• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Do you remember when....*nostalgia alert*

R

RowinArtist

I could swear that my and another person's post got deleted from this thread with no comment on it made.

P

pallas

I remember seers, counselors, and a land and game that used to be fun.

I miss the magic of UO.

H

hollylight

<blockquote><hr>

Do you remember when....
&lt;br&gt;
&lt;br&gt;The crossroads was a scary place to be for a new char? [image]/php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif[/image]

[/ QUOTE ]

I recall it being scary for a good char !!!!!!!!!

S

Sabbath

I remember a guy who placed a boat in Shame level 2 (where the water eles are) and would charge a small fee to ferry people across to the gate for level 3.

We used to scrimp and save to have a full plate armor suit then cover it with a robe to avoid unwanted attention.

Just out of beta, me and my guildmates scraped together enough to buy a little house that we placed waaay out in the woods east of Yew moongate. With no ability to recall, it was an insane effort to walk all the way to it and more than a few times, I just couldn't find it - you had to try to remember landmarks but it was tedious.

A gathering of 50+ players near the Yew moongate, travelling in a huge pack, attacking and getting slaughtered by Ettins and Ogres (beta days).

Lastly, I remember having Spirit Speak on all my characters so I could translate the OOoooOo's of ghosts into comprehensible words so I could help them. That is what the skill was created for - communicating with the dead. Ahh the good 'ol days...

B

Bort of Atlantic

When you could still cast spells and attack when someone cast paralyze on you...

When PKs would sit outside of Covetous 1 and cast paralyze fields.

When you could run around with 5 or 10 dragons and kill things.

When Lich Lords were the best loot in the game...tons of people packed into Deceit all trying to grab that one pouch.

When your own EV would attack you if you had higher magery than anyone/anything else around.

When pet commands didn't always work correctly...and a rogue (tamed) dragon would eat someone for dinner.

When heavy crossbows were viable because swing speed hadn't been introduced and nor did it matter.

When DP was still a fairly new tactic...I killed my first "PK" because he didn't know what to do about it. That was back when you could heal through it, too.

When a melee character could very well have archery because paralyze would stick you in one spot for a good 20 seconds.

When I could run around with a short spear because it might paralyze my opponent.

When mages would run around with halberds because of precasting combos.

When the Del Orc Fort was -the- place to be...grab that silver weapon and take down those liches!

When tamers camped Elder Gazers in Shame for phat lewt.

When you could tell someone was training parry in Power Hour because they had 8 guildmates beating on them with daggers.

When I got guard-whacked for pressing my attack-last macro in town

G

All the unattended macro players in guard zones, and how much fun it was to steal everything they had.

Turning a Guard Grey, and then robbing or killing him.

GM Tinkering by using keys only.

When Chaos Shrine actually was one of the most popular areas in the game.

Being the Hated, "Blue PK".

Watching someone get 10-20 escourts, and robbing them before he could.

Meeting the first other player with a Cool name. = Sir Lags a Lot.

Dying on a roof top, and having to have an alternate charater escourt a healer up there to res you.

Making a bunch of Bows, and going from town to town to shop to shop and being told, "I can not afford any more of that item" when trying to sell them.

Escourting a seeker of adventure. Robbing him. Escourting him to the dungeon and getting paid. Killing and looting him. 3 rewards for 1 escourt, Weeeeeeee.

I

imported_Heartseeker

Ahh the good old days.

Being in my first guild with buddies. Latter changing it to Chaos guild.Was a lot of fun.

Buying my first little house. Used to hide my first and only Red there.

Trying to be innovative in pvp. Used to have my horse attack mages to interrupt their spells,while I cast or dp'ed with Katana.

My first dungeon. Was so cool.

Being in Brit woods and getting killed by a guy with a orc mask.Told everyone I got pk'ed; to find out later that it was Orc Lord.lol.

Training Med when it first came out with some guildies at Brit Bank.

Meeting my first red. Wondered what Murderer was on paperdoll.lol.

R

RowinArtist

We could really use some You Tube videos linking to memories

Murdok

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I still pick regs up off the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gmed magery the first time from regs I picked up in FEL Glow and E Brit

B

Blue Fin

When you could order your pet to "speak"
When waves of ratmen, lizardmen and gazers would invade Brit and I would hide behind the older players, hoping to pick up anything I could sell from what was left on the corpses
The undead siege of Trinsic.
Monster AI that was that dumb that you could get them wedged up behind a house, and drag em out one at a time. (they didn't know enough to walk around)
Being scared to leave the guard zone because of "murderers"
Joining a PK guild as a form of protection
You could order a pet to "drop" their posessions
Taking a week off work to farm liches in Cove graveyard with my "Extremely Accurate Silver Large Battleaxe of Power"to get the gold to buy a house deed
Buying an L-shaped Villa deed, and trying to place it in Tram, getting telestormed to Fel 5 times.
Sitting at my keyboard for 18 hours trying to log in and place a house in Malas at the AOS launch.
Leaving my chars in UO behind for 3 years as I explored other MMORPGSS
Coming back to them again and how good it felt.

I

imported_Fizzleton

- first death: running into the woods west of britain to "explore the land". seeing that creepy beeing coming towards me, wondering why. becoming poisoned from a snake, and running around in horror not knowing what to do. spotting a healer, running to him and waiting that he would heal me. shouting "help!" at him; but he simply looked at me, saw my life sapping away, man what frustration! but he was so nice to insta-ress me, though...

- learning the hard way that gaining resists in firefields was a good idea, but using fire fields in dungeons was a bad one

- dropping an ev in the heat of the battle and watching it taking out the whole party

- getting my first great armor and weapon: was on brit cemetery whacking skeletons for gains and coins and bone armor. A red came, chased, killed and looted me. But then - a mighty blue hero appeared ("Wolf of Trinsic" I think was his name) and killed the pk! Ressed me, and handed me over the armor and the weapon of the pk who stood there whining! There was JUSTICE in those days!

K

kulssin

<blockquote><hr>

Do you remember when the public forges were THE place to go to get some nice GM armor and weps? Particularly Minoc and Brit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

*dabs at a tear*

Not necessarily purchase, but to get it repaired. Remember repairs? *hears crickets*

Yah.. with repair deeds that's not needed anymore I suppose. -1 to in game interaction in an MMORPG.

Trying to track down a friend who was a GM blacksmith or tailor to repair or replace your armor? Nope. No longer required. -1 to Community.

I need some pick axes to go mine! hmmmmmm... no GM Tinkers about.. Well there's one.. but he's afk after repairing his golem for his alt to beat on so he can GM some skill or another AFK over night and add it to his soulstone. -1 to interaction again.

Well.. I may as well go check in on my friend he Scribe. Surely she busy scribbling away at spell books for needy new players! Hmmmm.. nobody is home. Wait.. there's a book on her doorstep..

"Congrats to everyone who GM'd scribe on all their accounts.. my services are no longer needed as everyone has their own scribe now.. good bye cruel world. P.S. See my vendor in Luna for the best arties in game.. starting at only 20mil a piece"

Afterword:

New game, new people, instant gratification, blah blah blah...

I read that Aaron and Mythic's vision was stated at a Town Hall meeting last year as one that would bring back UO players that had abandoned the game. Why are you driving them away?

Tip to the EA team in a pre-AOS retrospect:

MMORPG does NOT = 6 character slots

If we wanted to play with ourselves.. well... you do the math.

G

When you used to be able to go out and work to fill your collection of mining/wood spots, then finally scream of joy that you're done and off mining you went.