• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The "Stygian Abyss Client" input thread.

F

Fink

I'd like a "pan" function in SA, to work with zoom.

If you're not zoomed all the way out, perhaps allow the viewable area to be panned within the overall viewable region. For example, to show you more of what's in front of you than behind, or centre your view on a particular character or event, etc. Maybe this could be set up to show you what's up ahead when you break into a run. Basically what you want to look at, rather than where you're standing, could be the focal point. It wouldn't impact things such as casting, archery or bard ranges, just where the viewpoint is centred.

W

Warrior of Time

An addendum to the climate effects above:

Day/Night cycles:

Reduce the number of UO to real time days to 6:1 (double the length of a cuurent UO day)
Set a day/night schedule based on season:

Winter: 1 hour light, 3 hours darkness
Spring/Fall: 2 hours light, 2 hours darkness
Summer: 3 hours light, 1 hour darkness

Alternative: lengthen to 6 hour days

Winter: 2 hour light, 4 hours darkness
Spring/Fall: 3 hours light, 3 hours darkness
Summer: 4 hours light, 2 hour darkness

Seasons would be based on the season of the server's physical location and change accordingly via the real life calendar.

Give an extended period of day-to-night and night-to-day transition for light fading purposes.
You may not want to do the hag quest with days like that. Hard enough as it is when you play short hrs.

Nice to finally make your star chart as it is.

W

Warrior of Time

There was a bug with the KR paperdoll at one point, I think if you equipped a polearm or the like your paperdoll's horizontal scaling blew out to 200% or something.

From that, it seems possible that the paperdoll and all its layers can be dynamically scaled. What I would like to see is a feature where you can set your own paperdoll's scaling, and when others view the doll they see it too.

Something like.. okay, I have a character that's relatively short at 5'4", around Björk's stature. But to look at the existing KR paperdoll, she looks willowy and statuesque.. something like Nicole Kidman's proportions. What I'd like is to be able to shorten the SA paperdoll somewhat, just to give a hint at my character's build.

I'm sure for broader characters too, some horizontal scaling would work just as well. I think paperdoll scaling would add just a little more individuality to characters' appearance.

We have enough trouble keeping hair on a char as it is. Start stretching clothing and armor it would be a problem. Layers conflict as it is.

But they did do a few things in closed beta that seems to go along the same lines. Some clothing items changed the doll a LOT.

I am not sure but I think it was the tunic that when first drawn and placed on the doll looked like I was going to have a baby. Male looked like the belly was running over the belt.

I like the idea just hope they can do it like they did in closed beta. Make the doll more like a doll. Just redress it with only a couple items of clothing.

Look at the elven shirt on the female doll and compair it to the plain dress. Don't get me wrong don't mess with the things we have. Just make new items to give a diff body look.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as paperdolls, perhaps the solution would be to put more paperdoll options besides the ones available with the bodysculptors. Have some short and stocky paperdolls, have some big and tall.
Maybe allow for players to "mod" the paperdolls with skins.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let's talk about Sound in SA.
We get caught up in graphics and effects and how we can improve the circa 1997 graphics to be 2001 style (like KR's attempt). SA will not be 2002+ graphics. From the looks of things... it'll be a combo of 2d and KR. So that's hopeless :bdh:

What CAN be improved to 2009 standards is the Music and Sounds of Ultima. Keep that beautiful classic music and keep the sounds that we are already used to. Bring back the old old music for Yew for example. Or let us pick the music (KR does not let us choose songs like 2D does). Have you noticed Skara Brae and Trinsic and Yew have the same Ultima 9 song, just slightly skewed? That's what pissed me off with Ultima 9 and then UO went ahead and put that in?? SA must have a smart chosen set of songs. If a new player loads up SA with the SA client, he/she must see a great intro (where's that in KR?), must hear a great song representing UO (Stones won't cut it in the intro), and distinct songs that represent what you're doing. Right now it's glitchy, or STALE at best.

***suggestions***
1- Let us be able to pick Sound schemes in SA. (Classic, modern UO, SA). Let us be able to customize that sound scheme.
2- Let us control the length of time a song plays. Repeat song over and over (like now, ugg!) , play once, or set a timer for how long the song plays while you're in that Town or dungeon. Personally, I prefer for the song to play briefly for maybe 4 minutes and then cease for the duration of my bank visit.
3- Let us control which song plays on the start screen of UO. KR has a pic of a huge dragon and a battle going on. Meanwhile KR plays the tranquil song of "Stones". What?? War pic with meditation song? "Stones" was supposed to play whenever you went to a shrine to meditate in the old Ultimas. That's my personal feeling, so hey, why not let me change the song.
4- Allow for 5.1 surround sounds. (not as important, but why not?)

But for SA, let's add some more music and new sounds. Let's not repeat and recycle the same sounds. If the my gargoyle casts Berserk spell... I don't want to hear Divine Fury's sound! If he dies... he shouldn't sound like a human's gasp (nor the usual gargoyle's death gasp). Do you see where I'm going with this?

For CRYING out loud! We can't improve on graphics but we can make the sounds more modern. Ultima is not just about what we see... it's what we feel.. and Music and sound makes us feel like we're a part of a mystical world.

W

Warrior of Time

Let's talk about Sound in SA.
We get caught up in graphics and effects and how we can improve the circa 1997 graphics to be 2001 style (like KR's attempt). SA will not be 2002+ graphics. From the looks of things... it'll be a combo of 2d and KR. So that's hopeless :bdh:

What CAN be improved to 2009 standards is the Music and Sounds of Ultima. Keep that beautiful classic music and keep the sounds that we are already used to. Bring back the old old music for Yew for example. Or let us pick the music (KR does not let us choose songs like 2D does). Have you noticed Skara Brae and Trinsic and Yew have the same Ultima 9 song, just slightly skewed? That's what pissed me off with Ultima 9 and then UO went ahead and put that in?? SA must have a smart chosen set of songs. If a new player loads up SA with the SA client, he/she must see a great intro (where's that in KR?), must hear a great song representing UO (Stones won't cut it in the intro), and distinct songs that represent what you're doing. Right now it's glitchy, or STALE at best.

***suggestions***
1- Let us be able to pick Sound schemes in SA. (Classic, modern UO, SA). Let us be able to customize that sound scheme.
2- Let us control the length of time a song plays. Repeat song over and over (like now, ugg!) , play once, or set a timer for how long the song plays while you're in that Town or dungeon. Personally, I prefer for the song to play briefly for maybe 4 minutes and then cease for the duration of my bank visit.
3- Let us control which song plays on the start screen of UO. KR has a pic of a huge dragon and a battle going on. Meanwhile KR plays the tranquil song of "Stones". What?? War pic with meditation song? "Stones" was supposed to play whenever you went to a shrine to meditate in the old Ultimas. That's my personal feeling, so hey, why not let me change the song.
4- Allow for 5.1 surround sounds. (not as important, but why not?)

But for SA, let's add some more music and new sounds. Let's not repeat and recycle the same sounds. If the my gargoyle casts Berserk spell... I don't want to hear Divine Fury's sound! If he dies... he shouldn't sound like a human's gasp (nor the usual gargoyle's death gasp). Do you see where I'm going with this?

For CRYING out loud! We can't improve on graphics but we can make the sounds more modern. Ultima is not just about what we see... it's what we feel.. and Music and sound makes us feel like we're a part of a mystical world.

If you want to talk about sound and songs. We need to talk about the Song in Dispise. I turned the music compleatly off, Just because of the chanting sound. (Who can call it a song)

Another thing is volume control. Go from some places to another and hear how the volume changes. Then look at the volume of the actions too.

Modern music has no place in an era UO is set. I don't care if EA paid a million for a song. They should want to see if it is on the hit parade before placing it into a game. Also songs can be added later. (Good ones) Use the insterments of the time for it too. I am thinking the sound of a guitar was not one of them. Although they had many string insterments at that time. I think the selection of a song needs to look at the voice of the insterment too. The sound need to match the time period. That alone would help with song selections.

The first songs helped set the mood of an area. That needs to be closly looked into. Entering into a city as opposed to like you say battle.

Selections need to refect the area. If your in an area that a new monsters in set the mood for the area even if there is no monsters there. Just as you say don't overdo the length of time you hear it. Entrence should last about as long as your entering. Then pause and set the dungeon or town's song.

Better blending of area to song to sounds. If in the woods let the sound of the birds blend in with the song by intergrating the two. Bird is part of the forground not background. A layering of sounds. Volume of the dragon overlaying of the song for that area. Can give a 3d effect even though the computer only has 2 speekers. High and low pitch, duration width. Then the volume the depth.

A flat out pause need not be the only way to interduce a song. Volume increase and decrease. And enough length of time to tell would be nice. Suround sound uses volume to let you know what direction the sound is comeing from. Maybe walking into a town the volume could increase as you move in. Who knows.

At any rate I think all 3 dimensions of sound should be used more.

Sound was importent even in the days of the silent movies.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with you 100%.
My meaning for modern meant today's technology, not "modern" style music. Definately the music has to coincide with that period, but use our new technology to update the delivery method and implementation.
They can't win the graphics battle, but surely they can deliver on the music & sound experience, can't they?

W

Warrior of Time

I think they can win on all 3, Art, UI, and music. I also think that they will never please everyone.

I think they are using the best minds for the job too. That would be people like you, me, and all the player's Ideas. Some are doable, others not.

Since closed beta it has come a looonng way. I know because I have seen it. I also seen some fantastic work they did on it. Seeing what I have I want into closed beta of UO/SA. UO/SA I am sure will knock your socks off. There is a lot of things done back then that have not been used yet. The story line, events, testing is winding down. I know that the suggestions that are in here are being looked at. I have been using KR none stop since April 2007.

They know they can put things into a box with things like the, custom IF, art choices, T hunting map locations, (I love these and hopes on SOS) And the MUCH needed instructions for game play. [Crossing fingers for on disk] UO/SA can be the best UO yet. They learned by the early open beta. Do it right it is a win, win [Players and their paychecks]. Wrong we all lose.

The ones willing to actually try now to learn, and make suggestions will be light years ahead. The ones playing may even see the things in it they suggested. I know I am, along with many others. If you want to be part of the ones to change UO forever to things you like, now is the time. I for one am glad they ditched the white part on the blue and gold bugs.

I am sure they are working on the stupid dragon flapping wings. They only need to get what the owner sees and the others sees to match.

I for one want the art for the Gargoyle race changed. I saw what I didn't like with the gargoyles by casting the spell on myself. Yep it is just like the beta art. Look close at it from all directions. Zoom in close in KR and look it over.

That is one thing that will be in UO/SA for sure. So don't overlook suggestions on that one.
You want a real kick try to get in through a door with those wings. The ones in Felucca will like that one. You will want in and Fast. If you think they will stop the wing flapping on them. [And they will] go to Gargoyle city. Take a peek at the ones there and door to body ratios. If you think I haven't you may want to think again. Tinker with what you can do with what you have and see as a gargoyle.

Also you may want to do a little PVM with the stuff you now have. If you think you can only kill sheep do it. No need to PVP in that form to know when your in trouble. Also if you can't arm a weapon when your that way guess who you tell.

This is the UO/SA input. Go for it. I know I will and have.

S

Sirus_Europa

What gives me promise is that they're still making investments such as this into UO. Naturally with a game of this age many of us are concerned that it will just shut down.

With a major expansion coming soon we can be assured that it'll be around a while longer.

My hope of course is that they never shut it down - and just keep making attempts to perfect it.

That being said I'm already happy with UO. I'm happy with the 2d client. I'd rather be using the KR client, but it's too unstable. My only wish for SA is that the client won't crash and get me killed -_-

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really hope they get the crashing fixed. It's not just KR, but 2D crashes too. Happens on multiple computers. Happens to me randomly, it happens to my guildies randomly who use 2D as well.
If it's the server... fix it. If it's the two clients... fix it.

Who can play hours at a time and not crash? Anyone?

SoulWeaver

King of The Bearded Ladies
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe this client needs to be greatly advertised on national tv and public magazines to draw in more players!

And anyone sick of the cheats and dupes going on move to siege perilous!

R

RichDC

I believe this client needs to be greatly advertised on national tv and public magazines to draw in more players!
Senconded,

As i said in another post, I live in the UK and you cant go 5minutes without seeing an advert for WOW with some iconic person! Man of the moment Ozzy Osbourne!!

Please learn from there success and do the same!!!

G

Ghost71

a whole new client? wtf

KR is perfectly good it just needs ATTENTION, we dont need a whole new client! AAARRGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Prediction - this "SA" client will go the same route as 3d/KR... they'l get it half done and abandon it.
I don't see how it could be a whole new client. I thought it was just a expansion for KR.

G

Ghost71

Please, fix clothing and layering on the paperdoll etc. My char still looks funny in KR the way the layering is. And his pendant of the magi looks like a pearl necklace, and his glasses look like glasses instead of sunglasses. It still bugs me with the hooded shrouds in 2D how you got that one little hole in the face. And other things, so yeah please make sure all the clothing and armor looks nice and is layered right.

Oh and also shortcut buttons that work and keep working. In KR the keys that used to bring up your paperdoll and backpack no longer work and haven't for a long time.

S

Shioni

Id really like to see pre set macro load/save you can import for every character.

Pain in the butt to have to set the same macros on every character on 3 accounts.

On top of that I really hope SA, if it even has a custom UI, advertises the best ones available. I played KR for months before I even realized I could down load 1,000% better UI.

Finaly a working private chat system would be epic.

W

Warrior of Time

Please Fix The Gold Ring.

I touch anything at all and it becomes current including me. I can't steal this way. A key to turn it off and one would be nice. I could then use it for current and then turn it off to steal.
Some items can be made current and others can't. An example is the spinning wheel, and the loom.

I know there are problems with targeting. When you look into that also look at the fact it needs to also function with the zoom.

2D you can see peoples names as they come to you. For this to happen right now you must be all the ways out.

I am sure your working on The burst of items coming on the screen. (level 6 t chest) can cause you to actually pause or Lock when they open. Another one is when the 4 monsters come up when the chest does. I just love the way the burst Locks me and at times Drop if the zoom is at default. Zoom in it is not bad. all the way out it don't show enough to have any effect. Please Please load test that.

Please.

O

Old Man of UO

In-Game Performance Benchmark

There are so many tweaks in KR, Windows and graphics cards, that sometimes it's hard to see what effect any changes you made had on the performance. Many programs have this built in to optimize the game. I finally got KR to run well for me, but it took a lot of guessing to see what worked and didn't.

Please add a benchmark of some kind.

R

RichDC

Im gong to say this every time i log on until i see it...

ADVERTISE!!!
ADVERTISE!!!
ADVERTISE!!!

F

Fink

Please, fix clothing and layering on the paperdoll etc. My char still looks funny in KR the way the layering is. And his pendant of the magi looks like a pearl necklace, and his glasses look like glasses instead of sunglasses. It still bugs me with the hooded shrouds in 2D how you got that one little hole in the face. And other things, so yeah please make sure all the clothing and armor looks nice and is layered right.
Yeah, I'd like to see all items for the paperdoll layer or overlap in the manner they do on the 2D paperdoll, and look at least similar to 2D

eg:

Bone Arms cover the forearms only (ie: wrist to elbow)
Fancy shirts sleeves visible from under armour tunics (eg: leaf tunic over fancy shirt)
Jin-Baori is a loose open vest, not skin tight

I know there's a lot of wearable stuff to go through but, if it's done properly, existing players will be more accepting on the new client if it all looks as expected. I know part of what turns me off about KR is my characters are seldom dressed like their 2D counterparts, and I feel the "dress-up" metagame is important to the overall experience.

I'm not talking identical-to-legacy art here, just similar parameters and general "look".

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First off we dont need a new "client" KR is what needs worked on, the idea of the expansion pack is alright as long as anything that people relate the term client to is still done in KR, i think the devs should've never said SA would be avail in 2d, i think they should have done what they planned on from the begining, completely support 2d until 80 percent of the players have switched to KR, Then Gradually drop the 2d client and run soley on KR. Also along with this is they should keep to what they said and only release new expansions for KR NOT 2d. I liked 2d dont get me wrong....3d sucked graphics, playability, it was atrocious. But KR is so much better (and yes belive me i know it has a lot of work to be done still) But seriously, whats with all the add this ui and this ui to sa if its something you want improved on ASK FOR IT TO BE IMPROVED IN KR i.e. in a future patch INSTEAD of turning a content expansion pack into a totally new client expansion.

S

Shioni

I really miss the 3d Art and all the nice animations.

I don't think any new client they make will top the 3d Client in awesomeness

If anything I wish they take away KR and bring back 3d until SA releases :(

Or open a 3d Shard!

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

While the 3d animations were a LOT better than either of the current two clients (because they were "real time" and not "stop-motion"), and even though 3d had several UI enhancements over 2d, I have to disagree.

For me, KR's techonolgical advances as a client make it FAR better than 3d (and I was a solid 3d player for several years before they shut it down). The UI (although lacking a few key 3d enhancements) is overall better for the game and the terrain graphics on a larger monitor are better than the old 2d terrain when zoomed in and pixelated all to hell.

F

Fink

An extra property tag for containers: a saved view setting.

Basically you could open a container, set it to list, legacy, or grid view.. and that view type would be "saved" so next time you access that container it's already in the view type you last chose. This would/could override your default view whenever you browse your containers.

eg:
books in list view
resources in grid view
sub-containers in legacy view

This is basically an expansion on my vendor suggestion of similar ilk.

LessaT

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry if this has been suggested before, but I want to add my "two gold coins". I would really like to see everything cleaned up compared to KR. By that I mean not blurry! The grasslands are a tangle. You can't tell the trees from the grass. The Yucca tree is more or less just a shadow, no detail and not even green. Even turning off shadows doesn't make it better. That is one of the very few things I miss about using the 2d client. The art there is very definable. KR is messy.

The other "fix" I would like to see is with dropping items on the ground or on other characters. I am constantly frustrated with trying to place items or even hand an item to another player. I recently rebuilt my house and redecorated it. Placing furniture and other decos was almost impossible to do in KR and I went back to 2d for this.

That being said, there are a lot of things to like about KR and hopefully, by extention, also SA. Please make sure it is not still in the Beta stage when it is finally released! We have had enough of "WE PAY to test the new client!"

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is the normal KR art totally deleted or is there an option to enable, i like the new KR art especially the houses and the enviroment?

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Hopefully it will at least remain an option. There were a few of us at the last HoC that talked to Supreem about it, I wish I could make only arms and armor use "legacy" graphics (the older graphics being more familiar and logical than some of the newer graphics) and keep the rest KR as I also like the house tiles (especially the wood flooring tiles) and the foliage better in KR than legacy.

G

Ghost71

Redo the beards etc so they look more like 2Ds. long beard should look long etc. Have the option on the hotbar instead of just F1 etc as the key. You can just have letters. Add more char actions bow etc. That's one thing was looking forward to in KR, having all the ones ya had from the first 3D in KR. Fix clothing/armor layering on the paperdoll/char.

G

goodgimp

My requests for the Client are actually pretty simple:

1. Fix the crashes.
2. Fix the crashes.
3. Fix the crashes.

A client that's not stable is of no use to anyone. I play exclusively with KR, I can't go back to the 2D client. But the random crashes really, really kill it (and me).

In all seriousness though, here's my list of relatively simple things to fix:

1. Client stability.

2. Allow me to rebind ALL hotkey functionality. The SHIFT+1-9 to change hotbars DRIVES ME NUTS. That's fine if it's by default, just let me disable it or change it!

2a. Allow me to rebind all controls. This means mousewheel, this means being able to change the "auto run" hotkey (which by default is right-click + left-click).

3. Make clicking on corpses easier. Either with a "Target Next Corpse", "Target Nearest Corpse" keys, or by stopping background junk from superimposing itself. By this I mean, I don't know how many times I've say... killed an Ettin in Despise, only to try to click the corpse for ages and instead just keeps clicking on the hay underneath it, or the blood...

That's it, that's all I really want. Improving client stability and allowing me to change the few controls that I don't have access to other. Other than that, I really love KR, I think it's a huge step forward.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
goodgimp, that is exactly what I want fixed too. I'm not optimistic, because even 2D crashes too and how old is that client.

Minimum... I want what 2D has already.......
When monster spawns (or player), and it's name appears, be able to click on it's name to get the target and to double click it's name to get it's paperdoll (like 2D).

Be able to get a health bar off of the paperdoll (like 2D). Sometimes I'm looking at two paperdolls and I would like to pop open a health bar off rather than trying to find... who was that again and where are they now?

When something dies, and it shows it's corpse name (KR doesn't show name?), be able to click on that name to be able to loot it (like 2D does with UOAssist).

Finally,
It's a pain scrolling through "next hostile" in KR, since it pulls up EV's, animated creatures, summons. Can we have an option to turn this feature off in Tram since they're really not hostile to me?

<<< some might be repeat requests, but it doesn't hurt to repeat >>>

SoulWeaver

King of The Bearded Ladies
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Leave Siege Perilous A Fell Shard Only do not add a trammel fact to it if and when THE SA client comes out!

G

goodgimp

I'm sure that's the way it'll be, pwn.

Btw, great job in that PVP tournament you took part Sunday night a couple weekends back. :)

F

Fink

How about an "expert mode" for system messages?

Some of the system messages are a bit verbose. Filtering out system messages via the chat tabs is an option we currently have. However some system messages are important to catch. It's not always a good idea to filter them out.

What I propose is an "expert message" toggle which gives you more succinct messages. eg:

Your Ki Attack must be complete within 2 seconds for the damage bonus!
..becomes..
Ki Attack primed.

You failed to complete your Ki Attack in time.
..becomes..
Ki Attack failed.

These messages get to the point without a lot of extraneous information. Once you learn what Ki Attack does, you don't need to be reminded of the 2 second timer every time you use it; an expert would already know.

Basically have for each system message an abbreviated version available. This would allow you to keep track of messages without to wading through pages of flowery description.

--

Another addition to the system messages would be a colour-coding option, similar to how you set up text colours & fonts in the 2D client. You could have negative messages show up red eg: "You can't do that", and positive messages in green eg: "Opening door...".

Red and green are just examples here as you'd have to make sure they don't clash with existing colours such as murderer names and party chat, etc.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about an "expert mode" for system messages?

Some of the system messages are a bit verbose. Filtering out system messages via the chat tabs is an option we currently have. However some system messages are important to catch. It's not always a good idea to filter them out.

What I propose is an "expert message" toggle which gives you more succinct messages. eg:

Your Ki Attack must be complete within 2 seconds for the damage bonus!
..becomes..
Ki Attack primed.

You failed to complete your Ki Attack in time.
..becomes..
Ki Attack failed.

These messages get to the point without a lot of extraneous information. Once you learn what Ki Attack does, you don't need to be reminded of the 2 second timer every time you use it; an expert would already know.

Basically have for each system message an abbreviated version available. This would allow you to keep track of messages without to wading through pages of flowery description.

--

Another addition to the system messages would be a colour-coding option, similar to how you set up text colours & fonts in the 2D client. You could have negative messages show up red eg: "You can't do that", and positive messages in green eg: "Opening door...".

Red and green are just examples here as you'd have to make sure they don't clash with existing colours such as murderer names and party chat, etc.
/signed

F

Fink

Idea for a display setting:

Durability and item wear will be more than ever something to keep an eye on with the advent of replicas and imbued items that will eventually wear out and break. Some sort of at-a-glance type of display that shows which items are wearing out prior to it becoming critical would be good.

"Show Wear & Tear" toggled on/off preferably by keystroke

(Assuming the SA paperdoll gump resembles the KR one...) Shows durability of items on the paperdoll, superimposing numbers, eg: 45/150, in the bottom right corner of each "slot" square.

Possibly even colour-code the numbers to make it even easier to see what's in need of repair, turning red when down to the last 10 points, amber when less than 50.. maybe even have those threshold numbers as user-defined settings.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

While we don't have the numbers on the item slots, the durability listing in the custon UIs are color coded starting at white and fading into Red as you near 0 durability in the item properties mouseover. Quite handy.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see many questions are answered in FoF's these days. Is there a planned roadmap available, when the SA Client will eventually reach the beta state?

Another good question is, will the SA Client be free to download? I think it would replace KR, but no clear answer here or?

F

Fink

I see many questions are answered in FoF's these days. Is there a planned roadmap available, when the SA Client will eventually reach the beta state?

Another good question is, will the SA Client be free to download? I think it would replace KR, but no clear answer here or?
I think the SA client is part of the expansion box; you buy the client and expansion in one. Not absolutely sure though.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm pretty sure they said SA client would be free. Only would need the expansion if you want to go to the new area and play as a gargoyle.

It better be free!!! The KR skins got me through it, thank goodness, but I can't keep playing a busted, half-baked KR forever!!

Nystul

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mousewheel support.

Making creatures/players distinctively recognizable. 2D is very easy to identify and spot a player pretty easy, and tell your friend apart from dozens. KR I couldn't say the same for... Ever.

Also use of more vibrant colors & glows. KR was very dull and bland imo. Wasen't as bright or colorful as 2D or what you would expect with most games. I can understand inside dungeons or what not, but running somewhere in ilshenar spirituality or luna for example should have been a bit more vibrant.

Q

Queen Amy

They need to copy the 2D client, interface and all, as just about exactly as they possibly can.

The graphics should be higher res, sure, but substantially the same. Everything needs to have the same scale, the same viewing angle, roughly the same colors. The UI needs to be exactly the same, with graphical gumps, the same style chat, etc.

Then, and only then, should they worry about adding options to make the UI more customizable to other styles that might appeal better to people coming from other games.

Until they nail a client that the vast majority of current subscribers will swap to, they've basically failed. The only way to do that is to give people what they already have, only better.

Their two biggest failures with KR were the UI and the graphics. The UI, to someone used to the 2D client, is horrible. And the graphics are so fuzzy you get a headache trying to figure out what some things are. People logged in, took one look at the freaky interface and the fuzzy graphics, and logged right back out never to try it again.

Agree 100%

Q

Queen Amy

1. An out-of-the-box option to turn on legacy mode that looks and behaves EXACTLY like the 2D client. This must pick up the existing 2D client settings and import them.

2. The same functionality as UOAM; available in a separate resizeable application window. Don't go messing about making it look pretty (in your opinion), just give all the same features as UOAM, particularly tracking of a custom list of players (i.e. not just guild/alliance members) as used in PvP. Just find someone that PvPs and have them demo how they use UOAM.

3. A scripting language. Let's just level the field. If you don't do this then someone else will.

4. Speed. It needs to be as responsive as 2D. If its not then you will never be able to lose the 2D client. The ability to turn off everything fancy as in 1. above will help with this.

Basically you need to provide the speed and functionality of the 2D client + other applications as used in PvP. If you don't then its dead before its launched.

YES
Please read this!

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The one thing i find annoying in KR is getting regs or any thing that is in stacks. Let me pickup the amount a want not the whole pile. When I play in KR I have to log on to 2d to load up my regs and bandaids. Make the game interface play the same.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Shift click-drag will bring up the amount to separate box in KR with BB_Enhanced (I don't remember exactly how it was in Default though. I do know that the method is "reversed" from 2d, but we may have reversed it back to be the same... it's been a while since we did it though, so I'm not 100% certain what the exact direction is/was.

What I do know is this:

Default KR is reversed from 2d
BB_Enhanced method uses shift-click and drag to bring up the number gump.

Hope that made some sense.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a hidden setting to switch between shift-for-all vs shift-for-some... I'll try to remember to find it (and maybe add a toggle to the BB_Enhanced UI).

L

Lord Deception

If the screenshots I saw from the Japanese's UO webpage will be the new client, I'm going to have to slap someone in the development department. Are you guys serious about this? There are so many new games that make UO feels like from a stone age. Take a look at the NEW Diablo 3 graphic. I know you guys layoff some people but c'mon! Give them the job back and make UO better! Not Worst!

F

Fink

If the screenshots I saw from the Japanese's UO webpage will be the new client, I'm going to have to slap someone in the development department. Are you guys serious about this? There are so many new games that make UO feels like from a stone age. Take a look at the NEW Diablo 3 graphic. I know you guys layoff some people but c'mon! Give them the job back and make UO better! Not Worst!
Can you provide a link?