• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Tears of the Ice Dragon

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What's not to get? If they actually played UO they would know you could get those from fishing... they could have at least colored them something different... but yeah... it's obvious that they don't play UO... or even know their game.
I can appreciate they're trying to push new content, but the overlap is already ridiculous, and they're coming up with new spawn ideas but now not enough rewards. The Deceit drops were great, even if shard-bound.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are the new ones shard bond artifacts and rewards?

Will be hard to complete on Atlantic small area lots of players. Reds will have field day in fel. At lest with the other was able to hide for a while until they could find you.

ultima2005

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I can appreciate they're trying to push new content, but the overlap is already ridiculous, and they're coming up with new spawn ideas but now not enough rewards. The Deceit drops were great, even if shard-bound.
Hahah. "There's not enough content! ...wait, now there's too much content!!!"

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hahah. "There's not enough content! ...wait, now there's too much content!!!"
I myself never said there wasn't enough. Now, taking all the different opinions as to "too little" and "too much," should there not be balance? It doesn't have to be a mathematical mean, just something sensible that we don't yet need a new scenario when people are still collecting Ilsh statues and doing Krampus runs (not everyone did it 100x last year). At the least, stretch out Ice for another month so that people don't feel a need to grind while they can.

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Has anybody gotten the locket of winter? Looks like a talisman to me that also summons a giant ice worm.

What is the cooldown timer for the giant ice worm summoning? How many minutes does it last? Has anybody animal lored the giant ice worm? Does the ice worm poison? And how many follower slots is it?

Might be a nice addition to 3-4 slot pets on tamers or to melee toons fighting mobs that do not switch targets, especially if it poisons.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Has anybody gotten the locket of winter? Looks like a talisman to me that also summons a giant ice worm.

What is the cooldown timer for the giant ice worm summoning? How many minutes does it last? Has anybody animal lored the giant ice worm? Does the ice worm poison? And how many follower slots is it?

Might be a nice addition to 3-4 slot pets on tamers or to melee toons fighting mobs that do not switch targets, especially if it poisons.
I'm sure its just like the summoning creature talismans we already have, No taming needed, cant control it, and a really long cool down.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
i was hoping there was a book, like last time.
One that tells the story of the event.

I'm wondering if the table legs will have a pop up, when clicked on.

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event is meh. Ice dungeon during the daytime when only 7 players were on, was hard to find significant amount of mobs. Prime time will be boring as crap. The snow capped hedges are nice deco. The spell book would be nice for my crafter. Loot overall is disappointing or crap as noted already. I actually do not mind so much that this event is not very good. I personally need a break from staying up all hrs doing events. As long as the next one is good.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yup I figured a book and more slayer 30 books for those that missed invasions.

And more random deco things. But the Hedges are sweeeeeet!

The Black Smith

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
It is clear the developers do not PvP. The spellbook has 2 useless properties, faster casting and fast cast recovery. A mage can’t build this into their suit because the spell book gets disarmed and would leave you with faster casting 1/3 (of 2/6)
Arguably they’re all pretty useless mods due to the vulnerability of disarm, but the faster casting is really very very bad.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
It is clear the developers do not PvP. The spellbook has 2 useless properties, faster casting and fast cast recovery. A mage can’t build this into their suit because the spell book gets disarmed and would leave you with faster casting 1/3 (of 2/6)
Arguably they’re all pretty useless mods due to the vulnerability of disarm, but the faster casting is really very very bad.
Maybe they put this one in there for PvM folks and not the PvP crowd. :thumbup1:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually, the spellbook is great for equipping your Crafter mule. It gives them better defensive and offensive abilities (especially if they cast summons and chuck potions to get a character-specific reward, like in the event a few months ago where it was 1 reward per character). AND, it gives them 5 points of Magery over the ToT Tome, for purposes of crafting certain add-ons, that you can then put somewhere else.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know it's only been a day. But does anyone have any more info on the items yet?

Any sounds or animations when clicked? Everything shard bound again?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I know it's only been a day. But does anyone have any more info on the items yet?

Any sounds or animations when clicked? Everything shard bound again?

Locket Of Winter is pretty straight forward. Summons a Giant Ice Worm (normally gotten by planting a green thorn in the snow) and has an 1800 second recharge timer. Take the talisman off, put in pack, then back on and the 1800 second timer starts back off at 1800 again.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lamest bunch of rewards yet. The spell book is soso, as someone else said. I will get one for my crafter for the 20 magery. With the other 50 sdi and 30 sdi slayer books 15 sdi rules it out for pretty much every serious mage unless they are desperate for the 3 fcr.

Seraphina_152

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Lamest bunch of rewards yet. The spell book is soso, as someone else said. I will get one for my crafter for the 20 magery. With the other 50 sdi and 30 sdi slayer books 15 sdi rules it out for pretty much every serious mage unless they are desperate for the 3 fcr.
I think it's perfectly ok for events to not always have super high-end must get items. Not every player in this game has access to the high-end stuff already. On Catskills those 50 sdi books are 30+ million and the 30 sdi+slayer books are 100+ million. This book is perfectly acceptable for someone in the process of gearing out a character who doesn't already have 100s of millions of gold or a maxed out sampire or whatever and thats ok lol.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
A lot of folks: It is too difficult to gear new players, that is why the player base is dying. The Devs should do something about that.

Devs: Makes it easier to gear new players with a 1/3 book.

Same folks: This reward is trash

Me: :coco:

maxcapo

Visitor
i'd like to get one... sure i dont, but i dont think its a crap book! ok the book have only 15 sdi, but have 20 magery and enanche pot too.. which make it good for pvp

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Tried it for 30 min , killing 6 ogre lords dozens of ratman, some ooze, and help slay ww paragon

0 drops

F this, going to do other things lol

samaelmcgovern

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Agree .. the drop rate is meh, expecially considering the small window we have until the end of the event :/

I'm not really interested to the rewards but I'd like to collect some full sets of armors ... and with this rate it will take ALOT ... I was there for maybe 7 hours killing like there's no tomorrow and got 35 drops, mostly weapons :(

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
This could also be a cool champ spawn
Tear of ice dragon talisman

Tear of the dragon is not a talisman. It is deco that sits in the floor. When you double click it, it make a dragon type sound.

The talisman is the Locket of Winter.

Talisman is on top, Tear of Ice Dragon on bottom.

Untitled.png

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i'd like to get one... sure i dont, but i dont think its a crap book! ok the book have only 15 sdi, but have 20 magery and enanche pot too.. which make it good for pvp
until you get your book disarmed in pvp and you loose the 20 magery for 30-45 seconds, and loosing the EP and casting isn't a great deal
the book should of been a shield instead with SC , ep with 20 magery 3 fcr and 15 dci, similar version of hephaesteus but with 3 fcr instead of 1 fc would open alot of mage build by not needing 3fcr on jewel

Last edited:

Jepeth

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
That is a small window when people are likely to be away and/or occupied with the holidays for 2-3ish weeks.

Deschet

Journeyman
Window seems right to me, especially considering the most expensive reward is only 100 drops (in lieu of 250 in Deceit).

Heck, samael got 35 drops in a day, and Pawain has a full suit already. Should be able to grab the rewards we want with a little work.

samaelmcgovern

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I'm at 40 atm :) Some minuets ago I got 3 in a row in the ratmen room :O Pawain got the suite I want the most, but dropped the gorget only :/ :D

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Tried it for 30 min , killing 6 ogre lords dozens of ratman, some ooze, and help slay ww paragon

0 drops

F this, going to do other things lol
The drop rate sucks if you're using a Cu Sidhe. They deal 50% Cold Damage, which the mobs in this spawn are highly resistant to, so watching a Cu Sidhe kill a Para AOL is like watching molasses drip in winter. Chiv Fire Drakes and Wrest Mastery Fire Beetles fare MUCH better. My Macer/Paladin did an hour of Ice, and got 20 drops.

Last edited:

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The drop rate sucks if you're using a Cu Sidhe. They deal 50% Cold Damage, which the mobs in this spawn are highly resistant to, so watching a Cu Sidhe kill a Para AOL is like watching molasses drop in winter. Chiv Fire Drakes and Wrest Mastery Fire Beetles fare MUCH better. My Macer/Paladin did an hour of Ice, and got 20 drops.
Really? Ya think so?

Then explain why I have 50 drops so far... and I have not even hit the content that hard yet. I have been bank sitting and not even on most of the day today.

Don't go assuming a temp is not effective unless you know how to play that temp... and unless you are able to lore the Cu doing the fighting.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Umm all Cu s do 50% cold damage and 50% energy damage. You don't have to lore them to know that. But I have a tamer sitting at the front with a Triton that kills paragons. It also has 50% cold damage.

Those are definatly not the best pets to use.

I'm only up to 30 or so drops and have spent many hours there on my paladin who kills everything fast. I have an ice tali and fire slayers I had made the night before. I blame that on LS. We love killing stuff in groups so there is not a lot of stuff alive as you run around. You just see a lot of players running around.

Elessar

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Yeah, I've spent a couple hours there, and have 15 drops so far. There are more players than alive monsters during prime time on LS.

Just for reference, this is on a character that farmed over 600 drops at Deceit. I kill fast. There just isn't enough to kill, and it feels like the drop rate is lower. I have already lost interest in going there, sadly. I hope to get a book, and yet don't have the stomach to run up and down mostly-empty hallways for another 10-12 hours to get one. So hopefully the drops "drop" in price and I can just buy a few books for my tamer/mages. They're better than any spellbooks I own, so they'd be a minor upgrade.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL but El is still there. I just made a pass. I zigzagged thru the whole first floor. I killed 1 Para ogre, 1 Ogre, 1 Drake, 1 Ratman. lol

The fiend room had 3 camping it.

LOL I was standing alone in the dungeon typing the above, I looked up and a para WW spawned on me. Bout half way thru 4 others showed up to help kill it.

But I love LS drops or no.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
You are in Tram or Fel?

I'm loving that it's in Fel, I have the whole dungeon to myself. I think I saw one person in Fel yesterday, today? Not a soul.....SO glad that people are still afraid of pixel death ;) I wouldn't attack anyone unless they attacked first but just the THOUGHT of going to Fel makes some people VERY nervous.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Umm all Cu s do 50% cold damage and 50% energy damage. You don't have to lore them to know that.
True, but that does not let a person know the specials etc on a Cu. There are a few that work there fairly well.

Those are definatly not the best pets to use.
This is an opinion and varies heavily on the players playstyle. I find my Cu (straight AI with legend wrestle) to be better than the Triton (125+ wrestle, WW, Goo).

If there were more spawn I would agree with you in a millisecond, but the spawn rate is so low and slow Cu is my go to there. Paras do not last long, but my playstyle is to be casting along side my Cu, not just watching it chomp.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hey if you want to use a 50% cold 50% energy weapon in Ice on your sampire, go ahead.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Hey if you want to use a 50% cold 50% energy weapon in Ice on your sampire, go ahead.
I tried a Sampire there... but nothing could touch the damage I get with me and my Cu :thumbup1:

Para Snow Elle
snow elemental.jpg

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You are in Tram or Fel?

I'm loving that it's in Fel, I have the whole dungeon to myself. I think I saw one person in Fel yesterday, today? Not a soul.....SO glad that people are still afraid of pixel death ;) I wouldn't attack anyone unless they attacked first but just the THOUGHT of going to Fel makes some people VERY nervous.
We tried fel last night. The mobs were named but they were so few of then we had nothing to kill even faster. They never increased spawn rate. At lease if you are in the Fiend room in Tram alone, the spawn will get faster and faster as you kill stuff.

I'm on Baja Now but you wont trade any Artisan gifts with me so I can finally get a full set.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I think the point being made is there are better pets for pet damage alone. The cu is being used to tank so massive player spell damage can land.

Which is why I said it depends on your playstyle. I do not need a pet to do massive damage... that is what I am for. The pet is there simply as a meat shield, nothing more. :thumbup1:

I have seen Samps, Archers etc have to hit para snow elles 7-9 times while running off and hitting confidence/pot etc.. meanwhile I down then in 4-5 shots.

Para WW damage?
Any Samp hitting this?
Untitled.jpg