• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Do you remember when....*nostalgia alert*

L

Le'a

My favorite memories are of peoples jaws dropping when a Mage was powerful enough to cast Gate or Ressurection.

Another being the first player with a Lord/Lady title. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

X

XsynTryK

I wasn't around at the VERY beginning but I can relate to most of this.....couple things I do remember......

Embarrassed to mention this but my first few days I had a REAL hard time telling real players from NPC's, especially when the NPC's talked to you! I actually tried to talk to alot of'em. Hey everyone's name was blue, I didn't know, lmao!

Not knowing how to heal myself

Actually thanking healers for res'ing/healing me

Buying a silver warfork of power off a player vendor for 2k (after I'd killed enough ettin's and ogre's to buy it ofcourse). And I didn't even know what silver weapons were for! I just knew they were good, LOL!

Getting pk'd on a daily basis

Getting mad the first time I got pk'd at Brit GY after the server warning by a blue (didn't know it wasn't saving anyway)

Getting my first ever newbied runebook and thinking it was the best thing ever created.....

Server wars and bounty boards..........GOD do I miss those!

H

Hawke

....buying a rune to the lich room (or worse) and labeling it "my house" and carrying an old house key with it in your pack so you could possibly get some kind of revenge when pk'd...

...another way to break into houses was to go under the steps by using a bag and a rune to keep recalling and marking...then get caught under the door when the owner logs on....

ImaHealer

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
remember when

There Were NO bank boxes!
IGM's Still Blessed player run houses
houses could be placed Inside guard zones
houses could be placed in dungeons
houses could be placed haning out in the air
a small house could be placed on Top of Large Towers

R

Richard M. Nixon

...when "looting" ment you might actually get something worthwhile.
...when "looting" was a way of life /php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif
...when a GM Provoking Bard was a GOD!!
...when you had no choice but to go through the tutorial.
...when "Haven" was a bannable offense.
...when Ossies in Tram were a bannable offense.
...when bank boxes had a weight limit.
...when the graveyards were "camped."
...Nobles? Two words: easy money.
...when a 4x (5x, 6x,7x) GM meant something....
...when a vet was someone who had played over a year.

G

Gareth_TBH

Skill walls! Try playing SP and you'll get plenty of skill walls...

N

Niatpac Nagrom

... you could gain more than 11 stat points a day?
... gaining skills BEFORE powerhour was implemented?
... when having 1 mil gold was unheard of?
... you got your first house?
... having a house actually meant something?
... a small tower felt like a castle?
... expansions were announced and you thought good things would happen?

My favorite memory is playing when the game first came out. There were literally NO Game Masters, Counselors, Seers, IGMs, and noone had even heard of "mongbats".

L

Lady Malynn

Remember npc beggars? They followed you everywhere until you gave them gold. I was so poor, I didn't have the gold to spare!

C

Costanza

Remember when...

You could only be a GM mage for 5 minutes, because then attrition took your skill away?

The only way you could get a chaos shield, was by teleporting into Blackthorn's castle, bringing some crates and dropping them, then casting blade spirits on the guards beneath you, and conveniently couldn't reach you.

Guards could be outrun.

Guards could be poisoned by giant serpents/scorpions/giant spiders brought by the Summon Creature Spell?

When you could carry up to 3000 stones worth of ore?

When you could recall to the roof of the Britain Conservatory and smelt those 3000 stones worth of ore at the forge three quarters of the screen away?

When panthers were aggressive and had a habit of attacking you, the newbie, if you were less than full health?

When an economy based on supply and demand meant that reagants were either sold out, or sold at 30 per? *smirks at the new econ changes excluding reagants*

When the best mage shops in the game were Wind and Ocollo?

When tracking was a useful skill?

When you would hear an air elemental a screen and a half away.. immediately start running back to town, and once you got there, get hit by the twenty fireballs that were following you?

When you could only GM weapon skills by sparring?

When sparring made you a Dread Lord?

When, if you lost too much Karma, you went from Dread Lord to Glorious Lord?

When you had to bring along a sewing kit because you couldn't cut hides into leather strips?

When tracking was a useful skill?

When GM Blacksmiths couldn't make exceptional plate tunics?

When you had to cover or dye your reagant bag and cover it with clothes, hides, and chessboards to hide them from snooping thieves?

When wisps healed players and did other unusual things (besides create lag)?

When monsters almost never spawned except in LARGE clumps?

When ghosts could be resurrected inside your house by wandering healers? (eep)

When pets, such as dragons, could guard objects?

When dread spiders were controlled by seers, and slowed you down to a crawl from all the AI/lag/etc?

When you could cast spells from the roof of a mage tower on the other players down below?

When you could mine through the walls of your house?

When 100% Resisting Spells made you immune to magic?

When paralyze spells held you in place for minutes?

When fire field dealt serious damage?

When you could cast Wall of Stone fast enough to surround someone inside of a town for a minute?

When the first account was auctioned on ebay? (If memory serves, it was for 700 dolalrs)

When a Counselor tried to sell his account on ebay?

Imanewbie?
The GM jail?
Green Acres?
That it's 4am and I need to go to bed?

/php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

J

Just Because

My most fond memories were of the ability to hold a two-way conversation with NPCs. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/laugh.gif

B

Bethusda

One bandaid at a time baby!

*snip, snip, snip*

. . . and they were heavy too!

Use to play roulette with the moongates because of the moonphases - eventually you would hit the town you wanted to go to.

Air elementals, dire wolves, snakes, and shades used to plague the East Brit woods. Damn little snakes used to chase me all the way over to West Brit.

Nujelm was a veritable spider's web for player ghosts. No moongate, no healers, no reg shop, and rarely any players. If you died there, you were screwed.

Weee! Monsters could follow you into your gate!

L

Le'a

<blockquote><hr>

You could only be a GM mage for 5 minutes, because then attrition took your skill away?

<hr></blockquote>
Haha, I remember that... I also vaguely remember gaining "Camping" skill when another player made a camp fire. When I saw one go down, I would take off running before the camp was set.

A

Aboo

Boy has this post brought back 6+ year old memories.

Remember when there were no bank boxes?

I

Inspiration

When backroofs were actually full of people (esspecially Trinsic)
When you used to be able to get a friend and kill them repeatedly in a house to raise noto
When Anti PK hunts started on bank roofs with the dropping of a dye tub and jumping into a gate
When dungeons were actually scary places to be
When you wouldn't leave guards prot in Britain at the cross roads for fear of being PK'ed
When you could work in a hide shop for 3 days and buy a house at the end of it from tailoring
When people used to actually hunt together with standard armour and weapons

*Sigh* It is depressing. I miss my old UO friends too.

G

I remember alot of this.... though not the tutorial, came in long after I joined.

I remember thinking how cool I was for taming a wolf... then not knowing how to control the damned thing while a chicken handed my arse to me.

I remember killing my first mongbat and being really happy about it, only a PK to take me down and loot the pathetic amount of gold I got from it.

I remember walking through a housed area and hearing a hundred fizzling mages macroing Magery.

U

uo addict

NPCs would pick up stuff people dropped on the ground, saying "this could be useful".

There were monsters in Moonglow Zoo

The big sellers at Brit Bank were recalls and potions.

The rich players were tailors and fishermen

You could find houses In Danger of Collapsing

G

(Apologies for any repeats)

- People actually used training dummies and it was difficult to find one that wasn't being used

- Spirit Speak could be heard constantly in any habited area

- There was no UOA

- There was no scripting beyond weighing down a key

- "Tent cities"

- The option to ressurrect on the spot at the cost of skill points (generally not used, but useful if you wanted to rework a character before skill management)

- Having to remember a secondary password for each character if you wanted to play or delete the character

- There was no broadband (except for ISDN... if you can call that broadband)

- Eagles would attack bears on their own

- Magic rings were excessively rare

- The eternal debate over the purpose of Recall (Travel vs Escape)

- No monsters to be found over the main land except those found trapped in houses

- No lockdowns or secures... unless you were lucky/priveleged enough to be blessed by a GM (and the ensuing battles of "favoritism")

- Spending hours raising noto one point at a time only to lose it all in a single misclick

G

when smiths couldn't smelt the items they made, and it took a very long time to get a gm smith.

playing the game for 6 months and finally able to afford a house... and there was still room to place it without much time spent looking for a spot.

O

Orion24_LS

seing someone in full plate and being amazed...

seing a nightmare, or someone riding one and thinking "wow"

going to the vesper bank and seing 20 people there, greys coming in to get someone to attack them, chasing thieves around the bank, someone running in yelling "reds outside bridge!!" and everyone would drop what they were doing, put conversations on hold, gear up and go out and fight the reds.

trying to sneak out of town avoiding the gangs of reds

thats all i can think of for now, but there's more /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

O

Orion24_LS

server wars.....man i miss those

remember the old notoriety system? the great lords vs the dread lords.

I remember acidently attacking a friend while fighting a monster, and i lost notoriety and was perma grey until i got it back up.

H

Honey

"....buying a rune to the lich room (or worse) and labeling it "my house" and carrying an old house key with it in your pack so you could possibly get some kind of revenge when pk'd... "

hehe

I always did that! Just exchange AW for liches, and 'home sweet home' for 'my house'.

At least I'd be smiling while running to the healers.

G

Food never mattered beyond stamina gains...its the most persistant myth of the game.

I

imported_Ghost_Knight

Being red because you attacked...not killed...5 people and everybody and everything was blue to you including the monsters. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

V

Viceroy's Smithy

I remember the times before the bogs engulfed the city of Yew. I remember when Yew wasn't like a trailer park but instead was considered good hunting grounds for game. I remember the PKers in which lurked in the woods of Yew hiding and jumping out to kill the people hunting animals. I remember when selling reagents and goods out in Yew was a good and profitable business due to the fact that Yew wasn't really a town of good commerce.

I remember when being a Great Lord was actually meaningful.

I remember when there used to be a bank where the counselor's hall is at now in the northern part of Britain near the inn.

I remember when only people who were in Chaos and Order could wear the respective shields in which bear the chaos and order insignia on it. Now they are craftable instead of simply given out by guards.

I remember when reds used to camp dungeon entrances and town borders and only way to get in and out of such places was to get a group of people to go with you to clear out the reds camping the area.

I remember when I used to have a small house on the Yew Guard tower in between Yew and Britain and running a vendor from it in which sold reagents.

I remember the old notoriety system and what fun it was.

I remember the days when new players would ask how you dye your armor LOL

I remember the day when the way to get colored armor was to buy them from NPC's since colored ore did not exist.

I remember when a full plate suit of valorite went for 100k or more.

I remember when being a smith would make you filthy rich from crafting wares for players.

G

i remember when you could give an NPC a gold coin and you got some fame.
some people trapped one in their house and macroed feeding them one coin at a time for hours to get their title.

remember the old title system with the red dread lords?

i remember being able to cast any spell in town. you could get a group practicing magery casting elementals, and people fighting them for skill.
that was a fun time.

W

Wicked_Seraphim

<blockquote><hr>

Remember killing your very first mongbat or great hart and feeling a huge sense of accomplishment?

<hr></blockquote>

Heck, I remember seeing the name "a great hart" and freaking out thinking it was some kind of uber monster...like the Ettin I'd just run from! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/laugh.gif

C

Chinalilly

LOL

I remember when I was new I was working my skills on animals near the fence in Moonglow...within guard territory /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif. My ex told me to stay away from snakes! LOL Well, it was months before I ever stuck around on the same screen as one! I saw "snake" and I took off like a bat out of ....well you know where. hehe

I was also afraid to leave town for fear of running into monsters. I had had a terrible experience in the newbie tutorial and then in Haven right after that. I was killed by something in Haven..I think a headless one. I had gotten lost and wandered away from town and didn't know my way back. I didn't want to experience that again, so as soon as I saw "you have now left the protection of the guards", I ran back. It was about 4 months before I left guard protection unless my b/f was with me, LOL

I also remember having something like 60's fencing or so. I wasn't gaining anything but the odd healing and anatomy from Great Harts anyway. I saw a "Mongbat", and I was afraid to go near it. I was pestering a friend in ICQ about how mean they were and if I could kill it without dying. I debated for about 1/2 an hour before I ran up and whacked it and ran off. I went back to look to see if I hit it, and found it laying there dead! LOL

I also remember that I was afraid to hit anything, and used to close my eyes. I ended up a ghost more times than I can count because that hind or great hart killed me because I wasn't watching my health bar.

I also remember getting into a near knock down drag out with my ex about "invisible things", that hung me up in game. He kept insisting it was twigs, but it wasn't. I kept telling him that I would bang into things that weren't there, and then suddenly there was "stuff" in the middle of no where. I always wondered how he knew where to go and buy things. All I saw were "People" and "Doors". Turns out I had a bad graphic file installed and a reinstall cleared it up. But man, talk about frustration, especially around Yew back when there was overland spawn there. Imagine trying to run from an Orc Lord and banging into invisible walls of all the houses around the area, LOL Can you say OooOoOOo? hehe

*sighs* To be a newbie again. I haven't enjoyed the game so much as I did back then. A shame we have to get "old" in game and learn things. It would be great to be so unknowing as that in game again. And here I sit now.... moving things from house to bank box, contemplating closing up my accounts at the end of the month /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and mentioned that, and his quote was "Bah! You left the game 2 years ago" and he's right, I did. I haven't had any real "joyous fun" in game in at least that amount of time /php-bin/shared/images/icons/frown.gif

W

Wicked_Seraphim

Nooo! Don't leave!! Do what I did, take a nice hiatus from UO /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

Know what we can do to put some fun back into our UO lives? We can go to Siege and make some newbs together and join NEW!!

I haven't really played for about 6 months because I was on dial-up...last night I got cable back (woo hoo!) and tested myself out. I ran through the crowd at WBB like a hot knife through butter.

I'd also quit for a bit because I was plain bored. I'm still bored, but I don't wanna hang up my female leather armor yet.

C'mon China! We can find something to peak our interests again! /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

C

Chinalilly

<blockquote><hr>

Do what I did, take a nice hiatus from UO

<hr></blockquote>

I have been taking hiatus' from game.

I took 4 or 5 months off end of 2000 to early 2001

I bearly played last year at all after publish 16 hit. I think I logged 20 hours of play from publish 16 to end of December and that was to GM Poisoning.

A friend convinced me to move to Atlantic. I started there Christmas last year. Since July I think I've been out hunting, maybe 10 times, and not at all for almost 2 months now.

I tried SP, have 2 characters there actually. With the 6th anniversay gifts, I took that opportunity clean out their bank boxes and give everything away to strangers there. I'm not into PvP'er, and SP is not up my alley.

I haven't done anything in game for weeks and weeks and weeks, and don't really know that many people on Atlantic to do anything with either.

The game has outgrown me. I still play the game as it was pre Publish 16. I have had no choice but to adapt using items for resistance, but as for everything else, I play the game as I knew it, not as it is today. And each publish, patch, makes that narrow window of game play that I have, even smaller, if that makes any sense at all. So all that is weighing heavily on my decision to leave the game. But on the other hand.. I do have some wonderful memories (see above), and have made some good friends (which I mainly talk to in ICQ and never play the game with).... that it's hard to leave, if that makes any sense at all.

A

acipk

As a UO:R newbie:
1. Very cautious in trammel Britain because the book mentioned murderers and thieves
2. Venturing Britain Sewers armed with a torch and a newbie katana
3. Learning about bandages, and having to cut them one by one
4. Running in terror from a gazer
5. Being hunted for the first time by a red
6. Lively faction wars in the cities
7. Giving someone you never met all your armor in a bag so he can repair it

W

Wicked_Seraphim

I hear you, and better yet, I understand you.

*sighs* I do miss the old UO too...and I know exactly where you're coming from. I think the biggest highlight for me in UO was decorating my house for the holidays....besides that.. I'm at a loss.

I log in a couple times a week, then back out. I don't want to spend all my time in game looking for armor parts or boosting jewlery or power scrolls....I just wanna have fun!

*hugs* You just hang in there as long as you can, and I'll do the same. /php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif

G

When you could kill a red, dismember his body and turn the head in for a reward, or just put it on your porch as a reminder to your enemies. Kinda wishing I had those heads now.

G

not sure if this is here yet .. Remember when the Moonglow Zoo was a real zoo?

T

Trinity_X

The urge to respond has taken hold. Not sure if the ones i've listed has been mentioned, and im sure they probably have. I didn't read all the way through before my urge took hold :p

-The best way to get regs was on 'glow
-Cutting bandages one at a time?
-Reading moongates ("You see a road to the west and a town to the north" That was moonglow i beleive, or something similar)
-Houses cost less then 100k
-Blade spirits being able to poison.
-Blade spirits and EV's weren't almost usless
-If you cast a BS or EV you had to high tail it to safty just so it would attack the monster instead of you... and make sure when the moster died you was far enough away so it didn't re-target you.
-Summoning 100's of deamons (Mmm, resist)
-Ranger armor (i remember i had a full set from making chars, and selling each peice for 20k to start out with... advice of a friend... now the newbie prize ticket stuff isn't all that great)
-Going red to Seekers (yup, went red killing them in skara... once i turned blue again, i learned to kill em till a certain amount, then hitting up the brigand camp between brit and yew to get my karma/fame back up.. and it was a good way to get money... and the occasional good weapon)
-Vanqs!
-Seer ran events (Ahh the memories of Edinburg on cats)
-Ostards we cool, because you could ONLY ride them in t2a
-Selling horses was profitable
-The rumors that wisps supposedly knew where "hidden treasure" was? (At least i remember hearing once that if they flew over a spot, and made thier lil wisp noise, there was "supposedly" treasure there, just needed to "find" it)
-Some monsters responding to certain words like UO, British ect (I think wisps was one of em... and orcs?)
-Being able to actually loot a player if they didn't make it back to thier body in time.
-This is in responce to that damn tutoral. I remember i had to kill a mongbat, well, there was no mongbat. There was a pile of trash on the floor, and for the longest time, i thought THAT might of been the mongbat lol. I somehow was able to find my way out, without killing it.
-Nightmares spawned all over t2a, and not just in one certain spot.
-Pure nightmares were "rare"

Ok this is getting long... and a bit sad... lol... so thats all ima list for now.

H

Hawke

...Santas spawned on Christmas and were slaughtered for their boots and gloves?...or were they just stolen? I never got them, but it would be a nice Christmas present to get some now...*hint hint wink wink nudge nudge*

/php-bin/shared/images/icons/wink.gif

A

Animal1

Did'nt read through them all, but I remember great lag. It was often hideous, perpetual, debilitating... made the game unplayable during most 'peak' hours. I remember waking early to get online to have a chance to play for an hour with minimal lag and also for the chance to find something to kill without 15 players on it too.

Todays players have no idea of how bad REAL UO lag was....

K

kennykilleduo

It was kind of both annoying and fun being new , hunting for gold , now with insurance its got to be alot harder. Back then you mostly had to worry about a monster looting you or a looter..On LS I remember a looter named Jet that would loot your stuff and sell you your stuff back in fish steaks..

Z

Zarfu

How about when people placed houses in dungeons, or if you were rich enough you could by a tower, and then place a house on top of that?

C

CatHat

When you could kill a red, dismember his body and turn the head in for a reward, or just put it on your porch as a reminder to your enemies. Kinda wishing I had those heads now.

-----------------------------------

Yeah, that and the people jerky was so cool too..

*Drops to knees - shakes fisted paws over my lil head at the Entertainment Software Ratings Board, "Aaargh! From Hell's heart, I stab at thee!"

CatHat

(yeah been eating those blue M&amp;Ms again)

D

Dern_Ironskull

I remember being the first to get into the treasure room in Covetous, where the treasure would spawn in the crates of the lich room ever few seconds. I had the first marked rune for that spot which lead to the first house placed on Cats

Notice the vesper location, and of course the training dummies, which were helpful, because all the other dummies were actually being used. It was nice to have your own at taht time :p

I

imported_Gwyneth

Everything was new. The world was full of mystery and excitement. There was something magic about being a true newbie in those days. *sigh*

M

macuo

<blockquote><hr>

Oh I remember that..always calculating where one would land when going thru the moongates by the phases of the moons ! [image]/php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif[/image] *sometimes it was rather unpleasant to miscalculate* ..like omg every GIANT SERP on Magincia waiting at that gate and I DONT really want to go there lol opps miscalculated, OoOO [image]/php-bin/shared/images/icons/smile.gif[/image]

[/ QUOTE ] lol, I remember the moongates. Even better, going through player gates at random. You're like "I just want to go to my safe place now, let me curl up in the fetal position in the corner or under a tree".

nothing like getting frantic ICQs or phone calls from friends saying "I died in such and such place, and my vanq is on my corpse, YOU HAVE TO COME RIGHT NOW AND GET IT BEFORE SOMEBODY ELSE DOES" or a liche or something else looted it, and you'd have to drop what you are doing and haul butt to get whereever.

What was really hilarious, you show up to help get your friend's stuff back and you would get the item(s), and you get nailed, and then you're both calling other people. I think one time we got like 6 people killed trying to get one a vanq back. Four of us actually had posession of it before dying, lol.

It wasn't a situation where we could all meet up and go do it, because with the corpse going to bones and disappearing in a relatively short amount of time, and if you couldn't recall/gate, you literally had to use whatever you had handy. It wasn't like you could pop over to your house or logoff and grab another character. I used to keep ready bags in my house - bags of some cheap armor and weps and regs, and even if I was on my miner (who actually had GM LJ and Swords and could swing a mean axe), time was of the essence.

We probably lost more weps and armor than if we had all just chipped in and bought them a new vanq (which was a lot back then), but it was fun.

I loved house keys - anytime you took out a PKer and they just happened to be stupid enough to have their key (or somebody else's), things were good. We had some great fights happen between guilds or large groups when a key was lost. One of the anti-PK guilds near my house even had a house setup to trap PKers - they would get a report from other players of somebody out ganking people, and they would send a "victim" with a house key and a rune out to find the PKer, and within a few minutes the PKer (and sometimes their buddies) would pop up, thinking that they had just ganked some newbie who foolishly took their house key out of the bank.

H

hijii

Best thread ever - should be stickied just for good time's sakes.

If any dev wants to know how to bring back players to the game, all they would have to do would be to read this thread. It was the little things about this game that made it fun, the danger and the thrills... Nowadays everything is too easy to kill and theres no danger.

The npcs were great - i remember i shared my friends house (since i didnt have 1-2 mil for a sm marble) and my greatest dream was to own my own home. then one day someone left uo and just gave me their small smithy on fire island, i was exctatic! I decorated it and loved everything about it.

My first night in uo, i met this guy - a mage and i told him i wanted to be a tamer. So we went around t2a taming ozzies and misc things... i started playing at 7pm that night, and the next thing i knew it was 3PM THE NEXT DAY! I think the only thing i ate was some pizza i somehow ordered during my playtime.

There was a real danger to everything - but then everyone complained and they removed it all.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I still pick regs up off the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm...Wilki? This is you, right? You do still pick up Regs off the ground?

If you aren't Wilki...please forgive me...but I seem to remember the name, as a Mod, with the Sig that said:

See that light at the end of the tunnel?

It's a train...

Maybe I am too old for this stuff...
That is heartening!!!

C

Crazy_Pants

I remember I was playing on my friends account on a different server then him and I would do anything for a log cabin. I use to post on forums that I would do any job for money, I'm would get jobs such as marking runes for business and bringing them to banks and when I was done they would give me 15k. I never got the cabin
. It was worth a shot.

G

when folks still had no idea what one could do with some of the crafting skills... like buying a dye tub and a set of dyes and then go around picking up all the death robes and then selling them in what ever color the buyer wanted?

Made alot of gold in the first few weeks of UO being live that way... amazed me folks would spend more for a colored robe that way instead of just buying the tub and dye and doing it themselves....

G

when orc camps would spawn quite often overland. when overland spawn sometimes was nearly a carpet in areas. when a GM Smith was all the rage and tank-mages were to be respected.

M

macuo

<blockquote><hr>

Do you remember entering Britannia for the first time with 100gp, three of each reg, an empty spellbook, candle and a dagger? I didn't pass ANYTHING without picking it up. I figured I could sell it somewhere!

Do you remember tents?

[/ QUOTE ]I think I GMed scrounging
People would throw away stuff and util I started seriously smithing, I'd smelt it down or give it to a smith I knew so they could smelt it down and make stuff for me (they weren't even GM and I still used their equipment

It's weird now that I think about it - you see stuff 10 times more powerful being thrown away at the banks these days.

I loved tents. We could use them to secure our houses if you had enough space around your front door. Very important when it was key based. Plus you would see tents in really odd places.

Although this is much more recent, I had friends who didn't read any of the forums or UO websites. When gargoyle picks were implemented, they didn't know about them.

Right after they came out, I got a few garg picks together and swapped them out with some of my friend's normal picks (he didn't have a tinker and didn't want a tinker, I have no idea why a miner wouldn't want enough tinkerering to make picks/shovels, and so his housemate made him bags of picks). The next day I get a phone call with a lot of swearing, asking me to come get the stuff off his body. This person normally doesn't swear. We all acted like we didn't believe him that some kind of elemental came out of nowhere, and I had the chance to swap out normal picks when I got to his body.

Did almost the same thing with another friend, in this case I was near the friend while he was mining (was helping him haul ore) and right after we got back to his house, I gave him the bag of ore with one garg pick and a couple of extra picks. Several days went by before he noticed him and used them. Almost the same reaction. That night a bunch of us were together and the two of them were talking and mentioned something elementals popping up on top of them.

The rest of us were almost in tears trying to keep a straight face and act like we didn't believe them.

You don't get many chances to pull practical jokes on friends in UO.