• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] Endless Journey is Here

SexySosarian

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Came back to see how things were with Endless Journey. Like many others, cannot log in.

I see little to nothing has changed in my absence... thanks for always setting a low bar, UO Team!

Phantasmagorian

Sage
Supporter
I assumed they said "48 hours", because it actually takes 2 hours. As in, under promise to over deliver. I guess that's not what they're doing or they ran into some unanticipated problems. Being a developer myself, I wonder how bad their database is messed up that they couldn't just easily hook a check for a new flag into the login process and let them log in. Any database conversions they needed to do to prep for this should have been done well before launch. Everything would then be ready and all they'd have to do is switch to the new login process.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am wondering if EA told them to get EJ up and running before they would up grade the Account system or maybe EJ had to be installed before the upgrade could be done. IMHO I do not think EA would give very many BS employees access to the Account Management System I know I would not if I were EA. LOGIC SUCKS

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think they vastly underestimated how many accounts there were. Think about it, accounts have never been deleted for 20 years. I'm guessing hundreds of thousands of accounts to switch over.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why in the whole wide world did they not AT LEAST activate every account that falls under the account we all created at the UO Forums page ? The page that became available before the release of EJ ? Good grief this didn't have to be this difficult.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Can anyone tell me why the accounts were not converted to endless journey a month ago? even a week ago?
Can you explain to me how to drive 70 MPH right now down an interstate that hasn't had the right-of-way cleared, let alone the roadbed built, yet?

That's how logical your comment sounds.

The way that the crappy account management system is set up (thank you EA for half-assing the job that it's too complex for BS to economically fix :p ) the second an account is given authorization for a change, that change is ACTIVE. There's no provision in the code for a delay.

That's not that big of an issue if none of the content is active at the time (and is only introduced with a server publish), such as adding a landmass. But, as with EJ, most of the stuff that EJ affects is already in-game, and people whose accounts were active before the launch could have manipulated the game in unwanted ways, or assumed that the new content was active when it wasn't, and spread bullpancakes far and wide (here, the other forums, other gaming sites, social media, etc.) and you know how people tend to believe "some random guy on FB" over a more factual report that occurs a day later.

StarstrukK

Adventurer
Can you explain to me how to drive 70 MPH right now down an interstate that hasn't had the right-of-way cleared, let alone the roadbed built, yet?

That's how logical your comment sounds.

The way that the crappy account management system is set up (thank you EA for half-assing the job that it's too complex for BS to economically fix :p ) the second an account is given authorization for a change, that change is ACTIVE. There's no provision in the code for a delay.

That's not that big of an issue if none of the content is active at the time (and is only introduced with a server publish), such as adding a landmass. But, as with EJ, most of the stuff that EJ affects is already in-game, and people whose accounts were active before the launch could have manipulated the game in unwanted ways, or assumed that the new content was active when it wasn't, and spread bullpancakes far and wide (here, the other forums, other gaming sites, social media, etc.) and you know how people tend to believe "some random guy on FB" over a more factual report that occurs a day later.
That's just the dumbest argument ever?

Why would any account that was converted to Endless Journey be able to log in early? lol? not sure if your being serious or just blindly defending a terrible uo development team.

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd love to know just how many accounts they're having to process and how long it's taking to do each account. *geeky mode* :p
There must be millions I'd imagine, what with all the trial accounts.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd love to know just how many accounts they're having to process and how long it's taking to do each account. *geeky mode* :p
There must be millions I'd imagine, what with all the trial accounts.
Have there been any conversions today for anyone? I'm wondering if we're going to have to wait until Monday.

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mine all still say offline (About 12ish accounts), but the account management page is showing as offline right now.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why in the whole wide world did they not AT LEAST activate every account that falls under the account we all created at the UO Forums page ? The page that became available before the release of EJ ? Good grief this didn't have to be this difficult.
And you expected anything less from EA, priceless.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
I had a bunch of old accounts, all but one have updated. One updated early this morning.

Zaiko

Visitor
I checked about 10 of my old accounts and NONE appear updated for EJ. Like everyone else, don't know why I expected more haha. Oh well

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the newest account I had, is 2008, that one hasn't activated, nor have any earlier ones.
I wonder if it's going by date/age, or just random

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was able to finally log in one of my accounts, unfortunately it wasn't one with the High Seas expansion, big surprise.

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
UO has been through so many producers over the years, I don't remember if there was ever an exceptional one.
The only one which stands out in my memory was SunSword (Anthony Castoro), I think he was around during the Samurai Empire expansion, he seemed very proactive when it came to UO, but my memory ain't what it used to be. lol
I miss CatHat, Draconi, Wilki and GrimmOmen, they made a point of interacting with people on the forums and in game.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That's just the dumbest argument ever?

Why would any account that was converted to Endless Journey be able to log in early? lol? not sure if your being serious or just blindly defending a terrible uo development team.
Thank you for confirming you are the one that has no clue about what you're talking about, and didn't even BOTHER to attempt to have the slightest bit of logic applied. Yes, your argument IS the dumbest ever.

NOWHERE did I defend a dev team, blindly or otherwise. I stated a KNOWN FACT.

The current Dev team is having to work with the EXISTING account management system, which was instituted about 10 years ago SEVERAL management groups ago, and incorporates an authorization system for expansions that is over TWENTY years old.

That PRE-EXISTING account management system is OFF OR ON. PERIOD. Not "don't activate until x day". ON or OFF.

It doesn't work like a season pass to a seasonal amusement park, where you can buy one months in advance, then be ready to go when the park opens the first day of open admission hits.
Instead, what you seem to want would be like having the Season Passes set up to where having one meant that a person could enter the park at any time before the season began, unsupervised, and mess around disrupting the maintenance and safety tests of the rides that can't yet be ridden legally, and the setup and inspections of the food booths that can't yet serve food.

Similarly, that ancient crappy code that they've not been able to budget a replacement for is why if you buy a game time code, but aren't going to play for 2 weeks, you use the code until right before you play the first time, NOT right after purchase, to save those days for later (at least, if you are intelligent, or not trying to save a home about to collapse). Nor can you PAUSE the expiration of time, for days you aren't going to play (even stopping things like house loss for persons in disaster situations, in the past, had to be done manually, on an account-by-account basis, OR just by turning the entire housing system off for everyone).

You're starting to sound like the Kickstarter and Humble Bundle supporters I've had to deal with who couldn't deal with the fact that the international shipping costs (for a bonus physical item for all pledges over $25, in the case of Humble Bundle) were greater than the PLEDGE cost of the item they were backing, and that the manufacturer should ship them their stuff for free, eating the $75 to ship something that the donor donated $25 for, or the $200 to ship a $140 Kickstarter pledge - and then screaming "because Amazon can ship stuff for free, everyone else can". :yell:

In other words, you think that reality should conform to your feels, NOT to what actually exists in the real world. Get over yourself.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Basara you forgot the most important part of the account management system and that it is still owned by EA and if people think EA is going to upgrade it well I hope they don't hold their breath waiting. I would not be surprised one bit if EA didn't tell BS that the accounts could not be upgraded till after EJ was launched.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Par say if i was a EJ returner and i logged into a really old account and found my old bankbox deleted - I'D BE PRETTY PISSED OFF - not to say the least

crazy foolish devs

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Par say if i was a EJ returner and i logged into a really old account and found my old bankbox deleted - I'D BE PRETTY PISSED OFF - not to say the least

crazy foolish devs
The stuff is still in the bank. Just cant get it out.

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I thought I'd give EJ a try having closed my account a year ago. I'd packed all my stuff in banks, backpacks and using giant beetles.

I was finally able to login today but found there has been a change to giant beetles - "You can't ride a pack animal that contains items.". A friend on a paid account can still mount his beetle when it has items in it's pack, so it seems there is another EJ restriction that I didn't find in the list :(

Edit: Nm, I just checked the restrictions again, missed it before -
Use Pack Animals Yes, but may not mount pack animals with items in their pack.

Last edited:

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as I can tell you can only log in, if you got the mail, that your acc has been converted.
Okay, obviously they don't send the mail right away when converting the acc. My main acc has been converted and shows "Endless Journey" in the acc mgmt, I can log in successfully, but I haven't gotten the mail...

Edit: Nm, I just checked the restrictions again, missed it before -
Use Pack Animals Yes, but may not mount pack animals with items in their pack.
Wow, didn't even notice that as well. Two of my chars definitely ride a blue beetle full of valuables.
That's just another nail in the coffin...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
One of my accounts is now EJ but I didn't receive any e-mail saying so. I did get e-mails when I changed the passwords, so they do know the right one! o_O

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't receive any e-mail saying so. I did get e-mails when I changed the passwords, so they do know the right one! o_O
Same here. I changed passwords on two accounts and got emails confirming. Both of those accounts can now enter EJ but no emails ever received confirming that, and ive checked spam folders etc but nothing received.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, logged in on two of my accounts, had a bit of a run around on a few characters which was nice to see them again. All characters had backpack pretty full of stuff which of course I've nowhere to put.

And heres the thing ... the one thing i was looking forward to was logging on again with my crafter/gatherer on siege .... I would have played there with this character, but guess what ... he logged out on a full beetle. Thats the end of that then.

My endless journey ends here, about 20 mins after it started. Good job BS... the EJ isnt fit for either new or returning players. Only you could fail in such an epic way. EA will be proud of you.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I am still feeling a little bewildered at some of the restrictions, why did they not think that people often leave with their bank full so they are sat on beetles full of stuff? Any sensible person would have thought of that already...:(

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just used 2 accounts that had 6 characters each and used them as storage. 1400+ free storage :)

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am still feeling a little bewildered at some of the restrictions, why did they not think that people often leave with their bank full so they are sat on beetles full of stuff? Any sensible person would have thought of that already...:(
People who don't play except on God accounts have no idea...

We've said it before, here it is again: "you only have once chance to make a good first impression". YUP, they blew it again. Just like their theme song says:

Oops!...I did it again

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Really, I think they should just make the game more playable and fun if they want us to play it. Let EJ's have their bank. Banks have item limits and are a basic function needed to play.

Oooh how I wish UO had a simpler design that made sense. Anyone else annoyed by all the steps and items needed to fire a cannon for example? Whoever thought the existing boat cannon system would be fun needs to be keel hauled. Why can't I load it up one time with ammo and click on it and let it fire like an auto turret until it is out of ammo?

Then they have the nerve to turn around and tell us all we can't macro or run a script. Why do players want those macros anyway? Yeah you guessed it! The game is an over complicated fossil and it takes macros to do anything. I mean anything! Everything takes forever and has lots of steps.

Thanks for putting in nice things like loading up a BOD by contained items, that is a step in the right direction!

NOW!!! Keep up the streamlining, with the focus of simple, fun content that makes sense. If you don't want hordes of multi-boxers, simple! Make more fun solo content, that is challenging, well designed, and has good rewards! Make more stuff like the raised garden bed, that eliminates tedium.

I don't want to find a group to do everything, and bottom line, skill based play is more rewarding and fun than convoluted stuff one must have multiple macros to do. Go after crazies who abuse the game out of greed, not loyal players who want a macro to save their hands and sanity.

Last edited:

Treasure Hunter

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
all my accounts were updated to EJ accounts sometime during the night, Didn't get an email at all, but every account I've ever had was updated overnight.

*EDIT*
It's going to take days to go through all these characters/accounts to see what they are wearing and whats in their "backpacks".

If they aren't going to let EJ account use their banks, a good idea would have been to let us at least look in them to see what accounts are worth subbing to. (It's a guessing game on what account had banks full of stuff and what accounts didn't) :(

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One of my accounts made it to EJ. It was an old one. It had one toon that was empty. I hated skilling back then also so I only made 1 toon.

I can only make 2 toons, so dont delete any toons and think you can replace them. Still have some that have not activated.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah all but 2 of mine are...and all of them are empty....

I noticed that with the last RtB but I was hoping it was just a glitch or something.....

I ran auctions on Origin WAY back when it was still new and I had a few chars on one account..one was the auctioneer, obviously, and I KNOW she had tons of stuff on her from unsold auction items...original pieces of blackrock that we worked into a little RP story...she's not even ON the account anymore.

Out of the 7 now EJ accounts, 3 of them are 6 months old and 2 of them are 7 months old but only have 1 noob char on each, the 2 I cannot get into MIGHT have been trial accts that I never paid for but they should still be considered right?

I never got e-mails either.

Treasure Hunter

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
One of my accounts made it to EJ. It was an old one. It had one toon that was empty. I hated skilling back then also so I only made 1 toon.

I can only make 2 toons, so dont delete any toons and think you can replace them. Still have some that have not activated.
I have accounts that haven't been played since 2000 thru 2002, Sure would be nice to see what accounts had their banks packed up before quitting.
They should have let us at least see what's in our banks. (could have been a good reason to re-sub but it's just a guessing game now) so unless my backpacks are loaded too I won't be re-subbing any of them.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I recieved emails a day before all my accounts went active. All are now activated.