walked in on that...

People just don't understand how hot a few racks of servers really get.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Cooling has been a big issue for us because the person who built our data center initially was not qualified so its been a constant battle. We've replaced two AC units so far but I think we finally have an adequate solution in place with some custom venting and higher rated units. Time will tell but those days sucked when we took shifts staying with the IT room to adjust fans/portable AC units, had to keep the doors open, etc. Ugh...

We were fortunately able to keep the temps low enough to prevent damage though. If we had ever walked in on that...

we now have our main giant data center in our new building, and a smaller one in a satellite office a mile down the road. The smaller one holds our cisco phone system and a few older servers still in use, and that room has the old air unit that was speced out for that old data center (same problem, unqualified power/heat/hvac ppl taking care of that room) and we have had a constant battle with this room again (the building is very old and is very just pieced together) the stupid air unit has a leak soemwhere and constantly is freezing up, and after this project (and after i relearn damn netbackup for our new backups for this new system, ugh) we are going to try to stabilize that room lol

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

yea no kidding omg, i wasnt thinking when i grabbed the first server by the plastic, slid it out, and put my arms on it to lift it. My arm learned real quick how a cow feels with branding.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's so sad for those who have no life. Fortunately for me I have a meeting to go to now so won't be going online to play UO as per my routine. [dramaqueen mode] OMG WHAT IF IT'S NOT BACK ONLINE BY THE TIME I'M DONE!!!!![/dramaqueen mode] rolleyes:

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nothing except why i have the time to actually sit here and play... he said i had no life, i agreed with explanation
Well he is wrong on that part. If I was young enough I would of reenlisted. The economy is crap right now with unemployment up to 45% from 2005.

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
we now have our main giant data center in our new building, and a smaller one in a satellite office a mile down the road. The smaller one holds our cisco phone system and a few older servers still in use, and that room has the old air unit that was speced out for that old data center (same problem, unqualified power/heat/hvac ppl taking care of that room) and we have had a constant battle with this room again (the building is very old and is very just pieced together) the stupid air unit has a leak soemwhere and constantly is freezing up, and after this project (and after i relearn damn netbackup for our new backups for this new system, ugh) we are going to try to stabilize that room lol
Its freaking annoying when you take the cover off those things and they are nothing but a block of ice....

And the only way to fix it is thaw it out. Isn't it so much fun using a blow dryer on your AC unit?

What version of NetBackup do you guys run? 7.0? We use Backup Exec but I need to investigate a new solution for our Exchange 2010 implementation as the Backup Server itself has to be x64. Ack crap I am really going OT on this thread, I'll stop now...

J

[JD]

Don't know about the rest of y'all, but it's beer-thirty here in San Diego

Z

Zyon Rockler

Well if it never comes back up, we still have Stratics and each other.

No, after password it just says you can not connect. Can't wait til they get this server up so we can log in and see if anything is different.

But as a vet, this kinda stuff really doesn't bother me. It actually makes you feel good, kinda like loading a new program and waiting to see what it does. Hopefully, it will be less lag at events or something like that.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Its freaking annoying when you take the cover off those things and they are nothing but a block of ice....

And the only way to fix it is thaw it out. Isn't it so much fun using a blow dryer on your AC unit?

What version of NetBackup do you guys run? 7.0? We use Backup Exec but I need to investigate a new solution for our Exchange 2010 implementation as the Backup Server itself has to be x64. Ack crap I am really going OT on this thread, I'll stop now...
nah we still have 6.0 and don't want to upgrade right now =(. well i do, but the financial guys don't lol. I'd run backup exec in a heart beat, and if we upgrade our backups down the road i will switch. At the time, backup exec didn't support multiplexing so we could run concurrent backups, whereas netbackup did. sucks =/ and yea, same problem with our unit in that room rofl, we have a boxfan on a chair pointing up, with a space heater behind it for those weekly situations lol.

T

Toolbox2010Leg

Well if it never comes back up, we still have Stratics and each other.

No, after password it just says you can not connect. Can't wait til they get this server up so we can log in and see if anything is different.

But as a vet, this kinda stuff really doesn't bother me. It actually makes you feel good, kinda like loading a new program and waiting to see what it does. Hopefully, it will be less lag at events or something like that.
Thats what it was doing to me earlier, but not now, maybe a locality thing??? It doesnt bug me as much as it used to, im glad to see they are doing something about it, it just irks me when the CSR makes jokes about it lol.... then i speak my mind and people start a big Kerfufle out of it

Jandruz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i love how they can make jokes out of taking our money and giving us nothing but "were workin on it"
i say a discounted month of game time.... or something worth us paying for nothing..... i know with my utilities at home that i also pay for, if im unhappy or my service goes down, they give me a credit of some sort, just sayin.... i guess all we can expect is jokes......
LOL, seriously? Yeah, we should all get a discount on a month of game time because they are working hard to make the game better for us. :lol:

T

Toolbox2010Leg

LOL, seriously? Yeah, we should all get a discount on a month of game time because they are working hard to make the game better for us. :lol:
lol thats a little extreme..... i was just making a point.... but on that note, a friend of mine on legends had a problem where she couldnt log into 2 of her chars and they gave her like 18 months free gametime..... just sayin....

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't do anything special in game that you want saved when it's back up. You can guarantee everything won't go exactly as planned. I'd just be cautious of a revert for the next 2 or 3 days.

T

Toolbox2010Leg

but i do know one that is super hot! Too bad she is married lol.... just sayin.....

T

Toolbox2010Leg

Don't do anything special in game that you want saved when it's back up. You can guarantee everything won't go exactly as planned. I'd just be cautious of a revert for the next 2 or 3 days.
yah ive experienced that before lol.... but a revert has saved me from being that bright red color a time or two as well lol

Saint of Killers

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm...I wonder how many times I'm going to be dragged back into trashy SL on Atlantic then, since my faction term is up with them in 5 hours.

ps: and stop picking on Ani's looks Cetric!

T

Toolbox2010Leg

whoever said i was bad needs to get on global chat on test lol

P

Pandora of Baja

*paces the floor a few more times* it's like waiting for ea to give birth to our game.

T

Toolbox2010Leg

I SEE THE LIGHT

"from herald"
Update 7/13/10 - 10:10PM EST: We continue to run tests to ensure the update deployed properly to all systems. There remains no ETA and we will update again at 11:00PM EDT or when new information is available, thank you.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats what it was doing to me earlier, but not now, maybe a locality thing??? It doesnt bug me as much as it used to, im glad to see they are doing something about it, it just irks me when the CSR makes jokes about it lol.... then i speak my mind and people start a big Kerfufle out of it
Um, CSR doesn't post on stratics. The people you're complaining about because they made a couple jokes are the developers, not CSR.

T

Toolbox2010Leg

Um, CSR doesn't post on stratics. The people you're whining about because they made a couple jokes are the developers, not CSR.
so what your saying then is the devs do not work for mythic and do not represent the company and do not work to make the game better (customer service).... is this correct?

kulder

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought and I may be wrong that James was with customer relations

S

Stewpid

Um, CSR doesn't post on stratics. The people you're complaining about because they made a couple jokes are the developers, not CSR.
So it wasn't the peon CSR's that were making a joke to us about not being able to play, it was the more important developers that were doing it. That makes me feel a whole lot better........ :coco:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My brain was telling me "hey, pick up NCAA Football 2011 on your way home"

My wallet was saying "GO HOME, AND WHILE UR AT IT, MOW THE GRASS"

godamnit, i should have listened to you brain =(

S

Stewpid

whoever said i was bad needs to get on global chat on test lol
if you're on global chat on TC (since that one shard works, and none of the others do), who could you possibly be? All I'm following is the rantings and ravings of a few prepubescent teens...