• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The "We lub Petra" Babble Thread! BABBLE THREAD [OT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

glass blowing then inscription.

8 sand to make a hollow prism, then inscription to make it 'runed'

G

<blockquote><hr>

aloe vera mixed with a little lavender oil will sort that out hun. but first, stick em under the cold tap til they're numb

[/ QUOTE ]I ran them under the cold tap until they hurt from the cold.
THEN
I finished cooking, with a bottle of ice in my hand

Now, they just hurt quite a lot, which is a big improvement

I can even use my mouse almost normally

G

if you put some aloe and lavender on, it'll help with the sore bits. even just aloe on it's own - it soothes it, and encourages skin cell renewal, so they'll heal faster. or you could just pour yourself a large glass of your chosen poison and stick your fingers in it whilst drinking. they won't heal any faster, but it'll probably help with the pain

I

imported_Tabby Kapak

Hope it feels better soon Kimi!! as a last resort, have a loved one put a kiss on it, sometimes seems to help...

I

imported_Tabby Kapak

Hurray! Goodnight all... Here's hoping for an early morning!

G

Just got home after a 14 hour shift. Not that bad, but it was my birthday (today) yesterday. I'd rather have scolded fingertips!

Can't even get drunk now as I've got to be back in at 10! *Grumbles*

I

imported_Tabby Kapak

Awww, sux Melchiah!! Happy belated birthday! Will you celebrate it later?

And good morning all!

I

imported_Tabby Kapak

good morning fellow babblers!! So not in the mood to go to work... bleh!

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Morning babble-women, babble-men and babble-hermaphrodites!

I had a major computer-crash yesterday. Some nasty trojan wiped-off my rundll32-thingie, so that my ancient but trusted 'puter didn't know anymore what programs are. Tried to fix it, but hours of scrutinizing the internet didn't help, so I had to re-install XP in the end ... ARGH!!!!!!

Now I am seriously thinking about not only replacing my computer but to switch to Vista ... anybody's got any experiences with it? Is the Home Basic edition enough? So many questions, and the week only just started ....

G

I've never used Vista, personally, but everything I've heard makes me want to advise against it.
Vista uses more resources than XP, without offering (as far as I'm aware) significant benefits to the home user. Also, Vista hates having system files modified, so you have to remember to run things like UO as administrator, if there's a patch.

G

I bought a new computer in November, and got stuck with Vista. I have the Home Premium edition (don´t know what the difference is between basic and premium). I still prefer XP, but when you get the hang of Vista it´s quite ok (about as ok as anything Microsoft can ever get...), except for the stupid amount of memory it uses.

When running UO, I was going nuts at first, since I was totally unable to patch, but solved it by (like Kimi said) running the program as administrator. However, the change must be done by right-clicking the exe-file (I thought I could do it from the control panel, but that didn´t work). Now I have no problems running or patching UO, besides an annoying message that pops up every time I try to log in, which informs me that a possible threatening program wants to access the internet, will you still allow it? Yes, and please don´t remind me again. But it will. Every single time.

Edit: However, I´m a very "basic" user. Have never tried to modify files etc. If you´re interested in doing that I have a feeling that Vista would be very... problematic.

G

yes! dont get vista, its terrible. first time i used it on a laptop i got extremely irritated with it in the first 5 minutes (which isnt easy for me). its so slow too, due to the huge memory resources it uses for doing nothing, it makes a brand new laptop with 1gig RAM and a dual core top of the line processor run like a 10 year old desktop! also it has that annoying "do you really want to do this/that" thing popping up on pretty much everything you do.

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the feedback ..

I was thinking about getting the "Basic" version if anything, as it's not only a bit cheaper (without missing anything I would need), but it uses far less resources too, as it doesn't have this fancy new transparent or whatever surface. But I guess I will rather stick with what I've got as long as the ragged old thing under my desk is not exploding in my face .. which might not be that far off anyway *grins*

K

Kayne

Vista is awful. Plain and simple.

UO the annoying "do you want to do this" thing can be turned off - im just not sure how.
Also people who use wireless connections in vista may find reduced performance of the speeds they receive.

G

oh i dont use vista myself, i was playing about with a new laptop that someone had. yeah vista is still in its "open beta" stages and is far from complete, stupid microsoft the money grabbing donkeys!

G

I regret saying earlier today that I thought Vista was quite ok. It´s not! Now it´s refusing to patch and I probably have to do the whole run as administrator procdeure again
Most annoying.

Y

Yewish News

Vista works just fine. As with most things however, some vague idea about what you are doing helps. Take for example the people in this thread saying 'you need to run it as an admin' ... if it's your home PC, why on earth would you not be logged in as an Admin anyway!?

Vista is fine. Those advocating XP are typically not that well clued up.

G

Odd, i'm running Vista 64 business (the backup* feature sold it to me over the ability to hook a 360 up as a media extender** etc), and so far i've not had any real problems with it (although all my hardware is new).

If anything i'm starting to like it more than XP, the mere fact Vista tells you when a SMART warning has been issued by the hard drive, rather than noting it (along with hundreds of others) in the event log, which unless you go looking for it you won't see works well in it's favour.

One thing I have noticed is a lot of companies have basically abandoned their older hardware when it comes to vista support - things like the Soundblaster Audigy cards (third party drivers give them all the features back, but creative basically stuck their fingers up at their customers), and I had to cheat to get my Ati Wonder remote working (install the vista 64 drivers for the receiver, then install the XP home international driver package to get the front end/interface sorted).

*I'm a bit of a worrier with my data, which probably explains why even after about 4 hard drive failures (in short order), I only lost a few days emails.

**Especially as I don't have a 360:p

G

<blockquote><hr>

Vista works just fine. As with most things however, some vague idea about what you are doing helps. Take for example the people in this thread saying 'you need to run it as an admin' ... if it's your home PC, why on earth would you not be logged in as an Admin anyway!?

[/ QUOTE ]Erm... being forever logging in as administrator is a really, really large security issue.
Even for a home PC, since it would allow anything to make system changes, as along as it's run under the admin login.
It is you, sir, who is not so "clued up"

G

I haven't had my morning cup of tea, yet...
So it might be safest to wait until I have

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Morning all!

If only I'd known what I started saying the bad MS-words. Ah well, I guess at one point I won't be able anymore not to adjust and deal with Vi*** and I guess I'll take on the problems as they come then.

Bugger trojan is back, and removing it only causes XP not to recognise programs anymore, but it looks like Antivir is suppressing it ... hmm ... guess I have to wait a bit longer for an anti-spyware program to come up with a more "gentle" way to get rid of it ...

G

have you tried googling for the name of the trojan? That's what I do, usually I find instructions for how to remove it that way

John II SRC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeps, tried that. But so far I could only find it in anti-spyware update lists. So it is known and can be removed, it just seems that my anti-spyware program (Counter Spy) is tackling it too aggressively and destroys the rundll32-file when touching it.

Well, I guess I just have to wait a bit until somebody comes up with a better way to get rid of it ... so far I don't have any problems with performance or so and Antivir seems to prevent it from transmitting anything ... just one of those things I can't really help atm *smirks*

Y

Yewish News

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Erm... being forever logging in as administrator is a really, really large security issue.
Even for a home PC, since it would allow anything to make system changes, as along as it's run under the admin login.
It is you, sir, who is not so "clued up"

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you born upside-down* perhaps? Because you seem to be speaking out of your arse.

The UAC in Vista would notify you prior to any system changes, so even the inept have little to fear from their computer. As for the threat of Trojans and so forth - being logged in as an Administrator has no bearing on the risk these files pose to your machine anyway. Time to cancel your subscription to Computeractive.

* By upside-down I do mean as opposed to the natural manner of head first.

K

Kayne

John, try Spybot and adaware as petra suggested. Both very good programs for these sorts of things.

I

imported_Tabby Kapak

Does the tone need to be so aggressive in here?
(Not meant at one person in particular!!)

G

No, it doesn't.

G'morning all.

Upgraded my avg to version 8 yesterday, running for the first time today, going to be running for ages! I didn't realise the newer free version does spyware and virus scans together.

Good, but time consuming.

G

<blockquote><hr>

ive lost my voice

[/ QUOTE ]Was that yours?
Oh...

If you're quick, you might be able to get am ebay bid in for it...

G

And if you're not quick enough, someone will dupe it
Then one day you'll get it back as a dull brownish thing to match the monks robes, and inevitable monks sandals

Mmmm wonder how long it's been since I babbled last... well, since I last did it in an actual babble thread lol.

Wenchy

G

Are you sure a GM didn't just squelch you and forget to remove it?

afternoon all

G

Ignore them, they're a rotten lot

*passes throat lozenge*

Hope you'll be feeling better soon.

I

imported_Coppelia

I'm lagging like hell on Europa

Tested my bandwith on a website, it says 1.97 Mbps, downloading at 251.66 KB/s.
Fishes are eating the cables going through the Channel or what? Oo

K

Kayne

evening babblers. Speedtest.net is a good site for testing your speed

Status
Not open for further replies.