• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] EM DROPS

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My two cents, don't care if you agree or not.

Make a check in stone at the start of the event, one in the middle, and one when hitting the end boss or bosses. Then make it random for all that hit a certain point in the damage so that you have to hit it x number if times to assure that you don't have one hit and walk away problems. This would not only increase attendance at events, but bring the casual players as well as money players who can stomach an entire event. As well as keeping those players who gate in multiple accounts running scripts to get more than one drop.

I say this because I'm tired of seeing people gate in their entire guild of xshard gimps when the boss pops, all in their leet gear and event perfect templates who have no care for the story line, or the game. All they want is an item to line their pockets with cash. And yes ill say it, your using easy uo scripts as well.

I have backed away from events for this very reason. I come to some because of roleplay, or to support our EM's on Atlantic, but that's getting rarer and rarer.

Again, I don't give two shakes if you agree or not, just throwing my voice into the mix.

Goodbye

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If the event is about bringing a community together to have some fun there is no reason why the person that does the most damage should get a drop every time. I have fought this, talked about it, and been disgusted with the EM system of giving out drops.

Going to go with the old rule "if you didnt bring enough for everyone dont bring anything at all. "

Community and fun should be the only concern for doing em events, so in turn the only answer is either create a drop for everyone or no one.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If events were totatally random, everyone would be forced to open as many accounts as possible to do the mininum amount of damage required for looting right, then move on to the next account. id probably have 5 accounts on each shard each with 50 ep, 50 alchemy, spirit speak to heal. and throw potions. that just doesnt seem fun at all to me.

I would love to see balance to the skills. i just dont see it happening. UO has a very small developement team.

Like, a kryss does low damage theres no way to make that damage higher.
A soul glaive does high damage. you can swing a soul glaive just as fast as a kryss with current gear.

The "Fix" to balance events would mean negating the "improvements" to the game the dev team has worked on the last few years. I really dont see a simple fix balance wise.

That being said, how hard would it be to implement a drop system based on Percentage Damage Done related to Percentage Drop Chance, Rather than a simple Top Ten 100percent drop chance.

I dont agree that event drops should be totally random. to me thats saying the effort people put into the game and their characters is worthless. Its a game heavily based on combat. Their could be more non-combat events, but if the "grand finale" of an event is killing a monster, players that kill that monster "better" should have higher chance for reward. I dont agree with 100% chance, but definitely a Higher chance. if you choose to not put the time and effort into combat, thats a choice but your also choosing not to have the best chance at getting a reward.

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If events were totatally random, everyone would be forced to open as many accounts as possible to do the mininum amount of damage required for looting right, then move on to the next account. id probably have 5 accounts on each shard each with 50 ep, 50 alchemy, spirit speak to heal. and throw potions. that just doesnt seem fun at all to me.

I would love to see balance to the skills. i just dont see it happening. UO has a very small developement team.

Like, a kryss does low damage theres no way to make that damage higher.
A soul glaive does high damage. you can swing a soul glaive just as fast as a kryss with current gear.

The "Fix" to balance events would mean negating the "improvements" to the game the dev team has worked on the last few years. I really dont see a simple fix balance wise.

That being said, how hard would it be to implement a drop system based on Percentage Damage Done related to Percentage Drop Chance, Rather than a simple Top Ten 100percent drop chance.

I dont agree that event drops should be totally random. to me thats saying the effort people put into the game and their characters is worthless. Its a game heavily based on combat. Their could be more non-combat events, but if the "grand finale" of an event is killing a monster, players that kill that monster "better" should have higher chance for reward. I dont agree with 100% chance, but definitely a Higher chance. if you choose to not put the time and effort into combat, thats a choice but your also choosing not to have the best chance at getting a reward.
Based on the theory of multiple accounts, what is to stop people from taking 3 or 4 accounts all with top gear and getting that many drops now? Nothing as far as I am concerned.

For general content I agree that better templates and gear result in better drops just because they can complete the content more efficiently. However for community content like EM events I think everyone who puts in enough effort to get looting rights on the boss should have an equal shot at the reward. Anyone who then takes the route of bringing as many characters as they can is just putting thier greed on display.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think we can look back at when the Exodus boss fight first happened. The first night, any newb character was able to magic arrow it and get a +5 stat scroll. After the first night, they made some kind of change that set some kind of threshold you had to hit to be eligible. If they can do that for Exodus, one assumes they can do that for EM Bosses. This of course, would eliminate the whole "If its random, people will just bring newbies" argument. Of course, some will say they will just train up multiple characters to get more than 1 drop, which ya know, is happening NOW.

On one hand, it would kinda be disappointing personally to not get as many drops as I do currently (Since I collect), especially since it feels a bit rewarding for all the work I have put into knowing the game and playing my character. On the other hand, I admit it will probably make the distribution of items more like the old days but BETTER with the elimination of script looting, not finding the corpse, ect.

It would also be nice knowing I could take a certain character that I want to play and join in on the RP with, instead of being forced to use a certain template. I have actually seriously considered changing my template on Atlantic (A melee Paladin), due to the boss compositions they have been using to try to make things "More fair" or "challenging" but have really only made things easier for anyone ranged (IE Throwers). Not that I blame them, it must be really hard to make something that can withstand all the damage throwers/WODers do.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't attend events. I could probably fit a couple in with RL, but the few times I have gone I have not enjoyed the experience. The negative talk by many left a sour taste. They should be squelched or put in jail until the event is over. I had a hard time following the story and what the EM said because it would be spammed off my journal and forget seeing it above their head. I have a huge respect for EMs. I don't know if I could have the patience to not blow up at the level of disrespect and having put hours and hours of work into it. So that is reason #1.

Reason #2, I play solo. One of the EM events I attended... there was a large fight and I died. I got to stay dead for the rest of the entire event (about 30 mins) because no one would res me. I do not belong to a guild and there is no one I even talk to on ICQ on a regular basis. I used to be far more social in-game, but I just keep to myself these days since I stopped rping. This is my problem and I own it.

Reason #3, I have zero chance at getting something from the event. I have no "insider" info and I'm sure my templates and gear are beyond outdated. I stopped PvPing several years ago because it felt like I needed a mmorpg degree to understand what does what, know equations and formulas, how to counter stuff, etc. Ick. I understand that this is my issue and not the fault of any other player that I do not fix these things. My account is 198 months old. I have played through the changes in this game for a long time and I also played when gear was very easy to understand... and then runics came and Malas... and things started to get more difficult. Now we have imbuing and reforging, etc. That is when I shut down. Over the past years I have learned and done the work and just when I get a template I can play and get it geared up etc... something changes. This ol' dragon is tired of the changes and the frustration.

What would make me attend the EM events?

1. Warn and then REMOVE the *******s - put them in timeout in a jail for length of the event - mark the account. If there are multiple offenses, take more severe action. Those of us who are interested in rping and following the plot AND WORK BY THE EM are punished by not dealing with these people. The EM is disrespected. You would find more EM applications if EMs didn't have to put up with this too. It is frustrating not only to not be able to follow the story and interact, but to see some who act that way also be rewarded at the end of the event.

2. Reevaluate the drop system to see if there is a way to solve the unattended player, those that just participate in the boss fight and make it so the average player has a chance to get a drop. When drops become impossible for the average player either due to the amount of gold needed to be competitively geared or the level of character including scrolls, etc... it is no longer a "community event". There is a big difference between challenging and impossible. Having -ONE- GM skill USED to be a sense of pride and if you had Lord/Lady you were treated like one... it didn't take gold... it took effort. Someone with decent gear should have a chance... even if it is a random one.

I made a suggestion awhile ago on a different thread. Keep the drops the way it is and place a vending machine at the end of the event. The vending machine would have the exact same item with the exception that it would have [Souvenir] at the end of the title. One per account. Perhaps there is some way to check the person has participated when they go to click the stone. That way everyone gets something for attending and participating in the event and the top players get the "non-souvenirs" that still have some status/value.

3. Place NPC healers/Vets. Charge gold for the resurrections. I would be okay with paying for it and it would act as a mini-gold sink.

Disclaimer: The above is my point of view. I hope Bonnie or another Dev will read my post and others and look into the system. I personally wouldn't care if they made items account bound, shard bound or souvenirs as I suggested.

Decadence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
My account is 198 months old. I have played through the changes in this game for a long time and I also played when gear was very easy to understand... and then runics came and Malas... and things started to get more difficult. Now we have imbuing and reforging, etc. That is when I shut down. Over the past years I have learned and done the work and just when I get a template I can play and get it geared up etc... something changes. This ol' dragon is tired of the changes and the frustration.
Great Points Assia! As for the above snippet of your quote... I understand your feelings, but if by chance devs do read these, I feel compelled to comment here.

One of the HUGE differences between this game and other games is that other games have "patterns". You craft exactly what pattern you have, it is what it is, and anyone with the pattern can craft it. On UO the system here is SUPERB. It is amazing and intricate for such an old game. People can spend hours on end crafting, and trying to get the "perfect pieces to hammer in for the suit they are trying to get. Yes it is complex, yes they keep changing things to keep it interesting, and try to balance crafting items with loot items found in dungeons ( I WISHHH THEY WOULD TACKLE TREASURE CHESTS AND SOS CHESTS AND MAKE LOOT EXCITING YOOHOO DEVS ^_^). Regardless, there are players on the game who make crafting and gear a profession. Like those who need to sell rares and seek out people who make rares their business, who have done the research, have knowledge through experience etc. There are plently who will give advice about gear, or create you an outfit with your mats, or sell you one for a high price. I know a few who know templates well, and know how to create extreme high end suits for those templates, custom made for the player who knows nothing about crafting. They will also spend hours trying to help you learn some of it yourself. So I would not wish to change anything about how complex the crafting system is. Improvements can always be made, but yes then you might have to relearn the system. The price we pay for not being as boring in crafting as world of warcraft and other games :)

Anyway derailment over ---Back to topic ^_^

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the things i love about UO is the gear level is up to date for a long time. Like many other UOers i played wow for a bit, but ultimately quit because of how fast your gear and character went obsolete. Gear about every 3 months, character every time you were forced to level. so every year or so. it was a mind numbing grind.
Im very thankful that i can make a competive suit with whats available in the game at the time and its good for YEARS.

And the time it takes is comparatively very little. It might take 50 plus hours have a competive suit in wow. Probably more.

you can make a competive event suit for very cheap in about 3 hours or less after you have your jewels (which arent that hard to find now that shame loots been out for a long time.) nothing compared to a pvp suit.

Multi Dwagon

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Olcher gets alot of items because
1. He knows how to play his characters well
2. Goes to EVERY event. EVERY SINGLE ONE
3. Obviously knows how to play his characters/templates

The BIGGEST key to events is knowledge. The suit/character are secondary
what!?

claudia-fjp

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm, a lot of people bring up script looting back when they were drops on a corpse. I'd like to point out that with instanced corpses on a per char basis no one could script loot your drop unless you didn't bother to check for it and the corpse became public minutes later.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm, a lot of people bring up script looting back when they were drops on a corpse. I'd like to point out that with instanced corpses on a per char basis no one could script loot your drop unless you didn't bother to check for it and the corpse became public minutes later.
i think thats the point. it happened every event. people dying and not being able to be rezzed fast enough, or the boss corpse being lost under dragons and corpses. the boss often went public before everyone had a chance to loot.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still say this is a great thread. Especially for newcomers or the Veterans who have been frustrated on why their templates are not working. There are lots of valuable information through these posts. We can all agree at this point, there is not a simple solution to all of this but many were offered. Not one side can take the full blame.

I don't blame those who adapted and profited from it.

I don't blame those who refuse to change but want equal rights.

I don't blame the EMs who have tried to balance these concerns, i.e. Great Lakes and Drachenfels EMs, those three are the most consistent and valuable EMs out there to date. Their schedules are regular, plot lines are rich with story, rewards are certain once or twice per months, and once or twice per year, promotions for all with rewards (GL Only). Other EMs can learn a lot from these three.

To me, at the end of all this, if you want it bad enough you'll find a way to get it. I took the advice and changed the templates on 3-4 chars and since I am lucky enough to have a few shard transfer shields, I pop them around. I just took a count from my own list and counted 42 items I was able to nab from last season (but that's out of a few hundred events I've attended). So no complaints from me. Some story lines I was able to follow and really enjoyed. For example, the Jade Statue events on Drachenfels that have spanned over a year now and because the EM was creative enough to dangle the carrots in front of us months after months, we knew there is a full set of zodiac statues to collect and will have at least me going back for more. Isn't that the point? Going back for more? If EMs can do that, then I believed this system is still working and worth my $9.99 per month.

For those I want but didn't get, I rely on my other UO skills such as begging, well mainly begging for a good deal. I've gone beyond Legendary Begging by now.

lineman

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jan 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still say this is a great thread. Especially for newcomers or the Veterans who have been frustrated on why their templates are not working. There are lots of valuable information through these posts. We can all agree at this point, there is not a simple solution to all of this but many were offered. Not one side can take the full blame.

I don't blame the EMs who have tried to balance these concerns, i.e. Great Lakes and Drachenfels EMs, those three are the most consistent and valuable EMs out there to date. Their schedules are regular, plot lines are rich with story, rewards are certain once or twice per months, and once or twice per year, promotions for all with rewards (GL Only). Other EMs can learn a lot from these three.

To me, at the end of all this, if you want it bad enough you'll find a way to get it. I took the advice and changed the templates on 3-4 chars and since I am lucky enough to have a few shard transfer shields, I pop them around. I just took a count from my own list and counted 42 items I was able to nab from last season (but that's out of a few hundred events I've attended). So no complaints from me. Some story lines I was able to follow and really enjoyed. For example, the Jade Statue events on Drachenfels that have spanned over a year now and because the EM was creative enough to dangle the carrots in front of us months after months, we knew there is a full set of zodiac statues to collect and will have at least me going back for more. Isn't that the point? Going back for more? If EMs can do that, then I believed this system is still working and worth my $9.99 per month.

For those I want but didn't get, I rely on my other UO skills such as begging, well mainly begging for a good deal. I've gone beyond Legendary Begging by now.
There still should be balance. No one should be forced to make a certain character to have a chance at a drop at events. How is this fair to the people who have been loyal for years doing events on there shard to basically be shut out because certain people have cracked the system. Most people who play this game play casually. They have developed characters that have worked for years till now. This monopoly is slowly killing the rares community. . People are getting sick of the same people posting drops event after event. They go there with there tamers and warriors and are right on the boss. And when the boss dies they look in there pack to see the same thing they see at every event, NOTHING. There was a time not long ago when that wasn't the case. Now you look on rares forum after events to see which one of the monopoly crew post there drop first for sale. (seems like a race amongst them to me). Trust me when I say it is killing this community though.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Depends on how you look at it. We know there are players who never attend events but loves to collect. So to them, it doesn't matter who got the item as long as they can buy them. In fact, those sellers have found these players and usually offers the items to them first before appearing on Stratics. So regardless of the system at least this won't affect this group.

Those who are new to collecting and like attending events, they are making the right templates to begin with and through time they are getting better and better at getting the items. Smoot, Tami, Xug are perfect examples of this group.

What it really boils down to are those who collects and attends but refuse to change their templates. They are now faced with three options:

1. Change and adapt
2. Don't change but still attend and occasionally get an Arc End item or promotion item through attendance
3. Stopped attending events. This last option has 2 other outcomes:
a. continue to play this game just not attend events
b. quit (This is the least likely outcome as for many who posted here, they still play just don't attend events)

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see some change. I still think the best option would be a marriage of the Points/Reward system, i.e. as you attend events there is a counter for each of your char that does damage (simply done because we've seen this via invasion events and tokuno turn-in events) and as points one can claim at the reward center (NPC with different levels of rewards). And make the rewards really spread out in points so that everyone has a chance to accumulate points and claim rewards. For example, put in something that we all know would take a year or more to get something that's worth 1 billion points or more. This way it becomes Effort/Reward based, i.e. how much work you put into it is potentially what type of reward you can get out of it. Those that's worth 1 billion + points we all know only a few of the die-hard players will achieve that and for them, kudos if they get one and I have no problem they sell it for 1 billion GP as they deserve it. For those casual players, they can still rack up points but claim reward at their own time and perhaps a smaller reward but still rare to them. This way, EVERYONE WINS!!!!!!!!

Where the EM comes in is they can still have their own story line but now for all of us knowing that we don't have to worry about getting the items but just accumulate points throughout the event we can pay more attention to the story and participate and have fun. Wouldn't this concept be AWESOME?

Last edited:

4runnersport

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lineman read my first post. No certain temp (your opinion throwers) pull all the drops. In fact theres a lot of throwers out there that rarely pull. I run 3 diff temp setups and do just fine on all of them. The game expands and changes all the time with new things such as skills reforging enhancing etc. Didn't your first post say you been away awhile so im sure your temp/suit aren't up to par. Uo will never be able to completely balance everything in this game they do the best they can. If uo kills off a certain temp (in your case throwers) than the ppl that play only throwers will just adapt with the change put time and effort into finding something else that works and continue doin what they r doin now. Nothing will change you want pull drops anymore than you do now. I suggest you update your suits tweak your temp some and put some effort into it and you will have a better chance. If you don't want to put the time and effort into it youll never be happy with the end results. The time you've put into this thread you could have spent reading up askin questions and figuring out a better way. Just trying to help you man but its only help if you listen. Stay on here and complain bc you don't wanna put time and effort into adapting with uo and keep getting disappointed or adapt and reap rewards for your hard work in learning a better way to play.

Decadence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter

Well said, and you touched on some points that I want to add to... The EM's that do the everyone drops once in awhile so that those who attend, and never get items can get something, is awesome. I don't believe in an everyone drop everytime as some have suggested, as its not really a rare unless its rare. I also love Great Lakes EM. One of my favorites for sure. I love the prizes for attendance, and extra points for participating in roleplay events. I wish all EMs would do this. In fact I wish answering or playing along with the rp aspects would count even more, and perhaps small random prizes could be given out for answering correct questions etc.

I wish there was a way to stop the multi character bots, that would be ideal too.

Everyone has added some great things to this thread for sure!

lineman

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lineman read my first post. No certain temp (your opinion throwers) pull all the drops. In fact theres a lot of throwers out there that rarely pull. I run 3 diff temp setups and do just fine on all of them. The game expands and changes all the time with new things such as skills reforging enhancing etc. Didn't your first post say you been away awhile so im sure your temp/suit aren't up to par. Uo will never be able to completely balance everything in this game they do the best they can. If uo kills off a certain temp (in your case throwers) than the ppl that play only throwers will just adapt with the change put time and effort into finding something else that works and continue doin what they r doin now. Nothing will change you want pull drops anymore than you do now. I suggest you update your suits tweak your temp some and put some effort into it and you will have a better chance. If you don't want to put the time and effort into it youll never be happy with the end results. The time you've put into this thread you could have spent reading up askin questions and figuring out a better way. Just trying to help you man but its only help if you listen. Stay on here and complain bc you don't wanna put time and effort into adapting with uo and keep getting disappointed or adapt and reap rewards for your hard work in learning a better way to play.
You still dodge the balance I am speaking of. If you put your maxed stat suit on my fencer I still will not get in the top damage %. And the time I have put into this thread is for the majority of the event goers who are sick of the monopoly. I have received many icq's of people feeling the exact same way I do. I am not sure why people do not speak out here but I have always spoken my mind. I have made friends and enemy's in the past because of my opinions. But one thing I do know is that I have been playing since 98 and have never seen such an imbalance of game play as I do now. Allot of the people who have posted against me here did the same thing when I came out and said there had to be a dupe with the gold that was flowing around a year or two ago. Some people said I was full of it then as well. We all know how that turned out. The rares community will be doomed if this unbalanced system is not corrected. The only thing that will be rare in the future will be collectors.

4runnersport

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Solus uses a swordsman on atl and gets drops (btw atl has some of the harder bosses bennu enjoys watching the deaths). what would be any diff about your fencer? how would you know until you try it? im not dodging anything im just speaking facts and how it is and how it will be until you stop wanting drops for free and not put any work into adapting your temp with uo and I still find plenty of rares buyers without using this forum most of the time so sales hasn't decreased only the price on items from a year ago this time

Last edited:

Decadence

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see some change. I still think the best option would be a marriage of the Points/Reward system, i.e. as you attend events there is a counter for each of your char that does damage (simply done because we've seen this via invasion events and tokuno turn-in events) and as points one can claim at the reward center (NPC with different levels of rewards). And make the rewards really spread out in points so that everyone has a chance to accumulate points and claim rewards. For example, put in something that we all know would take a year or more to get something that's worth 1 billion points or more. This way it becomes Effort/Reward based, i.e. how much work you put into it is potentially what type of reward you can get out of it. Those that's worth 1 billion + points we all know only a few of the die-hard players will achieve that and for them, kudos if they get one and I have no problem they sell it for 1 billion GP as they deserve it. For those casual players, they can still rack up points but claim reward at their own time and perhaps a smaller reward but still rare to them. This way, EVERYONE
That is an interesting idea. Definitely worth mulling over. Although..It does lack the excitement at the end of the event when you might get that "prize inside".

Once again...giving points for actively participating in the rp at the events to go towards the end points would be great! I have actually had people get annoyed with me for rping along with the EMs or joking around with them, as I was " slowing up the event .i.e. Making the event longer until people can get their drops. So I limit this although I feel that a) this should be the point of the event, and to have fun, b) I would think the EM would appreciate it rather than no one listening or participating with the storyline they created. If people received points for playing along, maybe the guilt for participating and drawing out the event a bit before a drop won't be an issue.

lineman

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*You* might, but I know people who would.
I think we all know that is pretty much not true. Even if all the throwers has regular weapons and the fencer had a jacked out slayer the thrower would still out perform. Unless you can show some stats on that I don't buy it, sorry.

4runnersport

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Go to test center and test throwers swords and fencers with the same setup with ais on the same thing..im pretty sure theres not gonna be much diff in numbers I think swords might actually even do more dmg?

lineman

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Go to test center and test throwers swords and fencers with the same setup with ais on the same thing..im pretty sure theres not gonna be much diff in numbers I think swords might actually even do more dmg?
Hence the >

Unless you can show some stats on that I don't buy it, sorry.
and even then it would need to come from someone I trusted like Assia. Not saying that I think any of you would get fancy with photo shop or anything else to falsify the stats.

Last edited:

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Reason #2, I play solo. One of the EM events I attended... there was a large fight and I died. I got to stay dead for the rest of the entire event (about 30 mins) because no one would res me. I do not belong to a guild and there is no one I even talk to on ICQ on a regular basis. I used to be far more social in-game, but I just keep to myself these days since I stopped rping. This is my problem and I own it.
This is one place I can always give kudos to EM Avalon, wherever the mayhem is, she always spawns a healer a short distance away.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hence the >

and even then it would need to come from someone I trusted like Assia. Not saying that I think any of you would get fancy with photo shop or anything else to falsify the stats.
Fencers could get an reward but that depends on if the boss had area effects such as acids, EQs which EMs these days love to add that script on them. A dexer has no chance under that condition.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I usually get items just fine on my Swords guy. Only the past couple have I had some problems, and that was due to various factors. I really dont care if you believe me or not, but like I said Knowledge > Template.

4runnersport

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The bosses r mixed up. I see some that r weaver friendly some that r dexxer friendly. there is no perfect temp. no matter what I say to try to help you you will find something to complain about so continue complaining in this thread while others continue to adapt with uo. if solus can pull on a swords you can pull on a fencer

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have to disagree here. The Drachenfels EM is not a shining example of an EM. For the most part, the last 3 years of events on this server have been:
1.) Walk/get gated to a location
2.) Kill 10-20 identical monsters
3.) Kill a boss (since the new drop system).
Not only are their events boring but lack player interaction and have shallow story lines. The only time you see the EM role playing character is in the beginning where they give a brief introduction, usually "oh no xxxx has been stolen by yyyy we must retrieve it" and at the end. Hell, 90% of their event chains are just copied from the zodiac, Grimms Fairy Tales, etc. Zero creativity. The only event chain I remember that there was an actual 'story' created by the EM (the one with the Donkey Gold, cudgels etc.) but in reality the intro to the events were being copy/pasted from a book. Only recently has the EM started to do the 'player rp' event line but I feel it's too little too late. (On a side note: how were there drops at this event? I thought player events could not get drops? The EM even stated it at the beginning of the chain verbatim that there will never be drops at player events.)
I think you and many others have fallen trap to this EM and his shiney/valuable items he creates when in reality his 2-events per month are bare minimum. Compare this to the other servers where a single EM does 4-5 events a month (Napa, Legends, Sonoma, etc.) with original content and player RP interaction.
The Drachenfel's EM is the only EM who has to translate into 2 languages at every event so he should get handicap points. Yes his stick with 2 events per month but his events are long over the proposed 1 hour. Albeit they are fighting but nonetheless still activity and you can't just sit around either as his guardians are usually 20+ and each mean as hell. Many of the EMs you mentioned while its true they may have weekly events but most of the time is 20 minutes here or 30 minutes there and on some shards just sit around with substitution events called HoC. I mean just sitting around and chat or "meet and greet" those I don't even call them events and are just as bad as trying to pass them off as one.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The bosses r mixed up. I see some that r weaver friendly some that r dexxer friendly. there is no perfect temp. no matter what I say to try to help you you will find something to complain about so continue complaining in this thread while others continue to adapt with uo. if solus can pull on a swords you can pull on a fencer

Not true,

Dexter friendly are also Thrower friendly and Tamer and Weaver friendly

Thrower friendly are just Thrower friendly and archer friendly (sometimes)

Tamer friendly are also all other friendly

Weaver friendly are sometimes just weaver friendly because the boss negates all other attacks down to 1 pt damage

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I usually get items just fine on my Swords guy. Only the past couple have I had some problems, and that was due to various factors. I really dont care if you believe me or not, but like I said Knowledge > Template.
If the boss behaved like Thrasher with EQ and or acids you ain't getting an item. No way. Just the fire alone and paralysis will kill you every time and you must get close enough to hit it. And while you try to rez the throwers will have gotten in 5-10 throws worth of hits already and that's each time you go through this process. Hit and run against those templates won't work as well because you'll get paralyzed at random times during this process and as soon as that happens and if you're in the fire, you're gone.

Last edited:

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here is some proof that makes my case stronger, in the since of the grieving done at EM Events. I literally feel embarrassed to be an Atlantian now after tonight's Meet & Greet on Atlantic. The Immaturity this game has is the ONE and ONLY reason why I'm starting to loose interested in the events.

In all honesty, who cares what method is needed to get the items? Because the reality is: Event Moderator's are paid to do what they do. They don't get paid enough to tolerate this abusive behavior from players. Eventually, there will be no EM's because they are tired of dealing with low-life's that inhabit this game and have constant rule in the community.

Tonight after the meet & greet, I was still being harassed and even rumor were STILL going around about me scamming. BY THE SAME PERSON I REPORTED OVER A MONTH AGO. The fact is, if the grievers aren't controlled.. and banned as it should be... we won't have to worry about what template to use at events.

Some examples below from tonight's meet and greet:

example1.JPG

example2.JPG

example3.JPG

example4.JPG

example5.JPG

example6.JPG

example7.JPG

example8.JPG

example9.JPG

example10.JPG

example11.JPG

example12.JPG

example13.JPG

example14.JPG

example15.JPG

example16.JPG

example17.JPG

example18.JPG

example21.JPG

The audacity of some people. These are just a FEW of what I could have taken.

I am truly sorry our new EM witnessed all this. Why should EM's put up with immature people constantly. And the sad this Is.. this is at a Meet & Greet... hell of a lot worse at an actual event.

Attachments

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Be thankful it's just a game, someone has to deal with them people in real life :eek:
Tell me about it. Trying working in any kind of customer service field, this behavior isnt something new to UO or EM Events.

Im also not sure what any of that has to do with the topic of the drop system.

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is some proof that makes my case stronger, in the since of the grieving done at EM Events. I literally feel embarrassed to be an Atlantian now after tonight's Meet & Greet on Atlantic. The Immaturity this game has is the ONE and ONLY reason why I'm starting to loose interested in the events.
For this exact reason I do not attend events on Atlantic (one of the 2 shards I play on) It's bad.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
First, the spammed "gimme!" at events is beyond annoying. It ruins some events, and starts even before the event itself does.

Imho, event drops are meant to be mementos. They don't need to be - indeed shouldn't - be worth hundreds of millions, or billions, within an hour of dropping. The only reason they are is artificial scarcity. I'd much rather see every event as an everyone drop, or a 3 minute clicky. That's long enough for people to click, but not long enough to gate in masses who weren't actually at the event. Even better, at the end of an event, open a gate to one of the unused caves in Ilsh, like the Formosa EM did for the toybox. Now noone can gate non-attendees in; they have to take the EM's gate. So if you attend, you get an item. If you don't, you don't. To me, that seems fair.

90% of many events is the RP, not the killing of some boss. So to put all the benefit of a limited item drop solely on the amount of damage done to that boss seems unbalanced, simply when considering why you'd give out any item, regardless of the resulting prices that also are a result. The only people I can see benefiting from the current system are those who game it, rather than actually playing the game. I've been to events where even the EM has commented on how quickly the boss was defeated, but simply increasing the hitpoints to make the battles last longer just makes the problem worse; those who play only to skip the "event" and instead go straight to "deal the most damage" will still deal more damage, they'll just cause even more as a percentage than before.

Decadence, respectfully, I have to disagree when you say
I don't believe in an everyone drop everytime as some have suggested, as its not really a rare unless its rare.
Whether there's 1, 10, 50, 100, or ten thousand of any item, there's still a limited number of them. "Rare" is a relative term. I can go buy as many runes as I want. Hell, I got killed several times on Europa today going into bizarre shard-unique places, and left at least a few dozen blank ones on my various corpses. I can buy runes. They're not rare.

Prepatch shipwreck shells, though, I can't get or make those. They're "rare"... but they're hard to sell even at 10k. But quantity doesn't always affect price. Compare McMurdos' lost marbles (15 count, iirc) still selling under 100m, to the "Scrap Of Memory Torn From The Mind Of Charlotte Amandine Showing The Murder Of Her Family" and the "Painting Of A Boy Called "Addie" Walking Hand In Hand With The Time Lord Into The Ethereal Void". Both were clickys, iirc, or at least were high in quantities - significantly higher than 15, such that even on your site, you describe the former as
often seen hanging on walls in houses a long side the blue painting of the same hue called "Painting of a boy called “Addie” walking hand in hand with the time lord into the ethereal void".
It's 'often seen', and in my experience, often available for sale... yet it's both rare, and valueable, because it is desirable.

If this means we get 1/30, 1/50, 1/100, or even 1/1000 items, who cares? There'll still be demand, but of those who were there, none will go away disappointed, and we won't have people striking this artificially-created lottery on a regular basis multiple times a week. Good items will be in demand; lousy ones, not so much. Besides, wouldn't we all rather deal with the "rare" things we all started with, where prepatch and server-birth meant an eye for detail and paying attention to the twists and turns of the UO item system, not these artificial 'rares' created only minutes/hours/days ago (and with ever longer and more bizarre names/colors)?

Brian

Last edited:

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I like these events for the story line and the Role Play.

I no longer attend them due to the disruptive players that are only there for a drop. This was a huge turn off for me as they were constantly negative and disrespectful of the entire event and the time the Event Moderators took to put these on.

Have not been to one in over a year now. I think the Killing of Gareth on Chessy was the last one.

Getting a special fun item is cool but really for me I think the cool part is the memories of my fellow shard members and I heading out on the adventure. I don't think I would sell of an event item hard won from one of these if I earned one.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord

I always have a rez for you. :)

Last edited:

kongomongo

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Picking up that suggestion from before

Changing the current boss drop system to: "% of damage dealt == % of drop chance" would solve a lot of problems, no?

a) The top damagers would still have a high chance at getting stuff, just not as extreme as it is now
b) the casual player will have much higher chance to get one compared to almost 0 before

discuss

LordAngelus

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I believe the main issue here is that they can't change the looting system (requires code and it seems there is no real task force on the project right now).

Are EM events about performance?
No, they are about getting together and having a good time. Since the beginning of UO the goal was to allow people to have fun, to play in big groups and advance a story.

So I don't agree zith Kongomongo. There should only be two types of rewards:
- Everyone gets an item (double click something)
- X random people that have done damage to target

Sapphirediablo

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd like to see a system where when you fight against mobs that are protecting a boss (around the boss) those kills and damage is counted towards getting the rare, because that is taking part in the event more than just getting gated to the boss, kill boss, leave.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Picking up that suggestion from before

Changing the current boss drop system to: "% of damage dealt == % of drop chance" would solve a lot of problems, no?

a) The top damagers would still have a high chance at getting stuff, just not as extreme as it is now
b) the casual player will have much higher chance to get one compared to almost 0 before

discuss
It seems like theres 2 groups here, and little midground who actually want a "fair" system
I dont think its fair that only the absolute best characters / templates have a chance at items
I dont think its fair that someone who puts minimal effort into a character / template has just as much chance as someone who cares enough to invest gold, time, effort, and playing skill into events.
(i would love a fair system giving a chance for all while rewarding those who put in the extra effort)

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe the main issue here is that they can't change the looting system (requires code and it seems there is no real task force on the project right now).

Are EM events about performance?
No, they are about getting together and having a good time. Since the beginning of UO the goal was to allow people to have fun, to play in big groups and advance a story.

So I don't agree zith Kongomongo. There should only be two types of rewards:
- Everyone gets an item (double click something)
- X random people that have done damage to target
Events were NEVER solely about getting together and having a good time. They are the hardest pvm content in the game and in part testing yourself against extremely hard monsters. if non-combat events were the norm then yes i would agree events are more about "fun and community story time" but i think everyone would laugh at a crafter with no fighting skills in a robe showing up at an event and totally expecting to get a reward. even if the "boss" of that event was nothing more than a greater mongbat.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You find EM bosses hard? I find them ridiculously easy...
it wouldnt be easy to solo one. you can solo just about everything else in the game except a harrower.

yes they are very easy compared to other games.

Last edited: