• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 81 Updated on TC1

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I added screen shots of the individual pieces in the 2 studded leather suits with orc helms to the two posts above. Hopefully that will make things a lot clearer if you're just now starting to try to wrap your head around this. LOL

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, what about Gargoyle characters, you can't get Non-medable Earrings/glasses Or a necklace, so refinements would only allow you to cap Resists at 74 (4 pieces refined to increase resistances)
or you could increase your DCI to 65 & 66 in all resistances.

or is mage armor going to beable to be removed from Med-able items, even though it doesn't show up as a property?

Otherwise gargoyles cannot gain the full benefit of refinements, in one direction or the other.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And if you're wondering about whether refining works on armor made of special materials, yes it does. You can also imbue items that have already been refined. The refinement process does not seem to add any weight for imbuing. Also, you can refine a piece more than once. I made a barbed studded leather tunic, refined it, imbued 90 luck on it, and then refined it again without any problems.

Refining also works on looted pieces. Here are some screen shots from the process of imbuing additional stamina regeneration on a looted piece of gargish platemail and then refining it to bump up some of the resist caps. (Probably not a piece anyone would do this to, but just wanted to show it can be done.)

looted imbued refined steps.jpg looted imbued refined final piece.jpg

What MAY be a problem is trying to enhance pieces that are already refined. That is probably something that people will want to experiment with to see what happens. I tried it on piece of studded armor that had only been refined to modify one resist cap. Took two atempts to enhance with barbed leather and the piece blew up and poofed. Not a definitive test, to be sure, but it makes me wonder how much weight the refinement process adds to pieces of armor for enhancing purposes.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And if you're wondering about whether refining works on armor made of special materials, yes it does. You can also imbue items that have already been refined. The refinement process does not seem to add any weight for imbuing. Also, you can refine a piece more than once. I made a barbed studded leather tunic, refined it, imbued 90 luck on it, and then refined it again without any problems.

Refining also works on looted pieces. Here are some screen shots from the process of imbuing additional stamina regeneration on a looted piece of gargish platemail and then refining it to bump up some of the resist caps. (Probably not a piece anyone would do this to, but just wanted to show it can be done.)

View attachment 13692 View attachment 13693

What MAY be a problem is trying to enhance pieces that are already refined. That is probably something that people will want to experiment with to see what happens. I tried it on piece of studded armor that had only been refined to modify one resist cap. Took two atempts to enhance with barbed leather and the piece blew up and poofed. Not a definitive test, to be sure, but it makes me wonder how much weight the refinement process adds to pieces of armor for enhancing purposes.
This might be a stupid question Tina. When you add refinements to the kilt it says 12 +1 for physical. So is the physical resist of that kilt 13? I can't get my head around this stuff at all.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This might be a stupid question Tina. When you add refinements to the kilt it says 12 +1 for physical. So is the physical resist of that kilt 13? I can't get my head around this stuff at all.
Raised your cap in that stat by 1, not the actual resist, which is 12. Don't feel bad, its not a very informative stat.

Reactions: hen

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
or is mage armor going to beable to be removed from Med-able items, even though it doesn't show up as a property?
Doesn't work. See the exchange below.... (I feel bad for the mages having to work in just their undies.)

trying to make leather armor nonmeddable.jpg

I will make some samurai platemail armor and see what happens when I visit him to take off the mage armor property.

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't worry, I was on that track myself for quite a while! All the refinement process does is raise the cap for that particular resist. So, in this case, if you only have one piece of armor with +1% on the physical resist, it just means that potentially you can build your suit to have 71% physical resist because you added 1% to the physical resist cap. Whether you actually take advantage of the increased cap is completely separate. And as you can see from the status bars screen shots I posted, the actual resists on those suits were falling far short of their potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: hen

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess at this rate, we'll see publish 81 sometime around June

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Screen shots from taking mage armor property off some exceptionally crafted samurai platemail armor. It cost 250,000 gold.

converting samurai platemail mage armor 1.jpg converting samurai platemail mage armor 2.jpg

Afterwards, I checked to see how the removal of the mage armor property affected the imbuing possibilities for this piece.

imbuing weight for converted samurai platemail armor.jpg

(Below is what you'd see at the same point if trying to imbue on an unconverted piece of samurai platemail armor.)

imbuing weight for nonconverted samurai platemail armor.jpg

And a screen shot to confirm there is no more Mage Armor option for imbuing:

no more mage armor imbuing option.jpg

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We should check and see which mage shops have mage guildmasters and make sure there will be some on Siege.

Edited to add: Question for Kyronix or Bleak: On Siege and Mugen, is it going to cost 750,000 gold to remove the mage armor property??

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bear in mind when you refine a piece you're not actually adding anything on to the piece. The resists on the item stay exactly the same, so for the purpose of imbuing, enhancing etc the item has not changed.
You still have to imbue, enhance, whatever to reach the cap you've changed.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Doesn't work. See the exchange below.... (I feel bad for the mages having to work in just their undies.)

View attachment 13694

I will make some samurai platemail armor and see what happens when I visit him to take off the mage armor property.
Have you tried to add Mage Armor to an item that's already been refined ?

I haven't done any testing with refinements (other than basics) since the details were being changed so much.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you tried to add Mage Armor to an item that's already been refined ?

I haven't done any testing with refinements (other than basics) since the details were being changed so much.
I don't think there is any way to add Mage Armor to armor at this point. It's been removed from the Imbuing gump.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't think there is any way to add Mage Armor to armor at this point. It's been removed from the Imbuing gump.
If the item has 4 mods or less, you're supposed to beable to add mage armor via the same npcs as long as the item isn't an artifact.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the item has 4 mods or less, you're supposed to beable to add mage armor via the same npcs as long as the item isn't an artifact.
Hmm...I just tried getting the mage guildmaster in Haven to put mage armor on some refined pieces my blacksmith made, including a couple that only had one resist cap modified, and his response to every one of the refined pieces was, "What is this!?"

He did, however, agree to put mage armor on my unimbued mining ringmail blacksmith gloves of mining. Nice to have it on those and still be able to put powder of fortification on them.

Last edited:

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hmm...I just tried getting the mage guildmaster in Haven to put mage armor on some refined pieces my blacksmith made, including a couple that only had one resist cap modified, and his response to every one of the refined pieces was, "What is this!?"

He did, however, agree to put mage armor on my unimbued mining ringmail blacksmith gloves of mining. Nice to have it on those and still be able to put powder of fortification on them.
very fine testing! :)

It's not possible to get refined mage armor then.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And I was able to refine the Armor of Fortune that no longer had Mage Armor on it.

refined armor of fortune.jpg

Couldn't imbue it after removing Mage Armor or after refining it.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
very fine testing! :)

It's not possible to get refined mage armor then.
That's logical. The notes say " will allow players to apply Refinements to non-medable armor. "
if it has 'mage armor' on it, it's not 'non-medable armor' and therefore doesn't qualify

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's logical. The notes say " will allow players to apply Refinements to non-medable armor. "
if it has 'mage armor' on it, it's not 'non-medable armor' and therefore doesn't qualify
The question in reference was to add Mage Armor, to an item that's affected by refinements, Not the other way around.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same result though, it's refined non-medable armor. You can't now make it medable armor. You can't 'have your cake and eat it'.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow, just read through all of this as a guild mate asked me if I'd redo all her armor for all her characters last night. I had no idea what she was talking about since I haven't paid attention to stratics for a while. After reading this, I'm telling her "NO WAY IN *@*)@#$" am I going to redo all her armor (yet alone mine). ;)

I'm going to try to convince her not to do anything as nothing will have appeared to change and you don't really need to have the best armor to have fun. We'll be able to do everything we are doing now, so don't mess with anything. My craftsman has officially retired, though. I barely got used to imbuing and reforging and now all this stuff??? NO THANKS! My hats are off to those who have the mental capacity to dig down so deep into formulas, spreadsheets and systems of equations to make that uber suit. I play to relax, not study, so I'll just keep what I have and know that when I go to fel I'm at more of a disadvantage than normal against the pvp crowd.

I truly don't know how you all do it... this game is getting too complicated for me to try to keep up anymore. I'm getting too old, I suppose. ;)

-P.E.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well you don't have to use refinements, and the changes to materials and material types just boost them a bit really. It doesn't seem overly complicated to me but I don't know I haven't tested a thing yet.

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Wow, just read through all of this as a guild mate asked me if I'd redo all her armor for all her characters last night. I had no idea what she was talking about since I haven't paid attention to stratics for a while. After reading this, I'm telling her "NO WAY IN *@*)@#$" am I going to redo all her armor (yet alone mine). ;)
I'm going to try to convince her not to do anything as nothing will have appeared to change and you don't really need to have the best armor to have fun. We'll be able to do everything we are doing now, so don't mess with anything. My craftsman has officially retired, though. I barely got used to imbuing and reforging and now all this stuff??? NO THANKS!
B-b-but how can this be? Kyronix said Refining was going to REVIVE crafting, and as many as 18% of posters approve of the system. rofl!

Last edited:

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK... What ever is currently live on Sonoma as of 11:20 pm pst 04/10/13 managed to NUKE (Remove) the mage armor property from Faction Fey Leggings that I just picked up at the Faction Base. They are no longer Meddable (with no Mage Armor Tag) and the 2 Mage guild master's I've checked don't show ANY option to add Mage armor yet...

There goes the ability to play 2 of my mages atm... oh what fun.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK... What ever is currently live on Sonoma as of 11:20 pm pst 04/10/13 managed to NUKE (Remove) the mage armor property from Faction Fey Leggings that I just picked up at the Faction Base. They are no longer Meddable (with no Mage Armor Tag) and the 2 Mage guild master's I've checked don't show ANY option to add Mage armor yet...

Vexxed, I just went now and bought some on Origin and they still have the Mage Armor tag. I wonder why yours didn't.

faction fey leggings origin.jpg

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So what's this Moonbound: Indestructable and Lifespan stuff about?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So what's this Moonbound: Indestructable and Lifespan stuff about?

Those two lines come from a change that was put in last July in Publish 77: http://www.uo.com/article/Publish-770-Comes-All-Shards-0711 . As you'll see, some other changes went in then too that affected the price of faction artifacts.

All faction artifacts have a maximum lifespan of 30 days
  • The remaining life displays in the item tooltip
  • This lifespan is in real time
  • Faction artifacts have a new Item Property: Moonbound
    • Moonbound items are Indestructible when in a Felucca ruleset area. They will frequently repair themselves to maximum durability, and will not lose maximum durability.
    • Moonbound items are Ephemeral when in a Trammel ruleset area. They will lose 1 point of maximum durability per six minutes spent in active combat.
  • All existing faction artifacts will convert to this new system with this publish
  • Note that faction consumables are not affected by this change

I haven't bought faction artifacts in a couple of years, but I think what will happen to those leggings is that they'll just vanish into thin area in 4 weeks. I believe there's a system message when you log in that tells you that the item expired or something like that if you weren't logged on when the item poofed.

Vexxed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Vexxed, I just went now and bought some on Origin and they still have the Mage Armor tag. I wonder why yours didn't.

View attachment 13745
I'm guessing because Origin / Izumo have a different patch version going on them don't they? Sonoma is atm 7.0.30.0 though keeping straight what's where is getting tiresome.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm guessing because Origin / Izumo have a different patch version going on them don't they? Sonoma is atm 7.0.30.0 though keeping straight what's where is getting tiresome.
I just bought some on Sonoma too and, like yours, they do NOT have the Mage Armor property on them. Very odd. I don't understand why on Origin newly-purchased faction Fey Leggings seem to be okay, since it has what should be considered a more-advanced publish, and yet something's gotten fouled up on another shard where nothing should have changed. And there have been no publish notes for any shard saying this was going to be changed.

I wonder what brand-new Fey Leggings acquired since yesterday from named ML dungeon monsters or ML peerless look like? Are they also missing the Mage Armor property?

Has any noticed whether other metal, studded leather, hide, or bone artifacts that normally have the Mage Armor property that were acquired yesterday after the patch or today do NOT have that property on them?

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

We are aware of this issue and it will be resolved next maintenance.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Artifacts, Community Collection items, and Armor Sets that should have Mage Armor property on them:

Armor of Fortune (Doom artifact)
Midnight Bracers (Doom artifact)
Inquisitor's Resolution (Doom stealable artifact)
Heart of the Lion (Ilshenar artifact)
Violet Courage (Ilshenar artifact)
Fey Leggings (ML artifact)
Helm of Swiftness (ML artifact)
Ancient Samurai Do (Treasures of Tokuno artifact)
Daimyo's Helm (Treasures of Tokuno artifact)
Legs of Stability (Treasures of Tokuno artifact)
Rune Beetle Carapace (Treasures of Tokuno artifact)
Studded Armor of the Britannia Royal Zoo (Zoo community collection item)
Platemail Armor of the Britannia Royal Zoo (Zoo community collection item)
Minax's Armor (Vesper Museum community collection item)
Keeonean's Chainmail (Vesper Museum community collection item)
Monstrous Interred Grizzle Armor Set (loot on Monstrous Interred Grizzle)
Scout Armor Set (Spring Cleaning set)

There might be other similar "artifact" type items that should have Mage Armor on them as well, I'm just not sure what they are. Hopefully versions of all of these items newly generated since yesterday haven't had their Mage Armor property removed.

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I also noticed the mage armor isnt showing but its still there as ''hidden'' but ''not working''. Its still taking 1 slot and 140 weight but just not showing and not working ''cant meditate''. Question I want to know is, do these newly generated not showing mage armor as they should, will they get their mage armor back or not?