• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS NLS Newsletter #13

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So even houses that been there 10 plus years have to move what if there grandfathered. She just toke out one of the best house spots close to town there.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Not if you can't get over the bridge..I've always hated the houses that were right there...especially the ones that were private..can't even walk off the bridge.

No house should be allowed there imo.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So even houses that been there 10 plus years have to move what if there grandfathered. She just toke out one of the best house spots close to town there.
It happens. You can keep it to yourself for 10 years that you never returned that hammer to your neighbour. But then he might step into your garage one day and see it. Tough luck. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So, does the Hotmail thing extend to "live.com" accounts, or is it specifically "hotmail" by name?

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, does the Hotmail thing extend to "live.com" accounts, or is it specifically "hotmail" by name?
anything owned by Microsoft they report it as hacked site or spam email Microsoft does.

I used to use Hotmail. One day I misspelled it at work and had to quickly close the page.
So everyone knows what you like to look at o.0 To be honest it was about 98 was at work with my dad I was 16 at the time and typed it in with out thinking next thing I remember was close EI reopen and delete history. For 24 years thought i was the only one that did that once.

I also remember using the Forman's pc once and had to look up shipping costs was just filling in for his sick day and started putting Sh in google and the history showed what the person who used that pc 98 percent of the time liked to look at. after that I ended up getting his job.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What caused them to get restricted from receiving Hotmail emails? That's weird. And how many people could possibly be even affected by the house thing? Why's it even in the newsletter. Reach out to them privately. Putting it in the newsletter is just going to cause mock outrage from people not even affected.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Another point ...
Please talk to us calmly and don't YELL at us...

Why ? Don't like LOUD NOISES !!?
Hahahaha

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Another point ...
Please talk to us calmly and don't YELL at us...

Why ? Don't like LOUD NOISES !!?
Hahahaha

Something else I need to speak to you guys about is conduct regarding our GMs and EMs. They are not there to take abuse from players. Please try to remember you will get much further if you are a bit calmer and talk to us not YELL at us. If anyone feels you have been mistreated please feel free to contact me and I will investigate it.

Those poor EMs hear a lot of crap at events that take hours for them to plan and build. They do not need to be yelled at.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Normally I would agree with you , but lately they have been getting what they deserve .
I'd say both sides are guilty of creating LOTS OF STRESS for each other...

And lots of people with vision problems type in ALL CAPS.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
i feel the ems are left hung out to dry, they have to deal with all the angry people that are lagging/crashing due to all the multi chars. wheres the back up? this should not have been allowed to happen. i had to laugh at last atl event where i got sent away to ter mur gate, soon afew others started showing up lol. i guess this happens to prevent shard crash. the multi char use whether cheating or not is interfering with my game play. in my opinion, there should be only one char per person for events. get rid of follow command too. i dont see how the game can ever grow and handle more people at events, will just get worse and worse. i wondering how many people have quit because of these activities. i dont see how i will stay in the game when getting sent away/crashing continue to happen.

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
The EMs are abused an awful lot, primarily by highly competitive players who feel entitled to items. In my observation they do not deserve the abuse and, just being honest, the only way one can come to this conclusion is if one agrees that certain players are entitled to items. I, for one, do not agree, but I can't force anyone to think differently. It's good to see the devs address it but it's basically impossible to believe they'll actually do anything about it.

The idea that all caps is in fact related to vision impairment is a well-conceived misdirection, but the idea that those letters are easier to read is at best controversial. One Google search [people with vision problems type in all caps] reveals, among other things, Perkins E-Learning and Macular Society articles that deny there's any effect and that typing in all caps just makes people with vision problems feel like they're being shouted at. (Like everyone else on the Internet.) The search also reveals one academic article that suggests all caps can be easier to read, but the authors acknowledge that this finding goes against the conventional wisdom. In other words, they acknowledge that conventional wisdom, and the current weight of academic evidence, goes against the notion that all caps is better for readability. Their finding is in the minority.

All told the idea that the all caps we see in-game is somehow related, mostly or even in large part, to such issues lacks merit. It is far more likely that it's what it looks like: Attempting to shout at someone.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The EMs are abused an awful lot, primarily by highly competitive players who feel entitled to items. In my observation they do not deserve the abuse and, just being honest, the only way one can come to this conclusion is if one agrees that certain players are entitled to items. I, for one, do not agree, but I can't force anyone to think differently. It's good to see the devs address it but it's basically impossible to believe they'll actually do anything about it.

The idea that all caps is in fact related to vision impairment is a well-conceived misdirection, but the idea that those letters are easier to read is at best controversial. One Google search [people with vision problems type in all caps] reveals, among other things, Perkins E-Learning and Macular Society articles that deny there's any effect and that typing in all caps just makes people with vision problems feel like they're being shouted at. (Like everyone else on the Internet.) The search also reveals one academic article that suggests all caps can be easier to read, but the authors acknowledge that this finding goes against the conventional wisdom. In other words, they acknowledge that conventional wisdom, and the current weight of academic evidence, goes against the notion that all caps is better for readability. Their finding is in the minority.

All told the idea that the all caps we see in-game is somehow related, mostly or even in large part, to such issues lacks merit. It is far more likely that it's what it looks like: Attempting to shout at someone.

Agree with first paragraph.

LS has players that have vision problems and they do not see the chat unless it is all caps. I know those players names, they are not the ones writing things to the EMs.

But what does this have to do with eyesight? That is just plain ridiculousness from someone that does not attend these events. if you go, you see the comments. Just as you say.

The writer used caps to show you what yelling in a written game is without the need to explain. Using a visual writing style is a problem?

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is a lot of NL info here. 100% success crafting and more.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Not if you can't get over the bridge..I've always hated the houses that were right there...especially the ones that were private..can't even walk off the bridge.

No house should be allowed there imo.
But they have been why not move the bridge

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Just what I need 31 more stable slots for Rabbits. UGH

Looks fun tho.
To go with the pink and purple ones clogging some of my stables yes!!!! can't wait!

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
It's rather disturbing to see folks, especially prominent folks, seriously suggesting to move a feature of the landscape to accommodate questionably placed player housing.

Years ago you could place housing illegally in Destard. Should Destard have been moved instead of the houses removed? Not the same thing you say? You'd be right, of course. But hopefully the point is clear.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's rather disturbing to see folks, especially prominent folks, seriously suggesting to move a feature of the landscape to accommodate questionably placed player housing.

Years ago you could place housing illegally in Destard. Should Destard have been moved instead of the houses removed? Not the same thing you say? You'd be right, of course. But hopefully the point is clear.
Those houses were placed legally. i believe at least one has a historic banner placed by yep a developer. I'm sorry but this is poor customer relations and especially now as the gaming world looks at us in our 25th year..

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They should have never put that in the newsletter. People here are going to make a big deal out of nonsense that probably affects two people and those people probably don't even care. The one person that probably would care, probably placed it there like that on purpose, and they should know houses need one space around the perimeter.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Those houses were placed legally. i believe at least one has a historic banner placed by yep a developer. I'm sorry but this is poor customer relations and especially now as the gaming world looks at us in our 25th year..
Which customer?

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Pretty sure moving the bridge is much more difficult than deleting some houses. The devs rarely edit the static map, likely for good reason.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Most of it is static with just a few tiles missing on each end, yeah?
By static, I mean inside the file "map01.uop" where the base trammel map is stored. Those files aren't easily edited, unless BS has some tool to do it, but they typically don't do it unless they are adding a new expansion or something. Which is what leads me to believe that it's not exactly easy.

Last edited:

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
By static, I mean inside the file "map02.uop" where the base trammel map is stored. Those files aren't easily edited, unless BS has some tool to do it, but they typically don't do it unless they are adding a new expansion or something. Which is what leads me to believe that it's not exactly easy.
They can throw down alters and stuff for the new static spawn...if the can't move bridge then you erase a couple tiles tob grant access to bridge

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are many quality of life changes that could be made to UO without completely changing the game. Most of them were not given to us because of the fear of abuse by scripters & many things were made much harder because of this same fear. But reading some of the features of NL, it seems we are about to enter the feel good about yourself age. While many things in UO are a grind, interacting with the world is what made \ makes UO so different from all the other point and click mmos. So I really am concerned how easymode this philosophy is going to make the future of UO:

" One of our primary design goals with New Legacy is to remove the tedium associated with interacting with the game world as much as possible. "

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
They can throw down alters and stuff for the new static spawn...if the can't move bridge then you erase a couple tiles tob grant access to bridge
It's not as easy as erasing a couple of tiles. You need to edit 3 different client files. Files that they almost never edit, and when they do edit them it is never in the accessible map space it is always in the black areas around the map. I'm not saying that it can't be done, I have done it myself using an older client that still uses the .mul files instead of the newer .uop files. It is not easy to do, even then. I am also not sure what effect moving the bridge would have on the house that is placed there because the house is kept on a separate file than the 3 that are needed to edit "map01.uop"

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My apologies, I pulled up "map01.mul" in my editor just to be sure and it turns out that those bridges are not part of the static map and should be easily editable. Granted these files are from client version 7.0.20.0 and not the newest client, but I highly doubt the file was edited since then. Carry on with your bridge moving talks.
1647398558694.png

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My apologies, I pulled up "map01.mul" in my editor just to be sure and it turns out that those bridges are not part of the static map and should be easily editable. Granted these files are from client version 7.0.20.0 and not the newest client, but I highly doubt the file was edited since then. Carry on with your bridge moving talks.
View attachment 128374
It's a principle thing..unless someone hacked the housing tool those houses were legally placed and the ones I've seen been there forever..who knows maybe next week someone thinks your home too close to wall in luna or should be 3 tiles east so another home can fit.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

As someone who has worked in the Security field and peace keeping field. We are told to write with all caps when doing any kind of writing so it can be read by anyone that needs it. if you have a chance ask a cop if you can see his Memo book if its the one he uses to write down all things about the job it will most likely be in caps. Any lawyer seeing lower case writing and spaces left blank and use it ageist you in court.

I been out of that field for going on 4 years and I still sometimes write in all caps and my daughters teachers at first always asked me then they understood about it when I told them.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's a principle thing..unless someone hacked the housing tool those houses were legally placed and the ones I've seen been there forever..who knows maybe next week someone thinks your home too close to wall in luna or should be 3 tiles east so another home can fit.
You have been whining on these boards about every little thing for who knows how long and you still think the devs care about matters of principle? It's their game, keep paying to play it or not, those are your options.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
As someone who has worked in the Security field and peace keeping field. We are told to write with all caps when doing any kind of writing so it can be read by anyone that needs it. if you have a chance ask a cop if you can see his Memo book if its the one he uses to write down all things about the job it will most likely be in caps. Any lawyer seeing lower case writing and spaces left blank and use it ageist you in court.

I been out of that field for going on 4 years and I still sometimes write in all caps and my daughters teachers at first always asked me then they understood about it when I told them.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You have been whining on these boards about every little thing for who knows how long and you still think the devs care about matters of principle? It's their game, keep paying to play it or not, those are your options.
Pay and complain please

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I always wondered why they didn't put a bridge near the waterfall
(to the west)

==========

I don't understand why they didn't just move the house.
They did that to me in 2008

they moved my house from in front of Skara Brae cotton patch
to several screens away (SE below the vegetable patch)
because someone complained that they couldn't see the cotton
(I didn't know that I wasn't allowed to pick it.
As soon as it spawned i picked it and made bolts of cloth.
At that time, I only had a crafter & I filled bods as I got them)

I was really shocked when I logged in.
Everything was exactly how I had it.
I just had a different view.

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
Those bridges pre date Age of Shadows and no house interfered with movement on those bridges. AoS brought us house customization and some how some of the classic designs when customized overlapped the bridge. Every one knows you are NOT allowed to block access like this and certain players exploited a bug/design flaw that did allow blocking. When exploits are discovered UO normally just took care of them and yes some people lost things. Bonnie gave all players affected by this 1 week notice to move the house or she would. Could Bonnie have picked up the house and moved it, maybe. But if this is an exploit then those people would have been rewarded for it, sorry no.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Those bridges pre date Age of Shadows and no house interfered with movement on those bridges. AoS brought us house customization and some how some of the classic designs when customized overlapped the bridge. Every one knows you are NOT allowed to block access like this and certain players exploited a bug/design flaw that did allow blocking. When exploits are discovered UO normally just took care of them and yes some people lost things. Bonnie gave all players affected by this 1 week notice to move the house or she would. Could Bonnie have picked up the house and moved it, maybe. But if this is an exploit then those people would have been rewarded for it, sorry no.
If the resizing worked correctly they would not have been able to convert or resize now they are punished for possible flawed game mechanics again this boils down to poor customer service..

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
If the resizing worked correctly they would not have been able to convert or resize now they are punished for possible flawed game mechanics again this boils down to poor customer service..
No it boils down to they should have reported it rather than take advantage of it. Please let me know when you find the 100% perfect program.

UNKNOWN of Atlantic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A simple teleport pad by the bridge and done! Easy!
They did this at Felluca chaos Shrine On Atlantic. if you run to certain spot in front of the 18x18 there it throws you east like 8 tiles . I think there used to be a Large Tower there right up against the mountain at one point

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wonder how many speedhackers are going to get caught at the Trinsic Derby? Or at least people running script rails for the most efficient route (perhaps introduce random elements to the race to deter this, like sinkholes opening up, single tile E-Fields/Para Fields popping up at random, etc). I like the changes they make to harvesting in particular. Press one button like "Start Mining/LJing/Fishing" and it auto harvests the surrounding tiles until you cancel it or the resource is exhausted.
Interested to see the stats on the new Rewards from the Treasures of Fey Wrath.

Last edited: