• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PvP Balancing Proposal 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Cross-posted on uo forums, but that doesn't seem to receive the same visibility.

These are things I would propose:

1. Magical fish pies reducing damaged by 5 is a very overpowered thing right now, especially when stacked on refined resists. Disallow the effect of the fish pie resist buffs in pvp, or from player damage. Alternatively at minimum, do not allow a magic fish pie to be eaten if your resists are altered via refinements, though preference would be to just make them only useful for pvm. The reduced damage is just too much in the grand scheme. Refinements force you to make the decision to worsen your defense chance, pies have no negative and are better. Another alternative would be damage taken in any other elemental resist besides the pie eaten resist, would be much greater damage. A consumable of this nature, this powerful with no negative is not good.

2. Reduce evasion % max by 25% and scale, or at least in pvp, make evasion cut damage in half rather than evade all damage entirely.

3 Raise pet base damage slightly for non casting ability pets. Pets were nerfed hard, deservedly so. Pete that have no ability to cast, breath fire breaths, or poison breaths should have a very very slight bump in base damage. Pets with ranged ability need nothing to continue to be effective.

4. fukiya/shuriken timer between uses should be based on the player, not the belt/gun.

5. Shatter potions are just a troll tactic, stealthers just run around throwing shatter potions to break potions and run away. Reduce the amount of potions a shatter pot can shatter significantly, and or, create a negative to throwing them (ie, you become paralyzed for 5 seconds after throwing the potion)

If i were to state order of importance.

others are just suggestions

Last edited:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Cross-posted on uo forums, but that doesn't seem to receive the same visibility.

1. Splinter should not proc on special abilities if the weapon has spell channeling. This would make it so it can proc on base hits for a tank mage, but more dexer centric where it would proc for dexers in special abilities besides disarm. Dexers today really need splinter, and for tank mages it feels like too much. Alternatively make this based off of casting skill amount. I am happy with this if it doesn't get altered, but I thought with some players seeking nerfs to splinter, this would be better than an outright redo. Another case could be made for splintering effect to have an immunity period after proc, or the bleed effect not cause disruption

2. Magical fish pies reducing damaged by 5 is a very overpowered thing right now, especially when stacked on refined resists. Disallow the effect of the fish pie resist buffs in pvp, or from player damage. Alternatively at minimum, do not allow a magic fish pie to be eaten if your resists are altered via refinements, though preference would be to just make them only useful for pvm. The reduced damage is just too much in the grand scheme. Refinements force you to make the decision to worsen your defense chance, pies have no negative and are better. Another alternative would be damage taken in any other elemental resist besides the pie eaten resist, would be much greater damage. A consumable of this nature, this powerful with no negative is not good.

3. Reduce evasion % max by 25% and scale, or at least in pvp, make evasion cut damage in half rather than evade all damage entirely.

4. Raise pet base damage slightly for non casting ability pets. Pets were nerfed hard, deservedly so. Pete that have no ability to cast, breath fire breaths, or poison breaths should have a very very slight bump in base damage. Pets with ranged ability need nothing to continue to be effective.

5. fukiya/shuriken timer between uses should be based on the player, not the belt/gun.

6. Shatter potions are just a troll tactic, stealthers just run around throwing shatter potions to break potions and run away. Reduce the amount of potions a shatter pot can shatter significantly, and or, create a negative to throwing them (ie, you become paralyzed for 5 seconds after throwing the potion)

From a pvm perspective I really wouldn't have any issues with these adjustments as long as #3 effects only pvp and not pvm.

Effort

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Splinter needs some sort of adjusting, pets don't need a buff, shatter pots breaking less is fine since pots weigh more but you can't para for a timer

Akiho

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

1. Splinter should not proc on special abilities if the weapon has spell channeling. This would make it so it can proc on base hits for a tank mage, but more dexer centric where it would proc for dexers in special abilities besides disarm. Dexers today really need splinter, and for tank mages it feels like too much. Alternatively make this based off of casting skill amount. I am happy with this if it doesn't get altered, but I thought with some players seeking nerfs to splinter, this would be better than an outright redo. Another case could be made for splintering effect to have an immunity period after proc, or the bleed effect not cause disruption

2. Magical fish pies reducing damaged by 5 is a very overpowered thing right now, especially when stacked on refined resists. Disallow the effect of the fish pie resist buffs in pvp, or from player damage. Alternatively at minimum, do not allow a magic fish pie to be eaten if your resists are altered via refinements, though preference would be to just make them only useful for pvm. The reduced damage is just too much in the grand scheme. Refinements force you to make the decision to worsen your defense chance, pies have no negative and are better. Another alternative would be damage taken in any other elemental resist besides the pie eaten resist, would be much greater damage. A consumable of this nature, this powerful with no negative is not good.

3. Reduce evasion % max by 25% and scale, or at least in pvp, make evasion cut damage in half rather than evade all damage entirely.

4. Raise pet base damage slightly for non casting ability pets. Pets were nerfed hard, deservedly so. Pete that have no ability to cast, breath fire breaths, or poison breaths should have a very very slight bump in base damage. Pets with ranged ability need nothing to continue to be effective.

5. fukiya/shuriken timer between uses should be based on the player, not the belt/gun.

6. Shatter potions are just a troll tactic, stealthers just run around throwing shatter potions to break potions and run away. Reduce the amount of potions a shatter pot can shatter significantly, and or, create a negative to throwing them (ie, you become paralyzed for 5 seconds after throwing the potion)

1. Splinter should never have been introduced, take it away it has no 'real' purpose. PvP was fine without it.

2. Fish pies are a work around. The true nature of the problem is people running around with all 75's non meddable armour with legendary artifacts regening mana like there is no tomorrow. ie. loot drops are waaaay over powered. This is truly f*cked now and probably irrecoverable.

3. Evasion is not spammmable, has a long CD (maybe make it longer for PvP?). I'd put it in the same realm as Hiding/Smoke bombing, gets you out of the sh*t but not forever.

4. Yup, all for this, they were hit hard.

5. /Shrugs never cared much for the ninja nonsense, fil yer boots.

6. Shatter potions are stupid and should be removed, who came up with that sh*te anyway?!?

I'll leave it at that, goodnight

Effort

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Evasion is fine it has a 20s cooldown now.

I agree that loot is busted , but the only people running around in non med armor are in hilariously bad big guilds. You still need a fairly reliable Regen, as a small group, check the calculator out

Nerfing invis items and not smoke bomb is wrong.

Make these people run resist, for the love of marginally respectable pvp, make these people run resist. Foundational skills.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
#1) Splintering Weapon for Casters: Sure, splintering is OP A F when combined with certain specials (and btw, Disarm wasn't one of them) when Mages use it. I think it should be tied more to the skills of the user instead of whether or not the weapon is spell-channeling though. However, either option would be better than leaving it alone.

#2) Fish Pies (and other Buff Foods): I'm of the opinion buffs from food shouldn't have an effect in pvp. this combined with refinements (75 resistances), you could essentially be immune to a specific damage type for 2 minutes or until the buff is purged. Never should have been allowed in pvp to begin with.

#3) Evasion: , I don't think it's necessary to change Evasion at all, unless it's a slight buff to players that don't have the Parry skill. Besides, it sounds like with the suggested change, Evasion wouldn't be able to proc reactive paralyze anymore. That's no fun, especially when mages can chug potions and gain benefits of it without sacrificing offense.

#4) Pet vs Player Damage Reduction: I've posted about this a few times -50% pet vs player damage reduction is a little much. 30% wasn't enough, -40% should be fine, but I still think it should be -8%/occupied follower slot, which would equate to -40% at 5/5 followers regardless of how many pet(s) are under the control of the tamer. because it would treat combinations of weaker pets more fairly, instead of it being a flat -40% across the board. This Pet vs Player damage reduction should also be carried over to Summons as well, spell & item-based summons. which could then be "buffed" in pvm without breaking pvp any further.

#5) Darts & Stars: I agree.

#6) Shatter Potions: As annoying as they can be, I have the opposite opinion on this one... Personally, I think shatter potions should gain benefit from Enhance Potions allowing them to break up to 50% more potions, in addition, the user should be able to select from a context menu a priority list of which potions to break first. Although, I do think there should be a 30 second immunity timer to a person being hit by a shatter potion, so that groups can't just shatter the same target once for each player they have. - Yes, I'm aware that cure potions would be the first ones to go every single time, why? Poisoning Skill... fix it. Mr Magoo saw the problem on the first day poisoning was buffed (again).

leet

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
#1) Splintering Weapon for Casters: Sure, splintering is OP A F when combined with certain specials (and btw, Disarm wasn't one of them) when Mages use it. I think it should be tied more to the skills of the user instead of whether or not the weapon is spell-channeling though. However, either option would be better than leaving it alone.

#2) Fish Pies (and other Buff Foods): I'm of the opinion buffs from food shouldn't have an effect in pvp. this combined with refinements (75 resistances), you could essentially be immune to a specific damage type for 2 minutes or until the buff is purged. Never should have been allowed in pvp to begin with.

#3) Evasion: , I don't think it's necessary to change Evasion at all, unless it's a slight buff to players that don't have the Parry skill. Besides, it sounds like with the suggested change, Evasion wouldn't be able to proc reactive paralyze anymore. That's no fun, especially when mages can chug potions and gain benefits of it without sacrificing offense.

#4) Pet vs Player Damage Reduction: I've posted about this a few times -50% pet vs player damage reduction is a little much. 30% wasn't enough, -40% should be fine, but I still think it should be -8%/occupied follower slot, which would equate to -40% at 5/5 followers regardless of how many pet(s) are under the control of the tamer. because it would treat combinations of weaker pets more fairly, instead of it being a flat -40% across the board. This Pet vs Player damage reduction should also be carried over to Summons as well, spell & item-based summons. which could then be "buffed" in pvm without breaking pvp any further.

#5) Darts & Stars: I agree.

#6) Shatter Potions: As annoying as they can be, I have the opposite opinion on this one... Personally, I think shatter potions should gain benefit from Enhance Potions allowing them to break up to 50% more potions, in addition, the user should be able to select from a context menu a priority list of which potions to break first. Although, I do think there should be a 30 second immunity timer to a person being hit by a shatter potion, so that groups can't just shatter the same target once for each player they have. - Yes, I'm aware that cure potions would be the first ones to go every single time, why? Poisoning Skill... fix it. Mr Magoo saw the problem on the first day poisoning was buffed (again).

1. How can you say disarm proc with splinter wasn't the most OP of all the specials?

6. Nothing of your opinion on shatter potions holds any merit, they are literally counter productive to pvp and none other than a trolling tactic.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1. How can you say disarm proc with splinter wasn't the most OP of all the specials?
I can say that because it was easy to survive, even when compared to things like DP+Splinter.... Dexers are easy to heal through in almost every situation...(not even factoring parry) the only time it gets truly difficult is when you're outnumbered, or you're taking damage from multiple sources whether it be pets, pvm etc etc. You'd have to play a mage to understand... personally, I don't know if you play a mage or not. I always see you on an archer. Oh, and to further assist my argument, at the time the disarm/splinter change was made (publish 96), there weren't any f**king mages that could even be disarmed.... they were all Wrestle/Anatomy Parry-mages, and all of them would have continued to stick with Wrestle/Anatomy/Parry, if SDI didn't drop from focus spec. Hell, since mages can gain damage equal or greater through a weapon skill than what they would lose by dropping from 25-20% SDI, it doesn't surprise me at all that there are several Nerve-mages around with parry. surprising? not in the slightest.

6. Nothing of your opinion on shatter potions holds any merit, they are literally counter productive to pvp and none other than a trolling tactic.
It holds a lot of merit when you expose the blatant and very heavy reliance on consumable items by today's "pvpers".... People don't want to pvp if they're out of a "consumable", it enables them to lose a fight. I'm well aware of how it works. Most "pvpers" (some could argue, even the Devs as well) are in denial, it's the same thing that's going on with "illegal" program use. You know it's true.... if it wasn't we wouldn't be talking about shatter potions. and there'd be many more discussions about illegal programs, but there aren't... at least not by the "Pvpers".

Anyway, I use shatter potions so I can kill people faster, a player without potions is an easy kill most of the time.

it must really irk you being hit by a shatter pot far away from a place to restock.... sounds like it'd be annoying A F.

Gorath

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I think that fish pies need to be fixed.

I think that shatter pots are garbage, would love to see them go

Pets don't need a buff.

Hiding/Stealth is annoying AF. Smoke bombs are brutal to just disappear...

Death Strike damage could use a slight reduction.

Mages that are "pure" aka don't have myst/spellweave/necro could maybe use a bump in their arsenal or abilities. What about if those mages were able to get to 3/6 casting? Higher SDI Cap?

In the interest of seeing more templates or weapons used, what about defaulting the extra damage people get from lumberjacking into the axes without needing the skill? This way LJ becomes strictly a crafting/resource gathering skill.

What about making weapons like warhammers or halberds slightly faster so they are more viable pvp weapons?

Maybe look into giving Humans and Gargoyles more default resist caps that are higher? Gargoyles get 75% poison resist? Humans get an extra 5% physical resist on their caps?

Do the weapon masteries still provide a chance to resist disarming? That would be good if that's the case still.

Specials able to be toggled while casting? At the very least have wrestling specials able to do this.

Make double swing guaranteed to hit twice?

I am just throwing out ideas at this point.

Last edited:

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

1. I don't have an issue with Splinter in itself. It's what comes straight after, which is usually a dismount/gank by 3 dexxers. I wouldn't adjust it for one class and not another - thats the straight off definition of inbalance. I would remove dismount personally, it would keep everyone on their feet, able to move, be more fluid. Being turned into a sitting duck is the worst way to go, the least fun. Splinter in itself, slowing someone down, is no problem for me. Splinter with all the additional specials, yes is a huge problem.

2. Again, I don't have an issue with Magical Fish pies, I don't use them, I loot them off my enemies, and store them, maybe one day I'll use them. I'm guessing they are very hard to get? If so, it is fair enough if players have gone to the effort of getting them - it boosts the gathering/craft role towards PvP - which is the whole point of game progression. If they have just been duped, and are flooding the PvP scene, then yes, you could argue there is an issue. I don't see them in such huge quantities.

3. Again, not really having an issue with Evasion. It's usable on all classes, it is powerful I agree.

4.I'm good with raising Pet damage. I personally never wanted them nerfed in the first place, didn't see the point. To me,a Pet can almost never be a threat in PvP.

5.Can't comment on this, I don't know how they work. Never used one.

6. I'm going to surprise you here. I think Shatter potions are a very valid troll tactic. Players are out there, carrying way too many potions and consumables. Shatter potions help redress this. If shatter potions were to be removed, I'd argue for potions themselves, to be double the weight they are currently, or something. I sometimes loot people with 80+ used potions on them. I just feel that is too many, to have to wear someone down with 50+ poison spells, is a bit insane.

So many of those issues, don't really seem to bother me.

* I think what bothers me the most, is the sheer speed Dexxers can run, dismount, in the blink of an eye, they are certainly using programs for this, or scripts, it is not possible to be that fast, and that speed, just ruins a fight for me.

{For the record, I'm a spellweaver (main), or pure scribe mage, or mystic parry, or samurai macer currently}.

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1. I don't have an issue with Splinter in itself. It's what comes straight after, which is usually a dismount/gank by 3 dexxers. I wouldn't adjust it for one class and not another - thats the straight off definition of inbalance. I would remove dismount personally, it would keep everyone on their feet, able to move, be more fluid. Being turned into a sitting duck is the worst way to go, the least fun. Splinter in itself, slowing someone down, is no problem for me. Splinter with all the additional specials, yes is a huge problem.

2. Again, I don't have an issue with Magical Fish pies, I don't use them, I loot them off my enemies, and store them, maybe one day I'll use them. I'm guessing they are very hard to get? If so, it is fair enough if players have gone to the effort of getting them - it boosts the gathering/craft role towards PvP - which is the whole point of game progression. If they have just been duped, and are flooding the PvP scene, then yes, you could argue there is an issue. I don't see them in such huge quantities.

3. Again, not really having an issue with Evasion. It's usable on all classes, it is powerful I agree.

4.I'm good with raising Pet damage. I personally never wanted them nerfed in the first place, didn't see the point. To me,a Pet can almost never be a threat in PvP.

5.Can't comment on this, I don't know how they work. Never used one.

6. I'm going to surprise you here. I think Shatter potions are a very valid troll tactic. Players are out there, carrying way too many potions and consumables. Shatter potions help redress this. If shatter potions were to be removed, I'd argue for potions themselves, to be double the weight they are currently, or something. I sometimes loot people with 80+ used potions on them. I just feel that is too many, to have to wear someone down with 50+ poison spells, is a bit insane.

So many of those issues, don't really seem to bother me.

* I think what bothers me the most, is the sheer speed Dexxers can run, dismount, in the blink of an eye, they are certainly using programs for this, or scripts, it is not possible to be that fast, and that speed, just ruins a fight for me.

{For the record, I'm a spellweaver (main), or pure scribe mage, or mystic parry, or samurai macer currently}.

I don't think you see the usage of pies as heavily because you main a low pop shard. On Atlantic everyone carries them.

If shatter potions were used only as a tactic to weaken the enemy during fights, they'd be annoying but you could make some cases. However they are not. They are used by stealthers that run around, their only goal being to break ur pots and laugh about it to cause you to restock. They are purely a troll tactic and have been since inception.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Whoever designed splinter was a moron. You designed an unresistable sleep/bleed for 0 mana. It never should of been implemented in the first place. I digress..it was. Now fixing it will alienate half the people left. I think a simple solution would be to make the effect removable with apples or remove curse. Or remove the force walk and increase the bleed tick damage. When you start getting into immunity for X amount of seconds, no one will ever be happy.

Fire pies I don’t have a big opinion on. They should be useful because let’s face it, Fisher/cooks don’t really have much else going for them. I think they should add more pies with cooler effects. But resist pies should be capped at the 70 to 75. You shouldnt be able to have 80 Resist or more.

As for pets, nerf them more..they shouldn’t be involved in pvp at all

Shatter pots are super trolly..i love to stealth around and be the most annoying I can be. Another case of bad implementation as always. They don’t really have a play in pvp tbh. Just set them to be like explosion pots. 2 second timer, not heat seeking. Or keep them and bring back heat seeking explosion potions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think you see the usage of pies as heavily because you main a low pop shard. On Atlantic everyone carries them.

If shatter potions were used only as a tactic to weaken the enemy during fights, they'd be annoying but you could make some cases. However they are not. They are used by stealthers that run around, their only goal being to break ur pots and laugh about it to cause you to restock. They are purely a troll tactic and have been since inception.
Maybe on the pies.
I am/was on Europa though, 2nd main PvP shard, if not the main, and I do pop over to Atlantic, they seem average over there. ;)

The shatter potions - yes I agree they are used heavily as a troll tactic.
My guild are heavy perpetrators though, and they have a lot of fun doing it, so I'd be hypocritical if I was against it. :)
It's Felucca, trolling can be a thing, it can wind people up, create a better vibe for PvP, etc. etc.
Added to this, maybe players are carrying and relying too much on consumables, and this helps fight that syndrome.

quovadis

Visitor
Stratics Veteran

1-i do not see any problem with a mage who has a armed splintering. plus with some special like dismount, focus attack but it should have a timer and healing should heal and remove splintering
2- I see only one problem is that even with a dimunition dci. there is no real benefit to a melee or archer because of parrying. so yes the advantage of the pie makes op
3-i complete agree with in pvp
4-sound good because now they are slow and useless
5-sound good
6-just remove it and everyone will be happy
7-nether cyclone should splitting the damage in pvp
8-dismount from a no-dachi should ave to heal just the amount of the first hit

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With so many different player styles in pvp, those so called balance is just giving a certain pvp template an edge to win the fight. Losers will show up and complain again. There is no value added.

Chap

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Disagree with this one.
People run around as huge kegs of potions these days, thinking surviving is a win. Running around with 50 each potion creates way too much running in pvp, these potions help alot.
Also the potions cost silver points to be aquired, which limits the ammout of usage.

if anything these potions need to be buFFed, destroying even more potions!

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Consumables is a issue in pvp, too many pots and things like fish pies. Shatters were put in to help with this problem and are fine. Only other way to fix this issue is to either add a cooldown to every potion (including cure and refresh) or have a maximum pot carry number (like 30-40). The game should be more skill related not whether or not you can bypass skills by using consumables. I mean most of this doesn't matter anyway until they crack down on the illegal program use. Stop with the RUN, CHUG, KILL pvp, its not helping the game at all.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. Splinter shouldn't proc with specials for anyone. It should proc on non special swings if they are keeping the stupid ability in game.

2. I can take it or leave it on this one.

3. I would like to see a change to evasion as well. Maybe % chance to reduce damage in half or by 3/4 instead of full. Or instead, up the timer. A 20 second timer when you can evade for 8 seconds means a 12 second timer. That means if you jam your button whenever you can evade you can be evading 60% of spells 40% of the time. That is insane. If the timer started at the end of the evasion that would make a lot more sense.

4. Pets never belonged in pvp imo. keep damage where it is.

5. The action timer is fine.

6. Anyone who think shatter pots are useful don't actually pvp. It stalls pvp. It should shatter a set amount of pots (like 5) and/or have a shatter timer shield. If anyone thinks it isn't a troll tactic or that it helps pvp... they do not pvp on the largest pvp shard (ya know, the people who know what they are talkin about).

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Theres a mush easier fix to evasion. The issue is people using it with 4/6 chiv characters, so just add bushido to break 4/6 casting. Case closed.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@PaithanTheElf

The action timer is most definitely not fine on shurikens/fukiyas lol

There's a reason a 5 second delay between uses was implemented in the first place. People are spamming it on 1 second timer by bypassing the build in timer utilizing multiple belts/guns as you know.

leet

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Disagree with this one.
People run around as huge kegs of potions these days, thinking surviving is a win. Running around with 50 each potion creates way too much running in pvp, these potions help alot.
Also the potions cost silver points to be aquired, which limits the ammout of usage.

if anything these potions need to be buFFed, destroying even more potions!

Nobody carries kegs of potions, potions have been an important part of pvp for 10 + years, only a select few (less than 1 % ) of pvpers think potions are the problem, shatters dont cost silver they are magically poofed into the air endlessly with barrel sponges.. next point please

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL, less then 5 percent of the original pvpers in UO still play. Pvp is almost completely gone in UO. Noone on the dev team cares to fix anything pvp related. The constant power creep over the past 5-7 years has destroyed pvp to the point it may never recover. First thing that needs to happen is stop all the illegal client programs, then start adding solid hard caps to a lot of things in game. Things like 200 stamina cap, 750 skill cap, mana hard cap, resists hard cap, etc etc. I remember when you had to really time up your specials in pvp, nowadays you can just spam it and never run out of mana, its just stupid. Which reminds me, remove all bonuses from armor types like lmc, 55 lmc shouldn't be a thing. remove refinements they were a bad idea, remove splintering or nerf it to oblivion. So many things are so broken and will most likely never be fixed so the pvp will just get worse until no one even bothers. I could go on and on with other things but I just don't really care to try to help when itll never change for the better.

jopromol

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2- when I'm bored, I use my 120 fisherman, fish for an hour or two using bait and gather the fish I need to make pies. Log onto my GM cook, travel what feels like 20mins to the floating emporium, sit for hours waiting for the guy to stock up Samael Sauce and Mento Seasoning... head back to my home. Craft up as many pies as I can and ship them off to Atlantic to PvP with. Takes an entire evening when I'd rather be doing other things. For my trime, I'd like to continue to use them in PvP :p

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL, less then 5 percent of the original pvpers in UO still play. Pvp is almost completely gone in UO. Noone on the dev team cares to fix anything pvp related. The constant power creep over the past 5-7 years has destroyed pvp to the point it may never recover. First thing that needs to happen is stop all the illegal client programs, then start adding solid hard caps to a lot of things in game. Things like 200 stamina cap, 750 skill cap, mana hard cap, resists hard cap, etc etc. I remember when you had to really time up your specials in pvp, nowadays you can just spam it and never run out of mana, its just stupid. Which reminds me, remove all bonuses from armor types like lmc, 55 lmc shouldn't be a thing. remove refinements they were a bad idea, remove splintering or nerf it to oblivion. So many things are so broken and will most likely never be fixed so the pvp will just get worse until no one even bothers. I could go on and on with other things but I just don't really care to try to help when itll never change for the better.
So you just want them to undo all the previous years work? :coco:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
2- when I'm bored, I use my 120 fisherman, fish for an hour or two using bait and gather the fish I need to make pies. Log onto my GM cook, travel what feels like 20mins to the floating emporium, sit for hours waiting for the guy to stock up Samael Sauce and Mento Seasoning... head back to my home. Craft up as many pies as I can and ship them off to Atlantic to PvP with. Takes an entire evening when I'd rather be doing other things. For my trime, I'd like to continue to use them in PvP :p

Then I loot them and sit on my stockpile :p

Kidding, but seriously. They suck.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sick burn...coming from a guy who dies to me the few times i see him. You really know your mechanics.
I die to you? maybe if you have others helping you, the only thing you have going for you, is you're hard to kill. Of course, when you play a refined (75 resist) Healing-Parry mage with fish pies, you should be hard to kill.... so sorry to say, it's not like you need to be good or anything with that template/setup... you're overly defensive and you barely play without anyone from your guild running alongside you.

You don't need to tell me that I know my mechanics, but thanks. :D

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I die to you? maybe if you have others helping you, the only thing you have going for you, is you're hard to kill. Of course, when you play a refined (75 resist) Healing-Parry mage with fish pies, you should be hard to kill.... so sorry to say, it's not like you need to be good or anything with that template/setup... you're overly defensive and you barely play without anyone from your guild running alongside you.

You don't need to tell me that I know my mechanics, but thanks. :D
Whenever i have fought gurads you sure end up dead or running away 1v1, bud. You shouldn't die to a char with that much defense now should ya? But you managed. And if you'd ever like to lose more, let me know. Feel free to use that template that you don't need to be good at. I bet it will end up how when you bet someone on stratics that you wouldnt lose when corpse dropped them to 45 poison and you did. lolz. Mechanics master!

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Whenever i have fought gurads you sure end up dead or running away 1v1, bud. You shouldn't die to a char with that much defense now should ya? But you managed. And if you'd ever like to lose more, let me know. Feel free to use that template that you don't need to be good at. I bet it will end up how when you bet someone on stratics that you wouldnt lose when corpse dropped them to 45 poison and you did. lolz. Mechanics master!
I did say the guy killed me on TC during the thread you're referring too, it wasn't you, btw. but since you brought it up... I didn't mention the fact I was playing at 1/3 casting, because there was no governor's for the FC1 buff at the time, and the guy obviously lied about his template relying on the FC1 buff because he was an alchy-NS/DS, not to mention the guy smokebombed and stealthed for well over 80% of the fight (if you want to call it that) and I felt like I was doing a champ-spawn killing off all of his orc brutes I'd say at least 9 of them - lol. the guy didn't want to arena me, and if he had arena'd me smokebombs hiding/stealth wouldn't have saved him at all, but it wasn't important so I didn't feel it was necessary to mention it as because I and others have provided enough valid points & related information to get Curse & Corpse skin stacks fixed. I was also one of the first people to post in favor of nerfing Corpse Skin & Curse from stacking even though I had a template that could abuse it. Oddly enough, the guy you're talking about was against Curse & Corpse was being fixed... funny how that works, isn't it?

to further my point... do you really think an Alchy-NS/DS template would have a chance, when your own guildie as DP/Disarm-archer went into the Arena with me on a real shard (atlantic) and lost to a guy (me) with 10 DCI & no parry? I mean, he landed a disarm at the very beginning of the fight.... to make things worse, he (DJ Diddles) made excuses and then attacked me out of the arena just to lose again in a 'field fight' that, coincidentally, was over faster than the in-arena fight.... I can screenshot the arena records, if needed.

Anyway, I'm shocked that you actually brought that whole thing up, it tells that you care about who potentially beats me more than I do. lol I didn't deny he beat me btw, I just didn't lay out the eciding factors as to why he beat me. Besides, I've killed people that are much more skilled than you (after they fixed the 'curse/corpse - stack), on so several occasions, with just about every pvp-template I've ever played.

As far as that particular template, I played that character for like ~6 months between Atl, LS & GL, and I've always played pretty much every 'mage' I have much more often during that time and still do because everyone I fight then and now has parry... I mean, It's counter productive to be a dexer under those circumstances, wouldn't you agree? (Normally, you should.. but in this case) No, you wouldn't because you're a parry mage. I don't enjoy sticking with one template to extended periods of time, I get bored with it. (which is why I was advocating for nerfs to some/all of the most powerful skills & combinations with them) you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Anyway, all this for a disagreement over shatter potions? There seems to be a big fear around nerfing consumables (or buffing shatter potions, which coincidentally is used to remove a portion of consumables from a fight...Go f***ing figure?) is somehow going to make pvp too difficult for you, that you don't think you could handle it? -it's just speculation, but to me, it's looking truer with every post.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did say the guy killed me on TC during the thread you're referring too, it wasn't you, btw. but since you brought it up... I didn't mention the fact I was playing at 1/3 casting, because there was no governor's for the FC1 buff at the time, and the guy obviously lied about his template relying on the FC1 buff because he was an alchy-NS/DS, not to mention the guy smokebombed and stealthed for well over 80% of the fight (if you want to call it that) and I felt like I was doing a champ-spawn killing off all of his orc brutes I'd say at least 9 of them - lol. the guy didn't want to arena me, and if he had arena'd me smokebombs hiding/stealth wouldn't have saved him at all, but it wasn't important so I didn't feel it was necessary to mention it as because I and others have provided enough valid points & related information to get Curse & Corpse skin stacks fixed. I was also one of the first people to post in favor of nerfing Corpse Skin & Curse from stacking even though I had a template that could abuse it. Oddly enough, the guy you're talking about was against Curse & Corpse was being fixed... funny how that works, isn't it?

to further my point... do you really think an Alchy-NS/DS template would have a chance, when your own guildie as DP/Disarm-archer went into the Arena with me on a real shard (atlantic) and lost to a guy (me) with 10 DCI & no parry? I mean, he landed a disarm at the very beginning of the fight.... to make things worse, he (DJ Diddles) made excuses and then attacked me out of the arena just to lose again in a 'field fight' that, coincidentally, was over faster than the in-arena fight.... I can screenshot the arena records, if needed.

Anyway, I'm shocked that you actually brought that whole thing up, it tells that you care about who potentially beats me more than I do. lol I didn't deny he beat me btw, I just didn't lay out the eciding factors as to why he beat me. Besides, I've killed people that are much more skilled than you (after they fixed the 'curse/corpse - stack), on so several occasions, with just about every pvp-template I've ever played.

As far as that particular template, I played that character for like ~6 months between Atl, LS & GL, and I've always played pretty much every 'mage' I have much more often during that time and still do because everyone I fight then and now has parry... I mean, It's counter productive to be a dexer under those circumstances, wouldn't you agree? (Normally, you should.. but in this case) No, you wouldn't because you're a parry mage. I don't enjoy sticking with one template to extended periods of time, I get bored with it. (which is why I was advocating for nerfs to some/all of the most powerful skills & combinations with them) you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Anyway, all this for a disagreement over shatter potions? There seems to be a big fear around nerfing consumables (or buffing shatter potions, which coincidentally is used to remove a portion of consumables from a fight...Go f***ing figure?) is somehow going to make pvp too difficult for you, that you don't think you could handle it? -it's just speculation, but to me, it's looking truer with every post.
I wanted to get curse/corpse nerfed too. I never said the guy was me. You claimed you couldn't lose with the curse/corpse set up and he challenged you and you did. The excuses are for you to keep. Was pointing out a fact.

This was brought up due to you saying I didn't know what i was talking about...had nothing to do with shatter pots. Try to follow. I pvp on the most popular shard. You pvp on a dead one. I brought up me killing you when we fought 1v1 and how you have never killed me 1v1. If you want to ever try to get a win on me let me know. Show off that mechanic knowledge.

I also play multiple templates. You can fight my non parry mage sometime if ya want. We can get this going tonight. :)

Nash

Sage
they need to fix parry from an archers perspective i couldnt kill a wrestle parry mage unless theyre afk

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Parry needs a serious fix since every template being used has parry. I was on last night and everyone that attempted to fight me solo couldn't keep up with mageplay and ran off after pressing evade button. Evasion itself isn't the issue, there needs to be a fix with casting schools combined with parry. Something along the lines of any casting school over 50 skill points has their parry chance cut by half at least. Im talking about magery, mysticism, necromancy, chivalry in combination with parry. The PvP has become even more unbalanced since the last patch that they tried to fix it. Before combat changes patch only melee characters were really hurting in pvp, now no dexxer can compete vs the all parry templates. The only reason deathstrikers are still used is cause they can smoke bomb or hide. Poisoning also needs to be looked at especially with splintering, but the ability to cure it has be a little bit easier. If they combo that with a cooldown on cure pots itll be even better balanced.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Parry needs a serious fix since every template being used has parry. I was on last night and everyone that attempted to fight me solo couldn't keep up with mageplay and ran off after pressing evade button. Evasion itself isn't the issue, there needs to be a fix with casting schools combined with parry. Something along the lines of any casting school over 50 skill points has their parry chance cut by half at least. Im talking about magery, mysticism, necromancy, chivalry in combination with parry. The PvP has become even more unbalanced since the last patch that they tried to fix it. Before combat changes patch only melee characters were really hurting in pvp, now no dexxer can compete vs the all parry templates. The only reason deathstrikers are still used is cause they can smoke bomb or hide. Poisoning also needs to be looked at especially with splintering, but the ability to cure it has be a little bit easier. If they combo that with a cooldown on cure pots itll be even better balanced.
You are warshak, no? When I casted curse near you last night you literally hit your evade and ran to your house a screen away.

You are one of the most clueless pvpers (using that very loosely here).

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You are warshak, no? When I casted curse near you last night you literally hit your evade and ran to your house a screen away.

You are one of the most clueless pvpers (using that very loosely here).
LOL your stories are some of the best fiction stories ever. When you came out was after 7 FS members just flagged me and you tried to help them gank me, but like usual all of you failed. Please try and remember all parts of what actually happens. P.S. I don't use a bushido mage cause I don't need a crutch wooden stick to lean on. :D

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL your stories are some of the best fiction stories ever. When you came out was after 7 FS members just flagged me and you tried to help them gank me, but like usual all of you failed. Please try and remember all parts of what actually happens. P.S. I don't use a bushido mage cause I don't need a crutch wooden stick to lean on. :D
You are a weird liar. It was you and alexander at the gate. There were 3 FS about two screens south sitting outside the f8 house not flagged on anyone. I cast curse and you cast evade (if you don't have bushido but have an evade macro that's really strange) and ran one screen back to your house. Alexander followed and laughed and then I fought him because he wasn't a girl. Of course he lost, but he is 10x the pvper you are.

But, hey are you saying you want to fight me without running away? LOL. Lets do it. You can challenge drcossack for fastest death ever.

Dodge incoming.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Congrats on playing a evade mage much like your bandage wrestle parry mage and beating a archer with it. LOLOL. And Ill duel you anytime anywhere no outside programs, but we both know that will never happen snice you have some massive EGO and you are probably 35+ yrs old on a video game. Just stop already, pvp is so broken no good players even log in, including your own mates since their bug with the boots got fixed. Cause like most egotistical players without some advantage you just quit playing. Im busy playing other games which are actually fun unlike todays UO.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
CIongrats on playing a evade mage much like your bandage wrestle parry mage and beating a archer with it. LOLOL. And Ill duel you anytime anywhere no outside programs, but we both know that will never happen snice you have some massive EGO and you are probably 35+ yrs old on a video game. Just stop already, pvp is so broken no good players even log in, including your own mates since their bug with the boots got fixed. Cause like most egotistical players without some advantage you just quit playing. Im busy playing other games which are actually fun unlike todays UO.
It was a mystic.. the same one you ran away from. And i knew there would be the dodge. Now leave the pvp talk to the real pvpers. Thanks.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL you refusing to fight me without programs is you dodging not me. Now stop dragging this off topic with your complete utter nonsense. NEWS FLASH, no one cares or even pvps in UO anymore cept the same 30 losers that have big egos. There hasn't been real pvpers to fight against since like 2010.

leet

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Im sure none of this happened the way you are saying it did, but yes parry needs adjusted

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Anon dreamily imagines this conversation in PVM

*Anon* man i pwned that greater dragon last night discoed his #$$ and killed him Ded
Giant GD pokes head in window picking pieces of Anons tunic from his teeth *GD* i do say young man you sure you be tellin that story correctly....
*Anon* well well if you weren't speed hackin all the time my leet lute of dragon pwnimg would rule ..
GD chuckles softly *GD*heheh

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im sure none of this happened the way you are saying it did, but yes parry needs adjusted
The issue is Dismount, not Parry.

If instant running Dismounts were not possible, leading to being ganked on foot in such a bad way, players wouldn't feel the need to all have Parry.
Parry is being taken up all round, because players have to have it - they fear Dismount and instant death in such a way that swings group battles very quickly against your team,
Dismount is like an I WIN button with zero skill.

Nerf Parry to the ground, players will still have to use it in the current climate.
Take off all the Dismount specials, and leave it as a Bola only ability, and you will fix the Parry issue - players will be braver in their templates.

Last edited:

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You cant get rid of dismount, without it people will just run and no one would ever die in pvp. If your dying in a group of players when you get footed, you need a better group to play with. The reason people use parry is to make up for lack of skill, we need people to learn to actually pvp again, not just gimp up and avoid it. *Mic drop*

leet

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The issue is Dismount, not Parry.

If instant running Dismounts were not possible, leading to being ganked on foot in such a bad way, players wouldn't feel the need to all have Parry.
Parry is being taken up all round, because players have to have it - they fear Dismount and instant death in such a way that swings group battles very quickly against your team,
Dismount is like an I WIN button with zero skill.

Nerf Parry to the ground, players will still have to use it in the current climate.
Take off all the Dismount specials, and leave it as a Bola only ability, and you will fix the Parry issue - players will be braver in their templates.
Change everything you said about parry to ninjitsu then that statement would be true

Effort

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I like this "dismount as bola only" option, can you also make it so if 10 vs 3 the 10 can't use pots? Tks ea good luck in diamond

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bola-only doesn't fix the issue at all with parry. Bolas can be Parried, they're delayed enough to where they're easily dodged with a 100% chance.

Weapon dismount can't always be avoided (action/awareness), and there's still the chance it would just miss or be parried (RNG) just so happens the RNG is swayed heavily in favor of the player with Parry, you don't need to anticipate dismount coming anywhere near as much, as the chances are, it won't hit you anyway.

Unfortunately, if you're playing a dexer, Dismount is basically the only chance you have of killing a parry-mage anymore (one vs one), or you need to play in groups. if not you might as well play a mage yourself, it's the only way you can hit someone with parry often enough to kill them since spells don't miss.

I wanted to get curse/corpse nerfed too. I never said the guy was me. You claimed you couldn't lose with the curse/corpse set up and he challenged you and you did. The excuses are for you to keep. Was pointing out a fact.

This was brought up due to you saying I didn't know what i was talking about...had nothing to do with shatter pots.
It never ceases to amaze me at how full of **** one can be. btw, I never said I couldn't lose, and if I had +1 FC town bonus, I doubt I would have, not exactly easy to cast at 1/3 casting with 10 DCI vs a 2s weapon, ... and it had nothing to do with Curse + Corpse stacking, because I didn't use curse when I fought that guy. I still have the icq history, stating the lack of FC1 buff on TC1 and the guy saying he needed it too even though his template had nothing that would benefit from FC... obv.

Actually, he does kind of remind me of you, only takes a fight when there's a clear advantage.... speaking of which, didn't you lose in a mage 1v1 tourny while you were in wraith form vs another mage that wasn't in form? I didn't expect that, but then again... it was around the time when all you were really useful for was Cursing people so the archers of your group at the time (Deleeted, Diddles, Trevor & TJ) could running-shot people down with elemental damage bows/throwing weapons. Losing to another mage while you're in wraith form is much worse than losing a fight with a handicap of -1 FC.

Oh, btw.

5. The action timer is fine.

6. Anyone who think shatter pots are useful don't actually pvp. It stalls pvp. It should shatter a set amount of pots (like 5) and/or have a shatter timer shield. If anyone thinks it isn't a troll tactic or that it helps pvp... they do not pvp on the largest pvp shard
(ya know, the people who know what they are talkin about).
Why would you exclude yourself from the discussion like that?
#5 & #6, both suggest that you don't know what you're talking about.

How about you state why you think Shatter potions "Stalls Pvp" with something that doesn't show an extreme reliance on potions?
"It stalls pvp" you left out the following, for those of us who cannot fight without potions, everyone else shatter potions speed the fight up... I mean, do you expect people to stop trying to kill you if you run out of potions mid fight or vice-versa?

Carry less potions, shatters won't affect you as much.... oh, but you'll end up running out faster because you use them much more often than one should, they're 'backups' not primary sources of defense & recovery like everyone has been using them as for the last 8+ years.

It's amazing how many things are still broken in UO 5 years after (some well before that) it was all brought to attention.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like this "dismount as bola only" option, can you also make it so if 10 vs 3 the 10 can't use pots? Tks ea good luck in diamond
Haha, the 10 v 3 (bigger group can't chug). it'll make people play in smaller groups, that's for sure... everyone's turned into a b**** in today's UO.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Change everything you said about parry to ninjitsu then that statement would be true
Fair point actually. 50% using parry, and 50% using ninjitsu maybe, for the same reason.

Bola-only doesn't fix the issue at all with parry. Bolas can be Parried, they're delayed enough to where they're easily dodged with a 100% chance.

Weapon dismount can't always be avoided (action/awareness), and there's still the chance it would just miss or be parried (RNG) just so happens the RNG is swayed heavily in favor of the player with Parry, you don't need to anticipate dismount coming anywhere near as much, as the chances are, it won't hit you anyway.

Unfortunately, if you're playing a dexer, Dismount is basically the only chance you have of killing a parry-mage anymore (one vs one), or you need to play in groups. if not you might as well play a mage yourself, it's the only way you can hit someone with parry often enough to kill them since spells don't miss.

I'm not sure a dexxer should be able to kill a parry mage easily, or at all 1v1?
But to be fair, a parry mage cannot also kill a dexxer unless you've trapped it - due to the sacrifices made, and the healing and running ability of dexxers.
I personally, gave up playing a parry mage, because I can't cast enough, I like to cast fields and larger spells non stop in group fights, I like my DPS.
It means I cannot fight at Yew gate without being mincemeat.
I'm a group fight player, I fight in large groups, over objectives.
A few of my friends play parry mages or dexxers, and they basically protect me, keep me alive, and I do the annoying support stuff.
Reaper, energy fields, paralyse fields, thunderstorm, essence of wind, a few heals, meteor swarm, flamestrikes etc.

A parry mage has the most defensive template going, and has sacrificed points and stats for that.
80 Dex, which could have been mana, which could have been DPS.
120 Skillpoints, which could have been many other things.
A parry mage is very much a group fighter, it does scale up well in a group I agree - but I see this as a good thing, it promotes group objective teamplay over Yew gate.
At the end of an evening, when we've done our team objective fighting, and a few go to mess around at Yew Gate, 60% of us don't join in at that point, we go do something else.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fair point actually. 50% using parry, and 50% using ninjitsu maybe, for the same reason.
50% Parry = Casters (Magery or Chivalry) defense never reduced & offense only limited by the other skills they're combined with,
50% Ninjitsu = non-casters (Dexers) the thing is, animal form you can't cast spells and your offense turns to s***. So ninjitsu has more disadvantages (plus, most of the other spells require hiding/stealth)

I'm not sure a dexxer should be able to kill a parry mage easily, or at all 1v1?
But to be fair, a parry mage cannot also kill a dexxer unless you've trapped it - due to the sacrifices made, and the healing and running ability of dexxers.
You're not sure a dexer should be able to kill a parry-mage one vs one? That's precisely what the problem is with Parry. A Dexer can't kill a Parry-mage one vs one... in order for that to be possible, the mage has to be pretty damn bad, or have some outside force that prevents the mage from winning.

as far as people running away while healing.

Bandages (requires healing skill, gains benefit from Anatomy skill)
Confidence (requires Bushido skill)
Potions (requires No skill but gains benefit from Alchemy & EP - every template uses these)
there are options for anyone to use in order to accomplish healing while running away. none of which are specific to 'dexers', and when people say dexers run, they act like mages don't.

I'd actually like to see people fight without running away.... Outside of dueling, I haven't seen it in over 10 years,

A parry mage has the most defensive template going, and has sacrificed points and stats for that.
80 Dex, which could have been mana, which could have been DPS.
If we had this discussion when Reforging/Imbuing were top-tier items, I'd agree..... Now you could easily make a suit that you put your sacrifices at a minimum or none at all with today's items.

Status
Not open for further replies.