• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 112 Comes to TC1

FAKEUSERNAME

Adventurer
Mesanna dropped the ball yet again.

It's easy to fix the Monster Proof-Chest.

Add the ability to reclaim the empty chest if it is destroyed due to body decay.

There are numerous ways to achieve this.
One would be: Single clicking your character and choosing the option to reclaim chest from that context menu. This would be the most convenient interface for the vast majority of the current user base.

Thinking forward, this item being a 2 year Veteran Reward is a poor decision.
It's counterproductive in the acquisition of new customers (who would benefit the most from such an item) and an example of why New Legacy will not reach it's full potential.

The Hildebrandt shield is also counterproductive in the acquisition of new customers.

Unless a similar item is offered to the masses, the shield is the best shield in the game after transmogrification.
You can try to argue that the effects are no big deal but the fact remains that it is the best.
This gives an advantage to anyone with a 25 year account. A poor concept when you consider the plan of new customer acquisition with New Legacy.
Personally, I wouldn't want to enter a new game where the only way I could achieve an even playing field is by having a 25 year old account.

In addition to this, is the Hildebrandt shield really the best that could be offered as a 25 year reward?
A comparable item such as Hook's shield didn't require comparable effort to obtain.

People who maintained a subscription for 25 years should receive something AMAZING.
Not only did they maintain a subscription for 25 years, they had to update their payment information numerous times and some more than likely had to pay for internet access throughout the experience.
Consider the amount of time and effort put forth. The amount of community and content these people provided.

Players shouldn't have to pay a subscription fee to teach Mesanna and the UO Team how to get veteran rewards right.
Feedback is one thing but from what I see, she is sourcing content and ideas from players via forums and emails.
Players are essentially paying to clean up her messes, like this one.

This woman should hire team members and EMs who can help her get it right.
I'm done offering advice that the UO Team could source. If she wants help she can pay for it like she expects everyone else to.
Mesanna should be ashamed of herself.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
25 year vets are not more loyal they are however blessed many many many of us would be there if life had allowed it from the single mother having to choose to feed children or maintain her hobby etc ...

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
From what I gathered in keeps and or castles the ability to place or move or something with teleporter was somehow linked to the week house timer and you had to wait to move it much like pet costumes this must be something that affected messannes friends so had to be fixed....
So there´s a timer on moving a house teleporter tile from place A to place B within a house?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So there´s a timer on moving a house teleporter tile from place A to place B within a house?
No. When a teleporter in a custom castle or keep stopped working there was a 7 day timer on fixing it. Now there is just a one day timer. This change will affect very few players. None of mine have ever broken so I will probably never see this change in action.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The shield does keep the writing when you use it as a target.
It also keeps the 90 str.

1643489364311.png

The 25 yr restriction is another example of how a developers personal preference influences what they add to the game. They wanted something that rewards a 25 year vet. So they put it in even with your childlike kicking and screaming.

Last edited:

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No. When a teleporter in a custom castle or keep stopped working there was a 7 day timer on fixing it. Now there is just a one day timer. This change will affect very few players. None of mine have ever broken so I will probably never see this change in action.
Ah ok.
So it only applies to the built-in tele tiles in the costum designed castles/keeps?

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Of course neither you @Anon McDougle tested the shield on a mob. The flamestrike which does not happen very often does 3 to 5 damage on a Balron. Hardly making a 25 year vet overpowered.

It is deco that a 25 year vet deserves.
Here you are with your sugar trolling I've said not a thing about the shield yet my name falling out your mouth...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here you are with your sugar trolling I've said not a thing about the shield yet my name falling out your mouth...
Sorry I guess you are talking about a different 25 year reward.

25 year vets are not more loyal they are however blessed many many many of us would be there if life had allowed it from the single mother having to choose to feed children or maintain her hobby etc ...

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It’s cool vey reward for sure

I’m sure they have similar shield they’ll release down the road to everyone
Maybe store item or limited event item

just wounded how many of the 25 year accounts are actually the original creators of it

to those that are original account holders congratulations well deserved!

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Of course neither you @Anon McDougle tested the shield on a mob. The flamestrike which does not happen very often does 3 to 5 damage on a Balron. Hardly making a 25 year vet overpowered.

would you mind retesting the damage numbers after setting your eval int to 120.0 plz?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
would you mind retesting the damage numbers after setting your eval int to 120.0 plz?
I'm sure they would be higher, but remember this does not work against players. How many parry mages are punching mobs? Maybe we will see more 25 yr players punching mobs and tossing their Sampires.
Or they can replace Bushido with eval on their Sampires.

I have no problem with that.

Do a Spawn on TC and tell me how that goes.

Seems PvPers love to complain that new stuff is overpowered. Glenda, Pets, Khal mask spell. Are just 3 recent examples of things that posters who speculated they would be bad for PvP so they got nerfed before they reached live shards.

Last edited:

FAKEUSERNAME

Adventurer

I'm sure they would be higher, but remember this does not work against players. How many parry mages are punching mobs? Maybe we will see more 25 yr players punching mobs and tossing their Sampires.
Or they can replace Bushido with eval on their Sampires.

I have no problem with that.

Do a Spawn on TC and tell me how that goes.

Seems PvPers love to complain that new stuff is overpowered. Glenda, Pets, Khal mask spell. Are just 3 recent examples of things that posters who speculated they would be bad for PvP so they got nerfed before they reached live shards.

Making blind accusations seems foolish. As mentioned above, obviously you didn't test it properly.

Has nothing to do with PVP. I'm not spelling it out for you, you can figure it out yourself.

No matter how much you try to go all over this place with this, the facts I've stated remain facts. You're just making yourself appear increasingly foolish.
When it comes to defending the UO Team and attacking your fellow players, you're doing a bad job at that too. I hope Bonnie pays you well for your efforts.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Making blind accusations seems foolish. As mentioned above, obviously you didn't test it properly.

Has nothing to do with PVP. I'm not spelling it out for you, you can figure it out yourself.

No matter how much you try to go all over this place with this, the facts I've stated remain facts. You're just making yourself appear increasingly foolish.
When it comes to defending the UO Team and attacking your fellow players, you're doing a bad job at that too. I hope Bonnie pays you well for your efforts.
IMO, the ones who look foolish are the ones complaining about the shield. It just reeks of envy.
And what facts are you referring to? Your opinions in post #52?

FAKEUSERNAME

Adventurer
IMO, the ones who look foolish are the ones complaining about the shield. It just reeks of envy.
And what facts are you referring to? Your opinions in post #52?
IMO complaining about someone not testing an item when you haven't properly tested the item yourself is foolish. (See post #67 & #69)
I don't expect someone who doesn't actively play mage templates to fully understand.

I can't think of anything to be envious of here.

As for post #52:
Stating that the shield is the best shield in the game after transmogrification is a fact.
Stating that the shield gives an advantage is also a fact.

Stating that the Mesanna and the UO Team could offer a better reward is my opinion. Maybe they can't, I wouldn't be surprised.
Stating that the item is counterproductive in the acquisition of new customers is speculation I feel confident in making. Only time can tell that one for sure.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IMO complaining about someone not testing an item when you haven't properly tested the item yourself is foolish. (See post #67 & #69)
I don't expect someone who doesn't actively play mage templates to fully understand.

I can't think of anything to be envious of here.

As for post #52:
Stating that the shield is the best shield in the game after transmogrification is a fact.

Stating that the Mesanna and the UO Team could offer a better reward is my opinion. Maybe they can't, I wouldn't be surprised.
Stating that the item is counterproductive in the acquisition of new customers is speculation I feel confident in making. Only time can tell that one for sure.
Thank you.
I was worried that you were gonna try and somehow present that whole post as facts, which you didn´t. Some have done stuff like that in the past and that´s why I called you out on it.

As for the two facts, to me they are basically the same thing. And some people having some free flamestrikes during PvM doesn´t justify the complaining and moaning that´s been going on on the two forums since the information about the shield was released. It´s been a lot of "It´s not fair!" and "Why can´t I have one too?" sounding posts which is where the envy part comes in.
Why can´t we just be happy that the veterans that have been loyal to the game since the beginning gets a treat to use and show off?

With that said, if you know something that makes it overpowered then by all means report that to the devs so they can tweak it if they agree with you.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A poster on the UO forums has asked for a container so mobs would not steal petals, apples and such.

Players wanted it, they got it.
Low hanging fruits.. almost zero effort.

Players also want ghost mobs fixed in EC. Takes some effort. Not fixed since 2012.

Not very impressive for the last 4 months, but more than NL progress at least.

FAKEUSERNAME

Adventurer
Why can´t we just be happy that the veterans that have been loyal to the game since the beginning gets a treat to use and show off?
Numerous reasons. You seem very kind so I'll fill you in.

A lot could be said about this reason but I'll keep it short and simple.
A direct reason is because it requires the 25 year veteran to purchase an item for real life cash to utilize the veteran reward at it's greatest potential.

You can notice a trend here. This veteran reward and the recent castle contest, they aren't exactly pulling in new customers.
Instead of getting new customers, they got some players to activate subscription accounts for extra voting privileges.
Those accounts probably won't get renewed and still no new players. If anything, they probably lost players due to dissatisfaction during the contest.
I personally know people who have quit and taken others with them in similar situations, most notably the town elections.

These are gimmicks to manipulate user/account numbers and get existing customers to part with more money.
Existing customers aren't going to last forever. These servers are not growing stronger.

I'm sure some people want to play alone but if there isn't enough people, one day these servers may not be here to play alone.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Personally, I wouldn't want to enter a new game where the only way I could achieve an even playing field is by having a 25 year old account.
Well, first of all sorry for only pickiung that single sentence out of your post.

Yet I think UO long has it's fair share of uneven playing field. There used to be artifacts obtainable years ago that never got removed from the game but only no longer drop. Did exploited pets really all get fixed? There's bugged characters with stuck LMC, etc., accounts with grandfathered houses., free transfers between shards for 14-yo accounts vs need to pay for everyone that started after january 2008, high sdi invasion spellbooks not obtainable, etc. pp.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok getting a 3 to 5 extra damage every once in a while makes your shield better. I stand corrected. :lol:

FAKEUSERNAME

Adventurer
Well, first of all sorry for only pickiung that single sentence out of your post.

Yet I think UO long has it's fair share of uneven playing field. There used to be artifacts obtainable years ago that never got removed from the game but only no longer drop. Did exploited pets really all get fixed? There's bugged characters with stuck LMC, etc., accounts with grandfathered houses., free transfers between shards for 14-yo accounts vs need to pay for everyone that started after january 2008, high sdi invasion spellbooks not obtainable, etc. pp.

Although I disagree with you providing so much valuable information that the UO Team could easily source, these are some really great points.

It's probably part of the reason why Broadsword isn't doing the greatest with their acquisition of new customers.
I'm sure all of these could be pretty easily fixed.
I think a 25 year requirement being announced literally days ago is a bad start to fixing such problems.

Unless Mesanna plans on selling 25 year accounts on the black market, I just don't see it being such a great idea.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thank you.
I was worried that you were gonna try and somehow present that whole post as facts, which you didn´t. Some have done stuff like that in the past and that´s why I called you out on it.

As for the two facts, to me they are basically the same thing. And some people having some free flamestrikes during PvM doesn´t justify the complaining and moaning that´s been going on on the two forums since the information about the shield was released. It´s been a lot of "It´s not fair!" and "Why can´t I have one too?" sounding posts which is where the envy part comes in.

With that said, if you know something that makes it overpowered then by all means report that to the devs so they can tweak it if they agree with you.
Again not more loyal than the 13 year old who started in beta then lost the ability to play due to divorce etc 25 year veterans are blessed to have been lucky enough to be financially stable that's all ..

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Again not more loyal than the 13 year old who started in beta then lost the ability to play due to divorce etc 25 year veterans are blessed to have been lucky enough to be financially stable that's all ..
Actually I think there are quite a few people that keep their accounts open just to get rewards. And this exclusive reward will encourage that more.
Call it loyalty or something else. I know I kept mine open for a few years while playing another game.

I also played during my life's hardships and pleasantries.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Although I disagree with you providing so much valuable information that the UO Team could easily source, these are some really great points.

It's probably part of the reason why Broadsword isn't doing the greatest with their acquisition of new customers.
I'm sure all of these could be pretty easily fixed.
I think a 25 year requirement being announced literally days ago is a bad start to fixing such problems.

Unless Mesanna plans on selling 25 year accounts on the black market, I just don't see it being such a great idea.
It is what it is my dear @FAKEUSERNAME :)

Plus, there is lots of worse out there. Not an excuse, but just the reality. Ever played fallout 76? :yell:

I'd say (thinking of myself) you can have a year or two of fun in UO without even worrying about those stuff. Even longer if you manage to stay away from any sort of forums.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why haven't they added any 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, year vet rewards other than titles for 16, 18, and 22 years?
So those vets aren't as important ?
as well as new ethys

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I want a vet title for every vet that once had a house but lost it to IDOC

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why haven't they added any 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, year vet rewards other than titles for 16, 18, and 22 years?
as well as new ethys
They put out rewards every year. This is the first special one since 20.

The ethy idea is good. Go request the artist make an ethy dino. Like a raptor.

FAKEUSERNAME

Adventurer
Plus, there is lots of worse out there. Not an excuse, but just the reality. Ever played fallout 76? :yell:
You already know, 76 is my jam!
If you ever have any UO feedback send it to the people over at FO76.

Seriously.... they'll put it to better use, I promise you.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Numerous reasons. You seem very kind so I'll fill you in.

A lot could be said about this reason but I'll keep it short and simple.
A direct reason is because it requires the 25 year veteran to purchase an item for real life cash to utilize the veteran reward at it's greatest potential.

You can notice a trend here. This veteran reward and the recent castle contest, they aren't exactly pulling in new customers.
Instead of getting new customers, they got some players to activate subscription accounts for extra voting privileges.
Those accounts probably won't get renewed and still no new players. If anything, they probably lost players due to dissatisfaction during the contest.
I personally know people who have quit and taken others with them in similar situations, most notably the town elections.

These are gimmicks to manipulate user/account numbers and get existing customers to part with more money.
Existing customers aren't going to last forever. These servers are not growing stronger.

I'm sure some people want to play alone but if there isn't enough people, one day these servers may not be here to play alone.
I´m not a fan of the castle voting system either but I´m only addressing the shield issue here.
And UO is about making choices. So if the owner wants to transform it?
Well, then she or he will have to get the potion through the store or via gold ingame (unless it´s account bound). If not, they can wear it au naturel or don´t wear it at all. Or don´t claim it in the first place. Lots of choices there.
But I feel we´re straying from the path here. My point was and still is that the ones who make themselves look foolish are the ones making posts out of envy, bitterness, selfishness or [insert whatever negative reason].

The devs presented something as an appreciation for the ones that has been here for the whole 25 years and instead of being happy for them and moving on, some posters chose to start complaining immediately. Now that´s a trend I´ve been noticing...

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yes, life happens sometimes and it can suck.
However, your post kind of proves my point.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
as well as new ethys
Perfect example of this is that they removed all age restrictions on all ethy's... why remove that but keep a hard stance on the new shield? I could say the say the thing about wanting the prestige of riding an ethy serp dragon or boar etc. Same thing with the vet clothes that I'm pretty sure nobody picks... you have to be X years to claim those different colors but you can be a newbie account and wear them. To me it just seems like literally everything else they've made available to everyone (and adjusted things like ethys when they werent avail to everyone) but they are going to make these shields a hard line?

I agree with you @skett - if that's the stance they want to take then I'm good with it but why not make some prestigious rewards for accounts that are 23 years etc?

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They put out rewards every year. This is the first special one since 20.

The ethy idea is good. Go request the artist make an ethy dino. Like a raptor.
you are correct they release new items ever year but no special rewards the those years I list. I was just wondering why that is.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
you are correct they release new items ever year but no special rewards the those years I list. I was just wondering why that is.
Because posters whined like crazy about the Serpentine dragon so they relented. You still have to be at the correct age to choose them. I think the polar bear was the first age restricted item. Some are so proud they deserved it that they are still riding them.

Would you put out an age specific reward and know you are going to get pages full of whining on the forums?

FAKEUSERNAME

Adventurer

A lot could be said about this.

I'm going to have to say primarily, lack of creativity and poor decision making.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does the shield keep its flamestrike ability after being transmogrified?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does the shield keep its flamestrike ability after being transmogrified?
Yes. It does 3 to 5 damage on a balron with no eval. And first thing I will ask for when they ask what we want for a new dungeon is ask for a potion that adds lighting or fire damage to an existing shield since we know it can be done and not make it overpowered.

Then I'll bring up my want for a bane potion that can go on any weapon. They always shoot that down tho.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually I think there are quite a few people that keep their accounts open just to get rewards. And this exclusive reward will encourage that more.
Call it loyalty or something else. I know I kept mine open for a few years while playing another game.

I also played during my life's hardships and pleasantries.
Very happy of you for being able to keep your accounts active.

Now if you where over seas getting shot at would you have still worried about your accounts or when you do make it home and have no where to go and living in a tent with no power would you still been able to keep your accounts active? Or to make sure there was at lest on more meal on the table for kids then keeping an account active. There are so many reasons why people did not keep there accounts active. And this is just BS way of rubbing it into the faces of people that have been with the game since start but could not stick around all the time.

If anything this shield should be for anyone that had an active account when the game back out so people who's accounts where made from 97 to 98 lets just say maybe even for 99.

I am 5 years away from the 25 year mark because of reasons like the above I will not get into it more because I try to block that time out of my mind if I think back at what I have been throw and seen.

But I am very happy for the few that are able to claim it. it means you have not had a hard life like some of us have had to deal with. Just typing this is bring up a lot that I wish I could forget.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can not claim it for 60 and next 69 months. My account started in 97 but I chose to close it for periods. While I played other games.

No what it this what if that, from me.

Congrats to the 25 year players.

Knowing me I would have kept an account open thru all those things. When the addiction is in me, it is powerful.

FAKEUSERNAME

Adventurer
Yes. It does 3 to 5 damage on a balron with no eval. And first thing I will ask for when they ask what we want for a new dungeon is ask for a potion that adds lighting or fire damage to an existing shield since we know it can be done and not make it overpowered.

Then I'll bring up my want for a bane potion that can go on any weapon. They always shoot that down tho.

Sounds like you've thoroughly tested and approved of this item.
Ship it out to production asap.

FAKEUSERNAME

Adventurer
I can not claim it for 60 and next 69 months. My account started in 97 but I chose to close it for periods. While I played other games.

No what it this what if that, from me.

Congrats to the 25 year players.

Knowing me I would have kept an account open thru all those things. When the addiction is in me, it is powerful.
You would keep it open through war and homelessness but chose to close it for periods to play other games.

Okay.... :wall:

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If I transmog the shield with a hephaestus as source, will the Self Repair transfer?

FAKEUSERNAME

Adventurer
If I transmog the shield with a hephaestus as source, will the Self Repair transfer?
Why would you want to do that?

You would miss out on the opportunity for your veteran reward shield to break, causing you to die in a location where you can't retrieve your Monster-Proof Chest!
That's no fun!