• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The ARCHERY thread

G

That's actually a very good idea. It would certainly encourage journey to spots not normally visited. Unfortunately, my crafter would only be able to visit two (or four) since that account does not have LBR or AoS. But then, that's my problem and shouldn't stop a good idea.

Darkholme

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just thought of something though... that would kinda screw up the double resources in Felucca for wood. To make it work then you could do the following... Wood types are 1-4, 1 being the least powerful type, akin to DC ore or Spined Leather.

Wood Type 1 - Trammel Old Lands
Wood Type 2 - Malas
Wood Type 3 - T2A Trammel
Wood Type 4 - Ilshenar
Double Wood Type 1 - Felucca Old Lands
Double Wood Type 2 - T2A Felucca

There would be no double resources for the more "powerful" wood... something like that. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

D

Delemar

Wood Type 1 - Trammel Old Lands
Wood Type 2 - Malas
Wood Type 3 - T2A Trammel
Wood Type 4 - Ilshenar
Double Wood Type 1 - Felucca Old Lands
Double Wood Type 2 - T2A Felucca

expanding on a good idea:
trammel = normal woods we have now (it is the most populated server of them all not really risky adventuring and we should promote adventuring for your rewards)

trammel lost lands = not really much goiong on here so a little better reward still has no pvp so not a high risk area. but wood should be a higher standard then "normal wood"

malas = not much for creatures here but again no pvp mostly homes wondering creatures here are a few but when you see them they are much stronger then your wondering rabbot or deer. should be a better wood then found in trammel lost lands but at a higher fail rate to compensate

ish = middle land here some action is going on but normaly dead

fel = here pvp is no consentual and you could be murdered. thus making it a real adventure to risk a possible murder or thief making profit on your loss. but doe to the fact that fel is the least populated of all facets i would sugest not the rarest wood to be found here.

fel lost lands = here is where the action is! multiple champ spawns tougher creatures just wondering around and the best chance you will see a murderer. this is where the rarest wood (and hardest to harvest)

NOW here is a side idea that maybe a little better but an offspin of the original idea:

why not spawn "veins" of special wood like you currently have for mining? just because your choping 1 tree graphic (say oak for example) dosent mean you have to get that specific wood type. you are harvesting all wood from that area (rember you dont chop "down" tress in uo you harvest what you can from the area) anyway this would save all players since not all can go to all facets (some cant go to malas or to ish)
what you can do from there is recode the "item identification" skill so when targeted a tree if you are sucsessfull a message will tell you what type of wood can be harvested. (and could be done as well with mining) just an idea to suport other skills.

ass for expanding on the "quiver" idea i agree 100% it should go on your papperdoll as a sash (if choosen some palyers may not want to ware it) since you can ware a sash without taking an armor slot i dont see this as a probelm (then again im no programmer). it would add to roleplay element, it would have a practicle use, and it enhances archery (a broken skill).

the only thing i seen was somone sugested it as a tailoring craftable. i just thought it may be better adding it to fletching since it is archery related (unless you want to make it a duel skill craftable (like house addons and such) say 90 fletching 80 tailoring? same with archery butts 90 fletching 70 carpentry? i know other skills want enchantments but this thread was to help promot archery and/or fletching?

C

capgman

Another potential resource for enhancing could be the gems currently spawning within the game. Players would have a cost associated to the risk by the value of the gems they would be risking to enhance the bows. How many peeps currently collect the gems from monster loot? Maybe it takes 10 gems per attempt so things dont get too easy or cheap.

K

Krenom

personally, i think we should just stop talking about shoving gems and such in our weps! i mean lets face it, it ain't gonna happen in a hurry! (sure, i'd like it to, that'd be kewl! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif)

as for the 'trees giving deff woods being impossible', thats a load of *explicit*!

just about anything is possible in programming! :p

if anyone's played the crappy uo knock-off 'runescape' then u'd know that they already have diff types of wood chopable to make diff bows! (i used to play it as a substitute be4 i got uo! :p)

so thats ur basic proof that it isn't impossible! :p

the only reason i can think that they say its' 'impossible' to do is because its just a pancake to do!

tho in theory, its not that much, just changing one ickle bit like a type of wood you get when u hack at a tree isn't really that much! it is seriously easy, especially for ppl that can produce a game such as uo with all the other things that happen!

(or if they don't wanna write out all the code, as i suggested be4: *copeh and paste!!!*, then its a case of change 'mountain side' to 'tree' and 'ore type' to 'wood type'! and ur sorted! :p)

D

Delemar

the only problem with gems is where they come from. as it is now miners harvest ore from mountain sides. they type of ore they collect is dependant on skill. right now the only place to get gems is from jewlers in game (npc's) or monsters how does this make certain gems more valuable then others? there has to be a dificulty scale to make certain ones more valuable/add stronger enchantments. adding special woods would be the logical path to go allowing lumberjacks to harvest more valuable materials based on there skill rating.

S

Suby Indraha

Well the colored wood will help with carpentry bods in the future.

Bowcrafting/fletching rewards:

Bowcrafting Ps: rare as a smithy Ps.
Pile of arrows facing east/south
Archery butte facing east/south
Quiver (can be insured) that holds a max of 1k arrows or bolts
Refined lumber (similar to power temp)
Runic fletching tools

4 types of wood. 5 types of bows. normal and exceptional. Should work pretty well.

G

if they take the bulk of the tree variety in the forests, there would actually be 8 types of wood... which would be even better for a potential bod system.... perhaps they could add some more bow types as well... say something like an elvish bow... other suggestions like a short bow, or an assassins bow...

-another possible reward for bowyer bods:

varnish of temperament... along the lines of the powder of temperament for smiths.. apply the varnish to bows to boost the durability...

G

I didn't had time to read the whole post, so i don't know if someone mentioned it already. But before all enhancements for the archer, i would like the archer client crash bug fixed.

K

Krenom

rofl, yes, its been mentioned... over and over again... nothing else should be done to archery UNTIL the crashing is fixed!!!!!

C

capgman

The game itself already hs placed value on the different gem types. Diamonds can be sold for 100 gp where as others sell for as low as 25 gp. At 100 a pop that could get expensive for the average player. (Of course I am excluding the mega bucks folks who hang at Brit Bank, they have their own definition of what is expensive) I kind of like the idea of not having a set farming system for the gems. If you want gems go out and play the game, loot a few monsters, dig up a chest or two. If it takes a week to scrounge up the gems you need for a shot at enhancment then your efforts will be appreciated more when you succeed. BUT by all means "kneels in prayer" don't make it a system where 3 accounts of all fletchers is the only feesible way to enjoy the upgrade. I hear many good comments on the BOD systems but I shudder to think that a bowyer PS will some day be 1.5 million just to smell the paper it is printed on (just a 110 of course). Make the gains slow, make the resources scarce but PLEASE at least let me kid myself into thinking someday I will hold the title Ledgendary Bowyer.

As a closing comment the concept of a quiver that I can insure is very appealing. It is rather sad when you go to Doom and after a single kill find yourself with no ammunition. Kind of puts a damper on being adventurous.

O

Olias Strongbow

FIX THE CLIENT CRASH BUG!! I have been told time and time again when i complained about this that i need to close down all other programs, and other BS solutions to the archery crash bug. They always tried to make it seem like it is somehow my fault for the crashes. How about getting to the root of this problem instead of pushing off the reasons onto us and making us somehow responsible for the crashes. I could go on about the rest, moving shot. runics .etc, but to me client crash bug should be number one to get fixed and the stupid stand there and watch ur arrow adn dont moive till it hits crap.

K

Kharn

The crash bug is a client error, nothing more, nothing less. OSI needs to admit that they fudged the client with the last patch to it (I'm assuming it was the last patch that did it since I seem to be crashing at least 10 times more since that patch), and just fix it.

K

Krenom

yeah yeah yeah.. client bug needs fixing, we know, we all want it.....

and apparently no, its no ones fault (cept the programmers! :p)

it crashes when u have an arrow in the air.. some monster has some magic in teh air (ie, drag breath) and u then try moving! :S

(i think thats who how what when where and why it crashes anyway)

T

the REAL dupre

What really annoys me is that archery is now the only fighting skill that you MUST have resources to actually fight, we get to stand still while we hit, then do less damage over time because melee'r weaps are faster generally for the same base damage.

Look at mages, Explo and run. Youll hit target 100% of the time, and can be invis before it hits, also with FC/FCR and mana regen/focus you can spit out fireballs without using any mana all day! and not use any reagents.

Melee, ok they still have to repair, and a little more often than archers, but still, you can melee/parry more or less anything, and gaurantee your hits if on target, will hit. AND have access to runic weapons.

Tamers, ok, some vet pets, but dont archers also have to heal themselves, at 10 seconds per attempt, as apposed to 2!
OR you get the mage tamer with LRC who uses no resources to do it.

Archery, slow weapons, no runic ability, we basically need a static target that doesnt have all that many HP, cant hit us hard because we cant parry and we cant take the same luck as a tamer, because we may need to resist some magic, and can only have 1 hand worth of luck either way, and we cant enhance bows with luck.

F

flea_of_ls

Just a mathematical note:

Lets take the speed of an arrow fired from an average compound bow say 250 feet per second. |||
Two thing jump out at me!
|||
1. Maximum shot range is ten tiles or say 100 feet maximum. That means time to impact at that range is .4 seconds. So why do i have to stand there waiting?
|||
2. It is plainly impossible to out run an arrow. 250 fps is equal to 177 miles per hour. Now i know horses are fast but come on.
|||
Regards,

Me

I

imported_Rand_Al_Thor

Hi everyone, I am 72 Plus Month Vet. Archery has always been my passion. I have been out of game for about Three months do to the fact I have been in the process of moving from Japan back to the states. But I am back in game in force now and trying to get caught up on the changes. So please don't flame me if I put something down that is incorrect. But from I have seen there have been little to no change in archery since I have been out of game.

I think that if there were some adjustment to archery it would be a useful skill in PvP without being overpowered.

1. Drop the delay timer between changing bows. Right the delay to fire after you switch bows is way to long.

2. Archers need to be able shot on the move in order to get the kill shot. If EA doesn’t want to change then poison arrows needs to be put into game.

3. Allow for enhancement of bows. Gm bows do nice damage across the board. But its almost impossible to get in a kill shot. The only way to correct this is to speed up bows slightly.

4. There should be a balance with templates. Archers should deadly against mages, Mages should be deadly against warriors, and warriors should be deadly against archers. If this balance could be achieved, then I think there would be much dept in the game. Before you flame me on this I agree that battle shouldn't be 10 seconds. Nor should it take 20 min to kill your foe.

I think with a little brain storming EA could easy achieve PvP balance where everyone can have fun. And still allow for Hybrids to be somewhat useful. Right now as it stands archers are more of a support role. I think changes need to be to allow for Hybrids to be in a support role with a distinct three class system. If hope all this makes sense.

A

Atreus UO

i agree with you on all these points. it's crazy that archery as a skill requires more (like ammo) and yields so much less than other combat skills do.

L

Lady_Ella

Here is my idea for a new ARCHERY weapon - the Hand Crossbow. This is an all metal single handed crossbow used by assassins, and the bolts can be poisoned. Since it is made for assassins the special moves are Infectious Strike and Shadow Strike. It would be a little underpowered compared to regular archery weapons due to the advantage of it being single handed. I would imagine that players would also use this as part of a luck suit, since a shield could be equipped as well.

N

Nystul Lysander

This is all good and all, but I dont think we need ANOTHER thing in uo thats facet based.
We really need a way to make things the same for all facets, more of a random, like mining.

It would be nice if those other types of woods would spawn in patches, and change bi-weekly or monthly in location, or change on server up.
Or just come up at random.
I dont know though, I just dont like how things are all being introduced ingame by available per facet.
Im not saying that one facet is getting ignored, or anything you know, but we also need to keep these resources available to most players. Because, I for one will NEVER buy another uo expansion, and I know of alot of people who havent in along time.

But reading this WHOLE thread, Ive read of some really cool things.

BTW, this is just my opinion, so lets not get pumped over it, its just my view hehe
Keep the good ideas comming, im looking forward to some more ideas, and hopefully, looking forward to seeing some of them ingame!

I

Isaac_Applebee

I have heard that SSI dosnt work on archer weapons, so is that true?

I

Interficio

MY problems with archery:

1. well, about all ARCHERY weps being 2 handed is not cool, some of the crossbows are actually one handed when in-game they are 2 handed..... makes no sense to me......

2. I think buckler shields should be able to be equipped even when using a 2 handed weapon..... even if that weapon is not a bow.......

(real bucker shields BUCKELED to your forearm..... freeing up your hand.......)

3. Archery Wepons are WAY WAY to slow.....

4. ARCHERY WEAPONS cannot be enhanced.......

5. No runic ARCHERY kits? lame lame lame.......

6. "Babysitting" your arrows until they strike the target is plain dumb. you gotta be still to shoot - I agree... but to babysit an already shot arrrow is just dumb!

7. um... it's hard to find good bows with luck....... which REALLY SUCKS

8. IF ANYTHING they need to make bows spawn with a better change to get magic properties than any other weapon types.......

it's not fair that warriors can get enhanced SHIELDS AND WEPONS and archers gotta FIND their wepons.....

The way good weapons are found is loot...... and you CANNOT enhance bows for luck so you cant find good loot with archers....... do they just WANNA screw us?

N

Nystul Lysander

Im gone just rply on your thoughts with my input, just wana get some more discussion going, as I have grown to rlly like archery lately hehe!
All bold my comments/responses

2. I think buckler shields should be able to be equipped even when using a 2 handed weapon..... even if that weapon is not a bow.......
(real bucker shields BUCKELED to your forearm..... freeing up your hand.......)
I NEVER understood this heh, I have always seen archers in books/movies that used bucklers.. and yes, movies, but its believable, common sense!

3. Archery Wepons are WAY WAY to slow.....
Yes, some are, but I feel the ability to attack from a range, the consequence should be slower attack..

4. ARCHERY WEAPONS cannot be enhanced.......
I hate this, hopefully woodworking will come, with wood types, and some changes to this..

5. No runic ARCHERY kits? lame lame lame.......
MY WISH!! hehe

6. "Babysitting" your arrows until they strike the target is plain dumb. you gotta be still to shoot - I agree... but to babysit an already shot arrrow is just dumb!
rlly, I mean its not really unbalanced, that stop for your arrow to shoot can be life and death, but its like death now waiting for it to hit lol, I could see stopping shooting, then running, but, really, why have to wait for a shot thats allready going, and the path is unchangable besides objects that gets in its way.. player movment after it leaves the bow should have no interaction as far as how the ammunition travels...

8. IF ANYTHING they need to make bows spawn with a better change to get magic properties than any other weapon types.......
nah, its frusturating, but its just theres less weapons invilved in archery, but, I like how their hard to find.. makes them worth something, and Ive noticed good bows are hot sellers.., although it gets annoying, I think runic kits or enhancing could bring some good bows in game.. but that would basically DISGRACE the frostbringer (which is a junk artifact i think

B

Big Dirty Mosh

Let me lead into my suggestions with this common problem: when it takes me 4 shots at 100 Archery, 100.0 Tactics, 100.0 Anatomy, and 80 dex - standing completely still - to hit an IMMOBILE NPC such as a corpser/reaper/etc. from 3 tiles away, it becomes evident there is something gravely, gravely wrong with the archery system.

1. Bowcraft/fletchery as a modifier for hit chance increase (+15% at 100.0 bowcraft)
2. A new one-handed archery weapon; i.e. a pistol crossbow, an arrow sling, etc. (obviously lower damage as a tradeoff).
3. Elemental arrows - the ability to "charge" an arrow with fire, cold, poison, or energy. A success to "charge" an arrow upon shooting would be dependant on magery skill, costing approximately 10 mana per elemental arrow and 95% success of at least charging at 100.0 magery. Damage could be treated like an element - say, 75% chosen element and 25% physical damage added to the normal elemental damage of the archery weapon (i.e., a bow with 50% physical and 50% energy has it's normal damage upon hitting, then an elemental shot adds some determined bonus that has it's own elemental properties).
4. Shoot at the target and hit it nearly instantly, much like a melee would (+/- 1 second) or in a real-life situation. It's ridiculous that a mage can ebolt you and know with 100% certainty as he runs away/after you that it will hit you at some point in time, yet an arrow travelling 60+ MPH takes 2-4 seconds to hit it's target 30 feet away... (you know in those action movies, a swordsman raises his sword to strike an oponent, but before he's even halfway through his swing/windup, an arrow fells him and saves the victim. This is the kind of fire-hit speed I would like to see implemented /php-bin/shared/images/icons/laugh.gif)
5. A quiver. Why in the hell isn't there a quiver for arrows/bolts yet? It should be able to be tailored at about 90.0 tailoring or something, its quality determining the number of arrows it holds able to hold about 150 arrows/bolts (one or the other). Should be able to be blessed like clothes to prevent neutralization (mages have insured 100+% reg suits, melees have insured equipment, but archers die once, get their arrows looted and tough $#!@).
6. Two words: ENHANCEMENT SYSTEM.

Ultimately, please don't nerf this template as other are currently on their way to being nerfed (or already are!), but do understand the archery skill sucks my left @$& as of right now. I don't care - pick and choose the above changes, anything at all - I need to see some change in the archery system or I will frown in an even more extreme manner every time I look at my dust-covered bows... *cries silently*

~Dave

S

Sol_Luna_Terra

I think it's pretty goofy that knowing how to chop down trees without them falling on you automatically makes you a more effective swordsman, and providing a parallel for archery just perpetuates the goofiness. The archer/bowyer shouldn't get any advantage shooting arrows, but rather the only on the crafting side should there be an advantage. To me special attributes on items should be related to the rest of the skills of the crafter, so I say if the archer is also a bowyer maybe bump up the hit chance, damage increase, or swing speed of the crafted bows. To get spell channeling/mage weapon/area effect the bowyer would need to have some magery. To get stat increases the bowyer would need to be an alchemist. For resist increases the bowyer would need either tailor or smith skill.

For these attributes we also shouldn't need runic fletching kits since this would require bulk order deeds if it followed the other two systems. After running a blacksmith and three tailors into town twice or more a day for the past year or so, I HATE *spits vehemently* collecting BODs and really don't want to have to horde yet another kind of deed just so I can create good archery equipment. If I have to burn a thousand pieces of wood just to get one bow with special attributes (which correspond to my other skills as indicated earlier), this is still more acceptable to me than popping into town every six hours trying to fill LBODs. That's a thousand pieces of wood down the resource sink versus another item stored just in case it's useful to somebody

Regarding enhancing: go the simple route and treat bows like metal weapons where a bowyer could use different ingots to "season" the wood for effects identical to their steel counterparts. Having different types of wood is merely cosmetic since I really wouldn't care that I enhanced with "agapite" versus "oak" as long as I got the desired effect. Sure different wood might help the lumberjack economy (gold ore is pricey nowadays), but I'd really rather have the ability to enhance soon versus a couple of years down the road if ever. If the previous point about runic fletching kits is taken to heart, lumberjacks would be useful because of the volume of wood they can gather and we wouldn't have to compete for the "special" wood.

G

Okay, I've moved this from U-Hall to here, because I figured the people here would be the best caretakers of this thread until OSI begins to take steps to "improve" archery.

I'll leave it to the community here and the moderators whether or not they wish to sticky this or not.

I

imported_Ghost_Knight

- Archers should be able to parry an attack with their bow
- Poison arrows or poison bow with charges...infectious strike
- Move after the bow is fired without missing automatically
- Drink a potion while holding bow (not heavy xbow)...skip one shot?
- Moving shot shouldn't use mana if the shot misses
- Heavy Xbows should dismount while archer mounted (at short range)
- Finally...runic fletching kits and enhanced bows are a must!!!!!

D

derricks2

Im not writing this so others can see it altho they might, but i knwo the moderators or EA representatives have to read these or whatever so here it goes.

1. Lets assume im a brand new player and i log on for the first time. Any other fighting skill aside, form archery, could be gmed with the fighting equipment(aside from armor) given at the creation. Archers can repair their weapons as can fighters... but where is the compensation for the usage of 15k arrows getting to gm archer compared to spending 0 time and 0 money for the other fighting skills which cost nothing aside form teh cost of thier weapon.

2. Of course the fact that archerys must stand there and wait for the arrows to hit defys logic(altho most of the game does as well, if you are crying to make archery more "Real Life" based just look at the rest of the game and it negates your argument becuase over 1/2 the game doesnt follow real life basis either)

3. The time it takes to GM archery (also intertwined witht eh cost of arrows during this process) makes it painfully slower then any other fighting skill. Argue if u want, but i started a melee macer and got him easily to 85 ish in 2 days with almsot no work and my archer is still stuck at 60 becase it makes me sick running and missing and never gaining skill when i do hit 10-20-30 times)

4. Do what u will with the BODs or enhancing... personaly i think the whole enhancing system is a joke and should never have been put in... because of the fact that it WILL be mentioned and pushed to be put into EVERY aspect of the game now and plus it makes things to powerful, IMO, being as i could create a char and within 3 days i could have 1 of the most powerful weapons in the game by chance if i get the right bods, mine a lil and make a good weapons with a bronze runic hammer... its too easy.)

5.Applying a bonus for bowcraft is totaly rediculous. Lumberjacking WOULD help a person using a axe in combat because the motion of the attack resembles that of a axe chopping a tree which gives you more control over your weapon instead of a crazy, "hurling" yourself wildly with axe in hand towrd a person. Bowcraft has NOTHING to do with the accuracy of a archer or the dmg he does....having the lore of making a bow doesnt mean u know how to use it at all.... just as having GM blacksmith woudl give a fighter a dmg bonus casue knowing how to make a weapon doesnt mean u have to know how to use it.

All in all... as fasr as pvp is concerned... if u fix it where u dont have to sit there while ur arrow actualy hits the person/creature and you have decent bow, and they fix the %% hit chance to that of normal weapons....that should make archers WAY more balanced because the timer for archery works the exatly like that of weapons so that as soon as u stop running u will fire if ur hit timer has expired just as if u run 5 tiles form someone with a halberd and then run back as soon as u stop next to the person u swing.... so a archer would not have to stand still more then 1 second per arrow and if u hav a better chance of hitting as the otehr skill have and combined with the "moving shot" ability then they accouts for you kill shot then archers woudl be more usefull in PvP AND PvM and would bring archers back to the game.

K

Kra'Za'Li

<blockquote><hr>

- Archers should be able to parry an attack with their bow

<hr></blockquote>

Ummm....No. If you were to try and use a bow, which is after all just a piece of wood kept under tension, to parry I don't hold out much hope for it surviving. I know this is going back to the realism vs. fantasy thing but I would rather have something that at least has some semblance of plausability to it. Parry needs a shield or has it changed now with everything else?

Argile_LS

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only problem i see with any of this is as soon as they change something it will be something big and make the archer class way to powerful. You will then see everyone use an archer again just as you did in the old days when you could drink a pot while having a bow equiped. Then we will be scheduled for a nerf and be right back at the same place we are now. Personally the only problem i see with archery is the part where you have to wait for your arrow to hit/miss. With my archer mage and some good equipment i can drop a lot of ppl with an explosion mind blast armor ignore shot. But since i can't move its not always easy to get it off.

M

Megalon

...of improvements I would like to see for Archery:

- Increase the weapon speed of bows and compound bows to 30.

- Decrease the time I have to stand still before the arrow hits to at least half.

- Ability to drink a potion while a bow is equipped. Maybe this could be a replacement property for UBWS (Potion Quaffing?).

- Increase the duration of of the paralyze special move by one or two seconds.

- Make it so that SS cannot heal through Mortal Strike.

I

imported_Ghost_Knight

I have a weird idea...just got it reading someone's post about not being able to parry a blow with a wooden bow...anyway why not let bows be crafted out of metal? That would solve the runic and enhancement problems and make for some kick butt looking bows with nice properties. It would have to be so the maker would need both bowcrafting and blacksmithing to make it. Heck they could make it two steps...make the bow with wood...enhance it with metal...like adding a metal coating to it or something.

X

Xiac

samurai who could fire 3 arrows before they hit their target...sounds like you watched one to many animes, unless their target was like 500 yards away and they were fireding from above or something

X

Xiac

It seems there is a pretty simple concensous as to what defiantly should be altered.
Lose the automatic miss if you move before arrow hits.
Slightly more spead for slower bows

and something to spice up fletching. trully this is among the worst that is nessacary in the game
fortunalty noone really needs more than 10 in the skill, there should be some bonus to having it gmed and it would be really nice to see runics for it...i dont think this would over power anything...im ean we can already get nice bows if we are really lucky and these hardly over power us, rather they help us to catch up a little. I think most would agree we are playing archers cause we like archers or something like that. so why should we not be able to ahve fun and be able to do as much as other classes.
I like the protected arrow store idea, and runics, i would really like to see some greater varity of bows...particularly i would like to see some neater looking bows. something so we can add our own personal style, like mogolian, chinese or japanese style bows.
Not sure if it has been suggested but i think in order to avoid the over powerment that we saw in the begining, perhaps add a skill like mounted firing. Perhaps without the skill it would work as it currently does. the hire we get in it the less the penalty for moving while fireing till eventually we can fire in full movment (on a mount of course) without penalty so its jsut like we are stadning still. maybe could have some otehr minor bonuses like minor defence increases or something like that. Anyway jsut a thought

J

Jessi Valdemont

OK I like a lot of ideas that other players have posted.

1. The bonus for having gm Fletching/bower is a great idea.

2. A quiver is one of the best ideas I have read. One side note. When hunting I carry between 500 and 1000 arrows/bolts. Most of the time carrying both bolts and arrows. Having the quiver able to carry both at the same time and able to carry large #'s of both would be great.

3. Fire and Poisoned arrows are great ideas&gt; I welcome them if put in the game. After all we all know people in the 13th century used fire arrows for destroying cities and used poisoned arrows in assassinations. Poisoning arrows would help out other skills.

4. As for loosing my arrow and missing my shot if I move after the arrow is released. I must agree with Cynewulf of Napa, "fire and forget" is the way. As a matter of fact let the arrow fly just like an e-bolt (corp-por), Forever if the target can keep ahead of it. See how fast mages start droping then. (nothing against mages I have one myself)

5. What is with the fact I can release 20 arrows at and ogre lord and hit once, but if I move a few spaces I can land 20 of the 20.

ps:# 5 is one all archers have stated I am sure. Not trying to beat a dead horse. Peace be with you all.

A

Adragonia

I wanna preface this by saying that I didn't read the whole thread to this point, as it's almost as long as archers have been thought of as a lesser priority by OSI. A lot of this was stemmed from a conversation with my brother last night.

Having been a GM archer for years, I totally understand every one of the complaints that every archer has. On the other hand, giving us everything we want would easily make archery an incredibly overpowered set of templates. Everyone would hate us then, not just OSI. We'd be the new tamers. : )

So balance, then. I've seen discussion about a quiver or being able to insure bolts/arrows. This, I'd be against. Archer ammo is considered a commodity, like regs or ingots, which aren't insurable. If we got insured arrows, mages would be crying for insured regs. It's not that different. It the usefulness of a quiver was something different, say reducing the weight or item count or arrows and bolts to a point, I feel that'd be a good balance.

Some kinda bonus for fletching, ala lumberjacking for swords. Not all combat skills get a bonus like that. Should archery, fencing, and macing? Sure. LJ and Swords, Eval and Magery, SS/Necro and karma, karma and chiv. So why not?

Variety arrows, fire, poison, exploding, barbed arrow tips, etc. Excellent idea. Poisoning is an underused skill as it is. Fire arrows would require higher archery skill to use and have less accuracy, and take an oil flask and a torch/lantern to create. Exploding arrows and barbed arrow tips could require moderate fletching and tinkering or just really high fletching to make. The balance would come from the added skills needed to make yourself or find someone who can.

One thing that should be a given though, as archery skill improves, so should the hit chance. Why as a GM Archer am I missing 90% of my shots? I'm not saying hit every single time, but a realistic amount. I know a lot of weapon combat skills have this problem too, so not just archery would benefit from it. Also, the whole fire and forget issue. I have to side with everyone who wants this. Is staring at my arrow/bolt as it hits my target really nessesary for it to hit the target?

Enhancement to the fletching skill. Lots of things that can be done with this. For starters, the number of weapons we have. Five right now, and up until February, we only had three (seven if you count juka and orcish bows). Even fencing, with only nine standerd weapon types, has more than us. So easily right there, more bow types to make (dart types, too, perhaps? A dart gun, or a blowgun). Colored wood (below) or ingot enhancing added in, and the aforementioned variety of arrow types, and there would be enough diversity to warrent a fletching only BOD system. Rewards could include runic fletching kits (like you didn't see that one coming from a hundred miles away), archery butte decorations, things like that. More wood types (more leather types were already introduced, and they were just rehued from the standard leather types, would that be so hard?) would also be a great idea. The balance there would be just like mining colored ores. Higher lumberjackng skill means better quality wood.

Just a few thoughts to think about (or dream about, as our case usually is). I'd be interested to discuss this issue further.

A

Amaretto

Having to sit still until the arrow hits is just silly. Now, having to sit still for a second before the arrow fires...you bet, that would be fine and realistic.

P

Puma

I have spent the last hour reading over this thread and all I can say is WOW. I am not the only archer who feels left outta the loop. You guys have really made a lot of valid points in this forum and we can all just hope that the dev team will take the time to read and respond.

As an archer, and bowyer/fletcher in R/L there are a number of inconsistancies that I see with the skills in UO. Most of these, if not all, have been delt with in other posts, but I thought I would put my two cents worth in as well.

1. Yes, the wood that a bow is made from has a significant effect upon the final weapon. Some woods, like osage orange, are more durable, while others, like yew, have a greater resiliance which allows a stronger draw weight with a lower mass bow limb. This results is a faster arrow flight and thus a harder hitting arrow.
2. Firing rate on this game is WAY too slow. I am harldy a GM archer in R/L and yet I can fire at least twice as fast as my UO GM archer, without a noticable loss of accuracy.
3. Speaking of accuracy, I also hit a lot more often in R/L than my UO GM archer. Shouldn't "Grandmaster" mean something? I mean, really, I have gone to archery exibitions and witnessed R/L GM's shoot asprin tablets, and dimes out of the air at 30 yards.
4. What is up with the wait till your arrow hits or you miss thing? I can see having to wait a split-second after moving before you can fire (plant feet, draw, release, run!) but the path of the arrow is not dependant upon the archer standing still.
Now from a strictly gaming perspective:
1. Runic fletching kit is an absolute must have item if we are going to keep the runic crafting system at all. (Personally I think that a craftsman, whether smith, tailor, or bowyer should need magery to imbue their items with magical properties. If they have paladin skills they should be able to imbue their weapons with holy virtues. Necromancer/craftsmen could give their items darker properties. Point made?)
2. The quiver is a fabulous idea. Insurable ammo....YES!!! With shield-like special properties...Even Better!!! Also, most R/L bowyers make their own shooting tack as well, so the quiver should be craftable by bowyers rather than tailors.
3. Craftable archery buttes? Sure, mine is a hay bale in my back yard. Would be a great addition to the game.
4. Make "flaming arrow" and "poisoned arrow" primary special manuvers. Make "multi-shot" and "called shot" secondary manuvers.

Keep up the good work.

R

Ravishing One

Lets make the Archery Update simple:

Allow us to shoot faster, and miss less often!

I

imported_Guildmule

1. Faster bow type weapon base speed.

2. Remove the need to stand and watch our arrows hit the target..(moving once arrow leaves our bows).

3. I settle for this if we can't get #2. *** Make arrows travel faster inroute to our target.

4. Other range attacks don't miss (SPELLS), but archery does, give us the longest range then. Currently Range 10 on a bow, same as SPELLS. It used to be SPELLS can get disrupted, but not anymore with the change in the PROTECTION spell.

G

<font color=red>Archers will also be pleased to know that,
just like other weapons, their bows will be able
to be imbued with special item properties.</font color=red><font color=blue> &lt;--another lie from our good pals at O$I</font color=blue>

T

Techno_Mage

I was just thinking about the simplest way that archery could be fixxed without making it overpowered... The idea that came to me was this...
Remove the arrow animation. Archers should still have to stand still to fire but make it like other weopons in that after the animation of the shot is finished (or the shot is fired what ever comes first) the archer should be free to move. Damage should be instant as soon as the animation is over. This would let faster bows be of more use (ATM my archer fires all bows at the same speed beacuse he has to wait for the first arrow to hit before the second one fires.)
This would bring archery in line with all other weopon skills with the negitives of needing ammo and standing still to actually fire to balance the ranged attack. (If the char is not still the arrows should not fire unless moving shot is selected while running.)
So archery would go like this... Stop, Shoot, instant hit/miss and damage count shows, archer can move or sit still and fire again. Just remove the wait for arrows to actually hit the target, I mean if they were real arrows do you think it takes that long to get to the target... not to mention the fact that the animation seems to have a laser guided tip on the arrow that homes in on the target bending round corners as they run /php-bin/shared/images/icons/biggrin.gif.

S

STStephan

Has anyone ever given the thought as for the fletching bod system...maybe the answer is in the rewards...ie: Arrows or bolts as a reward imbued with magical qualities like + to hit or to damage? I mean you use a fletchers kit to make Bows and Ammo I think this coupled with not having to wait for the arrow to actually hit the target before you can scatter your butt to safety, would make archery a revived combatant in Sosaria and not too overpowering like the Mage has become.

Nolan David Warrior Templar United Soldier Alliance (catskills) (Elder Archer)

N

NissassaDrol

I think that we should be allowed to have poisoned arrows: say a stack of 10 requires one poison potion. There arrows would be able to poison the target, much like daggers, etc. Also, we should be able to have flaming arrows: say, being able to light a stack of 10 arrows with a torch. These arrows would have the same property as the bleed attack, except causing "burn" damage. Arrows can be lit and not poisoned; bolts can be posioned and not lit. Or visa versa. Whatever.

My other idea is a blow-gun like archery weapon. It would be ONE handed and fast, much like the kryss/katana. Ammo could even be "darts," giving fletchers another option.

I hope this hasn't been posted before, but I don't have the time (right now) to read all ten pages.

My two cents.

O

Oldude

I just wanted to say i like to get us archers on Seige Perilous. Myself lead some of yall as TB faction. Necro archers are very nasty. If you seek that role as an archer.

T

Trijack

This is just my oppinion, but i don't see what the issue is with archery buttes, until archery is fixed! JEEZ!

BEWARE of what you ask for, EA will give with one hand and take with the other!

T

Trijack

Very nicely put!!!

BEWARE of what you ask for, EA will give with one hand and take with the other!

E

Eson

What if we did the darts quite useless when it comes to original damage, but you can poison the darts (infection) and paralyzing (para shot) just like the indians in amazonas. And alchemy is req. for glasblowing, it should be req. to use darts and a blowpipe. And because of the darts dont do any damage, we should´nt need any tactics or anatomy, because you only need to hit your target to paralyze or infect him and it should'nt matter where on the body it hit.

So i think archery, alchemy and poisoning would be cool with darts. *dreaming*

O

oathborn

here is my thoughts on archery what it needs and does not need.

Arrows made of diffrent woods, or poisoned would make more stacks. there would have to be a stack for very diffrent wood type made, every poison type, and if you went with the iron types you would have 8 more for that. this makes thing a little harder then they need to be. exp. i have 50 poison arrows and 50 none poison arrows, what arrows will fire when i attack something? i can not equip any arrows for the game to know.

Crossbows are 2 handed because no matter what it takes both hands or at least alot of thought, and attion to load one. ever loaded a crossbow?

What would i say would help?

Bring in wood types for making crossbows and bows (you can make normal arrows with but they would be normal arrows) and put the wood types on corpsers, reapers and bog things (what every those things are) all critters at spawn with wood. this makes it like hides, you kill say a cropser or swamp tentical to get one wood type, reapors for another... so on so on
Each wood have diffrent aspects, and ablities. may be one will poison critters when struck with the arrows.

diffrent wood types can be used for BODs as the diff hides and ingots are used.

Add diffrent skills to archer to help give bonusis when the bow is made (like poison, inscription and magery) so for example a bower with 100 poison 100 bower could make a bow that does DP.
Blacksmithing can add damage because they have a stronger tip.
Tinkering can make them faster with adding gears or IHC with some kind of sight, or longer range.
tailoring could have a effect for the string of the bow.

Add damage, speed, and/or IHC if you have bowcraft. make it like an LJ for archer. as someone else already said.

make a crossbow with charges that does not take two hands to use because it has a "clip" of sorts. make it that a tinker needs to make clip and combine with a crossbow, charges are bolts added to the wep by a gm tinker.

Archery gloves that add SSI that works on bows! kind of like mining gloves.
+5 archery
+15 SSI
add resist here
Put it on the BOD we all know should be there.

AND you should not have to wait for your arrow to hit before moving, but i dont think you should be able to shoot and move at same time. you would be able to hit people as you are running away from them, and you would almost never take damage.

One small point
Black Smiths and Tailors got BODs and rewards
Tinkers got Golems (that are realy bad i might add)
Miners got stone work
Alcys got glass work

WHAT do the bowers get?

ok i am done ranting

But one more thing to help me get flamed and i dont mean to be rude real!

If you complian to the right people you might get some things done, and you look like an honest man trying to get his/her fair share. if you complain alot, you get ignored and look like whiners.

some of the things people are pointing out ether dont make sence or seem like they just want alot more then they will ever get no matter how much you complain. Like parry or trying to say that most crossbows are one handed (they shot this down 4 years ago with what i said at the top) pick the battles that you can win.