• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

FoF : What about SA?

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

<blockquote><hr>

At least let you guys know that work is preceding, things are getting done, and the sky is not falling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I

imported_Heartseeker

lol.

I think I wet myself reading that.

So true though.

B

Babble

I agree the developers are measured on their results and those suck for quite a while now.

Jeremy if you think we judge the developers wrongly you can add what each developer did when a patch comes. Then maybe we can judge better and the developers can show off.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I completely understand your view on this. My options are two-fold right now:

1) Say nothing until we have something to say.

2) At least let you guys know that work is preceding, things are getting done, and the sky is not falling.

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem is that in the eyes of many players, the sky already fell and EAMythic's credibility is in ruins.

There is an option 3: set some priorities that are modest enough that they can be delivered as promised, even if its timely toggling on/off of seasonal events. Once we have proof that little stuff can be done successfully and on time, perhaps we'll be willing to trust again when it comes to the more ambitious plans.

(things like the weekly update to the website documentation Jeremy does are a good step in this direction)

G

<blockquote><hr>

And Leurocian, and Mesanna, and Supreem, and Serado, and Grimm, and Yvette, whose handle I can NEVER remember, and Chrissay, who's new to the dev side but kicking ass and taking names, and a number of other people that I have to go remind to write intro posts for themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to get embroiled in something like this, but it seems a good enough place to put some opinions, how many are developers, how many are artists and how many are engineers?
How big are each of these individual teams as apposed to all of them rolled into one to sound better?

I've been sitting back waiting to see what the next set of long term goals will be, the ones that have taken a month create, which will replace the other long term goals recently scrapped before the end of the last short term ones were complete.

To me, not once in this game's history has the situation appeared so dire, and yet the playerbase is hung out to dry with no solid information, not even scraps of speculation.
This patch we should be heralding for example, it sounds to me like it's simply maintenance with some stuff created before it's designers were fired over 2 months ago pushed in for measure.
Oh, and an event..

I like events, I've commented on this several times in the past, I think they're great, even when I don't get involved personally, they're a real benefit to the game, but how many have we ever played out from start to finish, continuously?
How many have been allowed to run the course and actually cash in on their potential benefit?
They're never allowed to play out properly and truly live up to their potential, at this point I have little interest in another event we'll never see the end of, or one who's mechanics will be converted to fairground rides on a test center by a single devoted developer, willing to sacrifice free time just so we can at least see them.

We have heard nothing for over 2 months while the team, that giant team, moved, and got settled in. Well they are now, what's the plan?

I know marketing and management can be a pancake, but I don't see why in this case. Why aren't you allowed to tell the players of the game the plans for it's future, you've already come up with them, right?
Who has to approve them still?
Why does it take them so long?
Explain the process to us, and exactly why it's held up. There's no promises involved there, it's solid information about the game. I can't imagine any possible reason why it'd be secret, it's not like it could demoralize people, when you've been laying in bull dung for 2 months, being rolled into horse dung won't change your outlook on the situation, if anything it'd be a nice change of scenery.

P

pallas

<blockquote><hr>

you've been laying in bull dung for 2 months, being rolled into horse dung

[/ QUOTE ]

stop trying to sound sexy.

I

imported_Heartseeker

You stop it.

You're cracking me up.

Man there has been some very vocal action here today.

Looks like the natives/vets are getting restless/ready to strike.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

We actually have a web team that does design. I can do basic HTML, but that's about it.

[/ QUOTE ]You guys need a designer dedicated to UO? I'm being serious. I'd do it on the weekends from home for at least a fair stipend. Because, seriously, that site hasn't gotten any worthwhile attention on years, and it's about time that it does. First and foremost, it's time to at very least unify the look to the site. No, that's second. First is to make the new home page graphically appealing.

Not trying to be rude, either. Just really think that if there's a web team working on it, they've failed horribly at doing so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that, I'll do it, and would do a better job at it, even with my full load of classes and working.

G

<blockquote><hr>

And Leurocian, and Mesanna, and Supreem, and Serado, and Grimm, and Yvette, whose handle I can NEVER remember, and Chrissay, who's new to the dev side but kicking ass and taking names, and a number of other people that I have to go remind to write intro posts for themselves.

This is a team full of die-hard UO loyalists - say what you like about management, marketing, or me, but never doubt that the folks on the ground are busting various body parts, every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if those 'loyalists' offer us up the same crap this Valentines day as last year (ala Christmas) please keep it and don't give out anything.

That was quite insulting.

Lord Kotan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

We are DESPERATELY in need of a state uo UO address as posted a few days ago.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol...

That would be good

G

Bob,

You have a long way to go before you have the credibility to say something like that and actually have the people think Mythic is going to deliever anything.

How long has it been since Mondain's Legacy.....

And there are people paid to do something for this game.....

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

If the planned event is just Valentines day, I think it might be a good idea to also turn on ToT3 (bEnableTOT = 1), or its going to be ugly come Feb 14.

P

pallas

<blockquote><hr>

If the planned event is just Valentines day, I think it might be a good idea to also turn on ToT3 (bEnableTOT = 1), or its going to be ugly come Feb 14.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha can this be used as a sig??

C

Cellmate

<blockquote><hr>

Greetings all,

The UO Team has settled in nicely and it's great to have them on-site. There have been a number of meetings regarding our short-term and long-term goals and plans, and the most effective way to meet those. Yes, we have things coming, including much more information. No, we aren't ready to share that information yet. Granted that's not much of an answer other than to say that we have lots in store for UO and you are going to have to wait a bit longer to find out. We know the community wants more info and we are doing everything we can to speed up this process.

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, for once I'm almost dumbstruck by this load... no wait, not load...half load..not even half load...I'll go with small, flippant morsel of trite lip-service. Please note I did say "almost"!

That's the best you can offer us, Bob?

A throwaway post on this thread?

Why don't you just say "hey guys, we know the game is bleeding to death, but guess what, we don't give a sh**. Just send the money and stfu."

At least there would be some semblance of honesty in that.

You don't think that a fly-by comment from someone in your position warranted a post on it's own?
You could have picked out a thread from any number of the multiple threads on the state of UO, the concerns of the player base, the ones that appear all over the place almost hourly about yet another long term Vet player quitting, the countless threads from people almost begging for some decent respectful input from you or your minion Jeremy??

And, after having your own internal raffle as to which of the long list of possible threads you were going to grace with that paragraph of "let's say nothing at all in 25 words or less", you slink off into the shadows again, your job done...all's well with UO and the plebs revolution has been put down yet again, now...what's on telly tonight?

Well, thanks for nothing Bob.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

sure u can have it.

P

pallas

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

sure u can have it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yay! Thou art awesome. *claps hands*

C

Cellmate

<blockquote><hr>

Jeremy: And Leurocian, and Mesanna, and Supreem, and Serado, and Grimm, and Yvette, whose handle I can NEVER remember, and Chrissay, who's new to the dev side but kicking ass and taking names, and a number of other people that I have to go remind to write intro posts for themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

And would this mythical "Cal" be among those you need to remind?
Is he not the new top-dog? "Development Manager" I think you called him in another thread...umm..oh,yeah the "So Jeremy, Is it Next Week Yet" thread I posted a couple of weeks ago?
Hmm, let me refresh your memory:
<blockquote><hr>

Jeremy (19 Jan): Well, ok: Yes, we have a development manager! His name is Cal, he's a good guy and an old-school Ultima fan. He's currently [/i]chomping at the bit [/i]waiting to post his actual intro letter, but we're waiting on one more key decision to be made so that he doesn't have to cut the actual informative bit out of the letter entirely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is he at work atm? Still struggling with that one more key decision?
He hasn't had to take time off to go to Dental Hospital cos he smashed his teeth after chomping on that bit for a fortnight, has he? I hope not.
I am safe to assume that he is still employed by EAMythic in that role tho, aren't I? He hasn't done anything like take up a better job offer at some other company before we even got a chance to say hello?

P

pallas

As a side note, what the heck is Grimm doing since it was deemed that graphical updates were a 'low priority' (even though if you read ANY KR thread about wanted changes graphics nearly top the list)?

C

Clx-

Lets hope SA never sees the light of day. The last thing this game needs is another expansion adding in more needless lands, items, races and skills. We've already got plenty of all of those.

Try fixing what's already in the game first. There's a good two years work just in that.

P

pallas

Opinions may vary but personally I would rather see more things done with the ORIGINAL lands rather than more new land, yes. Even a new dungeon.

I agree.

I

imported_Sarphus

<blockquote><hr>

Opinions may vary but personally I would rather see more things done with the ORIGINAL lands rather than more new land, yes. Even a new dungeon.

I agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider the possibility that SA WILL be an addition to the old lands. In the original ultima games, wasn't the abyss somehow tied to fire island?

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I agree.

[/ QUOTE ]Or hell, add in new dungeon levels into the existing dungeons. Revamp some of the existing dungeons. Make them larger. Add more history and a plotline and tricks and traps. Turn them into dungeons like the now sadly broken Khaldun. Build on UO's mythology -- but then, there's no in-game reference to either ML or SE mythology, so I'm WAY out on a limb here. Tokuno is this really cool land with really cool places that feels so empty and incomplete because it's missing all shreds of fiction. Where are the in-game books in SE? Where are the tidbits? THere aren't any. It's all just graphical fluff.

Gah. Got me started. Cut that out!!!

G

Germanicus07

<blockquote><hr>

This is a team full of die-hard UO loyalists - say what you like about management, marketing, or me, but never doubt that the folks on the ground are busting various body parts, every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense Jeremy, but I call BS on your entire quote. Ever heard of the song....WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY?????? No patches, lame excuses for FOF's, claiming that you are waiting on approvals, getting your boss to back up the story, and then says, we will tell you more when we can, meanwhile, please keep paying your monthly fee.

What has EA/MYTHIC provided for the UO player base, besides servers? No patches, no updates on expansion, even though other companies has NO PROBLEM telling when the next one is coming out, this is just lame.

If the DEV team is working so hard, where is the results????? Zip nada, but more promises of it maybe being on the test shard the middle of next week. You have lost creditability with many, and it just keeps getting worse as the weeks go by. You can't keep using the move as an excuse anymore Jeremy, it doesn't wash and please, stop insulting our intelligence already.

Germanicus

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
RTLFC

Wow! You know things are in bad shape when even the fanboi's have nothing good to say.

It's looking pretty bleak right now.

I

imported_S!ckLoveR

"Are you ready for the never-ending repetition of Hell?"...

Or whatever Pinhead told the girl... Too long since I saw Hellraiser 2.

zared of napa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I think I'll have to take the fifth on that one. Or possibly drink a fifth.

[/ QUOTE ]
That must be All the developers and community reps answer to everything lets get drunk and theses fools will go away.As has been posted before we used to always know what was in design, what was in test phase.now we know nothing.
Part of the reason things need to be posted ahead of time is if the players feel it is a stupid idea we can post comment on it. I remember lots of ideas that were in testing and they were stopped cold because the players did not want the changes.Thus the resources could be used for real changes that keep players..

G

hmm...
Porting UO over to warhammer game engine

Be kind of kool have a "true" 3d game engine.. though looking at ones backside all the time can get a bit boring.

D

DrMcguilicudy

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Marketing? That person should be FIRED. My brother who I have had his account open for almost 4 years, has been playing WoW. Why is that? It because of marketing.

You should be ashamed of even mentioning.

I will tell you this much, if after Warhammer comes out and you kill UO in favor of it, I will NEVER play an EA game as long as I live.

What you have done or lack thereof in the the last year is almost abysmal.

You guys talk in circles, and frankly as one of the last hold outs, there is only so long one can take the lies and double talk. PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING!

U

_Uriah Heep_

Won't have an actual QA-checked list until mid-next-week
----------------------------------------------------------

QA?
*grins*
refreshing...in the past WE have been QA *laughs*

I

imported_Heartseeker

Don't expect to much in future development right now.

Not sure if there are to many real devs in EA.

They seem to like to hire ex players and GM's versus real devs who have any actual experience.

Wouldn't be surprised to see that Jeremy become "the new dev."

J

joblackjon

It's about time to reload the stick with a new carrot...what the hell...a new stick would help as well.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I will tell you this much, if after Warhammer comes out and you kill UO in favor of it, I will NEVER play an EA game as long as I live.

[/ QUOTE ]

After playing UO for this long you'd still be willing to play another EA game?

[censored]. I won't play another EA game just based on what they did with Thrill Kill.

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Marketing? That person should be FIRED.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was.

C

Clx-

<blockquote><hr>

Revamp some of the existing dungeons. Make them larger. Add more history and a plotline and tricks and traps. Turn them into dungeons like the now sadly broken Khaldun. Build on UO's mythology

[/ QUOTE ]

This man speaks sense.

Do: Fix some skills, fix some bugs. Do something about speedhacking. Give us a reason to PvP. Give us EM events. Give this game some direction.

Don't: Add meaningless land, races, skills and whatever else it is you usually dump on us with each soulless expansion your churn out.

I knew this game was truly doomed when they announced SE and that absolute buffoon binky was on this forum spamming daily IT HAS NINJAS!, but I didn't realise how much worse it could get. Why am I still playing? I'm pretty unsure these days, but it's certainly not becouse of Malas, or Elves, or Samurai's.

B

Babble

Add some lands and new graphics, I am sure people will find use for it.
So for that I am for SA, though I doubt I would buy it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Official KR Pom Pom hander outer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you need those anymore.

C

Clx-

<blockquote><hr>

Add some lands and new graphics, I am sure people will find use for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why UO is in the state it's in.

There's urgent work that needs doing on things we already have, and you want them to spend time on new 'things' becouse you're "sure people will find use for it"

Put this guy in charge. Or is he already?

K

kennykilleduo

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

No, we aren't ready to share that information yet. .

[/ QUOTE ]

Same ole same ole. Why this company does this I will never understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they do not want the competition to get in on their secret to success. I would hate to see if WoW, LotR, Lineage or Guild Wars got ahold of them 'sekrit' UO plans... it would surely bring the industry to a crashing halt. As we all know, UO nowadays is so terribly, _terribly_ innovative.

That, or their plan as they did KR... just fly by the seat of your pants and add things to it as you go along.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL secret plans , CIA here we come

B

Babble

I doubt ea is the way to go anyway, problem is I have to convince my community to take matters in their hands.

But ea produces graphics which is when you try it on your own pretty difficult.
If you want to build lands though there are even map editors out there.

G

I think there's a lot of important sentiment expressed in this thread that shouldn't be overlooked.
This playerbase may well be able to put up with a lot, but when browsing through posts here I see a lot of people with very little patience left, and these are the die hard guys that would sell their souls to see UO succesful again.
I think we really have reached a critical point here, and I don't say that lightly.

C

CowboyX1970

I, too, am glad to see this sentiment expressed. I tried to point out the lack of hustle by the developers and the lead zeppelin state of the game but was threatened by the moderators.

Alas, the proof is in the pudding...gold at $1.40 per mil (and I'm not even looking hard) and items crashing in price (I saw an orny for 11 mil, again not even looking hard) are symptoms of the games failing state.

My subscription doesn't run out until June and I'm guessing alot of the diehards on this thread have opted for the similar price scheme. Probably why the game hasn't failed altogether. I spend my time now crafting and fooling around. Nothing serious going on. I'm not a hacker so fel is out of the question. I'll be on until June, but no longer unless anything changes. I'd like to know how many monthly subscribers have left. Must be many. I cancelled my second monthly account.

I'll wager 10 mil in gold that no content or the same content from last year comes out for valentines day. I'd wager more, but I'm not about to buy gold for a dying game. I think I have 10 mil in my bank.

E

Evinyatar

I truly fail to see why people fuss against Robert for his post. I found it very clear and explanatory:

- The UO Dev team has lost able people.
- The Team is settling into a new location. It quite obviously has been disillusionned and can't be the most motivated team out there given the state of UO and funding into UO operations.
- Quite frankly the quality of developpers has been below standard for a few years now. Who can blame them? If you were a hotshot developper, would you apply for a job working on UO or would you rather pick one of the new young 'stars'?
- UO has entered 'Maintain-mode' for over 6-7 years now. I do not believe things like KR were really an attempt to regain a substantial playerbase. The object was to maintain the playerbase a little while longer with minimal effort. The necessary desire to invest the money it would take to put UO up to par simply isn't there.
- The overall management (or funding as you'll read later) of UO is pittiful. 'Keeping secrets' or because nothing is 'set in stone yet' are no reasons to keep people in the dark about new features, expansions, web-site revisions and upcoming marketing campaigns. It's either due to louzy project management or lack of funding to complete said projects. As an outsider, ever since Designer Dragon left I personally have seen the UO dev team as a collection of individuals all working on their own pet projects in their own special way. No overall goal of what the focus was going to be nor how it was going to be achieved.

Given all that, what do you want a member of said team to say? All of the above? That wouldn't help the situation either. Unless if the goal was to drive even more players away and close up shop (and jobs) sooner. No, they put up a facade that things are coming and everything is not so gloomy because....quite frankly what else can they do?

The best thing EA can do is go back to basics. What market are we trying to capture with our MMORPG? What does it take to be succesful within that market? What's the cost/benefit ratio of attacking that marketshare? What's the best tool to achieve it?

Don't think they're as thick as they come. I'm willing to wager they've posed those questions a long time ago. I'm also willing to wager that the current UO shell wasn't the answer they came up with. Wether or not the new Warhammer Online is going to be an answer is another matter altogether. UO is around for one reason and one reason only: It still makes money. But in order to continue doing so you very occasionaly need to throw the players a bone (KR, half arsed expansions etc etc) but above all reduce costs (less devs or less qualified devs, less resources, etc etc).

Personally I find the current state of UO quite logical given the choices EA made. Don't shoot Robert, he's actually saying the only thing he can say given the state of affairs. Nomatter how pittiful it is. Many are contemplating on wether or not to hang around. Would the playerbase be larger or smaller if they actually came out and said UO is in 'Maintain-mode' and they're going to bet on another horse?

K

kennykilleduo

<blockquote><hr>

Greetings all,

The UO Team has settled in nicely and it's great to have them on-site. There have been a number of meetings regarding our short-term and long-term goals and plans, and the most effective way to meet those. Yes, we have things coming, including much more information. No, we aren't ready to share that information yet. Granted that's not much of an answer other than to say that we have lots in store for UO and you are going to have to wait a bit longer to find out. We know the community wants more info and we are doing everything we can to speed up this process.

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

Any news yet on UOSA or expansion?

I

imported_ParadoxUO

been doing some research...

Before we have SA we'll need to defeat the ShadowLords in Moonglow and find the Bell of Courage...

My bet... knowing the shadowlords m.o. greed and hate will populate Sosaria...

- crafters will go blindly hunt for resources while avoiding all kind of conversation or interaction.
- warriors will roam Del killing all mammals, even trying to kill the tamed ones... sometimes re-targetting for a few hours on the same peaceful cow that is quietly grasing next to the healers hut.
- units of reds will roam felluca and Despise... howling and going into a blood frenzy... the blooded scrolls of power will be the trophies of their automated tactics.
- humans and elves alike will search the vendors looking for mispriced items or fast profit even if that means buying and selling "hot" goods.

Sosaria will fall in decay and cultural entrophy... until the shadows within are vanquished... and we find the courage to strike the bell... then we'll look into the Abyss... and we'll win or we will fail... till then... good luck, walking the straight and narrow.

I

imported_Gwendar-SP

<blockquote><hr>

At this point, and since the dev team must have kind of settled in, it would be great to hear about SA wouldn't it?

Like, is it still supposed to be released sometime? Still worked on?

Anything really would be good, not even necessarily the truth, but something to aknowledge SA and give us something to look forward.

What do you think? Anyone's got infos?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares if it means KR.

I

imported_Electrolyte

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

At this point, and since the dev team must have kind of settled in, it would be great to hear about SA wouldn't it?

Anything really would be good, not even necessarily the truth, but something to aknowledge SA and give us something to look forward.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I'll like KR... not as much as I want to, but I like it... but this is also not the place for that debate...

...I've drawn my own line in the sand as it were, and that's with SA... I'm waiting to see what happens with it. If it goes over well, and comes out polished with quality content, then I'm probly gonna stick around longer... if not, I can't honestly say... as for how long I'll wait... well I think that wait gets a little shorter everytime I hear 'soon' or 'no definite timeline' when anyone official even comments about SA or related info

G

Well, that actually sounds about correct, our next event is in Moonglow, is it not? "The clock is ticking in Moonglow" or something like that, correct? All that would leave is the Bell then, which is event #3.... We were told about a major event in late Spring, were we not? Sounds like SA might actually be coming this year...

And as for me, I don't care if SA is released in KR only or for both clients, I'll just have to adjust to the KR interface. Whichever way speeds up the release EAMythic.

I

imported_Gwendar-SP

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I'll like KR... not as much as I want to, but I like it... but this is also not the place for that debate...

...I've drawn my own line in the sand as it were, and that's with SA... I'm waiting to see what happens with it. If it goes over well, and comes out polished with quality content, then I'm probly gonna stick around longer... if not, I can't honestly say... as for how long I'll wait... well I think that wait gets a little shorter everytime I hear 'soon' or 'no definite timeline' when anyone official even comments about SA or related info

[/ QUOTE ]

It is related to KR since like illshanar and 3D one must play in KR to access whatever in SA. Since I've found little to like about KR, I can't get excited about SA.