• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Commission Vendors Bad For Market

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So for a while now people have been using Commission Vendors which is all good and dandy but they are ruining the market by prices that are obviously jacked up. An item that is usually 30-40M is now over 100M due to these vendors cuz there is not need to adjust pricing to sell anymore. Everything is put on Commission Vendors and jacked up to sit there while other players use VS as a price guide and think that these items are actually worth that much. Any thoughts.

Tarragon Slayer/MZB

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my opinion it's a splendid system! I tell myself that I know quite well what a fair price is for the items I'm offering. (No, I don't let myself be guided by greed.)
So let others offer the same things for way less, I don't mind. Eventually I'll get my items sold for the price I want. I don't mind waiting.

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my opinion it's a splendid system! I tell myself that I know quite well what a fair price is for the items I'm offering. (No, I don't let myself be guided by greed.)
So let others offer the same things for way less, I don't mind. Eventually I'll get my items sold for the price I want. I don't mind waiting.
That is all fine but are you one of the people who always say " Its on VS for 100, so Ill take 95" knowing that the item is only worth 40M? If the answer is yes, then you are part of the problem. The new vendors are not allowing people to get a fair price for anything because prices are jacked up. I understand most people add the commission fee to the price; which is fine, but its already over priced because VS said so. And it can stay that way for years due to not having to pay daily fees. VS in my opinion is the easiest way to scam people and the commission vendors just made it easier to do so.

I apologize if im not explaining it right, I have a hard time explaining things.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sooner or later they will drop the prices, to free up house space lol.

My issue with the vendors is this:

My main vendor is a scribe vendor. Sells scrolls (recall and gate) in stacks of 100. They made this vendor not only count against lockdowns (which I can deal with) but they also made his pack like a lockdown-has a low weight limit. So it looks like I either have to go back to daily fees, or else have a housefull of sparsely loaded scribe vendors.

*shrugs*

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think it's great. I've only been logging in around once a week and I don't have to worry about my vendor going broke. If you need something right away you pay VS price (whatever it is), if you don't you can wait and bargain.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Carlos

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I am enjoying the vendor system as well especially the commissions per an item instead of daily deductions (plays out like state sales tax which where I am at is 6% so 5% is not bad at all for inventory). I believe the shift of values really depends on price comparisons for supply and demand. Balancing the supply with more people hunting for specific items for sale will definitely decrease the price, however the lower amount increases the value depending on the demand. Honestly, I see more items pushed to the vendors now than the daily commission vendors which lowers the value of certain goods. It is understandable for prices to go high on specific items like Legendary Power scrolls, Em Drops, and extremely hard to find artifacts. However, just remember, there are limits placed on the vendors where you can sell an item above 125,000,000 gp. If you do want to sell items cheaper especially for quick sale there is always the trade chat system available where anyone that has it on can see what you have for sale. Tinkering with the vendor system, I like the new feature displaying the auction safe items. If only the vs can include the pets and commodities from the Magincia Bazaar, i'd be set to play a merchant with the different ways to reach the customers in the game.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Maybe I'm a little bit old-fashioned, but I really don't use my commission vendors for high-end items.

Mine are used for
1. Alacrity Scrolls (I ended up with nearly 3 full books from all the T-maps after the changes), none of which I price over 50,000 (and most are 5-20k)
2. Previous years' holiday items, as I'm selling off a lot of my extras, while looking to complete sets. So far, most of it is 10k-50k, though I occasionally toss on tokens that give Manniquins for less than a million (sometimes as low as 500k, depending on the market trends).

I'd rather use an auction safe or General chat to sell items with a value of 10 million or more; hell, I usually wait to hear someone ASKING for said items, rather than speculate with a probably wrong vendor price, and lose commission (flat or daily) with it not selling.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
before new venders came out. I recommended only 2 new venders at most, per house. I do like the new venders but since the new venders came out, I keep getting many things that come up with vender search that has nothing to do with what I typed in and/or I get the "too vague message" even though ive typed in the exact wording. I also noticed there are a lot of normal/average items on them for 175 mil per lol.

Last edited:

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
knowing that the item is only worth 40M?
Just who declares what any item is "worth"? If someone was willing to pay 100 million, or 95 million, then that's too bad for you if you were only willing or able to pay 40 million. Supply and demand works as much in UO as in the real world.

Consider: convenience stores regularly sell items for more than what you'd get at a regular supermarket or Walmart. Does that mean they're ripping people off? Not in the least. They're simply selling for those who want to get something with reduced search costs. It isn't a matter of what you're willing to pay, but what all potential buyers are willing to pay.

There's an old joke about a shop owner who had a single item for sale, a dress displayed in the front window with a sign advertising it at $1 million. Someone asked him why he was trying to sell it for that. He replied, "I only need to sell one."

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well, personally I find the vendors amazing for any server other than maybe Atlantic.

I like to farm artifacts, peerless bosses etc, and previously when I would get a crimson or whatever, it would sit on my vendor for weeks at a time. I always felt bad shipping off all of my stuff to sell on Atlantic, because even though the demand is not high, people on my home server will eventually be looking for these items that are never available when they need them due to the low demand and vendor fees.

Now I can stock up my vendors, and the items sitting there for weeks at a time does not impact me negatively with outrageous daily fees. In my opinion, more people are doing this, more items are available when people need them, and the small server economies will become a little more flourishing.

And... if for example, a commodity deed box eventually sells for 40mill, then I guess it was indeed "worth" that to someone who needed it. If not, it will just sit there forever, and more reasonably priced sellers will always be more appealing to buyers.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
We wanted comission vendors, we asked for them. We finally got them. They work as intended. They have pluses and minuses, like everything else. The jacked up prices are due to supply and demand, as always. Not the vendors. Actually with these vendors goods are now available in low pop shards that were not available before. Overpriced items simply will not sell, and count towards lockdowns as penalty. Same thing with junk items or useless items on them that people do not need. Now you have VS and these vendors are on VS also. That is super nice. Prices will eventually drop, sooner or later. Items being more widely available in larger scale, rather than in bank boxes or locked down in houses would increase trade and move goods, and prices will be mostly self adjusted by the market. It is just impatience and greed that muck up things. Greed to price items too high, and impatience on buyers who cannot wait for price drops, and they always happen when people realise that their stuff is simply not selling.
Answer is : Dont be greedy and dont be impatient.
I think that to make an argument against these vendors, you need to explain the specific mechanic by which you think they damage the game, or movement of goods. So far I have not heard valid arguments or logic behind the thought that they damage the game.

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally, I like the commission vendors. I play on Sonoma and things can sit on a vendor here for quite a while, racking up daily fees, before it finally sells. I never put anything on my daily vendors that was priced higher than around a quarter mil due to the high daily cost eating away any profit should it one day sell. Now that I have a few commission vendors, I am selling my high-priced items that I had been hanging onto for ages.

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like most of you are part of the problem. Selling something that has been 1 price for years is now all of a sudden on vs for 3-4x the price, And with people thinking that the prices on VS are their actual price, it just feeds greed. Just because I put band aids on VS for 1P doesnt mean thats what they are worth but people are treating it like it is and this is where the problem lays.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sounds like most of you are part of the problem. Selling something that has been 1 price for years is now all of a sudden on vs for 3-4x the price, And with people thinking that the prices on VS are their actual price, it just feeds greed. Just because I put band aids on VS for 1P doesnt mean thats what they are worth but people are treating it like it is and this is where the problem lays.
People trying to fight greed or dictate prices are, to put it mildly, naive. What makes you so sure that you know better than the market as to what each item should cost? As numerous others pointed out, prices are dictated by supply and demand, not by the vendors. Yes, I am sure some players plopped their items at prices that are higher than previous averages. They will either not sell at all, or will sell when the cheaper vendors are sold out. Either scenario is fine.
Nobody can just drive up prices by adding a few zeros at the end. For prices to go up, people need to keep buying the items.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That's just it about supply and demand... previously with the other vendors that kept prices reasonable because if it didn't sell it eventually cost too much to keep it hanging out on a vendor so you had to price things reasonably to sell ... Now however with the new vendors they can price things stupid high and not care how long it takes to sell if it ever does... but other fools see the stupid high prices and price theirs to match... causing ever-increasing prices on crap with people thinking that things are "selling" for that price when really they probably aren't actually selling... they are sitting on stupidly overpriced vendors.

I think the new vendors are not good for the economy... which is why I've been opposed to removing the price cap on them... that would just make the problem worse.

I tell people all the time that just because you see something on a vendor for a stupid high price doesn't mean it's actually SELLING for that... it just means some fool thinks that's what they should get for it... see how long it sits there and then tell me it is selling for that... because chances are it isn't.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It counts against storage on the house. If it's ignorantly high priced, pass on it, sooner or later they will need the space and get right on the prices lol

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So for a while now people have been using Commission Vendors which is all good and dandy but they are ruining the market by prices that are obviously jacked up. An item that is usually 30-40M is now over 100M due to these vendors cuz there is not need to adjust pricing to sell anymore. Everything is put on Commission Vendors and jacked up to sit there while other players use VS as a price guide and think that these items are actually worth that much. Any thoughts.
Venders are fine and allow people to sell things that sell slowly and otherwise wouldn’t be for sake due to vendor daily fees. You don’t like the price - don’t buy it. Someone else willing to pay the price? Then that’s what it’s worth.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It counts against storage on the house. If it's ignorantly high priced, pass on it, sooner or later they will need the space and get right on the prices lol
Or, someone who needs it NOW will buy it because all the ones "correctly" priced happened to be swiped at that particular moment. Either way, this is a good thing.
Those who'd like a recent RL example of what happens when you try to force "fair" prices on people can google Maduro and bread prices.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wonder if they will increase the VS value though. Items I am collecting for my art gallery are usually over 175m

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There are a few people using these for greed most definitely... People had (blessed) items made by player names at 10-15m before the change and nobody would even touch them (because the names of the crafters stink.) Those items all were suddenly placed at 100m again, but have since dropped back to 40-75m. Kind of depressing for people who actually search for such things. Yet, in the carnage, I have still managed to snag a few reasonably priced (blessed) items that I like for 20-40m as normal. I actually know which vendors to never shop from again as well. This is definitely causing an economic creep of the prices, and has gotten me buying/vendor searching about 75% less than I was a month or so ago.

But the biggest downside of the new vendors is the scamming. I have seen items only worth 50-100k being advertised as rare and on sell for 100m. I saw a few for 175m.... Beware. It would be nice if we could make a beware post and actually list houses/items to stay away from for this reason, but I don't think that is allowed.

The biggest upside, is that now I can load up vendors on the shard we came from (not Atlantic), and we can help out the economy of local shards.

The last can even possibly put a dent in the gold seller's economic control of the game. But just beware anyone charging ridiculous prices.... 99% of us know when something is overpriced by 5-50m.... and we definitely check where/who's vendor it is. :) :) I do however expect grieving to begin soon, as people load up vendors with 175m items on empty houses.... sadly. I wish there was an option to "block" certain vendors / items that you do not want to view again on VS. That would be a nice new feature.....

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People can be greedy all they want to be. It's not the sellers that set the market price for items it's the buyers. The economy in UO is all screwed up because of the trillions in gold that exist. If players didn't have 50 platinum then they would not pay 175M for an item that used to be 50M. It's a 22 year old game that has never had a really good gold sink. How much gold was duped that wasn't caught and deleted? Who knows?

The majority of players don't have 175M to spend on a single item and they don't.

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem, as I see it, isn't the commission vendors, but the third-party online sites that sell gold. When people had to farm their gold, they were much more careful how they spent it. Now that you can go buy a billion gold in a few minutes....

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The problem, as I see it, isn't the commission vendors, but the third-party online sites that sell gold. When people had to farm their gold, they were much more careful how they spent it. Now that you can go buy a billion gold in a few minutes....
Indeed... and it is those collectors that buy 4-5p at a time that kind of make people give up on the game and quit playing. Not fun trying to collect sets when people advertise all day long on Stratics BUYING: (All the things you want)...... just saying.

They fund the cheaters and script guilds completely. Not them nor the cheaters care at all about the game... and people just simply quit. For that reason I have not been to an idoc in well over 2 years now. I could tell you one person in particular that has 3-4 Luna houses, that I know 4 of his Stratics alts. They are all famous alts and people honestly think they are different people.... sad.

I even know of a moderator that has alts...... just saying. They will even bid against you if the prices for their auctions are too low.

Last edited:

HippoRedux

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish that co-owners could place Com Vendors. I'm in the process of cleaning out one of my Legends houses so that I can build one on ATL solely to place a Com vendor there - and having a crafting center will come in handy for the characters there on TDY until shrine event is over.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wish that co-owners could place Com Vendors. I'm in the process of cleaning out one of my Legends houses so that I can build one on ATL solely to place a Com vendor there - and having a crafting center will come in handy for the characters there on TDY until shrine event is over.
Cannot and should not for both financial and scamming purposes. People abusing the system cannot get accounts banned easily if 20 co-owners are involved. Harder for the GMs to sense fraud/scamming cases that way. This would be analogous to people friending idocers / script miners to houses and running 50 bots out of there, which Mesanna and the team just put out a message about around a month ago. Also, if it is an actual owner, it's easier for us players to know who to not buy from if they are too greedy.

This would also defeat the purposes of the system for the team, commission vendors are more of a way for UO to make some extra money to keep everything going. If Co-owners could place those, then the people playing the pay every 4 month game would rise... and actual subscription accounts would not be paying every month as often. This was intended to be an incentive for those who keep their accounts current, rather than play the 3-4 month thingy, just in my thoughts. Usually there is a reason we can and cannot do certain things such as this, and UO def. needs to keep its currency flow incoming. Sorry for posting so much guys, bored the past few days. :p :p I actually came to this thread to complain about people scamming the system myself, and price inflation... but while rationalizing my own words came up with a few pros as well.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Oh you sweet, sweet, summer children. I have been largely inactive as of late due to my other hobbies. However, I have taken up fencing goods for some who prefer to remain anonymous which has caused me to turn my humble trash can of a house into a wondrous mecca of commerce. For a few weeks, when the soulbinder bottle things were new, I was buying all of them I could find and reselling them at ridiculous prices. It was quite a bit of work to be constantly on vendor search making sure people couldn't sell them to anyone but me for a fair price but I made a decent fortune. Now, was I the bad guy here? The people who were crafting them got to sell them to me for a price that they thought was fair, so to them, I was a hero. For the suckers that made me rich, it is their own fault, had they not been in such a hurry to obtain the bottles, they could have sent me on a trip to the poor house with a bunch of bottles that I really had no use for. So you see, "scamming" is truly in the eye of the beholder. Perhaps the suckers who bought the bottles from me were upset when they saw them for less than half price after I went out of the bottle business, but at the time, I'd be willing to bet they were singing praises to the glorious Stinky Pete for being the only merchant kind enough to stock the wares which they sought so desperately. ;)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh you sweet, sweet, summer children. I have been largely inactive as of late due to my other hobbies. However, I have taken up fencing goods for some who prefer to remain anonymous which has caused me to turn my humble trash can of a house into a wondrous mecca of commerce. For a few weeks, when the soulbinder bottle things were new, I was buying all of them I could find and reselling them at ridiculous prices. It was quite a bit of work to be constantly on vendor search making sure people couldn't sell them to anyone but me for a fair price but I made a decent fortune. Now, was I the bad guy here? The people who were crafting them got to sell them to me for a price that they thought was fair, so to them, I was a hero. For the suckers that made me rich, it is their own fault, had they not been in such a hurry to obtain the bottles, they could have sent me on a trip to the poor house with a bunch of bottles that I really had no use for. So you see, "scamming" is truly in the eye of the beholder. Perhaps the suckers who bought the bottles from me were upset when they saw them for less than half price after I went out of the bottle business, but at the time, I'd be willing to bet they were singing praises to the glorious Stinky Pete for being the only merchant kind enough to stock the wares which they sought so desperately. ;)
Players donated sand. I put bags of 15 bottles on a Steward and passed out Runes that told them to say bottles to get a bag. I restocked him every night when players were getting them filled. Also put some bottles on a vendor at half the lowest price. Players like you hate me when there are events.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Or, they just buy you out daily to prevent anyone from actually buying at your price. Then put on their vendor for a profit.
I play more than they do. They gripe in chat when I call out who needs bottles? Meet at stable for Corgul.
(I titled a book in the vendor. If you want free bottles call Allen in chat.)
Now so many are giving away fragments, there is no market for those.
We did the same with Tasty Treats. I just do it with items needed for the temporary content.

It also drives down the value of rewards since anyone that wants them can go get them in a group.

Everyone who wants a Tabard on LS per toon can get one easily.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Lol. First off @Polaris75, I don't play on shards where people script IDOCs or buy things from "that" website, so get that idea out of your silly little head.

In your effort to try to make all of your problems my fault, you seem to have missed my point completely. In my little anecdote that I chose to share earlier, I attempted to show how the market works. The people who bought the soulbinders from me did not know or care that the price was higher than they could have gotten them, they thought my price was fair and paid it. There was nothing wrong with what I did, I simply saw a market waiting to be exploited and I took advantage. In doing so, I took a risk. Did I know someone would buy the bottles at the price I was selling them? No. Did I force them to pay absurd prices? No, they could have waited and I would have lost the gold that I spent. The truth is that the people who bought from me were most likely thankful that someone on our shard had them for sale when they were interested in buying at a price they could apparently afford. I could have done this on any type of vendor, the type of vendor really doesn't matter.

So now I feel that I must impart some wisdom unto you. Do not let other players control your game, it gives them power over you. If you don't like people selling gold for cash, then don't buy or sell gold for cash. If you feel a vendor's prices are too high, don't buy from them. This is just a game, it is meant to be fun and entertain. There are plenty of good people that still play, myself included. I play an evil character, you may choose not to, that's fine, but to say that players like me are destroying the game is completely unfair and frankly just stupid. You are taking what is meant to be a fun and entertaining video game way too serious. Some of the things you say are quite concerning and perhaps you should close at least some of your 8 accounts. I hope that you can find another way to relax because this is obviously not doing it for you, but don't take that out on the people like me who are still enjoying our time playing.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Players donated sand. I put bags of 15 bottles on a Steward and passed out Runes that told them to say bottles to get a bag. I restocked him every night when players were getting them filled. Also put some bottles on a vendor at half the lowest price. Players like you hate me when there are events.
I hate everyone all the time! Did you forget who you are talking to?

They gripe in chat when I call out who needs bottles? Meet at stable for Corgul.
You should totally come to Siege and do this, you'll have fun, I promise!

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or, they just buy you out daily to prevent anyone from actually buying at your price. Then put on their vendor for a profit.
Thats what i do :)
And yes, i am super mega greedy, i love gold, making gold, spending gold, if i could i would shower in gold in uo also :)
A lot in here claims they aren't greedy, but it's a big fat lie, because if people weren't greedy everyone would roll around in nubi gear, and never leave new haven.
Don't mistake greed and need, they are essentially the same thing.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thats what i do :)
And yes, i am super mega greedy, i love gold, making gold, spending gold, if i could i would shower in gold in uo also :)
A lot in here claims they aren't greedy, but it's a big fat lie, because if people weren't greedy everyone would roll around in nubi gear, and never leave new haven.
Don't mistake greed and need, they are essentially the same thing.
Greedy and cheating/helping cheaters are two different things entirely. I've never trusted anyone who claims openly they help "fence" items for other players. And yes, I used to try to put items on my vendors for new players, like lower level artifacts. I noticed within two weeks that items for 25k and 50k were a stupid idea, as the hopeless money seekers were buying and reselling. That was my first lesson when I came to Atlantic 6 years ago.

I actually used to have a guild on UOHybrid, where our community was thriving. There, there was no greed because there were no rares, just classic UO. I had a guild box with Vanquishing/Exceedingly Accurate items and equal armor of Invulnerability for all my guild to use and take what they wanted. We had about 15 players there on Hybrid before my we left and came to Pacific 10 years ago. I would never even think about letting players join [Gods] guild on Atlantic.... because it would inevitably lead to something negative. I won't say I am not greedy... but I will say I have never cheated the game or the players.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You shouldn't trust me. I have this giant tag above my head that says THIEF ^_^. I don't know how I could make it any more obvious.

I hang out with other folks who are thieves and believe it or not, people don't trust them, so they come to me to sell (aka fence) the things that they steal because I am not actively stealing right now as my other hobbies are taking up a large share of my time.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah get rid of them, we don't want people with out the gold to blow on vendor fees to make any gold selling things on vendors!
Keep the status quo of the elite!! /s

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's bs.... this will only cause new and returning players to NEVER be able to play the game. Prices have shot up 150-200% on everything. Nobody can buy anything now unless you go to IDOCs and have the crap to sell at 200% value to make it up.

Good thinking Devs... the rich get doubly richer (no fees and more gold)... Someone w/ many account begging for that? The new and poor players can no longer even buy a basic artifact they might need. Or dye... or powerscroll... or mount... This will force new players to make the gold selling websites "richer" if they ever hope to have a chance.

It is Only good for IDOCers. Please fix this and remove these @Mesanna @Kyronix @Bleak . No fees was a horrible idea. Economy is getting worse by the day, and can be fixed by simply converting the vendors to normal; let the items go back to the house if those vendors fall (since they are taking up housing space anyway.) I am sure there is a way. Vendors must have fees... you can't even VS anymore without seeing tons of scams and bs. The economy is the worst it has ever been.

Last edited:

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Supply.....demand.....it's really that simple. The commission vendor gives people more options. That's never a bad thing.
What option does it give people? Jack up prices and let items sit there with no consequences?? They have auction safes for high priced items.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I could not afford a vendor without the commission vendors. If I can't have a vendor, I can't sell things
which means I cannot BUY things either. Same with new and returning players who won't have a slush
fund to pay the old style vendors with.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I could not afford a vendor without the commission vendors. If I can't have a vendor, I can't sell things
which means I cannot BUY things either. Same with new and returning players who won't have a slush
fund to pay the old style vendors with.
What are you trying to sell that you cannot afford? That seems illogical. I don't care what anyone says... and bear in mind some players have 100 accounts in game, on Stratics, and everywhere. This only helps sellers who have tons to sell. But those people not being able to afford stuff.... sounds illogical. Price it cheaper than other players... it sells super fast. I have had vendors for 8 years running. My vendors all sell out in 10 days, no matter if it was cheap items or expensive... because I price the cheapest.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
I don't care what anyone says
Ok well then you are right then I guess and all the shards besides Atlantic where you now actually have more items to buy at reasonable prices are all wrong.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Anything that might make me some gold of course. I always check vendor search and price my items the lowest. They
can still sit there for awhile. It helps the little guys like me tremendously.

If you get rid of Commission Vendors it will make it so only the rich once again are selling items.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok well then you are right then I guess and all the shards besides Atlantic where you now actually have more items to buy at reasonable prices are all wrong.
This is true... we just stocked up items on another shard for some friends b/c their vendor search was empty. The vendor search was still empty, so it seems to have not helped as much as some may think however.

Anything that might make me some gold of course. I always check vendor search and price my items the lowest. They
can still sit there for awhile. It helps the little guys like me tremendously.

If you get rid of Commission Vendors it will make it so only the rich once again are selling items.
You claimed that you need to have commission vendors to afford selling items so that you can buy. Yet now, the only shard where one can buy stuff (ie.. Atlantic), all of the items are at 150-200% value. That is why I was stating that your claim was an illogical one. If your vendor fees are 50-100% of the value of the items you are selling... or if you have that expensive of things to sell (and do not want to use auction safes), none of that adds up in my mind. This helps the players with tons of items to control the economy only.

For the vast majority of people doing IDOCs (the 2 crews with 20-30 people actively IDOCing right now)... aka.... the website sellers and their friends.... This has helped tremendously. For them and only them this change helps. For the buyers and collectors, this change was horrible. If we want to pick up the activity on our own shards, we should try xferring some auction safes there and actually playing on the tiny shards. My home shard has 5 items for sell on auction safes.... 5. They had 9 rubble for sell... we just transferred 75 rubble over there.

This only helps the IDOCers and gold sellers. Any new and returning player will have to buy a massive amount of gold from the website to ever hope to decorate or play the game competitively with others. That alone is call for concern. That's not to mention the massive amount of... say the Thank you Catskills! Mesanna (purple cat) for sell for 175m right now on Atlantic.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Because a new or returning player needs a purple cat deco?? No they need things like armor/weapons, spellbooks, consumables,
crafting supplies, etc. The Commission Vendors are a godsend to adventurers/crafters/gatherers who sell such goods.

To afford more advanced gear casual players will have an easier time saving up for such items utilizing the Commission Vendors.
Example, I loot a nice pvm ring. There are several for sale, mine can sit there for awhile eating up fees until someone wants
that ring with the particular mods. So before the commission vendors items that are good but not something I can use, would just
sit collecting dust in chests at my modest house.

It sounds like you are mad that this change jacked the price up for rares. I am an adventurer not a professional vendor who would
one day like to maybe be able to afford a single cameo for my warrior. One way to do that is to be able to put some things on a
vendor that may take a while to sell without it eating up daily fees.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Polaris75 - I'm having a hard time trying to understand what your point is because you are arguing both sides of the coin.

If you were a newer player arguing that you can't afford to buy anything b/c prices are so over-inflated so it's hard for you to get a start okay I can perhaps see your perspective. That said, you aren't a new player. You have had a vendor that sells out of everything in 10 days because you have been playing 8+ years so what's your issue with commission vendors charging more when that inherently ALSO increases your profit margin on similar items AND if you aren't using a commission vendor then you are making that much more? That's where you lose me.

The UO Economy has been suffering inflation issues for the past 10-15 years which I understand and yea it sucks but on the flip side of that it means you should also be making more for your standard service as well. At the end of the day it's simple economics of supply & demand. You say commission vendors have increase prices 100-200% which might be true for a handful of items but you can't apply that to the entire economy because there are things in the game (on vendors) that are cheaper now than before like Small Soul Forges (used to be 100M now about 80-85M) bc they are just more plentiful. There is more of a supply than a demand so the price comes down.

You can easily charge more money to make a higher amount (and thus be able to buy other items that are also higher) and the commission vendors really would have no impact on you. What it really sounds like to me (just a guess) is that the commission vendors messed up your ability to take some cheaper things you find on other shards and bring them to ATL to resell at a higher rate (or even within in ATL). If that's the case just enjoy your ride while it lasted... find a new gig to make money like everyone else.

Fortis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Seriously polaris you are wrong on almost all of what you have said...you should know uo economic before posting such false things

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
New players that come are supposed to have all the most expensive stuff immediately?

Seems like they would be bored quick and leave quick. This game has lasted so long
because it has so many things to do for any level of character! And it takes a long
time to do it all. I still have not done alot of it yet, and likely ever as things change often enough.

Getting rid of IDOCs, scripters, and gold/item websites is what needs to be dealt with, not the casual player.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Is this really about the commission vendor? I think the overall economy sucks on UO, it can be very volatile. Some people have unlimited gold, some people have 40 houses filled with IDOC loot. This is UO now. Just play to have fun, and just fyi you could probably make few hundred mil a week now just off working VS. Just an example 2-3 months ago someone had a slither on atl for 15m instead of 150. 135m banked tyvm.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk