• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Thieving in Trammel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WhityJinn

I asked this question in the "ask the devs" forum, and now I`m asking you.

What I want is stealing allowed on all Tram-ruleset facets.
Perhaps, even looting players` corpses once they turn into bones, as it once was.

I guess there are more "feluccan" activities (excluding killing) that you would like to see avialable in Trammel.

I think that alot of trammel players would actually enjoy the new possibility of stealing ANYWHERE.That would actually make thieves feel like real thieves again.

I care the most about the opinion of real Thieves, who have been playing this type of character for years, but I know that what the majority of players think and want is most important.

Well, I noticed that most of my threads get locked, so I`m asking that guy who flames my threads to stop doing it for a while.I mean, come on, I want to see some nice discussion here.

AzSel

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you cant atack and kill (or atleast try) the thief that stole from you...then there are balance issues.

F

FishinFool

Thievery is alive and well on Trammel, always has been.

B

Babble

Look the definition of Trammel was to give players a SAFE facet where neither stealing from players, unconsentual combat, blocking in of players or luring is allowed.

So your proposal does not make any sense in the developers definition of Trammel.

I can only advise to try freeshards which support different playstyles and do not share the developers views.

B

Beer_Cayse

Trammel ruleset disallows PvP-oriented activities except guild (includes o/c). Thieving is a PvP-oriented skill when a PC is involved.

Essentially what you want is Fel rules in Tram - won't happen. What's the matter - no unwilling victims in Fel?

N

northwoodschopper

thief guild members should be able to steal and attack from each other regardless of facet.

W

WhityJinn

If you cant atack and kill (or atleast try) the thief that stole from you...then there are balance issues.
Then make thieves attackable if they flag in Trammel.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
No. Trammel is what it is. All things PvP should be consensual in Trammel. If you wish to PvP in a non consensual manner, there are places for that.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

Perhaps, even looting players` corpses once they turn into bones, as it once was.

I guess there are more "feluccan" activities (excluding killing) that you would like to see avialable in Trammel.

I think that alot of trammel players would actually enjoy the new possibility of stealing ANYWHERE.That would actually make thieves feel like real thieves again.

I care the most about the opinion of real Thieves, who have been playing this type of character for years, but I know that what the majority of players think and want is most important.

Well, I noticed that most of my threads get locked, so I`m asking that guy who flames my threads to stop doing it for a while.I mean, come on, I want to see some nice discussion here.
Come to Siege. Don't be afraid. I'll show you what thieving in trammel looks like.

W

WhityJinn

I have a character on Siege, and played there until I realised - there is no one there.

I`m an old player, and most of the time I`ve been playing on trammel-ruleset or pre-AoS shards.I know what thieveng is like.

J

[JD]

seriously. i see some whacked out dumb posts/suggestions from people sometimes. is it any surprise the dev's ignore player posts when they have to read bad ideas over, and over, and over again?

think before you post people

T

Trebr Drab

I have a character on Siege, and played there until I realised - there is no one there.

I`m an old player, and most of the time I`ve been playing on trammel-ruleset or pre-AoS shards.I know what thieveng is like.
Would you accept a punishment system if you got caught? Like, maybe jail time, 1 UO year (1 month real time)?
We could convert parts of, or add sections, to the Brit sewers for this. Do you like rats? Heh

Seriously, would you accept some form of punishment, something to keep thieves from running rampant and using it to get Trammies to attack them, so they can kill them and loot them? What would you accept? Or do you want to turn Trammel into a constant grief zone for any player on a character not designed to fight and not in a group for defense?

Z

Zyon Rockler

This could be done by using some type of random placement on characters so that when a thief peaks into a pack they see an item that the player doesn't really have and is able to attempt to steal it.

So, an example would be, i'm standing in Brit, i'm completely naked and I have nothing in my pack. I happen to be standing there with 10 other people who happen to be naked and they also have empty packs, in Trammel.

A mean, nasty thief comes in and looks puzzled and begins peaking in our packs. In the first 4 people he doesn't see anything in their packs but then someone happens to have an orny on them. So, the thief tries to steal the orny.

Now, if the thief is successful, he has a chance to get away with the orny but if he's not successful, he turns grey. Now, once the thief turns grey, everyone is able to attack him.

So, all the naked people will see this thief turn grey and then be able to kill the thief.

So, turning grey as a thief would allow for people to attack you in Trammel and the people you are stealing from are not really losing anything because it's spawned into your pack once you steal it, before that the items really don't exist.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I am not certain if this is a case of dead horse beating or an attempt at trolling.

Thing is, Trammel is part of the game. Non con PvP will never be allowed in Trammel. Never. (yes I said never) If you want non con PvP, there are plenty of options.

Never the less. The OP is on my radar...

L

longshanks

*wonders why if he jonesing to steal so much he's not plying his trade at yew gate fel*

this guy has greifing written all over him...

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then make thieves attackable if they flag in Trammel.
You mean, like they would love? Short answer is no. Long answer is no.

Thieves want people to attack and chase them. Tis their goal.

Say no to leg humpers in tram.

:popcorn:

W

WhityJinn

Seriously, would you accept some form of punishment, something to keep thieves from running rampant
Oh, but really?You, sir, amaze me.In Ultima Online anyone has to learn to watch their back (and their bag).But since most people are used to that type of gameplay where you never have to learn something, think, or risk anything...of course, what you say makes sense.
Not to me, though.

This could be done by using some type of random placement on characters so that when a thief peaks into a pack they see an item that the player doesn't really have and is able to attempt to steal it.
Hahahha, lol.Lets just put a single dungeon instead of the present ones, and put a dozen of elementals there.
"Arty elemental", gold elemental, furniture elemental, rares elemental.The elementals have an infinite amount of HP and don`t respond to attacks.Players just walk up to them and bash until they get decent loot.

That`s actually what is happening in trammel now.No risk, even against monsters.
because it's spawned into your pack once you steal it, before that the items really don't exist.
The ugliest thing I`ve ever read.How is it different from PvM?it`s more like the elementals I suggested.Just with people.It has no connection to Thieving whatsoever.

what kelmo said
never, never..if more of the old UO gamers spoke in such threads, instead of thinking "nothing is gonna change, I dont care anymore" maybe we would be still playing something like the Old UO.

And maybe, there would be less freeshards with fewer people on them.

I`m on your radar?Fine.Gonna get banned?I know.
Trolling?I got several infractions for "trolling" yet each time I spoke and got infraction for that I spoke sincerely what I was thinking.I`m sooo soo sorry if what I say hurts a few dozen of active trammel players who have old stratics accounts with thousands of posts on them.

I bet they won`t get an infraction, even if they say the r word here on the boards.

I`m a UO player like the rest here, I dont have a reason to troll anyone, it makes no sense.
But I have reasons to speak what I think is true.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Things change all of the time. Change is happening as we speak. Trammel will always be Trammel. Your game is not in Trammel if you wish to impose your will over another player.

I am sorry Fel and Siege seem deserted, trust me on this.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I actually like this idea, for one thing, if you don't make it back to your corpse by the time it has turned into bones, then there is a good chance you aren't going to make it back to your corpse at all. If that is an issue extend the time before a corpse goes to bones somewhat. For another thing, there have been times when I would like to help someone who was having a hard time getting back to their corpse by looting it for them before it decays. This would allow that as well - although I suppose guild mates can also do this.

So, an example would be, i'm standing in Brit, i'm completely naked and I have nothing in my pack. I happen to be standing there with 10 other people who happen to be naked and they also have empty packs, in Trammel.

A mean, nasty thief comes in and looks puzzled and begins peaking in our packs. In the first 4 people he doesn't see anything in their packs but then someone happens to have an orny on them. So, the thief tries to steal the orny.

Now, if the thief is successful, he has a chance to get away with the orny but if he's not successful, he turns grey. Now, once the thief turns grey, everyone is able to attack him.

So, all the naked people will see this thief turn grey and then be able to kill the thief.

So, turning grey as a thief would allow for people to attack you in Trammel and the people you are stealing from are not really losing anything because it's spawned into your pack once you steal it, before that the items really don't exist.
I actually like this idea as well. I don't know about having ornies spawning randomly in peoples packs, but perhaps a vanishingly small chance of something that valuable, and a higher chance of random magic items, low level runic tools, or various ingredients, or maybe a small chance of a smuggler's lantern, and an even higher chance of something common like bandages, potions, or crafting tools.

W

WhityJinn

*shrugs*

seem deserted?or ARE deserted?People on General chat told me 'oh sure we got around 150-200 ppl running around at all times".

what, are they stealthing all the time?

Fel and Siege are deserted, because no one teaches new UO players to play UO properly.

Thing is, players must be FORCED to play hardcore.And i`m a hardcore player, because once I bought the UO cd, played for months, and there was no insurance, no trammel, no kind GM to wipe my ass when someone steal all the stuff from my house and kills my dog.So I learn to roll hard.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*laughs* Players must be forced? Forced to do what? Play your game? Seriously, you make your desision to play as you will. Live with that desision.

The rest of us will do the same.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Where is the question in this?

Your idea is nonsenical and will never be put into practice.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Where is the question in this?

This. It's not going to happen.

W

WhityJinn

What I said.Players must be FORCED to play hardcore.Not all of them, to some it comes naturally, but most.

First they get hooked up on nice things - friends, guilds, houses, taming sweet animals.Then they get pk`d alot, stolen from, griefed.A lot of people wouldn`t really want to play such game, especially when they know half a dozen other mmos that offer alot of fun and safe gameplay.

Yet they don`t quit.Their friends tell them - wait, don`t quit, we`re gonna learn how to defend ourselves, gonna make a strong guild, you will once again put cool items in your house and tame stuff.

So people stay, though most of them never learn to enjoy all aspects of the game.But they got the firends, the decorated houses and the tamed stuff that is bonding in the stable, so it`s hard for them to leave.
But once they get the opportunity to whine to GMs about how hard their UO life is, they do it all the time.
And eventually they get what they wanted - trammels, insurances, neon cusidhes etc.

W

WhityJinn

Because you would hate it to be put into practice?Calm down, we just want to have some fun with you, people..were not gonna like...take your purple cu-sidhes, or your castles, or your neon robes..Just want to hang out with you, jeez, whats the problem..

seriously now, if many people speak up and try to change something, eventually we will get something changed for us.It`s worth the try,

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because you would hate it to be put into practice?Calm down, we just want to have some fun with you, people..were not gonna like...take your purple cu-sidhes, or your castles, or your neon robes..Just want to hang out with you, jeez, whats the problem..

seriously now, if many people speak up and try to change something, eventually we will get something changed for us.It`s worth the try,
I am a Fel player. My sigs denotes this. I'm beginning to think you are just an agent provocateur for the hardcore Trambles.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

You want players to be forced to play/accommodate your style, yet you continue to berate/mock the play styles of others.

You've got a lot to learn about persuasion, bud.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*shakes head* You just don't get it.

T

Tazar

Oh... he gets it... he's made it plain that it is not about getting the item, but about taking it from others.

There's 3 ways to get ahead in the world...

1.) Work hard and earn it.
2.) Steal it from others.
3.) Tear down the works of others so you look good by comparison.

#1 = progress.

#2 and #3 are just griefing. Sad to see that attitude. It is NOT the virtuous world UO was created to be.

L

longshanks

i can tell the future you know.

i see this thread totally degenerating into a mud slinging fest...

:)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
There is a place for PvP. UO provides that opportunity. Just not in Trammel.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
lol, I think you foretold the present. :p

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
lol, I think you foretold the present. :p
Soon, I think. This thread has run it's inevitable course. You can Trammelize Fel/Siege. There is no way to bring Fel to Trammel. That is truth.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I am sure because I understand the nature of this game and the players. You can not "force" play style.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bring back looting bones. fix the forced trammel loot rules that invaded felucca in felucca. Other than that. let trammel stay trammel and give felucca style game mechanics back to felucca.

N

northwoodschopper

Bring back looting bones. fix the forced trammel loot rules that invaded felucca in felucca. Other than that. let trammel stay trammel and give felucca style game mechanics back to felucca.
join the thieves guild, and everyone can loot your bones on any facet.

hell, my earlier suggestion is the best compromise. join the thieves guild, and you can now steal from fellow thieves on any facet, and loot their corpses on any facet.

you have no reason to join the thieves guild unless you're stealing from other players, so it's even more exclusive than fel is.

on a similar notion, there's a ton of potential for a new thieving system involving the thieves guild, and making another NPC faction for players to join for detectives (the royal guards).

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a long-time PvP thief in this game, no. Trammel is what it is, a safe place for players who do not wish to participate in non-consensual PvP. You already have the ability to force others to play your game, Siege and Fel.

If you want to steal from other players in Trammel, join a guild.

Edit: Of course, not that replying to the OP has any point. I think everyone is aware by now that this person only created his account for the sole purpose of trolling these forums.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
join the thieves guild, and everyone can loot your bones on any facet.
Actually, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but this isn't entirely true. As I understand it items that were just stolen don't drop to your corpse and can't be looted if you are killed immediately after an attempted theft.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Actually, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but this isn't entirely true. As I understand it items that were just stolen don't drop to your corpse and can't be looted if you are killed immediately after an attempted theft.
We call this thief blessed. It's only true sometimes. Seems to be some kind of bug, but it works in our favor occasionally.

K

[King_Fisher]

Stealing from players in trammel will never happen. I don't mind that, some players need a secure place to banksit/work of counts. Some people want to happily skip around Luna throwing flower petals while buying their wares from the price gouging vendors.

That being said, I would like to see stealing and potential loss come back into the game. I do enjoy my grab and dash at the yew gate, but Im reaching my limit on apples. Dungeon item stealing isn't so much as a skill as a dumpster diving dash competing with scripters. The only benefit for being an "honest thief" is scoring an item/scroll from champ spawns. I don't agree with scamming people in tram or joining guilds just to ransack them. But I can see how the current lack of possibilitys for thieving is pushing some to that limit.

Maybe limit the ammount of items you can insure on your person at any given time in fel? Since we can't remove a players head because of the game rating. How about once you kill the thief you take fingerprints? or some type of proof within a certain time limit to a city guard for a reward?

Put us in Jail! Lock us up! How about you give us a timer to be in Jail 20minutes like faction stat? Allow us to smuggle in a single lockpick with a 10% chance of picking the lock to freedom (higher chances with gm lockpick to a maximum of 25%)?

Send the thieves some love! We will continue to ply our trade on our side of the moongate, but giving us some reason for us to stay there would be nice.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
There are a couple of options with out insurance...

K

[King_Fisher]

The main playerbase of fel are Factions/Murders and the occasional champ hunters.

As far as I can tell faction gear is useless to anyone besides the person who paid for it. So they are likely to be carrying pots/apples/bandies.

Non-Faction Murderers as basically in the same boat.

Champ Hunters are the bread and butter of the thieving world.

How about the current gypsy system? 1 in 25000 has a rare item. Make something like this more thief friendly?

Or give a "Fence" to sell our stolen goods to. Say we stole a bandies/pots/ or a powerscroll. Giving us to sell the item to the fence giving us gold or points like the Museum turn ins. Who wouldn't love to have thief deco! Like manacles (different than the rare) or a Ball and chain? Maybe a map to a "mark" (Npc brigands guarding their loot chest).

Allow us to have "___ Stolen from "Player name Here". This allows us to hunt for "targets".

Im bursting with possibilitys here!

W

WhityJinn

king fisher, you are bursting with trammy stuff, not possibilities.

You are seeking some kind of compromise, while I want drastic changes to be made.

you just say 'ok we can`t steal in tram, and there`s nothing to steal in fel, so make Thieving a trammy profession like the others, so we can hunt for tagets/deco items/purpe cusidhes that breath rainbows/iguanas-on-stick.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
You keep terming people who play in fel "trammies". You do realize that "trammy" implies that the player only play in tram rule sets, right?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
WhityJinn. You want to PvP? Cowboy up and play the right facets/shards. It is not going to happen on Trammel. You seem to be a middle of the roader... Wanting the best of both worlds.

UO offers it all. Wonderful game. Go play it. Steal to your heart's delight. On Siege there is no insurance!

Status
Not open for further replies.