• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 81 Updated on TC1

granthor

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Another new register here to say I will be allowing my subscription to expire if refinement is not removed. You guys are ramming it down everyones throats and I just don't have it in me to sit through stuff like this anymore, not after the way you ruined factions. Also all the stupid mage armor stuff and balanced weapons cant parry is a bad joke on top of a bad joke.

The city mayor stuff is ridiculous. I mean that's it?

Last edited:

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This exists in Trammel only.
Shouldn't the Commanding Lord of the True Britannnians who governs the whole of Felucca (or what the True Britannians are able to control) be included on the Council since he/she is elected in a similiar manner using rank instead of town loyalty and then voted in by the members of the Faction.

This will at least give a voice to the Feluccan Britannia - the actual place the Kingdom was founded.

-Lore's Player

PS: This might sound self serving (and it is in part) but I will not be able to remain Commanding Lord if it means swearing loyatly to a King who is against the Order and Timelord's Quest...... but I'd like that initial meeting to find out if that remains true before stepping down.

Last edited:

Kelly O'Brian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The looting rights threshold has been lowered for all mobs.
What does that mean? Dunno wether i didnt get it because of a lack of loot systems knowledge (sounds like technical terms) or simply of a lack of language familiarity (i am not a native Speaker). Please explain that to me in other words.

Last edited:

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What does that mean? Dunno wether i didnt get it because of a lack of loot systems knowledge (sounds like technical terms) or simply of a lack of language familiarity (i am not a native Speaker). Please explain that to me in other words.
I think it means you have more chance for looting right with less total damage if multiple peoples attack something. And i think that could result in higher chance of arty drops.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's an attempt to fix EM event mobs I'm sure.

It means you don't need to do as much damage to a mob to get looting rights on it, I believe right now you need to do 10% of the mobs max hp for rights.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thats what im saying... If you can reach 75 in all elemental resists with refinements while still getting 45 dci then whats the point in going stone form to get the extra resists (if you are still following me i'm saying there is NO point)?
it's supposed to be :

-1 max resist (a single resistance) +2 cap dci per modification
or
+1 cap resist (a single resistance) -2 cap dci per modification

so if you increase all resistances to 75, you should have a dci cap of -10% (if that's possible)
now you might be able to do something like, lower different resistances and increase fire... and maintain a decent amount of dci, but in pvp, I doubt it would be worth it, to use refinements and keep dci.

About the stoneform thing, It should bring all resistances to +5 above cap, if you're 120 mystic & focus/imbuing. (just another reason protection and stoneform shouldn't be able to stack)

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Kyronix,

seeing as though it will be possible for players to come up with stats and resists like cetric mentioned earlier giving a player "74 fire resist" and "45 defense chance increase". Has there been any thought on possibly upping the resists that stone form grants a player? As is it looks like stone form is taking a "nerf" by making evil omen reduce mysticim by I think 30 (if I read it right?). Why not up the resists while in stone form to 80 rather then 75 since players wil be able to reach 75 without even using stone form it will almost make stone form useless?
You are asking for a boost to stone form?

Are you serious?

In my example, the cursed char would have 58 cold/poison, it could be exploited, for instance, spell plague might hit one of those resists. hail storm and mind blast would do big dmg, and harm spam against a dexer would hurt a lot.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Another new register here to say I will be allowing my subscription to expire if refinement is not removed. You guys are ramming it down everyones throats and I just don't have it in me to sit through stuff like this anymore, not after the way you ruined factions. Also all the stupid mage armor stuff and balanced weapons cant parry is a bad joke on top of a bad joke.

Nobody is ramming anything down anybodies throat. If you don't like Refinements then do not use them and your suit will not change. PvPers will figure this all out and you will just pay someone to fix your Suits.
UO fixed an abused Faction Point System and took away the Arty Vending Machine, sorry if that ruined Factions for you.
Having Mage Armor on your gear just means it will act just like Leather and your gear will still be like it is now.
If Balance negates Parry on weapons then this should be fixed because this is the only valid thing you have said.
Copy your Char. to TC and see for yourself.

There are always a lot of OMGs as is the NORM when DEVs make changes to the system, but if you read the people that are testing this you will see that this is not all doom and gloom and the DEVs are talking to those players. They are asking for more info and giving feedback and believe it or not the DEVs have changed things. I remember all the same OMGs when Imbuing and Reforging came out and it did not take long for someone to post a "How To" and everything was fine after that, this will be no different.

granthor

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
UO fixed an abused Faction Point System and took away the Arty Vending Machine, sorry if that ruined Factions for you.
No, it totally made factions great and that's why it's the thriving system it is today. Way to go devs, thumbs up, you've totally earned the cred to tell us all to stick it when 99.9% of us hate Refinements more than AIDS.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No, it totally made factions great and that's why it's the thriving system it is today. Way to go devs, thumbs up, you've totally earned the cred to tell us all to stick it when 99.9% of us hate Refinements more than AIDS.
LOL, please tell me why you hate refinements

- You Don't have to use them, and it will not hurt you

- There is nothing now overpowering about them as there was

about my only complaint about them at the moment would be that there is still a lot of different resources to obtain to do them.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Factions were a joke and the only reason people were in them was the EASY point system and the Arty Vending Machine. %99.9 of UO does not hate Refinements. You have no clue how many people play UO compaired to UOStratics posters, UOStratics is a small part of the UO population. You also have no clue what the Asian players think about this, who prob make up more than %50 of the UO player base. And if you go look at the poll, %99.9 UOStratics do not hate this.

Do I understand all the Refinement stuff, NO. But the part I think I understand about it is that Refinements will not affect my play style at all and later on I may or may not use Refinements to tweak my suits that PUB 81 has in no way affected them. So please feal free to post yet another Whine I am QUITING UO without even testing something for yourself.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Late to the party, but some nice changes. 35% DCI reduction rather than 55% DCI reduction. Mage Armor property = 0 imbue weight. Dragon Armor can now be reforged even if Yellow Scales. Pet "rescue." I would still suggest 25% DCI scaling or less, but 35% is a lot better than 55%.

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Factions were a joke and the only reason people were in them was the EASY point system and the Arty Vending Machine. %99.9 of UO does not hate Refinements. You have no clue how many people play UO compaired to UOStratics posters, UOStratics is a small part of the UO population. You also have no clue what the Asian players think about this, who prob make up more than %50 of the UO player base. And if you go look at the poll, %99.9 UOStratics do not hate this.

Do I understand all the Refinement stuff, NO. But the part I think I understand about it is that Refinements will not affect my play style at all and later on I may or may not use Refinements to tweak my suits that PUB 81 has in no way affected them. So please feal free to post yet another Whine I am QUITING UO without even testing something for yourself.
nope only about 79 percent have voted no as of a few minutes ago. I have tested a few of the new changes and the feedback I gave has been ignored so why should I help test the rest when the DEV's will do as they like since "I am not the only one playing the game."
If a Developer really said this in game that is not a good sign ,in my opinion ,

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Two more questions for Kyronix:

Do we still need to have different types of refinement components for different types of armor? Now that we can specify the order in which we want to have the resist caps modified, do you really need to have separate components for studded leather vs. studded samurai armor vs. hide vs. bone? Or separate components for woodland armor vs. gargish stone armor? Or separate components for platemail armor vs. samurai platemail armor vs. gargish platemail armor vs. dragon armor vs. chainmail armor vs. ringmail armor?

Can't you make it so we just have the 5 levels of washes and cures for tailors to use on nonmeddable armor (studded, hide, and bone); 5 levels of gloss and varnish for carpenters to use on nonmeddable armor (woodland and stone); and 5 levels of scour and polish for the metal and dragon scale armor?

And can't you PLEASE make the components, the thread, the resin, and the plating stackable? Please, please?!?!

As it stands now, we're looking at 40 types of NON-STACKING lootable/stealable components to keep for tailoring , as well as 40 types of NON-STACKING washed and cured threads; 20 types of NON-STACKING lootable/stealable components to keep for carpentry/masonry and 20 types of NON-STACKING varnished and glazed resins; and 60 types of NON-STACKING lootable/stealable components to keep for blacksmithing as well as 60 types of NON-STACKING scoured and polished plating. We also have stock up on alloy, braid and flasks. That's 243 new types of items, and only 3 of them stack with each other. Only 3. It's insane from a storage perspective.

If you could eliminate the need to have a variety of types of lootable/stealable components and a variety of threads, resins, and plating to go with the various types of armors and make them stackable, then we'd only have to have 30 types of stackable lootable/stealable components, 30 types of stackable threads, resins, and plating, and 3 types of alloy, braid and flasks. We'd only have to allocate 63 storage slots, instead of an unlimited number. In addition, being able to stack the items would, I imagine, make them deedable and thus a much more attractive commodity for people to actually go out and try to acquire or to manufacture and then turn around and sell to fellow players. As it is, the nonstackable nature of these items and their huge diversity is going to make them unappealing to collect or sell.

Last edited:

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
flappy6 said:
so will tram brit and fel brit both have a gov?

This exists in Trammel only.
The "deal" is active in any and all facets ?
Yes, once you get the buff it stays with you everywhere you go.
OK..... so they way I read these Answers a RED (Murder) character will not be able to benefit from a Trade Deal? Is this correct? I'm aware of the city loyalty aspect required but I haven't used the system before so I was operating under the assumption that it was possible for a RED character to achieve the loyalty needed, but now that I read the quoted posts above it doesn't look like that's the case..... Is my interpretation correct?

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL, please tell me why you hate refinements

- You Don't have to use them, and it will not hurt you

- There is nothing now overpowering about them as there was

about my only complaint about them at the moment would be that there is still a lot of different resources to obtain to do them.
Yeah that and I personally still feel there is so much going on this publish it would be best to hold them. But other then that and maybe what you said I don't see an issue with them. I may or may not bother with them lol.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We all understand that you disliked factions and died every time you attempted to join in the fun, sorry for your loss. The rest of us though liked that EVERYONE could take advantage of the said arty vendor. Nothing stopped anyone from doing it unless you couldn't join a guild and make friends. We enjoyed that you could play multi shards for cheap and fight a varity of people with different skills and tactics. We liked the stat timer and the fun/annoyance it brought. We liked that no one had to farm for 6 crimmies or invest the 180mil that those cost.

Sorry you saw it as a evil system that didn't share, you are wrong but I am sorry you saw it that way all the same.

I have tested this new system and it's far from the train wreck it once was but you are asking that every person makes another suit on TEST SHARD where nothing matters. You are asking that we all spend weeks when the team can't be bothered to release a spread sheet that shows what goes where and how it all works. They can't be bothered to release information for the the new weapon revamp in a clear fashion that shows the prior mods vs the new mods(thank goodness Tina did this for them). They still never bothered to give us this information for reforging and the players still don't know how high-end runics work 100% and this is a year and a half later. They haven't released information about this dimishing return for stamina though people have asked, often.

There are not 20K people playing this game anymore and I don't want to see this game become even more complex for the rest of us that are still here. Change is good yes as it helps to keep stuff fresh but change just for the sake of change is a risky buisness.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For anyone interested about the change to stam pots:

On a Human (20 alchy) with no ep a Greater stamina pot replenished 65 Stam

On a human with GM alchemy, and no ep (same thing as having 50ep and no alchy) it replenished around 100.

So safe to say, that change won't hurt anyone that uses stam pots a lot, might have to use 2 on occasion is all.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
flappy6 said:
so will tram brit and fel brit both have a gov?

OK..... so they way I read these Answers a RED (Murder) character will not be able to benefit from a Trade Deal? Is this correct? I'm aware of the city loyalty aspect required but I haven't used the system before so I was operating under the assumption that it was possible for a RED character to achieve the loyalty needed, but now that I read the quoted posts above it doesn't look like that's the case..... Is my interpretation correct?
That's correct, murderers are outcasts from the law and order of a City and cannot benefit from the trade deal.

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's correct, murderers are outcasts from the law and order of a City and cannot benefit from the trade deal.
That is a fair response. So, how about you give us murderer's Bucc's Den? Bucc's has always been outside the law but maybe there can be a little order in the chaos?

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the reply. I was all excited about new template possibilities w/ a free FC 1 but I guess my blue faction guys will have to do.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Two more questions for Kyronix:

Do we still need to have different types of refinement components for different types of armor? Now that we can specify the order in which we want to have the resist caps modified, do you really need to have separate components for studded leather vs. studded samurai armor vs. hide vs. bone? Or separate components for woodland armor vs. gargish stone armor? Or separate components for platemail armor vs. samurai platemail armor vs. gargish platemail armor vs. dragon armor vs. chainmail armor vs. ringmail armor?

Can't you make it so we just have the 5 levels of washes and cures for tailors to use on nonmeddable armor (studded, hide, and bone); 5 levels of gloss and varnish for carpenters to use on nonmeddable armor (woodland and stone); and 5 levels of scour and polish for the metal and dragon scale armor?

And can't you PLEASE make the components, the thread, the resin, and the plating stackable? Please, please?!?!

As it stands now, we're looking at 40 types of NON-STACKING lootable/stealable components to keep for tailoring , as well as 40 types of NON-STACKING washed and cured threads; 20 types of NON-STACKING lootable/stealable components to keep for carpentry/masonry and 20 types of NON-STACKING varnished and glazed resins; and 60 types of NON-STACKING lootable/stealable components to keep for blacksmithing as well as 60 types of NON-STACKING scoured and polished plating. We also have stock up on alloy, braid and flasks. That's 243 new types of items, and only 3 of them stack with each other. Only 3. It's insane from a storage perspective.

If you could eliminate the need to have a variety of types of lootable/stealable components and a variety of threads, resins, and plating to go with the various types of armors and make them stackable, then we'd only have to have 30 types of stackable lootable/stealable components, 30 types of stackable threads, resins, and plating, and 3 types of alloy, braid and flasks. We'd only have to allocate 63 storage slots, instead of an unlimited number. In addition, being able to stack the items would, I imagine, make them deedable and thus a much more attractive commodity for people to actually go out and try to acquire or to manufacture and then turn around and sell to fellow players. As it is, the nonstackable nature of these items and their huge diversity is going to make them unappealing to collect or sell.
Really agree here. Its really dumb to have it require SO many items. They should add just TWO items. One for deflection (DCI boost), one for Reinforcing (resists boost). They should both work on any armor type. More like a tool. Or at most just the 5 levels of both type... thats more than plenty.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We all understand that you disliked factions and died every time you attempted to join in the fun, sorry for your loss.
LOL Now this is funny because I NEVER TRIED TO JOIN FACTIONS so maybe you need to get your facts straight. Sorry you lost all your goodies from an abused system.

I have tested this new system and it's far from the train wreck it once was but you are asking that every person makes another suit on TEST SHARD where nothing matters.
:facepalm: And yet again you fail to get your facts straight. I said COPY YOUR CHAR OVER TO TC WITH YOUR SUIT andf test it to see what has changed.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL Now this is funny because I NEVER TRIED TO JOIN FACTIONS so maybe you need to get your facts straight. Sorry you lost all your goodies from an abused system.
So then why do you bother to troll us faction people? I had the piles of crap before factions and I've simply purchased more of others after the fact. I have 7 faction players who don't use a single faction arti but what I do miss ARE THE 100+ PLAYERS WHO QUIT AFTER THE CHANGE.

And yet again you fail to get your facts straight. I said COPY YOUR CHAR OVER TO TC WITH YOUR SUIT andf test it to see what has changed.
Yes you can copy your char to TC and test you old armor but to really test this thing you need to make a new suit with the new stuff, come on man use your head for goodness sake.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would absolutely love for Buc's Den to become a hotbed for murderers, thieves, and ne're do-wells of all sorts.
Please tell us that you already planned for Bucs to be this and you simply forgot to mention it, right?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So then why do you bother to troll us faction people? I had the piles of crap before factions and I've simply purchased more of others after the fact. I have 7 faction players who don't use a single faction arti but what I do miss ARE THE 100+ PLAYERS WHO QUIT AFTER THE CHANGE.
LOL I have every right to state what I think no matter what you say. You of all people who WHINE. SCREAM, CRY and KICK YOUR LITTLE FEET about Mystic/Mages abusing the system and you think it was ok to abuse a broken Faction Syatem. I am sure all those people sitting at Luna Bank (Tram) were just resting after defending thier Faction Base or setting up thier Faction controled towns. Factions consisted of two things before the fix, abusing a broken Faction Point System and abusing a broken Faction Arty Vending Machine.
Yes you can copy your char to TC and test you old armor but to really test this thing you need to make a new suit with the new stuff, come on man use your head for goodness sake.
People were pancakes that this new system destroyed thier suits without even testing thier current suit. It was an OMG my suit is ruined I am quitting UO knee jerk reaction to these changes where in fact your suit is the same and from what I understand PvMers will be the only ones using Refinements, this is based on replies from your fellow PvPers so this changes nothing in PvP so why do you even care. This is about PvM so why are you Trolling this.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Chill out folks.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

That makes zero sense. It's a completely optional system, and now that they readjusted the numbers is not even overpowered. I agree on the mage armor and the Balance but I cannot for the life of me understand why everyone hates refinements. If you don't want to mess with it... don't. The game won't change for you.

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Factions consisted of two things before the fix, abusing a broken Faction Point System and abusing a broken Faction Arty Vending Machine.
I am not disagreeing with you that this occured, however there were alternate ways of addressing the issues you mentioned without driving all but the hardcore factioners out of factions.

I agree with what they tried to do, however if I had been active at the time I would have given feedback on alternatives that would achieve the aims of the changes but foster faction particiaption rather discourage it.

People were pancakes that this new system destroyed thier suits without even testing thier current suit. It was an OMG my suit is ruined I am quitting UO knee jerk reaction to these changes where in fact your suit is the same and from what I understand PvMers will be the only ones using Refinements, this is based on replies from your fellow PvPers so this changes nothing in PvP so why do you even care. This is about PvM so why are you Trolling this.
Refinement will be used in PvP because it creates huge imbalances that need to be addressed before the publish goes live. Dexxers are going to be useless in combat.

Mages will just use non med armor, switch out Med for Focus (if they even had Med), refine to 70 DCI which is now HLD proof and wipe the floor with 2-3 dexxers at a time that rely on RNG to damage and disrupt.

You can quote all the "pvpers" you want to dispute this but its only a matter of time before the people ahead of the curve take advantage of this and those behind the curve begin to copy.

I care little about pvm balance because allowing people to kill strong monsters alone (that prob shouldn't be possible) doesn't hurt an AI's feelings or make it leave the game. When Pvp is out of balance, people stop playing templates that are no longer competative and it creates a very stale fighting envirornment that causes people to eventully stop playing alltogether.

Throwers are going to struggle the most because they are used to a huge hit advantage with their 50 HCI against 45 DCI..... Now change that to 45 HCI against 70DCI - a change of 30 HCI - with less damage and slower weapon speeds.... they are going to get rocked. Not just because just refinement creates an imbalanced but because their current pvp tactics will not work.

If the Dev's are set on allowing MAX DCI to be higher then Max HCI - it can't be more then 10% and in my opinion shouldn't be more then 5% difference in favor of the Defender. There is no way DCI under the effects of HLD should be reduce it to ONLY max HCI. Again MAX DCI should be lowered to about 5% less then Max HCI or 40%.

I see mages complaining how Dexxers are no longer a challenge, they will be much less so now.

I've posted on the subject for over a month. Dev's don't seem to get it yet, not sure most players have actually tested it and the players that have are not saying anything because they are preping suits to take advantage of everyone else.

-Lore's Player

PS: Another issue created with the new Mage armor system is Faction Arties...... they expire after a month.... I have a faction character that uses the Rune Beetle and Fey Leggings - are you saying I have to spend half a mil in gold a month to remove mage armor from those???? I don't play often and I don't craft or pvm... I can't afford to do that.

Last edited:

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not disagreeing with you that this occured, however there were alternate ways of addressing the issues you mentioned without driving all but the hardcore factioners out of factions.

I agree with what they tried to do, however if I had been active at the time I would have given feedback on alternatives that would achieve the aims of the changes but foster faction particiaption rather discourage it.

Refinement will be used in PvP because it creates huge imbalances that need to be addressed before the publish goes live. Dexxers are going to be useless in combat.

Mages will just use non med armor, switch out Med for Focus (if they even had Med), refine to 70 DCI which is now HLD proof and wipe the floor with 2-3 dexxers at a time that rely on RNG to damage and disrupt.

You can quote all the "pvpers" you want to dispute this but its only a matter of time before the people ahead of the curve take advantage of this and those behind the curve begin to copy.

I care little about pvm balance because allowing people to kill strong monsters alone (that prob shouldn't be possible) doesn't hurt an AI's feelings or make it leave the game. When Pvp is out of balance, people stop playing templates that are no longer competative and it creates a very stale fighting envirornment that causes people to eventully stop playing alltogether.

Throwers are going to struggle the most because they are used to a huge hit advantage with their 50 HCI against 45 DCI..... Now change that to 45 HCI against 70DCI - a change of 30 HCI - with less damage and slower weapon speeds.... they are going to get rocked. Not just because just refinement creates an imbalanced but because their current pvp tactics will not work.

If the Dev's are set on allowing MAX DCI to be higher then Max HCI - it can't be more then 10% and in my opinion shouldn't be more then 5% difference in favor of the Defender. There is no way DCI under the effects of HLD should be reduce it to ONLY max HCI. Again MAX DCI should be lowered to about 5% less then Max HCI or 40%.

I see mages complaining how Dexxers are no longer a challenge, they will be much less so now.

I've posted on the subject for over a month. Dev's don't seem to get it yet, not sure most players have actually tested it and the players that have are not saying anything because they are preping suits to take advantage of everyone else.

-Lore's Player

PS: Another issue created with the new Mage armor system is Faction Arties...... they expire after a month.... I have a faction character that uses the Rune Beetle and Fey Leggings - are you saying I have to spend half a mil in gold a month to remove mage armor from those???? I don't play often and I don't craft or pvm... I can't afford to do that.

Ummm... I'd say Wrong......

1) If "Mages" all switch to Focus so they refine up to 70 DCI there are multiple negative effects....
* Lowered Resists for Maxing DCI.. how much??? I don't know I haven't played with the system but it appears to read as 1% resist = 2 DCI Cap so 70 DCI is 25% over Cap = 12% Resists? So 67-68 Across board?? Can you say Corpse bait?
* You cannot be a 30% SDI "Focused" Mage if your using the Focus skill. Buh Bye Hard hitting Mages
* Lowered Elemental Resists means if a dexxer is smart he could craft a 100% Elemental Weapon to abuse a specific weakness.... I know I do that on all my samps.

2) Currently & it's been this way for years... Anyone with 70 DCI is already HLD proof so if you read the notes you will notice that a 35% DCI reduction from the HLD effect means someone with Max 70% Dci gets reduced tooooooooo YEA you guess it 45% DCI ! Oh wait ! That's just like before... Hmmmm. The only difference being that now they also lose elemental resists.

3) 70% Max Dci vs 45% Max HCI is basically the same thing as...

25% DCI vs 0% HCI.... & if you plug those numbers into the stratics combat calculator you get a chance to hit the 70% Max DCI guy of 40% where we are all accustomed to 50% This assumes NO HLD effect. So Yea there will be a difference in sticking that initial hit to get HLD to go off but there's also the loss of resists to counter balance that. Either way no 70% DCI mage is going to be taking on 3 dexxers. (Assuming the 3 don't suck lol. )

Last edited:

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would absolutely love for Buc's Den to become a hotbed for murderers, thieves, and ne're do-wells of all sorts.
until there is a server line right in the middle of the path at 2 steps from the gate I don't think there will ever be noone insane enough to pvp there :D

Lore Denin (GL)

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ummm... I'd say Wrong......

1) If "Mages" all switch to Focus so they refine up to 70 DCI there are multiple negative effects....
* Lowered Resists for Maxing DCI.. how much??? I don't know I haven't played with the system but it appears to read as 1% resist = 2 DCI Cap so 70 DCI is 25% over Cap = 12% Resists? So 67-68 Across board?? Can you say Corpse bait?
The ability to overcap resists remains so... no you wouldn't be any more corpse bait then before... and who said you had to be 67-68 across the board... prob lower your least used resists like cold and poison. Elves would have the benefit of lowering energy to 70 for DCI.

* You cannot be a 30% SDI "Focused" Mage if your using the Focus skill. Buh Bye Hard hitting Mages?
That is incorrect - Here is the list that would prevent you from being a focused mage : Magery, Necromancy, Mysticism, Focus, Ninjitsu, Bushido, Animal Taming, Musicianship, Chivalry and Spellweaving.

* Lowered Elemental Resists means if a dexxer is smart he could craft a 100% Elemental Weapon to abuse a specific weakness.... I know I do that on all my samps.
You are going to craft a specific weapon to fight a particular player who've magically calculated which resists they lowered? Is that a UO assist macro or is it something you can do with Pinco's EC?

2) Currently & it's been this way for years... Anyone with 70 DCI is already HLD proof so if you read the notes you will notice that a 35% DCI reduction from the HLD effect means someone with Max 70% Dci gets reduced tooooooooo YEA you guess it 45% DCI ! Oh wait ! That's just like before... Hmmmm. The only difference being that now they also lose elemental resists.
That's my point exactly.... HLD should not be completely negated and it has been that way for a few years because more and more powerful items have been introduced which has allowed easy overcapping and it needs to be re-balanced as a result.

3) 70% Max Dci vs 45% Max HCI is basically the same thing as...

25% DCI vs 0% HCI.... & if you plug those numbers into the stratics combat calculator you get a chance to hit the 70% Max DCI guy of 40% where we are all accustomed to 50% This assumes NO HLD effect. So Yea there will be a difference in sticking that initial hit to get HLD to go off but there's also the loss of resists to counter balance that. Either way no 70% DCI mage is going to be taking on 3 dexxers. (Assuming the 3 don't suck lol. )
If I am wrong then why did you just post this in the spellcaster forum asking about making a parry mage which is the exact template that takes advantage of this imbalance.

http://stratics.com/community/threads/pvp-parry-mage-template-help.297587/

So..... I've been running an offensive wrestling Scribe Focus Mage as my main for awhile now, & I don't really feel like I'm getting much out of the wrestling offense (even with 45% HCI & 5% SSI). I've pretty much convinced myself to try out a parry Mage, but now I'm wondering what variations people are running.....

A Few Questions...

1) How useful is Reactive Para for this Temp??

2) I'd like to build it with the following skills

120 Mage
120 Med
120 Eval
120 Resist
120 Parry
100 Scribe
100 Anat

Obviously that's 800 Skil points which means it's a +80 Skill point template as it reads above or I could reasonably drop Med to 100 and have it only be a +60 Skill point template.
I was thinking....
Mark of Travestry = +20 points
Hepheastus Sheild = +10 points
Spell Woven Britches = +10 points
+20 Skill imbued on Jewelry....

Anyway... I'm just looking for input on what other creative people have already come up with. I'll be waiting till pub 81 is out so that I get the new boosted material types etc.

Thx.

Last edited:

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Why are you so obsessed with constantly bashing factions Frodo if in your own words you never participated in them?

How can you so severely dislike or like anything that you have no firsthand experience of?

I personally am not a big fan of factions but I have tried them out many times just to see what they were all about atm.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seriously?

Why do I feel like this entire bs bragging rights/favoritism City Elections system was jammed into place as a smoke screen?

Maybe I am being a bit too Oliver Stone here but it sure feels to me like someone in charge said "everyone hates the idea of messing with dci/hci and Refinements but since we are determined to push them through anyway we better create a diversion fast!"

95% of the Fellucca playerbase is only there for pvp. Does anyone think this new election system is going to be good for pvp in any way, shape or form?
Do we need to create a bizarre election/trade deal system that will encourage more rigged nonsense and favoritism?

And we should be introducing this huge pile of fluff instead of working on fixing the 412 exisitng pvp bugs why?

Can't wait for all the upcoming resource consuming updates and bug fixes to this nonsense!

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I seriously.. seriously disagree with you on this. I see some dexers toying with it, but that would be about it. I don't think an imbalance would occur.

As someone who has tried running a mage with 120 focus, 0 med, and non-medable armor, i'll say it is next to impossible to keep functional mana and don't think it will be done at all.

The hld change, gives those used to 45dci a boost and nerfs those that overcapped dci. Sure it doesn't matter much to the crazy guy that refined to 70dci. But you know what the beauty of that is? That guy that refines to 70dci, will have to lose resists caps somewhere. And the great thing about pvp is, unlike a monster, a player will exploit that vulnerability. If I notice a guy has 70dci, i will definitely attack his weak resists. Think what a mage would do to the guy with it.

I'm growing to like the current setup, it can give boosts here or there, and you penalize yourself for making those boosts. Along the way, none of those boosts are overpowered. Sure some dexer with 120 parry and 70dci is going to be a trainwreck to kill with another warrior, but a mage should have a field day with him. pvp is all about building your templates to counter balance others. You do not want to be too strong in one thing and weak in another.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok so will Siege get the city elections thing then? We have no Trammel..
There are some issues that are presented with trying to extend voting mechanics into Felucca. This combined with the fact that Siege doesn't have the rebuilt Castle Blackthorn prevent us from putting the elections on Siege.

Last edited:

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A few things to know when it comes to titles the Governor can give out...

1. A Governor can only give a title to a citizen of the city in which they are Governor.
2. A citizen can remove their title at any time by using the City Stone context menu.

I'm sorry you didn't like my example. That is merely how I would try and handle the situation from one perspective. The scenario I described would take a combined effort of all the people I play with, and we'd have a blast trying to pull it off. Isn't that what UO is all about anyway, having fun with friends while living your day to day life in Britannia? The nice thing about UO is you can do pretty much anything anyway you want...you really are limited only by your imagination. The intent of the King's council is to foster interaction between Lord Blackthorn's Government and the general population. It is a tool to enhance your own imagination. Are there going to be some bumps along the way? I'm sure there will be, but those can present a great opportunity for some real fun and can also serve to inspire some really exciting scenarios specific to each shard.
I don't like your example because the system you are actually designing has no in game recall mechanism, so how can it possibly work? There isn't any way for the "combined effort" to have any affect; If I just say "Tough, I won the election, I get the seat"... you can't stop me in any way. As long as I don't break the ToS and trigger action from the EM/GMs, your roleplaying is irrelevant. The elections are automatic only every few months, that's the mechanic you have in place, so the only appeal is to human nature in between them.

And I think you'll find that's no appeal at all.

So you need an official system that people know they can turn too if the quality of game experience starts to decay. Either the EMs have to have a "written constitution", that the players can see, which allows a recall mechanism, or the voting system has a "Vote of No Confidence" tally between the months-apart elections. It's not about what I think of your ideas in the abstract; you could be the reincarnation of Gary Gargax and I'd acknowledge your undisputed lore weaving skills... but I'd still be pointing out that's not what happens in Ultima Online, which is something else.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
There are some issues that are presented with trying to extend voting mechanics into Felucca. This combined with the fact that Siege doesn't have the rebuilt Castle Blackthorn prevent us from putting the elections there.

To clarify. does that mean Siege will not have elections at Castle Blackthorn or Siege will not have elections at all?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
To clarify. does that mean Siege will not have elections at Castle Blackthorn or Siege will not have elections at all?
I updated the original post to make it a bit more clear, but to answer your question, no they won't be on Siege.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Thanks for the quick reply. *smiles*

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seriously?

Why do I feel like this entire bs bragging rights/favoritism City Elections system was jammed into place as a smoke screen?

Maybe I am being a bit too Oliver Stone here but it sure feels to me like someone in charge said "everyone hates the idea of messing with dci/hci and Refinements but since we are determined to push them through anyway we better create a diversion fast!"

95% of the Fellucca playerbase is only there for pvp. Does anyone think this new election system is going to be good for pvp in any way, shape or form?
Do we need to create a bizarre election/trade deal system that will encourage more rigged nonsense and favoritism?

And we should be introducing this huge pile of fluff instead of working on fixing the 412 exisitng pvp bugs why?

Can't wait for all the upcoming resource consuming updates and bug fixes to this nonsense!
Mesanna's been hinting about the player-run council for about a year now and finally provided some more concrete details at the 15th Anniversary Party in September at the Fairfax office. If you go to this page and scroll down to about the 0:35 mark, you'll be able to read a copy of the slide and a trancript of what she said: http://uo.ultimacodex.com/2012/10/uo-15th-anniversary-transcript-presentation/ .

Unfortunately, if she or Kyronix expanded on the topic later in the meeting, the only people who really know what she said were the people at the meeting and anyone who had the luxury of staying glued to their computer on a busy Saturday watching the live feed (assuming it was even working at that point). The rest of us never got much out of that party because of the live feed problems and the fact that Kai Schober apparently wasn't permitted to post the video from the meeting, as he promised to do in the second sentence of this announcement: http://www.uo.com/article/Ask-Answer-No-4 .

I think the player-run councils are probably a huge reason for bringing back a "good" Blackthorn and giving him a huge castle with the council room and then making the whole area spell-proof and inaccessible to pets. In other words, I think we're well past the point that the team is going to back away from the idea, Goldberg. We're stuck with it now and just have to hope that it doesn't end up being abused by players and EMs and something most of us end up hating.

For all we know, based on Cetric and Kyronix's brief exchange above, the town council system might be the basis for a new Order and Chaos system.

I just hope that in the future, the team tries harder to include MORE of the player base on the few occasions when they take the time to set up some type of an event to discuss their plans. It still sticks in my craw that the vast majority of UO's active players were so casually dismissed as far as passing along valuable information about the game's future that was dispersed at the 15th anniversary party. If there was a problem with something that was said at the meeting, EA could have blanked the audio, as was done in two places in one of the two videos that a player did post from the party...there's one 10-second video blank in the discussion of plans for changing champ spawns and another when they were talking about Pinco's UI. Instead, they just didn't bother with doing anything. So most of us are still sitting here getting hit by this stuff and wondering what the justification for it is, when Mesanna probably feels like she already explained it at the party and we should know about it.

Oh well. We're stuck with it, whether we want it or not. And as everyone likes to say, if you don't enjoy it, don't participate in it. Just know that you're paying for the development of it in lieu of something else. So maybe it makes sense to sit back and watch and try to provide helpful feedback if you can so there's some chance the whole concept doesn't completely skid off the road.

Maybe sometime Kyronix, Mesanna, Jeff, Kate Flack, etc. will actually take some time to TALK TO US about why they think this idea is worth spending time and money on it, beyond just saying it's our chance to participate in politics. Politics isn't necessarily something a lot of people want to be involved with, especially inside of a game that they may be using as a temporary escape from reality. So there really does need to be something beyonds pretty banners and temporary buffs to make the system appeal to the 99% of players who won't be elected as Governors and who won't be allowed to have meaningful participation in the council's meetings with the King/Viceroy/EMs-in-disguise.

I guess time will tell. I'm very skeptical about the whole idea at this point and have a lot of concerns about how it's going to turn out. But I think it's going to go in whether we want it or not. It might only end up appealing to 5% of the population, but I guess that won't be a first in UO either, will it?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The EMs have to have a "written constitution", that the players can see, which allows a recall mechanism,
That's the intent. If you, as a citizen of whatever City, feel that the individual that has been elected Governor is not dutifully carrying out their office then you by all means should make your feelings known to the King.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are some issues that are presented with trying to extend voting mechanics into Felucca. This combined with the fact that Siege doesn't have the rebuilt Castle Blackthorn prevent us from putting the elections on Siege.
Well, you guys did manage to stick a throne room with that godawful throne in the existing Castle Blackthorn. Why not use that room?

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's the intent. If you, as a citizen of whatever City, feel that the individual that has been elected Governor is not dutifully carrying out their office then you by all means should make your feelings known to the King.
Ok, now this is starting to edge towards being more reasonable; the next question is, will it be officially declared as policy, so the EMs can point to a wider process and thus avoid accusations of favouritism? Again this isn't abstract, it happened with the statues drama on Europa; the EMs are going to need to be able to point to some larger rules they are abiding by to prevent the whole thing descending into he said-she said, and poisoning relations between groups (which is part of what such personality types will be aiming to abuse the elections to do)... we need to see Blackthorn's word as law not just in character, but that the EMs have the strength of Mythic behind them too; if this person is being disruptive, you have the right to ask Blackthorn to look at the real life rules which clearly state where everyone can see them... do you see what I'm getting at?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok, now this is starting to edge towards being more reasonable; the next question is, will it be officially declared as policy, so the EMs can point to a wider process and thus avoid accusations of favouritism?
Yes, but we're also going to have to allow a bit of common sense to be exercised in the process.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You know while I think not letting twohanded weapons with balance parry/evade is dumb I agree that it doesn't make it useless. Not everyone uses parry/bushido. I know I plan on trying out twohanded melee weapons in both pvm/pvp on a template that includes no bushido. I am really hoping they change their minds on the whole no parry/evade thing but it isn't a HUGE thing.
It is simple. If you have the bush skill don't balance your weapon. The old hotkey for disarm is still there. Non bush skill players using a two handed weapon with balance will have a reason to put down their shield. Unless they have parry and no bush. They still have left hand disarm pot chugging while poking an opponent in the eye. Now the player with no parry or bush should just pick up a bow and train archery with a balanced weapon. Unless they are a gargoyle. Then their ranged weapon attack works just fine with pots but one could complain about not having to gather ammo. There is some old story about eating and having cake not possible also. There is the implied about having cake and eating cake also doesn't allow crying after making a choice.

Same goes for refining. Let them continue adding to the game. Add things without telling us. Then just add 100+ more. Tweek that randomize that. There will come a time some player will crawl out of the slime becoming lord of the pond. On that day they wont even know what to nerf to fix that players clock.

There are those that strive to addapt and stand taller. Others sit in their puddle of piss complaining about gravity. Have faith that when everyone is running around fel yew gate with yumi spell weaver archers, riding ostards and wearing serpent scale armor without robes and cloaks they might realize it is not a guild thing.

Time has learned me. When my knee is hurting. They ask to see my pink finger. For some reason being told this may sting a little bit doesn't help. I STFU and don't mention my pinky finger pain. Mumble a bit and hope they quess right what was implied. Wishing the never see the other hand hidden in my pocket.

Refining is just fine the way it is. Make the materials hard to get and not scripting bait. I'm sure some mage will come here and compain someone lowered their resist taking more damage from spells. Their tears over the fact they can't hit them with their Plane Sword at all now. Hmmpfffft the horror. Got another story about an archer crying about their explosion potions doing less damage. Will run your tear buckets dry.

Last edited: