• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

The ARCHERY thread

G

the response is appreciated, as is the attention given to the archery butte glitch.

As far as the more ambitious suggestion of modifying the trees to drop specific wood... could you (or anyone with the knowledge of the nuts 'n bolts of the programming) advise as to whether or not it's actually possible to do? By which, I just mean something simple like:

a) "No, the way the trees are coded will not allow them to be modified"

or

b) "Yes, the tree/wood variety could be done, but would take quite some time to actually re-code everything"

Thanks again for the feedback.

G

Grimswind

I think that my idea on page 4 is probably way more possible than wood variaties. Good luck to all who want those new kinds of wood, but I doubt they will ever have time to do anything like that.

G

>"use the three special leather types for enhancing bows."

if they have to use already existing items for bowyer enhancements, I'd rather they used the ingot system instead, for the simple fact that it provides a larger variety and would make the enhancements on par with other weapon enhancements already being done.

and it would also give them the ability to do runic fletching kits in the ore types as well (if they're not able to do the wood varieties and make them from oak/yew/walnut/etc).

A

Aderyn22

It has all been said by others throughout the thread but I'll add my voice to the roar as well.

The things that need to be fixed/changed ASAP.

1. The crash bug - how I hate this
2. Archers should be able to move after the arrow has been loosed. The damage should occur virtually instanteously and not have to wait till the animation hits the target [mages do not have to put up with this , why do archers?] I don't mind that I have to be stationary to shoot but I should be able to move after I fire.

Things I would like to see added:

3. Enhancement of bows
4. Quiver for non-lootable arrows
6. Quiver or bracers or small shield to make up for the lost item slot.
7. Ability to drink potions without having to disarm, ie it only takes one hand to hold the bow the other could drink a pot.

One I can't agree on is the lower ammo cost, A higher accuracy modifier sure but if you dont use ammo you can't do damage, eh? [And no I do not agree with LRC items either - if you dont use regs then you shouldn't cast a spell imho]

C

Cosis

man dont let them pull that bullcrap on you. Thats the same type bs spiel theyve been spewing for years. Its like three card monte. Hey look over here while I screw you some more.

Mr Tact, I and alot of others here know better then that. That BS weak answer doesnt cut it. Who the frigg cares about buttes working or not when thats the LEAST of the problems Archery and Fletching has.

You know what pisses us off the most? The fact you guys always talk about having your plates full and any archery/bowyer tweaks are on the backburner and then you put some BS that NOONE asked for out like house runes and vendors you can customise more then your own chars.

Stop pissing around and give us the damn things you already promised us like Runics and Enhancing.

I and plenty others are sick to death of this bullcrap worthy of a presidential campaign. Stop with the crappy vauge propaganda answers. Stop with the house runes and flower garlands and give us the *#%#ing stuff you told us you were going to give us!!!

<blockquote><hr>

Archers will also be pleased to know that, just like other weapons, their bows will be able to be imbued with special item properties. More information on that will be released in a future spotlight on New Items and Item Properties.

<hr></blockquote>

We want firm direct answers to:
1. When are you going to fix Archery.
The answer, Somtime in the future, is completely unacceptable. Give us a publish number. Publish 21? 22?

2.What are you going to put in?

If your never gonna do anything, just say it already. But stop this stringing people along bullsht you guys keep pulling.

Do you guys really hate Archery that much?

G

Is this the real reason why pub 20 was delayed? So you good say: "Look! Proof!"

R

Rosaline

<blockquote><hr>

1. When are you going to fix Archery.
The answer, Somtime in the future, is completely unacceptable. Give us a publish number. Publish 21? 22?

2.What are you going to put in?

If your never gonna do anything, just say it already. But stop this stringing people along bullsht you guys keep pulling.

<hr></blockquote>

Why can't they answer this?
Well...

1) They might not know the state of those areas of the code at the moment. Need to know that before they can even predict a timescale. Don't forget, the dev team has changed a lot over the 6 years UO has been running.

2) Even if they know what the code's like, there's no telling untill you try of how actually difficult the task will prove. We're talking about a massive number of interacting systems here.

3) So, it seems that the code isn't an issue, and coding isn't that bad. But then comes QA, and here's were the majority of the problems will arise. if QA finds a bug, back it goes into coding. If QA reports that something seems amis, back it goes into coding. And of course, that's ignoring the time it takes to work out why things are going wrong.

4) Now, before they can do any of the above, they need to know a rough figure. Why? Because there's schedules to be kept, and you're going to have to fit this work into them somewhere. Time is sadly not infinate. Publish 21 I'd expect to be nearing feature-lock stage by now, but 22 is still open - but it's very soon.

5) Even remembering all that, there's the whole return on investment issue - if there's something simpler they can put into a publish that will give a greater return on investment (like house runes - far more player shops out there than a lot of player-types, and it could be argued that player-shop-runners are more likely to have additional accounts...), then they will defer for that item at the planning stage.

6) If they decide that they won't be adding something to a certain publish, odds are it's still on their wish-lists. So they'll keep working on things in their spare time, and keep seeing if they can get it added to a later publish. So they won't say "no, never", bcause that's frankly not true.

Now, give these guys a breather and some space to do their job.

{NB: I've an archer that I'm very fond of, I want to see fixes too, and I want those much-promised runic fletching kits also, before you acuse me of otherwise}

Y

Yugon Basho

For me main thing is fix the timing on arrow, not being able to move while an arrow is in the air is just stupid, but if you want suggestions:

How about different arrows that do different forms of damage and require different level of lumberjacking to get? Well at the bottom of lumberjacking you have the normal physical damage arrow, then maybe after a time you can harvest another form of wood that does fire damage, then higher you can harvest wood that does cold damage, and so on with poison and energy as well. Could make lumberjacking more useful?

R

Rosaline

Years of exactly the same dilemmas, years with completely different teams, years with other groups of disgruntled players hassling them.

C

Catriana

2 main things for me:

1. Fire and forget. Should have a delay while you aim, but once the arrows gone you shouldn't have to stand still.
2. Ability to poison arrows.

Other things, well I guess runics would be nice and would make bows more comparable with other weapons. Maybe use ingots to enhance crossbows as they have metal fittings and leather to enhance normal bows as they might have leather grips.

A lot of people have suggested an equivalent to the lower reagent cost modifier that mages have....well I'm probably the only one but I wouldn't like to see that. A bow fires arrows or bolts, if you don't fire an arrow or a bolt then there's nothing to hit someone with. Create magic bows that shoot fireballs if you like, but a lower arrow cost bow seems silly to me. Besides I've never been of the opinion that just because one class, e.g. mage, has something that every other class should have it too....maybe next it will be lower bandage use for healers or lower ingot use for smiths so you can make that valorite plate suit from zero ingots.

G

Ahh..........now that is a nice thing to look at /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

*hopes this fix is in Publish 21*

I won't bog down the thread with anything else, it's all been said.

S

Silver_Blade

Heh, damned if they do, damned if they don't. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

In the meantime, I guess, that at the job application interviews every applicant has to wear a thick padded shirt with "PUNCHBAG" written all over it and everyone that's around must hit them with baseball bats - if they still stand they're told: "That's nothing compared to what the UO-Community will do to you!"

If they don't faint, they're given a few painkillers and are then "introduced" to the boards.

At times, it must suck to be a dev.... /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

K

Kra'Za'Li

Not meaning to sound pessimistic but does anyone remember how long it took for Necromancy to get put in the game? It was Years!

K

Katz Onyx II

Everything thus far looks good. Hope some of it does indeed get incorporated into the game at some point in time. Especially the "shoot and forget" and the quiver ideas. Being able to enhance would be a cool feature as well.

G

Grimswind

When you have ONE character and that character is an archer and you play on a shard thats predominatly pvp it seems like its pointless to keep your account going.

But I have a strange feeling that EA is to blame for the current development crisis. EA is waaaay more money oriented than Origin ever was. Thats evident in the fact that they paid Richard Garriot 30mil for the company and he still stayed on until he saw the decline the game was taking. Don't fret though, I heard he has his own new project going, and you have to admit he is the man so to speak.

E

Elowan of Wind

During the Orc Invasion an arrow actually made a ninety-degree turn to hit me.
Let's start by eliminating that 'feature'.
35% damage bonus only on composite exceptional bows.
able to poison arrows.
magically-charged arrows

Z

Zeldarwen

Thank you for the heads up. As we all know there are only so many hours in a day and you all have had your hands rather full of late. I think we all just wanted to know that we weren't going unheard or worse yet ignored. To those who are a bit impatient and frustrated.. imagine a job where no matter what you do and how hard you try people are hollaring for more. Then show a little compassion.

Thanks again for a honest up front response and all the hard work you all are doing on the latest publish to get it done right. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

C

Cosis

Bud, theyve been feeding us the same bs lines for years now. Job himself wouldnt have patience with them at this point.

G

Well MrTact, I think many of us feel that if an idea thread gets to X number of posts(excluding flame posts) that it would be nice to hear that you are reading the thread etc.

I am not sure what it is but I think many of us think your just too busy to read the boards to any great detail. Which is totally understandable because reading the boards is NOT your job. But it does feel that some of the VERY good ideas on these boards get passed over, even though you probly do read them. Its not like everyone can see a mark on threads that say: MrTact/Vex and Sannio have read this thread.

Thats just an opinion, not ment to do anything but state some of the thinking on the boards.

A

Arcane

Ok, after getting to page 4, then reading the last page, thought I may as well chuck mine in. its all been covered, but I suppose, the more the better right?

My Archer on OCeania is 120. Some mates in guild, after seeing what I was doing to LL's with her, using pally skills, decided, they would also make archers. One was at 80, other at 95. I was on 120.

We went balron, with luck suits (yes yes I know, no-one was realyl bothered with skill gain, this was fun time. :&gt; ) just to see if we could snag some nice loot. As it happened, I would fire quicker, higher dex, fine, but, the person on 95, seemed to hit lot more then me, was weird to me. Would think, at 120, you should be able to hit a bit more then someone at 95..

oh yes, Client crash with archery...thats fun.

Only time it seems to happen to me, and from reading others, seems same thing, whenever its a magical creature, they have casted a spell, arrow still in flight, archer moves, client crash.

Anyhow!! yer, quiver sounds good to me!

O

OTTnMIA

*smiles from ear to ear at the picture of the new buttes* Thank you, Mr. Tact, we are ELATED at the new developments. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Q

Quazar

I've been a fan of the colored wood system for years. I think it would be an awesome idea.

Another, simpler way to get some results fast would be enhancing the arrows...like, special tipped arrows...with colored ingots. So you could have a valorite-tipped arrow, with the same features as a valorite enhanced arrow.

It would also be fun to see magical arrows spawned on monsters. Maybe an "arrow of peircing" from centaurs or something. Cause right now, archery is just plain boring!

I've been working for 2 months now, and gone from 97 archery to 103 archery. I've used about 10k arrows. It's slower than molasses in January, and I miss about 50% of the time on DRAKES with a dragon slayer weapon. It's horrible. Not only that, but I only do between 30-40 damage. Now, I recently grabbed a dragon slayer lance for my fencer, started out, and instantly was doing 50-60 damage with a weapon with which I can "joust" and wear a shield with.

I think that's a little absurd, don't you?

As for fletching affecting damage or whatever in archery, I think this is a bad idea, and not plausible with real life. Back in the ancient times when these weapons were made for utility purposes, the crafter knew nothing of the craft of using what he created. Crafters were on a lesser tier than the knights in society, they were not permitted to such sport. Therefore, I propose bowcraft powerscrolls. So, after say 95 bowcraft, you start getting a chance to add special attributes, such as hci or ssi, making a good bow that is usable by everyone. This would make bowcraft more competetive with the other crafting skills.

Also, why the hell isn't there an alchemy PS??!?!?!?!?!?!?! I'm very mad about that. Hehe.

But seriously, I think archery needs some huge attention.

And, making arrows "fire and forget" would be probably the most needed thing in the entire game, at this point. No one cares about how vendors work. They're fine. Leave them alone. Fix the things that really need fixing!

How many times have vendors been changed in the 5 years that UO has been around? 4, 5 times? Oh. That's nice. How many times has archery? 1? Wow! I feel special!

Anyway, I think it would be good to see some initiative toward making archery a better skill!

Great thread!

-Lady Lapris of Napa Valley, Flying Arrow of United Brittainian's

P

Poxx

on the whole runic fletching kit issue-
I think for this to be feasible, we need to suggest a way in which a greater variety of Bods could be generated. The limited number of craftable items with bowcraft/fletching right now would really generate a lot more runic kits than are generated from tailoring or smithing. Even with multiple woods- we're talking 5 craftable items right now, so matching BODS to LBODS would be MUCH easier.

R

Roachfood

Errrr I've read most of the discussion here, but am out of time because work calls! Anywho I've seen the arguments for/against shields for archers. I dont think an archer should be able to hold a heater, or bronze shield for that matter. However, I have seen (somewhere cant remember where) a small shield that is worn on one hand by a strap, allowing the left hand to be free to grasp the bow, and still allowing the archer to grab an arrow and shoot it with his right hand with no problem.

It looks similar to a buckler I guess, however I would imagine that a new item would have to be created specifically for use with bows. Is it possible to parry with a bow? I know its not the same % for a successful parry with a weapon vs. a shield (about half the chance). But do archery weapons allow for that smaller chance of a parry? Errrr I guess thats it!

Rawr!

C

Caretaker

Hmm about the weight of arrows post and something to improve player crafted arrows in stead of faction town bought ups.

[Craftable at 90.1 and 100% succes at gm]
Bulk arrows making (use the grafics of a pile of arrows)
- 200 wood / boards / shafts
- 200 feathers

A pile of arrows arrows can be converted into 250 useable arrows by doubleclicking it but weights less in packed form.

G

Hey, I like those new buttes, MrTact. We still want more archery love /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

D

Delemar

ok this is comming from somone who has played an archer since release! here are my opinions and should not be considered the view of all archers:

1) NO NO NO NO! archery should not get a dammage bonus for fletching, i know LJ has the bobus but it was given for 2 handed axes to make up for there lack off speed, compared to there sword counterparts that use the same skill. archery dammage is fine and there should be no dammage multiplyer. also look at it like this:
fletching is a trade skill, used to make player usablle items. lumber jacking is a skill to harvest materials. other then hacking wood it was useless untill it was used with axes. now i will admit fletching is a dull skill but far from worthless, and if they enhanced it would be a real decent stand alone skill

2)loosing an arrow if you move after you fire. ohh dear god how i hate this. an arrow fires fast in real life. why must my character wait till it hits or misses befor i move? this should be made instantly. how is this for a game flaw:
an archeryweapon with the highest weapon speed in the game (even if a repeater is used) with 120 dex and 100 spead increase (i know it is not in the game but it is an example here) and can still be slower then the slowest weapon in the game! why? because you can not fire that second shot untill the 1st one lands. which also means no matter how fast your weaponskill/dex is if a player is capable of running non stop for 2 full min even witha repeating crossbow you only fire 2 shots every 4 min.
what i sugest is remove the arrow animation compleatly! have the dammage delt this resolvesplayers running from arrows as wellplayers waiting to move untill the arrow lands. it will be instant. the archer will STILL have to stop to fire thought keeping the skill as intended.

3) goes with number (2) do NOT change moving shot. its mana consumption is at a fair level and it does not create extra dammage so not overpowering and prevents the old issue where archers where overpowered and all this began.

4)shields! what the heck! why is archery the only skill that does not have a wepon that a shiled can be used with. as it is now "parry" is a combat skill. i picked this up to lower my special move cost. because it said in the beta AoS website "all 2 handed weapons will now have a chance to parry" well i hate to break it to you but with 100 parry and a 2 handed bow i have yet to parry a special move! it would be nice then at least to equip a bow and a shield.
to make this fair i would sugest leaving all bows as they currently are and adding 2 new bows:
half bow
short crossbow
these weapons would have double the attack spead as a bow/crossbow to simulate the longer needed time it would take to load a arrow/bolt into the weapon whil still holding a shield. add a small dammage increas to ballance out shots that fire once every 12 min.

5)potions. god i am firing a weapon then i use my virtual hand into my virtual backpack and grab another arrow to load. why can i reach in that same imaginary backpack and grab a potion instead? i mean that hand is free inbetween shots isint it? its beung used to grab an arrow. maybe a compromise would be allowing players to drink potions if using a 1 handed archery weapon (mentioned above) when not using a shield?since they do not have a shiled in there off hand they can use it for somthing else!?

6)lower regent cost! well dont that suck for archers? mages/necros dont need many now with just 1 of each reg in a poisioned chest they can fight indefinatly. since regent consumption is reduced to 0 for casting and no thif can open a properly traped chest without death the mage has little to fear. arcane clothing &lt;insured&gt; even if somhow they loose there regents upon death they can fight there way back to there corpse and reclaim what they lost, grwoing regents! they are allover the ground just groing so if you lost an arecane cloth just run aroung for 2 min collecting regs you need and your back in the game, mage shops, yes 2 or more per city and another 2 or more alchlamy shops per city not to mention if you play in fel with faction vendors, archery, 1(if your lucky) fletcher, kill rat men (unless you just rezed then you have no arrows to begin with or a player fletcher (that needs a lumberjack to collect wood, or an adventurer to collect feathers). no i dont think archers need cloth or lower arrow/bolt cloth. but maybe a quiver would be nice (info on that below).

6)quivers! yes it is needed a simple 2D graphic you can place in your back pack. like bod books, and runbooks they should be blessed (maybe a fletchign reward or reward of a none boss creature (ie no gauntlet or artifact rarity loot) this quiver would hold differnt arrow types (more on that later) the player would put say 50 fire arrows, 50 poision arrows, and 50 regular arrows. then the player "right clicks" on the quiver to bring up a context menue that would select what the player wishes to use when firing and in what order. maybe somthing like this:
fire: on
ice: off
normal: off

or somthing like this:

fire: 20%
poision: 20%
normal: 60%

then script it so the weapon uses the quiver as a suply source for the arrows instead of the current stack. as it is right now the code (correct me if i am wrong) searches your back pack you the current ammo suply say arrows if you have one it allows you to fire anr removes the stack and replaces it with the ammont minus 1 (you just fired) hence we can not have "exceptional arrows" the current code wont allow a pile of unmatched items to group. BUT if in a quiver the seperate code can suply new information as long as the BOW belives the quiver is a valid ammo suply? (get what i am saying cause if i sound crazy i can try to explain better). this would in my opinion ballance out archers being 100% defencless after rez.

7)arrow types! there has to be a way for fletchers to creat at the verry least "exceptional arrows" these arrows can be made of different materials (more on the below) these exception arrows could maybe add 4-10% increases to the bow. helping make up for the fact there are no fletching runics?

8) wood types? 1 type of wood i know a dev said there is technology to spawn multiple wood types, so lets do it! here is a few sugestions though. weapons and ammo are 2 different things so they need 2 different properties when when echanted so here is a little chart i brainstormed:

normal oak deadwood willow yew reaper

weapon n/a durability man/stam leach resist stat inc. life tap
ammow n/a dam. inc poision fire arrow hit lower stat spell

just examples. devs would have to really balance/tweak it.

9)LJ. right now they only harvest normal wood. they need to harvest many woods. give them a hatchet like mining gloves and they are off! easily acomplished.

10) fletching runics! come on guys with smithes enchancing allready too powerfull weapons while archers are left to use only what spawns on creatures! go to west britin bank and look at the paperdolls what some people have for weapons. then look what archers have.

D

Delemar

11) fletchign bods. with what i mention there is a plethera of new stuff that can make bods a reality 2 new bows, 6 new ammo types (doubled if you seperate arrows/bolts) now we need runics and rewards

12) rewards should be fair tailoing has clothing bless deeds but lets face it that is by far way to over powering. what if you got a deed thaat u use on a weapon (archer or not) that would insure your weapon say 8-12 times? this would save you the 700 or so gold each time and is not perment give it a tag &lt;insured 7&gt; so you know how many times befor you have to insure it again. a quality deed like:
+50 durability
+10 hit lightning
+10 life leach
+ect
that you can use on any existing archery wepon (yes the code can tell the differance between archery and non archery if it couldent we would have swords firing bolts)
other options:
archery butts (if not craftable by a fletcher yes a fletcher should make not a tinker or carpenter they have so little as it is) or colored archery butts!

colored arrows (decorative?)

piles of arrows (pyramid stacked like in npc fletchers shops)

fletching runic kits

a quiver bless deed (if not blessed from start)

a quiver of holding (increaced capasity and weight reduction)

a quiver of plenishing (i said i dont think we need them but just an idea for those who think we do) that reduces arrow cost?

special 1 handed bow not craftable in game.

all kinds of ideas here

13)add new special moves to new archey weapons. we have no whirilwind attacks (dunno if it is possible) no shadow strike attack... you get the picture

14)dammage/heal ratio! dont know if this is really an archey problem or a healing option but as it is now it is nearly to defend yourself in PvP because the fact is archery does not put out enough dammage to compete with the healing skill (maybe for all combat skills?) and potions and heal spells here is a senerio:

arow fired 20 dammage

apponent begins healing and drinks potion (restored to 100% health)
apponet hits you (you begin healing but no potion because it is not allowed with bows)

you hit apponent (1st bandage finishes heal apponent 100% health)

you hit sucsessfull special move 60 dammage

apponent begins bandage, drinks potion and heal spell 100% health, drinks endurance potion 100% stam)

ect
ect
ect

with spell channeling weapons this is verry annoying maybe speed for archery weapons needs to be increased (but only if moving after arrow is fired is fix otherwise you cant move otherwise increasing the weapon speed means nothing unless you are a ganker)

15)dissmount is useless! lets face it, it would be nice if you could keep up with your apponent when knocking him off his mount but your both on foot now. and he can run while the arrow is chasing him and you have to wait for it to hit or miss or else shot is lost. this can be 3 screens or more away befor it actiually lande and if your apponent is near death buy the time it hits 2 or 3 bandages can be applied. like the lance archery should be able to be fired from horse back. not to mention on a side not i thought there was extra dammage from being knocked off a mount with my heavy cross bow the most i have seen was 1 extra point of dammage, whats up with that?

there is more i could say but i am getting tired. also am not saying archery needs ALL of these features mention i just thought mention as much as i could would give some ideas or get some brainstorming rolling. i know much has been said befor and i know some of these ideas are elseqwere but i tried to expand on some. srry for being so long winded!

D

Delemar

also sorry for any typos i know i do it often i am not soo good with a keyboard please dont flame me for my inability to type andlook at the screan at the same time. i know i could go back and pre check it but i do it so often it is an effort. you all know what i mean just cause i typo often

G

GastonLerox

if archery gets poisoning macing should to or i swear im quitting uo and on top of that put dismount on a better damn weapon okay a wand is useless does osi hate me or something

Gaston Lerox , Siege Perilous

G

Here is what I think are priority:

1. client crash-this has gotten me killed many many times against all types of monsters. it is better than it used to be but still is lurking around.

2. fire and forget-fire and forget is a good idea but having it work as a moving shot is bad. i remember plate wearing, mage, archer, thief PKs from the first year or so of UO and they were literally everywhere. have a short stop BEFORE the arrow fires as a load time.

3. magical bows-either figure a way to implement runics into fletching or make bows more abundant as loot.

4. weapon speed- i think that archery weapons could use a very slight tweak in speed. i think a bow with a speed of 28-30 would help archer PvP a lot.

5. potions-i believe that drinking potions with a bow equipped should be allowed due to the fact that you only use your 2nd hand to fire. make drinking a potion negate your reload(#2).

6. archery buttes-fix these and make them craftable but make them require the collection of wheat sheafs!

I had another one but can't seem to remember what it was...so I guess it wasn't too important.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
**QUICK FIX**

Currently...Juka bows can be modified with gears to be usable by us regular non-Juka folk....

If we fashion these gears from diffferent ingot types, those gears could then be used to transfer our ingot mods to all bow type weapons? Perhaps put the gears on the smithy menu and be able to craft them with runics. Then modify bows with them?

It seems to me that carpentry or tinkering should be well ahead in line for a BOD system then flechting. Those are more mainstream crafting skills and there isn't nearly enough diversity to fletching to create a BOD system. At least not without a MAJOR overhaul to the skill. This would require lots of dev time and put us off even further for much desired changes to the archery class folk.
And with the above mentioned changes we could be somewhat pacified while still leaving fletching open for a later....well thought out...BOD system.

Instant hits, quivers, and fire and forget are much need changes as well

But not one second before that client crash bug gets sqaushed!!

thank you for your time

-Gheed

B

Bruno Idaho

Thx for the response - good to know that attention are finally being paid to the shortcomings of archery...

O

Oldude

Just weird i came across this. For two years i have been trying to build an ARCHERS guild on Seige Perlious. Since i started to post message and made a guild forum. Players are rushing to join the ARCHERS guild. Hope to see alot of improvements to the skill of ARCHERY. Just surpise me what ever is discussed about the art of ARCHERY.

Oldude,Seeks Archers
Archers of Malas(BOW)

Darkholme

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The very day that my GM Woodworker crafts an Archery Butte that works so my guild can have an archery contest with their newly crafted Runic Yew Wood Gem Encrusted Compound Bows that my GM Woodworker made out of Yew Wood and Diamonds with his Yew Wood Runic Fletching Kit he got after he turned in a 20/Ex/Yew Wood/Bow Fletching LBOD, to see who can run quicker immediately after firing and not crashing to desktop, I will stop complaining about Archery/Fletching/Bowyering being neglected for so long... /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Darkholme-
WOW! Gem encrusted yew wood bows? That is a really good idea. It never occured to me to imbue archery weapons w/gemstones. (odd considering I still play Diablo II as much as UO) That woulg be a good reason to actually have gemstones in the game. Tell me more. What special attributes would the different gemstones give? Hit chance increase? Swing speed increase? Poison, fire, cold and the like? IMHO that would give archery just what it needs.

D

Daerius

Suggestions:
1 Log = 5 Shafts or so per 1 log and I don't think it should be skill based because it would be ideal for those starting out fletching to be able to make decent gold. They could chop wood for hours, make shafts and sell them in good bulk.

If you can do alcohol and oil clothes' for the orange bottles you toss that do no damage, why not use pieces of oil cloths on arrows (based on archery skill) to ignite the tip of the arrow when it strikes, causing a small radius of fire.

Frozen Arrows - Causes a slower movement(magic based somehow?)

Make archery more accurate because right now melee has more hit rate than archery, plus they can parry while archers have to run, then stop and fire. I also feel archers should be able to move -AFTER- they release an arrow, not wait till hit hits. That would be more beneficial.

Shadowstrike and Infectious for archery weapons would be very useful. Infact, I think poison crossbow bolts would be very cool.

Runic bow kits, and enhancing bows/crossbows using various wood... OR you could come up with Various arrows and crossbow bolts. Some sort of -enchanted arrows- when they impact they release energy, fire, or cold, or poison upon impact. *shrugs* just an idea if the enhancing is a bad idea.

Darkholme

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The idea of using gemstones for bow enhancement in place of special woods or ingots was just one of the great ideas I've seen posted... I can't remember by whom it was first suggested, when and where though... I'll see if I can't find the post. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

I'd actually like to see the idea of gemstone enhancements implimented into smithing as well. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

W

WikidJester

I have read A few of these posts,and it seems like there are some really good ideas.I have not a bowyer or a fletcher so anything that I comment on is strictly how I (THINK) things work.

1. I dont think fletchers enhancing arrows is a good idea...heh but it could be.First of all,people probly will always be running around collecting YOUR bad azz arrows...and they run out.

2.Enhancing bows.well when it comes to enhancing an item you have to look at what makes up the working part of the item.There is a bowstring,and the bow.Now yes there are other things that could be enhanced like maybe some kind of automatic triggering device for X bows,and the pully systems on the compound bow to increase force,but I think we need to make it easy for the devs to implement a system.

3.Take into consideration the other enhancing abilitys of the smith.You have 8 different elements that can be worked into a weapon to have different desired effects.I would say it would be best to transpose this to different bowstrings.I dont know if it is possible but could they make the program think it is enhancing a regular weapon with an ingot,but what we see is enhancing the bowstring(or better yet changing the bowstring) on a bow.Our interface shows bowyer tools,and 8 different types of bowstrings...but the server sees 8 metals and a weapon.Just translate it strait across the board...I enhance my bow with the 3rd bowstring on list(whatyever it would be called) I enhance...now my bow has all the characteristics of a weapon that got enhanced with copper.

4.Runic tools for bows....This would be making the bow out of a specific wood.Just like a hammers.A YEW runic tool,would allow you to make a bow out of Yew...it would be EXACTLY the same as making a weapon with a say DC hammer.An Oak runic tool would say be EXACTLY the same as say a shadow hammer.On our interface we see a funky runic tool,but the server just sees a runic hammer that will only work on bows.

If you had 8 types of string enhancements...and 8 runic (WOOD) tools...couldnt they just use the same system that is used to figure out smithy stuff.

Now I might be way off,but it seems reasonable to me...this does however bring in the development of a system for bowyers to get the runics.That is a whole other story..thanks for your time

A

Abrielle

Well I've always wanted to DP arrows! But enhancement of bows with differing kinds of woods is an interesting concept, perhaps worth mentioning to dev team.

T

Tracks

one thing I forgot, when an arrow misses , it should go on the monsters corpse rather then fall on the floor... its annoying seeing tons of arrows everywhere you go lying on the ground.
BTW you better read this because I died when writing it lol

K

Krenom

well bugger me, i actually read all 8 pages lol! :p

u know how special this thread is? i actually signed up just to reply to it lol!

well, first off, i recon there's the first 3 things to sort out first as EVERYONE else agrees with:

the CRASHING!!!! *cries*
the having to stand still while firing....
and finally the crappy aiming of the 'oobar archwhores'

1) the high level misses i think would be easy to fix (formula change perhaps?)

2) the crashing would probly take a while to find out why it's arsing up, after that, shouldn't be too long to fix! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

3) the having to stand still... again, that *shouldn't* take too long to change.... so far i recon u'd be lookin at like 2 weeks tops of coding (depending on the skill of the coders...) (ok, not being a coder as such i wouldn't know, but i've done crap ass programming and have had to fix bugs in meh programs!)

4) then we have the runic fletching tools, which lots of ppl wanna see, me too actually, it'd be kewl! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

this.. well.. this shouldn't take more than a few hours... all u have to do for the coding part is *copy and paste*!!
rofl... after that its just a case of chaging the certain things (such as dull copper hammer to dull coper fletching tools). either way, it's doing the same thing, just to a different wep! even that shouldn't matter as the abilities iven to a wep have absolutely nuthin to do with what weapon it is!
(what does luck have to do with *just* a mace?? or dci with *just* a sword? or ssi with *just* a spear?? all they do is, (ie with dam inc), increase the damage done by the weapon by that percentage! if u have 30% dam inc on a war mace... it's still only 30% dam inc wether its on a dagger or a lance!)

5) then you have the diff wood types.. this would be a bit more of an arse to program.. tho again could be shortened with some copying and pasting of the mining code, adapted to trees (instead of mountain sides or cave floors) to give the diff woods as opposed to the diff ores! perhaps 2 -3 weeks of proggy-ing!
(with this, you could also have an axe version of the gargoils picks.. the 'fluffy squirrle axe'.. u chop a tree and out pops.. *dum dum dum* a fluffy squirrel!)

i am personally against the diff woods *for the moment* as its not likely to be put in in a hurry! sure, it'd be great to have, but that would take moer time to code and stuff! i think in the mean time they should have as someone suggested, different tips that do different damage! tho not as expensive as they said!
2 ingots for one arrow head? do u have any idea how small an arrowhead is compaired to an ingot?!?! u should get the same as u get shafts from logs (5, which again is relatively simple to put in), so from one log and one ingot u can get 5 arrows! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif)

6) as for poisoning them, again, i spose relatively simple, perhaps a week max of coding... not hard at all, though you could cut down teh time, and formula's haveing to be made, by using poison potions to give the different level strengths! (to make it even more simple, one potion for each pile of arrows (i.e. use a greater poison potion on ur lurvly pile of 500 arrows and ta da, u have 500 greater poison arrows!))

7) next: the quivererer.... i think that's a great idea, simply put! :p
i have an archer mage, and one time while out in fel got ganked! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif knocked me off my horse and before i could get off more than 2 shots and a lurvly corp por, i was dead.. ressed in about 30 secs (next to a healer) and couldn't do jack! no regs, no arrows, no nuthin! so the guy that i got the hits on walked off with no more than 15 hp, which one more arrow wuolda taken care of! but i couldn't....)

i don't agree with it being beefed up by leather tho.. i think perhaps tailors (gm+) should be able to make them, and make em out of diff leathers to give the diff abilities and what not, then perhaps add in something for the gm smiths to add to them: nice fancey *minor* additions like a swirl of metal round it (or some elaborate pattern), to give it an extra little boost! or summin

i also agree that it should replace the sash (as well, thats where a quiver is usually worn, on your back with the strap across ur chest (don't u ppl watch legolas in LotR?!? :p)) so as its on your back, it could technically be described as minor armour for your back (just justifying any resistances n stuff u can get)!!

(my god i've typed a lot.........)

8) now for the shield: *hmmm* is all i can say to that... i would love to be able to have a shield as i've recently been reaquainted with the love of the parry skill! :p
ofc it could/should be nothing more than the crap-ass thingeh that u strap to ur arm, but at least its something!

and yes, i don't think archers have BOTH hands on the bow AT ALL TIMES, so you should be able to have potions n stuff with the free hand that is free, like, the other few seconds when its not pulling back the string for the 1/2 a second be4 it's fired!

think i've more or less stated my views on all ppl have said...

9) oo, cept the butts... hehe.. butts (yes, i know there's an e at the end of em)
i personally couldn't care less... (well, not atm anyway), thats more of a kewl ass little add-on, not summin that ppl overly need (such as moving while shooting or the crash bug fixed) or need in order to make archery a generally better skill...

10) and oh yeah... the fletching skill dam inc.. i dont' think you should really have that either, as it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with 'firing' the actual weapon (tho granted, it can be argued that it does, but after all the fixes that *will* (remaining optimistic here) be done, archery will be fine without the minor extra damage increase!

11) and also (my god u ppl brought up a lot of stuff..), the BODS.. that can't really be put in till u have everything really, the diff woods and perhaps the arrow tips too... (i.e. an lbod for like '15 excep yew comp bows, 500 each tip arrows' or summin...)!

12) what else can i find..... *flicks back*.... ah yuss, the other wep type thingy should you lose ur arrows (some1 mentioned it like a mage wep or summin), how about if you have no arrows, you can thwak ppl round the head with the bow itself??
this would mean 2 diff swing speeds... one for with arrows, and one for when you giving ppl rope burn! (thus also 2 diff damages).
i.e. xbow wep speed 20 summin, damage 30 summin as well (with arrows). xbow wep speed 30 summin, damage 15 or so (without arrows, goin up and bashing them).
or for comp bow: (current stats for arrows), then without arrows like 40 wep speed, 10 damage or summin!

either way u gotta have the archers summin to fall back on!

*flicks back some more*

13) what a great number to finish on! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif i can't really think of much else to say for any of it (well, until i remember summin else).... spose i'll have a finishing sentence of 'they better sort it all out soon.. that'll just kick ass', actually, i don't want that as my finishing sentence... i wana finishing word instead... and here it is:

rah

Elaysia

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have read it over and over again and I'll have to agree, we need enhancements, fletching runics. I think the idea with the trees with different wood is a very good idea, as he said if it's feasible. Different arrows and bolts, not having to wait for the hit of the arrow.

Also, using different colored feathers to make different kinds
of arrows, kind of like the ingot thing, but like poison, fire, ect... makes a nice
sound would be cool with some graphics, just an added little coolness, like paladines have for their weaps and such.....

Elaysia

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
oh yeah, forgot I agrees on damage increase and the free hand....Great Idea's everyone, hope the main ones we keep agreeing on make it one day...=)

J

Jim Crownguard

I am just tired of standing there after the arrow is fired. This is so stupid.

G

<font color=blue>&gt;&gt;a) "No, the way the trees are coded will not allow them to be modified" </font color=blue>

Not that I'm a member of the Dev Team or have any knowledge of their coding, but having been around when ore when from iron only to different sorts, I would guess the concept of trees versus colored wood is both impossible and easy to do.

Impossible, because as far as trees go, they are only an access point to the underlying resource grid. As far as resources go, there is no difference between the types of trees. If a fir yields the logs, the oak next to it will not. If next time you pass by and get logs from the oak, the fir will be unable to yield.

Easy, because the diffent woods could be coded into the grids. That means there would be regional variation. A fir, oak, or whatever may all yield one type of wood in the same area (depending on what you gathered the logs from), and those same trees would yield a different type elsewhere.

Darkholme

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Not that I'm a member of the Dev Team or have any knowledge of their coding, but having been around when ore when from iron only to different sorts, I would guess the concept of trees versus colored wood is both impossible and easy to do.

Impossible, because as far as trees go, they are only an access point to the underlying resource grid. As far as resources go, there is no difference between the types of trees. If a fir yields the logs, the oak next to it will not. If next time you pass by and get logs from the oak, the fir will be unable to yield.

Easy, because the diffent woods could be coded into the grids. That means there would be regional variation. A fir, oak, or whatever may all yield one type of wood in the same area (depending on what you gathered the logs from), and those same trees would yield a different type elsewhere."

The most brain-dead easy way to do this is change the tree resource squares on each facet to a particular wood type. There are six facets if you count T2A Trammel and Felucca seperate from regular Trammel and Felucca, so that would allow for six different types of wood... or you could use that method to make just four, using Trammel, Felucca, Ilshenar and Malas... Easy assuming that they could just do an entire facets worth of tree resource squares in one broad stroke... who knows? /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif