• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[UO Herald] Publish 76 comes to TC1

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is NO other summon spell in game that allows you to hold it up while waiting for your original one to die or get dispelled. It's a joke when you need 2 synchronized mass dispellers for a spawn push because mystics are allowed to hold up a precast second colossus.
There IS at least ONE more. SW spell nature fury. Sure its joke compared to RC

W

Woodsman

Bere, I guess I just don't see the decay and having to log in daily to avoid it as something I should have to do in a game with a monthly subscription fee. If UO were free-to-play, perhaps it would be more acceptable. But it's not.

Edited to add: And when I say "decay," I'm really talking about the general concept of it and specifically referring to the way virtues decay now and the decay in loyalty for helping out in the towns. I know faction kill points always had some decay attached to them and that's not what I'm talking about here. I read someone's argument (maybe yours) about how you need to have the faction kill points decay so other people have an opportunity to rise through the ranks and I don't disagree. I'm just not happy with the whole idea of putting decay on stuff that didn't have it before and on totally new systems as a means to force people to log in, and then having that modified so that you still have to log in every day. It seems far too punitive and almost as if someone all of a sudden is keeping track of how many players are actually logging into the game versus just keeping their subscriptions paid up and I really resent being manipulated like that. I'd far rather feel compelled to log in because I will have fun when I log in, not because I need to maintain something about a character, a house, or whatever. That feels like a job and there's no way I'm paying anybody for that.
YES! UO has its grindy areas. Forcing people to login daily just makes it more grindy.

Are we going to have to start logging in every so often to refresh our houses?

I do admit to being kind of down on this publish because I was hoping for graphics stuff or just something to show they were planning big things for the anniversary.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
  • Hail Storm will now have diminishiung returns like the other area effect spells in the game
Just cast Nether Cyclone...

It's a good beginning to a few needed pvp changes... I see soul glaive base damage didn't get touched though :(.

The artifacts are quite... original...

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is like that. They changed it about 4 years ago! You get points based off damage you do and when you hit the point cap [no one knows how many Points as far as i know] you get a drop.

Thunderz
Yeah but it should be more like Covetous where its a point system you can see and you can go to a turn in vendor and use those points instead of waiting for random items to drop. This way you can work towards a goal instead of rolling the dice.

Theres nothing worst than doing Doom over and over and when you finally get a drop, it's some hot mess you could care less for.

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here's a screenshot from outside Covetous in Felucca, I hope it is not the first level of a brand new champion spawn :) :
Image14.jpg

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Theres nothing worst than doing Doom over and over and when you finally get a drop, it's some hot mess you could care less for.
What?! You aren't going to run out and use your brand spanking new Dragon Slayer, Bone Crusher, or Legacy of the Dread Lord?!

You have standards you say? :lol:

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did you actually get a vanilla seed? I killed a bunch of stuff on the bottom level of Exodus Dungeon and there were no vanilla seeds on anything. What did you smack to get yours?
It was either an exodus overseer or an exodus minion that had the seed. I killed some controllers and the blazing gargoyles (sorry I can't remember the exact names) and they didn't have any seeds. It makes me think that the monster has to have "exodus" in it's name. And yes it's definitely a vanilla seed. I grew it on test center to be sure.

Meatbread

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Here's a screenshot from outside Covetous in Felucca, I hope it is not the first level of a brand new champion spawn :)
Someone else mentioned these earlier so I'll just point out:

A) Harbingers are created by yellow crystalline essence, a now-unobtainable item found during Halloween 2009.
B) Some guy who owns a stockpile of it copies his character to Test Center.
C) No need to hoard the stuff, it's only Test Center. Spam Harbingers everywhere.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because they pay the same amount of money to UO as do you. UO is suppose to be fun, not a grind.

So I take it:
#1 You never take vactions, have a family or go anywhere.
#2 You have never had a RL problem that you need to go some where for a period of time.
#3 You have never serived in the Armed Forces and been deployed.

Life must be so great for you.
Logging in is not a grind.

And because the people who play occasionaly pay the same money as those who play regularly or all the time, the Devs are supposed to cater to those who play ocassionaly instead of the rest?

You're kidding yourself. It has nothing to do with being gone or not being able to log in. it's about a group of people complaining about a change because they want everything to revolve around their playstyle.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bere, I guess I just don't see the decay and having to log in daily to avoid it as something I should have to do in a game with a monthly subscription fee. If UO were free-to-play, perhaps it would be more acceptable. But it's not.

Edited to add: And when I say "decay," I'm really talking about the general concept of it and specifically referring to the way virtues decay now and the decay in loyalty for helping out in the towns. I know faction kill points always had some decay attached to them and that's not what I'm talking about here. I read someone's argument (maybe yours) about how you need to have the faction kill points decay so other people have an opportunity to rise through the ranks and I don't disagree. I'm just not happy with the whole idea of putting decay on stuff that didn't have it before and on totally new systems as a means to force people to log in, and then having that modified so that you still have to log in every day. It seems far too punitive and almost as if someone all of a sudden is keeping track of how many players are actually logging into the game versus just keeping their subscriptions paid up and I really resent being manipulated like that. I'd far rather feel compelled to log in because I will have fun when I log in, not because I need to maintain something about a character, a house, or whatever. That feels like a job and there's no way I'm paying anybody for that.

I may be wrong but it ismy understanding that all the decay fixes were things that already had decay on them whether or not you logged in. This fix is an improvement to the existing decay rate. I'm not quite sure how they construe this as a punishment? If you don't want any decay at all I guess I can understand your argument but at this point decay etc was already a given.

Did you see the prior decay rate as a punishment whether you logged in or not?

All in all when it comes down to it the complaints seem to be minor to me and mostly consist of those who don't log in regularly wanting the exact same thing as those who play a lot more. There isn't any game that will cater to those who play less so they can have the exact same thing as those who devote more time to the game. And then have them turn around and say well we pay the same amount so we should have the same things. Lol, ok.

RaistlinNowhere

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just a doubt, if SSI cap is 60, whats the reason of doing this?

Mace of the Fanatic
  • Hit Stamina Leech 50%
  • Swing Speed Increase 75%
  • Damage Increase 50%
  • Physical Damage 100%
  • Weapon Damage 14-16
  • Weapon Speed 3.5s

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Mace of the Fanatic
  • Hit Stamina Leech 50%
  • Damage Increase 50%
  • Physical Damage 100%
  • Weapon Damage 14-16
  • Weapon Speed 3.5s

It has been discussed already, but each new artifact is a copy of a Doom Arti , with 1 extra mod. That is a Beserkers Maul, which has always had 75 SSI since AOS. It was never changed.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, the devs ought to consider different avenues. Players are spoiled post-imbuing, and want HML on every item for PvM purposes. Of course, that's never been a consideration. Instead of an artifact with loaded stats they could always open up new slayer types or other kind of mods. Then again, I'm still waiting for my Staff of Pyros to function!
Yes, fellow, but that would take effort! Joking aside, I think thats really the way they had ought to go. Not just items with good stats, but ones that actually act differently than any other type.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do admit to being kind of down on this publish because I was hoping for graphics stuff or just something to show they were planning big things for the anniversary.
Remember that last publish we got a graphic update to EC dragons that wasn't in the publish notes.
No notes != no graphics.

R

rottenbeggar

Thanks for the covetous upgrade it looks good i do think the arties lack the want for players perhaps a better change would be to maybe have sets like a sword and shield or ring and bracelet maybe maybe, however thanks for the effort in trying to please but your not quite there yet...........

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Someone else mentioned these earlier so I'll just point out:

A) Harbingers are created by yellow crystalline essence, a now-unobtainable item found during Halloween 2009.
B) Some guy who owns a stockpile of it copies his character to Test Center.
C) No need to hoard the stuff, it's only Test Center. Spam Harbingers everywhere.
Yep. So in summary for those unsure, there are no dread warhorses or harbingers coming out of Covetous. No tameables, either. :(

iamSnippa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep. So in summary for those unsure, there are no dread warhorses or harbingers coming out of Covetous. No tameables, either. :(
The Nightmare still in level 2 Covetous in Felucca? Or were you just saying no new tameables?

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, fellow, but that would take effort! Joking aside, I think thats really the way they had ought to go. Not just items with good stats, but ones that actually act differently than any other type.
Well, we still have to figure out what ephemeral means. If ephemeral means timer, which I assume it does not, then that's one thing. If it means increased durability wear, that's another. I think I actually have enough points to get a weapon so I think I'll do some testing after a hearty breakfast. Either that or fall asleep.

I tell you though, the Vorpal Blade and Staff of Pyros are promises not kept. I think reactive para is actually a pretty cool mod idea. Reflect physical was interesting in Dibalo II when it was it was used as a necro, I believe. Forget what it was called then, but that was fun to use the golem and all that. In UO it's less fun...maybe because the damage is too low. You can take it to over 100%, though...I guess it could be interesting give a high percentage.

For now I guess we have to be happy about some of the new, interesting mobs...there is one type of lizard called a magma lizard, and it does this area damage thing I don't recall ever seeing before...makes like this white mist wash over you even if you're hidden. Seems kind of cool. Plus, don't underestimate a demon mongbat...lol damn things are like imps yet more potent, necro skill...wither...

Hm. Items with a different ability would be a fun thread to create, especially if they could figure out the blade and staff.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Nightmare still in level 2 Covetous in Felucca? Or were you just saying no new tameables?
Good point. Okay, in summary, no dread warhorses or harbingers coming out of Covetous on the Trammel side. No tameables, either.

I haven't checked out Fel yet, but I'm going to assume it's the same on LVL 2, because the Void Pool gump lists the shard--which suggests there is a Fel Void Pool.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, took a trip through the harbinger-infested first and second levels of Fel Covetous and there is no nightmare spawn anywhere. That is kind of an oversight, not sure how many red tamers need to tame a nightmare right now, with bonding and all, but yeah.

iamSnippa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, took a trip through the harbinger-infested first and second levels of Fel Covetous and there is no nightmare spawn anywhere. That is kind of an oversight, not sure how many red tamers need to tame a nightmare right now, with bonding and all, but yeah.
I don't play a red tamer, but that is the only place I would tame one, and where I have tamed all my past Nightmares and taught my brother to tame his... what a shame.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't play a red tamer, but that is the only place I would tame one, and where I have tamed all my past Nightmares and taught my brother to tame his... what a shame.
For some reason Fel's side doesn't have a Cora, either...unless a group killed her and her spawner is on cooldown. The second level waves are flowing fine, though.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:( any time I've tamed a nightmare for anyone that's the one I've gone for too.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so for anyone who is wondering, the crystal brazier for summoning Corgul is just outside the exit from level 2, in the mountain passage that leads to level 3

S

Sevin0oo0

Well, we still have to figure out what ephemeral means.
my understanding is that it means Short Lived, ex: Fashion styles, they're here, they go away, might come back in favor.

Whether each new artifact is a copy of anything or not, Picking what we want is the Big Plus, versus virtue armor where you might not get what you want or get something you already have several of. The "random" just isn't working very well for worked rewards. I think they recognized that from the quest that's now removed where you had to collect all the armor pieces, and corrected with a newer system mechanics, I'm not known as a PomPom waver, as my past bans will prove, but, I'm kinda excited about Cove. I'm not gonna try TC, I'll wait for the go live version.Looks Fun

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wind and Terathan Keep

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well Cora is a giant waste of time

What did she drop?

Yep...the same artifacts you get from the void pool system....And notice the 50 durability. *sigh*

Took about 30-40 minutes to do. We did it with the following:

1 4/6 Chiv Dexxer
1 Mystic just healing
1 Discorder

The blue lightning on the ground drains almost all of your mana. Melee seem to always get hit by it, but as it spreads anyone on the outside should be able to move out of its way. She does the Hydra fireball attack which can hit multiple people. She also pulls you in when you do ranged attacks/use pets. No slayer seemed to work on her. She WAS discoable. Drops are NOT guaranteed. Only 1 of us got an artifact (The Healer). Unless she has some other kind of drops besides these new artifacts, it seems MUCH easier to just do the void pool until you have enough points.

Also, the void pool is EXTREMELY easy on a sampire. By myself, I did it up to wave 30 - score of 16559 - which currently ranks 2nd in overall single battle scores (Trammel). This of course, only got me 90 points I could spend, but it was very very easy.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well Cora is a giant waste of time

What did she drop?

Yep...the same artifacts you get from the void pool system....And notice the 50 durability. *sigh*

Took about 30-40 minutes to do. We did it with the following:

1 4/6 Chiv Dexxer
1 Mystic just healing
1 Discorder

The blue lightning on the ground drains almost all of your mana. Melee seem to always get hit by it, but as it spreads anyone on the outside should be able to move out of its way. She does the Hydra fireball attack which can hit multiple people. She also pulls you in when you do ranged attacks/use pets. No slayer seemed to work on her. She WAS discoable. Drops are NOT guaranteed. Only 1 of us got an artifact (The Healer). Unless she has some other kind of drops besides these new artifacts, it seems MUCH easier to just do the void pool until you have enough points.

Also, the void pool is EXTREMELY easy on a sampire. By myself, I did it up to wave 30 - score of 16559 - which currently ranks 2nd in overall single battle scores (Trammel). This of course, only got me 90 points I could spend, but it was very very easy.
Have you considered using Powder of Fortification?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im surprised, it actually works. Which, if you can PoF them...why even make them come with 50 durability in the first place.
A good question. On one hand it does seem pointless, yet on the other we can easily do it ourselves. It keeps the usefulness value at least for PoF.

Edit: But after seeing that next picture makes me wonder if there is simply a bug with the in dungeon spawn.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A good question. On one hand it does seem pointless, yet on the other we can easily do it ourselves.

Edit: But after seeing that next picture makes me wonder if there is simply a bug with the in dungeon spawn.
The void pool ones also seem to have the Ephemeral property, which seems to imply the artifacts from the void pool arent permanent? Maybe killing Cora is the only way to get the artifacts in a permanent fashion? *shrugs*

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Hmmm, cant help but noting the gloves are lower in point value than other things. I wonder what the stats are on the higher end stuff. Where is the point guy stuff at?

W

Woodsman

Remember that last publish we got a graphic update to EC dragons that wasn't in the publish notes.
No notes != no graphics.
It's not just the graphics. It's May. The 15th anniversary is not quite 5 months away. I admit that I'm letting myself be influenced by others I've been talking to a lot lately about this issue, but I feel the way they do - that UO needs some kind of roadmap laid out for its future.

I hope that we get this high resolution graphics stuff, and I hope that it's something really good that can bring in new players, because expansions, booster packs, theme packs, and the updated new player experience have all been dropped, and that scares the crap out of me about UO's future.

Story/plots for the game are fine for existing players, but they aren't going to attract much publicity outside of that.

I have faith in Grimm, but I've seen EA botch a lot of things, and the UO producer didn't seem to want to talk about the bigger things for UO, and we're just getting too close to the anniversary. It would be like EA to waste the most publicity we've had for UO in years, keeping current players happy, and not doing enough for potential players.

Fingers crossed that the next couple of publishes are huge, although the fact that Publish 77 planning just started worries me since that means there will only be a few publishes between now and the 15th anniversary.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So whats the point of the points again? because no one will waste points on 24 hour use junk artifacts. Especially if they can farm for permanent ones. Do you see anyone using cursed doom artifacts? Exactly.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So whats the point of the points again? because no one will waste points on 24 hour use junk artifacts. Especially if they can farm for permanent ones. Do you see anyone using cursed doom artifacts? Exactly.
Well, you say junk artifacts, but we havent seen the new ones theyve designed. All the ones on TC now, are being removed.

But I do agree with your main point.

puni666

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Mace of the Fanatic
  • Hit Stamina Leech 50%
  • Damage Increase 50%
  • Physical Damage 100%
  • Weapon Damage 14-16
  • Weapon Speed 3.5s
This is an old system being mixed with a new system which still makes it a big pile of S.

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can finally send new players to an appropriate dungeon: the first level of the dungeon Covetous. The monsters on the first two areas don't attack other players yet drop new magic items and there are some strange gazers on the third area (near the exit) that are a little bit more difficult yet can be tried to kill every now and then. They can also help on the first couple of waves of the Void Pool on the second level of the dungeon. The first level of the dungeon Shame is still too hard for the new players and Despise and Old Haven is not as rewarding as the new dungeons in terms of loot.

I must say that apart from a few concerns and some minor bugs, my impressions on the new additions so far are quite positive.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In case no one has looked over at the thread on suggestions for different artifacts:
Hi Guys,

We read your feedback on the artifacts that were originally added to Covetous, and thank you. So with that being said all artifacts listed in the patch notes are being removed. We sat down as a team and came up with 5 items that we feel deserve to be called an artifact without giving anyone a I WIN button =).

Mesanna

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's pretty impressive. Note that individual score does not seem to affect turn in score, though. As long as you participate you end up with the same amount of points. In other words, if you remain in the dungeon, score points, and stay until the end you'll achieve the same amount of turn in points as the sampires, even if your mage ends up with a mere 3,000 individual points. However, the more mobs you kill, the greater your chance to get artifact pops from the spawn itself.

Also note there are at least four different types of spawn, and the undead seem a bit tougher than the repond, and the demon is tougher than repond as well. Some battles will be easier based on spawn type alone. But yeah, a sampire's whirlwind is pretty useful there.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok maybe Cora has a purpose afterall.
Have you bought the gloves off the NPC to compare them? Do the NPC bought gloves allow powder application, for example? I guess it doesn't matter since the team will delete them.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Have you bought the gloves off the NPC to compare them? Do the NPC bought gloves allow powder application, for example? I guess it doesn't matter since the team will delete them.
I havent bothered to get that many points. But the vendor ones do show that ephemeral mod, which the cora ones didnt have

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so for anyone who is wondering, the crystal brazier for summoning Corgul is just outside the exit from level 2, in the mountain passage that leads to level 3

I havent bothered to get that many points. But the vendor ones do show that ephemeral mod, which the cora ones didnt have

so the secret is ephemeral means current durability = max durability. you can't use powder and you can't repair because if the durability goes down so does the max!

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

so the secret is ephemeral means current durability = max durability. you can't use powder and you can't repair because if the durability goes down so does the max!

So there is absolutely NO REASON to do the void pool, and instead go directly to farming Cora.

iamSnippa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well that sure is a huge disappointment... Alright so... You said you got 90 points from completing 30 waves, and said it was extremely easy (as a sampire). What was the amount of time that you put in to doing this, how soon can it be repeated, and do you get any drops or anything while killing the waves (or is it just points?)? Also, how many relic fragments does one of these items unravel into?