• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS NLS Newsletter #13

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
The only reason I am going is to bring back the trophies and things with my family crest on them. Staying another year for the "experience" or to make new friends does not excite me.

I'll definitely be moving ( hopefully with sweet goodies for my fortress) with the great explosion or whatever they call it.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The only reason I am going is to bring back the trophies and things with my family crest on them. Staying another year for the "experience" or to make new friends does not excite me.

I'll definitely be moving ( hopefully with sweet goodies for my fortress) with the great explosion or whatever they call it.
Excites me.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No one can take a year off their regular shard
will be interesting to see what the new shard will do to the existing shards especially the low population shards. not sure how many people will be around these shards. my number one concern with this new shard is when chars are able to transfer off the shard to another shard, what can they take with them. hopefully nothing except possibly titles.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
will be interesting to see what the new shard will do to the existing shards especially the low population shards. not sure how many people will be around these shards. my number one concern with this new shard is when chars are able to transfer off the shard to another shard, what can they take with them. hopefully nothing except possibly titles.
We disagree. I'm hoping you can take most things back with you to your home shard. But either way, I'm fine. I'm only hoping that for other players.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
We disagree. I'm hoping you can take most things back with you to your home shard. But either way, I'm fine. I'm only hoping that for other players.
Say they do treasure of on NL all the rewards shard bound...and it was my understanding that they wiped shard at end of every season?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Say they do treasure of on NL all the rewards shard bound...and it was my understanding that they wiped shard at end of every season?
Can you retype that? You probably typed your thought and question out right, but I'm too ignorant of the game to understand it. I'm not sure what you're asking.

Right now, most of you have stuff on a main shard and some of you shard shield around for stuff. To me, this new shard is an opportunity for everyone from all shards to gather on a new super shard (Kind of similar to Atlantic) and all game in one place with one set of main events for a season. It can be balanced around having players only geared/spec'd for a single season of content. When the season ends, you'll have an opportunity to take back all the stuff and pretties you got and spent time on to your home shard. I'd prefer if that was the majority of at least rewards from stories/content. I'd be disappointed if it were just titles.

I think the more they incentivize the new shard, the more people will be willing to spend a season there. Also, it doesn't lock you out of your other characters. You can still go get your underwear on your home shard.

I'm making some assumptions because not all details are out IIRC.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What's going to happen when you miss out on the sweet new ssi underwear from the treasures of because you are busy playing NL
You think they are going to have events on the prodo shards when NL is out?

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Yes
And their goal was to use basic armor and weapons , so to do more adventures and less time gathering resources to craft magic items.

And skills cap at 100 so there won't be reason to go all out on templates.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Can you retype that? You probably typed your thought and question out right, but I'm too ignorant of the game to understand it. I'm not sure what you're asking.

Right now, most of you have stuff on a main shard and some of you shard shield around for stuff. To me, this new shard is an opportunity for everyone from all shards to gather on a new super shard (Kind of similar to Atlantic) and all game in one place with one set of main events for a season. It can be balanced around having players only geared/spec'd for a single season of content. When the season ends, you'll have an opportunity to take back all the stuff and pretties you got and spent time on to your home shard. I'd prefer if that was the majority of at least rewards from stories/content. I'd be disappointed if it were just titles.

I think the more they incentivize the new shard, the more people will be willing to spend a season there. Also, it doesn't lock you out of your other characters. You can still go get your underwear on your home shard.

I'm making some assumptions because not all details are out IIRC.
I think I remember seeing on the "official" forum that Mesanna responded to a post, something along the lines of "I'm not sure where y'all got the idea you could bring all your stuff back to production shards. I didn't say that". So who knows.

That said, I think the whole NL idea will turn out to have been a really bad nightmare that Mesanna will wish she could forget. But wouldn't be able to!

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Should not be hard to put out cookie cutter EM events like they have been doing...

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's close to 6 months until anniversary. outside of some screenshots what do we have? Is there a release date? Will they beta test ? Anything concrete at all ?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think there will be main story events on NL and the EMs will do their thing on prod shards. At least for a while...

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We all heard this will be the best thing for are game. Frist it was EJ now its NL. There no way you can bring back the 200k plus people that left this game. I would love to have half that back but it wont happen.

Why would I go to a shard work on the shard skill him up then after a year bring him back to my home shard with 100 skills any maybe something else nothing game breaking am sure.

Maybe the first 100 people logged on to NL can get an item for head slot that is the Luck mask, Mace and shield and mask of Khan all in one none shard bond that can come back to there home shard with.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There are some interesting QoL improvements for New Legacy, I can't help but wonder though why they needed a new shard for these improvements. Surely they would be of more benefit to more players if they had added them to the existing shards, anything that makes the game less 'clicky' for a player-base mainly approaching middle-aged or older would have been very much welcomed. Maybe they will hold them back until after New Legacy is a success or a fail. The cynic in me is still thinking that making things so much easier on NL is a big hook to get players to move shard, who knows what will happen once the less populated shards then become even emptier.
First won't be added to the current because they would be abused... as you know ... And NL will just be wiped so all the tons of resources instead of being sold will be deleted... so they won't have to worry about people hoarding massive quantities of things when they want you to "work" at things. You know this is why we had to go farm caddalite infused **** for the one event right? Because they didn't want us to just craft up a bunch of stuff for folk instantly .... they wanted us to have to do all the stupid steps to get the needed equipment... Yet we mustered it up faster than they thought we ought to... despite what they say about reducing this and that.... it will be there anyway in the ridiculous amount of steps you'll have to take to do anything at all... and the ridiculous need for this and that to do anything... which will be a GRIND GRIND GRIND as always because that's how they roll anymore... Just saying.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I think no one here knows anything about what the Developers are (or aren't) going to do when NL is released and we're just going to have to wait to find out.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They said you can move your character to a shard... 1 time... free .... however your shard destination will have to have an empty slot so go ahead and delete one of your 20+ year old characters to bring that new one over... yeah... that'll happen... Oh and what you can bring back will be extremely limited so they said... very little will be able to be taken from the NL shard... also... if you leave your character there for the "next round" whatever you won't get to take anything off...

And finally... yes it will be wiped every season...

And yes I agree @Merlin... besides what they keep saying in the newsletters and in their videos we don't know diddly about what NL is or isn't going to do... or have... as they pretty much haven't said squat.

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
As a player yes you do. Nobody sad anything about moving chars to NL.
Ok so more like your attention gets divided between the shards. Yeah that is true. I think people will still play their other shard(s) but maybe some would dedicate more time to NL. Who knows! We’ll see.

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That's another thing. When you roll up a NL character you will have to move it to the shard of your choice , but you will need an open slot in order to land him .
My main account has nice character already , not really keen on deleting or moving one...

Will definitely be using a newer account to see if this is even worth it . :rolleyes:
If you really wanted to keep your character, you could park them on a different shard and transfer characters around at some point down the line.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Why do you just make up things? If you don't like the concept of NL, fine, but in everything they've said in the livestreams and on the FAQ they've never mentioned a fee involved in transferring.

There is plenty to criticize about Ultima Online in 2022 without having to fabricate a hypothetical.
Why would they suddenly give away something they currently charge for?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It seems that some posters saw NL coming to life in this newsletter and they can not grasp it so they are fighting it.

It took the Devs longer than they expected. And posters have been fighting reality. Still a lot of work to do.

I like some of the new game mechanics such as the new crafting and gathering. You still need skills but you can do things without max skills, it just takes longer and costs more.

They said all skill gain will be less of a grind. I would like to see gold going into our accounts without looting.

They said they can bring things from NL into UO. It is going to be a fun ride.

Last edited:

gwen

Slightly Crazed
They said you can move your character to a shard... 1 time... free .... however your shard destination will have to have an empty slot so go ahead and delete one of your 20+ year old characters to bring that new one over... yeah... that'll happen...
You can move this toon to ANY shard. If you have better toon on some shard don't move new one there. If you have 20+ years accounts, move those valuable toons to other shard as well.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You can move this toon to ANY shard. If you have better toon on some shard don't move new one there. If you have 20+ years accounts, move those valuable toons to other shard as well.
Why???? What is the point? What sort of craptastic character do you suppose you are going to have on such a shard... without powerscrolls???? Be a lot of moving around back and forth for a few pittance of junk that likely no one would give a rats about... and they want you to move characters around to bring this character and some junk out of a shard no one wanted or asked for... which is IMO a waste of time and energy from the regular shards. Already have issues of this sort of thing at Xmas had issues with getting enough people to do Krampus... as everyone was in the dungeon... and getting gifts, clickies, along with other things happening IRL over the holiday season... not to mention work, sleep, eating and other life things... so now they want to add a whole new shard on top of all that???? and when are we supposed to do anything there?? IN between all that ....... all the other stuff, EM Events and all... etc... but whatever...

The entire concept is IMO stupid. What they should have spent time on was making a REAL New Player/ Returning player experience... as well as unburden the current shards of all the tedium... and excess clicks... and fix things that are broken... but whatever. We are well beyond that.

IMO the NL shard is as stupid as playing on TC... a waste of time when all they are going to do is wipe it.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Why do you just make up things? If you don't like the concept of NL, fine, but in everything they've said in the livestreams and on the FAQ they've never mentioned a fee involved in transferring.

There is plenty to criticize about Ultima Online in 2022 without having to fabricate a hypothetical.
They never DIDN'T mention a fee either....at this point NO ONE KNOWS!!!! Free or not, it's still an interesting concept.

First...how many people to EM events on multiple shards and transfer their drops to ATL every day? No deleting 20+ year old characters Malagaste....contrary to what you believe, this happens every day.

Playing on NL and your home shard will be just as easy.

I can't wait for NL.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
it seems like a bad time of the year to open up NL sep is anniversary month oct Halloween nov Thanksgiving dec ect.
seem like January would have been a better start date
or maybe this year they aren't planning much this holiday season

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No we don't know. But I doubt they'd charge a fee to transfer off at least one character per season. If they charged a fee, it'd defeat the entire purpose.

Of course some people here would be complaining about them even adding stuff. This is the least intrusive thing they could do to players that like little change, but they'll still find a way to complain about it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
it seems like a bad time of the year to open up NL sep is anniversary month oct Halloween nov Thanksgiving dec ect.
seem like January would have been a better start date
or maybe this year they aren't planning much this holiday season
Maybe all they are planning is on the shard many of us don't care about.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here is there plan.

You have NL for one season then its deleted.

Now hear me out. Right before it being deleted you get to transfer your newish to to any shard.

Now hear is the good part.
Mesanna come out and says we are closeing some shards. You liked starting on a new shard and now you get to take some things and move once again.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Some people play just to build and decorate their homes . Do you think they will PLAY nl (not try we'll all give it a try) and unless paddy cakes is correct there will be events happening on production shards creating shard bound ssi underwear your characters will need to stay competitive. See I'm not against new things but creating a shard they said they never would. that no one asked for. totally separate and sucking all resources (developers time) is insane . Some people think a seasonal shard will work i sat BS if any UO player wanted that experience there are many far better games. We play UO for the permanency....

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
Here is there plan.

You have NL for one season then its deleted.

Now hear me out. Right before it being deleted you get to transfer your newish to to any shard.

Now hear is the good part.
Mesanna come out and says we are closeing some shards. You liked starting on a new shard and now you get to take some things and move once again.
And EA fires BS because UO does not have enough subs to support it from all the canceled accounts, stupidest idea ever. It hurts NOTHING to keep the shards open that are open and unlike you there are people that DO NOT want to play on ATL.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
that no one asked for.
I asked for it.

I don't want to play in the game with people that have 25 years of gold and incestuous trading. I worked hard when I was younger. I have a lot more gaming time now. I like to play UO. I've asked many times for a reset or fresh shard. I think this is a brilliant idea that makes me very happy and it shouldn't affect you all in the least if you want to stay on your, to me diseased, shards.

The biggest problems in UO today are the economy and content balanced around meta builds. And this, potentially, solves both.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I asked for it.

I don't want to play in the game with people that have 25 years of gold and incestuous trading. I worked hard when I was younger. I have a lot more gaming time now. I like to play UO. I've asked many times for a reset or fresh shard. I think this is a brilliant idea that makes me very happy and it shouldn't affect you all in the least if you want to stay on your, to me diseased, shards.

The biggest problems in UO today are the economy and content balanced around meta builds. And this, potentially, solves both.
Go play siege it already has all you seek

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And EA fires BS because UO does not have enough subs to support it from all the canceled accounts, stupidest idea ever. It hurts NOTHING to keep the shards open that are open and unlike you there are people that DO NOT want to play on ATL.
When I came back in 2009 I went throw all my Bank accounts per shard. EU, GL, Cats, Chessy, Atl and a few others. after playing on each shard and only being able to own one home with out more accounts I went with Atl because of the player base was Larger and I had a lot more items in the bank there. (Back when I left I had around 10 Grandfather homes that idoc on the above shards) One reason I think I had the most on Atl was the smaller house size I had there. My largest home was on GL.

As of right now I am more active with what game time I can play on all the other shards then ATL. Yes 6 of my 10 homes is on ATL but the other 4 are on Izumo, Chessy, EU and Yam. (Atl Castle one 18x18 and the rest are smaller on Atl around my castle) All my other homes are either a plot or a pre made 7x7 on the other shards.

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
When I came back in 2009 I went throw all my Bank accounts per shard. EU, GL, Cats, Chessy, Atl and a few others. after playing on each shard and only being able to own one home with out more accounts I went with Atl because of the player base was Larger and I had a lot more items in the bank there. (Back when I left I had around 10 Grandfather homes that idoc on the above shards) One reason I think I had the most on Atl was the smaller house size I had there. My largest home was on GL.

As of right now I am more active with what game time I can play on all the other shards then ATL. Yes 6 of my 10 homes is on ATL but the other 4 are on Izumo, Chessy, EU and Yam. (Atl Castle one 18x18 and the rest are smaller on Atl around my castle) All my other homes are either a plot or a pre made 7x7 on the other shards.
And what does that have anything to do with what you proposed, NOTHING