• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gypsy wagons for players

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Okay, it's after 2 a.m. and the idea may be the result of sleep deprivation, but I'm posting it anyway. Since we already have gypsy wagons in UO (and they have a very small footprint) I think it would be a really nice optional addition for players. To keep it from becoming a problem for anyone, restrictions would be necessary. So far, this is what I've envisioned:

- Each account over a year old could purchase a gypsy wagon (one per account - not per character - although like ships, any character on the same account could use it).

- It should be slightly smaller than a 7x7 and could be placed ONLY in areas where other houses wouldn't fit (and reasonably far away from currently placed houses). This way it would not interfere with or prevent normal house placement for other players.

- It would have the same storage capacity as a small classic ship. and like a small ship, it could be emptied, placed in your pack and moved to another location when you're ready to move. I think it would be a fun addition that might appeal to many players who might not want all their characters to share the same house or remain in the same area for long periods of time.

Any other thoughts on this?

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Sounds really cool, as long as they dont try and turn it into a gold sink and cost 100+ mill.
I was thinking it should probably be priced like a high seas ship. It should also be subject to the same rate of decay as ships. The deeds could be sold at gypsy camps in Ilsh (and you could purchase another if you goof and let yours decay, or if you decide to transfer it to another account).

It could also be possible to paint a gypsy wagon, like we can do with high seas ships, so that every wagon doesn't have to look exactly alike.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Came out with this long ago. New art for the rowboat. Moves on land. Driver takes same commands as a boat or same as pet commands given by friended players to a pet. Like an NPC can be told to move if someone is using to block movement. And redeeds to owners backpack if no open space. Keg strapped to side works like a container with security. Redeeded items are dropped like a pack pet gone wild. If parked in city limits guard zone a vendor can be placed and same drop to bankbox rules. Can have other rides artwork like a polar bear sleigh or a crafter buckboard with bulls or fancy elvish carriage with unicorns. 4 pet slots used when land yaht is placed

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm liking this idea. Sounds excellent for RP purposes.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Really hope that we can see these come in. It would add a ton of life to the game and it doesn't seem like it should be that hard to code in since its basically just a land ship.

Bryelle Vaughn

Journeyman
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a gypsy rp'er.. this would be perfect. And the feature of of a vendor to go with it would setup a million and one scenarios. There has been much discussion of holding speeches in Britain.. Magincia and a few other cities. This would greatly assist that as well and lend to the swindlers in stories as well who sell like Miracle hair grow.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd enjoy seeing something like this put in for rpers.

I'd also like to see more background ambiance and seeing gypsy caravans moving from town to town. Perhaps they can sell special gold sink objects based on the town they are in, perhaps they could give quests as well based on the town they are in.

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, it's after 2 a.m. and the idea may be the result of sleep deprivation, but I'm posting it anyway. Since we already have gypsy wagons in UO (and they have a very small footprint) I think it would be a really nice optional addition for players. To keep it from becoming a problem for anyone, restrictions would be necessary. So far, this is what I've envisioned:

- Each account over a year old could purchase a gypsy wagon (one per account - not per character - although like ships, any character on the same account could use it).

- It should be slightly smaller than a 7x7 and could be placed ONLY in areas where other houses wouldn't fit (and reasonably far away from currently placed houses). This way it would not interfere with or prevent normal house placement for other players.

- It would have the same storage capacity as a small classic ship. and like a small ship, it could be emptied, placed in your pack and moved to another location when you're ready to move. I think it would be a fun addition that might appeal to many players who might not want all their characters to share the same house or remain in the same area for long periods of time.

Any other thoughts on this?
This Gypsy wagon should have an anvil and forge + 1600 weight capicity.

Bryelle Vaughn

Journeyman
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd even go so far as suggesting there are themed ones with different addons... cooking, tailoring, etc.
That would work well too. Although then you run into the issue of limiting it one to an account. If that were possible but give a cap of like one per character instead, that would be better.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That would work well too. Although then you run into the issue of limiting it one to an account. If that were possible but give a cap of like one per character instead, that would be better.

Ones that can be decorated are fine, but might be cool to have some pre-fab designs with a few deco extras on grass within parameters. Perhaps the cooking pre-fab comes with a small fire and logs around it outside for people to sit with a spit of rabbit on the fire. Perhaps the anvil forge one has the anvil/forge outside with some smith deco. I respectfully disagree and say one per account or have it take the place of a house. As much as I personally would love to have it be one per character, I don't think it would work. I know Atlantic is tight on larger housing spots and the thought of the population being able to place 5-7 each of these is a bit worrisome. It has to be a balance. It won't be just rpers using these and the potential for a cluttered mess is high.

Ariana Lenoir[3:53 pm] She has all the subtlety of a rampaging elephant.
Also. Love the quote. Heh

Bryelle Vaughn

Journeyman
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I respectfully disagree and say one per account or have it take the place of a house. As much as I personally would love to have it be one per character, I don't think it would work. I know Atlantic is tight on larger housing spots and the thought of the population being able to place 5-7 each of these is a bit worrisome. It has to be a balance. It won't be just rpers using these and the potential for a cluttered mess is high.
Perhaps a middle ground then in as much as a feature to switch the pre-fab from say Tailoring to cooking at some point much the way you can switch a Hearth of the Home Fire directionally when you re-deco?

Also. Love the quote. Heh
*winks* It came from the smartest person I know.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
that is a pretty sweet idea, traveling merchant with a wagon that is.

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I love this idea. It would really add a ton and it could be used in so many ways for those that play on more then one shard. It might help bring some folks to Siege too as at least they would have this for storage.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the gypsy wagon land ship idea, but I'd also like other wagons too like a regular wagon for transporting goods (storage hold) and a carriage for all those new noble folk out there with their fancy new titles.

M

MrUbiquity

Could always go with pads to place forges/looms/etc like the Brit ship. I'd love to have one to park at a spawn to hold the scrolls for safekeeping... but that'd probably tick off all the PvP raiders...

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Could always go with pads to place forges/looms/etc like the Brit ship. I'd love to have one to park at a spawn to hold the scrolls for safekeeping... but that'd probably tick off all the PvP raiders...
Make it so it can be damaged just like the ships in fel but by players.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:) while this is a fabulous idea, I've a feeling problems of the z axis may cause insurmountable technical problems - the sea is flat, the land isn't. I'd like to be wrong, but just in case, I don't think I'll get my hopes up too high on this one.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
:) while this is a fabulous idea, I've a feeling problems of the z axis may cause insurmountable technical problems - the sea is flat, the land isn't. I'd like to be wrong, but just in case, I don't think I'll get my hopes up too high on this one.
When first proposing the idea, I didn't envision the wagon actually moving after it was placed... just able to be redeeded when the player wanted to move it to another location.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Please forgive the "bump". The thread did receive a bit of interest initially... and I want a gypsy wagon so bad I can almost taste it! :p

W

Woodsman

It would be fitting given the anniversary of UO and the recent announcement of Ultima Forever, based on Ultima IV.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, I didn't think about the z-axis issues so to prevent undo stress on the dev team, I'd go old gypsy's idea. I'd still suggest offering different types of carts. Also, I'd imagine you'd have to refresh them like you refresh ships? This would prevent wagons from covering the entire landscape.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The size of houses got mentioned above. How about making all sizes of houses and the wagons have the same max storage as an 18x18. I have the huge house I do primarily for the storage and would downsize it if I could do so without losing the storage amount I have. Just have every house, from wagon to 18x18 have the same storage as an 18x18 has now. This would likely free up a fair bit of housing space.

Say have the useable wagon interior be something like 3x7. A walkway with lockdowns to either side of it.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Yeah, I didn't think about the z-axis issues so to prevent undo stress on the dev team, I'd go old gypsy's idea. I'd still suggest offering different types of carts. Also, I'd imagine you'd have to refresh them like you refresh ships? This would prevent wagons from covering the entire landscape.
Different types should be possible (we have different types of ships). And yes, I'd think they should have to be refreshed like ships. Actually, the main difference between ships and gypsy wagons, other than the graphics, would be the inability of wagons to move once they are placed. To move them you'd have to redeed them (again, like ships). Storage should be the same, too. As for lock downs, the Britiannian Ship has two lock downs. Heck, it should be easy. :) *crosses fingers*

One more thing... if possible, it would be nice to be able to log out inside the wagon.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Since the basic art is already in the game (maybe might need a little tweaking), I keep hoping this is an idea that may actually receive Dev attention. *crosses fingers*

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This idea has already been added to the game. The storage shed add-on is essentially this idea minus he being able to be placed in the wilderness part.

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This was something we talked about when working on the garden shed and toyed with idea of free range garden sheds. Ultimately it was decided to restrict them to housing due to some of the challenges with getting storage to work outside of a house, and also the issue with placing these in the world and any griefing that may be the result. As far as gypsy wagons, as Petra mentioned, the fact that the land is not flat creates a huge technical hurdle that would make something like this very difficult. Awesome idea none the less though!

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
This idea has already been added to the game. The storage shed add-on is essentially this idea minus he being able to be placed in the wilderness part.
Actually, it would have more functionality than the storage shed, since it would (in concept) actually be a portable tiny home that could be lived in like the tents in the early days of UO.

Note: By "portable" I don't mean it can move like a wagon over terrain - I just mean it could be redeeded and moved when emptied.

Last edited:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So what about the gypsy wagon art that was created? It exists, I've seen it. Couldn't it be used for temporary static storage, like tents used to be? Great RP opportunities there.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kyronix
..... As far as gypsy wagons, as Petra mentioned, the fact that the land is not flat creates a huge technical hurdle that would make something like this very difficult. Awesome idea none the less though!
Yes, and I think we all understand the serious difficulty involved, in order to have the wagons actually "move". And I think the reference to "land is not flat" is assuming that you believe we want the ability to drive one around (which would be most incredibly awesome, but not in the least practical in our real world). We don't need the ability for the wagon to actually move. It could be considered just another house (but obviously smaller with appropriate storage)... The deed could be placed anywhere there is a spot for a house - without any serious hurdles that I can think of. Make it affordable, for the new. Perhaps allow one per account - and if you already have a house, then you could have it borrow some amount from their current home's lockdowns to use for one Gypsy Wagon.

All of that could be discussed of course, to fill in whatever I'm forgetting..... Like not letting it be placed in any spot that has had a house fall in the past hour (that would nip that one in the bud)... Doing idoc's? Sure, if there's room adjoining or nearby then slap one down.... If there's a spot available big enough and you're the first one there - then I reckon you deserve it....

I mean, the possibilities are endless if you take out any necessity for this Gypsy Wagon to actually roll... Give it "Gypsy Home" status on the housing menu - that would work fine I think. Just make it smaller than the current smallest home (small enough to fit in spots that are not quite large enough for the smallest classic house, for instance.)

So what about the gypsy wagon art that was created? It exists, I've seen it. Couldn't it be used for temporary static storage, like tents used to be? Great RP opportunities there.
Dot Warner : I think this may be what you're referring to (below). Not sure of the source, but have heard the concept was kicked around sufficiently to devote an artist to it. Perhaps, with any luck, we can make it happen this time.

Last edited:

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Oh, Startle, you explain things so much better than I do! Thank you, thank you, thank you! :thumbsup:

Kyronix

Yes, and I think we all understand the serious difficulty involved, in order to have the wagons actually "move". And I think the reference to "land is not flat" is assuming that you believe we want the ability to drive one around (which would be most incredibly awesome, but not in the least practical in our real world). We don't need the ability for the wagon to actually move. It could be considered just another house (but obviously smaller with appropriate storage)... The deed could be placed anywhere there is a spot for a house - without any serious hurdles that I can think of. Make it affordable, for the new. Perhaps allow one per account - and if you already have a house, then you could have it borrow some amount from their current home's lockdowns to use for one Gypsy Wagon.

All of that could be discussed of course, to fill in whatever I'm forgetting..... Like not letting it be placed in any spot that has had a house fall in the past hour (that would nip that one in the bud)... Doing idoc's? Sure, if there's room adjoining or nearby then slap one down.... If there's a spot available big enough and you're the first one there - then I reckon you deserve it....

I mean, the possibilities are endless if you take out any necessity for this Gypsy Wagon to actually roll... Give it "Gypsy Home" status on the housing menu - that would work fine I think. Just make it smaller than the current smallest home (small enough to fit in spots that are not quite large enough for the smallest classic house, for instance.)

Dot Warner : I think this may be what you're referring to (below). Not sure of the source, but have heard the concept was kicked around sufficiently to devote an artist to it. Perhaps, with any luck, we can make it happen this time.

Last edited:

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
And just one more thought: In the event this idea was ever implemented, the gypsy house could have to be refreshed, like we have to do with ships, or risk it going *poof*. That way it's unlikely to be placed and then abandoned to become landscape litter.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And just one more thought: In the event this idea was ever implemented, the gypsy house could have to be refreshed, like we have to do with ships, or risk it going *poof*. That way it's unlikely to be placed and then abandoned to become landscape litter.
I like this idea only if the deed for it returned to you ...... Perhaps to your bank box? Maybe you can link it to your box so that if you were on another shard perhaps you could have a temp home? And what would be even better would be if you could set up a "box" in it like a vendor... So folk could use them for alike a Festival to sell stuff. Would be REALLY neat. And the RP potential of that rises 10 fold..... especially if inside you could place a few items like looms, small forge..... etc. Or if they had perhaps a zone of 5 tiles in front of their door where you could place deeded items temporarily that would be a coding nightmare but would be soo super cool.

Last edited:

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I like this idea only if the deed for it returned to you ...... Perhaps to your bank box? Maybe you can link it to your box so that if you were on another shard perhaps you could have a temp home? And what would be even better would be if you could set up a "box" in it like a vendor... So folk could use them for alike a Festival to sell stuff. Would be REALLY neat. And the RP potential of that rises 10 fold..... especially if inside you could place a few items like looms, small forge..... etc. Or if they had perhaps a zone of 5 tiles in front of their door where you could place deeded items temporarily that would be a coding nightmare but would be soo super cool.
There are just so many ways this could be a boon to players, and the role play possibilities excite me most of all! :)

Note: It would be kind of cool if the deed could only be purchased from a vendor at a gypsy camp.

Last edited:

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Kyronix

I would totally drive one around it would fit nicely with my role play.

We already have roads throughout the land. It would make sense that really it could travel those and open grass land. Trees, mountains, hills steep hills you could walk up just get in the way.

I would like a vendor or two on it. lol That would be very nice.

It travels but it doesn't travel everywhere just where it makes sense. Heck it probably wouldn't fit through a moongate. Fine by me.

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would totally drive one around it would fit nicely with my role play....

I think that Kyronix already put the kabash on it being mobile. Too many coding hurdles (unless they just gave it the code of a blue beetle and increased the storage a bit - but even that has it's hurdles, coding wise).
No, I think most all would be perfectly happy with it being considered a "mini house" and subject to most the same rules. And like I said, if you already have a house - then allow one per account and let us take some of our house storage away from our main house (up to some reasonable limit, like 300 items or something)... Bottom line is that asking for it to be truly mobile (as in actually riding in one like a horse) would break the deal.

Just give it "Gypsy House" status on the housing menu.... * Hoping Kyronix will talk to us further about this*...