• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Vendor Search Issues

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Game
2014 Mar 21 14:48 GMT
Greetings Everyone,

We are aware of the time out issues with Vendor Search and we working to resolve the issue. We should have Vendor Search up and running no later than 10 am EDT tomorrow morning. Thank you for your patience with us.

We appreciate any feedback you may have with this system, please email [email protected].

Thank you,
UO Team

Continue reading...

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Thank you for letting us know!

Nothing like being in touch with the players ;)

I can assure you the community feels the concern to keep it informed and appreciates it!

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
every Game I play has this kind of thing happen STO,ESO,Neverwinter etc its not just UO

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
It's a first for UO - a public database. Plus, they made it more than just a basic keyword search engine. I think most people can see the promise, and accept that for such a large addition, and a first-time-doing-this type of thing, it was going to have some issues at launch. That Bleak and the other devs were so active in the other News thread yesterday, then this news post today, is *huge* in terms of player communication. We've all seen the times in the past where it felt like we were dealing with just a black box - witness the recent Atlantic problems. If this is a sense of how communication will happen in the future, when there are problems, then the future looks bright. It's only when we can all see that there are problems, and we're hearing nothing, that the public freakouts seem to happen.

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With a little over an hour to go before another "no later than" deadline for a functional vendor search... I can't help but wonder if all the "wow, awesome communication" posts somehow jinxed this. lol

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well, 'should have' isn't the same as 'will have' is it? Maybe they should have added 'barring unforseen circumstances'.

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well, 'should have' isn't the same as 'will have' is it? Maybe they should have added 'barring unforseen circumstances'.
lol, please, don't bring this down to semantics... and FYI i was just able to select vendor search and it is still "functioning" the same as it was after the patch.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*looks inside coffee mug* Ayup, half full. Is yours half full or half empty?
Ya'all are awesome whether your mug is half full or half empty. :lick:

Last edited:

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I just tried the Vendor Search on various shards and it still is not working.

I can make a search query, but I come up with no results no matter what I enter as the item searched.

T

Tazar

Patience is a virtue.

The team has probably been up all night working on this and smacking them because they've gone the extra mile to get it going just strikes me as really bad. The post said "Should be". This is not a hard deadline by any means and taking it as such is exactly why we've gone through so much time over the years with so little communication. Personally - I'd rather have information than silence.

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Could someone please post here when they get it to work for them, so I can stop checking. Thank you very much!

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Strange, I just tried a vendor search and it worked just like it has for the last near decade.....how odd.

Fogsbane

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Out of a dozen attempts, I have had two successful return of search results (on Siege Perilous).

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well normally, I don't think EA works on the weekend...I mean, the UO guys--so, anything they do on the weekend is bonus for us, lol...so I'm not too pooped. besides, I used it on Origin when it came out and that helped a lot :) got me a nice weapon and some good armor

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Vendor search worked great on Origin. I am confident the developers can make this work for all shards.

Winter

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
well normally, I don't think EA works on the weekend...I mean, the UO guys--so, anything they do on the weekend is bonus for us, lol...so I'm not too pooped. besides, I used it on Origin when it came out and that helped a lot :) got me a nice weapon and some good armor
Hey, I'm glad the developers are working overtime on the weekend to get this issue fixed. BUT, there is a reason you don't push publishes on Friday!

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When i see this UI, I start wondering if I would like to have theese people do any sort of new/streamlined/whatever client at all. We EC people love that client for a reason. What a beauty of gray and boxes.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
When i see this UI, I start wondering if I would like to have theese people do any sort of new/streamlined/whatever client at all. We EC people love that client for a reason. What a beauty of gray and boxes.
I don't blame them for anything. I think I know why they did what they did.

But... is it a game or is it a website?
Actually that whole vendor search feature, I mean the whole idea is much more like a website interface than... part of a game. It's missing kind of a gaming experience I expect from... well... a game (be it MMO or not, be it RP or not). The only part that reminds me I am using a game (and not just Firefox) is that grey map item we get. Sadly, though, looking at the whole concept - even the map seems obsolete to me. They could have just added one more button to the grey page instead and skip the map. I won't bother with that map much, I guess. After all a map is a very simple item and won't create enough of an atmosphere which I desire.

Gaming experience?
In a game it would make more sense to have NPCs to interact with you - not a "website". A fairy (or even an orc) should lead me to my destination. I don't want to see that much of a "beauty of gray and boxes". Instead it would make more sense to interact with NPCs: A fairy with magery abilities, a fairy who can open a moongate. (Leading to a vendor) If not a fairy - maybe a "librarian" or an orc mage. Any NPC. Even a crystal ball to interact with would create more 'atmosphere'. One that you need to talk to to get what you desire. I agree if done wrong this could be tedious and cumbersome. It does not necessarily need to be tedious. A simple but great design should - theoretically - be possible IMHO.
There'd be a lot of more options to make it feel more like a game and less than a website. No offense meant! But I am sad the opportunity to create a fantastic new thing has not been taken. In a few weeks we probably use it every day (I might, too) and it will become a normal part of UO and we won't talk about it much any longer. But it won't be a new kind of gaming experience that has been brought to UO. Instead it will be a website-like interface, a UI, a grey rectangle. It won't feel like a game.

If you don't like NPCs, ok. But I am sure there would be other ideas that would be more atmospheric than clicking a menu item on your character doll's mouse menu. One more idea: Those search categories (misc., skills 1-5, fencing, swords, fire damage, etc. etc.) could be resembled by pillars. Pillars that are placed in a city and accessible by anyone. You could turn them "on" or "off" like that greyish menu and basically it would trigger the very same search capabilities. But at least you'd be interacting with UO world objects and not just click buttons on a website. If pillars are bad, you could use books. One book per category. Books that are locked down in a public spot - or books that you loot from monsters.

Even if everybody thinks all of my ideas are really bad... I don't think implanting a website into UO adds much to the gaming atmosphere. A plethora of greyness, of buttons and filters and input boxes. Disclaimer: I don't want to discuss my ideas of NPCs or pillars. I know a lot of people won't like them at all. My point is simply: I want to play a game. I don't want a website within UO.

The fact that it does not work properly yet will all be forgiven soon. They'll get it to work, I am sure. Seems like a case of "released just a few days too early". Good luck fixing it! I hope upcoming weekend will be less stressful so you can relax some.

Sinful Obsession

Lady Holiday DeLight
Stratics Veteran
Ello all.. Not sure if anyone has had this problem but.. When I step on my house plot i can pick the vendor search (no it does not work) But when I step off my plot I can't even pick the vendor search. This is on Atl shard and I am in Malas. I try to go to Luna and try it, I can't even pick the vendor search. I even try going on someone else house in Luna! *shakes head*

kongomongo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Ello all.. Not sure if anyone has had this problem but.. When I step on my house plot i can pick the vendor search (no it does not work) But when I step off my plot I can't even pick the vendor search. This is on Atl shard and I am in Malas. I try to go to Luna and try it, I can't even pick the vendor search. I even try going on someone else house in Luna! *shakes head*
Check the docs, Vendor Search only works in a safe log-out location

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Check the docs, Vendor Search only works in a safe log-out location
It will also work when you're inside a justice region, i.e., a guard zone. So you can use it standing at a bank, but not in Buc's Den (even Trammel side) because there's no guard zone.

For anyone just trying it out now, if the Vendor Search option is grayed out on your character's context menu, you need to move to a guard zone or to a house where your character is an owner, co-owner, or friend. (Or the dev team has temporarily made the whole thing nonfunctional!)

When the publish was only active on Origin and Izumo, I was able to use the vendor search feature at home and while standing outside of a vendor's house in New Magincia. Since it went worldwide, I've been able to use it (albeit with no results provided) standing at banks in various towns, but not at the Buc's bank. It's acted a little wonky at times with being available at a house where my character is a co-owner or friend (i.e., sometimes it's available and sometimes the option is grayed out), but I tend to think that's a lag issue OR could be because my last, failed search attempt is somehow still being processed.

Last edited:

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
It's occurred to me, esp when I was still able to use vendor search on Izumo, that there is one important thing missing from the maps. As you say, search only works from a safe area. So I was tending to do searches in bulk from Luna, then going out to the various vendor results. But there's nothing on the maps to indicate what the search was. It'd be really nice if the search parameters were indicated on the maps in a multi-line note attribute (like the note with the item list on those pink scavenger books).

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's occurred to me, esp when I was still able to use vendor search on Izumo, that there is one important thing missing from the maps. As you say, search only works from a safe area. So I was tending to do searches in bulk from Luna, then going out to the various vendor results. But there's nothing on the maps to indicate what the search was. It'd be really nice if the search parameters were indicated on the maps in a multi-line note attribute (like the note with the item list on those pink scavenger books).
I discovered when the vendor search was active on Origin that you could use the map's context menu, once you arrived at the vendor, to have it open the container that contained the item you selected from the search results list to make the map.

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have not been able work with the search feature yet. I have a question, is the search engine a word search like google? If I type in "chair" will all items with chair in the name show up, and then can I type in "stone" to narrow the search?

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It seems like the same ole same ole when it comes to publishes under EA. Test Center, Origin, and a Publish that is riddled with bugs. Seems like things are rushed by some big wig to meet a time window.

If I took this approach in my wordpress plugins I would be out of business with tons of angry customers and affiliates who would drop me like a hot rock. Product quality and customer support should be the top of any product or service marketer.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was able to use vendor search outside a log out area. Seems like this whole feature is bugged. Please stop pushing through publishes before they are ready. Starting to resemble EA/Mythic

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So this is still obviously NOT fixed. Any news on when it will be? Yesterday took me over 2 hours to get the result of ONE search, have tested it again today and yet again am still waiting for a result. Been waiting over a hour now so am gonna log out and not bother. It should take 'SECONDS' not HOURS.

swroberts

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On Cats, the result is also 20-30 min delayed...and I was doing a test search for a ring with faster Casting of 1. Results did come, although I was fighting a Champion at the time abd it took up the whole screen.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As much as I like the vendor search function I still find it easier to browse using a certain website. Wonder if they have any plans to bring out a website search facility.