• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Scheduled Maintenance 7/13/10 – All Shards

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
welp i did catch the house it fell sooner then the time slot sooooo and i did get some nice stuff and tons of junk to inbue to residu!! nice cal thank you for the update as for those mags .. in the trash for you too there mister cant have the kiddies seeing them... trolls indeed!!

S

Sergul'zan_SP

Re: [UO Herald] Scheduled Maintenance 7/13/10 - All Shards

James, everyone who knows something about databases is aware that such an update (especially after such a long time) will be an improvement and even a necessity. I am very happy and relieved to see this happening, because:

• It means you still consider UO important enough to make a massive technology update.
  • A new database will improve many things, like better performance and faster queries and analysis. I can imagine that this will positively affect many aspects of the game, maybe even the anti-cheating measures.

Thanks for the heads up! Keep going! And ignore the inevitable doomsayers. :)
I'll drink to that!!!

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
welp i did catch the house it fell sooner then the time slot sooooo and i did get some nice stuff and tons of junk to inbue to residu!! nice cal thank you for the update as for those mags .. in the trash for you too there mister cant have the kiddies seeing them... trolls indeed!!
See, you totally confused me there. I thought you meant you logged in just now and were able to do some idoc ravaging... And as a consequence I posted a Mayday... and well it just didn't look good... :stretcher:

S

Stewpid

As a policy we pad our estimates because as many of you vets are aware, things don't always go as planned, but most of the time they do!

Beginning Tuesday, July 13th at 2:00PM EDT all shards will be brought offline for updates to the current database system. Due to the complexities of this maintenance we anticipate services will be back online by 8:00PM EDT.
More...

So how much time was "padded" into this upgrade?

B

Beastmaster

While it probably doesn't, database conversions and updates could very well facilitate anti-cheat code. They could add several things to the database format to help them store more information as well as writing queries that will collect more information than past ones have.

Everyone: UO is now based on Excel spreadsheets!!
Time to dust off all my fancy time/date VBA macros.

T

Tribute House

Great, just got home from work and yes I new this was gonna happen. Now it looks like I am gonna have to do some dishes and maybe even some laundry. Ooh I hate doin laundry, means I have to go in the basement.......... and we all know what hides in the basement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hahahaha! *gives a sidelong look at the basement door and shudders*

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Been an update and a delay:

Update 7/13/10 - 8:00PM EST: We are working to resolve a remaining part of the maintenance, we are currently unable to provide an ETA at this time. The Herald will be updated each hour until shards are back online or we can provide an ETA, please stay tuned and thank you for your continued cooperation.

J

James_Mythic

Hey all,

Updated the Herald, we encountered delays in bringing one of the systems online and are continuing to work to get the shards back online as soon as possible; however, due to the delay we are unable to provide a new ETA at this time. I will be updating the Herald each hour until the Shards are online or we can provide a new ETA.

Thank you all for your continued cooperation and patience! (insert ancient saying about mice and men or something...:grouphug:)

Orgional Farimir

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey all,

Updated the Herald, we encountered delays in bringing one of the systems online and are continuing to work to get the shards back online as soon as possible; however, due to the delay we are unable to provide a new ETA at this time. I will be updating the Herald each hour until the Shards are online or we can provide a new ETA.

Thank you all for your continued cooperation and patience! (insert ancient saying about mice and men or something...:grouphug:)
*cracks open another beer and starts watching yet another recorded episode of Sparticus*

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
six hours later ...

TC1 78 ms 0%

78 ms to TC ? WOT !

upgrade bah ! lateralgrade i say ! :stretcher:

*restless native*

C

ChReuter

Hey all,

The least you guys could do is give us some type of update!

Oh wait....

I'm from the UO old school and while it's true that just like back than the ETA has come and gone, I must say I'm impressed with the quick update... Something that would have been lacking ten or more years ago.

O

Old Man of UO

Hey all,

We are all anxious, but it's better to get this right than to hurry it. Remember when KR went "live"?

V

Victoria Navarre

Hey all,

*holds Stratics hostage with looped Loituma until we get the servers back*

http://dagobah.biz/flash/loituma.swf

C

canary

8pm huh?

I say we all start taking bets on the REAL time it comes back up, LOL.

Personally, it would have been nice if they did it during typical 'office hours'... 9a-5p kinda thing. Seems there are less players on during that time, imo.
Well I called that one. Not that it was rocket science to know they'd miss their window.

V

Victoria Navarre

Well I called that one. Not that it was rocket science to know they'd miss their window.
It is better to take longer to get it right than to rush and do it wrong.Remember the release of AoS?

C

canary

It is better to take longer to get it right than to rush and do it wrong.Remember the release of AoS?
Not saying I want them to get it wrong, just saying that I've never seen them ever make a deadline (at least with it being decently done).

B

Budwieser

Not saying I want them to get it wrong, just saying that I've never seen them ever make a deadline (at least with it being decently done).
They never do. Gets old when EA screws up the same problems.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry to blow your mind Liewen didnt mean to.

As for :
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Mythic
Hey all,

Thank you all for your continued cooperation and patience! (insert ancient saying about mice and men or something...)

As I remember the old days, when uo went down we got sent to another shard... tc1 qualifys so go play that, cause I can guarantee you uo will be down way longer then reported. If history is anything to go by. We will be waiting a while.

T

Toolbox2010Leg

Yawns... already cleaned the garage and built the new speakerbox for my kicker expedition.... what to do now? i was hoping it would take longer cause I know that in order to not be bored, I have to plan myself out for twice as long as they say the downtime is going to be.....
Neighbor- Chessy
Shifty- Legends
Toolbox- Everywhere

T

Toolbox2010Leg

i love how they thank us after the updates.... i mean, its nice to have them so we know we are still $%^&*( out of the money we pay for a game we are unable to play.... but still, thank you??? for what??? do this kind of thing late night or early morning, not during prime times..... we pay for this game, which means they pay the devs and such, so put them on a night time schedule... too much to ask for?

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey all,

You should tell us more detail about what's going on.

Why? Because if you do not, we will start to speculate.

8 times out of 10, what we imagine will be a lot worse than the reality.

-Galen's player

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
built the new speakerbox for my kicker expedition.... what to do now?
You could describe the system.....what are you running?

I built a system 2 years back in a attempt to relive my youth....hurts my ears now that I'm in my mid thirties....but it kicks ass:)

J

James_Mythic

You should tell us more detail about what's going on.

Why? Because if you do not, we will start to speculate.

8 times out of 10, what we imagine will be a lot worse than the reality.

-Galen's player
Would you prefer they spend 10-15 minutes explaining it to me, or working on getting you back in game?

What I do know:
- There are no flames or pyrotechnics involved
- Obi-Wan Kenobi is not our only hope
- The hamster wheel required WD40 as it had a slight squeak
- I am the Walrus, Koo Koo Ka Choo.

:gee:

(Of course I'm kidding, but I hope you understand that while it'd be inefficient to divulge everything, we will update you with pertinent information as soon as its available :))

Once I have more info to share, it will be shared, I'm not going anywhere until you're all playing (sorry, you're stuck with me)

Cheers,

T

Toolbox2010Leg

i got 4 kicker solobaric l7 15s in a custom ported box tuned to about 36 htz with 4 kicker zx2500 amps, 2 200 amp alternators 2 kinetic 1800 batteries, 50 farad soundstream cap, 7 inch no name in dash dvd player, and fosgate prime door speakers with 2 sets of fosgate prime tweets, one set in the front doors the other directly below my radio so i can actually hear the music haha... truck is also supercharged with nos, lambo doors, and some custom lighting, and is for sale with everything but the motor/supercharger/nos setup (ill put stock 4.6 back in) for 5500.00

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Thanks James. Let the techies do their job.

T

Toolbox2010Leg

Would you prefer they spend 10-15 minutes explaining it to me, or working on getting you back in game?

What I do know:
- There are no flames or pyrotechnics involved
- Obi-Wan Kenobi is not our only hope
- The hamster wheel required WD40 as it had a slight squeak
- I am the Walrus, Koo Koo Ka Choo.

Once I have more info to share, it will be shared, I'm not going anywhere until you're all playing (sorry, you're stuck with me)

Cheers,
i love how they can make jokes out of taking our money and giving us nothing but "were workin on it"
i say a discounted month of game time.... or something worth us paying for nothing..... i know with my utilities at home that i also pay for, if im unhappy or my service goes down, they give me a credit of some sort, just sayin.... i guess all we can expect is jokes......

T

Tazar

Thanks for the updates James.

I hope one of the following happens:

1.) The Servers come up soon.

2.) You all get paid lots of time and a half. :p

Thanks for sticking with us.

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"i love how they can make jokes out of taking our money and giving us nothing but "were workin on it"
i say a discounted month of game time.... or something worth us paying for nothing..... i know with my utilities at home that i also pay for, if im unhappy or my service goes down, they give me a credit of some sort, just sayin.... i guess all we can expect is jokes......"

Calm the frick down there son...they will get it going as soon as they have it right.

**Latest News** They lost all character possession data. You can log in but you are naked and all possessions have been perm lost.

Care to hear something like that??? Tool..

C

Cal_Mythic

Right now Net Engineering is looking into the status of the "Warehouse" the server managing character housing data.

At this time we are checking the status in the dev environment before deploying to production.

Translated: We are testing the fix on our side before making the system live.

Sorry, for the delay guys. We have had a few years of data to backup and validate.

I'll keep you updated.

- c

T

Toolbox2010Leg

Right now Net Engineering is looking into the status of the "Warehouse" the server managing character housing data.

At this time we are checking the status in the dev environment before deploying to production.

Sorry, for the delay guys. We have had a few years of data to backup and validate.

I'll keep you updated.

- c
See thats all we were looking for, thank you Cal!

Jordy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're flipping out over one night of not being able to play? Dude, you pay $13 a month for access, so you've lost 39 cent of playtime. Actually, it's not even been a full day, more like a third of a day, so you've lost 13 cent. Someone credit that man his 13 cent immediately. Perhaps he can use it as a down payment on buying himself a life.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i love how they can make jokes out of taking our money and giving us nothing but "were workin on it"
i say a discounted month of game time.... or something worth us paying for nothing..... i know with my utilities at home that i also pay for, if im unhappy or my service goes down, they give me a credit of some sort, just sayin.... i guess all we can expect is jokes......
What this should say is:

Thanks for updating us, I appreciate actual interaction instead of nothing and leaving us in the blue. Thanks for not telling the engineers to stop working on getting everything up and running just to tell stratics what exactly the delays are in engineer jargin that probably half here would understand.

PS: Nothing wrong with joking around.

soze

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Holy Cow (as the late great Phil Rizzuto used to say) You need some time away from the game dude..

REEEEEE-Lax...crack open a beer...the All Star game is on...watch that.

watchertoo

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I'll keep you updated.

- c
Thanks for the update and from a paranoid data technician THANK YOU for taking your time, backing up and validating the data!