• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Vendor Search Issues

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As time passes and little information is now forthcoming, this suggests the problem is far, far more serious than it first appeared. I begin to wonder if the Vendor Search will join the list of things we nearly had. We were going to have a mount that flew (Reptalon), never happened. We were going to have a script blocker, never happened. . Perhaps in the future we will look back and think we nearly had a vendor search but it never happened.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Every example you listed is correct but I would argue that them attempting to corner the market is long done if it was to be done in the first place. If the current dev team could turn this search into a actual cash generation machine via in game sales driven from the search than I'm all for it but, it seems, this was a pet project driven by the vocal few on stratics.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could sit here literally all day long, week after week, browsing through vendors on certain shards and then looking to see if certain types of high-priced items will come up in search results on the unnamed third party search site and never find them. It has been this way for a long, long time now and in my eyes is the main reason we need to have Broadsword finish this task that they started almost two years ago!

Here is one example from just a few minutes ago. There is a 120 power scroll vendor on Formosa that I'm 100% positive didn't spring up in the last day or two and that is rarely empty. Yet, mysteriously, none of its contents can be found on the 3rd party site.

formosa 120 vendor.jpg

How does one explain this? I looked at the other vendors at this shop and was able to find their cheaper items on the search site (runed sashes, pads of the cu sidhe, etc.). And yet the 120 power scroll vendor's wares are NOT there. I doubt that anyone who plays UO these days is so dumb that they cannot figure out why. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure it out. Just look at what else is showing on the page of search results....

Attachments

Last edited:

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Yup, if it isn't at least as fast and effective as the current option who would bother to use it. Considering that you can run the search in a seperate window while filling a vendor makes it all the more ideal for a player and forget the idea that 90% of current users have it bookmarked thus making it the default already. A year ago I asked why this was being done for all those reasons and more yet nothing has seemed to answer this. Added value, it has none :(
Direct teleport and the open containing container function are both incredibly useful and very time saving in comparison. When I saw those in action I was convinced.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And another example, just done on Hokuto. 120 tactics power scroll for sale on a vendor that doesn't appear that it probably sprang up over night. And yet, it's nowhere to be found in the search results on the 3rd party website.

hokuto 120 tactics.jpg

Last edited:

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I can confirm that that last one has been in place for at least 8 months now.

kongomongo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
A bug for one client? not sure what are you talking about, I'm doing a comparizon because I work on software that run on a web server farm and everything I code it impacts on every client of the app. But hey, we arent talking about me so lets look on what the UO devs do or can do.

About the stress test "issue".. well, seems that you have knowledge on software development so you should understand that if you are developing a software that interface or is dependent to multiple components/software then you *need* to do Integration Testing. If the software you are working on has 10k customers then its not serious to test the feature on a shard that has 1% of your customers but instead, you need to do Stress Testing.
Its crazy that some people believes that devs do more tests because they now publish to two shards instead of one. Or three shard, if you seriously think TC1 does count as a shard. Thats not considered testing or QA (quality assurance). Publishing new features on these shards should be only used to get feedback from customers or maybe to get measures about usability but never for "customer testing" because you cant expect customers to do any kind of realiable stress, integration, security, etc etc testing.
I dont think mythic (now broadsword, same devs just a different company name) has any QA employee at all, so the responsability for testing each publish goes to the developers and the project manager (or producer, in this company).

Anyway, before a mod decides to lock this thread because people is discussing about something that isnt "on topic" then i willl add that... I'm too waiting on the Vendor search thingy and I'm too expecting some kind of communication from the dev team :)
I guess we can just agree on that there currently is no serious testing in any way shape or form. Given the size of the team I also see no way of being able to viably create a solid foundation for sensible testing.

And to the topic: Yes communication stopped, should be improved upon. But for me its like the feature isnt there yet and im still waiting on it since it was announced. No big difference to me if its defunct or not yet available.

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry Tina, but you can't post screen prints from that site here!
Sorry, Petra. I thought I'd doctored them up enough to hide their address and name. It just makes me so mad to see people fooled into believing that site is doing a good job, because it's not. It's doing a partial job and it doesn't take much in the way of brains to figure out WHY it's not presenting all the results. All you have to do is look at the rest of the site and see what they are selling people for CASH. It's a business that people are making money from, not a service that people are offering purely and simply out of the goodness of their hearts and because they care about the people playing UO.

I really hope that some of the people who think this site is so wonderful will go to any one of the Asian shards and do some searches for themselves. Yes, sometimes you will find some of the expensive items in your searches. But chances are really, really good that you are going to find many vendors that didn't just spring up the night before selling high-priced items and you won't be able to find those items when you search that site. And then you should ask yourself why and then decide for yourself whether you really want to continue supporting that site while trashing Broadsword's efforts to give us something else. Yes, what Mrs. Troublemaker and Bleak have been working on has been a long time in the works (Mesanna first mentioned it officially to us at the 15th anniversary party over 1.5 years ago), but in the meantime they've had to deal with many other issues, including server relocation/moving everything "to the cloud." I'm sure those changes had a significant impact on what they were doing in terms of designing and also taking up their time to even work on the project.

Give the dev team some time to keep working at this. We don't know what kinds of issues they discovered once they rolled out vendor search to all shards. Heck, for all we know the problem isn't a design problem at all but perhaps someone deliberately attempting searches that they know will tie up resources and cause problems.

I have confidence that the team is going to get the vendor search to work AND that they will keep refining and perfecting it as they go. And when they get it up and running, I will be here cheering as loud as I can. We don't always give those engineers, Bleak and Mrs. Troublemaker, a lot of recognition, but I really think this time we should go out of our way to acknowledge what they're doing.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, I am pretty sure they will make it working in some way. I know they are fighting with tons of legacy code, at tiny team and obviously no testing mechanisms in place (as far as to having no backup recovery tests at least until 2012 - maybe not even today ;))

I can understand it's hell of a job actually! Lots of us may have worked on projects like this - and I'm sure if the team didn't love *UO* actually they would have long called it quits for better.

But what really grinds me is the way the team wastes its precious time on things looking like not even 90% thought through. If the vendor search should really excel with the third party sites, there is a lot of effort to put into. While knowing there are already other things in the pipeline, I dont think this is going to happen. There will of course be minor changes to make it work. But for e.g. one other point mentioned here - the UI - i see no hope.

At the moment most features have one shot. If they dont get it right in the first place, there are no resources to comprehensively fix it (like refinements). More or less "if it hits TC1, its basically set in stone".

I would much appreciate seeing more effort put into the design of new things in the first place. I dont mind communication too much really.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really hope that some of the people who think this site is so wonderful will go to any one of the Asian shards and do some searches for themselves. Yes, sometimes you will find some of the expensive items in your searches. But chances are really, really good that you are going to find many vendors that didn't just spring up the night before selling high-priced items and you won't be able to find those items when you search that site. And then you should ask yourself why and then decide for yourself whether you really want to continue supporting that site while trashing Broadsword's efforts to give us something else.
Tina, i really like reading your posts usually. Most times its just outstanding work whatever you do! But while the above might be true as well, I might see it from another perspective.

Though i have chars on a hand full of shards, I dont have more than 1m in bank on any shard except Atl. I play casual after work and enjoy being active in lower to mid priced market segments. Not too often items on my Luna vendor are priced above 10m. And while i love working my chars, I dont mind SoTs and PS too much. After all I dont expect them doing it without a profit. And if that includes offering powerlevelling, I dont see a problem (Yes i know, ToS and stuff.. blah).

As for the other part of the markets i fail to see them filtering out deals on a big scale. I got lots deals where people priced one magnitude too low, let default prices, or just plain cheap half price sales.

If this sites didnt exist, there would be no way at all to search things. I cant travel all day just to find items. And moreover i fail to see why another group should not abuse its position to control the markets then: The owners of those vendor malls with lots of time at hands to 24/7 as much as the third party site players do.

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
.. But for e.g. one other point mentioned here - the UI - i see no hope. ...
Just a comment on this one point.

In the EC most gumps, if not all, can be modded to improve the look and functionality. Look at what Pinco has done with the paperdoll stats sheet and the pet gumps. The current vendor search is useable (as tested on TC), it just looks ugly. So anyway, I do see hope for the vendor search UI.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could sit here literally all day long, week after week, browsing through vendors on certain shards and then looking to see if certain types of high-priced items will come up in search results on the unnamed third party search site and never find them. It has been this way for a long, long time now and in my eyes is the main reason we need to have Broadsword finish this task that they started almost two years ago!

Here is one example from just a few minutes ago. There is a 120 power scroll vendor on Formosa that I'm 100% positive didn't spring up in the last day or two and that is rarely empty. Yet, mysteriously, none of its contents can be found on the 3rd party site.

View attachment 20368

How does one explain this? I looked at the other vendors at this shop and was able to find their cheaper items on the search site (runed sashes, pads of the cu sidhe, etc.). And yet the 120 power scroll vendor's wares are NOT there. I doubt that anyone who plays UO these days is so dumb that they cannot figure out why. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure it out. Just look at what else is showing on the page of search results....
Quite possibly the guy hadn't refreshed the server before those had been placed on the vendor :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Just a comment on this one point.

In the EC most gumps, if not all, can be modded to improve the look and functionality. Look at what Pinco has done with the paperdoll stats sheet and the pet gumps. The current vendor search is useable (as tested on TC), it just looks ugly. So anyway, I do see hope for the vendor search UI.
I agree it could look better, But at this time I would rather them get it working and the look can always be changed later! cart horse thing

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Quite possibly the guy hadn't refreshed the server before those had been placed on the vendor :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ive seen him on the HK shards before checking venders and ive checked to see if the cheap 120 PS would come up on the sites and they never do.
we had a luna house on one of those shards and actually tracked it one week, it was very obvious when other items on the same vender would show up but the 120 PS would never show up and they just happened to be uber cheap ones too.

kongomongo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
But what really grinds me is the way the team wastes its precious time on things looking like not even 90% thought through. If the vendor search should really excel with the third party sites, there is a lot of effort to put into. While knowing there are already other things in the pipeline, I dont think this is going to happen. There will of course be minor changes to make it work. But for e.g. one other point mentioned here - the UI - i see no hope.
Remember Mesanna said she would like to have the vendor search on mobile phones? I think their solution to put the data in a separate database/system hints at it being available on other interfaces as well

PJay

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The third party sites run the service and created the databases why should they not benefit from there creation? If you'd asked yourself why they made the sites i think the easy answer is to make $$ so actually they didn't need to add a front end to their databases at all in someways im thankful they did and i will be when uo get this up and running because it will be of no use to be in the split seconds i need it.

In my opinion the primary reason for a Official UO search should be to shut down the sites which already exist. Even when they fix this search it will not shut the sites down so they will have failed.

The sites are way way more useful and easier to use than this poorly thought and implemented system.

Now if they developed this because of forum pressure we are all in trouble because there is an huge list of bugs to be fixed which are on the forums which are largely ignored.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Remember Mesanna said she would like to have the vendor search on mobile phones? I think their solution to put the data in a separate database/system hints at it being available on other interfaces as well
I would more than be content with a web-based search external to the game, very much like the illegal sites but genuinely trustworthy. It could be refreshed every, say, 15 minutes with minimal impact on server performance.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The third party sites run the service and created the databases why should they not benefit from there creation? If you'd asked yourself why they made the sites i think the easy answer is to make $$ so actually they didn't need to add a front end to their databases at all in someways im thankful they did and i will be when uo get this up and running because it will be of no use to be in the split seconds i need it.
Are you familiar with how they create their databases? They're employing illegal methods to gather the data.

PJay

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes i am aware and the UO team should also be aware which is why they should be creating a system which will render these sites useless.

I'm also aware of other illegal instances which also do not get fixed or acted on.

Like you say Zog it should be a web based query to the database created on the server on uo.com more functional faster minimal impact on game play and trustworthy. It would also mean multishard search's should be possible at anytime and any place.

If they went down this route third party sites are gone.

Last edited:

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Long story short Messana has to allow both the sale AND purchase of gold internal of the game to be able to shut those sites down. It really has to able to generate codes like the UO store for every item currently listed there and it has to work first time with no mistakes. Lastly it has to be able to run a close to real time listing for vendors with or without silly teleportation but with a simple UO map interface AND IT HAS TO GENERATE ACTUAL CASH FLOW.

A million other things would go far to make it work but since they didn't make an external website for what ever reason I fail to have high hopes of it doing the trick.

As a note to forum pressure that was just my speculation based upon a decade of playing the game and seeing the useless stuff forums have helped to add to the game.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IMO, the people who use the third party sites and know how the data is collected are pretty much saying "Cheating in UO is ok if it benefits me as long as I don´t have to do it myself".

It´s sad to see so many accept it.
I´ll just continue clicking vendors until the real UO search is up and running...

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its EAs / Mythics own fault for allowing the third party sites in the first place. They could have capitalized immensely from providing simple services like the the major search sites. But EA/Mythic CHOSE not to. and also chose not to prevent the scripting that makes those sites possible. those sites have been around what? 6 years now at least? And we just get a vendor search now, that, yes is outdated, but its a hard came to be "up to date" in code wise i guess. most will still use the third parties (ill be using both, just becuase the in game search finds the best prices, but the third parties are just SO much easier to use since its in a browser)

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I agree. If they don't want us to use another search mechanism that quickly allows us to compare prices across shards, then provide us with a search engine that allows us to quickly compare prices across shards, and I'll gladly use it. If that's what the developers are indeed working on, more power to them - I'll use it when it's working.

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't blame them for anything. I think I know why they did what they did.

But... is it a game or is it a website?
Actually that whole vendor search feature, I mean the whole idea is much more like a website interface than... part of a game. It's missing kind of a gaming experience I expect from... well... a game (be it MMO or not, be it RP or not). The only part that reminds me I am using a game (and not just Firefox) is that grey map item we get. Sadly, though, looking at the whole concept - even the map seems obsolete to me. They could have just added one more button to the grey page instead and skip the map. I won't bother with that map much, I guess. After all a map is a very simple item and won't create enough of an atmosphere which I desire.

Gaming experience?
In a game it would make more sense to have NPCs to interact with you - not a "website". A fairy (or even an orc) should lead me to my destination. I don't want to see that much of a "beauty of gray and boxes". Instead it would make more sense to interact with NPCs: A fairy with magery abilities, a fairy who can open a moongate. (Leading to a vendor) If not a fairy - maybe a "librarian" or an orc mage. Any NPC. Even a crystal ball to interact with would create more 'atmosphere'. One that you need to talk to to get what you desire. I agree if done wrong this could be tedious and cumbersome. It does not necessarily need to be tedious. A simple but great design should - theoretically - be possible IMHO.
There'd be a lot of more options to make it feel more like a game and less than a website. No offense meant! But I am sad the opportunity to create a fantastic new thing has not been taken. In a few weeks we probably use it every day (I might, too) and it will become a normal part of UO and we won't talk about it much any longer. But it won't be a new kind of gaming experience that has been brought to UO. Instead it will be a website-like interface, a UI, a grey rectangle. It won't feel like a game.

If you don't like NPCs, ok. But I am sure there would be other ideas that would be more atmospheric than clicking a menu item on your character doll's mouse menu. One more idea: Those search categories (misc., skills 1-5, fencing, swords, fire damage, etc. etc.) could be resembled by pillars. Pillars that are placed in a city and accessible by anyone. You could turn them "on" or "off" like that greyish menu and basically it would trigger the very same search capabilities. But at least you'd be interacting with UO world objects and not just click buttons on a website. If pillars are bad, you could use books. One book per category. Books that are locked down in a public spot - or books that you loot from monsters.

Even if everybody thinks all of my ideas are really bad... I don't think implanting a website into UO adds much to the gaming atmosphere. A plethora of greyness, of buttons and filters and input boxes. Disclaimer: I don't want to discuss my ideas of NPCs or pillars. I know a lot of people won't like them at all. My point is simply: I want to play a game. I don't want a website within UO.

The fact that it does not work properly yet will all be forgiven soon. They'll get it to work, I am sure. Seems like a case of "released just a few days too early". Good luck fixing it! I hope upcoming weekend will be less stressful so you can relax some.

Just started rereading this thread to catch up with the vendor search not working and I love this idea. I wouldn't have thought of it myself, but you are 100% correct. An opportunity lost.

I am sure many agree with you that they'd prefer the vendor search be melded using existing items/npcs/interactions other than it just being a big gray rectangle that takes up most of the screen.

But we all know that new ideas in UO take many many years to be implemented, and we are too close now to start all over from the beginning.

Hopefully it is something that they can do at a later date however.

I wish Broadsword would think +10 to every idea they choose to include in UO.

Easter bunnys cute, marshmallow ducks cute, named for cities rather than staff or players, cute.

But how about pushing the envelope as far as possible?

I said it before here and ingame; would be nice if our skin became the color of the marshmallow duck, let the easter bunny do a random hop when locked down (random like the Infested tree bug), heck, rip the bunnies to bits and give it to us in pieces so we can collect and patch together using crafting skills...

I realize our characters can't turn blue and puff up into fat balls and float away like oompa loompas when they eat a blue marshmallow duckling, but come on, take it to the limit of what CAN be done.

I also have been playing long enough to know that EA really has a barebones budget when it comes to UO, we are probably lucky to get what we do.

At this point in vendor search issues land I'm having serious doubts that Broadsword has more than 2 staff members, the guy whose name is on the studio, I don't even recall what it was, and of course the person who put the Broadsword plaques up by hand...

Gedgerez Tesherd

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Oddly enough I have been drastically busy irl, & SOMEHOW overlooked entirely that we were receiving an in game search. In all of these years I have yet to desire a purpose to search for what I cannot obtain from the following: crafting, gathering/farming, travel via footsteps/recall to vendor shops, contact with friends, global chat & forum advertising. If none of the above I describe assist me, then I make due that of which I cannot obtain. I can see the obvious benefits of in game features lightening the load for quality of life playability, but this load is my own to enjoy carrying manually as It were from the birth of UO. After reading through this forum, I can see how there was a lack of communication from the Devs to the concerning players which voiced their words here. Nonetheless, this search is a monumental new feature going on 17 years of nothing, so there has to be patients for Devs to troubleshoot potential problems with the implementation for this new in game 'luxury' & NOT necessity.

TLDR: It is not a question of waiting on the in game search, since the game itself is complacent without one. Please, Devs take all the time you need to fix what needs to be fixed. :thumbup:

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the midst of this increasingly strange debate, I missed the answer to the question of the week: Is this working yet?

If not, have they already been scared off by us to the point that they are back to not communicating? I hope not but I haven't seen any posts from them in awhile.

-Galen's player

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the midst of this increasingly strange debate, I missed the answer to the question of the week: Is this working yet?

If not, have they already been scared off by us to the point that they are back to not communicating? I hope not but I haven't seen any posts from them in awhile.

-Galen's player
No, it is not working.

And I really doubt it's fear they feel, more likely it's indifference.

swroberts

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They are not running into a single issue but around 25 issues. That being each database for each shard. On TC, they can reset everything and have a nice clean database to test the code....and surprisingly enough ...everything worked as advertised. All the other shards have in the neighborhood of 10-14 year old databases, although of the same construct...are individually unique. I would suspect, that each one of the databases have numerous corrupt portions of data that cause the search function to hang up. And since each of the 25 databases are unique, each having its own set of problems, there is no single cookie-cutter approach to resolve the issues. Someone will need to polish each database to get it to work....which has its own risks. How would you like to lose a 20 million gold item, because its data was deleted on a database repair. I may be way out in left field here, but I am sure I am pretty close to the problems they are seeing and why the long delay. They probably should have released it to one shard at a time, but that ship has sailed. They should just come out and say that this is more difficult to implement than originally anticipated, they are working through the issues and will provide updates as things progress. And to show their appreciation for our patience through this troubling time, SLITHERS FOR EVERYBODY.....

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I have tried numerous times this week and as long as I was waiting long enough (2 hours? 4 hours? I don't know!), if I was really patient enough, I did get my results. It doesn't seem to be broken, it seems to be a tad too slow. Long response times are not typical for corrupt portions of data IMHO. But! Of course I might be terribly wrong.

In related news: I have no need for even more slithers. I want a dread warhorse.

Rieley

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually if you happen to be a player who does not use the Forums you would be totally in the dark. The Official 'Herald' still only contains the original post from last Friday. Some new players must be wondering what has happened. Esp if they have been trying to use their new 'Vendor Search'.
This! I resent having to come read forums before, during, and after to play the game. Do other online games have their own form of communication? Why can't they use the log in screen where the heralds is?

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Well, it's been a week since we've heard anything. @Bleak, even it's not fixed yet, could we please at least get an update? Maybe even some info on what the problem(s) are, so we can stop speculating in the dark? :)

Brian

Voodoo Bad Mojo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
im gonna be Mr. Optimistic about the lack of comments from the Dev's and go on the assumption that they are so busy tracking down this problem that they haven't had time to come in here and placate us and tell us everything will be ok.

.... right?

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I must recommend to the team that they not allow our occasional lunacy to become an obstacle to the increased level of communication and regular updating of the main site that we've seen over the last few weeks.

I know "need" is a strong word in such a circumstance as this, but I'd argue that we really do "need" to know what's up with the vendor search.

-Galen's player

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally, I see it like this, we have waited 16 years for vendor search, I can wait another month for them to fix all the bugs :)

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally, I see it like this, we have waited 16 years for vendor search, I can wait another month for them to fix all the bugs :)
No offense Captain, but I don't think that is the issue here. The complete silence is the issue. (at least as far as I am concerned)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Origin was working last week. Now it is broken. That's not a good sign..... And how are people getting results hours later. Mine goes back to the search screen in a minute or less.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And how are people getting results hours later. Mine goes back to the search screen in a minute or less.
I've been wondering the same. Since the publish went world-wide and using the Classic Client, I always end up back at the search screen and have never had results come up on the screen at a later time. It would be interesting to know which client the people who are seeing long-delayed results are using and also where their character is located when they get the results. It seems like I read that someone was doing a champ spawn or some other kind of hunting when their results came up later. That kind of surprised me since the vendor search gumps seem to close automatically if you leave the house or guard zone limits. It seems very wonky if the feature is able to re-open itself when you're outside those locations to give you results.

swroberts

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't tried recently, but after selecting a test search for Ring with Faster Casting +1, it would go through the search process and return to the search screen with no results. Later on, while I was fighting a Macer in Blackthorn's dungeon...search results would pop up. The first time it was a panic to get the screens off. I went back to my house and tried again and the second time it occurred, I was in a better position to scroll through the results and it seemed to operate normally. I wasn't watching the time it took, but it was somewhere between 20-40 min. This was on catskills.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It seems very wonky if the feature is able to re-open itself when you're outside those locations to give you results.
You can also search in a safe place, recall to another place where the search is disabled (e.g. Luna) and the gump will pop up there again after the short timeout. However if you try to use the gump, it closes and states a message in your journal. So that seemed to be taken care of :)

E: Message is "Before you can use vendor search, you must be in a justice region or a safe logout location (such as ...)"

Cocaine1

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I trying Vendor search in Enhanced client EVERY day on DRF and Seige... and with the same result... so...

WHEN?!?!

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IMO, the people who use the third party sites and know how the data is collected are pretty much saying "Cheating in UO is ok if it benefits me as long as I don´t have to do it myself".

It´s sad to see so many accept it.
I´ll just continue clicking vendors until the real UO search is up and running...
That is one of the most asinine things I've seen on this board.

Guess you are going to stop buying clothes, gas and surfing the internet.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That is one of the most asinine things I've seen on this board.

Guess you are going to stop buying clothes, gas and stop surfing the internet.
Forced child labor made the internet!!! OMG

BetterThenYou

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I personally have gotten annoyed by 3rd party websites so let me tell you how to get rid of them.

First it is more than apparent the Dev team knows how to interrupt scripting with simple code changes that set every scripter back days.
We have seen these simple code changes before, we know they are not permanent solutions, but however we also know it would work if you stuck to it.

Solution implement 1 anti script code change 1 time per week for the next year.
This will chase every scripter in UO out, no one will use search sites ever again (as it wont be worth the effort).

This is by far the easiest solution with the largest punishment setting on the cheaters.
DO NOT believe this is an enormous code change IT ISNT, it is closer to changing a few lines of code that have already been identified and changed regularly.