• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Unattended Scripting Tamers Beware!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Most likely not jump of a cliff because everyone does for simple reason it doesnt benefit me. Tell me this if you found a quarter on the street will you track down owner as per law to report money found to local authorities? Or better yet if you had a choise to do whats best for a stranger or do whats best for you and youre family which will you pick? A strangers happiness is good and all but by helping youre family you benefit youre self from making youre love ones happy. Rules are there for reasons other people wanted but in reality you make rules for youreself. Personaly I click efvery piece of tos stuff that i see whiout reading the legal cause well im not a lawyer and i want to play the game or use the program most of many tos goes against us law. You must of downloaded something for free either it be music,a picture, a video or even you tube. Copriright law is a piece of uselessness made by the corporations to milk you and no longer used how it was intended does it mean before you look at anything on the internet you need to compare it to all copririgt works to make sure you are not breaking the law?
Anyway these are just analogies simply people will break the law to suit there needs its the natural way of things. Especially TOS which doesnt apply like law as you seen in many examples someone will break the no blocking tos rule to catch another breaking the rule and find a way to explain that ther not doing it cause it's not there fault if the guy cant move from that spot no matter which way they explain it the intentions are clear they broke a rule to stop another from breaking another rule.
Heh wow we can go on like this for another 11 years :)
Here, it's more likely to be a pound, and I'm more likely to toss it into the charity box somewhere.

This is NOT about needs - red herring there, thrown in by you. Nice try, no cigar. This is not about wants either. This is about the fact that EA have a rule about no third party progs and no afk use of them or macros. No bots, essentially. You CHOSE to accept that rule. And don't give me the guff about not reading before you clicked accept. That's like signing anything a lawyer hands you without reading it. If you choose to be that daft, on your own head be it, but don't try and cite it as a reason you don't have to obey the rules; it's not going to work. Me, if I'm signing it, I'm reading it, as several large companies have found to their cost when it turns out I know their rules better than they do!

No one NEEDS to run a bot. Wanting to is very different. It's like the difference between WANTING coffee but NEEDING water. One is a matter of survival, the other is a desire. And no, I don't care who told you different, you won't actually die if you don't get coffee. No matter how much you think you want to!

See? It's a matter of choice. You can choose to obey the rules that are there for the benefit of all, or you can choose to be selfish. At which point I will choose to stop you. Choices. You made yours, I made mine.

And no, I don't block. I simply use their own bots against them. I would back any player who does the same, or anything else. After all, if you choose to break the rules outright, you can't complain if someone else bends them a little to stop you. Wasps don't complain to loud when they get stung, do they?

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
YAY! Another thread on how to be a jerk to your fellow player. Its not like we have lost enough people yet...how about making more go now too? Perhaps you didnt notice, but quite a few players have returned to the game for factions and the events...are you so quick to make them turn around and leave again?

Sorry Shanshu but your thread reeks of griefing...we all know it, so do you.

@ the mods...and you wonder why UO doesnt back these forums? look at the content you allow under the guise of *warnings*...*shakes head*

U

UOKaiser

Here, it's more likely to be a pound, and I'm more likely to toss it into the charity box somewhere.

This is NOT about needs - red herring there, thrown in by you. Nice try, no cigar. This is not about wants either. This is about the fact that EA have a rule about no third party progs and no afk use of them or macros. No bots, essentially. You CHOSE to accept that rule. And don't give me the guff about not reading before you clicked accept. That's like signing anything a lawyer hands you without reading it. If you choose to be that daft, on your own head be it, but don't try and cite it as a reason you don't have to obey the rules; it's not going to work. Me, if I'm signing it, I'm reading it, as several large companies have found to their cost when it turns out I know their rules better than they do!

No one NEEDS to run a bot. Wanting to is very different. It's like the difference between WANTING coffee but NEEDING water. One is a matter of survival, the other is a desire. And no, I don't care who told you different,
you won't actually die if you don't get coffee. No matter how much you think you want to!

See? It's a matter of choice. You can choose to obey the rules that are there for the benefit of all, or you can choose to be selfish. At which point I will choose to stop you. Choices. You made yours, I made mine.

And no, I don't block. I simply use their own bots against them. I would back any player who does the same, or anything else. After all, if you choose to break the rules outright, you can't complain if someone else bends them a little to stop you. Wasps don't complain to loud when they get stung, do they?
And I dont you can do that all you want I can't stop you but I don't UN so it doesnt effect me in the least personaly not because i care about what the TOS says it's because I have everything i need and im mostly merchant buy low sell high so non of that effect me.
Just checked now which i havent looked at this thing for years wow the TOS and the ROC are old. Maybe it's my eyes deceiving me but i cant find the unattended macroing or 3rd party software in it anymore. the only referance i can find for them is a news archive of 1999 banning and uo: whats the official word? and they point to the ROC and TOS but I cant find them in neither of the official terms. Also a Unattended macroing policy updated in jan 2003 and a unattended not permited in 1999 about siege perilious and it points to more information here but the page has being removed.
Though in neither the TOS or ROC is this placed in at least what i can see can you check to make sure?

shanshu

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
asked me (since i'm working on my masters) to do it for him and i said HELL
and

he deserves it.
Your entire contribution to this thread can be summed up by these two pieces from your post.

I think most of us deduced that you were:

a. Working on a degree of some kind and

b. Had a distorted sense of entitlement

Oh and nice back peddling. Kudos to you!

shanshu

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since UO is a privately owned and managed video game and not the real world, the rules specifically set forth by the owner and agreed to by every player dictate what's right and what's wrong, not the moral or ethical rules that govern real life situations. Therefore, scripting is most definitely ALWAYS wrong, and NEVER is necessary. Any action in game can be done manually and does not require any script to complete. Choosing to script an action is an individual decision, not something that is a necessity to achieve any end in the game.

Why don't you go to Dictionary.com and look up the word SOPHOMORE so you can spell it correctly in the future? You'd think that someone that's claiming such high minded thinking would correctly spell a word that they're using as an intended insult.
I have to run to pick-up my wife from work, but I just have to say that it is a day to remember when Connor Graham and Shanshu fight on the same side.

*sniff*

Thank you for your support Connor.

shanshu

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They never respawned. I dont if he gated them to a boat a house or what but where ever he did those bulls did not come back and neither did I I just told everyone who I know about him and if they see them go mess up his gameplay and then I went tamed elsewhere. Havent being to jhelom since it's being almost 6 months since then.
Next time, take a quick run around the island. I keep finding bulls in the SE buildings.

Also, there are some who do not release their tamed bulls, making it impossible to tame them yourself or to allow new ones to spawn. Simply drag a serpent down from the North into the pens, wait till you are next to the bull, invis or peace and the serp will take out the tamed bull, thus allowing a new one to spawn. Rinse and repeat. Just make sure to kill the serp.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doubtful as they that use scripts use it for many things other than bots like skill training and etc.. and are really community minded people more so than most. These are the players that give out millions to a begginer to stick around teaching other players about how to play the game who roleplays who provide the community with what they need they are youre best uo friends youre pvp competition, youre guildmasters, guildmates, the player who gave you there house, the player who taught you how to kill youre first monster, the player who repaired youre equipment and gave you armor so you can survive in the wilderness. They are fellow uo players who chosen another path than you are on. Chosen to go against the TOS though am sure if something in the tos says you have to sell youre first born to ea then I think most will go against it but there still some that will sell the kid. And lets not forget how many people curse the hell out of someone in pvp fights they are all essentially breaking the TOS.
Cheating has nothing to do with community, it's about making UO easier than it was supposed to be. It's about lazy greedy players who put material and skill gain above the rules the rest of us follow. You may count those players as your friends, but I don't. I have first hand experience of dating a person who confessed he used to cheat in UO. I've seen roadkill that had more drive in life. If that was a casual cheat, I dread to think how badly the determined ones cope with the demands of RL. I don't consider cheats friendship material though. Why hang around with a group of players who need that much help to do stuff? In a game too... Sheesh.

Wenchy

U

UOKaiser

Cheating has nothing to do with community, it's about making UO easier than it was supposed to be. It's about lazy greedy players who put material and skill gain above the rules the rest of us follow. You may count those players as your friends, but I don't. I have first hand experience of dating a person who confessed he used to cheat in UO. I've seen roadkill that had more drive in life. If that was a casual cheat, I dread to think how badly the determined ones cope with the demands of RL. I don't consider cheats friendship material though. Why hang around with a group of players who need that much help to do stuff? In a game too... Sheesh.

Wenchy
My point is that most of youre uo friends are cheaters you just dont know it and the one person who confess that to you you were dating so thats a whole different story in a different world than the game world were in so thats bias opinion in that. Community I mean they do contribute to communtity there plenty of them that I know there great people the ones you thinking about are scammers dupers and grifters who are against community. Even though do you know many of the players that the community worship as founders of things in UO events etc where as you call it cheaters I wont mention names as i dont want to tarnish there legacy in anyway.
I believe most do it cause they being around so long nothing is new to them and ofcourse if they only have 3-5 hours of playtime a week when you think they be finished whith there character to be able to play as we all know it already if youre skill is not gm and above do you get pleasure of doing repetative task with nothing to show for it? Anyway am sure they have other reason just like I have a reason to not go to church and enjoy life in anyway i can even if thats breaking the no cellphones in elevator law or no icecream in the back pocket law or the no loitering law but am not saying people should do it am saying it's really not my business if they do or if they being training stealing since 98. I actually wish they remove the required clothes law in united states :) I can just close my eyes for the ones i dont want to look at.
I kinda miss the old boat training by the server line can you believe we had to resort to that beforte they finaly removed the anti-macro code unbeliebable.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ok all I have to say is Cry me a River!..... and Kudo's to the OP..... keep up the good work.

To whomever it way who complained that their "Friend" worked 10 hours a day tough luck..... You know if you "Friend" works so much they ought to be able to afford to buy themselves and advanced character token some jewels and just tame occasionally like 90% of other people.

Also It's not that bad working a TAMER the real way.... ATTENDED. I should know I have 6 of them...... It's not that horrible and it isn't that difficult.

However I will say this ..... Scripting skills in NOT comparable with script mining, Lumberjacking or gold farming. Scripting skills only ruins your own experience in the game. But that's just my opinion and maybe it's because I role-play that I feel that it takes time to build a character and the more you play that character and the more you work the character the more character you build...... and the more attached you become to that character ..... I know I find it far more endearing to play a character that my own hard work created...

What has "Ruined" the game and the economy is the Scripters who have made it impossible for the average regular joe to make it in game. The Dupers who have ruined every good thing there is.... and the scammers who destroy the game experience for everyone else, and finally the greifers who have driven off so many of the decent folk who just wanted to have fun. As well as EA games who has gone out of their way to drive the game into oblivion.

U

UOKaiser

Ok all I have to say is Cry me a River!..... and Kudo's to the OP..... keep up the good work.

To whomever it way who complained that their "Friend" worked 10 hours a day tough luck..... You know if you "Friend" works so much they ought to be able to afford to buy themselves and advanced character token some jewels and just tame occasionally like 90% of other people.

Also It's not that bad working a TAMER the real way.... ATTENDED. I should know I have 6 of them...... It's not that horrible and it isn't that difficult.

However I will say this ..... Scripting skills in NOT comparable with script mining, Lumberjacking or gold farming. Scripting skills only ruins your own experience in the game. But that's just my opinion and maybe it's because I role-play that I feel that it takes time to build a character and the more you play that character and the more you work the character the more character you build...... and the more attached you become to that character ..... I know I find it far more endearing to play a character that my own hard work created...

What has "Ruined" the game and the economy is the Scripters who have made it impossible for the average regular joe to make it in game. The Dupers who have ruined every good thing there is.... and the scammers who destroy the game experience for everyone else, and finally the greifers who have driven off so many of the decent folk who just wanted to have fun. As well as EA games who has gone out of their way to drive the game into oblivion.
I agree whith you the scammers,dupers, and grifters they can all go to hell or the sims whichever comes first. Though the resource miners lumberjackers whatever havent affected me not one bit val going for 400 and higher per ingot verite going for over 200 per ingot aga over 150 per ingot gold over 100 per ingot bronze over 50 per ingot copper over 40 per ingot shadow over 60 per ingot dull over 25 per ingot and iron over 16 per ingot I think prices are much better than they were years ago when they were like 5 per iron and so forth. The resource scripters know they need to sell high at market price if they try to sell low well here comes people like me who buy everything they have faster than they can produce it and sell it at market value making our profit :) same goes with any other resource.
PS. Thank you Ea for randomizing resources made everything nice and expensive making sure I get paid :)

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
lol

last week script tamers origin have improved suits of my players!!!!! those that did know how

love fel and idiot scripters that cant insure there items!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree whith you the scammers,dupers, and grifters they can all go to hell or the sims whichever comes first. Though the resource miners lumberjackers whatever havent affected me not one bit val going for 400 and higher per ingot verite going for over 200 per ingot aga over 150 per ingot gold over 100 per ingot bronze over 50 per ingot copper over 40 per ingot shadow over 60 per ingot dull over 25 per ingot and iron over 16 per ingot I think prices are much better than they were years ago when they were like 5 per iron and so forth. The resource scripters know they need to sell high at market price if they try to sell low well here comes people like me who buy everything they have faster than they can produce it and sell it at market value making our profit :) same goes with any other resource.
PS. Thank you Ea for randomizing resources made everything nice and expensive making sure I get paid :)

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, as for opening a gate and having the scripter walking into it...nothing illegal about that. If they were there to begin with or not relying on a program to move the character for them, they wouldn't have any problem with the gate. If someone opens a gate next in a path or even next to me, I know how to walk around it.

But for the record, if you are outside the guard zone, there is no gump popping up asking you if you want to enter.

As for tampering with scripters, kudos. Ultimately, though, they will keep going at it even if you ruin that one evenings worth of scripting. Not that I will stop killing scripters in fel, lol.

But here's to hoping that one day no one will be able to run scripts (a long shot hope) and play the game the way it's meant to be played. (as in not running a lame script to play the game for you)

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Am I REALLY reading people effectively DEFENDING scriptors in this thread? After how many months of complaints about them?

Amazing.

One would think a creative solution would be something to be applauded, not reported.

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
YAY! Another thread on how to be a jerk to your fellow player. Its not like we have lost enough people yet...how about making more go now too? Perhaps you didnt notice, but quite a few players have returned to the game for factions and the events...are you so quick to make them turn around and leave again?

Sorry Shanshu but your thread reeks of griefing...we all know it, so do you.

@ the mods...and you wonder why UO doesnt back these forums? look at the content you allow under the guise of *warnings*...*shakes head*
It's not griefing if the person isn't there. It's not griefing anyway I can make a gate anywhere I want and if someone goes through it that's not my fault. If it's illegal to make a gate because someone might go through it and die then they might as well take the spell away. People make gates at stables, luna, just about anywhere you go. It's your choice if you want to follow them through it.

It's only illegal if someone ask you to make a gate somewhere safe and you gate them into danger.

K

Kiminality

It's not griefing if the person isn't there. It's not griefing anyway I can make a gate anywhere I want and if someone goes through it that's not my fault. If it's illegal to make a gate because someone might go through it and die then they might as well take the spell away. People make gates at stables, luna, just about anywhere you go. It's your choice if you want to follow them through it.

It's only illegal if someone ask you to make a gate somewhere safe and you gate them into danger.
Not to defend the scripters, who are a source of both amusement and annoyance for me...
But you're opening the gate with the intention that the scripter will go through it, then it's griefing. It doesn't matter whether there's a person behind the keyboard, or whether they're cheating, or not.

It's funny, and somewhat just.
But, it's still griefing.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Are you kidding? In essence you are saying that it is illegal only if you get caught. You do realize that you are rationalizing unfair play? Greifing is greifing, regardless of what the person you are greifing is doing. Time and time again the game staff has told people NOT to take this type of thing into the gamers hands...yet here we are once again tip toing on the line of whats acceptable and whats not. If you dont like what someone is doing...report it and move on.

@ the moderators...I find irony in the fact that you allow threads like this to continue forward but then complain about the declining population. I find irony in the fact that you condone activities that are considered illegal in game AND illegal here to discuss. You wonder why UO took away your forum status...take a good look at the content you allow and there is no reason to be surprised.

A

AesSedai

Am I REALLY reading people effectively DEFENDING scriptors in this thread? After how many months of complaints about them?

Amazing.

One would think a creative solution would be something to be applauded, not reported.
- I think you've read nearly everything right, aside from the word: effectively.

I sincerely doubt that most people, who comprehend the necessity for legitimacy, would consider the pro-cheating efforts within this thread to have been effective. Only problem is that we cannot truly police the game's cheaters on our own, atm; so it may appear as if they have effectively protected their limited advantages (yet, if this game is worth its weight, they will be dealt with). Just my nickle's worth; oops it appears to have been devalued and is now only worth a penny, as it seems I now owe the other 4 pennies to the overseeing govy that bailed on our economy... hrmph.

A

AesSedai

Are you kidding? In essence you are saying that it is illegal only if you get caught. You do realize that you are rationalizing unfair play? Greifing is greifing, regardless of what the person you are greifing is doing. Time and time again the game staff has told people NOT to take this type of thing into the gamers hands...yet here we are once again tip toing on the line of whats acceptable and whats not. If you dont like what someone is doing...report it and move on.
- There is absolutely nothing unfair about opening a gate, broadcasting the scary place you intend to visit, and seeing a rail bot walk right on in. Nothing.

Hey UO Devs:
It is somewhat scary that some un-scrupulous people are relying on the inability of our beloved GMs to actively police our game, aye?

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Amazing.

I dont defend the illegal activity...what I DO defend is a persons right (according to the RoC and ToS) to play this game without being griefed. After all, who the hell are you to tell anyone else how to play thier game? Your 12.95 a mo. is no better than Joe Scripters 12.95. In fact...considering the scripter probably has SEVERAL accounts, hypothetically EA considers them to be more of an asset than the legit player with one! (dont forget too that EA only keeps the game going AS LONG as it has subscribers.)

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- There is absolutely nothing unfair about opening a gate, broadcasting the scary place you intend to visit, and seeing a rail bot walk right on in. Nothing.

Hey UO Devs:
It is somewhat scary that some un-scrupulous people are relying on the inability of our beloved GMs to actively police our game, aye?
Actually if you are in trammel it is referred to as griefing. Read the rules sometime...

You are trying to fix one negative with another negative...unfortunately two wrongs do not make things right. Dont think so? Look at subscription rates...do you think those who are griefed come back? Not usually.

A

AesSedai

Actually if you are in trammel it is referred to as griefing. Read the rules sometime...

You are trying to fix one negative with another negative...unfortunately two wrongs do not make things right. Dont think so? Look at subscription rates...do you think those who are griefed come back? Not usually.
- I am well aware of the rules that I agreed to follow, thank you.

There is nothing negative about opening a moongate, especially when you previously state you are off to 'scary place', and thence witnessing another player tromp on thru your moongate. No grief.

You want grief? Think about the zero work that bot invested in gaining skill. Think about how much more programming has to be spent to curb those who are looking for the easy skill gains. Then think about how much that affects the rule-abiding players (wasting our honest money to curb their dishonest appetites). Cheaters are the uber griefers of UO. Absolutely.

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to defend the scripters, who are a source of both amusement and annoyance for me...
But you're opening the gate with the intention that the scripter will go through it, then it's griefing. It doesn't matter whether there's a person behind the keyboard, or whether they're cheating, or not.

It's funny, and somewhat just.
But, it's still griefing.
If there is not a person there who are you griefing? An illegal script? I don't see that as griefing.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- I am well aware of the rules that I agreed to follow, thank you.

There is nothing negative about opening a moongate, especially when you previously state you are off to 'scary place', and thence witnessing another player tromp on thru your moongate. No grief.

You want grief? Think about the zero work that bot invested in gaining skill. Think about how much more programming has to be spent to curb those who are looking for the easy skill gains. Then think about how much that affects the rule-abiding players (wasting our honest money to curb their dishonest appetites). Cheaters are the uber griefers of UO. Absolutely.
Masking grief as daily activity does not mean it isnt greifing. You mention opening a gate to a nasty place for someone who hasnt asked you to with the purpose of trying to get them to go thru and die. Yeah...nothing odd or against the rules about that. Keep lying to yourself...seems this game and its subscribers are very good at that.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If there is not a person there who are you griefing? An illegal script? I don't see that as griefing.
How do you know if they are there or not? Last I knew the player was not required to tell you what they were doing...so saying someone isnt there is just ********. Ever hear of doing something attended?...you do realize that if its attended its not illegal no?

Also...someone logged into the account...that means technically that you cannot do anything to hamper the gameplay on the account. If you do, that is just as illegal if not moreso than the person scripting. (they arent hurting you, wereas you are hurting their gameplay...on purpose)

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Masking grief as daily activity does not mean it isnt greifing. You mention opening a gate to a nasty place for someone who hasnt asked you to with the purpose of trying to get them to go thru and die. Yeah...nothing odd or against the rules about that. Keep lying to yourself...seems this game and its subscribers are very good at that.
It's not someone it's something there is no person there just a script. I never read a rule that says you can't grief an illegal program.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not someone it's something there is no person there just a script. I never read a rule that says you can't grief an illegal program.
And people like you wonder why this game has gone to crap. You feel you can justify any illegal behavior...you do this in life too?

BTW...I am training magery atm using assist. I am not talking to anyone....just letting the macro run...does that make me a bad person if I dont respond to onlookers? Are you honestly going to say that I am not here even though I am?

Again...I dont like scripters, but two wrongs do not make anything right.

A

AesSedai

- Okay I guess I will just give up and watch this game be ruined by cheaters.
As I said before: Uber griefers of UO are those that cheat; are those that feel they are too good to follow the actual rules of the game.

I tell you one thing: I would much rather this fun 11+ year pastime of many, our endearing little persistent world, our lovely & chock-full of potential game called UO,..., the EA cash cow die rather than see it ruled by a mob of people that think they are above the rules ~ aka cheaters.
If that is your UO, and that is what you want it to be, then I wish you the best because this subscriber will leave once convinced that UO has given up trying to maintain the fair playing field that ALL games should strive to be.

Until then, there is nothing wrong with simply opening a moongate.

To grief would be to open a moongate under false pretenses; and guess what?
That is not the case in this situation.

But hey if you want to try to convince me that this actually is griefing, then by all means let's hear your pitch.

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And people like you wonder why this game has gone to crap. You feel you can justify any illegal behavior...you do this in life too?

BTW...I am training magery atm using assist. I am not talking to anyone....just letting the macro run...does that make me a bad person if I dont respond to onlookers? Are you honestly going to say that I am not here even though I am?

Again...I dont like scripters, but two wrongs do not make anything right.

Again it's not illegal to make a gate it's only illegal if someone ask you to make them a gate to somewhere safe and you gate them into danger.

And if that person was there why in the world would they walk through a gate that someone says is to a scary place?

As mad as you are getting you would think you are the one that the op did this too.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- Okay I guess I will just give up and watch this game be ruined by cheaters.
As I said before: Uber griefers of UO are those that cheat; are those that feel they are too good to follow the actual rules of the game.

I tell you one thing: I would much rather this fun 11+ year pastime of many, our endearing little persistent world, our lovely & chock-full of potential game called UO,..., the EA cash cow die rather than see it ruled by a mob of people that think they are above the rules ~ aka cheaters.
If that is your UO, and that is what you want it to be, then I wish you the best because this subscriber will leave once convinced that UO has given up trying to maintain the fair playing field that ALL games should strive to be.

Until then, there is nothing wrong with simply opening a moongate.

To grief would be to open a moongate under false pretenses; and guess what?
That is not the case in this situation.

But hey if you want to try to convince me that this actually is griefing, then by all means let's hear your pitch.

Sit by and watch? Seems that you are actively contributing to its demise to me. You tell me how you would feel if you had to deal with a barrage of jerks only interested in giving you are hard time...all because they thought you were scripting...

Perhaps you havent noticed the goodbye posts that pop up from time to time expressing their discontent with griefers...or perhaps you choose to ignore them stating *good riddance* as they go. Perhaps you will step into those shoes one of these days...that will be justice served IMO. Nothing like being forced out of a game due to a stratics witchhunt that could have been quashed if the mods had done their duty.

A

AesSedai

Sit by and watch? Seems that you are actively contributing to its demise to me. You tell me how you would feel if you had to deal with a barrage of jerks only interested in giving you are hard time...all because they thought you were scripting...

Perhaps you havent noticed the goodbye posts that pop up from time to time expressing their discontent with griefers...or perhaps you choose to ignore them stating *good riddance* as they go. Perhaps you will step into those shoes one of these days...that will be justice served IMO. Nothing like being forced out of a game due to a stratics witchhunt that could have been quashed if the mods had done their duty.
- Aww, poor antisocial player; I'm sorry people want to talk to you in a MMO-Game. I shed a tear for you now and will try to empathize with you and what you believe to be the cause for the game's potential demise. I am sorry that you constantly get griefed while frantically typing away on Stratics as your assist program is running.
Sheesh, those people you call 'griefers' are trying to maintain the integrity of this game called UO that we both enjoy. Maybe they aren't doing the best job if they are preying upon innocent ol' you, but hey they are trying to improve the state of the game.
I think we might both agree that a. cheating is rampant and b. we need more UO GMs in order to keep people subscribing to UO.

And stop whining about the mods already. You're either using them as a red herring or you simply have specific issues with their moderation... Obviously you have an issue with them tonight (or that is your favorite red herring atm) as I've seen you mention it in several threads; but the truth is they generally do a great job of modding and of volunteering (that means they are not paid for their work), and the majority of the time they only remove nuisances (nuisance posts / repetitive threads). If you want to complain about them then make a stand and start your own new thread.

My point is you seem to be misinterpreting who the true griefers are here, in this situation. As I said to you a moment ago:

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I script everything. I expect every single day to either be thrown in jail or dead. It is the risk you take for large monetary gain and its relatively safe to do. When neither of those happens, it's a good day. I have good days 360+ days out of a year. If either of those happen, its not so good but certainly doesn't bother me a hoot.

A

AesSedai

I script everything. I expect every single day to either be thrown in jail or dead. It is the risk you take for large monetary gain and its relatively safe to do. When neither of those happens, it's a good day. I have good days 360+ days out of a year. If either of those happen, its not so good but certainly doesn't bother me a hoot.
- Thank you for your honesty. Surely you aren't the only one that literally cheats the spirit of / and players of our game, for your personal gains.

UO DEVS:
Mark Jacobs, Draconi, Leurocian, Sakkarah Regine, Mesanna, Joanne, and certainly all the others:
- This is what we have to deal with daily while trying to enjoy things in-game.
This is the griefing that is hurting UO the most.

A

AesSedai

- Well darn Restroom Cowboy. You were looking at this thread until :heart: minutes ago. I was hoping you might have something more to say. Ah well, take care & maybe we can talk about the pompousness of illegal scripting another day.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- Thank you for your honesty. Surely you aren't the only one that literally cheats the spirit of / and players of our game, for your personal gains.

UO DEVS:
Mark Jacobs, Draconi, Leurocian, Sakkarah Regine, Mesanna, Joanne, and certainly all the others:
FYI scripters are paying customers too. Just look at systems in the game like BOS, Heartwood kits, Runic Kits, Lumberjacking and Mining.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- Well darn Restroom Cowboy. You were looking at this thread until :heart: minutes ago. I was hoping you might have something more to say. Ah well, take care & maybe we can talk about the pompousness of illegal scripting another day.

Actually my connection went dead @ around midnight due to line maintenence. In reply to an earlier post of yours, my issue with the moderators is purely based on their lack of desire to enforce the rules. When a few people act like idiots in UHall the whole game suffers as a result...and this is a very good example.

@ the moderators...on Atlantic trammel it is now impossible to use the farms for training as the bulls have been tamed and removed so others cannot gain skill. There are two members of the guild CoW here griefing members of the community. Well done on allowing this idiocracy to take place. (and yet you wonder why these boards get less and less attention by the devs)

A

AesSedai

- Sounds good.
Yeah I consider people that defend cheating activities on UHall to be 'idiots', as you've termed it; so I can agree that a few 'idiots' can spoil the whole.

If you want bulls, there are more places than the bull pen to train taming with bulls in abundance. I found that out pre-Trammel when people would grief move bulls just to spite others (and before people scripted taming gains much - how do I know this? Because I talked to the other tamers and they talked back. Of course there were a few times when you could virtually see the rail they ran in early ~ '99 & that's when I would just keep 'em tame to 'grief' the unattended cheaters that were unwilling to talk and preferred to just run in circles...)

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

UO DEVS:
Guess what we get to deal with as a result of the BS? We get to deal with a bunch of greifing idiots who assume that everyone is scripting. As a result everyone suffers.

Think before you post, and be informed about how your decisions affect the playtime of others. That is if you really do wish to play with others.

A

AesSedai

Actually my connection went dead @ around midnight due to line maintenence. In reply to an earlier post of yours, my issue with the moderators is purely based on their lack of desire to enforce the rules. When a few people act like idiots in UHall the whole game suffers as a result...and this is a very good example.

@ the moderators...on Atlantic trammel it is now impossible to use the farms for training as the bulls have been tamed and removed so others cannot gain skill. There are two members of the guild CoW here griefing members of the community. Well done on allowing this idiocracy to take place. (and yet you wonder why these boards get less and less attention by the devs)
- Btw, are not you griefing this group by stating their name on these forums?
Fighting fire with fire?
You don't like that, right?
Hrmm.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just think it gets out of hand when the community goes vigilante and starts harassing the players who are just ignoreing those they don't know but are accused of being unattended.
And what does that have to do with this thread? You know what I find annoying? When people hop gates. That is exactly what this player is doing: HOPPING INTO SOMEONE ELSE'S GATE.

Say it with me aloud:

1) Casting a gate to anywhere in game (but green acres!!) is not illegal or wrong.
2) You are not responsible in anyway for someone hopping into your gate.

The op is doing NOTHING WRONG and there is not a single rule in the game that can get them in trouble. He is playing the game within the rules and no one has the right to tell him that he cannot cast a damn gate. So basing your argument on little nuggets like "two wrongs don't make a right" is inherently flawed. There is only one wrong - not two.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- Sounds good.
Yeah I consider people that defend cheating activities on UHall to be idiots; so I can agree that a few idiots can spoil the whole.

If you want bulls, there are more places than the bull pen to train taming with bulls in abundance. I found that out pre-Trammel when people would grief move bulls just to spite others (and before people scripted taming gains much - how do I know this? Because I talked to the other tamers and they talked back. Of course there were a few times when you could virtually see the rail they ran in early ~ '99 & that's when I would just keep 'em tame to 'grief' the unattended cheaters that were unwilling to talk and preferred to just run in circles...)
Is it your place to police the games of others? Last I was aware, EA policy prohibited you from being involved beyond paging on the offending individual. In essense, you are saying you break the rules (and are ok with it) in order to punish a few bad apples...yet you fail to ever mention about the good apples you *accidentally* pluck from the tree.

You mention those not talking to you...running in circles. You are aware that other nationalities play on american servers no? I have known a few asian players in my day WHO WOULD NOT TALK because they didnt understand English. What about them? Should they have to become accustomed to your methods because they do not converse with you?

A

AesSedai

Think before you post, and be informed about how your decisions affect the playtime of others. That is if you really do wish to play with others.
- Ditto. Precisely. Heed your own warnings. Yes? Yes! Right? Right!
Spam! I hate Spam! This parrot is dead, sir!
(just to let you know I went all Monty, right, right. Aye.)

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And what does that have to do with this thread? You know what I find annoying? When people hop gates. That is exactly what this player is doing: HOPPING INTO SOMEONE ELSE'S GATE.

Say it with me aloud:

1) Casting a gate to anywhere in game (but green acres!!) is not illegal or wrong.
2) You are not responsible in anyway for someone hopping into your gate.

The op is doing NOTHING WRONG and there is not a single rule in the game that can get them in trouble. He is playing the game within the rules and no one has the right to tell him that he cannot cast a damn gate. So basing your argument on little nuggets like "two wrongs don't make a right" is inherently flawed. There is only one wrong - NOT two.
I think you need to get up off your butt and see where this thread has landed those of us in UO. This goes beyond gating Thomas, perhaps if you meandered to trammel Farms you would "get" what others are complaining about. Oh yeah...you prob dont even play UO anymore...like 90% of the moderators here.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- Ditto. Precisely. Heed your own warnings. Yes? Yes! Right? Right!
Spam! I hate Spam! This parrot is dead, sir!
(just to let you know I went all Monty, right, right. Aye.)
I gave you every GOOD reason why your grief tactics are both wrong and against the rules. In reply all you have offered up is some quick one liners but no reasoning behind why you think the way you do.

The "I am rubber you are glue" thing is a bit immature dont you think?

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for your concern but I play Ultima Online. I also get lot of people who pick on me just because I am rich in game. It does not bother me.

If someone is performing an action that is within the rules of the game then there is nothing wrong with it. If you don't like it then you should figure out a way to deal with it (while staying within the rules of the game) or quit. If they are breaking the rules then you should page; I have always had GMs help me when I am being truly grieved by players.

A

AesSedai

Is it your place to police the games of others? Last I was aware, EA policy prohibited you from being involved beyond paging on the offending individual. In essense, you are saying you break the rules (and are ok with it) in order to punish a few bad apples...yet you fail to ever mention about the good apples you *accidentally* pluck from the tree.

You mention those not talking to you...running in circles. You are aware that other nationalities play on american servers no? I have known a few asian players in my day WHO WOULD NOT TALK because they didnt understand English. What about them? Should they have to become accustomed to your methods because they do not converse with you?
- Once, once, once^nth more:
1: Opening a moongate and taming a pet is not griefing.
2: Preventing someone that is obviously unattended from gaining skill, by taming an animal, is not griefing.

If I were preventing an attended player from an activity - then, yes, I would consider that to be griefing. Technically it might just be called selfish gameplay to do such; but personally I would consider it griefing (as in saying: 'I own this spawn, newb'. Just because I can kill it faster. To me, that would be wrong. To thwart an obvious cheater, key being "obvious": that is absolutely not griefing, to me.)

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- Once, once, once^nth more:
1: Opening a moongate and taming a pet is not griefing.
2: Preventing someone that is obviously unattended from gaining skill, by taming an animal, is not griefing.

If I were preventing an attended player from an activity - then, yes, I would consider that to be griefing. Technically it might just be called selfish gameplay to do such; but personally I would consider it griefing (as in saying: 'I own this spawn, newb'. Just because I can kill it faster. To me, that would be wrong. To thwart an obvious cheater, key being "obvious": that is absolutely not griefing, to me.)
I suppose you were just "standing" there with a knife and someone "fell" on it? ROOFLES!!! All you are doing is fooling yourself. Anyone with half a brain can see beyond your reasoning. If you have fooled yourself too...lol@u.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for your concern but I play Ultima Online. I also get lot of people who pick on me just because I am rich in game. It does not bother me.

If someone is performing an action that is within the rules of the game then there is nothing wrong with it. If you don't like it then you should figure out a way to deal with it (while staying within the rules of the game) or quit. If they are breaking the rules then you should page; I have always had GMs help me when I am being truly grieved by players.
I dont care how much gold you have...why flaunt it?

What I have an issue with is where these threads end up...you should be concerned too. If no one plays no one can buy your gold! All I am asking you to do is investigate for yourself so you can see where the lack of moderation (imagine that!) has taken us once again.

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seriously, dealing with people's reaction is what makes a MMORPG fun (in my opinion). I have had people who are so pissed off at me that they do treasure maps on the island where my mall is located and drag dozens of ancient wyrms to it. I have logged in to find literally 8 ancient wyrms surrounding my house!!

In theory, I -could- page as blatantly luring spawn is not allowed in trammel. Or I could treat it as a mini-event which is what I normally do. Heck, I even have a bunch of nice people who call themselves defenders of trove and help me when this happens. That is fun and challenging - whining about it is not nor does characters being played by bots. Things like this builds communities and brings the real spirit of the game. Just have to learn to look at something with a positive aspect.

Also, I have no idea what happens at the farm you are talking about but it has nothing to do with -this- post and what the OP is saying. What I said still stands: If they are breaking the rules to harass you then you should page on them. If they are not then you need to learn to treat it in the spirit of the game and you might just enjoy it.

My original response was to Rix and not to anything you said.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The following information applies primarily (not exclusively) to the lands of Ilshenar, Malas and the Trammel facet of Ultima Online. While you have the ability to attack other players freely on the Felucca facet, players are generally not able to defend themselves against grief tactics in Trammel, Malas and Ilshenar.

We'd rather not go into the specifics of all the actions we consider grief tactics, but we do want to make it clear that it is not okay to ruin the fun of UO for other players, specifically when that is the intent behind your actions. It is important to realize and accept that everyone plays this game differently, and everyone has different expectations from the game and from the other players.

Ultima Online is a social setting, and as such, we expect our players to treat one another with the same respect and dignity they would use in any other social situation. If your sole purpose and intent in any action is to continually upset, aggravate, or otherwise annoy another player, you may be a “grief player.” Using game mechanics to cause grief to others can also be seen as exploitation, and will be treated accordingly by game staff.

If someone is using grief tactics against you, please report it to a Game Master using the Help button on your paperdoll. Once the Help menu appears, choose the Harassment option, and enter the exact name of the other player, and a brief description of his actions. For example: "Jody keeps luring poison ele’s to us and hiding. We die." This tells the Game Master who gets your call exactly who to look for, and what behavior to watch that player for.

The following are NOT considered grief tactics: Res killing, Stealing, Legal player killing, such as takes place in guild and faction wars Refusal to take turns at spawn points Refusal to resurrect another player

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seriously, dealing with people's reaction is what makes a MMORPG fun (in my opinion). I have had people who are so pissed off at me that they do treasure maps on the island where my mall is located and drag dozens of ancient wyrms to it. I have logged in to find literally 8 ancient wyrms surrounding my house!!

In theory, I -could- page as blatantly luring spawn is not allowed in trammel. Or I could treat it as a mini-event which is what I normally do. Heck, I even have a bunch of nice people who call themselves defenders of trove and help me when this happens. That is fun and challenging - whining about it is not. Things like this builds communities and brings the real spirit of the game.

This isnt about you or the reactions of others, this is about another witch hunt. You quickly forget how good people get hurt due to bullcrap like this in uhall. Again, a GREAT example is Tram Atl Jhelom farms...take a look instead of talking about yourself. Honestly, I dont care who you are...I only care that you are a moderator who refuses to do what he was asked to do. Which is, uphold the rules that you ask everyone to follow.

Please read Maximus' comment before addressing mine, seems he said things better than I could...

Status
Not open for further replies.