• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS NLS Newsletter #13

Archangel0

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Moving the bridge should satisfy everyone... after a decade or more of having a house there, it's not like they really bother (most of them)... the bridge a few tiles away shouldn't perturb anyone, I mean, seriously!

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There's no one unsatisfied. It's all being upset just because they put it in a newsletter. Not one person here so far has been affected by that part of the newsletter, but you all have an opinion on fixing the problem you don't have.

The solution here is so poorly conceived even. It's taking a hammer to a loose puzzle piece. There are layers to solving problems. Pete started to mention it, but walked it back a little.

If there's a problem, the easiest solution isn't to have someone go in and edit the game. The easiest solution is what they are doing, except putting it in a newsletter.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There's no one unsatisfied. It's all being upset just because they put it in a newsletter. Not one person here so far has been affected by that part of the newsletter, but you all have an opinion on fixing the problem you don't have.

The solution here is so poorly conceived even. It's taking a hammer to a loose puzzle piece. There are layers to solving problems. Pete started to mention it, but walked it back a little.

If there's a problem, the easiest solution isn't to have someone go in and edit the game. The easiest solution is what they are doing, except putting it in a newsletter.
We should wait until it's your home to speak up?

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
We should wait until it's your home to speak up?
You should wait for me to say I'm having an issue before speaking for me. They probably knew they were putting it in an exploitable spot. Outside of Atlantic, there are plenty of housing spots better than that.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You should wait for me to say I'm having an issue before speaking for me. They probably knew they were putting it in an exploitable spot. Outside of Atlantic, there are plenty of housing spots better than that.
We can agree to disagree..

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
Again if it's broken isn't it overkill to punish people who acted in good faith years later and in such a extreme manner..
So people that take advantage of bugs should be rewarded and allowed to keep their ill gotten items. Are are you seriously trying to convince me/everyone that those people didn't know that their houses were illegal, give me a break. An extreme manner would be to just demolish the house without a warning.
A lot of houses there were sandstones and when you convert it to custom then the steps go all the way to the left blocking the bridge, they knew it and they got caught, cry me a river.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So people that take advantage of bugs should be rewarded and allowed to keep their ill gotten items. Are are you seriously trying to convince me/everyone that those people didn't know that their houses were illegal, give me a break. An extreme manner would be to just demolish the house without a warning.
A lot of houses there were sandstones and when you convert it to custom then the steps go all the way to the left blocking the bridge, they knew it and they got caught, cry me a river.
Ok for years now delete seems heavy handed..

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards

Player named Spyder made a complaint thread on official forums that started all this.
Btw it was his one and only post. Ever.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
We can agree to disagree..
Not really. You're speaking for others. There's no agreeing to disagree. You shouldn't speak for others. You're simply wrong.

Player named Spyder made a complaint thread on official forums that started all this.
Btw it was his one and only post. Ever.
He's complaining about the house. It's not his house. He's complaining about the placement. In context of what you're replying to some may be mistaken into thinking you're claiming he's complaining about being asked to move his house. That's not the case. My point stands. You all are complaining for others and no one is unsatisfied with being asked to move their house, yet.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm speaking my opinion of the development teams reaction i know not a single person that is involved the same way I spoke when they didn't know reapers stopped casting or about their lack of communication skills and knowledge of customer service both here and on official forum

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm speaking my opinion of the development teams reaction i know not a single person that is involved the same way I spoke when they didn't know reapers stopped casting or about their lack of communication skills and knowledge of customer service both here and on official forum
It's not your opinion that I'm arguing about. It's the behavior or being offended by something that doesn't affect you and coming up with a solution you won't have to implement as if you're an expert. It's gone past the point where I've replied too many times over such a small issue at all. I'm more annoyed at myself. I stated my opinion and don't have a way to communicate it more effectively so I should just shut up, but I'm kind of infuriated at the idiocy of complaining for others and also thinking a solution is as easy as just thinking it up.

Constructively, the best I'd say is wrong here is them putting it in the newsletter at all.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just move the bridge if it’s as easy as Pete said
Use to be one on pac tram that blocked the bridge as well no big deal just teleport across some place else

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
My understanding is that if you have a Trinsic bridge house that is in violation (specifically, fully blocking movement), Mesanna will reach out to you via email and explain your options if she hasn't already.

Never the less, the cold response of "just delete their houses" is a bit absurd. The option of placing a house there has been around for 10+ years, and while likely it was never a good idea, it's the developers who allowed this in the coding that need to be the flexible ones here and atleast provide some type of solution or alternative. Where is it written that we have to report exploits? And how was anyone supposed to know this was an exploit? It's a good thing that this will now be resolved, but the overkill suggestion of just outright deleting people's houses without atleast some notice is absurd, if not out right trolling.

Further, a little strange that people who don't even have UO accounts are here telling people what to do and arguing over semantics. If you have nothing constructive to contribute to the conversation, consider taking it to PM or creating your own thread rather than disrupting and derailing the discussion for everyone else.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you try to make a custom castle with a rock in wrong place it won't let you if placing there was illegal the house tool should have prevented it..

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My understanding is that if you have a Trinsic bridge house that is in violation (specifically, fully blocking movement), Mesanna will reach out to you via email and explain your options if she hasn't already.

Never the less, the cold response of "just delete their houses" is a bit absurd. The option of placing a house there has been around for 10+ years, and while likely it was never a good idea, it's the developer's who allowed this in the coding that needs to be the flexible one here and atleast provide some type of solution or alternative. Where is it written that we have to report exploits? And how was anyone supposed to know this was an exploit? It's a good thing that this will now be resolved, but the overkill suggestion of just outright deleting people's houses without atleast some notice is absurd, if not out right trolling.

Further, a little strange that people who don't even have UO accounts are here telling people what to do and arguing over semantics. If you have nothing constructive to contribute to the conversation, consider taking it to PM or creating your own thread rather than disrupting and derailing the discussion for everyone else.
I have a UO account. Posting an opinion that you don't agree with is not derailing a topic. And be more specific instead of so passive aggressive. You're being passive aggressive to protect your heavy handed moderations.

It's not a cold response of "just delete their houses." Like you said, she reached out with options. My opinion of it only being a issue because it's in the Newsletter is valid and not derailing the topic.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I have a UO account. Posting an opinion that you don't agree with is not derailing a topic. And be more specific instead of so passive aggressive. You're being passive aggressive to protect your heavy handed moderations.

It's not a cold response of "just delete their houses." Like you said, she reached out with options. My opinion of it only being a issue because it's in the Newsletter is valid and not derailing the topic.
I didn't direct my comment at anyone in particular.

Feel free to send an email to [email protected] if you feel my simple post to ask a thread stay on topic constitutes "heavy handed moderation".

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
He's complaining about the house. It's not his house. He's complaining about the placement.
In context of what you're replying to some may be mistaken into thinking you're claiming he's complaining about being asked to move his house. That's not the case. My point stands. You all are complaining for others and no one is unsatisfied with being asked to move their house, yet.

Part 1 ..Ofc it's not his house. Why would someone page on themself ?

Part 2 ..Did you read the part about the owner and her husband QUITTING UO ? Sorry for the YELL. But I felt it necessary on this post.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Part 1 ..Ofc it's not his house. Why would someone page on themself ?

Part 2 ..Did you read the part about the owner and her husband QUITTING UO ? Sorry for the YELL. But I felt it necessary on this post.
I know the owner that was the last issue for them that drove them to quit UO

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Really yall are defending this?

1647454009286.png

They placed a small house then upsized it.

They got an email asking for it to be moved. They had numerous GMs telling them to move it.

Please explain how you defend such selfish behavior.

2 accounts were banned according to the newsletter for exploiting game mechanics, should you defend them also?

It is on Chessy, they have room for an 18x18 most anywhere.

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
Imagine logging in and finding all of you stuff gone that you got by using an exploit. Cheaters should never be rewarded.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I plan on running from Yew bank to Vesper any house I have to move around is geting a page I do not want to have to move around a house.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This house was resized legally i don't understand why people keep saying exploit you think someone who has power over the house tool is gonna place here get a grip our lead developer has control issues end of story and would rather delete people homes and everything inside than move a bridge come on

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This house was resized legally i don't understand why people keep saying exploit you think someone who has power over the house tool is gonna place here get a grip our lead developer has control issues end of story and would rather delete people homes and everything inside than move a bridge come on
The offender was warned last month. They were asked to move it multiple times. They had plenty of time to move to a larger house a few screens a away.
I'm sure the house is empty anyway. The poster said they are going to leave it up after the account closes so it will stay for 90 days, Just to be a jerk.

You should be mad at this specific house owner. They caused the issue to escalate. They refuse to move. So the only fair thing is to move them all.

An example of one selfish person causing others to be affected by their actions.

It is called Exploiting Game Mechanics.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
this issue has been a problem for so many years. it should have been fixed long ago. time after time people had to move their place and time and time again issues have come up about this area. need to make it where you cant place so close to bridge. problem solved. so much dev/gms time has been wasted getting people move their house. you have to laugh a little about the picture below where pawain says "really, you all defending this?"
1647460258259.png

Last edited:

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The offender was warned last month. They were asked to move it multiple times. They had plenty of time to move to a larger house a few screens a away.
I'm sure the house is empty anyway. The poster said they are going to leave it up after the account closes so it will stay for 90 days, Just to be a jerk.

You should be mad at this specific house owner. They caused the issue to escalate. They refuse to move. So the only fair thing is to move them all.

An example of one selfish person causing others to be affected by their actions.

What if they have hotmail

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

This one one of the reason why they where leaving the game. it was the last nail in the coffin for them.
This house here its been gone for a while now sorry to see it go. But some people it would make mad. Reds can not kill them standing on the steps of there tower. There is a Castle fel LS with a set up in the front My reds cant get to the owner when he recalls in. should I page on it then as well. Should I page on every house I run in to because it stopped me and I have to go around.
1647460726823.png

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You should NEVER be able to block anyone from using that bridge... sorry but that's a NO ... you know how many houses I have seen that block movement? tons.. they get paged on all the time... People who place their house too close to the edge of the land causing the corner to block passage... etc... this is something that will be paged on... they had to know what they were doing was NOT legal... had to ... Now if it was public property and allowed you to move on and not be blocked then I'm sure it would be fine... but otherwise it is not... and in FEL that's a serious NO... to block movement is something that will be paged on. It has NEVER been "legal" to block movement with your house... you know how many people have been told to fix it or lose it? Quite a few... so quit crying... they knew exactly what they were doing was wrong... they were warned multiple times...crying about it and quitting is just dumb. IMO... but to each their own... they know damn well that what they did was wrong.

And no it's not legal... never was never will be... just like placing in Destard... Not legal... move it or lose it and get over yourself.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Legal as in the game allowed them to do it right or wrong and years ago at that and while I feel it's never to late to fix something the solution is absurdly over the top to do it publicly in some grotesque show of power embarrassingly unprofessional

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There was a notice in one of the Newsletters a long time ago. If someones add ons block the view of your house they can be paged on. They will be asked to remove those.

So it is up to you. Your usage rights of UO ends when it affects others that are playing by the normal game mechanics. If you run a trade route on roads and a house blocks you, then page if you want.

IMO the houses on the farm fields in Fel Brit should be removed. They don't affect me until October and not enough to waste time paging on them.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Legal as in the game allowed them to do it right or wrong and years ago at that and while I feel it's never to late to fix something the solution is absurdly over the top to do it publicly in some grotesque show of power embarrassingly unprofessional
I agree Mesanna should have ended this quicker without drama from her side. But yall want transparency. You get it and you complain anyway. Now you know how internal issues are handled. One person exploiting game mechanics causes others to be "punished".

We have had many items nerfed because of exploiting game mechanics.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i like how everyone is freaking out and giving alternatives on how this cat should be skinned.
at the end of the day the decision has already been made, we are being informed of what is happening, its time to move on and find the next hill to die on.
and come on, that person knew when they placed and resized their house that they were gonna get in poop for it sooner or later, lets not pretend we are watering down dads stolen booze out of the liquor cabinet here.
just because they COULD place there doesn't not mean that they SHOULD place there.
that's like cruising into Brit Went and placing a small 7x7 at the bank and saying.... well it placed, no one will make me move it I'm sure!
i find it hard to have any sympathy for a person who would willfully block a common roadway (or in this case a bridge) just because they could.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
There was a house on Europa that was one tile away from the end of the bridge, you would run across and whack into it, pretty annoying, but nothing prevented it being placed there. They could have just made a bridge near the waterfall and made that area a no-place-zone. I don't know why anyone would want a house at the end of the bridge though. Too many times there seems to be an over-zealous knee-jerk reaction to stuff that could be put right with a lot less fuss.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

"The coding allowed it so it's legal" :pie:
Coding allows a lot of things that are unintended.

Abusing what is allowed, but clearly against the rules, is called exploiting. Exploiting is debated about if it's cheating or not, but in multiplayer games, it's pretty universally considered cheating.

Saying that they have to take action in order for it to be considered against the rules is akin to using a Argument from Ignorance fallacy. They are taking action now so anyone saying their inaction is an excuse is now wrong.

FAKEUSERNAME

Adventurer
Housing in this location is nothing new.

It would have been much more simple to just add another bridge.

Instead, Mesanna decided to create a presentation for newsletter content and waste time enforcing her new rules while upsetting some of the few paying subscribers that are left.

Why is this a priority, especially now?

Broadsword has so many other problems, some very serious.

Why even waste time with this?
Regardless, should have went about this a better way.

Way to go Mesanna.

"Sent from my Hotmail account"

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
There are some interesting QoL improvements for New Legacy, I can't help but wonder though why they needed a new shard for these improvements. Surely they would be of more benefit to more players if they had added them to the existing shards, anything that makes the game less 'clicky' for a player-base mainly approaching middle-aged or older would have been very much welcomed. Maybe they will hold them back until after New Legacy is a success or a fail. The cynic in me is still thinking that making things so much easier on NL is a big hook to get players to move shard, who knows what will happen once the less populated shards then become even emptier.

(Taler)

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are some interesting QoL improvements for New Legacy, I can't help but wonder though why they needed a new shard for these improvements. Surely they would be of more benefit to more players if they had added them to the existing shards, anything that makes the game less 'clicky' for a player-base mainly approaching middle-aged or older would have been very much welcomed. Maybe they will hold them back until after New Legacy is a success or a fail. The cynic in me is still thinking that making things so much easier on NL is a big hook to get players to move shard, who knows what will happen once the less populated shards then become even emptier.
NL could just be the proving grounds for new features. Sometimes there are unforeseen consequences of adding/removing things. Season approach could allow them to test new systems before screwing up prod shards permanently.

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You don’t “move” to NL. You can still play on whatever shards you are currently on.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
NL could just be the proving grounds for new features. Sometimes there are unforeseen consequences of adding/removing things. Season approach could allow them to test new systems before screwing up prod shards permanently.
IMO it's going to be a seasonal place to consolidate all the players and updates into a "other" shard experience and a way to reset everyone regularly to prevent number bloat/inflation. You will still have your home shard to transfer off accomplishments and have your house/main characters. I'm very excited for NL, but I agree they announced it way too soon. It reminds me of some people's behavior that they know a good thing to do so they tell everyone they are going to do it, but they just never follow through. That's what it's felt like to me.

There's already a test shard like you're describing. I don't think things from NL are going to move to prod shards.. other than player accomplishments/stuff.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
That's another thing. When you roll up a NL character you will have to move it to the shard of your choice , but you will need an open slot in order to land him .
My main account has nice character already , not really keen on deleting or moving one...

Will definitely be using a newer account to see if this is even worth it . :rolleyes:

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
That's another thing. When you roll up a NL character you will have to move it to the shard of your choice , but you will need an open slot in order to land him .
My main account has nice character already , not really keen on deleting or moving one...

Will definitely be using a newer account to see if this is even worth it . :rolleyes:
You do not HAVE to move your NL char, you may keep him right there to use next season. If you have shard shields you can if you want move your NL char to another shard.