• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PvP Balancing Proposal 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, he does kind of remind me of you, only takes a fight when there's a clear advantage.... speaking of which, didn't you lose in a mage 1v1 tourny while you were in wraith form vs another mage that wasn't in form? I didn't expect that, but then again... it was around the time when all you were really useful for was Cursing people so the archers of your group at the time (Deleeted, Diddles, Trevor & TJ) could running-shot people down with elemental damage bows/throwing weapons. Losing to another mage while you're in wraith form is much worse than losing a fight with a handicap of -1 FC.

How about you state why you think Shatter potions "Stalls Pvp" with something that doesn't show an extreme reliance on potions?
"It stalls pvp" you left out the following, for those of us who cannot fight without potions, everyone else shatter potions speed the fight up... I mean, do you expect people to stop trying to kill you if you run out of potions mid fight or vice-versa?

Carry less potions, shatters won't affect you as much.... oh, but you'll end up running out faster because you use them much more often than one should, they're 'backups' not primary sources of defense & recovery like everyone has been using them as for the last 8+ years.

It's amazing how many things are still broken in UO 5 years after (some well before that) it was all brought to attention.
A clear advantage? I went into that tourney with no wrestle or anat and it was a 7x mage fight and had 15 sdi vs 40 sdi. lol. Ya huge advantage of 25% less sdi and get hit literally everytime someone walks by. Still took 3rd in that and have a winning record vs the 2 winners that finished 1st and second.

And shatter pots slow it down because the game has evolved and people use resources. I get that you are stuck in the past and wish that people didn't, but its get up with the times or get left behind. You sound like you've been left behind for quite some time.

Did you ever accept that fight i offered? I saw your buddy that runs into the house whenever he sees me declined but did not see your response.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A clear advantage? I went into that tourney with no wrestle or anat and it was a 7x mage fight and had 15 sdi vs 40 sdi. lol. Ya huge advantage of 25% less sdi and get hit literally everytime someone walks by. Still took 3rd in that and have a winning record vs the 2 winners that finished 1st and second.

And shatter pots slow it down because the game has evolved and people use resources. I get that you are stuck in the past and wish that people didn't, but its get up with the times or get left behind. You sound like you've been left behind for quite some time.

Did you ever accept that fight i offered? I saw your buddy that runs into the house whenever he sees me declined but did not see your response.
Sounds like an excuses to me... shocker, I know.

Shatter pots slow you down because you don't fight without pots.... the down-time (running away to restock) is your choice.

Last time I fought you, you said you were going to switch to a DP char and you never came back.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like an excuses to me... shocker, I know.

Shatter pots slow you down because you don't fight without pots.... the down-time (running away to restock) is your choice.

Last time I fought you, you said you were going to switch to a DP char and you never came back.
No, I switched and you were gone. But everytime we fought 1v1 and one of us died it was ... you.

So now are you ready to die again? This should be a simple yes or no, bud. I'll be happy to set aside time to kill ya more.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I chuckled when he said it stalls PvP.
No, not being competent enough to continue a fight without potions is what stalls PvP. God forbid one should die in an online video game.
Gotta love fragile egos. :D

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I chuckled when he said it stalls PvP.
No, not being competent enough to continue a fight without potions is what stalls PvP. God forbid one should die in an online video game.
Gotta love fragile egos. :D
I am going out on a limb that you are also a terrible pvper (prove me wrong if you are going to contest that).

Isn't it strange that the people vocal about pots are people who not only were terrible when pot use was not the norm- but people who did not adapt to the game. Covenant, warshak, drcossack. lol. That group are some of the worst pvpers- if you could even label them as such.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am going out on a limb that you are also a terrible pvper (prove me wrong if you are going to contest that).

Isn't it strange that the people vocal about pots are people who not only were terrible when pot use was not the norm- but people who did not adapt to the game. Covenant, warshak, drcossack. lol. That group are some of the worst pvpers- if you could even label them as such.
Don't cry to me because I can pvp with Or without potions, and you can't. It's not my fault.

How is it that you had to run away crying you're switching to a DP character against a guy that didn't chug any potions during the fight, if I'm the one that hasn't adapted yet? Sense... make it.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Regardless of how many times you try to change the subject and avoid the fact that you can´t PvP without pots, the fact remains that if you choose to leave a fight because you run out of potions, or some other consumable, then the stalling of said fight is on you and no one else.
In a fight that is for "life and death", you don´t get to call a timeout just because you need something. Come prepared and do the best with what you´ve got.
If you die, you lost the fight. If you leave the fight, you lost the fight.

If it´s a groupfight then the PvP isn´t stalled just because you need to go restock. It just means your side is weaker while you´re away.
Unless of course your group stops fighting all together while one person is away but again, then that is on you/them.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Regardless of how many times you try to change the subject and avoid the fact that you can´t PvP without pots, the fact remains that if you choose to leave a fight because you run out of potions, or some other consumable, then the stalling of said fight is on you and no one else.
In a fight that is for "life and death", you don´t get to call a timeout just because you need something. Come prepared and do the best with what you´ve got.
If you die, you lost the fight. If you leave the fight, you lost the fight.

If it´s a groupfight then the PvP isn´t stalled just because you need to go restock. It just means your side is weaker while you´re away.
Unless of course your group stops fighting all together while one person is away but again, then that is on you/them.
LoL wow. If someone leaves screen you win? Man i win even more than i thought with that logic.

So same challenge to you as covenant who now is avoiding the fight. Would you like to 1v1 and we can see who has not adapted and who has?

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't cry to me because I can pvp with Or without potions, and you can't. It's not my fault.

How is it that you had to run away crying you're switching to a DP character against a guy that didn't chug any potions during the fight, if I'm the one that hasn't adapted yet? Sense... make it.
I don't cry about how you have never killed me and you die to me when we fight.

Notice that you have not accepted a fight I offered you for over a week now. Just want to whine about how you haven't adapted and are stuck on a dead shard.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
LoL wow. If someone leaves screen you win? Man i win even more than i thought with that logic.
Not only did I not say that but it´s interesting to see that´s what you got out of my post. The trick is to understand the context.
But hey, stick to loling and deflecting. :thumbup:

So same challenge to you as covenant who now is avoiding the fight. Would you like to 1v1 and we can see who has not adapted and who has?
No thank you.
I´ve seen your screenshots of your gameplay. I have no interest in players like you. And it has nothing to do with your skill. Or lack thereof...

I always find it amusing when people play the "fight my main"-card as if that somehow would strengthen their argument in some way. Especially grown men. What was that someone said earlier about fragile egos...?

So to recap: If you leave the fight, you stall the PvP.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't cry about how you have never killed me and you die to me when we fight.

Notice that you have not accepted a fight I offered you for over a week now. Just want to whine about how you haven't adapted and are stuck on a dead shard.
You ran from me so you could switch to a DP character, which you never returned for at least 30-40 minutes (I logged about 30-40 minutes after you ran - it doesn't take 30+ minutes to switch characters either btw) on Atlantic I know you didn't come back because your house (or the house you're always in)) is right at the gate the only place you even pvp.... restock too far away everywhere else I guess... lol.

The dead-shard logic doesn't make any sense, even if it did it would be against you.... your offense was the same as your guild tag... [Poop] Haha, it's funny because it's true.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What pots were we complaining about again? Supernovas? Which were ****ing instant/unavoidable, and did way too much damage for minimal investment? I ran multiple tests to see the #s - although the tests did involve me dual-clienting two vvv chars with a stationary target, that was an irrelevant aspect of my testing - the results would not have changed if I had someone else use a Supernova pot on me. You can't adapt to things that are broken, or, in the case of supernova pots, overpowered to the point that use is so widespread because of the mechanics involved.

Paith, if anyone in this thread is a joke of a pvp'er, it's you. Your "SDI" argument aside, you lost in that Atlantic tournament with wraith form and protection - I was there, I know what happened. In all honesty, that should be pretty much impossible, even with 25% less sdi. But you managed to do so. You cannot fight without an advantage of some sort, because it compensates for your utter lack of skill. I can't count the # of times I've seen you on a healing/parry mage at Yew, which requires specific counters to kill - in each fight, you've done nothing but run to specific areas where you'd have an advantage. When we had a 1v1 in the Arena on Atl, YOU BROUGHT DP to a pure mage fight, and I refused any further fights because of it.

I can pvp just fine without pots. But I know it's a fools errand to do so given UO's current pvp meta. Can you say the same? Given your earlier posts with statements like the following:

6. Anyone who think shatter pots are useful don't actually pvp. It stalls pvp. It should shatter a set amount of pots (like 5) and/or have a shatter timer shield. If anyone thinks it isn't a troll tactic or that it helps pvp... they do not pvp on the largest pvp shard (ya know, the people who know what they are talkin about).
you obviously can't pvp without them. Shatter pots are a minor inconvenience when they're used on me. Do you know what happens when I see one used on me? I don't leave the fight. Troll tactic...maybe, maybe not. But I think complaining about them says plenty about over-reliance on them - it's not about not using all available resources (which nobody would complain about) - it's about gimping your playstyle to the point that you simply cannot play without them.

Turles (UHOH)

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
As long as parry with any other defensive skill could be looked into id be pretty happy. only being able to hit wrestling parry mages or bush parry warriors about 20 percent of the time gets kinda lame. I was just fighting on chessy and was missing this wrestling parry mage up to 8 swings in a row before i could even get 1 hit let alone string enough hits together to kill him. how is that anyway balanced for warriors at all. just my 2 cents i guess tho.

UltimaLordAmitlu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In response to the poster:
1. Curse and Corpse should always take you to the respective 70/60/60/60/60 regardless. Corpse should take you the whatever it is 55 or 57 fire poison no matter what

2. Parry shoild only be viable for pvm (sampires). Take parry out of pvp. You shouldnt be able to evade with mage weapons, you shouldn't be able to parry with wrestling or eval/anat. It is just stupid. If you have wrestling, magery, or archery you shouldn't be able to parry or use evasion. LITERALLY the meta right now for F8 and FS! Is eval/anat or wrestle mystic. If 4 people are attacking you and you're off mount, you should die lol. Literally against a wrestle parry mage with dci I missed 16/20 times and anat evAL parry was 14/20 times. 240 skill points shouldn't make every joe-shmoe godmode super saiyan. I'm fine with wrestle mages or even anat eval mages, but they shouldn't have parry. Make the dex requirement for parry 150+. Not everyone wants to pvp on a mage. (I know the counter argument then is "well, archers would be op then" make 2 handed weapons slower if that is the issue.)

3 Take pets out of pvp. What is this

4. don't have an opinion on them.

5. Shatter potions are trolly. Take them out because of people like army :D (he forces me to use them against my will :'< )

Splintering Weapons I don't really have an opinion on, but the warfork disarm splinter is op. But most people you are fighting are zerg groups with parry anat or wrestle parry mages. So leave splintering I guess or at least make a bandage remove it.

Hiding, stealth and smoke bombs. Um the counter is a unskilled/skilled focus tstorm and conflags. Literally every human can do this.

Teleport/Invis jewels/clothing and turkey feathers should not work or make an internal 30min cd on them.

Chivalry and Travel form. Sure, you can fizzle travel form but I think you should have to stop and cast it for at least 3 to 4 seconds. Chivalry take it down to 2/6, it is dumb.

Suggestion's for pvp and the game entirely:

Facets without housing/banks and dungeon servers should be cross shard. So that means no trading cross server. Servers with Luna, Brit, or any bank on it should be shard bound with no cross server. However, it is in our best interest to make Fel Dungeon, Fel T2A, Tram Dungeons, Tram T2A, ALL OF ILSHNAR, Malas Dungeons, Tokuno Facets without housing with Dungeons, Fel and Tram Mondains Legacy Dungeons, Ter Mur Facets without housing and dungeons (you would lose the Teleporter houses on each shard in the abyss), High Seas Dungeons and Eodon - all should be cross server for trammies and Felucans...

... but this won't happen though because of all the micro transactions with transfer tokens. :/

Last edited:

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You ran from me so you could switch to a DP character, which you never returned for at least 30-40 minutes (I logged about 30-40 minutes after you ran - it doesn't take 30+ minutes to switch characters either btw) on Atlantic I know you didn't come back because your house (or the house you're always in)) is right at the gate the only place you even pvp.... restock too far away everywhere else I guess... lol.

The dead-shard logic doesn't make any sense, even if it did it would be against you.... your offense was the same as your guild tag... [Poop] Haha, it's funny because it's true.
Well this is a weird lie. I didn't take more than 5 minutes to switch chars. And that is not my house- that is an afk house.

But, if my offense is poop how come ive killed you multiple times, youve never killed me, and you are refusing to fight now?

Covenant logic.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What pots were we complaining about again? Supernovas? Which were ****ing instant/unavoidable, and did way too much damage for minimal investment? I ran multiple tests to see the #s - although the tests did involve me dual-clienting two vvv chars with a stationary target, that was an irrelevant aspect of my testing - the results would not have changed if I had someone else use a Supernova pot on me. You can't adapt to things that are broken, or, in the case of supernova pots, overpowered to the point that use is so widespread because of the mechanics involved.

Paith, if anyone in this thread is a joke of a pvp'er, it's you. Your "SDI" argument aside, you lost in that Atlantic tournament with wraith form and protection - I was there, I know what happened. In all honesty, that should be pretty much impossible, even with 25% less sdi. But you managed to do so. You cannot fight without an advantage of some sort, because it compensates for your utter lack of skill. I can't count the # of times I've seen you on a healing/parry mage at Yew, which requires specific counters to kill - in each fight, you've done nothing but run to specific areas where you'd have an advantage. When we had a 1v1 in the Arena on Atl, YOU BROUGHT DP to a pure mage fight, and I refused any further fights because of it.

I can pvp just fine without pots. But I know it's a fools errand to do so given UO's current pvp meta. Can you say the same? Given your earlier posts with statements like the following:

you obviously can't pvp without them. Shatter pots are a minor inconvenience when they're used on me. Do you know what happens when I see one used on me? I don't leave the fight. Troll tactic...maybe, maybe not. But I think complaining about them says plenty about over-reliance on them - it's not about not using all available resources (which nobody would complain about) - it's about gimping your playstyle to the point that you simply cannot play without them.
Umm we have fought without pots and the fight lasted under a minute. multiple times. you are garbage and exactly why you shouldn't have a say in pvp.

The last one i dropped you was on my mystic parry char as you were trying to run into a house (very warshak of you).

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The last one i dropped you was on my mystic parry char as you were trying to run into a house (very warshak of you).
Nice lie. there is NOBODY who's capable of forcing me to run into a house 1v1. You can even ask @de LEET ed how much running I did the last time we fought 1v1. And he's a hell of a lot better than you are.

Under a minute with no pots? If you're referring to the Arena fight: once again, you brought DP. Field fights? You can't kill me unless I let it happen, I've proven that over and over. You have zero mageplay ability - magic arrow/fireball spam can't kill me.

UltimaLordAmitlu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guys, this is a pvp balancing thread not trash talk...

...with that said we all know Paith would own you cossack.

I digress.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guys, this is a pvp balancing thread not trash talk...

...with that said we all know Paith would own you cossack.

I digress.
There's no point discussing it though, because the devs simply do not care about the pvp in this game...or listening to the players in general. Multiple players have been saying that for the past few years, since the vvv focus group at the earliest (to my knowledge, anyway - it was probably the case before that as well.)

While Stratics is just a small part of the UO playerbase, why do you think the game's in the shape it's in? Sure, the fact that there are "better" games plays a part - UO's not easy to get into for a new player. We all know that. I can't speak for WoW's accessibility, but FF14 is very beginner friendly - you can dive right into the game and pick things up as you go along. But both WoW & FF14 routinely get new content that's worth doing, or have things for everyone to enjoy. What does UO have in that regard? Crafting is pretty much irrelevant unless you want to make weapons or a luck suit, 99% of the pvm content in the game isn't worth farming, and pvp, whether you like it or not, is a broken and imbalanced mess.

PaithanTheElf

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice lie. there is NOBODY who's capable of forcing me to run into a house 1v1. You can even ask @de LEET ed how much running I did the last time we fought 1v1. And he's a hell of a lot better than you are.

Under a minute with no pots? If you're referring to the Arena fight: once again, you brought DP. Field fights? You can't kill me unless I let it happen, I've proven that over and over. You have zero mageplay ability - magic arrow/fireball spam can't kill me.
No I am referring to when you died at the steps of one of your house hiding houses in yew.

And field fights its not even funny how fast you die. Your only hope is to run away as fast as you can.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just like Paith to derail a thread with his big EGO and low talent posts. Very similar to his gameplay in UO. I don't know which is worse, his attempt at smacktalk on the boards or his lack of pvp talent in game. P.S. Im selling 60k Shatter potions paith, are you interested?

UltimaLordAmitlu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cossack I agree with you on crafting. Imbuing weight should be raised up, maybe add 2 or 3 more mods you can add to armor - weapons should stay at their respective weights.

In terms of content, yes FF14, WOW, ESO, AION, Tera, etc has GOOD content being pumped out on the regular. But, I mean how much do you think UOis making in subs and microtransactions quarterly/yearly? In 2008 Ender was saying around 20 million - that was 10 years ago. Let's say UO is roughly making 5-10 milliion a year and that's not including service costs that come afterwards. It's a shot in the dark.

The company seems to disregard balancing the game when implementing new content - and not just in pvp. For example: the roof is broken with mutlibosses glitch(maybe it's fixed haven't played in 7 months). They fixed chaining exodus without having to leave the instance. When time of legends came out, mobs dropped items with such intensities so often that they nerfed it after a while, so only a hand few of players got ridiculous drops so quickly - now they just farm with luck throwers.

OSI only seems to cater to trammy players "look I released a new pixel you can put in your house as deco!" They completely ignore pvp and don't even know the correct way of testing it.

Things that draw players in Risk vs Reward. I like what they're doing with Khaldun, but like I said with cross servers in my first post there would be more fights, more risks and yes more rewards.

As for new players, I agree with you whole heartedly. It is a struggle. Picture yourself, starting in haven after an eighteen year absence or they are completely new. They don't know the methods of leveling certain skills.

And on the topic of leveling/macroing with uoassist. Every free uo server allows macroing - even unattended. Where macroing turns bad for players and the economy is afk macroing resources. Macroing afk resources can even be monitored though with afk check box that comes up asking the player to answer a question/s after a certain action (mining, picking cotton, fishing) has been repeated over and over. I've seen this on other free server's on YouTube!

What it comes down to is lazyness by OSI. It's like you said "all other mmos add more usefull content." That's true. This also applies to UO freeservers - and I am in no way trying to promote them whatsoever. All I am saying is if the developers at OSI just took a day out of their busy schedules to look at some of the changes that they have made on free servers they could learn quite a bit from those said free servers.

I know I am branching/ranting off here, but lets be real for a moment. Most pvpers, farmers, trammies, rper''s use either UOAssist, ***** or ***** as a uo interface for both free shards and OSI. It is in the players preference to choose which UI you're comfortable with. It is a known fact and if you deny it, then you're living in the middle ages and/or kidding yourself if you think players aren't using these UIs/third party addons/assistants. Instead of just focusing on their new client they should allow other third party UI. Just the other day, someone linked me a YouTube page of the ***** client ui. It is incredible, and I suggest a Google to look at it. Point being, if people are altering the game illegally, but making better changes than the official game runner shouldn't that pose some question's to the sustainability of the game runners content/game?

The last paragraph directly affects the marketability of OSI UO. When you log on Twitch and type Ultima Online the only streamers that come up are on free servers. Most players on OSI want to watch their favorite pvpers/farmers stream - but no one streams on OSI and why do you think that is?

But no, it is like you said "the game is on its last leg." Yes! The people that run UO are old, they are at that retiring age. They're tired and probably don't have money to hire young blood to come up with balances to pvp, new content and fix existing bugs. Instead, OSI just puts bandaids over old broken code and cater to people who complain about dying in an open world sandbox game.

Add cross server compatibility
Add battlegrounds with rewards (cross server bgs?)
Add risk back to the game
Add accessibility to new players and make changes to leveling skills
Add marketability and eliminate existing rules that apply to banned third party ui/software/assitants
Add afk checks to afk resource gatherers to catch them and ban them.
Add more imbuing weights to armor go from 5 mods to 7 mods.

Idk. I'm just spitballing to get a good discussion here cause I love this game. Just some things to think about.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No I am referring to when you died at the steps of one of your house hiding houses in yew.

And field fights its not even funny how fast you die. Your only hope is to run away as fast as you can.
That'd hold water if I had access to any non-public houses in Yew on Atl. Which, last I checked, I don't. Anyway, not gonna continue this. If you wanna trash talk, take it to the HOT forums...but I won't be reading it.

Since this is long, I'll try to keep my answers brief. But it's a well thought out post.

Mods & imbuing weight: agreed. Even reforged pieces can go over the imbuing cap, I believe? And Legendary Artifacts do so easily - had global loot been phased in more gradually, the power creep of gear wouldn't have gotten out of hand as badly as it did, I'd guess. But there's no way to say that for sure: the guys who were multiboxing places to no end would have done it regardless, which I'm sure you'd agree with. No way to know how much loot they would have gotten if it had been added over the course of several publishes, at any rate.

$$$ made: Right. FF14 has A LOT of cosmetic items, emotes, etc, and services like UO (character editing, server xfers, etc.) I haven't bought any since they don't interest me, but I'd imagine they pull in at least 100k a year just from those alone.

Lack of balancing: agreed. pet publish could have been ironed out more, same with the pvp publish. I know most of the playerbase doesn't pvp, which I'm not going to criticize - it's their choice, just as mine is to do a little bit of everything (except crafting.) But that's how an MMO should be - if you like a certain activity, you should be able to do it. But there should be a...hmm, I'm not sure "reward" is the right word. Maybe a reason to do it, which goes back to crafting in UO. Unpopular as it was after new content syndrome wore off, there was still a reason to go to the Revamped Doom. Same with Shadowguard (before they "fixed" it anyway.)

Cross-servers: I get the logic, and as an FF14 player, I love the idea - they do that with all of the data centers, each of which have about a dozen servers. If you're on the same datacenter you can play with people from any of the servers on it.

Risk v Reward: yup. While there's no real "risk" in FF14, the highest-end content is very rewarding, and challenging. However, like anything, once you've learned it, it's not a challenge anymore...but getting to that level of skill is part of the journey. In UO, what risk is there? If you die in pvp, you lose some consumables. Wow, big deal. You can go back to your house and restock. On Siege, you can lose your suit, which sucks. That's not the level of risk I'd add (unless it was the pre-AoS era), but some people like that.

Agreed on the free shards - I know the devs have their bosses, which the free shard guys aren't restricted by. They ARE the boss. If Mesanna's superiors don't want to promote the game, there really isn't much they can do. Games like WoW and FF14 are able to promote themselves through name recognition alone. UO, in 2018, doesn't have that luxury. It's a 20 yeard old game that has to compete with games that are much "prettier" and more dynamic in terms of available content. Sure, UO has plenty of content, but there's no real reward for doing it. That's a problem that needs to be fixed.

3rd party programs & afk macroing: Yup. I've used them in the presence of the devs, as have others. But I've never had a problem with afk macroing for skills. Resources and afk farming, yes. Do I like the fact that they're so wide-spread? of course not. But I've grown comfortable with my program of choice. I'm on the fence with it being made illegal - I know the ToS should be enforced, but the client you mentioned is RIDICULOUS. I watched a guy displaying what it could do on YouTube and it's insane.

The only people I've seen with vids of OSI UO have been on Youtube - Twitch is free shards. I've watched a few and chatted with one of the broadcasters.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
State of OSI PvP is add bush parry. No one sees that as sad. They nerfed scribe mages to oblivion. There’s still no use for trap pouch’s to break para. Just an infinite amount of box darts, which is stupid. Splinter weps and suits with 120 skill increase are insane. Sadly not much can be done to remedy the problems. If the nerf parry. The dexxers take over instantly. The hit way too fast and too hard. They have increased the strength of players so high the only fix would be is...

raise stat Caps to 175. 280(total) (can’t exceed 325)
Cap skill at 750 without jewls, 800 with skill increase.
Fix evasion to not work with Magery or at a reduced rate.
Raise dex needed for parry to 100 real dex not potted
Increase the cool down for heal potions
Add a cool down for cures on successful cure
Since they insist on leaving trap boxes, add a 5 second cool down.(I don’t understand how it’s ok to negate an entire attack with a crafted box anyone can use)
Revert super novas back to original use.
Bring back heat-seeking explosion pots that can’t be chained.

The power creep is real..2018 gear with a 2001 character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree with a lot of what @cazador said there. I also think things like non medable extra lmc is a huge part of the power creep as well. I think all those inherent armor bonuses should just go away, along with the combat bonus dexxers got from 300 points. Without the massive lmc drop from those things archers and throwers wouldn't be able to use special after special, and would actually have to time their decisions. Remove bleed from splintering completely, just have it be a 2-3 second slow walk. This way if you use a weapon with the special bleed, its worth having it. I would also add a mana cost to those inherent hit things on weapons, like spintering and bone breaker. If those go off it should cost like 10-20mana. Parry in any combination with casting schools should be dropped down especially combined with wrestling or anatomy or bushido or chivalry. There shouldn't be a basically unhittable character in pvp regardless of how the template is run. But hey we can throw ideas around all we like, I highly doubt the our crack team even gives a damn.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I see no problem with parry as it is

Without parry dexers are crazy powerful. No one cries when someone has resist, why do they cry if someone has parry.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see no problem with parry as it is

Without parry dexers are crazy powerful. No one cries when someone has resist, why do they cry if someone has parry.
Because Resist isn't overpowered - there are easy ways to deal with it (i.e. omen para.) How do you deal with parry? A) Fight it with another mage b) Hope RNJesus is in your favor. c) gank the parry mage. Sooner or later one of the dexers will kill them if a mage doesn't.

I haven't pvp'd (or played UO for that matter) in a while, but how common is parry these days? If it's as common as I think it is, THAT is why people want it nerfed. Because of the overcentralizing effect it has on the pvp meta.

Granted, if it is changed and dexers (as they presently are) aren't changed to go along with it, they'll be overpowered. But that's also a symptom of the powercreep in the game, along with other things like LMC Bonus.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's common because dexers are extremely powerful. Without parry, ppl get demolished. With parry, it's balanced

quovadis

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
It's common because dexers are extremely powerful. Without parry, ppl get demolished. With parry, it's balanced
parry alone is not a real problem, but combine with bushido, wrestling or weapons skill yes it's too strong .on 20 arrow I can touch 3 4 times .meme against someone with a following refiner and 35 dci. to remove parry would be a mistake the dexxer would be too strong but a nerfyes but it would need a nerf too on splintering

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
False!!! Its common cause

1: Its OP with any casting school in UO at its current parry chance %
2: Most people currently pvping aren't good enough to play without it (just like consumables)
3: Since its broken why would you not have High DPS with High Defense, literally no other template can compete against it cept for the same setup.
4: Only 3 Viable templates for current meta pvp, all of them contain parry with casting schools.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
literally every char i play but my mystic has a weap in its hand, and i have 0 problems with parry. i think some of you are just looking for an easy button.

people keep saying nerf parry - how would you nerf it. you drop its Chance and it because pointless, like adding lumberjack for damage. Take parry away from anything and everything begins to feel overpowered. Ever run up against a max dmg archer without parry? it ain't pretty.

I wouldn't touch parry for anything. I simply mentioned bushido because evade feels funny. 100% evading damage is weird. feel like it should be something else entirely, like chance to cut damage in half.

UltimaLordAmitlu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There has to be some sort of rock, paper, scissors.

A mage with parry (combined with bush, wrestle, anat/eval) beats a dexxer pretty easily now a days.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There has to be some sort of rock, paper, scissors.

A mage with parry (combined with bush, wrestle, anat/eval) beats a dexxer pretty easily now a days.
and a dexer beats any mage without parry for the most part.

What people are seeing is the competent players using more defensive skills and generated offense still. you cant take a bad player, slap parry on them, and make them a good player. But you can take parry off a good player and watch them falter to a bad dexer. Its balanced.

Trust me, i HATE trying to fit parry into everything - would much rather have scribe, more casting stuff, alchy, you name it. But you HAVE to because without it, dexers are crazy powerful, and a mage doesnt stand a chance. Mages should be the ones complaining that they feel they need parry, not the other way around.

UltimaLordAmitlu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's overpowered against dexxer templates. It's 240 skills (sometimes even just 60 parry) that make any character, chiv, mage, mystic, whatever absolutely untouchable. Missing 16 out of 20 times on a mage is a little broken my friend. If you want to have parry then be a dexxer and the Dex required should be 150.

I have friends that just play dexxers and mages have become immovable objects/raid bosses because of it. There is no skill required in just standing there and missing more than 80% of your hits. Teleport away, wall of stone, paralyze, disarm, go in protection against the dexxer. You're literally covered with options.

I play a mage without parry and I agree it is tough against dexxers, so reworking timers for heavy hitting weapons would be a good idea as well.

And on the topic of pure scribe mages WITHOUT parry. You get your spell focusing to 20 you ever fs a cursed target with it? It still does quite a bit of damage.

Last edited:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's overpowered against dexxer templates. It's 240 skills (sometimes even just 60 parry) that make any character, chiv, mage, mystic, whatever absolutely untouchable. Missing 16 out of 20 times on a mage is a little broken my friend. If you want to have parry then be a dexxer and the Dex required should be 150.

I have friends that just play dexxers and mages have become immovable objects/raid bosses because of it. There is no skill required in just standing there and missing more than 80% of your hits. Teleport away, wall of stone, paralyze, disarm the dexxer. You're literally covered with options.

I play a mage without parry and I agree it is tough against dexxers, so reworking timers for heavy hitting weapons would be a good idea as well.

Someone with 120 parry and 120 weap and 45 dci has a 33% chance roughly to not be hit (miss or block). 1/3 is not bad for the investment. And many people do not have 45 dci, and then there's hld off of that. And then alot don't have 120 parry.... See where I'm going with this.

A dexers will say "wah wah I can't hit this guy". And in the same fight the other guys like "Jesus so much for having parry this guy doesn't miss". It's all a matter of perspective.

If you want rock/paper/scissors. Force choose between resist and parry. Can't have both, pick one. Which one you think will be picked?

UltimaLordAmitlu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about this: You remove parry as a skill and just give every character the rng or roll chance to parry? That way everyone is on the same level playing field.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Take parry away from mages 100%, take resist away from dexers. Lol

Or just leave it all alone...and not create problems

UltimaLordAmitlu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like where your head is at! Why is it that having 120 resist allows youto resist paralyze? I think that is a little broken too.

I mean you're force walked with mass sleep for a few?

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In seriousness, I think people forget PvP is balanced based on group vs group, not one vs one.

That's where you see an effect of 3 dexers combining on a no parry dude and that guy getting obliterated.

UltimaLordAmitlu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So let's say 120 Magery always paralyzes for at least 2-3 seconds even with 120 resist. However, having 120 resists affects the debuffs on you and chance to be poisoned.

UltimaLordAmitlu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In seriousness, I think people forget PvP is balanced based on group vs group, not one vs one.

That's where you see an effect of 3 dexers combining on a no parry dude and that guy getting obliterated.
If 3 people are grouping to kill a target then the target SHOULD die. Lol

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pvp is only balanced one vs one, you cant balance it any other way. Even in a group vs group fight, five people could sync dump someone and kill them. Its literally no different then a gank. Balance in pvp also means every template has at least have a chance in the field, right now only 3 templates are viable unless you are running mass numbers.

It cant get anymore unbalanced then it is right now, if it was more balanced like you say there would a lot more people pvping then a very few select guilds. Resist spells and parry aren't even comparable either. Only thing you get out of resist spells is no para or mana vamp, both of which deal no damage. I think removing all the lmc bonuses and going back to the 40 lmc cap would nerf dexxers enough to make things much more balanced along with the parry changes.

UltimaLordAmitlu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
FS!, ! And F8 have pretty good 3 man mage gank squads. 5 man and it's not a problem to anyone cause peopLe are holding a spell waiting for the the reset to be called and then the target to drop on.

Status
Not open for further replies.