• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gumshoe quest pictures

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't know if they made finding the cipher book easier or I'm just lucky, but I just got it on my very first try clicking a bookshelf so that was nice.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I don't know if they made finding the cipher book easier or I'm just lucky, but I just got it on my very first try clicking a bookshelf so that was nice.
I spent an hour and a half looking for it last night...got frustrated and gave up....this morning? 2 minutes...:/ Guess you just gotta be lucky!

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I spent an hour and a half looking for it last night...got frustrated and gave up....this morning? 2 minutes...:/ Guess you just gotta be lucky!
Its also depends if you get it on first try or third or fourth which can happen, then you try another bookcase not knowing you had the right one just in front of you. My third time doing it I tried every bookcase at least 2 times before I moved on to the next, but it changed room 2 times before I finally found it on my third try on the same bookcase.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What I found when I hit the look for book part, was that the message didn't appear on the screen like it did for the other things, it instead is in a subtle journal message, so I passed by the location several times and never knew it was there.

Sinder Shayde

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I did this quest with guild mates for a total of 8 runs. We found that gargoyles cannot complete the Prentice part of the quest. I posted on the official forum so hopefully they read it tomorrow morning.

I also did the quest with several chars and found my gargoyle can not complete the Book step at the Lycaeum. I will post on the forums as well.
I did this quest with guild mates for a total of 8 runs. We found that gargoyles cannot complete the Prentice part of the quest. I posted on the official forum so hopefully they read it tomorrow morning.

Sinder Shayde

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Giving a Big Thank You shout out to everyone who helped in providing any kinda help/knowledge in this gumshoe quest!
I myself would never have figured half of this out and would absolutely be stuck, somewhere!....so Thank You,:)

Garfield

Visitor
I'm still curious: what sentences in the tombstones allowed you to figure out that there was a Caesar cipher? I was trying to combine sentences and all I came up with was "Character count from the first letter" or "From the first character count letter with a shifty character"... Specially since the word count was there, I assumed a number would be involved in unlocking the doors :S

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And has to wear the stupid necklace, what a dumb idea.
Are you serious right now? I have to wear the necklace to get into khaldun?? It's not even blessed on siege, so I have to use my siege bless on it, or potentially lose access to the whole event. Is that correct? If so, what the holy hell?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Only have to wear to enter the camp. Lol our fel one does not have a camp so there's no need for a necklace there.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Are you serious right now? I have to wear the necklace to get into khaldun?? It's not even blessed on siege, so I have to use my siege bless on it, or potentially lose access to the whole event. Is that correct? If so, what the holy hell?
Once you enter you can bank it ASAP right there in the camp outside the Dungeon...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Once you enter you can bank it ASAP right there in the camp outside the Dungeon...
Yeah, I went down there, and discovered that you can also get in through the other entrance and come out in that area as well. *phew*

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I haven't checked lately, but I think Papua on Arirang is still ophidian-infested, in case you're going to do the Gumshoe quest there.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Have to start in at britain commons rest of the town criers arent working

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are the tools for getting caddelite crafting materials super-expensive on every shard? I looked on Balhae and they cost over 100k each.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are the tools for getting caddelite crafting materials super-expensive on every shard? I looked on Balhae and they cost over 100k each.
Yup We have been clamoring for Gold Sinks apparently.

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is the necklace the same blue color on every shard? I thought it would of been cool if each shard would have gotten a shard specific color.

panoramix2009

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i got the rolled parchment britain vesper moonglow

but i got this when i said the awnser for enter inside yew trap why?

what i miss?
Screen Shot 09-23-18 at 02.45 AM.PNG

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
There are no spoilers here, just the facts ladies and gents.

Brit - Boreas
Yew: tenebrea
glow: carthax
Vesper: moriens

How did they do it? Caesar Cipher - Shift Cipher - Decoder, Encoder, Solver, Translator.

Skills needed for this (ZERO) Inscription, Forensic Evaluation, Detecting Hidden, Spirit Speak.

Special thanks to Dara and so many others for leading the way. I salute you all

Now What to do and how to to do it, seek your town cryer, the one in the Brit Common area is the best for this mission!

Once you have taken the quest seek out Jasper over in East Brit area, right across from the banking area there. Office hours are 24/7.

Now he is going to send you to the Brit GY. There you will see the grave digger, a wealth of information this boy is. Be sure to use Forensic on the (and all others GYs as well) damaged headstone

Be sure to have your skills ready thru out the quest. Follow the blooded footprints to the first building near the first damaged headstone. Inside your keen senses will detect something, use detected hidden to locate that, then use your forensic skill to found the trap doors, (again do this at all locations).

Now once thru the trap door you are going to be in a small cavern, look for a mysterious book, and once more use those skills, here its inscription, do this at all four locations. Return to Jasper, where he will tell you to go to Moonglow, seek out Prentice the Cryptolgist, a really down to earth gent he be. Not only will you feel like you back in school again you have to seek the book from the vast library they have here to help with your mission.

Again detect hidden will be your friend once your keen senses kick in at a location. The book will move, I blame all of his students there playing tricks on us. So be prepared to search (walk up and down) every building rows and rows of books. Once found return to the Cryptolgist. Then return to Jasper. Now here it gets muddy somehow after seeing Jasper we were sent to Papau to speak to a Ghost! Once more your skills will be needed.

Are you with me so far? Or are you as lost as I was during this entire event. Follow the clues, seek the trap doors use the code words at all the GY, copy the books seek Jasper multi times, travel to Moonglow Library, talk to a ghost, get a reward title from jasper and a necklace (badge) to get to the secret camp in the lost lands, buy the tools you need and chop trees, fish, and mine that ore, Good luck, I am sure I will see many of you running around in the lost lands and later inside the Dungeon next month.

View attachment 87193 View attachment 87194 View attachment 87195 View attachment 87196 View attachment 87197 View attachment 87198 View attachment 87199 View attachment 87200 View attachment 87201 View attachment 87202 View attachment 87203 View attachment 87204 View attachment 87205 View attachment 87206 View attachment 87207 View attachment 87208
Brit - Boreas Yew: tenebrae glow: carthax Vesper: moriens

DeSule

Visitor
A few observations about this.. some of it's been stated, some not.

A guide has been posted if you haven't seen it already:
Going Gumshoe...an Investigative Report

If you're looking to complete this quest by reading everything and sort of "figuring it out along with a guide", following the story & the rhyme and reason along the way :
- There's some very obtuse hints that ciphers/crytology is involved, but not caesar so far as I can tell.
- There's no hint to the number of shifts each 'key' requires so far as I can tell.
- I've yet to figure out WHY cultists hid these clues around.
- You never actually decipher what any of the books say...

And mechanically:
Forensics and Detect hidden WILL fail on you. As stated before, try multiple times on bookshelves. I found that was the case even when looking for trapdoors.
I switched to a character with 80 detect hidden and found the book in the lycaeum part in pretty short order.
The book's location in the lycaeum DOES move.

Finally, at the end, you get a title deed and an item. The item is a necklace and will let you pass into the meteor area. It is blessed (perhaps it wasn't before? it definitely is now) and is not shard/character/account bound. If you found this quest to be miserable and nonsensical, it does not need to be repeated.

The tinker in the camp has a fishing pole, pickaxe, and hatchet for obtaining cadellite-infused stuffs. They cost 100k-ish each.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Who said anything about a bell? Yes it's a PITA to find the book..like I said the first night I looked for an hour and a half and didn't find it..the next morning I found it within 3 minutes. My suggestion? Wait until the book moves into the room where the Crypto guy is, there are WAY less bookcases in there...with the time delay between using Detect it takes awhile to find it...so...wait until the book moves into that back room, put detect on a hotkey, sometimes it fails so you have to detect the bookcases more then once.

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apparently several hours ago there was a hot fix....good thing - now you can no longer teleport in and out of the camp. They increased the area of non-teleport zone, so if you marked runes near the guards, those spots no longer work.

But they really need to fix the book thing. I turned off Circle of Transparecy just for annoys sake. And when I brought a 2nd char while book was still there, I was not able to find it by clicking the same spot on the bookcase.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Gargoyles have 0 inherent detect hidden skill. Humans have 20 from JOAT and Elves have a racial bonus of 40 (if I remember correctly). Thus a gargoyle cannot find the book in the Lycaeum unless you have some real detect hidden skill. Try finding a Thief Guildmaster and buying 33 skill. It will work then. My friends and I confirmed this tonight.

Here are some more hints:

Each cemetery's clue has a different solution.

Each solution is a word. There are no numbers. Capitalization does not appear to matter.

The last name on each gravestone is the key.

You need to use the last name on the gravestone with a caesar cipher to get the code for that city cemetery's floor hatch.

Use the inscription skill on the "Mysterious Book" in each hidden supply cache to generate the clues you will need to talk to Inspector Jasper. You don't need the inscription skill or blank scrolls or books to do this, at least not as a human.

Don't steal the stuff in the containers in the hidden supply caches. It will get stuck in your pack and a GM will have to remove it.

I don't want to totally give it away, but the above hints plus what is in game should get you to the next step.

I had thought the clues would be more game-related than they were (see my above post about the Sweet Dreams Inn). Unless I missed something, which is possible, they were not. It was brute force for me. I would have tried what I did eventually, but the clues, to me, did not indicate that was the direction to go. The solutions do not have any particular meaning that I am aware of (though that does not mean they have no meaning at all, as I am not super familiar with extended Ultima lore).
I will wait until next year. I don't even understand what these clues mean.

uokings7

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is where I find the book in the lycaeum. I think its random inside the room. You just have to keep searching the bookcases. booklocation.png

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The book seems to move to a new location every 15 min or so

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
if u have gargoyle that cant get the message about detecting object, use soul stone and take a skill off and go buy detect hidden from guildmaster thief in haven, 29.3 or so. now u can get message, when done, point down and put skill u took off, back on your char.

Miss Twilight Eyes

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also did the quest with several chars and found my gargoyle can not complete the Book step at the Lycaeum. I will post on the forums as well.
None of my three gargoyles nor a friend's garg can complete the quest either. Guh, I suppose I'll try to buy some skill.

McValdemar

Visitor
Have DetHid to 35% but still I wasted yesterday and today more tha one hou and half to detect hidden the bookcase with no result.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Have DetHid to 35% but still I wasted yesterday and today more tha one hou and half to detect hidden the bookcase with no result.
You know the bookcase moves every few min so keep walking around after you try a few times and see if it has moved... you should get the message when you are in the right area... if you think you checked all those bookcases try walking out and back in to see if you get the message again, if you don't then the book has moved and you'll have to find it again.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've completed the quest a few times with elven characters that had 0 detect hidden skill. Like Malagaste said, you have to make sure that you're still getting the "keen senses" message in the room or you are just wasting your time.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've completed the quest a few times with elven characters that had 0 detect hidden skill. Like Malagaste said, you have to make sure that you're still getting the "keen senses" message in the room or you are just wasting your time.
Elves have 40 natural detection.