• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thieving in Trammel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Did you even read the information? I'm going to assume not if you replied so quickly.
I have been to that site before and guess what, it still says the same thing. No FACTS were used in the making of this chart, only speculations.

You have not answered my question, where you there? I was and to prove you may come to Baja and I will gladly pick a 12th yr ethy and ride it around for you. Yes I still have 12th yr picks left over.

C

copycon

I have been to that site before and guess what, it still says the same thing. No FACTS were used in the making of this chart, only speculations.

You have not answered my question, where you there? I was and to prove you may come to Baja and I will gladly pick a 12th yr ethy and ride it around for you. Yes I still have 12th yr picks left over.
I edited my original response to help you.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that "Trammies" are static and predictable by definition. They want to play a game that involves no risk or challenge...
One of the things I love about games, and it is true of any art form, is it allows you to isolate danger and examine it in a non-threatening context. That my friends is what prejudice looks like.
I'll just add one more thing, the kind of prejudice represented by statements like that one is far more dangerous on it's own than anything you will find in a full loot, wide open pvp MMO with free-for-all thieving.

C

copycon

I'll just add one more thing, the kind of prejudice represented by statements like that one is far more dangerous on it's own than anything you will find in a full loot, wide open pvp MMO with free-for-all thieving.
The prejudices that you are referring to are the exact reason why Trammel was brought into existence to begin with. I would say that they are less prejudicial and more realistic.

Also, please don't try and bring real life circumstances into the conversation. Discussions about UO have nothing to do with the army, navy, marines etc.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I edited my original response to help you.
EA HAS NEVER RELEASED ANY DATA ON ITS SUBS AND NEVER WILL FOR UO

That is a HARD FACT that you can take to the bank. And here is what he did when he added UO to that chart.

g) Educated Guesses - Very rarely, a number will appear on the chat that’s non-sourced and simply my educated guess based on known information. An example might be, “Well, we know they have at least 200K subscribers, and they’ve sold 600K copies, and their revenues are such-n-such, so I’m going to say they have at least 350K subscribers for the purposes of the chart.” I do not do this very often, and if I do, I’ll duly note it in the Analysis section by giving the data an appropriate Accuracy Rating.

And you still refuse to answer the question. Where you there or are you basing your FACTS on a chart that is not based on FACTS, only speculations and an outdated chat of people whining about UO.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The prejudices that you are referring to are the exact reason why Trammel was brought into existence to begin with. I would say that they are less prejudicial and more realistic.

Also, please don't try and bring real life circumstances into the conversation. Discussions about UO have nothing to do with the army, navy, marines etc.
Prejudices? No. Non-stop GM calls for harrassment have no prejudices. This occurred regardless of what was posted on a website.

Maybe I could make a website and post that since everything posted on the web is obviously the truth right?

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
There tend to be prejudices on every side, and I know I have a few myself. The best you can do is point them out when you spot them and try to show them for what they are. But I will say this, I don't see many "trammies" going on about "fellies", the vast majority of the prejudice that I have seen around this topic has come from pvp'rs who feel that their playstyle is somehow superior to everyone else's.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that "Trammies" are static and predictable by definition. They want to play a game that involves no risk or challenge...
One of the things I love about games, and it is true of any art form, is it allows you to isolate danger and examine it in a non-threatening context. That my friends is what prejudice looks like.
UO may be a fantasy game, but the emotions and attitudes associated with it are real. The pride, anger, love, etc. may not be over something that is terribly important, but they are real. The prejudice you displayed may be over something that is ultimately meaningless, but the prejudice itself was real. And who knows, if we can successfully combat prejudice in a game like UO, maybe we can take the lessons we learn in that fight into the "real world".

As far as I am concerned that is just about everything that makes game playing worthwhile, that you can take lessons and skills you learn there and apply them to the "real world". Obviously you can easily find a lot of ridiculous examples of lessons you wouldn't carry to the "real world", those are the fantasy elements, but games do help maintain cognitive function, as well as hand-eye coordination, they can teach us patience, and how to work for an objective. They can teach us social skills, and skills that will be useful when working in the "real world" with a team. They can even teach us moral lessons if we let them.

C

copycon

Prejudices? No. Non-stop GM calls for harrassment have no prejudices. This occurred regardless of what was posted on a website.
I'm pretty sure I saw a post recently about someone playing an instrument in town being called "harassment"...

I think people are a little too sensitive to be playing a game that involves more than just themselves to be honest, which is why I'm still trying to figure out what the heck they are doing in an MMO?

Care to elaborate?

W

WhityJinn

Well, if devs/gms/admins/whatever DO NOT allow you to whine, you won`t whine.
I played on a ML free shard with small population about 90 people (still more than on Siege ahahah).

The only Trammel location was New Haven.All other facets were Fel ruleset.There was insurance, but if you got killed by a player, you lost like 18-25k insurance money.
Monsters were hard and arty drops were rare.When people tried to complain and deman more trammish changes, the admin just banned one of them.
Everything went fine for a few years, but then the admin was replaced for some reason.The whiners showed up on the forums again, and that time they got all the trammy poison they were wishing for.All facets except Fel were made Tram ruleset, a bigger chance to get an arty from dark father/paragons/etc, and so on.

Now the shard is dead.Last time I checked it had no more than 16 people playing.

And I mean, back then when the old admin was in charge, not only PvPers played there.Even the trammiest of people adapted, (after one of them got banned for trammish whining) and carried bolas and greater cure potions with them.

So - if you are not allowed to whine, you won`t whine - you`ll adapt.

Too bad the current UO dev team understands nothing of UO, and doesnt understand what I typed in bolds.

It`s not like the devs "screwed up a little" over the years.They freaking killed the game.

Enjoy now, purple cusidhe riders with shining tokuno-dyed armours.

C

copycon

Okay, I just wanted to make sure I got the point across.

And by the way, if you doubt his accuracy specifically to UO:

Ultima Online (Accuracy Rating: A)
Launched on September 30, 1997, UO experienced fairly predictable growth until April 2001, where it peaked at 240,000 subscribers shortly after the release of UO: Third Dawn. Subsequently, press releases from EA consistently quoted the 225,000 figure, and the growth was flat for over a year. It is likely that the actual trend during this period was slowly downward to the 208,000 mark in December 2002. With the release of UO: Age of Shadows, UO seemed to reach new highs in 2003 to about 250,000 subscribers, but since then has shown a steady decline. As of December 2007, UO had about 75,000 subscribers worldwide, with about 50,000 of those in Japan. http://www.uo.com/

O

Old Man of UO

Okay, I just wanted to make sure I got the point across.

And by the way, if you doubt his accuracy specifically to UO: ...
You do realize that EA does not publish subscription numbers for UO, and that those numbers are just estimates?

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm pretty sure I saw a post recently about someone playing an instrument in town being called "harassment"...

I think people are a little too sensitive to be playing a game that involves more than just themselves to be honest, which is why I'm still trying to figure out what the heck they are doing in an MMO?

Care to elaborate?
What they are doing is not playing with you. This is something you are going to have to come to terms with.

EricVT

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please stop giving WhityJinn the attention he is after.

He is obviously just trolling the forum.

W

WhityJinn

EricVT, you seem to be a smart gentleman.
Tell me, what`s the point in just TROLLING the forums?

I`m a guy who pays his monthly 13$ for his account.I`m posting here because I have a reason to post.

Don`t be so afraid, no one is going to take your purple neon cusidhe from you.

Well, at least not before the game completely dies and the dev team goes to milk another cow.

O

Old Man of UO

Read my post at the bottom of page 2.
You have no post at the bottom of page 2.

You quoted another obscure online author who posted a graph that is more than 2 years out of date, using estimates, and then somehow vouch for its accuracy. I'm just saying there is no way to verify the numbers, it's an estimate, and is therefore not accurate. You might want to choose another word.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

You quoted another obscure online author who posted a graph that is more than 2 years out of date, using estimates, and then somehow vouch for its accuracy. I'm just saying there is no way to verify the numbers, it's an estimate, and is therefore not accurate. You might want to choose another word.
He links to 2 outdated sites, one with a chat based on a guess and the other with 7 posts whining about UO in its "Golden Age" and thinks he is an expert on UO.

He was not there and has no clue what went on.:lol:

C

copycon

Okay, lets go along with that. I'll ignore all logic and reason and give you the benefit of the doubt over a reputable source. So, you are saying that the sharp decline in subscriptions have somehow righted themselves in the past 2 +/- years? If so, you might be shocked with reality.

Why would EA suddenly launch a bizarre campaign called "Return of Legends" yesterday including "The Re-Enlisters" if there wasn't an issue with abysmal subscription numbers? Why would they be pushing the newest expansion out of the door prematurely? Maybe they are just being proactive, eh?

I guess some people wear blinders by choice...

C

copycon

He links to 2 outdated sites, one with a chat based on a guess and the other with 7 posts whining about UO in its "Golden Age" and thinks he is an expert on UO.

He was not there and has no clue what went on.:lol:
Why don't you enlighten us? :)

This should be good...

C

copycon

WERE YOU THERE MISTER EXPERT?:lol:
Was I where?

The answer is probably no, but I want to hear it from someone that was.

I've already explained why I don't play UO today, and I would like to think that I am not alone with my reasons.

(BTW, I fixed your spelling mistake)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Was I where?

The answer is probably no, but I want to hear it from someone that was.

I've already explained why I don't play UO today, and I would like to think that I am not alone with my reasons.

(BTW, I fixed your spelling mistake)
Oh no I missed spelled a word. Lets hear all your preTram stories mister expert.

C

copycon

What do you want to hear? I'll gladly tell you and anyone else that wants to hear.

I'll tell you about how I died more times than I could count, and what I lost.

I'll tell you about how my house got looted, and I dealt with it without a single complaint to a GM.

I'll tell you about how I got stolen from, and laughed.

I'll tell you about how I got "griefed" and I dealt with it. Because I realized that it is a game and life goes on.

I'll tell you about what it meant to play UO instead of just going through the motions and logging off.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't need to hear some made up stories. If you have been around UO as long as you want us to believe then you know the site you are using as FACT is not FACT.:lol:

Attachments

O

Old Man of UO

Okay, lets go along with that. I'll ignore all logic and reason and give you the benefit of the doubt over a reputable source. So, you are saying that the sharp decline in subscriptions have somehow righted themselves in the past 2 +/- years? ...
That's not what I said at all, LC. You aren't listen again, twisting other people's words. What I said is, you can't claim a source is accurate when the information is all based on estimates. The rest you are just making up, because we just don't know. Period.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
O

Old Man of UO

LOL... 233 posts and half are by peoples Alts!

Here is a recap: UO will end if we don't allow thieves to steal in Trammel!

C

copycon

PUBLIC SPEAKER
"An Analysis of MMOG Subscription Growth" (Speaker), ION Game Conference, May 14, 2008
"What the Market Research Tells Us - Where MMOs are Going and How Are we Going to Get There" (Speaker), Austin Game Conference, September 6, 2006
"Building Massively Multiplayer Games on a Budget" (Panelist), Austin Game Conference, September 10, 2004
"Massively Multiplayer Games on a Shoestring Budget" (Panelist), Austin Game Conference, September 11, 2003

WORKS
"An Analysis of MMOG Subscription Growth", MMOGCHART.COM, 2002 - 2008
"Confessions of an MMOG Cross-Dresser", The Escapist #77, December, 2006
"Is **** Wrong on Azeroth?", The Escapist #69, October, 2006
"IGDA 2004 Persistent Worlds Whitepaper", contributor , 2004
"Illusions of Reality", Quanta #3, February, 1990
Grimtooth's Traps Too, December 1982, Flying Buffalo Computer-Conflict Simulation, contributor, The Catastrophic Keyhole, ISBN 0-940244-78-0

He doesn't seem so obscure to me...

Not only did he cite that he has received factual data from Origin/EA (quoted on page 2), but he also rated his own accuracy to "A" (high) for UO statistical data (quoted on page 3). Also, the graph shows peaks and valleys that are consistent with the different eras of UO. Are you saying that his information is false? That's pretty bold if you ask me.

That's not what I said at all, LC. You aren't listen again, twisting other people's words. What I said is, you can't claim a source is accurate when the information is all based on estimates. The rest you are just making up, because we just don't know. Period.
In my opinion, the author of that website is about as accurate as you will get considering that EA doesn't publish their subscriber data to the public. So, you are only fooling yourself if you really believe he is that far off base.

But anyways, we are geting further off topic. If you want to argue about who is right and wrong, feel free to send me a PM, or not.

This is the last response I will give to this topic. Think what you like, but know that you are only fooling yourself.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
but he also rated his own accuracy to "A"
LMAO I will rate Old Man of UO's accuracy at A++++++++++.
Old Man of UO knows more than you so he is right. See he has a higher rating. Self rated accuracy, what a joke. I bet you believe everything that is printed on the internet.

Not only did he cite that he has received factual data from Origin/EA
This is the biggest joke around. EA didn't tell him anything, he made it up.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's pretty disrespectful.
What is? Calling the supposed report of UO by some website false? lol! Yeah, I don't believe those websites. If they honestly got those reports based off of what EA released then they should have no problem releasing the numbers themselves personally. But I don't care enough to create a pointless argument over it.

There was at one time a comment by one of the devs about the subscription numbers. Funny thing is that many people didn't want to believe it despite it being the most official report ever released. Forget the poster who brought this up a number of times but he's a regular here :p

F

five oclock

In before the lock....

Figure it just needs to be said...Probally wont happen anytime soon..But hey once you see a derailed train that still has steam coming from its pipes..anything is possible :D

W

WhityJinn

why lock the thread?Those gentlemen are having a conversation here.

C

copycon

What is? Calling the supposed report of UO by some website false? lol! Yeah, I don't believe those websites. If they honestly got those reports based off of what EA released then they should have no problem releasing the numbers themselves personally. But I don't care enough to create a pointless argument over it.
It is not his information to release. I would imagine that he would be considered a media entity by Origin/EA and others and as such he may have access to information that the normal public wouldn't have access to, and may very well be under an NDA to release specific details. But, as I said before, I can't convince anyone any more than I already have. If you choose not to believe his information, then that is your choice to make.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is not his information to release. I would imagine that he would be considered a media entity by Origin/EA and others and as such he may have access to information that the normal public wouldn't have access to, and may very well be under an NDA to release specific details. But, as I said before, I can't convince anyone any more than I already have. If you choose not to believe his information, then that is your choice to make.
You really do believe what you just wrote.
It is not his information to release
Then why did he include the data in his chart? He released it.

I would imagine that he would be considered a media entity by Origin/EA and others and as such he may have access to information that the normal public wouldn't have access to, and may very well be under an NDA to release specific details.
A media entity, so what major network does he work for?
Do you know what a NDA (non-disclosure agreement) is a legal contract between at least two parties that outlines confidential material, knowledge, or information that the parties wish to share with one another for certain purposes, but wish to restrict access to by third parties. It is a contract through which the parties agree not to disclose information covered by the agreement.

The only info he wants are subs and now you think he signed a NDA to not release this information.

I will state this again "You really do believe what you just wrote.":lol:

C

copycon

I said I wanted to stop talking about this, but you are forcing me to continue for some reason...

A media entity, so what major network does he work for?
If you paid attention before jumping to conclusions, you would have noticed that he is self employed. He represents himself working for his own "company". The definition of media entity does not necessarily mean "major network". Get your facts straight.

Do you know what a NDA (non-disclosure agreement) is a legal contract between at least two parties that outlines confidential material, knowledge, or information that the parties wish to share with one another for certain purposes, but wish to restrict access to by third parties. It is a contract through which the parties agree not to disclose information covered by the agreement.
Yes, I do. Do you? Apparently not.

Let me help you:

A non-disclosure agreement can protect any type of information that is not generally known. However, non-disclosure agreements may also contain clauses that will protect the person receiving the information so that if they lawfully obtained the information through other sources they would not be obligated to keep the information secret

Source: Non-disclosure agreement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I will state this again "You really do believe what you just wrote.":lol:
What I wrote is purely speculative. I have no idea nor do I really care. I was giving an example of what could have happened for people who may not grasp the concept (such as yourself).

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just could not resist anymore to make a response here ...

Though I do understand where some of you are comming from ...
I don't understand a few things ...

Maybe you could be so kind to clear this up for me ?

Why would I feel that what a few vocal people on the forums represent the feelings of the entire population of UO?

Why are people still dwelling in the past ... long gone ...?

Why if the game is soo bad for you are you still here, and not meanwhile moved along to a game that may better suit your ingame needs?

Why would I ever take someone serious that takes every little chance he/she gets to belittle and ridicule my playstyle and meanwhile tries to force his/her own opon me ?
Asking to be taken serious and on the other hand showing no respect to any other playstyle then his/her own?

I am also asking myself .. are you blind?
If you wish facts just look around ... UO does not have the population anymore that once was.
There are less folk around and those who are here play exactly as they wish to ...

Ofcourse nothing will be perfect for everyone ... it is impossible to keep 100% of your player base happy.

Personally I like a game that supports many different playstyles, it gives more life to a game.
And as I see it there is a place for many styles in UO.
The fact that not all those places today are not used to it's full potential, says something to me ...

It is not judging or that ... it is just seeing how the UO world looks like today and making my own conclusions.
I guess many of you do the same ...

Maybe the difference is, I do realize there are many many different people out there with just as many different thoughts and playstyles, and feel this just adds to my ingame experiance.

I just live my little life in this UO world with all ups and downs, with all "good and bad" (which is in the eye of the beholder) and enjoy myself in a way that pleases me.

I don't know about you people, but all comes down to this for me ...
I pay to play ... to entertain myself and to relax and unwind some.
As long as I get more in return in fun then that it hurts my wallet to pay for a game, I stick around, if not then it is time to move on and find something else that will give me my moneys worth.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I want is stealing allowed on all Tram-ruleset facets.
Make a guild. Tell other people to make guilds. Have the guilds ally or war against each other. Or just steal from your guildies. Problem solved. A real thief doesn't ask an authority to help them steal, hahaha. Oh man. That would be like me going up to a cop and being like, hey, hold that dude over there for me so I can steal his wallet.

Well, I noticed that most of my threads get locked
Good luck.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You were the one that called him a media entity. I thought he was some movie star or something.

You do understand that there is only one thing he wanted from EA and that was its SUBS data and then you say he prob. signed a NDA. You really think that EA would have him sign a NDA for the only thing he wanted and than let him release that same data. Or do you think EA is that stupid. I fully grasp it, you are clueless if you think for one min. that he signed a NDA and EA gave him that info. Then you say maybe he got it somewhere else. LOL Where pray tell would he get that data from if it was not from EA as you think. I have signed NDAs and even though I retired I am still under them until the year 2020 so please don't try filling me with your BS.
but you are forcing me to continue
Am I at your house twisting your arm or something?

C

copycon

You were the one that called him a media entity. I thought he was some movie star or something.
Yes I was, and what I said still applies.

You do understand that there is only one thing he wanted from EA and that was its SUBS data and then you say he prob. signed a NDA. You really think that EA would have him sign a NDA for the only thing he wanted and than let him release that same data. Or do you think EA is that stupid. I fully grasp it, you are clueless if you think for one min. that he signed a NDA and EA gave him that info. Then you say maybe he got it somewhere else. LOL Where pray tell would he get that data from if it was not from EA as you think. I have signed NDAs and even though I retired I am still under them until the year 2020 so please don't try filling me with your BS.
If you don't understand that one contract can be different from another, then I have nothing more to say.

Am I at your house twisting your arm or something?
No, you are attacking nearly everything that I am saying and forcing me to defend myself.

We will agree to disagree on this.

J

[JD]

Good idea, but it didn't work the first time and it won't work the second time.

If people are afraid of Felucca it is for a reason outside of any of those things you mentioned. If EA puts a carrot on a stick and dangles it in front of them it will not entice them any more than it does now, and if it did it certainly wouldn't be for long. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that "Trammies" are static and predictable by definition. They want to play a game that involves no risk or challenge and has little to do with being immersive beyond ogling their character's clothing/bling/whatever and basically being in a glorified chat room with neon colors. All of those things could have been added in a much more productive manner without Trammel being part of it.

It boils down to EA making a mistake by adding 2 facets. The addition of Trammel condemned Felucca the moment it was introduced, if not simply for the fact that Felucca was made to "look unfriendly" at that moment.
Carrots are about the only tool you have to get people to Fel. Aside from getting a new shard in which combines the two again, which would be fun.. I'd make a char there.

C

copycon

Carrots are about the only tool you have to get people to Fel. Aside from getting a new shard in which combines the two again, which would be fun.. I'd make a char there.
I agree, and that tool is about as useful as a spatula in a gun fight. :)

E

Evlar

To be quite frank, this whole debate is pointless.

Arguing for "classic" orientated aspects of the game that are gone, to be re-introduced into the "current" game, is a waste of time. The majority of current players don't want it. If the developers introduce such against the current players wishes, they'll vote with their wallets.

Separate "classic" shards should be offered, if there's sufficient demand. Most sensible "classic" supporters would prefer separate shards, simply because mixing the play-style they prefer, with what's currently available, would be like mixing oil and water.

Although suggested that there will be an answer to the "classic" question by the end of the year, I don't see it happening. I believe the focus on boosters has pretty much killed any "classic" offerings.

Ok, so they could launch it as one of the boosters. I can guarantee here and now, there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth if that happened, because the current players would claim they're suddenly being neglected, albeit in a one-off offering to encourage a potentially sizeable group of players back.

Suffice it to say, I'll lay good odds on there not being a classic shard realistically being on the table. Hot air. Nothing more.

I suspect Cal wishes he'd said no as soon as he was prodded about "classic". I would much rather someone say "No, we're running the show and we'll do things how we are doing them", than "if" or "maybe". So long as there's a carrot dangling, people will try to grab it. Providing no definitive resolution to the question, only annoys both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.