• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 98 Comes to TC1

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
That's cause the CU is probably the worst pet to use against that particular mini-boss. He has 85+ cold resist and 95-100 energy resist, which is the damage type of the CU. Hes low in fire so using a fire beetle or fire steed is the way to go. I mean if your a tamer and your not loring the enemies your not doing it right! HeHeHe
actually the one i had the cold and fire where only a couple numbers different, not worth going out and changing pets over.
and he was disco'd too boot, which brought him down even further.
casting corpse skin on him was what started to make the HP tick off a lot faster.
but yes taking in a fire critter would be faster, but i was not about to go out and tame, train and level a pet on TC just for the sake of testing out this boss.... well not at 4am anyways.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix

Could the artifact price for the reward titles be lowered? Their 20/30/50 price is ridiculously steep compared to the Kotl event's 10 artifact price.

Also, killing the mini bosses should be a guaranteed drop of at least 1 artifact per person.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix

Could the artifact price for the reward titles be lowered? Their 20/30/50 price is ridiculously steep compared to the Kotl event's 10 artifact price.

Also, killing the mini bosses should be a guaranteed drop of at least 1 artifact per person.
No changes are planned for the cost of rewards based on the drop rates and the ability to spend previous Treasures of Halloween points. The mini and boss mobs give the most points, and the plethora of creatures give ample opportunities to roll for an artifact in addition to the points they award themselves. Don't forget luck also plays an influential roll in drop chance.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No changes are planned for the cost of rewards based on the drop rates and the ability to spend previous Treasures of Halloween points. The mini and boss mobs give the most points, and the plethora of creatures give ample opportunities to roll for an artifact in addition to the points they award themselves. Don't forget luck also plays an influential roll in drop chance.

Some of us don't have 24/7 to farm and don't have any previous crap..... so we are penalized for that... thanks.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Some of us don't have 24/7 to farm and don't have any previous crap..... so we are penalized for that... thanks.
You don't need to farm it 24/7. Drops ranged from 11-17 with a single run through before we upped the spawn.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You don't need to farm it 24/7. Drops ranged from 11-17 with a single run through before we upped the spawn.
*laughs* and you know my accounts are all negative on luck.... I'll be lucky to get 3 or 4.... On a good run.

Oh and that's "if" I can manage to stay logged in that whole time without crashing... and if I don't take 2 min to die every 10 min...

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
The drop rate is good..the artifact exchange rate is perfect don't touch it. I have 350 luck on my suit and get 10-15 drops per run..it's a WHOLE MONTH LONG people....you'll have time to get what you want.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is there a reason why the snowman is popping paragon like 90% of the time?? Ive seen 7 snowmen and 6 were paragon so far, is it bad RNG or something wrong? @Kyronix

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix Could you clarify the point system? I'm not too familiar with the Treasures events. I spent around ~2 hours in the Sorcerers Dungeon last night, killed 4-5 mini bosses and Jack, got 20 artifact drops, but when I talk to the researcher it shows my reward points as 0. I know I have to turn in the artifacts to get a point, but it also sounds like there is a non-artifact based point system for just doing the content? Thanks.
Sure. Behind the scenes, every time you kill a creature you get some points. The more points you have and based on your luck attribute you have a chance to get an artifact until you are guaranteed to get one. Once you have your artifact you can either keep it or visit the researcher to turn it in for other loot. There's a context menu option on the researcher to turn artifacts in if it doesn't automatically pop up when you approach him.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sure. Behind the scenes, every time you kill a creature you get some points. The more points you have and based on your luck attribute you have a chance to get an artifact until you are guaranteed to get one. Once you have your artifact you can either keep it or visit the researcher to turn it in for other loot. There's a context menu option on the researcher to turn artifacts in if it doesn't automatically pop up when you approach him.
Thank you!

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Presupposing people have a bunch of banked points is silly, as most people don't. I know nobody who has more then a few, but yes there is somebody on Stratics who claimed to have 1K+. Don't create content with that kind of statistical outlier in mind.

A grind mechanic really shouldn't be the go-to event system.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
The only artifact that I see having any issue is Jack’s Bag of Tricks. If you don't grab it right at the start of the month, it quickly becomes kind of pointless, Given that it's so pricy in points (75 points), unless you have points / stuff banked from past events, it'll take many of us a week or two to even hope for one. Could you consider leaving that one running until the xmas followup mini-publish (presumably some time towards the end of Nov)? That'd at least give folks a reason to still claim one even towards the end of October.

Oh, andboth with Doom and Sorcerer's items in my pack, I have yet to have any menu pop up. I've had to use the context menu each time.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Presupposing people have a bunch of banked points is silly, as most people don't. I know nobody who has more then a few, but yes there is somebody on Stratics who claimed to have 1K+. Don't create content with that kind of statistical outlier in mind.

What's been your drop to time ratio on TC1? What luck are you running?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What's been your drop to time ratio on TC1? What luck are you running?
I did two rooms by myself and came away with 5, but this was before you increased the spawn rate. Luck probably varied between 0 and 2410, depending on whether or not I was running out of mana :p

You might want to consider increasing the luck statue duration to something similar to a focus. Most people don't have super fancy luck suits.

I'm also in favor of increasing the duration of the event until the end of November to give people a good amount of time so they can do other things as well.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm also in favor of increasing the duration of the event until the end of November to give people a good amount of time so they can do other things as well.
Yes. there is part of the problem, there's a lot of happenings in a short time. people with a RL are gonna have issues getting it all done on their allotted playtime

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

not everyone goes out and blows all their points on stupid s*** - hehe

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For anyone who hasn't tried it: This thing is Fun, drops are frequent and the bosses only take forever if you're trying to solo them.
I've only spent a little time on it so far, RL has intervened, but I already have 25 arties - and lost 5 when everything crashed. (should have insured them!)
Don't diss it till you're tried it!

I've been doing some thinking about the Nightmare Fairy, I have a theory I'd like to run by you.
Does she really have all those skills on her Lore screen? Or are they potential skills depending on the skills of the people killing her? Is she a changelling 'borrowing' our, and our pets' skills? I noticed when I fought her, when I had her on low health there was a sound of potion drinking. It's a sound I've noticed from my Phoenix since I gave her magery mastery if her health falls really low. I got 'calmed', my tamer has peace, but I don't have spellweaving, and I didn't see the reaper form I noticed she used in one of the screenies here, nor did she use any necro spells.

Last edited:

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The only artifact that I see having any issue is Jack’s Bag of Tricks. If you don't grab it right at the start of the month, it quickly becomes kind of pointless, Given that it's so pricy in points (75 points), unless you have points / stuff banked from past events, it'll take many of us a week or two to even hope for one. Could you consider leaving that one running until the xmas followup mini-publish (presumably some time towards the end of Nov)? That'd at least give folks a reason to still claim one even towards the end of October.

Oh, andboth with Doom and Sorcerer's items in my pack, I have yet to have any menu pop up. I've had to use the context menu each time.
For its first release, I think we can do that with the Bag o' Tricks.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*laughs* and you know my accounts are all negative on luck.... I'll be lucky to get 3 or 4.... On a good run.

Oh and that's "if" I can manage to stay logged in that whole time without crashing... and if I don't take 2 min to die every 10 min...
the only thing negative about your accounts is, well, you. And your computer's specs.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No they aren't.
the only thing negative about your accounts is, well, you. And your computer's specs.
I've made and worn luck suits, used the luck statue, and only seen luck have any influence on finding niter, it has no noticeable effect on monster loot. Luck is one of those things they never got working as the years have gone by.

My accounts must all have negative luck as well if you actually see benefit from it and are not just :cheerleader:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've made and worn luck suits, used the luck statue, and only seen luck have any influence on finding niter, it has no noticeable effect on monster loot. Luck is one of those things they never got working as the years have gone by.

My accounts must all have negative luck as well if you actually see benefit from it and are not just :cheerleader:
You may want to look into considering the possibility that it's not the systems that are faulty, but your expectations and observations.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Like I've stated before..my suit, not a luck suit, just has randomly 350 luck on it and I get 10-15 drops per run. Kyronix said multiple times on Test that luck does factor into the drops but I don't have a luck suit to test.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You also you need to remember that when going in a group, the final boss kill takes a player at random to proc luck off of. So everyone you go with needs luck or you run the chance of getting no luck added cause of the one person that doesn't have it. Just a tip.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You also you need to remember that when going in a group, the final boss kill takes a player at random to proc luck off of. So everyone you go with needs luck or you run the chance of getting no luck added cause of the one person that doesn't have it. Just a tip.
Very true!

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play solo so it was always my luck suits the game was using.

You may want to look into considering the possibility that it's not the systems that are faulty, but your expectations and observations.
I made my living working and then running quality testing departments, my observations are likely good as a rule. My expectations were loot noticeably better when wearing 2.5k luck than when not wearing any luck at all. No noticeable difference in loot whatsoever.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I made my living working and then running quality testing departments, my observations are likely good as a rule.
Well let me ask, what do you expect luck to do for you, and at what rate? How would you measure it working correctly vs not working correctly? In what scenarios?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like I've stated before..my suit, not a luck suit, just has randomly 350 luck on it and I get 10-15 drops per run. Kyronix said multiple times on Test that luck does factor into the drops but I don't have a luck suit to test.
And even if it's a like... 20% boost at high levels people aren't going to be seeing a massive difference in one instance. That's like 12 rather than 10. Does that seem like it's a big deal? No, but run the room 10 times... that's 20 extra items. It adds up.

If the dude writing the code says it has an effect, I'm going to trust that it does. He has the actual information, we don't.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My expectations were loot noticeably better when wearing 2.5k luck than when not wearing any luck at all. No noticeable difference in loot whatsoever.
For the great unwashed (like me) translate this. with luck loot was better but you didnt notice any difference in loot... *scratches head*

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Spent an hour there on a 2020 luck tamer with a greater dragon. Two drops is not entertaining and very tedious on a tamer. Even with 120 taming and lore, pet just goes wandering. Telling pet to stop and follow doesn't work when it is pinned into a side room or narrow hall. Not being able to use a summoning ball there is a big handicap. Boss loot was worthless.

Mr Bug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Make a little shamrock icon pop up on the buff/debuff bar notifying you that luck influenced the outcome of an encounter. That way we would know it was actually working.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Make a little shamrock icon pop up on the buff/debuff bar notifying you that luck influenced the outcome of an encounter. That way we would know it was actually working.
Let us know luck is working via a noticeable improvement in the standard no luck loot due to our wearing luck.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You all know Luck whether it effects something is based on a few things... sometimes you get extra stuff in the corpse/chest... sometimes you get a bump in quality (this seems rare)... and so it's hard to say what it effected...it might mean you get +2 items... how would you know if generally a mob drops between 2 and 10 things and luck gave you +2 you get 4 items... you think..... Luck didn't work... but it did.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Luck has never worked in UO and the fact they even say they figured out how it was ment to work and repaired the code so it now "works as intended"......
They cannot code a "comma" into the trade window, what makes you think they could actually get a system like "luck" to work when it is 1000000X more complex than a pop-up window.

No, luck is still a broken system, they just gave up on it and now claim "it's working as intended".

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I thought one of Luck's major benefits was to decrease the chance of item penalty (weight,cursed, higher strength requirement and even brittle) and to be fair this aspect is fairly noticeable so imo working as intended.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Luck has never worked in UO and the fact they even say they figured out how it was ment to work and repaired the code so it now "works as intended"......
They cannot code a "comma" into the trade window, what makes you think they could actually get a system like "luck" to work when it is 1000000X more complex than a pop-up window.

No, luck is still a broken system, they just gave up on it and now claim "it's working as intended".
You have no proof that luck isn't working.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sure you could devise some tests with spreadsheets and mass data, if you were bored enough...

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All I can say is that we have done many tmaps, some with luck and some without. And it is common to get better, or more, stuff on the no luck chest. Luck might work in the sorcerors dungeon, but I can't tell it does crap on treasure map loot

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Like someone said, Luck makes a huge difference in Mining Niter.

The code works but for luck. They may use a multiplier of .00002 when the put it in the calculations.

For the great unwashed (like me) translate this. with luck loot was better but you didnt notice any difference in loot... *scratches head*
His Expectations of loot was high. Not the loot.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like someone said, Luck makes a huge difference in Mining Niter.

The code works but for luck. They may use a multiplier of .00002 when the put it in the calculations.

His Expectations of loot was high. Not the loot.
Hardly high, just something 'noticeably' better than no luck loot.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As I've said before, there are a number of calculations in the game that the Devs either think are additive, or stated them as to lead to people thinking they are additive - when in fact they are multiplicative.

This sucks when the bonus is a percentage.

(using numbers that don't actually represent an in-game percentage for the example)

Additive: 2% + a 3% bonus = 5%
Multiplicative: 2% with a 3% bonus = 2.06%

Zepheus

Visitor
@Kyronix

I have been playing UO since late 1998 and was also an Elder (part of the former discontinued volunteer programme), I remember the days when tamers were both respected and feared by players because it took so much effort to become a tamer let alone the endless hours it took to fully train a Greater Dragon. While I don't have any data with me to say whether pets' damage against players should be further reduced, based on my personal experience as a tamer I can tell you I get PK'ed a lot these days by warriors or mages when doing champ spawns in Fel. Now I'm not complaining about being PK'ed at all as I fully understand this is part of the game mechanics but what I do wish to voice out is warriors and mages no longer fear tamers, they don't even need to think twice before whacking a tamer. When a tamer has poured so many hours and effort into training taming, lore and vet skills as well as their pets and that they can only rely on their pets to protect and fight for them, is it fair to "balance" pets by having pets damage against players reduced to 50% and to have consume damage further capped (I must say I don't use consume damage anymore as I don't notice any significant differences and the mana drain is quite harsh)? I'm also baffled by the proposed change of having pet's direct damage linked to HP, so does that mean all I have to do is jack up all my pets' HP to the highest possible to do most damage? What about STR, DEX etc, do these states no longer play any parts in determining pets damage? Appreciate some clarifications please.

Thanks!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@Kyronix

I have been playing UO since late 1998 and was also an Elder (part of the former discontinued volunteer programme), I remember the days when tamers were both respected and feared by players because it took so much effort to become a tamer let alone the endless hours it took to fully train a Greater Dragon. While I don't have any data with me to say whether pets' damage against players should be further reduced, based on my personal experience as a tamer I can tell you I get PK'ed a lot these days by warriors or mages when doing champ spawns in Fel. Now I'm not complaining about being PK'ed at all as I fully understand this is part of the game mechanics but what I do wish to voice out is warriors and mages no longer fear tamers, they don't even need to think twice before whacking a tamer. When a tamer has poured so many hours and effort into training taming, lore and vet skills as well as their pets and that they can only rely on their pets to protect and fight for them, is it fair to "balance" pets by having pets damage against players reduced to 50% and to have consume damage further capped (I must say I don't use consume damage anymore as I don't notice any significant differences and the mana drain is quite harsh)? I'm also baffled by the proposed change of having pet's direct damage linked to HP, so does that mean all I have to do is jack up all my pets' HP to the highest possible to do most damage? What about STR, DEX etc, do these states no longer play any parts in determining pets damage? Appreciate some clarifications please.

Thanks!
Far as I'm concerned my guess is they don't want us doing anything in-game anymore as tamers but the roof... We can't do Doom anymore... Can't do Champ Spawns as we are a joke to all other templates like sitting ducks... that's how I feel as a tamer... may as well not bother.

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
@MalagAste you could tinker a super template relying on legendary artifacts + EC kit switching macro's but simple template/play style no question there are better builds to suit every kind of scenario. Taming should be a main contender alongside sampire/ABC and Magery/Necro/Mysticism templates but sadly besides necro pets being a bit annoying in pvp taming is the lazy man's way of killing paragon/high intensity drop mobs which is completely B tier PvM.

My mate's efforts years ago raising taming without a mythic token...he's still playing with me now and it's impossible to suggest to him different template options because those real skill taming/lore points are the most infuriating part of UO lvling system and it's a part of him as a player. The reward for this is laughably a slightly tankier pet, pointless.