• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The "Stygian Abyss Client" input thread.

M

Malador

A new UO client could clean the player's house, do the laundry and max out their 401k and certain people STILL wouldn't use it and whine about it.
How much they paying you for your support.

The simple fact is that system specs aside many of us cannot run it and that would be the most important improvement they could make.

L

love2winalot

The bottom line is money. Money is based on number of subscribers. Number of subscribers is partly based on the UI.

So, If you can make a UI that is accepted by %85 of the player base, and pre order sales show a %20 increase in the player base, and the 15% of 2d or nothing players quit, this is still a net gain of 5%. :scholar:

Nothing else matters. At the end of the day it all comes down to this. Did we increase the player base, or decrease the player base?

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The bottom line is money. Money is based on number of subscribers. Number of subscribers is partly based on the UI.

So, If you can make a UI that is accepted by %85 of the player base, and pre order sales show a %20 increase in the player base, and the 15% of 2d or nothing players quit, this is still a net gain of 5%. :scholar:

Nothing else matters. At the end of the day it all comes down to this. Did we increase the player base, or decrease the player base?
Yup the bottom line IS money. That is a very important thing to consider.

But also consider what kind of pitch you have to give the folks holding the purse strings to convince them that a new client will be the future of their nearly 11 year old game. Then imagine the response from said purse string holders when all that money they sunk into developing that new client was pretty much lost. As well as the coveted expansion revenue that was to follow was thrown in to the abyss..hehe get it *laughs so hard he slaps his own knee*. Then...THEN just try to talk'em into redesigning that client AGAIN a year after it flops. Just for giggles do it at a time when the economy is performing very poorly... and while your at it do it just after your company shut down part of it's facilities and expensed many employees half way across the country. You know this announcement really does speak volumes about EA's vision of this red-headed stepchild of a game that never got a fair shake. I'm not sure many folks realize just how amazing that is.

I now have my first positive impression of EA. Very few gaming companies would take it on the chin as hard as the KR client did....then have the testicular fortitude to get back in the fight and start swinging.

L

love2winalot

Every attempt to change the game, or add a differnt version have all failed. UO-2, 3D, UOX-KR, and now SA. All were to be the future of the game. All had a lot of money/time/resources poured into it. All Failed. All had the plug pulled. Unless EA knows WHY they all failed, and how to avoid history repeating itself, SA is doomed from the start.

However............If they are bound and determined to make it work, and commit the resources to do so, and actually give the player base what it wants, "AND NOT WHAT EA WANTS", this could break the cycle, and the game could change, and grow, like we all want it to.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Every attempt to change the game, or add a differnt version have all failed. UO-2, 3D, UOX-KR, and now SA. All were to be the future of the game. All had a lot of money/time/resources poured into it. All Failed. All had the plug pulled. Unless EA knows WHY they all failed, and how to avoid history repeating itself, SA is doomed from the start.

However............If they are bound and determined to make it work, and commit the resources to do so, and actually give the player base what it wants, "AND NOT WHAT EA WANTS", this could break the cycle, and the game could change, and grow, like we all want it to.
I wouldn't call UO-2 and UOX failures. They never got out of the gate. You gotta run in the race to loose it! But ya 3D and KR didn't do so great. "this could break the cycle" is just the attitude we should all have. I know the devs (and EA) are thinking something along those lines. Good thing is they are trying again fresh after the KR attempt.

I'm can't say what really happened with KR as far as the half baked beta was concerned. Could have been a bean counter rushing the timeline on a cramped budget ad sparse resources... could well have been the devs just thought it was ready and we'd all love it. I just can't bring myself to believe this new attempt will follow the same path.

One thing already better than before though... 2D will be included in the SA expansion. That's great pr to keep the vets from entrenching themselves around 2D. So it would SEEM that somebody is learning something. Way too early to tell at this point but I hope I'm right this time...

T

Thrand Graywolf

Sorry but this is definitvly wrong!! For old players like you, it might be right, but for new players and i have introdruced a few in the last months. KR is much easier to learn. Its better to understand where the things are, the hotbar, the items in hotbar are much easier to handle than using UOA for a new players.

For new players the options for all this stuff should remain, sure. The more options the better.

But the goal should be, I hope, to get as many people as possible into a single client. Maintaining two clients is a serious pain in the rear from a development/QA point of view. The only way they will ever get the majority of existing players to go to a new client is if it still looks and feels like UO.

That was where they screwed up. People trying KR...when they could get it load at all...didn't see UO, they saw something else entirely. That was enough for it to be dead in the water from the beginning.

They've been scrambling to try and add more "legacy" options to it in an attempt to placate these folks, but it has so far been too little too late.

B

Belmarduk

1. Do it properly this time.
2. Make the graphics etc pleasable for the majority (but modern !)
3. Release ONLY when its FINISHED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4. Deactivate ALL OTHER OLD clients then !!!!

L

love2winalot

I agree. Get it right, beta test the crap out of it on test center, then, and only then, do you release it, and then kill off 2d. The last company that had to different UI was Atari, with the Atari 2600, There was a switch on the back to set the game to be in B/W, or, if you had a New TV, to Color.......:D

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
  • House placement and decoration should work better in SA than it worked in KR.
  • All the small disadvantages of the KR client have to vanish, that make a big difference in PvP. (Like not being able to see the highlighting color, not being able to see if target is poisoned, no mini health bars that are displayed automatically, health bars vanishing when player moves off screen, etc. etc.)
  • Macro functionality needs to be improved. (Like bandage self macros actually working, arm/disarm working better, use item type macros, etc.)
  • I also was hoping most of the artwork would be improved, as some of the KR art looks horrible (concerning size and perspective of objects). But the focus seems more on the interface. Well. KR art still is better than 2D, but it will be difficult to attract new players to the game if SA client hasn't got kickass artwork.
  • Finish the client before releasing it.

Basically, the SA Client needs to be BETTER than the 2D client (especially concerning PvP, PvM, crafting and housing), otherwise people will stick to the old client and the SA Client will fail.

C

Coppelia

• More contrasted, saturated colours.
  • Outlines around items. All items, statics, dynamic, whatever.
  • Correct animations, especially for characters and for mounts.
  • Of course, fix of the bugs and all.
  • Gorgeous paperdolls.
  • Animations again, I'm insisting. No more idling with an arm in the air or the front legs of the horse bend on a standing pose.
  • Coherence between paperdoll and character.
  • More details in items, no flat colours covering a huge part because you burnt it on rendering.
  • No more mobs taking 3x3 tiles, with their graphics going over walls, doors etc. And you don't even see what is the tile your character must be on to be in contact since you graphically already touch them from miles away.
  • Animations. Did I mention it? No more stupid mobs slipping from tile to tile, always doing the same step with the same foot. Give them rollerskates or teleport them I don't know.
When I remember how I was enthousiastic seeing the first screenshots of KR, I wonder how they managed to ruin it.

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I put bandages on my hotbar click it during a fight, I should NEVER get a "dur you cant heal monsters" message just because that's what I have targeted. Terrible design.

I

InTooDeep

I have to agree with Canucklehead73, they really should not have locked the mouse wheel into a function. Kingdom Reborn actually runs fine on my machine, its quite smooth even with lots of people on screen and many spell effects going off. The ONLY reason that I have not switched to it is because I am to old and set in my ways to adjust to new controls. I've been using the mouse wheel for... whenever they decided to make assist legal- that was a while back now. I don't feel that I, or anyone else for that matter, should have to adjust the way they play for something like this.

N

Nosuperiors_Damnfewequals

I now have my first positive impression of EA. Very few gaming companies would take it on the chin as hard as the KR client did....then have the testicular fortitude to get back in the fight and start swinging.
I'm sorry, but i can't resist any longer. Any company that would RELEASE that client as an IMPROVEMENT deserves to take it on the chin, and anywhere else for that matter.

there, I feel better now :)

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry, but i can't resist any longer. Any company that would RELEASE that client as an IMPROVEMENT deserves to take it on the chin, and anywhere else for that matter.

there, I feel better now :)
Oh well it looks like i was wrong anyway. I thought it would be a new client on the same engine. But from the Q&A post it seems rather dissapointing. Thing is there really doesn't look like much will change. Half the alotment of resources are going into bug fixing an performance enhancements.

There was some fella....big_tex or something who claims to have spnt 6 months working on it already. My guess is he is the only guy they have on it. So... if they plan to have it out next year... even at the end of December that's 14 months from now max. Add the 6 months the one guy has spent working on it and thats 20 months total. He has another 4 months fixing bugs and enhancing performance... then another 10 months slapping 2d art all through it and that other stuff and "SA" is born. Since I'm so right at being wrong I'll predict SA will take it on the chin again. Lets hope my predictability pattern continues... cause I really want it to be beautiful.

But if they try to wrap it up in an expansion and SELL me my 2D art and targeting system again along with bug fixes and performance enhancements that should have been here to begin with..... well it won't be the chin I'll be aiming for.

Z

Zyon Rockler

I think one of the things we should be looking at is what ppl do like about the client, not so much what they do not like. The changes made to the KR client that made it different from the 2d client I think was alot of the problem. It made KR different from the 2d client by neglecting so many enhancements to the 2d client it made KR very confusing for alot of ppl.

The 2d client should have been updated, the targeting bubble, the pet bars, the party system bars, and the differences in the way we communicate to the npcs. If these things would have been identical before they released KR then ppl would of had no questions on how to do these things.

Alot of ppl don't understand how much better and easier KR is to use because they could not do the simplest of tasks in the same manner they do in the 2d client.

So, to adapt there was alot of learning, not to mention the macro system, which should of been introduced into the 2d client. The interface of the game could of been updated slowly before the update to the graphics went public.

One of the things that I like most about the KR client is that my char. is able to maximize every ability, hands free. What I mean, is I do not have to search for an icon or open up a book or search for an item that I can not include on my finger tips. I think this comes from the years of experience and learning and achieving, basically all the hard work put into the 2d client was being wrapped up into what will be.

I think it is a shame that ppl are not working harder to accept the changes, things can not remain the same for a technology game. If they did not change the UO systems it would simply become incompatible, let alone the advancements of technology can give us so much more enjoyment. To hold back what the future has to offer would just be a waste.

Some of the problem is that ppl will not let go of the older client. So, they need to be able to switch back and forth without so much as losing a beat, or they will feel they are losing something instead of gaining. So, I do feel more should be done with the 2d client as well as the focus for the future of not only the potential of what Ultima Online is but what it is destined to become.

S

Sheridan

Please keep on topic in your posting for this thread. Only client-related issues should be discussed here. Please keep current gameplay gripes out of this thread and in one of the other 300+ threads we have for that. Thanks!

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Sheridan. Oh, I don't really know how pet names work in KR, but god clean it up for SA. Half the questions I hear are "How do I rename my pet? The thing for it vanished!"

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Beefy - it's only slightly harder to rename a pet in KR than 2D, from the people I know that's done it - and the slight extra difficulty is worth it because you can use SPACES (and I think longer names) in the KR version.

People have actually been PAGED ON who renamed their pets in KR, because people thought the pet names were impossible without cheating....

L

love2winalot

Quote, "People have actually been PAGED ON who renamed their pets in KR, because people thought the pet names were impossible without cheating...." end quote

This, This right here tells you, as much as anything else, Why there needs to be a BOOK, when SA come out. And, from a marketing stand point, it increases sales a lot. After all, when you walk into the store, you walk past the book/game info rack on the way to see what games they have.

S

Sarphus

I want to be able to target using my mouse wheel. I don't like the "cursor last target" and the "last target" functionality we have in KR. I prefer classic targeting with UOA to have mousewheel targeting.

I agree that we need to be able to have 2 dimensional hotbars. I would like to be able to juts click/drag a hotbar to form a hotbar that's X by Y in size. I also want to be able to remove those default hotbars from the screen. I don't like when I accidentally toggle one, thus changing all my macros.

It would be nice if the client had built in loot filters, so the player could set thresholds for item mods and only see items that meet those thresholds.

I agree that modding is absolutely essential.

Gildar is right, we absolutely need file I/O. I wanted to mod my animal lore gump so it would pull creature thresholds from local files to determine how it hilights creature stats. I couldn't do this, so I went with local constants, which is sloppy. The file I/O should be limited to a specific area to prevent people from writing "spyware" mods, but there should be some form of file I/O permitted to modders.

I would also like to see the devs expose more data and callbacks to the client. I would like to see the client data exposed to modders in a more elegant way. I wrote an animal lore gump and I had to parse out a bunch of markup code to get to the data. It would be nice if the data could be accessed through an object-based system where you type something like AnimalLore.StrengthValue, AnimalLore.StrengthMin, AnimalLore.StrengthMax, etc. Exposing the data like this would allow moders to make much cooler mods. I use animal lore as my example because that happens to be a gump that I would want to mod. In the example of an animal lore gump, the modder could hue data readings based on where they fall within the min and max that is possible on that type of creature.

Another instance where I ran into modding issues was when I tried to write a gump to automatically build a list of all creatures that met certain criteria. The idea was to have targetable healthbars (or at the very least "name bars") of all targets on the screen to assist with "click to target" targeting. I had a lot of problems writing this gump and eventually decided that I didn't want to invest the time it would take to kludge around some of the more challenging obstacles. At one point I had a gump that could build the list, but it would miss callbacks, which caused the list to continue to grow whether things were still on my screen or not.

There needs to be a method that allows a mod to request all objects of a certain type on screen. I want to be able to ask the client to list all aggressive monsters on screen and then allow me to register their healthbar information, for example.

Sorry if I'm a little off base. I'm speaking from my modding experience which is about a year stale at this point.

S

Sarphus

Beefy - it's only slightly harder to rename a pet in KR than 2D, from the people I know that's done it - and the slight extra difficulty is worth it because you can use SPACES (and I think longer names) in the KR version.

People have actually been PAGED ON who renamed their pets in KR, because people thought the pet names were impossible without cheating....
I actually modded my pets gump to disable pet renaming, because I kept renaming pets by accident. I was going to put a toggleable "pet name lock" on my pets gump, but then I got too busy irl and never got it written.

Add that to the list of things I think the SA client should address. I think we should have a toggleable lock for our pet names, so we don't accidentally rename pets.

N

Nenime

A feature I would really love to see in the new client is the possibility to remove corpses.

When you're in the middle of a decent spawn, it is so annoying to search the latest corpse by 'control-shift'ing (i.e. Painted Caves, Miasma, Rotting Corpses and Mummies in Doom, and many others...).

B

Belmarduk

A feature I would really love to see in the new client is the possibility to remove corpses.

When you're in the middle of a decent spawn, it is so annoying to search the latest corpse by 'control-shift'ing (i.e. Painted Caves, Miasma, Rotting Corpses and Mummies in Doom, and many others...).
I would like to be able to collect player-corpses :)
In Eve I have a hangar on a station with many frozen corpses :D
Bring back that feature in Uo please.
Greetings Belmarduk

M

Merv DeGriff

With KR, various face options were added to the game. However players with 2d are unable to see them.

With the new SA client can we push the new paperdoll art to 2d players?
I've got my elf with the meer face/body spots figured it'd be nice to see in 2d as well.

No new art needed, we already have the patterns.
Making the spots and face viewable in the game window would be nice too.

Just my 2gp.

Rhiannon

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Being an 11 year old vet, I was delighted when KR came out. There were many things I liked about it, and it did make UO fresh for me again. I did start seeing the many problems that the other posters are mentioning here. But what effected me the most, and what I hope they can fix in SA, is the vendor issues. It's impossible for me to setup and run vendors in KR, which is really the only "deal breaker" for me. I have posted the vendor bugs many times on the tech forums, and with EA directly, and have never heard anything back.

So my only suggestion would be to make sure the vendors work.

B

BadManiac

Glad to hear they are improving the new client. So here's my list.

* No blur. Get rid of the antialiased blended adges of ALL art. Give us contrast and outlines just like in 2D.

* Complete classic 2D interface. No chat box, classic radar map, no portrait bar, no targetting system, classic containers, loose spell and skill icons that snap together like in old 3D, no hotbars. Classic healthbars that snap together.

* Drakes and brown dragons. (still not in KR?)

* Fix scaling issues, and art size inconsistencies. Pack beetles too large for example.

* Please give me back my cool 2D reptalon. Get rid of the ugly clown nosed one from KR that doesnm't even jump and flap it's wings when running.

* fix the overly smooth floaty movement. Add back the "steps" as in 2D.

Give us what KR should have been, 2D with higher resolution graphics. Not a blurry lower resolution UO with a totally different and generic UI, and where nothing looks or works the way it had for 10 years.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Glad to hear they are improving the new client. So here's my list.

* No blur. Get rid of the antialiased blended adges of ALL art. Give us contrast and outlines just like in 2D.

* Complete classic 2D interface. No chat box, classic radar map, no portrait bar, no targetting system, classic containers, loose spell and skill icons that snap together like in old 3D, no hotbars. Classic healthbars that snap together.

* Drakes and brown dragons. (still not in KR?)

* Fix scaling issues, and art size inconsistencies. Pack beetles too large for example.

* Please give me back my cool 2D reptalon. Get rid of the ugly clown nosed one from KR that doesnm't even jump and flap it's wings when running.

* fix the overly smooth floaty movement. Add back the "steps" as in 2D.

Give us what KR should have been, 2D with higher resolution graphics. Not a blurry lower resolution UO with a totally different and generic UI, and where nothing looks or works the way it had for 10 years.
* and my third dawn firesteed

S

Sarphus

It would be great if we had the ability to make custom filters that can be used to determine what is displayed on the client.

I agree that being able to hide corpses after they're looted would be great, but I don't think we should stop there. I'd like to be able to make complex filters to hide items on corpses based on the mods on the items. I'd like to be able to apply filters to my all names macro to only display names of aggressives or change my filters to only show names of invulnerables, etc. I want to be able to hit a macro to hide all corpses on the screen, so only new corpses would be displayed on the client (which I think is what you're asking for). I want to be able to apply a filter to my hide corpses macro so I can specify to not hide player corpses or to not hide MY corpses. I want to be able to toggle off my hiding filters. I want flexibility.

While I'm thinking about corpses and looting them, it would be cool if there was a "corpses" gump, which showed a list of all corpses on the screen. The corpses gump would have toggleable checkboxes at the top of it, which would apply filters to the corpses displayed in the gump. It would also have a button at the top that would clear all corpses from the gump, so it would begin filling again as new corpses come onto the screen. The corpses gump would have filters to show/hide monster corpses, player corpses and corpses for your character. The list of corpses on the corpses gump would be a scrollable list of corpse names. Clicking a name on the corpses gump would target that corpse with the target reticle. Double clicking the name of a corpse on the corpses gump would try to open the corpse. If you really want to hit a home run, the corpses gump would sort its list by the age of the corpses with newer ones on top.

I want to be able to make macros to zoom to specific distances rather than needing to hold a zoom key to eventually zoom to a distance.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I want to be able to make macros to zoom to specific distances rather than needing to hold a zoom key to eventually zoom to a distance.
I second this idea -

Part of the problem with the "KR is all blurry" crowd is that they have messed up their zoom settings. IMO at least half of them could fix the blurriness by being at the proper zoom settings (plus updating their directX & video card drivers), but when you mention the concept of altering their zoom distance to "unblur" the items, they look at you like you just asked them to eat their pet (as doing so, and actually succeeding, would remove their crutch needed to continue their rants).

The other half of the "Blurry KR" problem is personal art preferences. Sor of like the level of detail between the old "X-com/UFO" games and their modern counterparts put out my new companies in recent years. Similar play style, similar layout - but some see the minimalist art of the early 90s games as being "sharper and more detailed" than those of 2005-2006 era games which actually have much greater detail - but so much that things no longer look as "clean-room clean" as the original games, and they confuse more realistic detail as NOT being detailed.

T

Tazar

Since the Austin Town hall meeting has been canceled, I can not pose this question in person... however... there is an 11+ year old bug that can be easily fixed in the new client - if they will.

Basically... take two characters on the same account and name them the same... then try to set up macros.... or screen settings (tile options, etc.)... or KR hotbars, etc... swap to the 2nd character and you get the 1st character's settings... set up the 2nd the way you want it, and the 1st is ruined...

Can we finally get a character's macro and screen settings identified by character slot number rather than character name (or some other variable)? I may be wrong, but it seems like a very easy fix if you are already rebuilding the client.

W

Warrior of Time

One cange to the targeting need to be used in T hunting is miss the follage time. In 2D you have small tree to miss nd once under it you can then target the ground. Try that in KR as it is you hit the tree. It don't help toremove the foliage since it is still there just not seen. Then you get the that is too far line and need to do it gain. Right now the trees are on an active layer to keep from walking through one, not the background one. We need to be able to target through the tree. We had a probem with that in mineing. Targeting through the tree to the ground would help.

I think tht moddabilty is here to stay. There will be very little to mod with a good default when installed though. That way anyone can use it from the start KR from a 15 to a 60 year old.

Hitting all names shows the last killed on the bottom of the stack not the top. That means that you dig through every handle to get to the last one. Worse yet you must right click the gem to clear that handle. Right click the handle always worked in 2D. If we need to have the blue area click only so we can keep the right click looting a least ave the area a little larger to make it easier to hit.

The bar works great for he first one. I think the snap to grid we had in 3D worked very well and draging other spells and things should be used to add more items to the desktop. Why add a bar if all I want is one or two more spells or what ever on the desktop. Snapping any number in any direction should be added.

Droppng things onto the char or NPC health bar worked great. Why not use it to drop bods and pass other things to each other. It worked in 3D why not use it here. that bar could also be dragged to a diff part of the screen and still hit the player. You still had to be close enough just like now. The wide bar is much easier to use when doing simple things like feed small pets too.

Full screen should not be the defalt setting. Part of the reason is the controlling more pixels slows people down to a crawl. First thing I always ask when a prson moves slow is:are you on full screen or flexable desktop. That one change removes some of the blur and addsa lot to the speed of movement. When I did that I could then out run others that use 2D. Besides that is the way UO looked when we play it in 2D. It adds to the look and feel of UO.

It was not familiarty that we want. It is a simple interface we had that makes UO stand apart from others, I think simpler is better. Makeing RK that way should go along way towords getting people to move over to KR.

H

HintshigenElgin

Can we make sure that house customization (building) works properly this time? i.e., the surrounding houses drop to whatever floor your working on so as not to block your view while building.

P

Poison Lord

No offense Thrand, but I would HATE to see the 2d landscape textures in KR. The ONLY 2d artwork I think that should have been used from day 1 is the art for (non-plant) items (especially armor and weapons as many of those have changed significantly enough that it takes a while to mentally match what the items are).

However, the plants and landscape in KR are SOOOOOO much better in KR than in 2d. The plants in 2d look so scrawny next to the lushness of the same plant in KR.

So in that regard, I would HATE to see the artwork go backwards. UI? Well, you should see what Zym has been up to.

I totally agree with you...

W

Warrior of Time

No offense Thrand, but I would HATE to see the 2d landscape textures in KR. The ONLY 2d artwork I think that should have been used from day 1 is the art for (non-plant) items (especially armor and weapons as many of those have changed significantly enough that it takes a while to mentally match what the items are).

However, the plants and landscape in KR are SOOOOOO much better in KR than in 2d. The plants in 2d look so scrawny next to the lushness of the same plant in KR.

So in that regard, I would HATE to see the artwork go backwards. UI? Well, you should see what Zym has been up to.

I like the armor and weapons myself since A good bit of it can be bought and worn in reenactments. Giving a realistic look to it in game. There other choices out there that should have been picked from, [Circus hammer looking maul?] just to name one.

Some of the art they did use for in game can be seen at this web page.

http://www.armorvenue.com/medieval-helmets/

Just happened to be the first on the search list.

I think they did a great job.

Some weapons can even be bought battle ready. {with an edge} I don't see how they keep from killing each other. Only thing I have to say is they must be really good friends.
Some actually stage fights.

Smaller men most tims wears the plate armor since it can weigh so much.

Over all the artist did a Fine job.

L

Law of Hell

I beg that they remove that new skill "mystical" if i understood well enough with this skill we will be able to choose the mods we want on a crafted items.

Me and the PvP comunity beg you not to do that, crafted items are now THE economy of UO and if we change that there will be nothing left, as artifacts dont worth anything now, this will maybe be the greatest mistake in this game, we are sincerely begging the mods right now, please do something about it, i am ready to make a petition that could be sent to them, if they change that i anounce it : the game will die in no time.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Mystical???

That's not any skill I know of, planned or otherwise.

There's going to be "Imbuing", but that requires destroying one item, to add one of its properties to another, and probably a high chance of destroying the target item in attempting it (and can't be done to artifacts), but that's not choosing properties for items.

Besides, that's a SERVER issue, and we're discussing CLIENT plans here.

Amren

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The SA client should have the "ease of use" of the 2d client, and should have the graphical capabilities of Diablo3 or Age Of Empires 3...

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Is the ease of use of 2d come from the client itself or your familiarity with the client?

2d had its own learning curve as does KR, but after knowing how to use KR, there are quite a few things I would consider easier or faster to do or set up in KR than in 2d.

A

Angus MacGregor

If I was designing a new UI for UO from the ground up, I would look at what other game systems have done since UO and apply it to UO.

Chat. There needs to be chat boxes like Everquest. You need to be able to have 3, 4, 5 or even more boxes for ongoing chats. I know when I played EQ, I was in /guild, /group, /global chanter, /friend chat all in different boxes, and that didn't include boxes for raid and spam.

Hot bars. Absolutely essential.

Modable. The EQ interface was modable using XML. No reason UO couldn't be handled in the same way.

Targeting- there has to be a better way to target. I like being able to 'cycle' through targets. One key for friendly and one for not friendly targets. And speaking of that...

A target box. A box that shows the name and the hp's left of whatever I am targeting at that time.

'Party' Box. I want a static box where members of my party are shown and their bars are shown that I don't have to keep pulling them.

That would be a good start.

You can e-mail me at [email protected] for more direct responses.
What this guy said.

And fix boats. And by fix, I mean completely redo.

B

Bouche835

Just fix the graphics for the charger of the fallen. This is the only reason I do not play KR. .

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I was designing a new UI for UO from the ground up, I would look at what other game systems have done since UO and apply it to UO.

Chat. There needs to be chat boxes like Everquest. You need to be able to have 3, 4, 5 or even more boxes for ongoing chats. I know when I played EQ, I was in /guild, /group, /global chanter, /friend chat all in different boxes, and that didn't include boxes for raid and spam.

Hot bars. Absolutely essential.

Modable. The EQ interface was modable using XML. No reason UO couldn't be handled in the same way.

Targeting- there has to be a better way to target. I like being able to 'cycle' through targets. One key for friendly and one for not friendly targets. And speaking of that...

A target box. A box that shows the name and the hp's left of whatever I am targeting at that time.

'Party' Box. I want a static box where members of my party are shown and their bars are shown that I don't have to keep pulling them.

That would be a good start.

You can e-mail me at [email protected] for more direct responses.
You have never tried KR or? All things, really all are included in KR.

Lyconis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Targeting system.
Like another said, targets from self vs last target. Original 2d blue bar target system has it down.

Area the targeting system covers. The blue bar targeting system covers 18 tiles left, right, up, down diagonal walking away or towards the target. The new (2d) system fades in and out alot different. It does about 16 diagonal away, and 15 towards. left and right does 11 away 10 towards, then up and down handles 8 away 7 towards. This makes pulling mob targets harder, along with chasing targets more difficult.

An icon that doesn't take much space for current target. Blue bar does not take up alot of the screen, new bar does. The select nearest hostile, why don't we have closest gray/red. If say an ettin spawns on top of me I don't want to use a select nearest hostile and have it flag the ettin trapped on my screen that flagged me, I want it to select the ettin I'm on top of.

Similar interface, items with 2d icons but a 3d world would be fine to me atleast for things like armor weapons. Biggest thing is the sandals, the original third dawn 3d had strings for sandals. I like my bulky cover the foot big leather strapping sandals. I like golf sandals more than beach sandals. (like the way they are in 2d). I have a sandal fetish near 100 black sandals, all pre aos (enticement era) sandals, browns, blues, reds, brides maid white. Then bunches of hot colored AOS sandals.. With other art, don't change it so drastically. I like my plain plate helm. I don't need a Monty Python Holy grail the nights that say NI helmet. The orcs in KR looked so ugly. UO to me has always been brownish tan orcs that looked human-like but stronger, to me thats signifies UO over other games like warhammer (the miniatures, no idea how they look in the new video game).

I spent the majority of the beta for KR having a difficult time lagging trying to open chests, walk etc. An FPS counter please! I could have found out my video card memory was choking on the client and turned down my settings to adjust for the lag. Towards the end of the beta testing I turned down all my settings and went to the lowest resolution and was finally able to walk and open a chest.

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since we're going to have 2D and KR (SA), then the terrain has to match. Right now, If I'm at the Yew cotton fields on KR and on the outer edge of the field, I seem to be on the brown plowed field, but to others using 2D, I'm outside the field and on green grass. I got disqualified in a pvp cause I stepped out of bounds (according to 2D). This has to be in sync.

S

Sarphus

It would be great if you could see what buffs and debuffs are on your current target.

D

DHMagicMan_1

The only UI thing that I'm looking for in a new client... and probably the only thing that would automatically make me give up the 2D client immediately...

A in game map of the land mass you are currently on... that puny little disk of a **** ant map we get in 2D is about as useless as well I don't need to go there...

The in game map doesn't need to be super complex like UOAutomap used to be with linking other players and bringing them find them etc... I just want to know where I am on the land mass and where I'm trying to get to... if they want to do it "Clouded over" like WoW when you first get to new areas you've never been that's fine, you can still tell roughly where on the continent you are and know to head west or whatever.

Using the little disk map would make me quit today if I didn't have access to lots of Rune Librarys so I almost never have to walk around the land anyway... but walking around TC1 for the first time in YEARS without Runes was a freakish experience.

I bet Zork had better maps and it was TEXT!