• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Vendor Search Issues

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I personally have gotten annoyed by 3rd party websites so let me tell you how to get rid of them.

First it is more than apparent the Dev team knows how to interrupt scripting with simple code changes that set every scripter back days.
We have seen these simple code changes before, we know they are not permanent solutions, but however we also know it would work if you stuck to it.

Solution implement 1 anti script code change 1 time per week for the next year.
This will chase every scripter in UO out, no one will use search sites ever again (as it wont be worth the effort).

This is by far the easiest solution with the largest punishment setting on the cheaters.
DO NOT believe this is an enormous code change IT ISNT, it is closer to changing a few lines of code that have already been identified and changed regularly.
Ahhh, it must be fun living in your easy world.... Oh well....

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I personally have gotten annoyed by 3rd party websites so let me tell you how to get rid of them.

First it is more than apparent the Dev team knows how to interrupt scripting with simple code changes that set every scripter back days.
We have seen these simple code changes before, we know they are not permanent solutions, but however we also know it would work if you stuck to it.

Solution implement 1 anti script code change 1 time per week for the next year.
This will chase every scripter in UO out, no one will use search sites ever again (as it wont be worth the effort).

This is by far the easiest solution with the largest punishment setting on the cheaters.
DO NOT believe this is an enormous code change IT ISNT, it is closer to changing a few lines of code that have already been identified and changed regularly.
A LONG time ago a dev said he had made a spreadsheet showing those who ran a script vs the rest as they were cracking down, nothing happened. Nothing will happen, this game has a limited player base where a goodly percentage run some type off assistance and throwing a wrench into that payer base just isn't going to happen. Of all the things that people on this board have complained about for years yet nothing ever happened scripting is the biggest one.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
A LONG time ago a dev said he had made a spreadsheet showing those who ran a script vs the rest as they were cracking down, nothing happened. Nothing will happen, this game has a limited player base where a goodly percentage run some type off assistance and throwing a wrench into that payer base just isn't going to happen. Of all the things that people on this board have complained about for years yet nothing ever happened scripting is the biggest one.
So basically, there are likely at least as many cheaters' accounts as honest players' at this point. This is probably the most cogent and illuminating observation in this thread. It's something I've suspected myself, and it would explain an awful lot.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd be so bold as to say more. I find it hard to believe that a normal person who owns and uses more than 2 accounts does not run a script for some aspect of the game. While it isn't hard to run one account the task increases for two even using a pair of screens but three(as I own) is near impossible and after playing for 5+ years I'm not sure how many people derive alot of pleasure in making new chars over pushing play.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I find it hard to believe that a normal person who owns and uses more than 2 accounts does not run a script for some aspect of the game.
HYPERBOLIC RABBIT HOLE ALERT!

Seriously, that's just silly. I'd say that most people own multiple accounts for additional housing, not to have a legion of skilled characters. That's not to say there aren't people out there with multiple accounts and the drive to script them full of OP chars, I just don't buy that its the majority of account holders.

If the dev's really wanted to end scripting, an automated mini-patch that altered the encryption schema every three days or so would cripple the cheaters. No more Plague. But, since they (EA/Mythic/Broadsword) can't be bothered to enforce the ToS in any meaningful way, talking about this seems pointless.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like I said owns and USES more than 2 accounts. If they thought it was in the games best interest a mini patch would have been done 7+ years ago. I, personally, find it hard to believe that a person pays for accounts with the only intention being to hold houses. I'm sure that some do but, to me, I find that wasteful and crazy.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I, personally, find it hard to believe that a person pays for accounts with the only intention being to hold houses. I'm sure that some do but, to me, I find that wasteful and crazy.
So do I... yet I have 13 spare accounts like that. :p
I'd much rather just pay a minor upcharge (times 13) on my main account that would allow +1 house ownership. It'd make properly securing storage in houses so much simpler.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd be so bold as to say more. I find it hard to believe that a normal person who owns and uses more than 2 accounts does not run a script for some aspect of the game. While it isn't hard to run one account the task increases for two even using a pair of screens but three(as I own) is near impossible and after playing for 5+ years I'm not sure how many people derive alot of pleasure in making new chars over pushing play.
Actually, it's not that hard. A buddy and I used to run 4 accounts between us. When I was away at school he'd run his plus mine, and when he was away at work I'd run mine plus his. We never used any scripts. We just had multiple monitors and a switch box that let us swap the keyboard mouse functions from one system to the next. Did that for about 2 years. You had to pay attention, but it wasn't impossible.

We did use UOA a lot, does that count as a script? At how many functions is a macro redefined as a script?

'Course, you did say "normal person". I guess us UO freaks may not be describable as "normal".

MUAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You should see me multi boxing 4 sampires thru DSP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not saying it can't be done but it's a rare person who can effectivly run 2+ accounts at the same time without some external control system. 15 accounts all mining, spawing, gold farming, arti hunting, crafting or what ever....me thinks you are pulling my leg.

That all said I still wonder what is happening with this search. It's amazing that the team feels that it's ok to not reply at all to this issue while wanting to run some Q&A in a few days, where are your heads?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Gonna propose another of my unpopular thoughts here.

But has anyone ever thought how great it would have been, if instead of spending all those hard to find man-hours creating yet another non working fiasco that is gonna end up taking another load of rare dev time to fix, the powers that be had just approached <the site that cant be named> and made them official and approved, with the rule being they must show every vendor and not just Luna?

I mean, the work was already being done for them...and the time coulda been spent on bug fixes, virtue/vice, whatever.

Just saying

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran

But has anyone ever thought how great it would have been, if instead of spending all those hard to find man-hours creating yet another non working fiasco that is gonna end up taking another load of rare dev time to fix, the powers that be had just approached <the site that cant be named> and made them official and approved, with the rule being they must show every vendor and not just Luna?

I mean, the work was already being done for them...and the time coulda been spent on bug fixes, virtue/vice, whatever.

Just saying
That was a very efficient system, and did not include everyone. All it did was to reinforce Luna as the place to shop, and did nothing to help the homeowners outside of Luna. How would you spread that system to cover all facets and every homeowner who wanted to set up a vendor? It just isn't practical.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Just saying
What about Siege and Mugen? As far as I know, they've never been covered by that external site and I have a hard time believing that the method they use to collect data would ever work on those shards unless Broadsword somehow granted that site the ability to have invulnerable characters on those shards and blessed their scripting activity. If not, their little bot characters would just get picked off as soon as they stepped outside the guard zone in Luna or Zento and would be super-easy to box in and make ineffective in New Magincia. Instead of providing any kind of useful information, they'd just be relegated to providing some people with some form of daily entertainment.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

Just saying
1. There are multiple such sites, and they only catalog the vendors in high-traffic areas because of how their scripts work. I'm pretty sure they aren't going to comb every facet of every shard for out of the way vendors. They CAN'T show every vendor.

2. Several posters have already pointed out that these sites do not show all results. Either they are accidentally leaving out certain, usually lower-priced items, or (more likely) they manipulate the data because it is profitable, in real money, for them to do so.

Broadsword has zero control over these sites, and they can not and should not place any trust in the people operating them because they have been cheating for years! Regardless of whether the third party gold sellers are trustworthy enough for individual players to buy gold from, they are clearly NOT trustworthy enough to be honest with their information when their bottom line is involved.

Now if Broadsword had made their OWN official version of those sites that drew from the actual game database, that would be great. In fact, I think that should have been the way to go. Mesanna said something about wanting to make the vendor search accessible on smart phones, so maybe it will be something they implement in the future once they work the kinks out.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That was a very efficient system, and did not include everyone. All it did was to reinforce Luna as the place to shop, and did nothing to help the homeowners outside of Luna. How would you spread that system to cover all facets and every homeowner who wanted to set up a vendor? It just isn't practical.
Indeed, and how could UO's higher powers ensure the sites are in fact including every vendor and every item, instead of keeping low-priced items to themselves, as some accuse? Add to that that at least one site is known to have sold duped gold, at the least. I couldn't trust it to be fully honest about a vendor search.

Besides, if UO legitimized it, then it would have to allow at least some scripting for everybody. I don't see that happening.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
First, re read the post. If UO approved the deal, then they would by nature have some control over it.

One thing that could be required, is that everyne who has a vendor would be covered, by taking a representative a rune to said vendor. Or a designated drop point. This would be part of the deal. And tbh, I think the only place nowdays that this could be a problem would be on Atlantic just becuase of its size.

Second thing- I set the price for the item on my vendor. If it sells, I really dont care to whom, I got what I wanted for it, whether you bought it or the search site bought it.

And for the record, the site Im thinking of has given me years of great service, fast, courtious, and without the hassles and constant frustration of dealing with UO's own website store.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
First, re read the post. If UO approved the deal, then they would by nature have some control over it.

One thing that could be required, is that everyne who has a vendor would be covered, by taking a representative a rune to said vendor. Or a designated drop point. This would be part of the deal. And tbh, I think the only place nowdays that this could be a problem would be on Atlantic just becuase of its size.

Second thing- I set the price for the item on my vendor. If it sells, I really dont care to whom, I got what I wanted for it, whether you bought it or the search site bought it.

And for the record, the site Im thinking of has given me years of great service, fast, courtious, and without the hassles and constant frustration of dealing with UO's own website store.
I did read your post, and my points still stand. "Control" necessitates that UO's higher powers ensure that a chosen site is doing what it's supposed to. There are two ways: trust, and double-checking listed items. When UHallers have demonstrated that not every item gets listed, there is no trust that deserves to be bestowed. Therefore UO's programming would need to compare a site's listing to every last listed item item -- but then UO's own programming would have the capability of doing vendor listings on its own. That is something players can trust such that, if a listing is wrong, it wasn't intentional.

For my part, I've never had a problem ordering from the Origin store, and I'm too regular a buyer of Forged Metal Tools.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right you share 4 accounts which would be 2 per player being utilized on average at a given time. Subscribe to the belief that people such as yourselves are the norm when you know it's not the case. In my time of playing the game I met one person such as yourself whom I had the pleasure of playing with, sad but so true.

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
People script because basically all skills are ridiculously time consuming, repetitive and not fun to train. Simple as that. Don't try take the high ground with "I only use UOAssist" (which started out as an unapproved cheat tool) etc. either because that's still a form of automation, albeit a less sophisticated one than scripts. Close to 100% of people have, or continue to use, some form of automation in the game. If you didn't, you'd not be typing here right now cuz you'd be crippled by chronic carpel tunnel or just died of bordom. :p

With the EC allowing ridiculously long repeating loop macros and EA selling "advanced characters" it's largely a moot point anyway. Rapid enhancement is offically supported in one way or another. I'd argue the means to achieve it isn't that important. I just wish they'd make skill gains through legitimate play which isn't mind-numbingly repetitive more desirable and favored. I play for fun these days and watching a script or macro repeat a task over and over for me isn't fun, but it's almost a necessity to train anything. Meh.

Anyway, back on the main topic: fix vendor search! You took ages to implement it to "get it right" then shipped a completely broken feature and basically haven't said a word since. You actually had a part of the community believing that being managed by "Broadsword" was the beginning of a new era and spelled better things for the game. You're literally throwing that good will down the pan at the very first hint that something has gone wrong purely by not posting something like: "Hey guys, we know it sucks the vendor search doesn't work. We've had a few unancitipated issues on global roll-out. We're on it though and hope to be able to update you with a more concrete timeframe for a fix soon!"

^ it literally took me about 10 seconds to write that. I'm sure you guys can manage it. If you can't, get a "community manager/liason" person who actually posts here and is privvy to such information.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow. Petra has gone farther than I have. I have 14 accounts and I've never even used UOA/UOAM/UOCartographer/UOMapper. My first and only thing to go beyond the stock client was a User Interface/Icon Set for the EC.
People use to walk on all 4's but look how we evolved. Ignorance is bliss

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And scripting / multiboxing is illegal... What's your point?
I was under the impression that the restriction on multiboxing was lifted?

Anyway, back on topic... vendor search? any devs still alive?

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
my understanding is running multiple clients is ok, controlling them individually switching from one to the other etc but controlling for example multiple characters with one mouse and having them doing the same things with one click etc is not! that is my understanding

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
my understanding is running multiple clients is ok, controlling them individually switching from one to the other etc but controlling for example multiple characters with one mouse and having them doing the same things with one click etc is not! that is my understanding
Thats correct as far as I understand it as well.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With two monitors two systems a little alt+left click, and some intuition...you'd be surprised what u can accomplish..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so how do we search for power scrolls?

i tried 'scroll discordance' nothing
i tried 'discordance' nothing
ive tried 'mythical discordance' nothing

anyone have a guess?

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

anyone have a guess?

Are you getting a "no results found" type message? or just nothing, because it still isn't working for me at all. (when working properly if there are no results, it will tell you that)

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People script because basically all skills are ridiculously time consuming, repetitive and not fun to train. Simple as that. .
Whilst I largely agree with what you are saying your opening sentence only tells half the story. Yes SOME people script for that reason but some also script to gain an advantage over the legitimate player, or in other words CHEAT. I have some sympathy with the first type and contempt for the others.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

anyone have a guess?
I gave an example of searching for powerscrolls on my guide, which was written while the system was on Test Center. However at current time the system is not functional. I plan to leave it completely alone until there is a notice posted advising that it can now be used.

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Whilst I largely agree with what you are saying your opening sentence only tells half the story. Yes SOME people script for that reason but some also script to gain an advantage over the legitimate player, or in other words CHEAT. I have some sympathy with the first type and contempt for the others.
A fair point that I conceed. It is worthwhile making the distinction. I'd say most scripts were probably training ones, though.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have not read any of this topic and I am sure at least one person has already said this.

Personally, I think they should can the entire vendor search feature. It doesn't work and the development time they need to devote to its upkeep will be enormous. I tried three times to test it out and it has never worked. It is a complete waste to try and mimic what websites are doing. It isn't even as remotely convenient. If they want to do vendor search it should have been website based, roll it into MyUO. There is something that could have actually used fixing. My guild relied heavily on MyUO and it has been broken for 5 years. How do you even manage a guild of more than a couple dozen people? You can't, it is impossible unless you want to spend all day looking at the character list in-game.

Also, I don't know what the search delay in-game is because it never worked for me. I can type a term into one of the vendor websites and it comes up in less than a second. Maybe someone can reply with how fast it is that was able to use it.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have not read any of this topic and I am sure at least one person has already said this.

Personally, I think they should can the entire vendor search feature. It doesn't work and the development time they need to devote to its upkeep will be enormous. I tried three times to test it out and it has never worked. It is a complete waste to try and mimic what websites are doing. It isn't even as remotely convenient. If they want to do vendor search it should have been website based, roll it into MyUO. There is something that could have actually used fixing. My guild relied heavily on MyUO and it has been broken for 5 years. How do you even manage a guild of more than a couple dozen people? You can't, it is impossible unless you want to spend all day looking at the character list in-game.

Also, I don't know what the search delay in-game is because it never worked for me. I can type a term into one of the vendor websites and it comes up in less than a second. Maybe someone can reply with how fast it is that was able to use it.
It worked perfectly fine on test + Origin. The search results took no time at all. It wasn't until the publish became live for every shard that the system pretty much broke.

If they can get it fixed to work on all shards at once like it was on Test + Origin, it will be just fine.

LetheGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The reason there are no "far out vendors" is because Luna killed them off. I hope the new vendor search will bring them back.
Neither Luna nor the search sites killed shard wide vendoring. We the players did. How did a vendor owner get people to visit their shop prior to Luna, search sites, in game search and even global chat? We worked our butts off marking/dropping runes, spending most of our in game time at populated banks gating to our shops. We spent time posting on all the various forums. Shoppers had to travel to the various vendor shops and physically open all the vendors and search for an item they wanted. The the advent of Luna made operating a vendor much more convenient. Vendor operators were more than happy to pay a house owner for this convenience and it allowed them time to enjoy the game instead of advertising their shops. Shoppers stopped going to far off vendors because again, it was more convenient to browse the Luna loop, players were willing to pay more for an item because of it. Luna, searches, etc are not stopping anyone from running a shop no matter where it is. If you want a succesful shop, work for it.

The search sites actually help promote vendoring not hinder it. They saw a need to provide a convenient service and developed a system to fill that need. Does it benefit them? Sure it does and the player base as well. Do they intentionally omit vendors for their own gains? Possibly. Did they have to provide their service to the public? No, they could of kept ALL of the search information to themselves. Knowing where ALL the good deals were not just a few select vendors enabling them to truly corner a market like some say they are doing now.

People should relax in regard to Broadsword's lack of communication. We know they are working on it. They don't need to waste time posting every hour telling us they are working on it. They only need to post an update if they cancel the system or that it is operational. We have not had an in game search for 15+ years if it does not get implemented nothing changes. I'd be willing to bet some of the most outspoken people in this thread are ones that jumped the gun and sold a vendor house on speculation of prime vendor houses dropping in value once the search was implemented, but that's just a guess on my part..

*End of long winded rant* :p

Last edited:

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
The search sites actually help promote vendoring not hinder it. ..

I'd be willing to bet some of the most outspoken people in this thread are ones that jumped the gun and sold a vendor house on speculation of prime vendor houses dropping in value once the search was implemented, but that's just a guess on my part..

*End of long winded rant* :p
The 3rd party vendor sites only promote vendors in Luna and Zento, and they do not help 99% of the population who don't have vendors there. Those 3rd party search sites sites hurt those remote vendors.

For myself, I just made my house public and added 4 vendors to the front of the house. They are empty until the vendor search goes live. I really don't understand your speculation that people dropped houses hoping to get a prime location once the vendor search went live. Anyone would have waited until it went live to make any change like that. So, that's really just nonsense.

Regardless of how you spin it, Luna did hurt the remote vendors and player run villages.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
No set day that i have heard. Yet

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That....is awesome. Seriously, this should just appear on the front page of uo.com and be at the top of all patch/publish notes.

It should also be the response to every question ever asked to the dev team about "when".

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like I said owns and USES more than 2 accounts. If they thought it was in the games best interest a mini patch would have been done 7+ years ago. I, personally, find it hard to believe that a person pays for accounts with the only intention being to hold houses. I'm sure that some do but, to me, I find that wasteful and crazy.
Just call me and a lot of other folks I know wasteful and crazy.............guilty as charged sir!