• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS [UO.Com] 20th Anniversary Grandfathered Castle Giveaway!

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
Also Regarding the Clops Houses!
I thought that was 5 Houses Total:
1 Luna East
1 Luna West
1 trammel Castle
1 fel castle
1 ter Mur House

But Now I am hearing that the Fel one is no longer available??? that the ""previous"" owner is taking back??

is this related to @hungry4knowhow situation???

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I would not sell the castle no matter where it was..it's grandfathered in...I wouldn't give up a grandfathered house no matter the cost :) And I SURE as hell won't put it on Atlantic if I win.
A normal castle on Atlantic goes for around 8-10 platinum these days if it's in trammel. A grandfathered castle would be worth at least double that. You would really be willing to give up 20 billion gold when you can just sell it and buy one on Origin for a few hundred million, keeping all the gold?

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Tell you where I WOULD put it though..if I were to win....

Siege....hands down :)

And before you say ~But you can already HAVE a second house there~

I know..I do....three actually...but a castle there is worth more.

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
A grandfathered castle would be worth at least double that
You cant transfer a Grandfather status, as soon as you transfer the castle to another account, you will LOOSE the Grandfather status.... you really need to think on which account you will put the Castle, bc you can no longer use that account for any other House related transaction....

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now Scribbles remember I have known you for a long time there kiddo.
I do not wish to drag out the dirt as you tend to do when you get on your high horse... lets keep this civil.
Let's keep this to the need of players who want to try for this.

I for one don't need any of clops homes ... but as Captn N pointed out its the value that most are after... is why I did a few of mine.
I say good luck to all who try.
If you need to change the e mail on the already entered houses the statue has a menu where you can change the e mail address.

I will say the odds of getting the Atlantic house's is like the Mega lottery game...
Same with the 3 castles the non party attendees will go for ... there is a lot more of us not going....and it don't stop the party attendees from trying too

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You cant transfer a Grandfather status, as soon as you transfer the castle to another account, you will LOOSE the Grandfather status.... you really need to think on which account you will put the Castle, bc you can no longer use that account for any other House related transaction....
Oh, I didn't know that. I could have sworn I've seen people sell grandfathered houses before. Thanks for the information.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I love all the "ive heard" remarks. where are you getting your info? because its not from an official UO newsletter, the website, in game town crier, facebook page, em event page etc etc... the "ive heard" only comes from someone lying, or someone talking that shouldnt be talking.

#collusion

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So I'm wondering what if you have multiple accounts 1 of them wins, but it's not your main account can you have one of the grandfathered house put on your main account instead of the winning account? Then you could sale it to someone else if so and it would grandfathered in.

Not sure if this makes since...

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ive heard UO was closing down a few years ago and a few more times before and after that.....

@scribbels

I joke Friend

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Ive heard UO was closing down a few years ago and a few more times before and after that.....
Heck "they" have been saying that every year since I started playing.. so that's been 13 years that I know of... *shrugs*

but I guess they will eventually be right one of these years....

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What is the advantage of "grandfathered"? Being in an area where castles are no longer allowed? So if you lose the grandfather status, the castle couldn't remain there any more?

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, I can't enter so that's one person less to worry about. ;) I already have grandfathered houses on my account and I'm sure not going to lose them all just to place a castle.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So I'm wondering what if you have multiple accounts 1 of them wins, but it's not your main account can you have one of the grandfathered house put on your main account instead of the winning account? Then you could sale it to someone else if so and it would grandfathered in.

Not sure if this makes since...
That would only let someone keep the house you already have. If you dont have a good spot or castle, it wont matter.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Prince my dear you can too they just add it on and it will not hurt the exsisting houses you have ... now that is the castles from the anniversary giveaway.

AS for how I know its possible to be 180... Mesanna was saying it on a Meet and Greet ... go read the back reports Larisa has made....

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How did you get shorted? I had 3 accounts on my Master account, and got the 500 each for them.
6 master accts all but 9 of the 55 accounts over 10 years old and I got exactly 500 per master account.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So who's going to pass around the office pool game so we can purchase the names of the already pre-determined castle winners guesses..I would like to buy Lady Storm, Larisa and ummmmm..oh who's that one guy ??
one or two will probably go to people not on the special friends list, just so it can be said "See it wasn't rigged"

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well......
One must take it on faith that honesty is the case of who gets the castles gifts.
You take things on the faith of honesty.
ITs a clickie... you are registered to win... the chances of winning are on how many players have accounts that are paid for and how many of them you have entered. (some wont do more then a few as it gets tedious)
The amount of accounts only raises up the odds by a fraction of a point...
A program is not a person and it goes on steps of a non human thought scale.
IT cant pick and choose...
if 120,000 to 50,000 players enter, its your number of accounts + everyone else's + the random generator = a castle gift.
Personally I do not think I have a snowballs chance in hadies to get one. The odds are that big.
And that's my honest opinion.

Last edited:

Anchwor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I won a roku I grandfathered house and sold it to Tink. It stayed grandfathered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anchwor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's the house that is grandfathered not the account that owns it when it is a prize

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Prince my dear you can too they just add it on and it will not hurt the exsisting houses you have ... now that is the castles from the anniversary giveaway.

AS for how I know its possible to be 180... Mesanna was saying it on a Meet and Greet ... go read the back reports Larisa has made....
Well then! I guess I'm in, thanks for clarifying! I'm so paranoid about grandfathered houses that I've never even customized a single one. ;)

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Also Regarding the Clops Houses!
I thought that was 5 Houses Total:
1 Luna East
1 Luna West
1 trammel Castle
1 fel castle
1 ter Mur House

But Now I am hearing that the Fel one is no longer available??? that the ""previous"" owner is taking back??

is this related to @hungry4knowhow situation???
Please elaborate on how a "previous owner" takes back a house that belonged to someone else. I would love to hear the story behind this load of crap.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think in another post thread a player has requested Mesanna to return one of the castles they bought with an account Clops tossed in to own it till said player could arrange her own to keep it. Mesanna took the house off the list till this dispute was settled. This is I think what AR is implying. But its only the castle.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think in another post thread a player has requested Mesanna to return one of the castles they bought with an account Clops tossed in to own it till said player could arrange her own to keep it. Mesanna took the house off the list till this dispute was settled. This is I think what AR is implying. But its only the castle.
So someone bought an account , which is frowned upon by the powers that be, and yet the main power helped someone get a castle back related to that account ? I'm just going to let out a big ole SIGH...and move on.

Abyss-

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Suddenly a good number of the banned accounts turn out to be shortly sold to other players? Sounds a bit like damage control. They should look into proof of transactions of according value. And still that could have been payments for rares and not the castle.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Well now I am curious..as brought up by my ~Glass is half empty~ counterpart ;)
:naughty-angel:

I don't see how they could accurately make a distinction between party-goers and non-party-goers. They didn't collect email addresses or account names for the party signups (which was a serious oversight that has the potential to cause major issues at the party), so there really isn't a way to solidly match people up.

The terms of this raffle remain nebulous. Is it per player? Per email? Per master account? Per UO account? What if one person wins three castles on different accounts? What if one person wins a castle on the stone then wins another at the party? Is that possible? And will they allow it? And do they even have the capability to safeguard against it if they wanted to?

I think it's pretty cool they are giving away so many great houses!

There are for sure 6 castles and 2 Clops Luna houses, so that is a minimum of 8 people who are going to receive extremely valuable houses for free.

Also a suggestion for the people who win the castles: make sure to put them on Atlantic. Even if you don't play Atlantic, you can just sell it for a ton of gold and use that gold to buy a castle on your real shard, plus you will have many platinums of profit still on top of that.
Meh. No thanks.

You know, I DID win a grandfathered castle once, at the 16th anniversary party on Test Center. It was the prize for a trivia contest. When it became clear I was doing well, I started getting numerous party invitations. It was fairly distracting actually, as I was trying to concentrate on the event. After I won I finally accepted one out of curiosity. It was someone offering 3B to place it on Atlantic for them. Now I was on top of the world that day, mind, but that was pretty aggravating. There I was feeling like I'd won the game and people are just seeing me as a mark of opportunity and hassling me before I even get off the stage.

And no, I did not take my castle on Atlantic and sell it. It was MY prize and I took it on MY shard, and anyone else who wins a castle should absolutely do what they want to with it. I barely play on Chesapeake anymore, but watching that castle go up and using it for years was worth more to me than some Atlantic wheel and deal (that quite frankly would have been pretty risky for me anyway as I would have had no choice but to rely on third parties to eventually shuffle the money to where I actually wanted it).

I say if someone wins a castle and wants it on Balhae, more power to 'em. Don't forget that "grandfathered" SHOULD mean that you can keep your current house on that account, as I did. That can be a significant factor to people who already have housing they value, whatever its worth is or isn't in Atlantic gold. Atlantic may be the center of intershard commerce, but not everyone plays that way.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I think maybe what people do will depend on whether or not they actually have a castle already. If I won I would definitely just want it placed on Europa and I would be really glad to have it there! :D

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So someone bought an account , which is frowned upon by the powers that be, and yet the main power helped someone get a castle back related to that account ? I'm just going to let out a big ole SIGH...and move on.
NO, you misread it. He bought the castle, and got the account for FREE. *wink,wink* :D

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I love all the "ive heard" remarks. where are you getting your info? because its not from an official UO newsletter, the website, in game town crier, facebook page, em event page etc etc... the "ive heard" only comes from someone lying, or someone talking that shouldnt be talking.

#collusion

for someone who wanted to quit the game you are actually quite often telling everybody your opinion about the game you wanted to leave even if no one is interested in....

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmmm...
To that end idk....

It can happen I guess if someone was super lucky and owned a ton of accounts ..which I do know there are players out there with way more then I do.
And that's saying something!

I look at it this way...
Say we still got around 30 to 50 k** players... and 3/4s run around on Atlantic and read the posts by the Dev...
Now that is a greater number then most of you are using when it comes to this castle giveaway.
Do the math..
27 shards worth of players have the chance to try for one of the 3 given out from the TC1 statue link.

For those who care how many are going to the party that's a very smaller number by far for a chance for a castle out of the 3 given there.
150 or 180 registered to go to the party is way less then the multi k of players that in game list will be.

Btw they don't need your game account # or your master id.... your invitation has your name on it and if the Dev are like most when it comes to spreadsheets.....
I wouldn't be surprised when you check in your given a ticket for the drawing...
I do not think the Dev or crew who are in on this party will blurt out game account names or e mails in public.
** Many players own more then 1 account so this number will be a lot less but do add up to the estimated number.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you haven't spent any sovereigns yet, it may look like each of your accounts received 500 sovereigns. However, the information on the official website about the store and in the newsletter last year when they gifted some sovereigns to players makes it pretty clear that the sovereigns are shared by all the individual UO accounts attached to a specific "master account wallet."

So people like me who linked multiple accounts to specific e-mail addresses were "shorted" in comparison to other players who didn't do the same thing or who later had Broadsword reassign their accounts to new e-mail addresses, possibly for purposes of selling the accounts or because they knew this is the way Broadsword planned to run contests and give-aways. I have 9 accounts attached to one e-mail address and 10 attached to another e-mail address. But as far as Broadsword was concerned for the sovereign give away, I only had two accounts. And more than likely, that's all they will treat me as having for the castle giveaway as well.
So, you experienced a bug, and didn't do anything about it.

1 Master account. 3 accounts. I got 1500 sovereigns.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
So, you experienced a bug, and didn't do anything about it.

1 Master account. 3 accounts. I got 1500 sovereigns.
You... did?

From the 9/23/16 newsletter:

Screenshot (372)_LI.jpg

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah it was only supposed to be per MASTER account not per GAME account...you have one master account with 8 accounts attached to it you didn't get 500 x 8 sovereign...you got 500.

I was 2 months shy of 10 years so I didn't get any lol

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's hard to imagine how any grandfathered house giveaways, EM drops, new expansions, game changes, or anything are not pre-planned for someone to make money any more. Powerscrolls... who's so say someone didn't buy 300 wrestling powerscrolls for 200k the month before the pet publish? Who's to say people don't tell their friends about slayers, spacing, ect. at events?

If the Dev team will not stop people from scripting house placement (looks at a few of the Luna houses for example,) or scripting Idocs.... or if in fact... the Dev team and Mesanna says to "win any way you want." Yea... it's hard not to imagine collusion.

If I've learned anything from Ultima Online it's that 'if there is a way to make money, someone will.' It's usually those in power... just saying. I'm not activating any accounts to give them $14 extra for an entry... no thanks.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Even though I have 9 accounts on the one master I only received 500... like was stated... if you got 1500 for 3 accounts linked to one master... then you were bugged... and got more than you should have.

Personally I felt ripped off since before any of that "master" account BS I had 9 separate accounts all with separate emails... but the way they talked about setting up your master and linking your accounts sounded like you could get banned and lose accounts if you kept them separate... which I would have preferred... I still think I was ripped off and should have gone ahead and made 9 separate master accounts with 9 separate emails... then I would have gotten 4500 sovereigns...

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I only got 500 and was happy about it, I never thought we were supposed to get 500 for each account...
I only had 5 at that time active and hadn't logged in for months after they gave those out I really didn't think I was going to get any.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
who's so say someone didn't buy 300 wrestling powerscrolls for 200k the month before the pet publish?
C'mon now.. that was EASY to predict there. Even my dumb ass snagged a bunch of wrestling, anat and tactics scrolls knowing the price would spike high shortly after revamp. Sure, it was pure speculation on my part... but it does not take someone with "inside connections" to position yourself for what is coming as long as you keep informed.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
C'mon now.. that was EASY to predict there. Even my dumb ass snagged a bunch of wrestling, anat and tactics scrolls knowing the price would spike high shortly after revamp. Sure, it was pure speculation on my part... but it does not take someone with "inside connections" to position yourself for what is coming as long as you keep informed.
True, I guess I could care or "keep informed." The other half of me has repeatedly said however, that I should walk away from this stale, money crop of a game. Too much Shadowguard... so little time.... Maybe someone can go farm abscesses with 3600 luck in felucca on Sonoma shard for legendaries for me to $$$..... Everyone who knows me knows I haven't played in like a year anyway. The only reason we pay is so my wife/daughter have something to do. And they are very tired of it, as those powerscrolls you snagged up are too expensive for them. My wife hates Mesanna (all Japanese do.) And it's just not the same the past half a year or so as it was 3-4 years ago.

Destroying crafting was the death of this game, about 2-3 years ago. In walked legendaries and people with 20 year accounts who can click a luck statue for 5000 luck. Congrats account buyers. Get those 19 property legendaries!!! Thanks vets, xferr those items!!!

All housing is just a giant scheme to make money anyway. Otherwise the team would give us all 2-3 houses per each account anyway. Then the shards wouldn't look so freaking empty and the housing market would have came back.... This is just a ploy running off of Clops' happening that is another scheme to get people to buy accounts and enter a contest, the way I see it. Sorry.