• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The Babble Thread #1!!!

T

Terence Duff

Inspired by <font color="red">G.v.P</font>, and created by yours truly, it's: THE BABBLE THREAD!!

Talk about anything you like in this thread, switchup the topic as often as you want and if it gets too big or you want a separate thread to babble in, PM me and I'll get us Chesapeakians setup!

To get things started, here are a few ideas and topics for babbling about:
<ul> [*]Random things you want to post about/vent/discuss because of something in game [*]Riddles &amp; Games (i.e. reply to last thread word association, etc) [*]OT topics, pictures, humor, comedy and/or RL topics [*]etc! [/list]Hopefully G.v.P can explain what he had in mind for this thread better and get things officially kicked off.

Happy babbling!

G

ROFLMAO well first off I'd like to thank the Academy...

I am truly honored to have my name in red, thank you =)

There are, of course, several people who are known babblers here on Chesapeake. Some of them are quite naturals and need no direction. But a simple crash course in babble aerodynamics would be:

Respond to the last post with whatever seems appropriate while still managing to stick to the RoC!!

=)

That is the best I can say for now! I must go...

*poof*

G

A babble thread with no babble ? BLASPHEMY !!

Well, my beloved Tigers took the dirt nap to Baylor today in the
College World Series. Congrats to the Bears. No more college sports
till kick off in September

I

imported_fyr

So who is gonna see the Stones while they are on tour? I am :) I cried when I read Pink Floyd was getting back together, but probably just for one concert in London, too far for me.. But it is a good cause, poverty in Africa....

G

Babbling doesnt always have to be two-liners or just silly stuff. I recently finished reading Moby **** and thought I would mention ambergris and giant squid. Ambergris is a waxy substance sometimes found on beaches. It is produced in the stomach and intestines of the sperm whale as a protection against the sharp edges of squid beaks. Squid are the favorite food of the sperm whale, but they cannont digest the beaks, hence the whale's secretion of ambergris which slowly builds up around the surface of the squid beaks to keep them from ripping up the digestive tracks of sperm whales. Ambergris is a rare substance but highly valued due to it's use as a fixative in perfumes. Although artificial compounds have been created in the past century to replace ambergris, real sperm whale ambergris is still a highly valued commodity. In addition, with most all countries outlawing whaling, real ambergris is even rarer than before. It is possible to sometimes find ambergris washed up on beaches. If you find some, contact an ambergris broker as it can be worth hundreds of dollars per ounce. As a sidenote, it is due to exceptionally large beaks found in the stomachs of sperm whales that the existence of giant squid was postulated scientifically. Formerly just a mariner's myth/superstition, the discovery of giant beaks was extrapolated to indicate the presence of squid of massive sizes unknown to science. About 10 years ago, deep sea research finally located giant squid living at enormous depths. The reason why they are not usually seen by humans is due to the fact that their blood hemoglobin will not transport oxygen above a very low temperature. Because of this, giant squid only live in extreme depths. If they came to the surface where the water is warmer, they would literally suffocate because they cannot fix oxygen in their blood. Due to these scientific discoveries, old mariner's tales of giant squid attacking ships are no longer being discounted entirely out of hand. Prior to the filming of living giant squid, other circumstantial evidence included large sucker marks and beak bites on the skin of sperm whales. While a giant squid carcass was found on a beach a few years ago(search google and you will find the pics) had a potential length of 40 feet(some of the tentacle were missing), some scientists think giant squid over 100 or more feet may yet still prowl the deep undiscovered.

A

Arynia

I didn't know what to babble about but i wanted to be on this thread. Woot :)

G

Hey GvP just told me this thread was here!

Ok replying to Tanc because it made me think of a special we watched on the giant squid about 3 years (bit more?) ago. They were trying to find baby giants only the babies are sooooo tiny they are practically impossible to find. They looked for weeks and on the last day they finally found two that they were pretty sure were the real thing. Guess there is another squid that looks awful similar as a baby. So they had the babies in these huge incredibly expensive tanks on this ship designed to find them and were trying to get them back to a lab and they both died on the way. Tons of money down the drain and no baby squids. Some things are best left to the mysteries of nature I guess. Anyway, my husband named his UO char after them although I think he might have misspelled it. Narco Toothis the treasure hunter.

G

Loch Ness monster has been pretty much shelved beyond the realm of possibility by academia. Bigfoot/Saquatch is also close to being deemed impossible, but theres still realistic room for it to exist. Anyone believe or claim to have seen one? Personally, I'll believe in UFO's before Bigfoot...

G

I've never seen a bigfoot so I don't know if they exist or not. I still have
to believe that it is possible because too many people with nothing to
gain have claimed to have encountered them. I really don't see a reason
for Joe Blow to make something like that up. It is however hard to explain
the lack of physical evidence.

UFO's ? It's a big universe out there and I'm pretty sure that there are
beings far smarter than us.

G

Ever read about feral (ferral... ferrel... crap I can't spell for beans) children? They had suggested on one site that perhaps many of the bigfoot/chupacabra stories might actually be run ins with children who were raised by animals. The children would of course be hairy, naked, scarred and walk in an odd manner, a mix of their nature vs thier upbringing and all around behave a great deal like the creatures of these stories.

F

Fist and antilus

Did you get all that out of Moby ****? I'm asking O.S.U. for a refund on my English degree. All I got out of it was some guy chasing a whale!

Very intersting stuff, Ishmae....I mean Tancred.

G

I've never read anything on that, but I have seen The Jungle Book several times. From the descriptions of Bigfoot, if they are humans raised in the wild, teach them to speak and draft them into the NFL. 9 feet tall, 600 lbs. , stink to high heaven. Now that's an "Offensive" line.

<center>Now I'm the king of the swingers
Oh, the jungle VIP
I've reached the top and had to stop
And that's what botherin' me
I wanna be a man, mancub
And stroll right into town
And be just like the other men
I'm tired of monkeyin' around!</center>

F

Fist and antilus

LOL. Send them to Cleveland. The Brownies need all the help they can get!

G

I love Will Ferrel! I didn't know there were different kinds of kids. Do we have to collect them all? I'm still trying to collect Tribal Masks. Hell, I have the full set. Anyone still have Tribal Mask set? How much would it sell for? Do I hear 5G? lol. Tancred you're a blabber star from a cold Alaskan bar. I wish I may, I wish I might, get some needed sleep tonight. Bonami taught me stuff today like the letter ß. Anyone see the new Willy Wonka commercial? Depp is hot, but this movie looks silly. *You lose! You stole fizzy...izzy...ZiZ..zy...zzZzzZzz...

G

*Someone* didn't get any sleep today and sounds like a two year old on red Koolaid.

G

True, how true. The Browns are my AFC team. I like to pick them cursed
Hence my undying love for the ViQueens.

"I'm a soldier Mother$%#^ !!"

G

There is a part in Moby **** where the Pequod steals a rotting whale corpse from some French whalers, not for the oil, but for the ambergris. This piqued my interest in the topic so I did more research on my own. As for the giant squid, I read an article about it in National Geographic some years ago and then followed up on it some more when I had to do a presentation in college for it. Since then it is a topic that perks up my ears whenever I hear mention of it.

Next week's Tancred Babble Topic to cover either Prester John or the Nestorians or maybe Asian anchor stones off the coast of S. America.

F

Fist and antilus

Oooooo. I have one! Have you ever heard of the Blue People of the Appalachians? I didn't believe it until I saw pictures for myself of the Fugate clan of the Appalachian mountains.

Apparently, the disease, Methemoglobinemia, is genetically inherited and causes an enzyme deficiency that results in cyanosis, "a bluish color to the skin."

Over the course of time, due to isolation, several of the Fugates intermarried. This caused the normally recessive disease to occur with greater frequency.

&lt;Insert your Smurf jokes here&gt;

G

Every person that I have talked to has told me that Moby **** was awful, as is this sentence.

However, I prefer sharks =). You do know that UO used to have whales, according to stratics that is? It would be cool to feel a shark. They have skin that feels like sandpaper because it is made of thousands of tiny teeth-like edges. Speaking of teeth, Shark teeth rotate like an assembly line, so when a tooth gets knocked out another one rotates in place. This allows them to eat dying whale flesh without being worried about their next trip to the dentist ;).

I like [/i]Sherman's Lagoon[/i]. It is a comic about sharks.

The Baltimore Aquarium is awesome for shark lovers. Virginia is for lovers in general. No sharks here though, except the Shark Club, but I think that was replaced.

The Baltimore Aquarium has mostly tiger sharks, because they survive in captivity the best of all sharks. Nurse sharks also can survive in captivity fairly well, and some fish/pet stores sell them. Nurse sharks are bottom dwelling sharks while tiger sharks are named for their skin variations and aggresive behavior, although not nearly as aggresive as bull sharks, which are considered to be the most dangerous of all sharks and swim in both salt water and fresh water areas. There have been reported bull sharks in rivers near Africa as well as in the US.

Sharks with lasers on their head is an ok idea, I guess.

A lot of people make a big deal about the Ramones, but I think they would have been cooler if they were named the Remoras.

The goblin shark is one freaky looking fishy.

Most sharks are no bigger than the size of your outstretched hand, although the rest think your outstretched hand is dinner if you wave it under water.

Shark fin soup is a delicacy in the UK and in Asia, and scientists believe that, if studied, sharks might lead us in finding a cure for cancer, because sharks do not get cancer.

G

I border on phobic of fish (and all other no legged critters). Let's talk about something fluffy with four legs instead.

G

As long as it doesn't look like fish (Long John Silver's) or its not fin fish. I LOOOOOOOVE shell fish.

I once got served a whole fish when I was staying with my exchange family in Spain and started getting panicky and sobbing and couldn't pull up the words to explain what was wrong. Fortunately my exchange sister having spent a year with me already knew and grabbed it real fast, cut off the head and tail and pulled off the skin and all and gave it back not looking like it was looking back at me.

Horsies!!! I love horses.

G

You are so graphically descriptive!!

I love it.

Horsies, are pretty. When I started UO, I used to name my horsies. White Lightning, the white horse model, Muddy, the brown horse model. Horses used to cost 800-1200 GP, and when I died, I was only upset if I lost my horse.

Then I got ethies. And they wind-up. :(.

I have named my pets on my tamer to compensate. I name all of my pets on my tamer after songs, so if you see a pet named after a song or an albulm, perhaps it is mine.

I must take leave for a brief span of time!!!

*poof*

G

<center>"On Horseback" - Mike Oldfield

I like beer, and I like cheese
I like the smell of a westerly breeze
But what I like more than all of these
Is to be on horseback.

[ chorus ]

Hey and away we go
Through the grass, across the snow
Big brown beastie, big brown face
I’d rather be with you than flying through space.

I like thunder, and I like rain
And open fires, and roaring flames.
But if the thunder’s in my brain,
I’d like to be on horseback.

Some like the city, some the noise
Some make chaos, and others, toys.
But if I was to have the choice,
I’d rather be on horseback.

[ repeat chorus ]

Some find it strange to be here,
On this small planet, and who knows where.
But when it’s strange and full of fear,
It’s nice to be on horseback.

Some are short, and others tall,
Some hit their heads against the wall.
But it doesn’t really matter at all,
When you happen to be on horseback.

[ repeat chorus ]

So if you you feel a little glum,
To Hergest Ridge you should come.
In summer, winter, rain or sun,
It’s good to be on horseback.
Hmph!
</center>

G

I love the show that used to air on the BBC as a comedy called "Father Ted." This song was on an episode where they decided to enter a song writing contest. It's so awful it's great.

My Lovely Horse

G

LOL, that is great !!! Guess what tune I'm going to torture the kids with all weekend

G

Well I'm days behind on babbling, due to being on vacation, and even though I see youve all moved on in topics, I'm still gonna comment on old ones. :p

Fyr, I'm curious what kind of venues the Stones will be in this time around. I saw them in '81 and i think '89, but it was then at a NFL dome, and the huge stadium lessened the experience for me. '81 was their Emotional Rescue tour, which I really didnt like as an album (yes, album!), but their older stuff still sounded great. In '89 I was impressed with their sound and continued ...hmm..vigor. I mean how old are they and still shakin it down. I did think their vocals had suffered that time however, which would be natural I guess. Would enjoy reading your impressions after you go.

Tancred, I cant believe you enjoyed that book! Maybe I should try it again since its been a couple years (or maybe decades :p ) since I've tried to read it, but I never did finish it. I have to confess my eyes glazed over before I even read your whole post about it. *stares out the window*

I

imported_fyr

I'll be seeing the Stones in Scott Stadium in Charlottesville, VA looks like they are doing a fair number of big venues but they chose Charlottesville as a relatively small town compared to other places they were playing. The Stones said they were interested to see Charlottesville, that it would be different.

I really liked Bridges to Babylon as one of the later Stones CD's. One of the songs, Already Over Me is pure poetry:

In the first flush of ecstacy
As you lay naked next to me
While our love put the dawn to flight
I just ignored all those warning lights

Cause when you laugh
I just cry
When you left
I just died

Are you already over me
Are you already over me
Are you already sick of me
What a fool I've been

Hard to hold on
To a love divine
I'm kneeling in a corner
Praying to your shrine

There's more but that was my favorite part.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Fyr, I'm curious what kind of venues the Stones will be in this time around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking maybe the Yew Crypt or maybe the Necropolis in T2A =)

OMG btw, archers. I hate them. They are so and forever too strong but... omg wow is all I'm saying. Hey look, a paragon raven!!

*,-p

er or is that a paragon squirrel i dunno

{(°.)&gt; \/ &lt;(.°)}

(caw?)

*shrugs*

5:18 so that means sleepy time.

Everyone wants to be an elven rockstar, strumming on a bow guitar and shooting from afar.

I

Innocent One

This is a babble thread but its become a rather educational babble thread for me. I had to read Moby **** in my Senior year of high school but I remember I was doing a report on Jimmy Hendricks in another class and I guess I just retained enough of Moby to get by and made an A on the Hendricks report.
I seen that show about the gaint squid and the show about the wild kids raised by dogs etc. lots of shows on UFO's oh and shows about ghosts/hauntings. Cant say I have ever seen a UFO or a ghost but it is possible they are real. I guess its kind of like talking about religion....you will get so many different views about weather or not this and why that. Scientific reasoning always makes you wonder but they always try to discredit everything.
Anyway, I felt like babbling this morning and Happy First Day of Summer everyone!

G

Looooooong story about ghosts but this is a babble thread.

I never really believed in ghosts until we got one in a house we lived in before we moved here. My son kept talking about a boy named Nathan and kept telling me that it wasn't his bedroom, it was Nathan's. He had just turned three. His bedroom was the creepiest place sometimes and you'd turn around expecting to see someone there but never see him. Cindy came up once to me and said that someone had told her to quit being mean to her brother. She was crying and I asked her who and she said she couldn't see the person.

I was talking to my adjacent neighbor and she said that her house had the same creepy feelings in the same spots of her house. Our townhouses were mirror images of each other. Then she said that her two year old son had told her several times that he had been playing with a boy named Nathan when he had not been with other children in a day.

Nathan was terribly interested in my son's room and with the cabinet under my sink. He was also concerned with something beside my bed. I'd look up to see towels swaying or knocked off the bar or the cabinet opened. One night as I laid in bed reading, the nightstand beside my bed was knocked so hard that the glass of water on it splashed over me. There was no one else in the room as my husband was deployed and both children were asleep. The nightstand was not touching the bed so even if I had wiggled a bit (which I hadn't) it couldn't have knocked the glass off. There were no air vents to explain it. I tried to come up with a zillion excuses but wasn't very good at it.

Nathan was mischievious but not mean. I saw Fraser get pushed from behind once but it was more like a little boy running past. I started seeing the patterns and had determined that he was about eight years old. Once again I was laying in my room reading and out of the corner of my eye I saw one of my kids duck down beside my bed and went back to my reading. Then I realized, my kids had dishwater blond hair and this child had very pale. I pulled the covers over my head and shivered for a good long while!

I can't say I overly welcomed the child but I didn't feel like arguing with his being there either. He seemed to enjoy my presense and I didn't want to get into something I didn't comprehend. Still, you have no idea how scared I got the day I yelled over my shoulder, "HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD YOU KIDS NOT TO JUMP ON THE COUCH?" only to realize that neither of mine were on it but the picture frame on the shelf above was vibrating. Well, he stopped anyway.

On Thanksgiving Day I was bringing the turkey from the kitchen to the dining room and the oddest thing happened. The activity had calmed down a great deal in recent weeks after a significant burst which even my husband returned from tdy couldn't deny. Sparkles appeared around my shoulders and then rose. It shook me up a bit but we had supper without any odd behavior. Over the next two months we realized that it had completely ceased. Our house was as "uncreepy" as could be and I wondered where Nathan had gone.

My family has always accused me of having an over active imagination. Mom, Dad and my youngest sister had come to visit after New Years and I told them the story of Nathan. I could see that look on my sister's face like I had lost my marbles but what the heck... It was a true story.

Our base had taken about 20 of the family units and turned them into very nice hotel accomidations if you can call a three bedroom suite "hotel." I had put my family up in one of these homes a few blocks from us. The next morning they appeared somewhat bleary eyed and uncomfortable - even my dad. "We know what happened to Nathan," my mom told me. "He's at our unit." A child had been running up and down the stairs during the night and playing in the kitchen cabinets. They had told each other that someone with kids must have been in another unit, but when they checked the next day they found out both had been empty the whole night. I just laughed and told her that No, Nathan was gone.

That night, they once again left (reluctantly) to go back to their unit. When they appeared the next morning my mom was more shaken than I have ever seen her in my life. Once again, they had been awoken through the night by a child playing in the house but tried to get some sleep. As they were carrying out their suitcases, Mom noticed something odd on the sidewalk and turned her head first one way then the other. The name Nathan had been written in the sidewalk alongside a girl's name. I went over that afternoon to take a look for myself. It was there all right. Written all in caps with something like a stick when the cement had been wet. Mom swore it wasn't there the first night.

Couple years later and both my parents still talk about that visit whenever I see them. They've both asked if Nathan followed us to Germany and I keep telling them that he had said goodbye to me and my family that Thanksgiving.

I

Innocent One

Ok...I am feeling creepy now!
I really dont know how I would feel if I were to see a ghost or if I were being haunted. My mother passed away back in 98 and I told her (she had cancer and we all knew she was going to pass) if their was a way to reach me or give me some kind of sign to please do it. Nothing! Well some people believe that I have been given signs that she is around but I dont seem to notice them. Believe me, my mother would have made sure I noticed. I'm a "need proof" kind of gal. If I lived in a home that I felt was haunted umm I am not sure I could stay there. My girls say they hear footsteps and voices in their room at night when all is quite...I say the house next door plays their music to loud.

Bonami your story gave me goosebumps so I read it twice. LOL
Anybody else have a ghost story to tell?

G

<font color=2F4F4F>
Pretty Girls Make Graves
Ghosts in the Radio

It's ah -- ah ha ha on,
And the ghosts in the radio are signing along,
And they go:
Oh oh oh ohhh!

No stars out, just the city light,
Well nothing feels as good as the night,
Can you heard them go:
Oh oh oh ohhh!

Ghosts are in the radio,
They,
Sing along, they sing along,
Yeah

This city is quiet, it feels like we own it...
But nothing really lasts forever,
And we know it

It had started to rain, but we didn't care,
Every word that was spoken held onto the air
Like a ghost and floated towards the sky...

I pulled my jacket tight,
And the city lit up the night
With the green glow, of the Camlin, Hoootel

Ghosts are in the radio,
They,
Yeah

Ghosts are in the radio,
They,
Yeah

It's ah -- ah ha ha on,
And the ghosts in the radio are signing along,
And they go:
Oh oh oh ohhh!

No stars out, just the city light,
Well nothing feels as good as the night,
Can you heard them go:
Oh oh oh ohhh!

Ghosts are in the radio,
They,
Yeah

Ghosts are in the radio,
They,
Yeah

</font color=2F4F4F>

G

I can't directly comment on this, but I will say that the Spurs won the NBA Championship =).

Also, I love the above song!

G

Well, I don't know any ghost stories...

<font color=2F4F4F>
Rage Against The Machine
The Ghost of Tom Joad

Man walks along the railroad track
He's goin' some place, and there's no turnin' back
The highway patrol choppers comin' up, over the ridge
Man sleeps by a campfire under the bridge

With shelter lines stretchin' around the corner
Welcome to the new world order
Families sleepin' in their cars out in the southwest
No job, no home, no peace, no rest

NO REST!!!

The highway is alive tonight...
Nobody's foolin' nobody as to where it goes
I'm sitting down here in the campfire light...
Searchin' for the ghost of Tom Joad

He pulls his prayer book, out of his sleepin' bag
The preacher, lights up a butt and takes a drag

He's waitin' for the time when the last shall be first and the first shall be last
In a cardboard box 'neath the underpass

With a one way ticket to the promised land
With a, hole in your belly and a, gun in your hand

Sleeping on a pillow of, solid rock
Bathing in the city's aqueduct
RAHH !

The highway is alive tonight...
Nobody's foolin nobody as to where it goes
I'm sittin' down here in the campfire light...
With the ghost of old Tom Joad

Now Tom Said,
"Ma,

Wherever you've seen a cop beatin' a guy
Wherever a, hungry new born baby cries
Wherever there's a fight against the blood and hatred in the air

Look for me ma,
I'll be there

Wherever somebody is struggling for a place to stand
For decent job or a helpin' hand

Wherever, somebody's strugglin,' to be free
Look in their eyes,
Ma,
You'll see me,
You'll see me,
You'll see me,
You'll see me,
You'll see me!
You'll see me!
You'll see me!
You'll see me!
You'll see me!

RAHH !

Ohh...

Uh, uh... uh...

The highway is alive tonight
Nobody's foolin nobody as to where it goes
I'm sitting down here in the campfire light...

With the ghost of Tom Joad.
</font color=2F4F4F>

I

Innocent One

If there's something strange in your neighborhood
Who you gonna call?
Ghostbusters!
If there's something weird and it don't look good
Who you gonna call?
Ghostbusters!

I ain't afraid of no ghost

If you're seeing things running through your head
Who can you call?
Ghostbusters!
An invisible man sleeping in your bed
Oh, who you gonna call?
Ghostbusters!

Who you gonna call?
Ghostbusters!
If you're all alone, pick up the phone
And call
Ghostbusters!

I hear it likes the girls
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Who you gonna call?
Ghostbusters!
If you've had a dose of a freaky ghost
You'd better call
Ghostbusters!

Let me tell you something
Bustin' makes me feel good

Don't get caught alone, oh no
Ghostbusters!
When it comes through your door
Unless you just want some more
I think you better call
Ghostbusters!
Ow!

Who you gonna call
Ghostbusters!

I couldnt help myself!

G

hahahahahahahahaha

When I was a kid they used to play that at the skating rink and use the strobe light. I thought it was just about the coolest thing ever.

G

Speaking of strobe lights, the 4th of July here in the states ;P is gonna kick off soon. I've been thinking of some kinda monochrome sig to combat color. I watched a film called Prey for Rock and Roll tonight -- this morning. I operate on a 12-5, the day starts at 5. One theory I was given, by a friend, she said 5:30. The latest I'd accept would be 5:20, but honestly it's 5 folks.

I also wanted to change my sig sig. I'm going to quick poll ya'll. What do you think of my sig? Sometimes, I wanted to make it solid and not have those things. Hit me.

I

Innocent One

This coming from someone who doesnt even have a sig like most, but you asked for feedback so here is mine. Your sig is rather simple...not to flashy....red and black are safe colours to go with and always look good together. I do think the person you have on their before [SHE] looks like a witch. LOL Think its the hat.
All in all I dont think its a bad sig!

G

yeah not sure... witch is lyc in uo3d =) doing one of the "Dances" where it is basically sort of a rapper kind of stance, so i thought it was funny. but then i sort of washed it out with red so it came out odd. hmm.

ive been thinking about making a new one with more or a different char though, especially since my username is my paladin G.v.P. But I will have to play around =). i'll have to send you guys some links when i do though, because there is some software that is awesome for flash movies/sigs whatever =). I used to use insideuo alone, but that is hard because you still have to edit the files.

i like it simple looking though :), and the red/black look is also the guildsite/ colors for the most part. hmm.

tostitos are good. thanks Bonami for reminding me =).

I

Innocent One

This forum has been dead (no pun attended) lately.

Everyone must be on vacation. I wont be taking a vacation this year. The Man with the money says no money to go this year. He says "We live on the lake, go out there and sit on our dock and I will throw some sand around ya and you can pretend." Funny thing is...he had the money to put a totally new flowmaster exhaust system on his little baby that sits in the garage more then she sees the road. Whewwwww what am I doing! I am ranting in a babble thread.

Anyone else not going on vacation this year and if you are, where exciting are you going?

G

I had dreams of going to Spain and staying with my exchange family from ten years ago this August. Uncle Sam had other ideas. My husband got a two week TDY. Now don't go feeling sorry for him. "Poor" guy has to go to Port Hueneme for training with a bunch of his friends from his shop. I LOVE Port Hueneme and am soooooo jealous!

Guess I can't fuss too much though, I got to go to Michigan last month to see my youngest sister's high school graduation. My mother and I took her to her first day of kindergarten as a freshman in college myself and I lent a hand as a "room mother" here and there, and so I had to be there to see her all grown up. My hubby took leave and played Mr Mom so that I could go all by myself and get a real break. She had no idea I was coming and nearly died of shock when she saw me. My sisters and I had a grand time staying up to all hours chatting and eating junk food and getting into all sorts of minor trouble.

I

Innocent One

My Ex is now married to a woman who was born and raised in Spain. Our 9 year old daughter went with them to Spain for 2 week back a couple months ago. I thought I would lose my mind the whole time she was gone but thats another story altogether. (for my shrink)

My Ex's new wife's father is a gold smith and made some beautiful things for my daughter to bring home with her. She said "Spain was the most prettiest place I have ever seen." She still talks about it. I can see why you would want to go back Bonami.

I

imported_Xotche of Meade

Gosh, now I don't feel so bad about not going anywhere for vacation this summer! Seems this year my home needed some revamping and with it my extra fundage for travel. Being a total bum for 5 weeks does feel good and I hope to travel around locally to the lakes.

Only thing 'planned', is a Chessy round up of folks going to the Gen Con in Indianapolis this August 19-22nd. Should be interesting since it's my first ever geek convention, will be nice to mingle among my own....lol.

You two chatting away about Spain makes me think seriously again about traveling through Europe or the Mediterranean this winter. Pretty sure I am going as a Thanksgiving/xmas gift to me.

Am I the only one who hates dinner gatherings during the holidays?

G

I don't mind the dinner gatherings during the holidays as long as we are hosting them. That way I can run off to some part of my house for
a few moments of peace. I guess what I like best about them is they make Mrs. Ommie very happy. She has eight siblings and anytime
we gather them all together she has a perma smile on her face.

We usually host at least two of the holidays during the year. Last Thanksgiving we had 47 people show up. TOTAL CHAOS !!.
But they all like to party so we usually have a great time.

G

Spain would be lovely as a late fall/early winter gift to yourself. Don't recommend coming much further up if you are hoping to get away from Michigan yucky weather, though. It gets about as ugly here as early as it does there. I swore when I left Michigan I'd never live in a cold place again... Never say never!

I

imported_fyr

I would much rather spend my money on my lady than on my car :)