• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gumshoe quest pictures

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Even your spoiler makes no sense.....or I've just gotten really really dumber over the years.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't even want the final alpha num combo, I just want to know how in the holy hell anyone figured that out using only in game materials and not some damn 3rd party websight...

James Krieg

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I'm sure the numbers are great and all, but uh not sure if we are looking for whole words, numbers and letters, numbers, spacing, no idea really. No i'm not a code cipher. heck send me a private message with the answer if ya dont wanna post it.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's definitely not a matter of anyone being stupid or old. The clues are just a bit too obscure.

Each headstone holds an overall clue nudging you towards what do and a word that is a cipher. It just probably needs to be more blatant.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Here are some more hints:

Each cemetery's clue has a different solution.

Each solution is a word. There are no numbers. Capitalization does not appear to matter.

The last name on each gravestone is the key.

You need to use the last name on the gravestone with a caesar cipher to get the code for that city cemetery's floor hatch.

Use the inscription skill on the "Mysterious Book" in each hidden supply cache to generate the clues you will need to talk to Inspector Jasper. You don't need the inscription skill or blank scrolls or books to do this, at least not as a human.

Don't steal the stuff in the containers in the hidden supply caches. It will get stuck in your pack and a GM will have to remove it.

I don't want to totally give it away, but the above hints plus what is in game should get you to the next step.

I had thought the clues would be more game-related than they were (see my above post about the Sweet Dreams Inn). Unless I missed something, which is possible, they were not. It was brute force for me. I would have tried what I did eventually, but the clues, to me, did not indicate that was the direction to go. The solutions do not have any particular meaning that I am aware of (though that does not mean they have no meaning at all, as I am not super familiar with extended Ultima lore).

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It was perhaps not the greatest idea to make a cryptographic cipher mandatory for this quest in a game mostly played by people who have no experience whatsoever with decryption...but at least a couple people were luckily able to figure it out I guess.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's definitely not a matter of anyone being stupid or old. The clues are just a bit too obscure.

Each headstone holds an overall clue nudging you towards what do and a word that is a cipher. It just probably needs to be more blatant.
Please enlighten me and tell me what clue exactly at the britain graveyard tells me I need to go to any other graveyard but that one, to find out the alpha/numeric code for the Britain GY ? When I open up my quest log, all that Jasper said was to go to the Britain Graveyard, now I get that there are 3 other GYs, and that each of those also has the same type of lock and a headstone that needs to be decyphered, but what I don't get is how anything in the Brit GY leads anyone to another GY before they've actually opened the first lock.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Please enlighten me and tell me what clue exactly at the britain graveyard tells me I need to go to any other graveyard but that one, to find out the alpha/numeric code for the Britain GY ? When I open up my quest log, all that Jasper said was to go to the Britain Graveyard, now I get that there are 3 other GYs, and that each of those also has the same type of lock and a headstone that needs to be decyphered, but what I don't get is how anything in the Brit GY leads anyone to another GY before they've actually opened the first lock.
The tombstone in Britain. Read it carefully. It lists things.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here are some more hints:

Each cemetery's clue has a different solution.

Each solution is a word. There are no numbers. Capitalization does not appear to matter.

The last name on each gravestone is the key.

You need to use the last name on the gravestone with a caesar cipher to get the code for that city cemetery's floor hatch.

Use the inscription skill on the "Mysterious Book" in each hidden supply cache to generate the clues you will need to talk to Inspector Jasper. You don't need the inscription skill or blank scrolls or books to do this, at least not as a human.

Don't steal the stuff in the containers in the hidden supply caches. It will get stuck in your pack and a GM will have to remove it.

I don't want to totally give it away, but the above hints plus what is in game should get you to the next step.

I had thought the clues would be more game-related than they were (see my above post about the Sweet Dreams Inn). Unless I missed something, which is possible, they were not. It was brute force for me. I would have tried what I did eventually, but the clues, to me, did not indicate that was the direction to go. The solutions do not have any particular meaning that I am aware of (though that does not mean they have no meaning at all, as I am not super familiar with extended Ultima lore).
What in the holy f.....if numbers ARENT required for the code why in the hell does it say its an alpha/numeric lock ?.....good lord

Sadie-

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The logic that led me to other cemeteries was thinking that by visiting these other cities I would find clues about Thomas Vilyum that would let me open the hatch. First I thought to check the city he lived in which is moonglow. So I looked for his house in moonglow and came up empty, then it occurred to me maybe there was something in the city he was born so I checked Vesper and thought maybe his parents were dead so I went to the cemetery. When visiting the cemetery I found another damaged headstone and trap door which ultimately led me to checking all the cemeteries.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The logic that led me to other cemeteries was thinking that by visiting these other cities I would find clues about Thomas Vilyum that would let me open the hatch. First I thought to check the city he lived in which is moonglow. So I looked for his house in moonglow and came up empty, then it occurred to me maybe there was something in the city he was born so I checked Vesper and thought maybe his parents were dead so I went to the cemetery. When visiting the cemetery I found another damaged headstone and trap door which ultimately led me to checking all the cemeteries.
Yeah I did that too, after hours of frustration, which lead me to nothing...so...tell me how you figured out the code for the britain gy, and please don't tell me you went to a 3rd party websight to use some hack cheat because if that's the case, I'm stopping now and don't even want to bother finishing this. I'm sorry to sound like a lunatic but this **** infuriates me...I feel like I've been told to search for an orange ball and I've looked and looked but can't find it, and then Kyronix is going to reply later and say "my bad , we meant for you to look for a red ball"..

Sadie-

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah I did that too, after hours of frustration, which lead me to nothing...so...tell me how you figured out the code for the britain gy, and please don't tell me you went to a 3rd party websight to use some hack cheat because if that's the case, I'm stopping now and don't even want to bother finishing this. I'm sorry to sound like a lunatic but this **** infuriates me...I feel like I've been told to search for an orange ball and I've looked and looked but can't find it, and then Kyronix is going to reply later and say "my bad , we meant for you to look for a red ball"..

Ah no my mistake. I haven't figured out the codes at all. I don't know code breaking and I have no interest in learning. There should be in game clues that give the answers or explicitly tell some how to do it. I quit the quest and figured out you can just teleport into the caddellite area to get the tools to begin farming. Stuffs stupid.

Eon Blue Apocalypse

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Ah no my mistake. I haven't figured out the codes at all. I don't know code breaking and I have no interest in learning. There should be in game clues that give the answers or explicitly tell some how to do it. I quit the quest and figured out you can just teleport into the caddellite area to get the tools to begin farming. Stuffs stupid.
I did originally as well. Have you been able to get any artifacts for turn in though? I haven't got any from the 20 min I was there. If I don't have to do this lame quest/coding whatever the hell I would love to just teleport in and farm. I thought the quest let you receive the artifacts.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There needs to be a book...a readable one...in game that talks about cryptography enough to make it obvious what you need to do.

Fortunately, EM Malachi on GL used to do codes of various kinds for all the spy events so enough(?) of his regulars should be able to spot the clues.

The problem here is that the shifted passwords needed to look like names, which means the shifts can be large (thus few people want to pursue the process).

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I think I was the first one to do this and shared it with others

I gave up on the quest as well

The cult drop rate is insanely low by the way

I have over 1600 luck and have only got 2 cult artifacts in 6 plus hours

Merth

Journeyman
How about pics of trapdoors i cant find britain one for anything i see its near the obelisk but cant find it

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Uhm.. guys, the Treasures of Khaldun isn't turned on. That starts Oct. 1.

Right now it's all about resource gathering and crafting.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Uhm.. guys, the Treasures of Khaldun isn't turned on. That starts Oct. 1.

Right now it's all about resource gathering and crafting.
I have 1 point already and 1 more artifact to turn in

It’s turned on but insanely low drop rate

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think I was the first one to do this and shared it with others

I gave up on the quest as well

The cult drop rate is insanely low by the way

I have over 1600 luck and have only got 2 cult artifacts in 6 plus hours

How!!!

And your hints sux. @Dot_Warner

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So, got past all 4 trapdoors, got the clues, turned them in, went to the next place, talked to the cryptographer, and now no idea what. Hints?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, got past all 4 trapdoors, got the clues, turned them in, went to the next place, talked to the cryptographer, and now no idea what. Hints?
This part of the quest appears to be bugged, at least it is on GL.

You're supposed to find a hidden book in one of the Lycaeum's bookcases. I have two characters who never get the message when you're close. Sigh.

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This part of the quest appears to be bugged, at least it is on GL.

You're supposed to find a hidden book in one of the Lycaeum's bookcases. I have two characters who never get the message when you're close. Sigh.
I get the message, but I can't figure out how to see the hidden book.

Xare

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
"You can see nothing hidden there" When used on the bookcase and every tile around it.