• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Commission Vendors Bad For Market

Fortis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Polaris are you leaving uo? I can buy your stuff cheap and reselling it high please... i promise i will use normal commission vendor fee.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Imagine a world where people play a video game without worrying about how profitable it is.

It seems to me that you are jealous of the cheaters and gold sellers. You should do what I did a few years ago: Take all of your stuff and throw it in a trash barrel, then delete all of your characters and start a new one on Siege Perilous. Problem solved. No more gold sellers. No more IDOC scripters. Abandon thy possessions and set thyself free! Just don't come anywhere near me though... Because I think you are freaking nuts.
Jealous not... those guys sell everything, I'm guessing I have more. I am angry that it has been allowed to continue for so long. I am angry that "players" buy gold to outbid everyone. But really, I'm just wanting to put end the IDOC situation once and for all.... I believe after that is solved, we can all play the game freely. Of course there will still be problems, just not the..... IDOCers have 10,000 of every item to sell problem..

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Polaris are you leaving uo? I can buy your stuff cheap and reselling it high please... i promise i will use normal commission vendor fee.
I have never had any idea why anyone would quit, if you can't pay $10 a month it's on you. If I ever did I would never sell my items like all of you seem to though. Only you guys care about making gold and will "sell all......." That's a funny assertion though, thanks for revealing your true self. :) :)

Fortis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
With uo mils i can buy game time code ...why should i stop doing cash in uo...i like playing the game and it rewards me by having no fee to play it....yeah i made platinum by buying stuff from people who want fast cash by selling cheap in general chat or vendor search and selling it in the same week for market price. Do your money the way you want this is a sandbox you have trouble understanding it

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With uo mils i can buy game time code ...why should i stop doing cash in uo...i like playing the game and it rewards me by having no fee to play it....yeah i made platinum by buying stuff from people who want fast cash by selling cheap in general chat or vendor search and selling it in the same week for market price. Do your money the way you want this is a sandbox you have trouble understanding it
That's against ToS. I have no trouble understanding that people cheat and buy what they want..... that's just what I am trying to fight against. Have a good day. :) :)

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I don't believe you can buy UO game time codes "legally" with gold. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty pretty sure I'm not.

Fortis

Sage
Stratics Veteran
trading with someone it s not cheating...if someone buy a code from the store and exchange it to me nothing is wrong. But yes read newspaper from the devs...they dont guarantee any buying code you purchase from other person or place... they can remove it if they are illegall ( steal credit card, hacked site, ect. )

THIRD PARTY RESELLERS
We would also like to reiterate that the Origin store is the only guaranteed provider of codes for Ultima Online. The validity of a code purchased from a third-party seller (be it a friend, in-game acquaintance, or recommended site) cannot be guaranteed. Furthermore, any codes we find to have be fraudulently obtained will be disabled and an account that applies any of these codes will have that code removed from said account. This can result in the loss of game time, character slots, expansion access, Sovereigns (and the items purchased with them), in-game items and more. Please be advised that we cannot assist with any issues stemming from codes purchased via non-Origin means; you will be required to contact the vendor from which you purchased the code for further assistance.

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IDOC's are not the problem. its the commission vendors. Now that you can price anything at what u want with no daily fees, Items are so overpriced that buying gold from these sites is cheaper. When you can buy 1P for $80-100, who cares if u spend say 200M for an Elemental Cameo. And once people see it priced for something on VS that is what they ask for -5-10m. How many times have people went to buy something through Chat and they say 'Let me check VS". Its just a big scam. They will put something at a jacked up price on VS and advertise the same item in Chat, knowing that they have one on vs. Usually they will ask for a higher price and tell you to buy it off VS then, knowing its there item anyways that your going to buy.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IDOC's are not the problem. its the commission vendors. Now that you can price anything at what u want with no daily fees, Items are so overpriced that buying gold from these sites is cheaper. When you can buy 1P for $80-100, who cares if u spend say 200M for an Elemental Cameo. And once people see it priced for something on VS that is what they ask for -5-10m. How many times have people went to buy something through Chat and they say 'Let me check VS". Its just a big scam. They will put something at a jacked up price on VS and advertise the same item in Chat, knowing that they have one on vs. Usually they will ask for a higher price and tell you to buy it off VS then, knowing its there item anyways that your going to buy.
again every other MMO out there with some kind of market takes a percentage of sale price from the seller rather than charging each day the item is listed

commission vendors are not the reason prices in this game are garbage

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

You are making up a problem that doesn't exist. Commission vendors or not - I could put that thing up for 200m on a regular vendor, spam chat for 190m and sell one then take the other off the regular vendor. This has existed since day one.

Commission vendors are a god send on small shards where stuff rarely sells and you couldn't ever afford to list it for sale as vendor fees at any price would eat it up as it sat. Now you can actually find some things on vendors on small pop shards.

If you don't like the price - don't buy it. Commission vendors are not your problem. Look elsewhere.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
again every other MMO out there with some kind of market takes a percentage of sale price from the seller rather than charging each day the item is listed

commission vendors are not the reason prices in this game are garbage
Every other game out there didn't need the gold sink that Ultima needed though. Again, I can see the goods and bads of this. But people who do not think commission vendors are to blame for a sky rocketing economy the past 6 months have the blinders on.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I could put that thing up for 200m on a regular vendor, spam chat for 190m and sell one then take the other off the regular vendor. This has existed since day one.
I agree 100%.

For those that blame commission vendors for inflated prices, you should add Vendor Search AND Gen Chat to that list reasons for price increases (and well ahead of Commission Vendors).

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree 100%.

For those that blame commission vendors for inflated prices, you should add Vendor Search AND Gen Chat to that list reasons for price increases (and well ahead of Commission Vendors).
But when those were here...... normal vendors had fees, which created competition to lower prices. Everyone tried to undercut. Now it is the same... but someone just threw 10 of something on for 4x the price first and lets it sit..... b/c no fees.

Vendor Search and General Chat were here before commission vendors and prices were tremendously lower. With the advent of commission vendors, and commission vendors Alone.... the price has sky rocketed. Again, I'm not arguing for or against it, as I see the benefit to small shards. I have 50 rubble on my home shard for 4x the cost (because I do not want them to sell.... I don't want VS to be empty.) I can put them for 4x the cost... because I have 0 fees. Anyone who cannot see the price has sky rocketed because of commission vendors has the blinders on, is all I'm saying.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It matters not to me, I'm not buying anything that is priced outside of the normal anyway. I am sure many players feel the same. I do not scroll pets (even though I wish I could) and I do not have to buy more rares.... I have 5 museums full of them already. There will just be less people seeing the need and want to get gold in the future.... less collectors.... less people scrolling pets.... and less of all of it. I hope the gain for the sellers is worth it in the short run.

It is simply supply and demand. This will create less Demand for certain. You notice a ton of players selling all recently right? Mostly on the Japanese side, a few from America. Definitely less demand going around, I hope the 5 or 6 people with tons of gold can buy it all and enjoy their short term run.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I can put them for 4x the cost... because I have 0 fees.
This is the last time I will make the correction because you simply are not getting it. There ARE fees when using commission vendors (5.25% of the sale price to be exact). So if someone charges 4x the price (and it actually sells) they incur a fee of 5.25% of that price. The only thing that doesn't incur fees is selling it via Gen Chat or Stratics.

Also... for someone so against commission vendors, it's odd that you actually have them and put the rubble on them for 4X the price "just so VS isn't empty". :devil:

It is simply supply and demand.
It's funny that today it's simply supply and demand (which sort of debunks your theory) but a week or two ago you were arguing that supply/demand had nothing to do with it. Which is it?

:gee:

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think he meant there is no fee because he put them on at a price he expected no one would be willing to pay so they wouldn't ever sell.
My thoughts exactly, and if anyone actually from Pacific messages me wanting such.... I can transfer anything from Atlantic for free or sell those for normal prices and buy more to bring in. I do not want those to sell.... my point exactly. There was only 7 rubble on VS before I put those 30-40 on there. I said there was good and bad with commission vendors. But as the OP stated... commission vendors have driven pries up like mad.

It's funny that today it's simply supply and demand (which sort of debunks your theory) but a week or two ago you were arguing that supply/demand had nothing to do with it. Which is it?
My point was that there will be far few "new" rares collectors in the future. Hard to get started when it takes like 1-2p for 10 decent rare items, especially when you do not know what to buy and someone is selling a purple Mesanna cat for 175m. (There are some for sell for like 2-5m... would obviously have to be a mistake *coughs* -scam- for someone to buy it.)

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My thoughts exactly, and if anyone actually from Pacific messages me wanting such.... I can transfer anything from Atlantic for free or sell those for normal prices and buy more to bring in. I do not want those to sell.... my point exactly. There was only 7 rubble on VS before I put those 30-40 on there. I said there was good and bad with commission vendors. But as the OP stated... commission vendors have driven pries up like mad.

My point was that there will be far few "new" rares collectors in the future. Hard to get started when it takes like 1-2p for 10 decent rare items, especially when you do not know what to buy and someone is selling a purple Mesanna cat for 175m. (There are some for sell for like 2-5m... would obviously have to be a mistake *coughs* -scam- for someone to buy it.)
I'm sorry man - you need a basic economics course. Someone may desire to spend 'whatever it takes' to get a cat even at 175m. The person selling it is captalizing the fact that at that point on the demand curve there are very few buyers - but there is probably 1 or two. The rest of the demand curve says 'no thanks' and doesn't buy it. They are not DRIVING up the prices but rather pricing it at a level that only a desperate or very rich person would buy it. Capitalism is 'buyer beware'. It not the job of the seller to inform them of others selling it at lower prices etc. Again - very basic supply and demand. If you don't like the prices - DONT BUY IT. You don't need a pink messana cat to play the game. It has no bearing on the ability for you to play the game if someone comes along and thinks - gee - thats a great price.

If you are so angry at the high prices -THEN PRICE YOURS LOWER and they will sell first. Its as simple as that. Any rares colllector will ask around and have general ideas on pricing. You don't think for a second when someone posts 'rares for sale' on here or the forums or gen chat - then a transaction takes place in pm's and dm's that the price is always fair? Sometimes low, sometimes high - there is never perfect pricing in any captialistic model but the vendor system allows MUCH better pricing than before. Before we had Luna vendors charging 5x normal prices becuase their vendors were trafficed and people couldn't find peoples selling for lower prices in the outer reaches. The VS model has allowed everyone to place their items in the market at whatever price they choose. If they want to undercut the other person - so be it. If they want to price higher and are content until theirs is the only left on the market at a mark up - so be it!

The commission vendors were sorely needed and a very good addition to the game. They allow people to put things for sale they might not otherwise put for sale at all because even at a 'fair' price - the demand is so infrequent - they chew up fees.

Please - log out of Atlantic and take a tour of other shards. Log into quiet shards and try to find anything. It makes the game hard to play. I'm doing spawns to get any sort of Animal Lore scroll to further my new tamer and there is literally Zero lore scrolls for sale at any price.

On the other hand I sell tons of junk on Atlantic the worlds swap meet - and I use VS to get rough pricing, undercut by 15% and my stuff sells almost instantly. If you want to supply rubble at 100m per - that is your choice. You said yourself you don''t really want to sell it so you are on the far side of the supply/demand curve - only willing to sell if the price gets outrageous. If no one is selling for any cheaper - then guess what - YOU ARE THE LOWEST price option. If someone buys your rubble - THAT is the current equilibrium price - until a lower cost seller enters the market. Basic Economics 101. Any entry level textbook can explain this to you.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm sorry man - you need a basic economics course. Someone may desire to spend 'whatever it takes' to get a cat even at 175m. The person selling it is captalizing the fact that at that point on the demand curve there are very few buyers - but there is probably 1 or two. The rest of the demand curve says 'no thanks' and doesn't buy it. They are not DRIVING up the prices but rather pricing it at a level that only a desperate or very rich person would buy it. Capitalism is 'buyer beware'. It not the job of the seller to inform them of others selling it at lower prices etc. Again - very basic supply and demand. If you don't like the prices - DONT BUY IT. You don't need a pink messana cat to play the game. It has no bearing on the ability for you to play the game if someone comes along and thinks - gee - thats a great price.

If you are so angry at the high prices -THEN PRICE YOURS LOWER and they will sell first. Its as simple as that. Any rares colllector will ask around and have general ideas on pricing. You don't think for a second when someone posts 'rares for sale' on here or the forums or gen chat - then a transaction takes place in pm's and dm's that the price is always fair? Sometimes low, sometimes high - there is never perfect pricing in any captialistic model but the vendor system allows MUCH better pricing than before. Before we had Luna vendors charging 5x normal prices becuase their vendors were trafficed and people couldn't find peoples selling for lower prices in the outer reaches. The VS model has allowed everyone to place their items in the market at whatever price they choose. If they want to undercut the other person - so be it. If they want to price higher and are content until theirs is the only left on the market at a mark up - so be it!

The commission vendors were sorely needed and a very good addition to the game. They allow people to put things for sale they might not otherwise put for sale at all because even at a 'fair' price - the demand is so infrequent - they chew up fees.

Please - log out of Atlantic and take a tour of other shards. Log into quiet shards and try to find anything. It makes the game hard to play. I'm doing spawns to get any sort of Animal Lore scroll to further my new tamer and there is literally Zero lore scrolls for sale at any price.

On the other hand I sell tons of junk on Atlantic the worlds swap meet - and I use VS to get rough pricing, undercut by 15% and my stuff sells almost instantly. If you want to supply rubble at 100m per - that is your choice. You said yourself you don''t really want to sell it so you are on the far side of the supply/demand curve - only willing to sell if the price gets outrageous. If no one is selling for any cheaper - then guess what - YOU ARE THE LOWEST price option. If someone buys your rubble - THAT is the current equilibrium price - until a lower cost seller enters the market. Basic Economics 101. Any entry level textbook can explain this to you.
There are thousands of purple Mesanna cats, do you know which one I am talking about? It was a clicky:

These sell for 500k to 3m tops. Someone pricing one at 175m is a scam.........

I'm sorry I didn't read anything you said after your first two sentences. I have degrees in mathematics and chemistry.... I know how economics work.

But yet again... anyone who cannot see that prices have went up on everything after commission vendors came out has the blinders on. People see what they want to see, and hear what they want to hear. (There are a few people that are still selling things at reasonable prices, and those items actually sell. That is the so called economics you speak of. But there are about 50 scams I could show you right now with items priced 5x to 2000x what the items are worth, thanks to commission vendors not having daily fees. I could put a black pearl on VS for 175m right now if I wanted on some unknown vendor.... if someone bought it, it would be my fault for scamming them and also my fault if they quit because of that scam.)

So for a while now people have been using Commission Vendors which is all good and dandy but they are ruining the market by prices that are obviously jacked up. An item that is usually 30-40M is now over 100M due to these vendors cuz there is not need to adjust pricing to sell anymore. Everything is put on Commission Vendors and jacked up to sit there while other players use VS as a price guide and think that these items are actually worth that much. Any thoughts.
As the OP said... and people have complained in general chat many times before.... prices of everything are obviously "jacked up." The guy who has the purple cat also has a ton of other scams for sell:
Scamming.jpg
This is just one major example... but I see them all over VS. Shard transfer shield tokens (cannot be used by anyone b/c it is not your account) for 100m for example. All obviously still for sell b/c the vendor fees did not drain the vendor yet.... ie, because of commission vendors.

Last edited:

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have degrees in mathematics and chemistry.... I know how economics work.
No offense sir but you have proven the contrary on several of your post with regards to economics.

I'm sorry I didn't read anything you said after your first two sentences.
I really say this with no ill intent but I think this is the problem; you think you know it all. It's also funny because you posted something a week or two ago in this thread about the UO Mafia with supporting links and when @Stinky Pete countered your post, you got on him for "not reading what you posted" and yet here you are doing the exact same thing; it's a bit hypocritical. I'd urge you to read the whole post that @Theo_GL wrote because it's very accurate.

At the end of the day, you are talking about luxury items that nobody needs to play the game... all of those items in that pic have absolutely zero functional use in day to day play. A new (or old) player doesn't need these items to get better or make their life easier. If YOU or anybody else thinks items are priced too high then feel free to NOT buy them. It's ludicrous to use commission vendors as the scapegoat for inflated prices.

Given that cars are luxury items and using your own logic on the luxury items in UO (non functional items that have zero impact on game play); do you also believe that a Ferrari shouldn't cost so much and that the big bad automakers are manipulating the market because the "true value" of a new Ferrari is less than you think they sell for (even though you are free to go out and buy a used car for $1,000 to get your from point A to point B)?

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No offense sir but you have proven the contrary on several of your post with regards to economics.

I really say this with no ill intent but I think this is the problem; you think you know it all. It's also funny because you posted something a week or two ago in this thread about the UO Mafia with supporting links and when @Stinky Pete countered your post, you got on him for "not reading what you posted" and yet here you are doing the exact same thing; it's a bit hypocritical. I'd urge you to read the whole post that @Theo_GL wrote because it's very accurate.

At the end of the day, you are talking about luxury items that nobody needs to play the game... all of those items in that pic have absolutely zero functional use in day to day play. A new (or old) player doesn't need these items to get better or make their life easier. If YOU or anybody else thinks items are priced too high then feel free to NOT buy them. It's ludicrous to use commission vendors as the scapegoat for inflated prices.

Given that cars are luxury items and using your own logic on the luxury items in UO (non functional items that have zero impact on game play); do you also believe that a Ferrari shouldn't cost so much and that the big bad automakers are manipulating the market because the "true value" of a new Ferrari is less than you think they sell for (even though you are free to go out and buy a used car for $1,000 to get your from point A to point B)?
Items will sell for what they sell for.... that's the economics you both speak of, as I mentioned. Duh..... That's supply and demand, and who is willing to pay what for what. That's all well and fine, and nothing is wrong with that. Nobody is arguing about that. What the OP mentioned however, is that since commission vendors began, the prices have went up. The prices have went up because of commission vendors, anyone who cannot see that is blind.... i'll state that as many times as it takes. I have been scanning VS like no other for 6 years.... those IDOC crews used to ask me what to sell items for, just so you know.

The pros are also in that I can stock my home shard, and everyone can stock the small shards. I stated this also on every post I have posted.... There are good sides to commission vendors.

The bad sides are that prices have indeed inflated since their release. The OP noticed it... people in general chat have asked "what happened???" a few times; many have noticed that. There is no other reason, everything else was in place before and the prices were driven lower so that items would sell faster. Now... the people who do IDOCs and have 20 of each powerscroll can throw them on for +10 or +20m over what they were. Those people do not know the old prices, they just throw it on for what they think it will sell for. This is the supply side of economics. The demand side is that some people will indeed pay for it, because they simply VS and go buy the lowest one... no matter the price. Before the IDOC people were searching for the lowest prices... and pricing it lower. When they had no idea.... they would ask someone like me who "knows it all" as you say. I do know all the prices.... because I both sell (go to IDOCs) and buy (actually play the game and collect; I never got any of the great items from IDOCs, I had to buy all of mine through VS.) Those guys all just sell their items and are just playing the game for money, they do not care about buying anything. Because they do not buy nothing, they typically do not know the prices of anything.... I am assuming, I have no other explanation for why they did not know the prices of items.

Yes you can price items for what you want and hope it sells. Yes, when the cheap ones sell out... people will see yours and buy it possibly. The problem is that because there is one sitting on VS for 70m (a powerscroll for example)... if all of the 42-45m ones sell out and someone uses VS for a price guide... they only see the 70m one and they price theirs at 68m not knowing. It's a cascading effect leading to higher prices. This is all due to someone being able to throw one on for whatever they like, trying to inflate prices of the old market. In the end, if they begin to sell... those players can have the "risk/reward" and buy all of the 40m ones and sell them all for 60-70m. They have gained a ton from commission vendors. Yes a new player may be able to sell one for 59m. Congrats.... the gold sellers are rolling in the dough to fund their "empires." Your local drug dealers do the same thing.... it doesn't mean it's right. New players will detest such prices, I assure you. None of it is healthy for Ultima Online.

The bad sides are also that Scamming is now free to do for all. No consequences other than someone might see your name if you are that dumb.

Last edited:

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And the IDOC crews have 100 trolls too that can come in and post messages. The reason this is not how economics works... is that if you were in the real world, everyone would see your store and laugh. Here in the fake world of UO.... you can have 20 different houses and nobody knows who is jacking the prices up and scamming people really. If they knew.... and people would have fear of their names being ruined, and the fear that their precious Luna houses might lose their shine..... real economics would be at work.

(Wholy this is not true I understand. Some people like the Rothschilds who own a ton of conglomorates and such in the real world have to change the names of their stores to something nobody recognizes... If every store in your city said Rothschilds Banking, Rothschilds Dentistry, Rothschilds Sporting Goods.... Everybody would be like.... "who the heck are these Rothschilds guys, screw them!" Instead they hire front men and CEOs to be the image for them of said stores.)

WOW! your a very important person!!
At least I post on my real name. At least I go to IDOCs on my real name. At least all of the houses I own... are in my real name. I don't have to be a girl character on half my shards. I don't have to be 50 different people to hide who I am.

Last edited:

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You might have degrees in mathematics and chemistry, but you need courses in english and economics.

Putting a high price on something is not a "scam".
Selling a piece of rubble worth 100k for 175m is a Scam.

I made a 97 and 99 in World Literature 1 & 2, respectively.... and a 98, 99, and 99 in Japanese 1, 2, and 3 even. I was my college's best foreign language speaker of the year. Do not forget too how many laboratory reports one has to write for biochemistry.... my English is fine thank you, I would focus on your logic and suggest to you a course in that.

Last edited:

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Rubble pieces are a limited number, so 100k is a very low price somehow people didnt mind selling their one of a kind item so cheap but eventually the amount of sellers/pieces had to end. Then the prices had to rise, since no more sellers and only buyers. What amazes me is that the price stayed so ridicilous low for so long. Real price should have been at least 1 mil from the start and now up to 50 mil for the more rare rubble pieces. 175 mil could be a bit high but not for the pieces that are rare.

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Who has the Blue Book of rubble?? I could be sitting on a fortune!!
I thought the only rubble book that existed was the open book are you sure it is not just a normal book named rubble (1 stone) it was a pretty common scam at one time

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Selling a piece of rubble worth 100k for 175m is a Scam
Take it from someone who has run his own business for twenty years. Overpricing is a part of business. I'll give you an example in real life. You know that quaint bottle of wine you (or some) buy for say $200? Odds are it cost the store about $50. Is it fair they charge a markup of 400%? Yes. Because that's what the market will support. Same here. The item is worth what the market will bare. The problem with UO is the inflation. No real gold sink combined with folks that have insane amounts of gold have created a massive chasm between players wealth.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Take it from someone who has run his own business for twenty years. Overpricing is a part of business. I'll give you an example in real life. You know that quaint bottle of wine you (or some) buy for say $200? Odds are it cost the store about $50. Is it fair they charge a markup of 400%? Yes. Because that's what the market will support. Same here. The item is worth what the market will bare. The problem with UO is the inflation. No real gold sink combined with folks that have insane amounts of gold have created a massive chasm between players wealth.
This ^^

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't mean a rubble tent piece though bro... I was talking about like, a green fern that 100's of are for sell for 100k-500k. There are still 15 of those Mesanna purple cats for sell from 700k to 8m presently. 700k to 8m is the market. 12-15m wouldn't be able to be argued with if someone was trying to drive up prices, which they do with commission vendors. But 175m is a scam for a new player who doesn't know. There is also an EM Vladimire did not survive tunic (like 5 for sell from 4m to 15m) for 175m. There is a skill tutor statue (many for sell from 5m-10m) for 175m. There are 3 Origin Royal Guard sashes (100k-1m, like 50 for sell on VS!) for 175m. He has that whole vendor stocked full of items at 175m each in hopes some new player comes along and purchases some not knowing. That's not what the market is bearing, it has nothing to do with the chasm between the rich and poor, which does in fact exist. It has nothing to do with massive amounts of gold, because no knowing player is going to buy those. It is strictly a scam for unknowing, new, returning players who may come along and mistakenly purchase them after buying their first gold from a website.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Pricing a Royal Guard Sash that sells for 100k for 175m is not a 400% increase as your analogy suggests. It is a 175,000% increase. And there are 3 of those for sell on there. The market isn't bearing a 175,000% increase when there are 50 still for sell for 100k.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't mean a rubble tent piece though bro... I was talking about like, a green fern that 100's of are for sell for 100k-500k
Not my job to police how much someone will spend. A transaction requires two people. Both those people should be somewhat informed about the transaction that is about to occur. Basic knowledge should include an items general value. Not my problem if someone doesn't hold up their end of the deal.

Pricing a Royal Guard Sash that sells for 100k for 175m is not a 400% increase as your analogy suggests. It is a 175,000% increase. And there are 3 of those for sell on there. The market isn't bearing a 175,000% increase when there are 50 still for sell for 100k.
A fool and his money is soon parted. Again as a retailer not my problem.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Everybody has a right to sell their goods at any price they want to and it is up to the consumer to know if it is worth it or not. Simple solution is if YOU think it is overpriced then do not buy it.

@Polaris75 do you go out of your way to tell sellers that they are selling to low or do you buy it and laugh at them, we already know the answer to that don't we.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Won't continue to argue, I have better things to do. I have made my points abundantly clear by now in agreement with the OP.

1) Commission Vendors have led greatly to market inflation because you guys can charge what you want now with no daily fees eating at you.
2) Scams are on the rise, be careful out there! You cannot use account bound shard shields... don't buy them or the tokens for 100m, it's on you if you do. (New players don't read Stratics I know... just the "vets" and gold sellers. So not much help in me saying that here... hope peeps help in game.)

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One thing I've noticed in life is that people who hang onto the grades they made in high school/college and use them as a pulpit to preach from.......are usually removed from reality. It's like wearing a letterman's jacket to a job interview. It's not gonna help you, only hurt you.

There is no scam. There is no fraud. There is no deception. There is no trick. There is no dishonesty. Take a break from dusting your diploma shadowbox and step into the real world.

Polaris75

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One thing I've noticed in life is that people who hang onto the grades they made in high school/college and use them as a pulpit to preach from.......are usually removed from reality. It's like wearing a letterman's jacket to a job interview. It's not gonna help you, only hurt you.

There is no scam. There is no fraud. There is no deception. There is no trick. There is no dishonesty. Take a break from dusting your diploma shadowbox and step into the real world.
And you three keep on scripting in Ultima. :thumbup1::thumbup1: Oh I know... you guys would never have multiple accounts or never "scam, cheat, or do IDOCs...." I'm sorry, I forgot again. 175m is just the new price for some items like a bola, a heritage token... and a new "Perfect Ring for Taming" for 50m now on VS. It has... 13 taming, 13 animal lore, 13 magery, 5 sdi, and 18 lrc.... 5 whole properties!" Enjoy the scamming / IDOCing while it lasts.

Last edited:

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Selling a piece of rubble worth 100k for 175m is a Scam.

I made a 97 and 99 in World Literature 1 & 2, respectively.... and a 98, 99, and 99 in Japanese 1, 2, and 3 even. I was my college's best foreign language speaker of the year. Do not forget too how many laboratory reports one has to write for biochemistry.... my English is fine thank you, I would focus on your logic and suggest to you a course in that.
None of those things qualifies you to discus economics. Go look up Caveat Emptor - one of the basic principles of captialism. If you are going to click the button to buy something for 175m - you should do your own research on the price of that item. If you can get it elsewhere for less - then do it. Its not a scam unless they are putting a description that somehow misleads the buyer into buying something its not. Like 'Black Pearl 175m - RARE Server Birth Black Pearl only one in game'. Now that is a scam. If someone wants to put black pearl up for 175m and someone is so stupid to plunk down 175m without knowing what they are buying - then welcome to captialism. Caveat Emptor.

Commission vendors allow people at the top end of the supply curve to price their items. If they never sell - so what. I might have a 120 mage scroll that I don't really want to sell but if someone is desperate and willing to pay me 150m - I'll sell it for 150m. I can put it up - it can sit there for 3 months and never sell. But one day some leet dude with plats dropping out of his pockets needs a 120 scroll and doesn't care what it costs - will buy it from me. Whos unhappy here? Me? I got more than market value - Leet dude got his scroll in a split second and goes on with life. Before commission vendors he would spam 'Buying 120 mage paying well' for 20 minutes until I met him at the bank and priced it at 150m and he buys it. It is literally no different.

If you think every item has a perfect equalibrium price and always sells for that you live in a fantasy world. Go on ebay and find a commodity and search sold prices (Like look up a specific baseball card) and they will sell at all different prices - why? Because at that point in time someone was willing to pay what someone else was asking or more than the next guy.

Here is another free lesson in economics - if people buy up all the 120 mage scrolls at 20 mil - the next guy will price higher - why? Demand is higher than supply. If it sells for 30 - he prices the next at 40. This goes on until the equalibrium price is reached for supply and demand. If prices get too high (100m for example) someone goes - 'thats crazy' and will go farm 120 mage scrolls cause hey - 100m. As they put more into the market the price falls. If too many people do it - it keeps falling as the supply outstrips demand and the price falls. When it gets to 5 mil - people go 'not worth the effort' and then supply falls and price starts to climb again. This is exactly how economics works with a supply and demand curve.

Rares are also modeled on the curve but they have a very inelastic supply - ie - you can't make anymore so they sell for crazy amounts. It happens in real life. A Picasso might sell for 50m and the next one sells for 175m. Why? Can't make any more and when some guy comes along and 'HAS TO HAVE ONE' they pay 175m. Did he get scammed? No. He was willing to pay it to get one and that 175m encouraged someone else to sell it in exchange for the $$. Again - caveat emptor. The guy paying 175m might not be able to turn around and sell it for that tomorrow but is he unhappy? No. He was willing to pay it to own it.

As someone else pointed out - all your examples were things no one needs to play the game. If someone buys a pink messana cat for 500k and is happy and the next guy buys it for 175m and is happy to own one - whos to say what the value is? To one guy its 500k.. To the next guy its 175m.

Lastly if you are going to just toss 175m at anything without having a very good ideal what is - you are an idiot.

As a side note - one of my majors was in Finance which required a number of economics courses which I aced. I also have a minor in business statistics.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I thought the only rubble book that existed was the open book are you sure it is not just a normal book named rubble (1 stone) it was a pretty common scam at one time
This is a rubble book from the Magencia invasion that I got and have on my nightstand in my bedroom. I think this is what you are referring to.

1583906915598.png

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Take Transfer Tokens for example. Transfer tokens have been 70-85M for years. Now they are around 100M+. Now the supply didnt get any lower, since you can get them several ways and the demand hasnt increased since some people have shard shields, but yet it recieved a price increase. From where? Commission Vendors.

Commission Vendors are whats forcing the higher prices. Supply and Demand response is crap. With the amount of scriptors out there, Supply is everywhere. There is plenty of supply, its the people buying everything up just to increase the prices on them because of no daily fees. And of course the VS Price Guide Junkies just fall in line. As soon as they see it on VS for a price, thats what they ask knowing its not worth that. Then you get into the LOWBALLING / YOU CANT AFFORD lines when you offer what its actually worth and has been worth that amount for years.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Take Transfer Tokens for example. Transfer tokens have been 70-85M for years. Now they are around 100M+
Inflation.

Supply is everywhere. There is plenty of supply,
I disagree. Where is the "plenty of supply" on book rubble that Theo posted since rubble doesn't spawn anymore? How about the 50 SDI spell books? How about the EM Event items that are different every week? Prepatch mares? Bane dragons? Blaze Cu?

offer what its actually worth and has been worth that amount for years.
Actual worth is 100% up to the buyer of any given item. YOU do not determine actual public worth. Just because you don't think that piece of rubble is worth 175M doesn't mean that someone else who has the gold to spend doesn't. If someone buys the rubble for 175M then THAT is what it's worth. Additionally for you to think that prices of things will remain the same "for years" is insane... in what market anywhere does the price of anything remain the same (typically due to inflation)? Do you also write letters to Coca Cola scolding them for "being bad for the market" because that 10 cent bottle of Coke now costs $2.99 and that has ruined the market because it's not worth that? :coco:

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Take Transfer Tokens for example. Transfer tokens have been 70-85M for years. Now they are around 100M+. Now the supply didnt get any lower, since you can get them several ways and the demand hasnt increased since some people have shard shields, but yet it recieved a price increase. From where? Commission Vendors.

Commission Vendors are whats forcing the higher prices. Supply and Demand response is crap. With the amount of scriptors out there, Supply is everywhere. There is plenty of supply, its the people buying everything up just to increase the prices on them because of no daily fees. And of course the VS Price Guide Junkies just fall in line. As soon as they see it on VS for a price, thats what they ask knowing its not worth that. Then you get into the LOWBALLING / YOU CANT AFFORD lines when you offer what its actually worth and has been worth that amount for years.
Cmon man. Transfer tokens are not a good example and actually argue against your case.
Why?
Because they cannot be obtained in game through work. They are only obtained via bring purchased from EA for a price. There were tokens available via a promotion like 10 years ago but they are used up when people transfer. As that supply dried up - the only way to add more supply by using actual money (also don’t forget people using scammed credit cards to purchase and sell which was countered by being required to log in to your EA account to purchase).
Now as the price of gold drops (falling from .10 per mil to .085 a mil) the price of items tied to a dollar amount rise. So a 15% fall in UO Gold to the dollar causes price of these items to rise to compensate. Transfer tokens, mythic tokens etc.

One again very basic economics. Just like the price of your foreign car going up when the dollar weakens.

For 'specialty items' that someone may only purchase rarely I appreciate the commission vendors greatly, as on a normal vendor the time it takes to sell said specialty item can cost more than you make on the sale.