• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Feedback] Combat Game Balance

Mesanna

UO Producer | Dark OverLady
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Game Balance Changes
Focus Skill Spec (PVP)

Increase of spell damage increase cap from *15% to 40%* for templates that focus in only one spell school. Focused players, having no more than 30.0 modified skill points in another main skill set will be able to benefit from the raised cap.Main skills include: Magery, Necromancy, Mysticism, Ninjitsu, Bushido, Animal Taming, Musicianship, Chivary, Spellweaving.
*subject to change based on testing

Poisoning:
A few tweaks to Poison and Poisoning Skill
Poisoning skill now grants a small measure of resistance to being poisoned.
When poison is cured by any means except potions, the target receives a temporary resistance which is similar to, but less effective than the natural resistance granted by the poisoning skill.

Spells:
  • Poison (Magery): Players with greater than GM Poisoning and GM Magery will have a 10% chance to inflict lethal poison at distance of less than 3 tiles. Poison strength now reduces with range instead of dropping to 1 at ranges 3 or greater.
  • Poison Strike (Necromancy) : Necromancers with greater than 60 poisoning skill will have a 3% to 9% chance (Scales with poison skill) to poison their target.

Healing Skill

For healers with 80 skill or greater in healing and anatomy, at half the Heal Duration for self heals, healing will attempt to remove poison and bleed effects. This will reduce the amount healed when the heal is finished its normal duration.
Max Heal Duration Reduced to 8 seconds.
Slip Damage Now Scales based on Dexterity
**Faction Bandages do not require the healing skill and so function using the old healing methods.

Cure Potions:
Success chance for curing poison with cure potions has been adjusted.

Cleansing Winds:
Should no longer heal target after removing mortal wound.

Enchanted Apples:
Cooldown Increased to 45
They now have a chance to fail depending on the level and number of curses applied to the user.
Failure does not invoke the cooldown period.
Petals/Poison Immunity:
Deadly poison and stronger now have a 25% chance to break the poison immunity granted by orange petals.

SPECIAL MOVES:
Lightning Strike
Mana Cost raised from 5 to 10.

Dual Wield
A successful Dual Wield attack will give the player a chance to execute an extra attack at reduced damage for a short duration. Players can execute additional dual wield specials during the initial effect to provide a very slight buff to the duration and an increased chance to execute extra attacks.
Duration of the dual wield effect scales with Ninjitsu skill above 70. Extra attacks are commited at 60% damage of a regular attack and CAN cause additional weapon effects.
Executing additional Dual Wield strikes while already under the dual wield effect will extend the duration by 2 seconds and increase the chance by 15%.
The effect can be stacked up to 2 additional times.
Defensive Mastery:
Defensive mastery will now provide an increase to physical resistance which can exceed the 70% resist cap. The increase scales with Bushido/Ninjitsu and Parry skills.

Block:
On executing a successful block, players will receive a bonus to their defense chance which scales with their Ninjitsu or Bushido skill for a short duration. Players will also receive a temporary penalty to their hit chance and damage. While under the block effect, the next damage the player receives will be severely reduced. (Damage reduction scales with parry skill above 70)
Psychic Attack:
A successful psychic will now afflict the target with a 15% Mana Cost Penalty, and a 15% Spell Damage Penalty. This can be stacked one additional time, but does not offer an increase in duration.

Force Arrow:
This attack now provides a 20% Damage increase. Additionally it will reduce the target’s DCI by 10%. This attack can also be stacked multiple times for a further DCI reduction of 5% per stack and 2 second duration increase.
The Dazed effect, will now provide a GUARANTEED spell interrupt. Even if the target is under the effect of Protection.
Once this effect wears off, it cannot be re-applied for 10 Seconds.

CHIVALRY
The way chivalry and abilities work has been revised so that the effects, and durations now place more emphasis on skill level rather than just karma. In cases where Karma is evaluated, it will provide a modifier to the chivalry skill factor. This means that chivalry will provide a baseline for the power or duration of the effect and karma will either increase or decrease that baseline. In order to achieve the highest possible levels, both skill and karma will be required.

Divine Fury:
Bonus effects and stamina regeneration from divine fury now scale based on chivalry skill and karma. Stamina regeneration from divine fury is no longer a full refreshment, but rather a set amount of stamina.

Cleanse By Fire:
Cure chance for poison has been updated.

Enemy of One
Enemy of one has now been changed to a Spell Toggle. You can remove the effect before the duration expires by recasting the spell. (Recasting while the spell is in effect will cost 0 mana and 0 cast time)
The Damage bonus will now Scale based on Chivalry Skill. Duration Will Scale with Chivalry and Karma
(PvP)
Enemy of One will now work against Players and Pets. The damage increase cap will be significantly reduced and apply ONLY to the player or Pet being attacked. Damage received from all other sources will be increased by 30% while this ability is in effect versus a player or pet. Duration is capped at 8 seconds for PvP.
Remove Curse
The difficulty of successfully removing curses now scales with the level and number of curses in effect in addition to factoring chivalry skill and karma.

Consecrate Weapon
Consecrate Weapon no longer guarantees damage against a target’s weakest resist. Concecrate weapon now provides a scaling chance to do damage against the targets weakest resist type. At 90+ Chivalry, consecrate weapon will also offer a damage increase in addition to optimal damage type.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
It is evident to me that the development team has listened and responded to many of the loudest PvP concerns. I was especially happy to learn about changes to poison/cure. Poison has definitely received a buff. Thank you for listening!

That said, I think chivalry users may feel a nerf. Sampires, archer/tamers, archer/bards, and other heavy chivalry users may be forced to adjust their templates significantly in order to raise their chivalry skill. This concerns me a bit, because these templates are already pretty cramped, but only time and testing will confirm this suspicion.

Mesanna

UO Producer | Dark OverLady
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
These proposed changes are being put up well in advance of Publishing them to all production shards. We do look forward to your opinions and feedback.

Thanks everyone

Mesanna and Logrus

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Thank you both!

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well this sounds like a heck of a good set of stuff's....shocking:) Go poisoning.

Yet I am stuck at the office so I can't test/see it all but I look very forward to hearing about it. Thanks for addressing some of the issues.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow.. there is ALOT here to get my head around.

One thing i'd like to clarify for my own sanity is, so if you are 120 magery, no mystic, necro, etc etc, you can have a 40sdi cap. But if you have say 30+ necro, you will have a cap of 15? Or is that some sort of scaling cap based on amount of skill?

and i'd just like to note... i am absolutely shocked about the apple timer. thinking 45seconds may be a little high, maybe 30..., maybe 25...20... . Will let you know more in real situations.

Myphsar

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So why make it sound like it's about PvP when it sounds more like a PvM nerf?
:(
I do hate it when things get "Balanced" or "Adjusted" in the name of PvP as all it does is mess up PvMers :(
Well i guess ill just have to redo some templates again. Yay :thumbup:

Hera De Saint

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Poison (Magery): Players with greater than GM Poisoning and GM Magery will have a 10% chance to inflict lethal poison at distance of less than 3 tiles. Poison strength now reduces with range instead of dropping to 1 at ranges 3 or greater. <<-- I am a bit confused by this... does this mean now poisoning will go to 120? :eyes:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you have to do like a quest or something to *Focus* like the bard songs? Just wondering cause i hopped on test, only skills i have are magery, eval, and med. and casted on myself with 15sdi, and then with 40sdi, and no change. Does JOAT skill maybe screw this up, as it is a human.

L

longshanks

Slip Damage Now Scales based on Dexterity

i would love to see the scale. made no sense to run 120 healing and slip a bandage while a guy could never fail pot chug on the run.

also regarding the healing of poison. does this mean at 140 dex ur healing posion in 2 seconds instead of 4?

interesting

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Slight mistake in my wording, it should be Greater than or EQUAL to GM Poisoning or Magery. Poisoning won't be going up to 120 for now.

The Focus effect is automatic. Basically once you hit 30 in one of the other skills you no longer receive the effect, but as long as you remain under 30 you are fine.

If your normal heal time is 4 seconds at 140 dex ( and greater than 80 heal/anat), then you have a chance to cure the poison at the 2 second mark. If you succeed your final heal will amount will be reduced in proportion to the poison level that was cured. If you failed then you will make a second cure attempt at 4 seconds.

E

Eyes of Origin

45 secs for an apple? ouch =/ could we maybe move that to 20-25 secs... 45 is a lil long, imo.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Slight mistake in my wording, it should be Greater than or EQUAL to GM Poisoning or Magery. Poisoning won't be going up to 120 for now.

The Focus effect is automatic. Basically once you hit 30 in one of the other skills you no longer receive the effect, but as long as you remain under 30 you are fine.

If your normal heal time is 4 seconds at 140 dex ( and greater than 80 heal/anat), then you have a chance to cure the poison at the 2 second mark. If you succeed your final heal will amount will be reduced in proportion to the poison level that was cured. If you failed then you will make a second cure attempt at 4 seconds.
Hrmm.. what could i be doing wrong.

120 magery
120eval
120 med

45sdi on char, 70 fire resist, and i'm flamestriking for about 30. Same at 15sdi?

Human char

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
chivalry changes are very bad since now we must have high chivalry level to get the same thing we already have and all without increase the total skillcap that actually is at the limit to make a decent warrior :(

L

longshanks

45 secs for an apple? ouch =/ could we maybe move that to 20-25 secs... 45 is a lil long, imo.
see how it plays out. it may well get reduced. i'm encouraged by these changes. im for anything that rewards the investment in skill points vs the load up of packs with apples, pots etc...

u can do it one better. you want to lower timers on pots and petals than make them run gm taste id...

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lol dang just realized, that sampire i hardly ever used is going to need a little tweaking.

E

Eyes of Origin

see how it plays out. it may well get reduced. i'm encouraged by these changes. im for anything that rewards the investment in skill points vs the load up of packs with apples, pots etc...

u can do it one better. you want to lower timers on pots and petals than make them run gm taste id...
I would've liked to see them look at HCI. =/ With 120 archery, 120 tactics, 120
I run healing, anat and carry pots and apples and still most of the time stand no chance against a good mage or necro mage on my archer... the 15 sec timer is enough for them to completely demolish a dexxer already.

with 120 in all skills and 45 or higher HCI, the success chance of hitting someone is stupid.. you miss way too much and its not just archery.. its dexxers period.

So you combine the 45 sec apple timer with all that and its just bad for ppl who play dexxers, unless they are a bush dexxer. They seem to be the only dexxer type that can take a ton of damage and live for any extended time period without running away from a fight.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So do these changes apply for pvp or both pvp and pvm?
they apply to all the game, probably improving pvp but destroying pvm...

here is the way: make a pvp map and lock all this stupid rules inside. Where you can do pvm just let us have the game as it is. Thanks.

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow.. there is ALOT here to get my head around.

One thing i'd like to clarify for my own sanity is, so if you are 120 magery, no mystic, necro, etc etc, you can have a 40sdi cap. But if you have say 30+ necro, you will have a cap of 15? Or is that some sort of scaling cap based on amount of skill?

and i'd just like to note... i am absolutely shocked about the apple timer. thinking 45seconds may be a little high, maybe 30..., maybe 25...20... . Will let you know more in real situations.
100% agree

"Enchanted Apples:
Cooldown Increased to 45
They now have a chance to fail depending on the level and number of curses applied to the user.
Failure does not invoke the cooldown period."

this timer is atleast twice too long.

Delbrie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So where all all the comments and threads from the warriors that say yes please nerf my core set of skill, I like rebuilding my templates and suit everytime the devs have a horrible idea. If pvp wanted change then change their end not ours? Now I will consider if I am going to continue to play this game. Im tired of everything that UO was being slowly taken away.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
100% agree

"Enchanted Apples:
Cooldown Increased to 45
Failure does not invoke the cooldown period."

this timer is atleast twice too long.
God... how you feelin about the poison change. Bet you about pee'd yourself with excitement lol

W

Wojoe

I like the changes...

Im wondering if Infectious strike will be looked at...as it is people can just spam it over and over with a kryss or dagger. That combined with max SSI and HLD make's it very hard to cast Arch Cure. If you remove the ability to cure Infectious Strike with potions mage's will not be viable verse it.

Also will DCI & HLD be looked at?

Thanks

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So where all all the comments and threads from the warriors that say yes please nerf my core set of skill, I like rebuilding my templates and suit everytime the devs have a horrible idea. If pvp wanted change then change their end not ours? Now I will consider if I am going to continue to play this game. Im tired of everything that UO was being slowly taken away.
well I've just speak to other 3 persons and they are thinking about leave instead of rebuild the template again for no reason... maybe the devs plan is to sink the game or to transform it into a quake 3 arena pvp only...

Jimmy Pop

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Players with greater than GM Poisoning and GM Magery will have a 10% chance to inflict lethal poison at distance of less than 3 tiles.
Does that mean 200 or greater in Poisoning and Magery combined like it is now? Or does that mean it's necessary to have 100 Poisoning in combination with 100 or greater Magery??

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Defensive Mastery:
Defensive mastery will now provide an increase to physical resistance which can exceed the 70% resist cap. The increase scales with Bushido/Ninjitsu and Parry skills.
How much increase for physical resistance?
Is it passive mastery?
Does any learning quest required?

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well I've just speak to other 3 persons and they are thinking about leave instead of rebuild the template again for no reason... maybe the devs plan is to sink the game or to transform it into a quake 3 arena pvp only...
Lol because you have to fit in some more chiv? And no one knows how much more? I'm going to close my 67 accounts because of _______.

Specialshoes

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the changes. My main is a bushido/chiv/swords dexxer (not a sampire) And for the most part I pvm.

Only proplem I see is that curse apple timer is a bit high.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol because you have to fit in some more chiv? And no one knows how much more? I'm going to close my 67 accounts because of _______.
I can manage it... but many can't because they are not playing all day to rebuild templates...

J

John Galt

45 second cooldown on apples is too short. Should make it 60 at least.

SunWolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I kind of find it funny, that we play an online game. I sit and watch my friends and many others build thier templates for the "current" best build or "flavor of the 6 months" and when something gets changed (as in an online will and does) people complaign or threaten about quiting. While there is other players that will figure out what the next build will be to be the first on the block.

Anyway the Infectious strike I wondered about when I read all that aswell. Chivalry, just the other day someone asked or said they was going to take it to gm so they can res people easier. I asked why are you doing that, there is no point really. Well with the changes there is a point just like every other skill to take it to gm and beyond. Sun has had chivalry since it came and it would be nice to see more added to it, like buffs.

I would like to ask remove curse as it scales up to do an area effect rather than one person. Start out as the teiring with just one target and 60+ spreads out tiles.

Delbrie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can manage it... but many can't because they are not playing all day to rebuild templates...
Exactly! 9 chars to rebuild and suits. Im tired of training, retraining and I got to a point where I was enjoying playing the game with my friends. Make changes to pvp if that is what they wasnt, just leave them out of PVM.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Block:
On executing a successful block, players will receive a bonus to their defense chance which scales with their Ninjitsu or Bushido skill for a short duration. Players will also receive a temporary penalty to their hit chance and damage. While under the block effect, the next damage the player receives will be severely reduced. (Damage reduction scales with parry skill above 70)
Does the damage reduction stack with Feint?
Divine Fury:
Bonus effects and stamina regeneration from divine fury now scale based on chivalry skill and karma. Stamina regeneration from divine fury is no longer a full refreshment, but rather a set amount of stamina.
Do the negative effects scale also? And how?
Cleanse By Fire:
Cure chance for poison has been updated.
How? Up/down
Consecrate Weapon
Consecrate Weapon no longer guarantees damage against a target’s weakest resist. Concecrate weapon now provides a scaling chance to do damage against the targets weakest resist type. At 90+ Chivalry, consecrate weapon will also offer a damage increase in addition to optimal damage type.
Does this damage increase allow you to exceed any of the damage caps?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is / would anyone use chivalry in pvp for the "burst damage?" It seems like this might only be useful for a stealther.

I can see the gen chat now "ill duel you if you take off chivalry"

I just cant see most templates devoting that many skill points to one skill where most situations 30percent increased damage taken wouldnt be viable. It would only be useful for ganks, or one on one.

5% Luck

Just looking this over brought a smile to my face!

Thank you for clearly listening to the community.

And yes my cramped template will be adjusted by about 40 points! OUCH!

Still This is a good read!

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
also we still don't have the buff/debuff icon for consacrate weapon... the time to make an icon is not enough but seems there is always time for nerfing...

LetheGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the changes...

Im wondering if Infectious strike will be looked at...as it is people can just spam it over and over with a kryss or dagger. That combined with max SSI and HLD make's it very hard to cast Arch Cure. If you remove the ability to cure Infectious Strike with potions mage's will not be viable verse it.

Also will DCI & HLD be looked at?

Thanks
Cast protection before your arch cure, problem solved.

The SDI cap increase has me concerned abit, that might be a tad high for pvp.

Even though I play a sampire and do most my pvming solo, I like how the changes will effect that aspect of the game. Seems to me they are trying to bring back the multiplayer aspect of our MMORPG. We shouldn't be able to hop on a sampire and solo 98% of the pvm content.

Over all it's nice to see that some thought and effort is being put into fixing/improving the current content!

SunWolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"also we still don't have the buff/debuff icon for consacrate weapon"
I an agree with that.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, because of the time, effort and gold spent in building a template. And the tight template is just tossed out the door.

Personally, I am going to wait and see what the numbers are.

I usually get a good chuckle out of these knee jerk reactions. Hell, I laugh at my own from time to time. :wall:

A sampire isn't that TIGHT of a template. What a change like this will do is MAKE it a tight template, and remove the small variables that currently exist in it.

Myphsar

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please explain.
Sure, just read above what they plan on chivalry.
I run 60 - 70 chivalry on most of my warriors which sounds like it will not be enough.
There is no more room unless i sacrifice jewels and kill stuff using a luna lance and use that SA order shield:dunce:
Ok, im going to copy a char and test out the changes.
If im wrong ill edit my post and shut up.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
also we still don't have the buff/debuff icon for consacrate weapon... the time to make an icon is not enough but seems there is always time for nerfing...
What is/are your templates that are going to be so nerfed by all this? How many bosses can you solo now that you will not be able to if/when this goes in prodo shards? Have you even been on Test Shard to see how this all works? Quit ranting NERF NERF NERF and give facts without all the whinning.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Once again, the focus on PvP appears to be designed less to balance PvP but more to utterly GUT* PvM while making minor impacts to PvP, especially in the Chivalry changes - as if the changes to JOAT and Special moves over the last few years weren't insulting enough.

(* not quite the most accurate word - the word I would use if I could is usually used a phrase with "and pillage".)

How about starting by undoing the damage done to PvM via "PvP changes", and then figuring out some way to make the changes effect ONLY PvP - instead of making weapon PvM the 1 or 2 trick pony it is.

It's really impressive that the most changes are to Chivalry (a skill meant for PvM), when it was already effectively turned into a secondary skill by previous rounds of changes that made most players turn their PvM weapon characters into Samurai combined with "true" spellcaster skills like Necro and mysticism - and these appear to be meant to marginalize its use outside PvP even more.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Block:
Can the penalty to Hit Chance and Damage Increase be over capped (ie- if the penalty is 20%, you can have 20% over the cap to compensate for it?)

SunWolf

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Even though I play a sampire and do most my pvming solo, I like how the changes will effect that aspect of the game. Seems to me they are trying to bring back the multiplayer aspect of our MMORPG. We shouldn't be able to hop on a sampire and solo 98% of the pvm content."

Agreed