• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The "Stygian Abyss Client" input thread.

Violence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I prefer 800x600 in 2D as I would probably go blind playing KR, although I have the hardware to run anything.

If UO is to survive then we need a hot-shot client, so good that people will not even have to consider reverting to 2D. Hell, there are enough games out there, like Oblivion and NWN2, for the programmers to figure out what people like. Who cares whether it takes another year or not, just keep churning out events and we'll wait, but this time it had better be a good one.
What a joke. Playing 2D as you describe would blind you anyway. Oh and here we go with yet another poster who now has "The hardware to run anything" but is against developing a graphically vastly superior Client. What's next, the old argument about game-play being everything? As if you can't mix the two..

On top of that some will wish that by "Hot-Shot" you mean Cheat-Friendly. EA should advertize it as such. Then they'd get the BULK of their customers(whether this includes most Forums members I refuse to discuss) buying SA like there's no tomorrow.

The Devs borrowing ideas? They've been at it, haven't you noticed.. I mean you sound like you've played a lot of RPGs and MMORPGs. They just borrow the crappy ones, a very unique EA ability in itself. ;D

T

Tak

Thread is about the client, but cant resist to write down whats a must have in the addon:

1) Storyteller System.
Face it, KR/SA cant handle 30+ fighting people at screen within reasonable system specs and EM's cant handle much more people in an event.

If we say people in UO arent big fans of scripted quests written in stone like you have in WOW&Co., why not combine flexibility of EM's with scripts?

All EM's should have to do is to setup temporary quests and only play a key role live. Something like: Place NPC->Set Lifetime->Text A->condition:i.e if player has quest item X->Text B->NPC do something...
And dont even think about LUA and crap! If it takes more then 10 minutes to setup something like last Valentines Event, programmers should call their created tools for EM's "Crapsoft1982".

2) Dungeons and monsters.
By all means upgrade them (already happened, but not enough).
Every true new player who is leaving Haven will be dissapointed by monsters and dungeons. Why solving a riddle there or finaly killing a succubus here? With very few exceptions the only difference in monsters is the difficulty and ammount of gold. Take a horse and you can cross a whole dungeon. But why you should except for champ spawns? That makes exploring in UO rather pointless if there isnt an event.

I doubt a new player starts the game and stays because a green mug is totaly fascinating. Most of them enter the game for adventure and "glory" and only after months of playing he will be addicted to all the nice little "The Sims" things you can have in UO.

Look at the Homepage. Why a Gargoyle with Sword and not a trader in front of a bank counting gold? Because it attracts more players i guess?
Gameplay should reflect that way more.

3)
There must be a training place for PVP. A place which makes it possible to fight continuous until you get a feeling for UO's special PVP rules (including "ping"). To create such a place there is no way around: there must be a system to reward players which take part. And a system to avoid item insurance and other penalties. Easy listening PVP. It gets serious soon enough.

Yes, you could say its not good if a young player will be killed in 0.5 seconds by a veteran. Wrong. Currently you have to pay insurance and have to wait a day or more until the next chance for PVP is there (if you arent a big fan of gank action). Look for a guild to train? In theory a good idea. In reality you cant expect guild members training someone 2 hours a day until he could catch up with veterans. Even then, its not the "real life" situation.

Balanced or not, UO's PVP is fun, no reason to hide it.

4)
Item description and easy comparison of equip (like in WOW) is a must have this days. Its okay if you have to find out how to use a special rare item. Its not okay to start a new mmo and spend more hours in google then in the game. Served well as time sink years ago, now it makes new player leave.

L

Lord Patapon

A lot of good things have been said above, but I would like to insist a bit on a single point, a point that a lot of others have expressed... but still:

Don't go too fast, release the client when it IS ready !

(yeah, I know)

F

Fink

One problem with a "free" pvp arena is people won't want to leave... like Test shards and their floating communities. Pretty much all you want it to achieve can be done via a good guild, though.

K

katherinepgoh

I want to be able to do everything with the same normal hotkeys that show up in 2d to be an option to choose for SA.

If you can't give me all the functionality that UOAssist has, such as counting resources, showing health/mana/stamina as numerals at the top, and showing physical weight/amount of gold/arrows/bolts/potions/reagents wherever i want them to go and not stuck as part of a giant status bar, then you will never see me switch clients.

If you can't let me choose how i talk, and do it the way 2d does, that I've grown used to for this many years, then I don't want to be forced to learn a new way.

If I have to create my own interface to get these things, why would I swap? I know a lot of people find these things fun and challenging, but if I have the choice to play the game I love in the way I know how, or spend hours, days, weeks trying to figure out how to copy it just for some disproportionate glittery art, You better believe I'll pick the first one every time.

I want characters to be able to be altered by height/weight. This is a pipe dream, but as long as we're making wishes...

For the love of all that's good and holy, can we please stop wearing diapers?

If you can add a functionality to the radarmap that allows you toggle being visible on radar to guildmates on the same facet as you, that would be amazing.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I want to be able to do everything with the same normal hotkeys that show up in 2d to be an option to choose for SA.

Already possible

If you can't give me all the functionality that UOAssist has, such as counting resources, showing health/mana/stamina as numerals at the top, and showing physical weight/amount of gold/arrows/bolts/potions/reagents wherever i want them to go

Resource tracking already possible via Hotbars, health/mana/stamina numbers toggleable to show in User Settings.

If you can't let me choose how i talk, and do it the way 2d does

Toggleable option in User Settings

If I have to create my own interface to get these things

You don't, as you already stated: I know a lot of people find these things fun and challenging No need to build your own UI, there is already a passionate group of people doing it for you and adding things above and beyond either clients' UIs or UOA additions.

For the love of all that's good and holy, can we please stop wearing diapers?

Several different paperdoll images to choose from in KR/SA now... some of the female models are quite nice as well and without diapers.

If you can add a functionality to the radarmap that allows you toggle being visible on radar to guildmates on the same facet as you, that would be amazing

We'll see on that one, they've already stated they are redoing the map system, so maybe....

S

somoka

quick question; will gargoyles be susceptible to gargoyle slaying weapons?

O

Old Man of UO

quick question; will gargoyles be susceptible to gargoyle slaying weapons?
They already are, unless you mean Player Race Gargoyles... then that would not make any sense in PvP now would it? Damage is already capped at 35, so what would be the point?

R

RichDC

They already are, unless you mean Player Race Gargoyles... then that would not make any sense in PvP now would it? Damage is already capped at 35, so what would be the point?
A mage can make a player using the conjerers trinket take slayer level damage...test this out...cast FS on someone with the trinket on...mark up damage (around35-40ish) then polymorph into orc form and repeat (last time 60-70damage!)

S

somoka

i meant the player race. i was also unaware that pvp damage was capped at 35.

to Rich: i've heard of this before, but never tried or had it happen to me

V

Valentina

Core 2 Duo 2.83 GHz processor
3.25GB Ram
GeForce 8600 GT

Maybe I am over-speced?
That is very strange. All I can say is that I am, at this moment, leveing wrestling in KR by beating up my summons; writting this note; and playing Sins of a Solar Empire against 9 computer opponents. My system is not substantially better than yours - in fact, I have a lower processor speed.

L

Lore Master

heres some things i want with SA
  1. Find and try to hire the guy who created UO Auto Map and implement UO Auto map into the new client or just try to buy the rights from him and implement UO Auto Map into the new client.
  2. Give us the old 3d container gumps as an option please.
  3. Give us another storage increase please.
  4. Give us an 8th character slot to make a gargoyle race please.
  5. Implement punk buster to stop some cheats and exploits.
  6. Don't Rush the client make sure everything is right first.
  7. Bigger then 18x18 costumizable housing would be nice.
Those are just a few things i would like when SA comes out

S

Shioni

The orcs in KR looked so ugly. UO to me has always been brownish tan orcs that looked human-like but stronger
Im not 100% sure but i believe UO was the first game to ever illustrate an Orc and according to the lore it is half dog, half human

I just wanted to add if it hasn't been said that I hope SA custom houses show the second story of a house when there is nothing above you on the first story... And i also hope to god you cant see trees or candle bleed threw the floors, and can actually walk up the blasted ladders... If the ladders don't work I'm basically closing my extra accounts moving to VA and forcing Cal to get me a job so i can fix it my damn self. -.-

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i meant the player race. i was also unaware that pvp damage was capped at 35.

to Rich: i've heard of this before, but never tried or had it happen to me
Oh yeah, try being the unfortunate ******* with Ogre Slayer on his best weapon, necromage in wraith form can corpse skin me and flamestrike me for over 100 damnage. imagine an explo-fs

S

SwordBlaze

This was probably mentioned but I do not feel like reading this whole thread lol......

I like seeing a backpack when I open my inventory or a chest when open a chest etc. Please keep this in. I never player KR but I heard they changed it.

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The ability to set keybinds to mousebuttons. The ability to overwrite an existing keybind (in KR you first have to reset to be able to bind the key). The ability to record small macros with the client (dismount etc.)

If there's gonna be actionbars we should be able to move, rezize and make them stick to each other etc. New banners that take less space and dont go apescheiß when you change subservers.

If you can do those things you've made the game playable without having to download a 3rd party app. I'm not tipping my hat yet - I'm not clapping yet. I'll do those + **** bricks when I see it.

F

Frey Wavestrider

ok not sure this is the right thread but here goes. Took out my fletcher to get gains and to work on heartwood quests. I had heard that SA was not great for crafting. Anyway got a quest open the fletching kit and saw no make ten option available, more importantly I did not see a toggle as quest item switch. The only reason I used KR was for the crafting options and for some reason SA lost them. So I am hoping they get put back in before the official launch.

Kelly Daze

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about adding some visual effects to chiv spells!!! Also I really like the new client for pvm. I haven;t tried it yet for pvp but I will.

R

Radix

There are so many new games that make UO feels like from a stone age. Take a look at the NEW

Diablo 3 graphic. I know you guys layoff some people but c'mon! Give them the job back and make UO better! Not Worst!
absolutly agree.
yeees, if we cant enjoy a full 3d engine, at least some good looking like that, from this millenium!!

• More contrasted, saturated colours.
  • Outlines around items. All items, statics, dynamic, whatever.
  • Correct animations, especially for characters and for mounts.
  • Of course, fix of the bugs and all.
  • Gorgeous paperdolls.
  • Animations again, I'm insisting. No more idling with an arm in the air or the front legs of the horse bend on a standing pose.
  • Coherence between paperdoll and character.
  • More details in items, no flat colours covering a huge part because you burnt it on rendering.
  • No more mobs taking 3x3 tiles, with their graphics going over walls, doors etc. And you don't even see what is the tile your

character must be on to be in contact since you graphically already touch them from miles away.
  • Animations. Did I mention it? No more stupid mobs slipping from tile to tile, always doing the same step with the same foot. Give

them rollerskates or teleport them I don't know.
When I remember how I was enthousiastic seeing the first screenshots of KR
YES YES YEEEES!!! more more and more animations!! specially in combat! Hell!

well, now i am going to stay comfortable, i have to say some words:
First a little introduction: i am an old player, i began in t2a, played about 2 years, left, played a bit 3d, left, and 18 months ago come

back and after triying KR jumped to this client without doubts, now i play 95% KR, specially after reading the awesome post of KR

modders (great job guys).

I don´t understand so many nonsense about blurr, not eficient, slow, unplayable... with KR + enhanced + common PC and little system

care KR works smooth and much faster than 2D, with veeeeeery better graphics (except for blind people), more animations, much better

and easier ui and macro creating system (i know both ui's for good, so i can say), only problem is those bugs not fixed (like the

infamous stripper mode), but there is no bugs you cannot deal with. One week playing with KR and cannot come back to the ugly and

stone age 2D client. And u use to the new graphics, although is true that some things had changed too much.Simply, i can't come back,

it's a eye pain!

Some people sticks to 2d mostly becouse uoa (no more needed, never needed for me), ua automap (have u seen ever the nice KR

map?), more efficient-fast-stable (whaaat? 2D? must be yours, mine not), and the most important reason: EasyUO and scripting,

nobody said it so i say, yes, it makes a diference, specially for very complicated craft, train or gather macros, but when most people

jump ahead and forget old clients, they will upgrade their 3rd p. programs also (not mentioning some are illegal).

Well, going to the subject of all this post:
Maybe i eat my words a month later, after trying more and more the new sa client, but i doubt, first impresions:
After seeing the new client, one word defines: disappointment. This is a shame!! not we have a decent or even little better graphics,

NO!, we have now worse graphics that in KR, i saw my house and almost cry, another step back, now to the **** art of 2D!! KR graphics

are not marvelous, but decent!! And even more, a friend is trying this client too, and says this also crashes. Olé!! And they strykes back

with the old crafting gump, removing the nice features like make 'x' items or make until faillure, and what's next? sure when i continue

trying i will find a lot more.

2D client had poor graphics even in 2000 year, good graphics for a commodore 64k or spectrum!!! yes yes!!!, in 2009 this is

incomprehensible, no new players can see that client and not leave, normal, and some old players are beginning to feel so. Maybe in

2050 we can have a decent client? for armstrad?
Some "ea person" said 2d art is in the spirit of UO, bah!!, what a nonsense, the spirit of UO is in the players, the world, the rules, the

system, all except the f**** stoneage graphics!!

I think we can say without fear of error that we have the worst graphics and engine of all players in the whole world, even free games

are much more nice!!!

What's the problem with EA? crisys?? last faillures?? make happy the most reticent 2d-sticked players?? They have a lonely person

working day and night or what?, they have a lot of games in market, all of good quality (at least graphical), tyger woods, dragon age,

need for speed, fifa 10... long long list, sure with 50 people working on each project, and they are not capable to make a decent client

for us? I think we are enough people, we pay monthly, can not give this crap to us... for that, i prefer to continue with KR.

have you seen Dragon Age? (i said it's from EA?) Check this gameplay video!
look and imagine a uo combat with a engine like that and 'on the shoulder' camera view and true special moves:
http://www.es.ea.com/mediazone/screenshots/screenshots/movies/17284/7489/

¿frooling?
or like somebody said, why dont let Bioware or Oblivion (Bethesda) people make the work? (even Origin back again could make it

better), do you imagine the marvelous (or half, or quarter...) quality of Oblivion engine with UO world and rules? a dream...

Aaaah, had to say.
Wonder if their final release of SA client will be much better than beta... ¬¬

Regards.