• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Tears of the Ice Dragon

Lord Telchar

Adventurer
I think the point being made is there are better pets for pet damage alone. The cu is being used to tank so massive player spell damage can land.
He was saying no one can come close with the damage he's doing together with his CU, but his cu is doing 49 damage only so i think the point is there are better pets with high cold resist AND can deal better damage. cu's max cold resist is 85 and you can train any pet to 80 so it's just 5 points difference anyway if you just want a tank.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My Paladin kills everything there. Sampires on LS kill them also. The shard where I am collecting artisan gifts is bragging about using their frost dragons and frost mites in Ice.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Really? Ya think so?

Then explain why I have 50 drops so far... and I have not even hit the content that hard yet. I have been bank sitting and not even on most of the day today.

Don't go assuming a temp is not effective unless you know how to play that temp... and unless you are able to lore the Cu doing the fighting.
Seen plenty of Cus in Ice Dungeon take forever to kill mobs compared to other pets. My Disco/Tamer uses a 120 Chiv+AI 100% Fire Crimson Drake in there, or a 120 Wrest Mastery Fire Beetle, and those pets far out damage any Cu in there. Was on my Macer/Paladin, watched a Cu fight a Para AOL for over a minute, before i decided to run in and redline the Para AOL within seconds, then i backed off and watched the Cu take 20 seconds to drop the Para AOL from redlined to dead. Was like watching molasses drip in winter, or paint dry.

White Wyrms have 80-90 Cold Resist, and 40-50 Energy Resist, yet 15-25 Fire Resist. Cus deal 30-40% damage against that. Fire Drakes/Fire Beetles deal 75-85% damage against that, more than twice as effective as a Cu.
AOLs have 60-70 Cold Resist, and 40-50 Energy Resist, but only -10 to 0 Fire Resist (yes, negative 10). Cu Sidhes deal 40-50% damage against that. Fire Drakes/Fire Beetles deal 100-110% damage against that. Once again, more than twice as effective as a Cu.
Ice Fiends have 60-70 Cold Resist, and 30-40 Energy Resist, yet 10-20 Fire Resist. Cus deal 45-55% damage against that. Fire Drakes/Fire Beetles deal 80-90% damage against that.
My Wrest Mastery Fire Beetle hits non-discoed AOLs for 110-156 a hit, and can triple hit them with Fists of Fury. My 120 Chiv+AI Fire Drake hits them for 200+ a hit during EoO.

Which is why I said it depends on your playstyle. I do not need a pet to do massive damage... that is what I am for. The pet is there simply as a meat shield, nothing more. :thumbup1:

I have seen Samps, Archers etc have to hit para snow elles 7-9 times while running off and hitting confidence/pot etc.. meanwhile I down then in 4-5 shots.

Para WW damage?
Any Samp hitting this?
View attachment 114460
Got you beat with a 120 Disco+CB Triton and a Death Ray Tamer/Mage ©. ;)
WW Damage.PNG

Chiv/Macers have no need to run from any of the mobs in there. Stagger. Delivers a -60% SSI debuff for 10 secs to the victim, completely neuters their melee damage output, and you can bandy heal through all of their damage then. With Double Strike, my Chiv/Macer can deal around 300-320 damage every 1.25 secs to a WW (Swords can deal even more with an Onslaught+DS, but they miss out on Stagger then). My Chiv/Macer butchers that place.

Last edited:

maxcapo

Visitor
i think...
until you get your book disarmed in pvp and you loose the 20 magery for 30-45 seconds, and loosing the EP and casting isn't a great deal
the book should of been a shield instead with SC , ep with 20 magery 3 fcr and 15 dci, similar version of hephaesteus but with 3 fcr instead of 1 fc would open alot of mage build by not needing 3fcr on jewel
ho well, i agree a shield'b be better!!!

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried a Sampire there... but nothing could touch the damage I get with me and my Cu :thumbup1:

Para Snow Elle
View attachment 114459
Hubby made me some new weapons. I took off necro, put on healing & am using all 100% fire damage weapons, with appropriate slayers. I got over 50 drops on the first day. Was barely there yesterday, got another 20. I'm happy with that. And for once, I'm building enough fame to start raising sacrifice again.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
We tried fel last night. The mobs were named but they were so few of then we had nothing to kill even faster. They never increased spawn rate. At lease if you are in the Fiend room in Tram alone, the spawn will get faster and faster as you kill stuff.

I'm on Baja Now but you wont trade any Artisan gifts with me so I can finally get a full set.
How am I supposed to trade Artisan Gifts with you when you don't have anything to trade for? I need mine on Origin and no one but me it seems is turning in BODs :(

I will have 12? on Baja, I missed Vesper :( but I will gladly give you any that you don't have when the time comes.

I guess since I'm in Fel by myself I don't notice the slower spawn rate of the mobs in there. I'm using my archer so I guess that's good for me because I have to run a lot lol.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I need the shield Sculpture, moon and skull pillows.

I have at least 40 things on Baja. I'm done with other shards, I gotta put BODs on the LS tree since they keep getting a star!

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I will do LS next. Funny how Atlantic claims to be the biggest most populated shard yet they can't seem to finish a tree.

Once the festival is over, if you don't have what you need on Baja..or LS we'll compare notes lol.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Ya who would think the market place would get free items to sell.

Oops I think she relied to me in the wrong thread.

Crafting is boring as heck though. I have all the crafting skills but that char is only played in a supporting role, these days basically for repair deeds :D

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
My thoughts exactly. Was hoping to buy the ones I am missing but I guess ATL isn't what it's cracked up to be ;)

And yes, some might think crafting is boring, but this is a once a year event so the items can be considered semi-rare ish.

Elessar

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
The way I look at it is this is my chance to help my server. People help me all year long, and I enjoy crafting in short spurts like this. I hit it hard for a few weeks, and a bunch of people benefit.

I'm seeing other people on LS do similar things. One player is hosting a get-together at Zento this Saturday with gifts and entertainment; another player is giving away dozens of 20-year anniversary tokens right now. It's very nice to see people being generous in different ways instead of just looking at every decision as "What good will this do for me?".

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You are in Tram or Fel?

I'm loving that it's in Fel, I have the whole dungeon to myself. I think I saw one person in Fel yesterday, today? Not a soul.....SO glad that people are still afraid of pixel death ;) I wouldn't attack anyone unless they attacked first but just the THOUGHT of going to Fel makes some people VERY nervous.

I was thinking about this about 2 hours ago when I was in Fel Ice on ATL and had it all to myself for the most part (one other blue). Everyone was so mad ToD wasn't in Fel and said it should be on every shard... they give it to them for this one and ATL Fel is quiet which most likely means that 90% of the other shards are empty in Fel. That said... this round of rewards isn't even close to ToD so maybe it's not worth it for people to even participate.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That said... this round of rewards isn't even close to ToD so maybe it's not worth it for people to even participate.
That's the reason and the fel spawn on LS is slower than the tram spawn with lots of players. Prime time there is hardly anything to kill on LS so far. I got a bunch of them addicted collecting Armor suits so many are doing it for some hedges and armor suits. Me included.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I was thinking about this about 2 hours ago when I was in Fel Ice on ATL and had it all to myself for the most part (one other blue).
Yeah, I went Fel side Atl for a little while. Drop rate did not seem much better, so was not worth the risk of them showing up.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
During Deceit the items started at 5M each on Atl. I don't know what these sell for but will the book ever sell for 100M? The Table legs 50M?

What are these drops selling for?

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
Umm all Cu s do 50% cold damage and 50% energy damage. You don't have to lore them to know that. But I have a tamer sitting at the front with a Triton that kills paragons. It also has 50% cold damage.

Those are definatly not the best pets to use.

I'm only up to 30 or so drops and have spent many hours there on my paladin who kills everything fast. I have an ice tali and fire slayers I had made the night before. I blame that on LS. We love killing stuff in groups so there is not a lot of stuff alive as you run around. You just see a lot of players running around.
How do you get a triton to deal 50% cold damage? All mine deal 50 phys, 50 energy.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How do you get a triton to deal 50% cold damage? All mine deal 50 phys, 50 energy.
Oopsy the other half of Cu damage sorry. I think of them as half Cu half Hiryu.

You beat K HAHA

Last edited:

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What are these drops selling for?
These drops are selling for right around where the ToD ended (2-2.5m per). I saw someone selling the spellbook for 225m. (on ATL shard)

Has anyone actually picked the table legs to see if they actually do something? I really think it's weird they are 50 points (second most expensive item) and would be exactly the same as the fishing one. I have 50 items on my toon now and went to go xfer to TC1 just to check them out without wasting the drops if the legs do nothing and I guess we aren't able to copy to TC1 (which seems like a common theme these days).

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
These drops are selling for right around where the ToD ended (2-2.5m per). I saw someone selling the spellbook for 225m. (on ATL shard)

Has anyone actually picked the table legs to see if they actually do something? I really think it's weird they are 50 points (second most expensive item) and would be exactly the same as the fishing one. I have 50 items on my toon now and went to go xfer to TC1 just to check them out without wasting the drops if the legs do nothing and I guess we aren't able to copy to TC1 (which seems like a common theme these days).
No one on my shard is asking to buy the rewards or the drops to complete a set, only one person has said they are buying drops for 1m each. I did however, sell an ice slayer spellbook for a very decent price (I have 4 extra). Deceit we had people buying everything right up to the last 1.5 weeks. Barely anyone seems to care. I am going to get 100 drops and hold them in case more rewards get added or someone wants to buy for better money.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Table Legs say this:
1607741037041.png

No other noise.
The Dragon tears make sound of dying Dragon when double clicked. A Beautiful sound!

So there ya go we got our holiday present....

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Table Legs say this:
View attachment 114512

No other noise.
The Dragon tears make sound of dying Dragon when double clicked. A Beautiful sound!

So there ya go we got our holiday present....
Please tell me there is just one thief name...

I don't want my pixel collection addiction to kick in and have 32 sets of unfinished table legs... :sad3:

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thanks @Pawain for posting that. Indeed very odd to add those as the second most expensive reward when they really do seem to just be a recycled decoration that can be fished up. I'd have expected these to be maybe 5 or 10 points (not 5 x 10).

Just when it seemed like Devs were starting to redeem themselves from Jan-Sep with the lack of content/rewards... they put this event out with some seriously head scratching rewards. I think this all goes back to testing (lack thereof); if they would have thrown this on TC1 they could have gotten some feedback (or at least fixed stupid issues like having a blank second page). Barring any unexpected drop into the game within the next 2-3 weeks; I'd have to say that 2020 seemed like a year the Devs kinda just mailed it in (outside of ToD).

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's the part that I hate, seems like they just push stuff now without even asking any feedback at all.
Same with all the new abilities the event bosses have , the fire dot on the ground and lightning force ability with that green wave that one shot everything even 1000 hp pets included. Like who the hell asked for this ? You never asked anyone to put this stuff in the game or any feedback or tuning. My pet all 120s with 1000 hp shouldnt die in 2 seconds to a ****ty abilitity from a boss in a super laggy event.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's the part that I hate, seems like they just push stuff now without even asking any feedback at all.
Same with all the new abilities the event bosses have , the fire dot on the ground and lightning force ability with that green wave that one shot everything even 1000 hp pets included. Like who the hell asked for this ? You never asked anyone to put this stuff in the game or any feedback or tuning. My pet all 120s with 1000 hp shouldnt die in 2 seconds to a ****ty abilitity from a boss in a super laggy event.
Sounds like Zipactriotl's "Mana Burn" ability. It deals damage based on current Mana, so pets with very large Mana pools take an immense amount of damage from it, even being 1 shot. Some EMs like to use that on their bosses. One of the many reasons i don't take my pets much past 150 Mana.

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The spellbook reward is shard bound, just to let everybody know. Very disappointing. Wish they went down the account bound road to prevent RMT and farming.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sounds like Zipactriotl's "Mana Burn" ability. It deals damage based on current Mana, so pets with very large Mana pools take an immense amount of damage from it, even being 1 shot. Some EMs like to use that on their bosses. One of the many reasons i don't take my pets much past 150 Mana.
The shard hoppers complain because we are mostly tamers on LS so the EMs have used it often. It just kills all pets and players close to the boss. Mana doesn't matter. The graphic is not big enough for me to see it coming. Now they are into using a Medusa based boss that makes evil twins of pets and players who don't have Gorgon Lens charges.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The spellbook reward is shard bound, just to let everybody know. Very disappointing. Wish they went down the account bound road to prevent RMT and farming.

That is really jacked up.. I mean it does not say Shard Bound on the menu?

Only the legs say that... another F-up by the "team".. smdh Untitled.jpg

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All the rewards are shard bound.

The devs have stated that rewards from these types of events will all be shard bound from now on.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards

The devs have stated that rewards from these types of events will all be shard bound from now on.
I get that.. but if that is the case they should reflect that in the menu to claim the reward. Misleading to not do that. A lot of folks never hit the forums (here or the 'official ones") and seldom read the newsletter either. A lot of folks get informed on the ongoing event in gen chat on Atl.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*deletes comment about Atl gen chat making a clogged sewer seem the height of cleanliness* :devil:

I'm not minimizing the...er...disappointments...of this event *glares at the table legs* This should just have been expected.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I experienced this on with The Guide on a few shards. A 700-hp cu sidhe could die in two hits, and I could swear I saw one instant death.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I experienced this on with The Guide on a few shards. A 700-hp cu sidhe could die in two hits, and I could swear I saw one instant death.
Shards have different versions of The Guide. I know one shard has an insta kill that she uses for a pet or player. It did not give the Zippy spell effect tho. The devs are testing their arensals.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Agreed they said that these event drops would be shard bound but I believe they also said that the menu not showing "shard bound" was an error and that they would fix it going forward (this was for Treasure of Deceit). I'd have expected this would have at least been resolved for the ice event....then again it seems like fixing the displaying of names is a large undertaking (cough--glorious potion--cough).

I would say this goes back to TC1 never getting these drops but from what I've seen when bugs are reported there (transmog potion was the latest) they still don't fix them. I'm wondering if Misk is even on the payroll at this point...

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agreed they said that these event drops would be shard bound but I believe they also said that the menu not showing "shard bound" was an error and that they would fix it going forward (this was for Treasure of Deceit). I'd have expected this would have at least been resolved for the ice event....then again it seems like fixing the displaying of names is a large undertaking (cough--glorious potion--cough).

I would say this goes back to TC1 never getting these drops but from what I've seen when bugs are reported there (transmog potion was the latest) they still don't fix them. I'm wondering if Misk is even on the payroll at this point...
I could write a snag list longer than both of my arms put together. Starting with names and moving on from there...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Took many hours but I got a Garg suit. Cloth. I have the other type chest and legs. Arms are alluding me or I'd have all the basic garg pieces. I used my garg for hours, then another player helped me by letting me use his 2 thrower gargs following my Paladin to kill paras. A para WW was stuck on a bridge so we did not have to deal with WWs.

1609660892759.png

samaelmcgovern

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Here are my suits right now ... I'm one piece away for other 9 suits and I have 5 or 6 doubles on my vendor :/

I'm really starting to hate Ice .. I see para white wyrms everywhere :D :D

now, I traded already for the locket and the book and I have other 200 items to trade and around other 50 on the vendor ... until the rest of the items I need to complet all the sets maybe I'll have 1000 :D I have to think to a way to make the thing profitable ... what items do you think it's best to trade ? The single pieces are not selling that much on the vendor .. even considering that searching for them on VS requires some triks :/

ice-suits.jpg

samaelmcgovern

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Just getting VS to work takes some tricks... I am thinking about putting on a luck suit any time I go to use the pos and hope that works...
I feel your pain :) I play on Europa and VS is fast ;) The problem with Ice items is that when you search for Ice it shows everything because it searches for "prICE" :/
The trick with ice items is to search for the kind of armour and adding for example "bound" ... so, "bone bound" will show only shard bound bone armors, that are mostry "of the three" and Ice .. and so on ..

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just getting VS to work takes some tricks... I am thinking about putting on a luck suit any time I go to use the pos and hope that works...
It has the screwiest database query results I've ever seen. You can run the same search a few times, a few minutes apart. One will work, the next will not, the next will. Or it won't, it will, it won't. Actually, it's more like it won't, won't, won't, will, won't, won't, won't, won't, won't, won't.