• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Factions Testing Commencement

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because the bigger faction would be made slightly MORE powerful by the arties, and possibly create a stranglehold on the towns...killing factions.

I've said it a million times. You cannot give the more powerful group even more power. When one group starts to win too much, factions die. Ive seen it happen on several shards over the years.
What stops everyone from joining the same factions?

What if they put a ratio limit to factions. Depending on the amount of people in opposing factions, the larger ones would be limited to how many people can be in it.

Also, it was just a thought on faction items, maybe they can add something else that makes more sense in the risk vs reward aspect of things, other than stat loss.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

What if they put a ratio limit to factions. Depending on the amount of people in opposing factions, the larger ones would be limited to how many people can be in it.
A balance system identical to this idea already existed in factions for 7+ years. They recently got rid of it. But it is of my opinion that it should be reinstated. Huge guilds can whine all they want, but your faction tag should come first and your guild tag 2nd.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
An orny isn't neccesary if you know how to imbue a good suit.
Well if you are like me and already have an amazing suit a non faction Orni with faction mods would make it that much better wouldn't it? Yes I think so.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well if you are like me and already have an amazing suit an Orni would make it that much better wouldn't it? Yes I think so.
Nope not at all, i can fit way better mods between an imbued brac/ring than a orny/ring combo. i know it doesn't sound like it makes sense, but i can assure you it works out great. Especially if you want to get enhance pots on both jewels, dci on both, sdi, skill bonus, etc etc etc

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A balance system identical to this idea already existed in factions for 7+ years. They recently got rid of it. But it is of my opinion that it should be reinstated. Huge guilds can whine all they want, but your faction tag should come first and your guild tag 2nd.
Wasn't there a problem with the balancing because of people adding secondary accounts and such into opposing factions? I remember it being irritating when i decided "hey i wanna join minax" and i couldn't, because minax was "capped out", so i had to settle for a different faction, that i did not want to be in.

However! i agree there should be something in place for this, but something more thought out as to how to balance it. if the dev's show some interest in this part of the discussion, we can elaborate further.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, the problem wasn't really people putting toons in other factions. The problem was all the Trammies, bank sitters, and people that actually QUIT THE GAME still taking up a membership slot.

In fact, we used to put toons in dead factions just to change the ratio so that the active factions could receive more members.

I dont think the balancer would be an issue if, using the new ranking system, inactive people got the boot. Or if "deserter" ranks didnt count as members. Something along those lines.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nope not at all, i can fit way better mods between an imbued brac/ring than a orny/ring combo. i know it doesn't sound like it makes sense, but i can assure you it works out great. Especially if you want to get enhance pots on both jewels, dci on both, sdi, skill bonus, etc etc etc
Oh ya? on a mage suit?

SDI? in pvp, give me a break we already have sdi from other sources and at a max of 15 it hardly makes any difference.

I do agree on the dci front though.

In my experience to truly be able to compete 1v1 on a mage against a really good dexer you need 70 dci to overcome hit lower D.

it is really hard to make a suit that is 2/6 casting, 9 or 10 MR, with 40 lMC, 100 lrc, 70 DCI, 15 sdi (although i find it useless in pvp), all 70's + corpse proof let alone adding int, dex and str to your suit as well and that doesn't even include EP.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh ya? on a mage suit?

SDI? in pvp, give me a break we already have sdi from other sources and at a max of 15 it hardly makes any difference.

I do agree on the dci front though.

In my experience to truly be able to compete 1v1 on a mage against a really good dexer you need 70 dci to overcome hit lower D.

it is really hard to make a suit that is 2/6 casting, 9 or 10 MR, with 40 lMC, 100 lrc, 70 DCI, 15 sdi (although i find it useless in pvp), all 70's + corpse proof let alone adding int, dex and str to your suit as well and that doesn't even include EP.

ROFL sdi is useless in pvp huh? lol i always run 15 sdi, try to always fit scribe for 10 sdi on my template, and always have 140+ int to hit max sdi.

but since ur curious, i'll share my suit's stats with you

71/78/67/76/67 (after scribe bonus it is--- 71/82/72/81/73)

16mr
40lmc
100 lrc
24 hit point increase
65 dci
19 int bonus
40 enhance pots
15 sdi
+20 magery (for mage weapon)
3 stamina regen
2 hit point regen
2/6 casting
5% kinetic eater
5% swing speed inc
3% casting focus

i use a plane sword mage weapon

I have a handful of arties in this current suit however, Tangle, Conjurors Garb, Slither, lieutenant sash, 4 int boots, 2 phys earrings, that ranger of the abyss cape, and the protector of the battle mage tunic. Think that is it... oh fey legs, can't forget about those.

Here is my previous suit (that had alchy tali instead of slither, and had quiver of infinite instead of cape, an imbued leather tunic instead of the protector of the battle mage)

69/74/66/76/69 (after scribe bonus it is--- 69/79/71/81/74)

16mr
40lmc
100 lrc
14 hit point increase
60 dci
19 int bonus
50 enhance pots
15 sdi
4 hit point regen
2/6 casting

Now, hahaha, if you wanna make a non mage weapon suit you can make some pretty sick stuff. I had one with every possible mod that i could need, 70 dci, 50 ep, etc, and managed to squeeze in 14 hit point regen.

In short, imbueing is insane, sdi is great for pvp, and ur orny can go **** itself =)

Oh and keep in mind, these do NOT have any sort of faction item.

and it wasn't even hard... and id be more than happy to fight ur mage that doesn't have sdi...since according to you it is worthless in pvp...ahahaha

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ROFL sdi is useless in pvp huh? lol i always run 15 sdi, try to always fit scribe for 10 sdi on my template, and always have 140+ int to hit max sdi.

16mr
40lmc
100 lrc
24 hit point increase
65 dci
19 int bonus
40 enhance pots
15 sdi
3 stamina regen
2 hit point regen
2/6 casting
5% kinetic eater
5% swing speed inc
3% casting focus

I have a handful of arties in this current suit however, Tangle, Conjurors Garb, Slither, lieutenant sash, 4 int boots, 2 phys earrings, that ranger of the abyss cape, and the protector of the battle mage tunic. Think that is it... oh fey legs, can't forget about those.

Here is my previous suit (that had alchy tali instead of slither, and had quiver of infinite instead of cape, an imbued leather tunic instead of the protector of the battle mage)

69/74/66/76/69 (after scribe bonus it is--- 69/79/71/81/74)

16mr
40lmc
100 lrc
14 hit point increase
60 dci
19 int bonus
50 enhance pots
15 sdi
4 hit point regen
2/6 casting

Now, hahaha, if you wanna make a non mage weapon suit you can make some pretty sick stuff. I had one with every possible mod that i could need, 70 dci, 50 ep, etc, and managed to squeeze in 14 hit point regen.

In short, imbueing is insane, sdi is great for pvp, and ur orny can go **** itself =)

and it wasn't even hard... and id be more than happy to fight ur mage that doesn't have sdi...since according to you it is worthless in pvp...ahahaha
I would love to see a screen shots of all your items, not that i dont believe you but more to learn from it.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

16mr
40lmc
100 lrc
24 hit point increase
65 dci
19 int bonus
40 enhance pots
15 sdi
3 stamina regen
2 hit point regen
2/6 casting
5% kinetic eater
5% swing speed inc
3% casting focus

Cetric, you said you had fey legs. Faction fey, or no?

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Cetric, you said you had fey legs. Faction fey, or no?
Nay regular fey legs, i could get the faction ones, but the 3 resist bump in each elemental really wouldn't do anything for me.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would love to see a screen shots of all your items, not that i dont believe you but more to learn from it.
Come to great lakes, i'll happily show off my work.

but at the same time, maybe i should force you to open up an excel spreadsheet and calculate how to set it up to get the things u want, where you need them, instead of just copying me =)

I guess i lied about one thing, it was some work lol. once you figure out the setup, use an imbuing calculator, and create a template in excel for the suit that adds up resists and mods and such, its a breeze. then you can sit back, figure out what pieces you need to make with what base resists each needs to have, and wam bam, you are an imbuing expert.

I've imbued many suits so far, so once you really get the hang of it, its kind of fun. But i've always had a knack for suit building =/

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Come to great lakes, i'll happily show off my work.

but at the same time, maybe i should force you to open up an excel spreadsheet and calculate how to set it up to get the things u want, where you need them, instead of just copying me =)

I guess i lied about one thing, it was some work lol. once you figure out the setup, use an imbuing calculator, and create a template in excel for the suit that adds up resists and mods and such, its a breeze. then you can sit back, figure out what pieces you need to make with what base resists each needs to have, and wam bam, you are an imbuing expert.

I've imbued many suits so far, so once you really get the hang of it, its kind of fun. But i've always had a knack for suit building =/
the calc is a good idea, ill set one up. Good thing I have the gold to by the ingredients or replicas cause i sure am not going to farm for them.

If I have issues or need a hint on a few pieces ill message you and stop by GL... at your convenience of course. Thanks

Mark_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm a trammy that is a base defender guarding sigils not a pvper
I'm really confused on how you think you are going to keep the current faction players, and double that number by going the way your going with factions especially with how you designed each of the factions bases making them harder for someone like me, and others to defend. I can only speak for myself but factions for me is getting the sigils, and seeing how long we can keep them from the enemy. To me it looks like your taking the defenders out of factions, and making factions all about the pvp side of it.
I can tell you now being a Trammy this is not the way to get me to go to felucca makes me want to get out of factions.
I don't understand how you are defending without fighting people. Are you just kind of watching out for someone and if they come telling the people in your guild to come help?

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't understand how you are defending without fighting people. Are you just kind of watching out for someone and if they come telling the people in your guild to come help?
I think you are just as confused as most of us mark lol.

Isn't factions supposed to be about pvp? Sort of a, capture the flag kind of game, that involves killing each other to get the flag? lol

Mark_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, the problem wasn't really people putting toons in other factions. The problem was all the Trammies, bank sitters, and people that actually QUIT THE GAME still taking up a membership slot.

In fact, we used to put toons in dead factions just to change the ratio so that the active factions could receive more members.

I dont think the balancer would be an issue if, using the new ranking system, inactive people got the boot. Or if "deserter" ranks didnt count as members. Something along those lines.
Deserters don't count. That is one of the key reasons to lable them deserters. You are only compared to active players. Deserters also can't wear faction artifacts which keeps people from joining just to get artifacts and then not supporting the faction. Of course, if you actually help your faction for a minimum amount of time per week you are not a derter and it takes about 15 minutes of pvping to remove your deserter status.

One thing you might not know is that you can't get points unless you are near members of enemy factions. Also, you gain points in direct proportion to how many enemies are around, so if you are good it always pays to be the underdog. Finally, your ability to gain rank is directly relative to how you are doing relative to all the other active players. So, if all players in factions tried to create a conspiracy to just stand around each other and then jump off a wall and heal themselves... they would have a decent healing score but they would all be rank 2 because none were actually getting ahead. If you all have 10000 points, you are all a low rank... rank comes by doing better than other players not from just a raw pile of points.

This also means that as the game matures the ranks will normalize. If everyone gets better at the same rate, then the ranks don't change. If we raise dps for everyone, then the ranks don't really change.

The scoring system is comparative. The only thing that the statistics tell you is where you are weak and strong compared to the other players. So, "my healing is a little low" is a helpful observation but "I got my healing up to 11000 today" doesn't inherantly mean anything. That also means that it doesn't break things if we reward healing yourself. Healing yourself by potions or spells is part of being a good player. Everyone who is good does it. Thus, it is part of what makes you good and is measured.

So, in the new system we have a measure of your ability as a soldier (rank) and then a measure of service to the faction (silver). We are looking at adding a third element that is a measure of your Loyalty to the faction but that system isn't very far along.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Deserters don't count. That is one of the key reasons to lable them deserters. You are only compared to active players. Deserters also can't wear faction artifacts which keeps people from joining just to get artifacts and then not supporting the faction. Of course, if you actually help your faction for a minimum amount of time per week you are not a derter and it takes about 15 minutes of pvping to remove your deserter status.
It seems you have put a lot of thought into the point system, it may even be a bit to complex.. I'll have to wait and see.

What if everyone in factions was made red. This way they could not go o Tram at all, and we would not have the need for deserters or at least it would resolve people exploiting the system and wearing faction items in Tram. Also if you were blue before you joined a faction, and then quit factions you would go blue again as long as you dont have 5 murder counts for killing 5 or more non faction blues.

edit: the red factioners would still appear blue to non faction people.

Or even simpler just make it to where if you char is in factions they cant enter Tram.

Mark_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you are just as confused as most of us mark lol.

Isn't factions supposed to be about pvp? Sort of a, capture the flag kind of game, that involves killing each other to get the flag? lol
Well, the core of it is consentual pvp. But we want to add other elements to make it relevant to people who don't pvp. For example, I don't play football, never have other than some school yard/sand lot stuff. That doesn't mean I can't be involved in pro-football. I can support the team by buying tickets. I can gamble on it. I can watch the games. I can discuss it with my friends. I can start a magazine about it. I can give commentary. These are all valid ways to be a part of pro football without being good at football.

In the military, I know there are people who spend their entire career and never shoot anyone. My dad was one of them, he was a dentist in the Air Force. He was valuable to them, he was "involved". But as far as I know he isn't much of a warrior.

So, Factions isn't a sport, but the analogy stands that there should be ways to be involved in factions that don't require you to be good at pvp.

If you have spies that just watch the enemy base from invisibility, isn't that valuable? Aren't they putting themselves in danger to serve their faction? Shouldn't that service be counted? Will they every pass Rambo? No, but they are helping and Rambo doesn't hate them for helping. Rambo is glad he has some intel.

As I said above, hiding is only rewarded when enemies are nearby and it is rewarded in direct proportion to how many enemies are nearby. Also, nothing is rewarded if you are inside a private house. You might be able to snipe from a roof, but you will not get credit for it.

Mark_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It seems you have put a lot of thought into the point system, it may even be a bit to complex.. I'll have to wait and see.

What if everyone in factions was made red. This way they could not go o Tram at all, and we would not have the need for deserters or at least it would resolve people exploiting the system and wearing faction items in Tram. Also if you were blue before you joined a faction, and then quit factions you would go blue again as long as you dont have 5 murder counts for killing 5 or more non faction blues.

edit: the red factioners would still appear blue to non faction people.

Or even simpler just make it to where if you char is in factions they cant enter Tram.
Well, the complexity is only a problem if it is complex to use. I think we need to do a better job of making it simple to interpret the result. When I look at the score board, I just want to know if I'm better than my friend who said that he was the best guy on the server. Maybe we should just report your rank in every category instead of some wierd number that you don't really know what it means. Like, I'm 300th in damage and 50th in healing and 500th in hiding and 50th overall. Then just let the computer figure out all that other stuff.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*listens* There is a lot of thought being put into the Faction system. We, as players do not have the full scope of what is going on. I do like what I am reading though.

Factions as is has become nothing more than a means to gain cheap powerful items. Towns and sigils be danmed.

Reason and purpose, teamwork, and fun... that is what factions needs.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*listens* There is a lot of thought being put into the Faction system. We, as players do not have the full scope of what is going on. I do like what I am reading though.

Factions as is has become nothing more than a means to gain cheap powerful items. Towns and sigils be danmed.

Reason and purpose, teamwork, and fun... that is what factions needs.
*nods*...

*smirks*

Mark_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Also, it was just a thought on faction items, maybe they can add something else that makes more sense in the risk vs reward aspect of things, other than stat loss.
Nothing stops everyone from joining the same faction, but I think you actually get negative credit if you kill your own faction. Also, you get a fat multiplier if you are outnumbered. The idea is, the best players will always favor the smaller faction because it pays better. The medium players follow the best players and create an equilibrium. The crappy players just do whatever and no one cares if they are all in the same faction. They just exist so that you can be better than them. heh.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I don't PvP. In fact, despite the fact that I run a 'half and half' guild, and alliance, I'm well known for not PvP'ing. However. I have a neat lil thief trained up who can be used as bait, where necessary, or a supply runner, or a scout/lookout. If I was to fiddle with her template a little, you could add healing to that list as well. Bait is best fun - no armour, empty pack, no cost to me, but my, can't I lure folks!

There are lots of 'passive' or 'helpful' templates, within factions and without, that get little or no recognition but are absolutely vital. Support mage is one I can think of, not least because, since I spent the first 6 months of my playtime learning from my returnee husband, I learned to play the template myself. My archer only survived the reds circling like sharks at the Fel Crimson/Platinum dragon event because one of my guildies is damned fast with the heals and dispels and totally unselfish in terms of loot and drops. The lack of game recognition that these players get - they miss out on loot, points and everything else - whether in factions or not is something I'd like to see redressed in the future.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, the core of it is consentual pvp. But we want to add other elements to make it relevant to people who don't pvp. For example, I don't play football, never have other than some school yard/sand lot stuff. That doesn't mean I can't be involved in pro-football. I can support the team by buying tickets. I can gamble on it. I can watch the games. I can discuss it with my friends. I can start a magazine about it. I can give commentary. These are all valid ways to be a part of pro football without being good at football.

In the military, I know there are people who spend their entire career and never shoot anyone. My dad was one of them, he was a dentist in the Air Force. He was valuable to them, he was "involved". But as far as I know he isn't much of a warrior.

So, Factions isn't a sport, but the analogy stands that there should be ways to be involved in factions that don't require you to be good at pvp.

If you have spies that just watch the enemy base from invisibility, isn't that valuable? Aren't they putting themselves in danger to serve their faction? Shouldn't that service be counted? Will they every pass Rambo? No, but they are helping and Rambo doesn't hate them for helping. Rambo is glad he has some intel.

As I said above, hiding is only rewarded when enemies are nearby and it is rewarded in direct proportion to how many enemies are nearby. Also, nothing is rewarded if you are inside a private house. You might be able to snipe from a roof, but you will not get credit for it.
Gotcha, understood. Just please, don't make the system so complex and overbearing that nobody wants to use it. Also, the more complex something is, the more likely it is to be exploited. We found numerous loopholes in the test point system to gain "points".

However, i do sort of like your idea on jsut throwing out a random "rank for people to see, but at the same time... when ur friend is #1 and you are #2, how do you know ur friend isn't 500000000000 times better than you according to the computer, or just 13 points better?

To go with your football analogy, this is starting to sound like the BCS lol, but don't take that as a bad thing. I believe everyone craves something like this ranking and point system in the game. But at the same time, people will exploit the crap out of it. You get points for stealthing around, points for revealing a stealther, points for healing etc. all good things, but all things people will just ahve a friend in another faction, and duel him for a few hours, etc, etc.

Other than that tho, good work so far. I'm happy to see you are applying the players ideas to this. Good luck.

UOMaddog

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I feel it is necessary for me to repost my original post. I am glad to see that people have jumped on at least ONE of my ideas. Here's the original post again:

**********BEGIN ORIGINAL THREAD**********
Here are all the fixes that should be implemented in one nice concise post:

#1. STATLOSS
Quite simple. Statloss is now lowered to 5 minutes. However, IF you kill the person that killed you, you come out of stat. This encourages people NOT to walk away from their computer to wait out 20 minutes of stat, instead it encourages them to FIGHT BACK to get out of stat even quicker. Statloss, solved!

#2. TOWN CONTROL
First things first. Guard zones are removed completely from Felucca. Stop your whining already and just keep reading. Whichever faction controls a town is the ONLY one who is allowed to call guards. ALSO guards can be called on both blues AND reds that attack you in town, but not other faction members (either the same or opposing). This solves:
A) Blues guardwhacking people who were damaged by a faction memeber and putting them in stat.
B) Gives factions a good reason to want to control towns!
I don't have a good solution for timers for sigils and stuff, but that can be wheedled out later

#3. FACTION ARTIFACTS
PvMers have plenty of stuff to play with. There are TONS of artifacts that are useless in PvP but quite valuable in PvM. Therefore, faction items SHOULD be slightly overpowered compared to other items. I would even go so far as to say that Faction Artifacts should only be useable in Felucca (I'm sure we can start a huge debate over it) since Faction fighting is only allowed in Fel. As for how faction points should be gained/lost, that's the toughest part. I'd say just make it simple:
Each time you kill someone, you get a point.
Each time you die, you lose a point.
Each time you steal a sigil AND place it on your bases' pedestals, you gain a point.
Each time an opponent steals it back before it is corrupted, you lose the point.
Points should update instantly.
Max regular member rank is Rank 8.
Points can be accumulated up to 10 (So you have a 2 point buffer before you start losing the ability to wear artifacts)
Sherrifs and Finance Ministers = Rank 9
Commanding Lord = Rank 10
Special Artifacts (or Clothing) for Rank 9 and 10.

So....3 Major Problems, All SOLVED!

Trust me, you need to change it to this system. It WILL work. It eliminates farming (die twice and all the farming in the world doesn't help you at all). It ENCOURAGES fighting, both IN and OUT of statloss. It provides a benefit for controlling towns. It eliminates the effect of non-faction members during town battles. Boom, Boom, POW! Solved. JUST IMPLEMENT AND LET US PLAY!!
**********END ORIGINAL THREAD**********

After reading many of the comments and looking at the test center I would like to add the following things to the list:

#4. FACTION BASES
There are many directions we could go with this, however I can see a good compromise... First, make each "base" be a SMALL town surrounding a central Stronghold. Have every base be walled off in some way shape or form, but with many possible entrances (4 sounds like a good number). Inside the "outer walls" would be this small town. The town would consist of a banker, a stable (with a faction horse vendor, but more to come on this topic later), a crafting hall (with all the different types of crafters in one building), and a healer. Then, we have a central stronghold. Inside the strong hold is a throne room with the sigil pedestals. This is a much more defensible place.
Here's some of the benefits and additional features:
A) The faction arties are sold by the crafters in the faction base.
B) The faction healer can rez only that faction, but adds a 2-minute penalty (so 7 mins instead of 5)
C) The horse breeder can sell horses as well as other basic mounts all hued for their faction (such as swampies, llamas, ridgebacks, etc Hey! We could even have them be RANK based!)
D) These "NPC's" would be KILLABLE with a 24-hour respawn timer (don't worry, they'd have tons of HP)! Why you ask? Simple. Instead of staying holed up in the stronghold with a chokepoint defending the sigils, factioneers would be forced to come out and defend their town in a much more open setting if they want to be able to get pets, get rez'd easily, and be able to buy their equipment!
E) I hate to say it, but to make this system work, and to give people who already bought their artifacts a reason to come out of the stronghold and fight, I would recommend lowering the durability as well as the prices (since you'll need to replace them more often) of the faction artifacts (divide prices by 10, lower durability to 100). And only allow new ones to be purchased when the old one breaks. (Possibly some kind of turn-in when it gets to 0/0 durability). Just think, if you know you're going to need to replace your artifacts, you better make damn sure that you defend your base!

I have plenty more ideas that I feel could be implemented later. I'll throw one of them out now and see if it flies with anyone:
Let's say you steal the sigil for a town. You go back and put it in your base. After holding it for 15 minutes, the town that you stole it from starts to send forces to attack your base. Starts out with really easy NPCs, then builds up over the course of a couple hours until the sigil corrupts. This would force towns to be stolen 1 at a time (and keep in mind, another faction may steal another town while you stole one) because if you steal them all at once, you'd have a gigantic horde of NPC's in your base that would annihilate anyone in your faction that tried to get through to the stronghold. Obviously this would need some careful tweaking!! But just wanted to throw it out there as something "new" and exciting for sigil guarding (since we all know how boring it can be!)

Mark, I respect the work that you have done so far and am glad to see Good Intentions towards factions. I appreciate you coming to the forums for feedback and hope you take all of this to heart. I know that re-doing these faction bases would be a big undertaking considering all the work you've done, however I feel that you can use parts of what you've already created to make these new ones.

I know this is a lot of ideas to absorb in one post, but I have spent countless hours discussing this with guildmates and opposing guildmembers and these are all systems that we believe would make factiosn enthralling-ly fun again.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This already existed. We used to have crafters in our base making replacement potions and armor during fights. Stealthers would be going around giving us intelligence on enemy positions. There were websites dedicated to factions where people discussed who was winning with their friends.

Everything you are trying to add already existed when Factions was active. What most people want is Factions to be active again, so these things can come back. But you guys are manually adding this stuff instead of adding incentives to participate in Factions again.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please imbue me a faction Orni.

When your done let me know and ill come get it from you. Thanks
Didn't say faction items aren't good. I said imbued items are 1000x better.

You make a suit with faction **** and plain barbed items.. I'll make one with all imbued **** and I guarantee my suit will be better..

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I feel it is necessary for me to repost my original post. I am glad to see that people have jumped on at least ONE of my ideas. Here's the original post again:

#1. STATLOSS
Quite simple. Statloss is now lowered to 5 minutes. However, IF you kill the person that killed you, you come out of stat. This encourages people NOT to walk away from their computer to wait out 20 minutes of stat, instead it encourages them to FIGHT BACK to get out of stat even quicker. Statloss, solved!

#2. TOWN CONTROL
First things first. Guard zones are removed completely from Felucca. Stop your whining already and just keep reading. Whichever faction controls a town is the ONLY one who is allowed to call guards. ALSO guards can be called on both blues AND reds that attack you in town, but not other faction members (either the same or opposing). This solves:
A) Blues guardwhacking people who were damaged by a faction memeber and putting them in stat.
I don't have a good solution for timers for sigils and stuff, but that can be wheedled out later

#3. FACTION ARTIFACTS
PvMers have plenty of stuff to play with. There are TONS of artifacts that are useless in PvP but quite valuable in PvM. Therefore, faction items SHOULD be slightly overpowered compared to other items. I would even go so far as to say that Faction Artifacts should only be useable in Felucca (I'm sure we can start a huge debate over it) since Faction fighting is only allowed in Fel. As for how faction points should be gained/lost, that's the toughest part. I'd say just make it simple:
Each time you steal a sigil AND place it on your bases' pedestals, you gain a point.
Each time an opponent steals it back before it is corrupted, you lose the point.
Points can be accumulated up to 10 (So you have a 2 point buffer before you start losing the ability to wear artifacts)

Trust me, you need to change it to this system. It WILL work. It eliminates farming (die twice and all the farming in the world doesn't help you at all). It ENCOURAGES fighting, both IN and OUT of statloss. It provides a benefit for controlling towns. It eliminates the effect of non-faction members during town battles. Boom, Boom, POW! Solved. JUST IMPLEMENT AND LET US PLAY!!

After reading many of the comments and looking at the test center I would like to add the following things to the list:

#4. FACTION BASES
There are many directions we could go with this, however I can see a good compromise... First, make each "base" be a SMALL town surrounding a central Stronghold. Have every base be walled off in some way shape or form, but with many possible entrances (4 sounds like a good number). Inside the "outer walls" would be this small town. The town would consist of a banker, a stable (with a faction horse vendor, but more to come on this topic later), a crafting hall (with all the different types of crafters in one building), and a healer. Then, we have a central stronghold. Inside the strong hold is a throne room with the sigil pedestals. This is a much more defensible place.
B) The faction healer can rez only that faction, but adds a 2-minute penalty (so 7 mins instead of 5)
C) The horse breeder can sell horses as well as other basic mounts all hued for their faction (such as swampies, llamas, ridgebacks, etc Hey! We could even have them be RANK based!)
D) These "NPC's" would be KILLABLE with a 24-hour respawn timer (don't worry, they'd have tons of HP)! Why you ask? Simple. Instead of staying holed up in the stronghold with a chokepoint defending the sigils, factioneers would be forced to come out and defend their town in a much more open setting if they want to be able to get pets, get rez'd easily, and be able to buy their equipment!
E) I hate to say it, but to make this system work, and to give people who already bought their artifacts a reason to come out of the stronghold and fight, I would recommend lowering the durability as well as the prices (since you'll need to replace them more often) of the faction artifacts (divide prices by 10, lower durability to 100). And only allow new ones to be purchased when the old one breaks. (Possibly some kind of turn-in when it gets to 0/0 durability). Just think, if you know you're going to need to replace your artifacts, you better make damn sure that you defend your base!

I have plenty more ideas that I feel could be implemented later. I'll throw one of them out now and see if it flies with anyone:
Let's say you steal the sigil for a town. You go back and put it in your base. After holding it for 15 minutes, the town that you stole it from starts to send forces to attack your base. Starts out with really easy NPCs, then builds up over the course of a couple hours until the sigil corrupts. This would force towns to be stolen 1 at a time (and keep in mind, another faction may steal another town while you stole one) because if you steal them all at once, you'd have a gigantic horde of NPC's in your base that would annihilate anyone in your faction that tried to get through to the stronghold. Obviously this would need some careful tweaking!! But just wanted to throw it out there as something "new" and exciting for sigil guarding (since we all know how boring it can be!)

Mark, I respect the work that you have done so far and am glad to see Good Intentions towards factions. I appreciate you coming to the forums for feedback and hope you take all of this to heart. I know that re-doing these faction bases would be a big undertaking considering all the work you've done, however I feel that you can use parts of what you've already created to make these new ones.

I know this is a lot of ideas to absorb in one post, but I have spent countless hours discussing this with guildmates and opposing guildmembers and these are all systems that we believe would make factiosn enthralling-ly fun again.
1..Nothing is wrong with stat loss.. it should stay the same.. If you can kill the person that put u in stat.. then you deserve to be taken out of stat. So sure go ahead and put that in.. but faction pets need to go into stat when their masters die..

2. Yes to removing guards.. no to only the guild that owns the town can call guards... How about just no guards.. that worked pretty damn good. Almost all of the 'unfair bases' arguments were put to rest with that.. Other than the ridiculous porchelus.

3. Yes faction arties only usable in fel. As for point system.. it needs to be a slightly modified version of its old self.. Killer gets 10% of the victims points. On top of that, when a player is less than 0 they should have a Point regeneration of 1 point per day. So they are not always -6 basically. With that being said.. Point decay should be extended and reduced to every 20 days and only 5% point loss and only if you are above 20 points. Inactive accounts/players are dropped to zero points after a curtain amount of time not logged in.. Gaining points for stealing sigils should be 1 point every time you reset them (Holding them for the entire resetting duration). You can only get the point if you are the thief that originally steals them to reset them.. So if someone passes you a sig you don't get a point. The sig also has to be held for at least 6 hours for you to be able to get a point. Point Transfering points is reduced to once a month and you can only transfer up to 10 points. (That way you can transfer points still but you cannot have a point mule)

4. I'm all for a variety of faction mounts, but they should all have armor similar to dragon barding deeds that are the opposite.. They only absorb dmg from pvp. I think we can all agree that a lot of the spells that hit you these days are far beyond over powered.. FAR! It should be 10 to 20% dmg absorption depending on how good the crafter was and if he/she owned any towns when they created the armor. The pvp wouldn't be nearly as 'hardcore' as Mark put it if the devs didn't make it so easy to kill ppl... With all the SSI, DMG, SDI and new spell crap dealing dmg is so easy its not even funny.

5. Ehh no faction healers in bases.. Thats OP.. ppl don't have to loot their body, they just dbl click and right back in the fight.. I don't like it.

Lowering durability of the faction items is a must. I still have the first pair of everything I bought on all my main characters... They need to cost more silver to buy as well.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everything you are trying to add already existed when Factions was active. What most people want is Factions to be active again, so these things can come back. But you guys are manually adding this stuff instead of adding incentives to participate in Factions again.
Poop on a shingle, JC! We were able to test the shard for less than 36 hours. The man has typed less than 50 posts.

"ZOMG the Devs, they're taking over!" rolleyes:

You act as though that is necessarily a bad thing in itself.

The Gui...erm, Rome, wasn't built in a day.

tink'r_toiz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nothing stops everyone from joining the same faction, but I think you actually get negative credit if you kill your own faction. Also, you get a fat multiplier if you are outnumbered. The idea is, the best players will always favor the smaller faction because it pays better. The medium players follow the best players and create an equilibrium. The crappy players just do whatever and no one cares if they are all in the same faction. They just exist so that you can be better than them. heh.
Mr. Official EA Spokesman ... would you please define "crappy" player?

M

MoonglowMerchant

Before going live, is it possible to take a look at the silver prices on Siege? Since its now harder to obtain said items, can we get a reduction in silver prices to that of normal production servers?
I think this would be an appropriate change to make. However, I'd like more feedback on it before making a final decision.
If anything, silver prices should be much higher.

Siege has always been about risk versus reward. Yes, you could wear a full suit of doom arties but no one did because they were very powerful items that would be lost upon death and it took a lot of work to replace them.

Today, we have faction arties that are waaaaay more powerful than doom arties and we are talking about lowering the cost of the most powerful items in the game? What sense does that make?

If I wanted to play on a shard where I never lost anything, I'd play on a production shard. I chose to play on Siege because dieing carried the real risk of losing my good gear. Cheapening that by making uber gear instantly replaceable is contrary to the very reason for Siege's existence.

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well since she is my CO GM of our faction guild, I will answer that question for you. She is a support character for the defenders, she tracks, fields heals and rez alliance mates. And she also keeps an eye out for those that log out in our base (the same faction as we are )to disrupt our fielding and defense. Michelle is a valuable player in our defense that we use on Great Lakes. It takes a group to do factions and NOT everyone has to be a PVPER.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I missed this comment for some reason.

You do realize that people stand inside the base during a real sigil guarding attempt? People used to hang out and talk, play board games, duel, etc. This even happened way back when guarding took 24 hours. Just being there setting out candelabras and handing out supplies is defending. Some people are using Detect Hidden to reveal stealthers (which is not possible anymore due to game changes).

The way Factions is played today isn't how Factions is supposed to be. People don't guard sigils like they used to because next to no one is interested in holding towns. We used to have 20+ people sitting around for 24 hours because it was fun. They stopped when it wasn't.

Also I remember it being mentioned that killing people in your own faction causes point loss. That is not good for two reasons. One is you need to kill spies. Two is people duel.

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Those crappy players are as important as the uber ones, everyone pays to play this game. I don't think that anyone has the right to judge another person play style, especially now that the cheats and speed hacks are so rampant in this game we all love.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well since she is my CO GM of our faction guild, I will answer that question for you. She is a support character for the defenders, she tracks, fields heals and rez alliance mates. And she also keeps an eye out for those that log out in our base (the same faction as we are )to disrupt out fielding and defense. Michelle is a valuable player in our defense that we use on Great Lakes. It takes a group to do factions and that everyone is NOT a PVPER.
See everything is not just about PVP its a group effort your defenders, and your Pvpers.

tink'r_toiz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Those crappy players are as important as the uber ones, everyone pays to play this game. I don't think that anyone has the right to judge another person play style, especially now that the cheats and speed hacks are so rampant in this game we all love.
I have cooled down a bit now. Agree totally with Arabella. I pay EA $52.00 a month to maintain 4 accounts to play FACTIONS. I did not read anywhere that "EA Devs at any given moment may determine your play style invalid or you to be a crappy player". We are your customers and you have no right to decide which of us is "crappy". Your measure of crappy most likely is NOT my measure of crappy.

But I am willing to listen and I am still waiting for that definition.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mark_Mythic;1687945 The idea is said:
Hey tink'r, so I was flip earlier, sorry. Look you are taking that one line out of context.

The question before this was how do you keep everyone from joining the same faction. His response is part of some other posts as well about how scoring in general works. So in this case, the definition exists solely in the light of where you are in the shard scoreboard for players who are actively working the scoring system.

The team goal is still the team goal. Where you were getting zero recognition from the system before, now you will have some things to point to and say, "Hey, I did that!" Probably doesn't help all that much, but maybe a lil?

He has said so much other about inclusion of other playstyles that I can't see it being defaming to any particular type of player intentionally.

S

Sunchicken

1. You still haven't said whether you are going to have stat loss 5 min on just the TC or if it will go to the real shards as well. If it does go to the real shard.. thats silly. and Your Welcome.

2. Patience is such a ****ty word in this industry. I think its ridiculously old. It's basically saying.. Forget about what your complain about right now.. we will address it later. 8 Years later the devs still didn't fix **** in the old system and they said the same thing when Factions were released and everyone was complaining about the exploits and bugginess. Unfortunately for you, the MMO industry has been out long enough for players to learn 'dev language'. I speak for myself when I say.. I'd rather you just say '**** off Cardell, I don't like your feedback'.

3. Why would you only play on 1 client. From what I understand both are supposed to be supported and I'm pretty sure most pvpers use the 2D client. I understand you may not like the way the game looks, and you want to make it look how you want it to.. Good for you.. we pay the bills,, I think you should be catering to what the player wants.

4. I played not only last night, but all day as well.. With 15 or so different people that I have played with and against. I think every single one of them (2d client) said the base was ugly and laggy. I say again,.... The customers said,,, it was laggy.

5. WTF is the point of a good story to back a pvp system if the pvp system sucks because the story doesn't allow it to meet its potential. I'm sorry I'm not a developer but this is common sense to me. It also shows how ignorant of the facts you are of the state of pvp and factions let alone the affects they have on one another. I understand you want to play in a pretty castle.. but I think I speak for the people who plan on actually utilizing this system when I say.. Simplicity is better.. Use the same theme on all the walls.. simple tiles.. Less lag goes a lot farther than more decorations. The only people that will live in those bases.. are stealth archers.. lots and lots of them.

6. Me and my friend filled every single tile of Minax base with impassable items. Lol it was funny.. You think for 1 second I couldn't or wouldn't take the time to do it in the new bases? Lol.. Welcome to factions.. Now.. you can ask everyone who as been in vent with me.. I'm no jerk.. Ya know what I think is lame.. People who call me a jerk because I use the game mechanics against them. With that being said, I do think a lot of blocking tiles is lame.. and I don't do it all that much.. Every once and a while, its funny to watch ppl rage over it.

7. Believe it or not.. I'm dishing out what I feel I'm getting from you. I've been pretty much kicked in the balls from you guys over and over and over for the last 7 or 8 years.. Its ridiculous. Look at the god damn history and LOOK WHAT THE GOD DAMN PLAYERS ASK FOR.. FIXES! TWEAKS! NOT Pixel crack and carebear garbage..

TBH.. I wish you were standing next to me.. for **** sake.. maybe for once you would take me or some of the other people who actually played the factions for a long time seriously.. Because its completely obvious that we are just names on a forum to you and as long as we are paying our subs, and your collecting your paycheck... you'll be here to make pretty castles for you to run around in and feel like your at home.

Honesty dude.. The changes sucks.. You're ****ing our system up.. If I said anything else it would be a lie.

I logged back in for the first time in 2 weeks to give you pointers. Knowing that most of the jackasses logging into the Faction Test Center a) dont know what the **** they are looking for to fix and b) have a good idea of what the factions were and should be. Sorry you don't like my feedback.. I don't like your changes.. So as far as I'm concerned we are even.

Have a good one dood.

damn right ...

tink'r_toiz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey tink'r, so I was flip earlier, sorry. Look you are taking that one line out of context.

The question before this was how do you keep everyone from joining the same faction. His response is part of some other posts as well about how scoring in general works. So in this case, the definition exists solely in the light of where you are in the shard scoreboard for players who are actively working the scoring system.

The team goal is still the team goal. Where you were getting zero recognition from the system before, now you will have some things to point to and say, "Hey, I did that!" Probably doesn't help all that much, but maybe a lil?

He has said so much other about inclusion of other playstyles that I can't see it being defaming to any particular type of player intentionally.
Possibly but still the inference to "not caring" about what lesser (how that is to be defined is still pending) players do was there. If it was not meant as a slight, then he can explain exactly what he meant but imo it shows his predisposition to considering successful, point earning pvpers to be the "ones that count".

I am willing to listen and reconsider my current evaluation of his statement.

S

Sir Achilles

#1. STATLOSS

#2. TOWN CONTROL

#3. FACTION ARTIFACTS

#4. FACTION BASES

What he said! :thumbup:

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
damn right ...
Oh brother...

Look, I'm sure ya'll are sick and tired of hearing from me, and the good news is the boss has made plans that covers just about all of my weekend. I'm looking forward to getting out and doing whatever she has planned with the fam.

But, before I wander off I'll leave you with something to chew on.

Someone needs to be thinking about what it means that the bases are so damn big and so elaborately detailed. Someone needs to be thinking about what it means that this new scoreboard shows details we never dreamed about looking at closely. These things did not just make themselves.

Someone somewhere is very committed to giving serious attention and man hours to a revitalization of a faction system we like a lot. Ever seen Yard Crashers? Not one homeowner in that show ever has a dream or a plan that is as big as the one that falls into their lap, and by working in tandem with a guy that has the know how and tools to actually accomplish big things they get a major transformation for the better. I'm willing to bet, if we the players dont screw it up, we can have the same here.

The dev team is at a low, and yet here we have stated commitment, work already accomplished, and a tangible product that shows a willingness to do major works.

If we stay so busy blowing off ten years of steam, or looking for intrusions, instead of offering a welcome, the losers will be us.

I'll tell you one thing, if I was riding up in a truck with enough pavers and plants and decorative fixtures to make over someones property and I was met by a surly looking man in a bathrobe carting a shotgun and his bristled Rot, I would turn tale and never ever visit that address ever again.

What do you think entitles you to be inhospitable?

Well?

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I understand it is down for a round of fixes and internal testing.

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What do you think entitles you to be inhospitable?

Well?
If you must know..

They've been wiping thier ass with pvpers ever since trammel came out.. Pushing them out of the game and ignoring everything. When they actually start to look at factions (the last real pvp system left) they let someone do it with out basing any of the changes off of the faction communities input. It's a slap in the face. Which, I guess I have to admit, Hurts even though we all pretty much saw it coming.

You can try and help the factions by putting in a patch and mess things up once and call it a mistake. OK, OK we can work with it and not make the same mistake. Do it 2 patches in a row and you really have to take a step back and think about it, maybe reassess everything. Do it 3 times in a row,,, wow... you're just trolling.

It's not reasonable to say they are taking us seriously. The only explanation is they don't care. Whether its the devs, the COs,, it doesn't marter.. We are, and have been getting ****ed over for too long to care if I hurt feelings.