• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Exotic Treasures

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You don't need to dig every single tile. With zero mining you have 1 tile radius around tile you trying to dig. So single dig cover 3x3 tiles area. Central tile and one tile in each 8 directions.
good to know ty

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If your using EC, once you're in general area of the part of the world where the treasure is, open the t map and zoom it to fill up the screen, open the game map centered on player and zoom it to the same size and compare them side by side for landmarks. The EC maps are very exact and require 0 mining

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
T-maps?!!?!?!?! i don't even have cartography......*sighs*
Who's thinking this quest arc up??? "Lets do it in 4 parts that only certain people can do certain parts, that will make everyone happy"....lol
Any starting character can do level 1 maps. Shovel. Sextant. Unlock and Telekinesis from npc. Buy starting magery, cartography, mining from npc. Don't even need lockpicking for low level maps. Buy npc sword and armor to fight the deadly mongbats, skeletons, zombies, and ratmen which spawn on level 1 maps. Collect event items.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any starting character can do level 1 maps. Shovel. Sextant. Unlock and Telekinesis from npc. Buy starting magery, cartography, mining from npc. Don't even need lockpicking for low level maps. Buy npc sword and armor to fight the deadly mongbats, skeletons, zombies, and ratmen which spawn on level 1 maps. Collect event items.
Now you tell me ;)
Just spent the last 2 days training cartography upto 75.7 so far.
Gonna try some maps after the Europa event tonight, hopefully 75 is enough to read Adept t-maps as i have 15 of them now.... :D

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kylie Kinslayer I give credit where it's due when it's do....

I do find gathering maps slaughtering things here and there and going to find them digging them up and actually finding an item each and every time fun and rewarding... I do work I get a reward... seems far more enjoyable than doing hours and hours of work and having nothing to show when your done.

As for the map locations I had ONE so far that quite honestly I went and must have tried 100 times to find the "spot"... checking rechecking and checking again... actually put it in a davies locker and tried to find it even... I almost gave up but then managed to hit it finally.... even with GM Mining on it seemed VERY illusive... but I did find it... perseverance pays off I guess.

In my experience, there are places like Verity Isle, some land out of trinsic, Buc's, etc, that have slight ridges in them. And even with GM mining, if I am off the ridge and the map is on the ridge, I won't find it even tho I'm within one tile. So if you see that ridge, you may have to walk it top and bottom

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
You don't need to dig every single tile. With zero mining you have 1 tile radius around tile you trying to dig. So single dig cover 3x3 tiles area. Central tile and one tile in each 8 directions.
Ahh.. thought the 1 tile deal was a fixed spot not a radius. Cool, good to know.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Any tips for digging up chest? I decode the map, put it dave jones locker got the coordinates. Using the EC went to the exact coordinates dug all around the place and nothing. This Arc has not been fun but frustrating to me.
The coordinates usually cover an area rather than a one tile slot. You are already using Davies locker and EC which makes things much easier. Once you make it to the place where the coords on your minimap match those from the Davies locker, time to start digging. Don't forget to set the map as the target for your shovel prior to digging. Dig in a couple of spots around you. If no luck move a bit (making sure you stay within the right coords) and try again.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
In my experience, there are places like Verity Isle, some land out of trinsic, Buc's, etc, that have slight ridges in them. And even with GM mining, if I am off the ridge and the map is on the ridge, I won't find it even tho I'm within one tile. So if you see that ridge, you may have to walk it top and bottom

Good to know this one I think was on Fire Island...

Now normally with the EC I can just walk right up to the spot and boom one hit I got it... don't have to be anywhere nearby with GM Mining... normally I dual client... one tamer and my T-Hunter on larger maps but 1-3 my T-Hunter just handles it himself... though I'm thinking I may need to train him up a new beetle... his is worn down to the nubs if you know what I mean... died probably 200 times too many... But I kinda get attached to my pets... and Treasure Cart has been with me a long time... maybe I'll just have to have one of my tamers let him chew on their pet for awhile... I don't know... but he is getting a bit worn.

I am enjoying this part though... I've always liked Treasure Hunting. I have done countless trade missions before this event... I did them for years great way to get pinks but it adds money to the coffers for the city... But the drop rate has been so bad on the quest part of it that it's just overly frustrating taken all the fun out of doing the trades.

Chazztizer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok I am asking some out of the box stuff so get the torches out!
Can you party and do these things? If my friend uses my locker, to decode can he dig it up and I help kill? same for the trader quest. Can we party he get the order I help kill but not loot anything and he get his chest back?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ya but thats T-hunting not the event.
your trying to hobble through a profession that most people who do have a dedicated player that does it and have the skills tailored to do it.
myself i can look at a map (or put in the Davies Locker) and go to the site and usually hit the chest on the first hit.
but sometimes it take s a bit - even with GM mining.

a lot of it is being able to figure out that damn pin on the map.
the treasure is not where the pin goes into the ground, its not even where the big red bulb on the end of the pin is.
you have to draw an imaginary line from the base of the pin and go to the right, then another down from the red part of the pin.
where those meet is where the chest is.

why they couldnt put the chest where the pin actually is is anyone's guess.
This makes sense. I made a T hunter with a token for the Zippy quest maps. The treasure is never where the pin is and Ive tried the X thing and cant get that to work. I use a locker and its never right on those coords. I put GM mining on the toon.

I dont understand where you draw lines on the pin like you say. Can you post a pic in CC. TY

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok I am asking some out of the box stuff so get the torches out!
Can you party and do these things? If my friend uses my locker, to decode can he dig it up and I help kill? same for the trader quest. Can we party he get the order I help kill but not loot anything and he get his chest back?
Yes. Party before you dig the map. I have had people help me with Zippy maps. The T hunter parties me before they dig. Once they open the chest you all have access. They would unparty and leave the loot to me. Don't close the chest.

ANGELICA

Visitor
Anyone else getting "You must defeat the guardians of the chest before you can open it" even though all of the guardians are dead.... :/

I get that same exact message. I made sure I got the Yearning for adventure? Huge treasure map sale! Then I went to Jhelom provisoners and scrolled through the guys dialog. Then I went to Hythloth and killed gargoyles and balrons and got few maps. Ive done two level 5 maps with no way of opening the chest, tried regular picks, master picks, and unlock spell, only get I must kill guardens first. The lower level maps I can do cause I can open those chest with the unlock spell.
I would like to know if any one else has opened up a level 5 new map?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I get that same exact message. I made sure I got the Yearning for adventure? Huge treasure map sale! Then I went to Jhelom provisoners and scrolled through the guys dialog. Then I went to Hythloth and killed gargoyles and balrons and got few maps. Ive done two level 5 maps with no way of opening the chest, tried regular picks, master picks, and unlock spell, only get I must kill guardens first. The lower level maps I can do cause I can open those chest with the unlock spell.
I would like to know if any one else has opened up a level 5 new map?
You have to kill the Pyramid thing on top of the Box. Physical damage seems to do it in.... takes a while though... AI Cu makes quick work of it if the AI hits fairly often.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Simple T-map digging -

• Get a sextant, or use something in your client that tells you your Latitude & Longitude (There's a command in Pinco's, if not vanilla EC, and Classic Client with UOAssist running has the "-where" command.) If you have UOAM or UOCartographer, even better.
  • Use the coordinates from the Davies locker as a starting point. Go to that location, as close as you can to that degrees-only point, and drop some sort of marker on the ground (bandage, 6 gold, etc.) Note that for a S/E coordinate, the first point is the Upper Left corner. For S/W, it is the Upper Right corner. For N/E it is the Lower Left corner, and for N/W it is the Lower Right corner.
  • Find the other 3 points of the 1 degree x 1 degree square. Make sure that you are going in the right directions. Mark each of them.
  • Start in one corner, And try to dig ahead of you, and off to the side that goes into the Square. If neither finds the chest, make 2 (or more, if you have mining) steps in a straight line along one side, and repeat. Continue until you find the chest, or reach the opposite side.
  • If you do not find it, shift 2 steps, and go back the opposite direction, digging ahead of you, and to the same compass direction to your side. (example, starting at top left digging ahead of you and to your south, when you hit the right side, step south 2 steps, and go back, digging every 2 steps, again ahead of you, and to the south).
  • Typically, you'll find the chest within 3-5 minutes at worst, within a dig or two at best. The 1x1 degree square is only something between 12x12 and 15x15 steps, after all, which would be about 36 to 49 dig attempts....

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I feel bad for all the people without treasure hunters, the items seem very easy to get... I did about 7 lvl 3 maps and ive got all the items except for the black candle.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As for maps not lining up, here's a classic example. The entire pin is to the left of or above the river on Amoeba Island. The chest is on the land to the RIGHT of the river, SOUTH of the lowest point of the pin. ALL my maps are offset by AT LEAST that much (I've had maps on Moonglow, that were 2 full screen widths in the CC EAST of where the pin indicated - though the coordinates from the Davies Locker were correct.

map offset.JPG

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As for maps not lining up, here's a classic example. The entire pin is to the left of or above the river on Amoeba Island. The chest is on the land to the RIGHT of the river, SOUTH of the lowest point of the pin. ALL my maps are offset by AT LEAST that much (I've had maps on Moonglow, that were 2 full screen widths in the CC EAST of where the pin indicated - though the coordinates from the Davies Locker were correct.

View attachment 71155
I understand that I had one when I put it in the Davies Locker gave me coords and the map picture was 3 screens away which is where i found it

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I use the locker and find the spot and dig around. Sometimes takes 20 mins.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Now you tell me ;)
Just spent the last 2 days training cartography upto 75.7 so far.
Gonna try some maps after the Europa event tonight, hopefully 75 is enough to read Adept t-maps as i have 15 of them now.... :D
Not quite - 71 for expert, 81 for adept, 91 for clever
BTW, when training carto, you use the city maps you buy from the carto guy in the New Haven dock house - write over them, resell them, buy more - first time I made a thunter I thought you had to go around buying blank maps, and it took a whole lot longer

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just did four Level 1 maps and got the following from the Plains:

Red Candle
Black Candle
Blackmoor
2 Pumice
Executioner's Cap
Grant Peace scroll
2 Intervention scrolls

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No it doesn't matter though I generally get 3 items from a level 5 and 2 from a level 1 map... I rather prefer doing level 1's... don't need to dual client with my tamer that way.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
has anyone else noticed when you dig up the Oblesky thing, right when it pops the Guardians a ray shoots out the top to the heavens.

have ya noticed it is different colors?

ive seen white, fire, blue and green so far.

thought that was interesting.

also, i went to all 3 dungeons and pulled 4 maps from each.
loot was the same for all 3, mix of all the items listed above.
so no need to do all 3 dungeons.

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It seems we are getting these items to put together a spell book, can you really cast the spells? If so I'd assume they will make these spell books obtainable after the 20th anniv. It would be kind of cool to only give it out for the anniv. But oh the crying u would hear.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If your using EC, once you're in general area of the part of the world where the treasure is, open the t map and zoom it to fill up the screen, open the game map centered on player and zoom it to the same size and compare them side by side for landmarks. The EC maps are very exact and require 0 mining
Only works with Pinco's UI, not the default EC. In the defalt EC you cannot zoom in on the tmap, only the game map. Just for info.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Deleted my last post, sometimes you can't stand in the way of the tide.
I got over my fear and loathing of all the greed and corruption in Trammel, and went over there to hunt...:owned:

It went perfectly.
Britain Mint for newspaper, Jhelom mapmakers for quest, then to Deceit.
Used my thrower to gather maps from Liches.
Liches Adept maps, Lich Lords Clever maps.
Used my Tamer for T-Hunting.
Landed exactly on the T-Spot, 1st attempt, very easy, very nice, very cool, lvl 3 tmap gave me 2 new items, as listed above.

Just got to pray no-one see's me in Trammel or that's my reputation out the window... :sword:

So far, whole story Arc, been very cool.
Part 1 trade quests, damn hard, low drop rate, even worse in Fel than in Tram - but I still enjoyed it. Did about 30 trade quests, got 3 items of my own, traded +1 extra.
Part 2, really great. Grabbed 9 maps pretty fast, and doing them is fun as always for T Hunting.

Doing a good job guys and girls.

Last edited:

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Good job there Carebear Cookie!

Naah, just kidding :hahaha:, good that you stepped over your initial discontent, joined in the fun and admit that as well.

As for the location of the tmaps, we always concluded, look where the pin enters the land on the map, then just a bit right/East of it. We never use coords, just the visual of the map (in CC)...

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
has anyone else noticed when you dig up the Oblesky thing, right when it pops the Guardians a ray shoots out the top to the heavens.

have ya noticed it is different colors?

ive seen white, fire, blue and green so far.

thought that was interesting.

also, i went to all 3 dungeons and pulled 4 maps from each.
loot was the same for all 3, mix of all the items listed above.
so no need to do all 3 dungeons.
thumb_ancient-aliens-invisible-something-meme-generator-sooooo-aliens-5220bc.jpg

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One map that has worked has been two screens over from the pin. Part two has been nothing but pancakes. I can't do the tmaps, and have wasted several hours. The maps do not mark the location. I'm about done with this crap.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good job there Carebear Cookie!

Naah, just kidding :hahaha:, good that you stepped over your initial discontent, joined in the fun and admit that as well.

As for the location of the tmaps, we always concluded, look where the pin enters the land on the map, then just a bit right/East of it. We never use coords, just the visual of the map (in CC)...
Thanks, it was a choice between "Like" or "Report" :grin:
My tamer is set up as a t-hunter, so does have mining which makes it much easier.
I loved the bandage idea in the post above, which marks out the square, never done that, and that makes it really easy, especially when you have mining.
As for getting the exact location from the map, wow, I'm good, but not that good. :)

I've enjoyed this Arc, because although I'm a Vet, and have all the characters, I've not really played them that much as I PvP so much.
Taking part in these events, is opening up my eyes again to things I forgot years ago.
( I can also see why they set it up like they did now I've had a go).

I emptied my Davies Locker on Europa at New Player House and set it to public if people want to put their decoded maps there to get coordinates . Just remember to remove the maps so noone else nicks them!
When I talk about greed and corruption in Trammel, you guys are completely exempted of course, one of the lights in the game. :)

One map that has worked has been two screens over from the pin. Part two has been nothing but pancakes. I can't do the tmaps, and have wasted several hours. The maps do not mark the location. I'm about done with this crap.
Hey,
Try and get mining on your template if you can, use Davies Locker and write down the rough co-ords, go there, use a sextant, and mark the corners with bandages, you cant go far wrong then.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There's this guild, if you are on Legends, named Fellowship of Skara Brae. They are rumored to ahve several t-hunters...

just an FYI

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Easiest way to find tmap locations is, first drop in davies locker for coords, then open UOCart and go to those coordinates. There should be a place on stratics to download Uocart if you don't have it. Makes it really easy.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Unless you don't have a Davis Locker.... ;)
Try again. Problem solved.

I emptied my Davies Locker on Europa at New Player House and set it to public if people want to put their decoded maps there to get coordinates . Just remember to remove the maps so noone else nicks them!

On LS, Don has a bunch of low maps in his locker for baby T hunters to take.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the use of the Davie's Locker, VERY helpful :D
Oh and i love the pond/river on the roof, awesome designing :love:

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Try and get mining on your template if you can, use Davies Locker and write down the rough co-ords, go there, use a sextant, and mark the corners with bandages, you cant go far wrong then.
Just a follow up on my progress 71 cart the first night, took 2.5 hours and some scrolls, second night I trained mining to 51 in under 20 minutes. At this level of skill I was able to pull 5 chests from expert maps in little under an hour. The mining made a HUGE difference.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Just a follow up on my progress 71 cart the first night, took 2.5 hours and some scrolls, second night I trained mining to 51 in under 20 minutes. At this level of skill I was able to pull 5 chests from expert maps in little under an hour. The mining made a HUGE difference.
oh ya!
i have GM on all my T hunters.
i pop chests from 10 tiles away.
it always makes me laugh when i hit the map with the shovel then hit the ground and the chest starts coming up almost off the edge of the screen.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Candles: Red and Black
Regeants: Blackmoor - Pumice - Executioner's Cap
Scrolls: Grant Peace - Intervention - Summon Perihelion
Q: Are these all the new items from the chests? Any more?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Candles: Red and Black
Regeants: Blackmoor - Pumice - Executioner's Cap - Obsidian
Scrolls: Grant Peace - Intervention - Summon Perihelion
Q: Anything else?